• Published 3rd Mar 2014
  • 9,201 Views, 789 Comments

A Thief On the Rise - Alexander Jack



With Discord's help, Kestral must use his nefarious skills to undermine the Princesses, the elements, and the royal guard in order to save the lives of those that would much rather hang him.

  • ...
40
 789
 9,201
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
PreviousChapters
Comments ( 51 )

Nice chapter, are we going to have some ace attorney action next chapter? :D

Awesome to see an update.

Ya show that writer's block who's boss :yay:. On another note I'm excited to see the trial. I'm hoping the jury sees reason (they probably won't but I'm a dreamer).

Yahoo! Happy to have you back, love this story :yay:

7573236
OBJECTION!!!
Use of Ace Attorney references during a court case would be overdone.
However if used correctly these scenes can be hilarious.
I rest my case.

7573236
7573485
Unfortunately, I haven't actually played many Ace Attorney games, so I wouldn't be able to reference anything except the most obvious things.

7573470
7573435
Happy to be back.

7573883 at least it's a new chapter tho, thanks for the hard work :D

Well time for him to pull a Ted Bundy and escape through the bathroom. Let's hope he doesn't end up back in prison like bundy though.

Ah, now we see the other half of that long-forgotten bullet. Welp. That'll be hard to worm his way out of. Though I think Fluttershy might even speak up in his defense, if she's around.

That bathroom escape plan is laughable and doomed to fail. Luna, you should know better than that. Way, way too many moving parts. No plan like that ever survives contact with the enemy, except in fairy tales and magical universes.

Oh, and to 7573883 -- imagine the most ridiculous courtroom antics you could ever conceive of, then double them. That is Ace Attorney. A universe where the defense attorney is regularly ridiculed, doused with coffee, and literally whipped by the prosecution.

7575778 .......... so Equestria is not a magical universe?

7575787
Darn, I'd hoped nobody would spot that...

Still never going to work, though.

So glad we get an update

Well we found a judicial system more fucked up than America's! At least their jurors have all their options stated outright, though I wonder how they solved the problem with jurors voting based on looks rather than evidence...

7573883

There is a rather lengthy fan-video that is a cross-over of Ace Attorney and MLP. There is also a fan-game, that uses the mechanics without Ace Attorney characters. Both are well worth checking out. :twilightsmile:

Ace Attorney: Turnabout Storm (9 Hours)

My Little Investigations: True Blue Scootaloo

Ay lmao!

Really liked the doctor. One of my new favorite characters. Hope we see him a few more times.

Gotta love coincidences. Fucking bullet out of no where.

Glad You Got through writer's block. Blocks are the worst thing... Right behind losing your lunch bag just before lunch time...

Can't wait for the next one mate!

I just had one of those moments. Yea you know the ones, when you go to hit "next" button but then you suddenly notice that you are actually on the last chapter available and you didn't even notice you had red 45 chapters...yea one of those moments

When will the next chapter be coming out? I love this story so much, I understand if it takes a while for a new chapter since it's such wonderful quality.

7853844 More info is given on the eggs later on.

7854170 Did no one get where I was going?

Veni, Vidi, Vici.

I came, I saw, I conquered.

7856287 Yes, Its really well executed, the characters flesh themselves out without feeling forced, and the world building follows the story, instead of being hamfisted into separate narratives like some of the other ones. 10/10 would recommend.

7890456 damn you and your sound logic, 6 DISCOVERABLE eggs true, but 7 in total... Guess we're both right in a way

Welp, This is gonna be fun

Can't wait for the next chapter! This is a great story, and a very well written one :twilightsmile:

Just a quick question that I am not sure was answered previously, but did he not have smoke bombs made for a getaway a few chapters before getting captured? Could he not have used those to escape in the marketplace?

Wonder how the other guy's doing?
I mean,he ordered explosives for God's sake

we're all still hoping

update when? did author die or go to college or go on hiatus or what? just wanna know the current state of the story

8158441
I've been in college two years now and lost touch with my writing after i got busy.
Update eventually. This summer i didn't take a summer class like i did last time, so I'll try to get it.

[Edit]
Also, i have zero clue how to move through the the legal proceedings in the next chapter and I'm damn near ready to throw out any premise of trying to make it make sense and just starting to make shit up on the spot that sounds kinda cool/weird/whatever.

8162420 THE AUTHOR HAS SPOKEN

, That aside I'm only a few chapters behind so I kinda don't know what your talking about, but I can take a stab at it, that aside just do what you feel is right, it's your story and nobody can tell you it's written wrong or that you did something wrong (grammatical errors excluded), can't wait to see what you come up with next m8

8162420

We don't care if it sounds weird, it's like 50% why we love this story! It's different from the others and is very enjoyable with a good plot. Plus you can adapt the story to whatever you want, your the author! :rainbowwild:
Keep doing what your doing as this is a great story! :twilightsmile:

Edit: Over 800 people love what your doing so your definatly doing something right with this story:pinkiehappy:

I've been trying to figure this out, and I'm not sure if you've said it before, but is kerstral an original character, or is he from a video game? I feel like he's from the latter but every time I try looking up I get nothing. So what is it?

Sorry about the forwardsness, just tired.

8374133
.... How did it take me over a year to see that ressemblance? :rainbowhuh:

1 year, 3 months, 4 days later.... (not to orginal comment date)
And the wait still continues for the next chapter, re read this for the second time, still love it and am reminded as to why it is in my favorites, but when will we see Kestral's next legal adventure? Only time will tell.

I really hope you're going to update this fic, it's well written and the story is interesting :(

8803460
Very true, but I was just being general. Besides, I don't think that the difference would really affect kestral in any way at the ranges he's shooting at.

I really don't know why he needed a rangefinder, to be honest (bit of a digression). I doubt that he'd be shooting at ranges where he couldn't just use the crosshairs and the size of the target in the scope to gauge distance, and if he wanted to shoot past that then he should have stuck with a bolt-action rifle to maintain higher accuracy and/or asked Discord for a calibre upgrade (his rifle is 5.56, isn't it? I haven't read this in a while). If he's good enough to land shots at distances where a rangefinder is necessary, then he's good enough to not need one when he's shooting at relatively close ranges in places like ponyville and canterlot.

Rest in peace you beautiful story!

I come back here every now and again hoping to see a new chapter... I never do...

But I believe in you Jack!

Maybe this will update some day...

2 years this is dead right has anyone seen a story come back from a 2 year hiatus?

Its been a long time Jack, and I'm still waiting. I'm not sure if there is any hope for you continuing the story but, just know it is still one of my favorites, and I (as well as others) would love to see it return.

This was fun to read through again, still holds up to this day.

God I'd forgotten about this gem, sad to see it's likely not going to be finished.

Well mate you got yourself arrested. Should have fougth to death rather then surrender

Jeez this story man I absolutely love it! I hope beyond hope that by some miracle you decide to start it back up.

I know writing can be a pain in the arse and understand that the drive can be lost but damn this story is a wild ride and would love for it to continue.

Even if you had to set up a patreon or something to find motivation. you'd have my donation in a heartbeat!

I can say without a doubt that this is one of my, if not my overall, favorite stories. I like the character dynamics, the world feels fleshed out, and it can be brutal without just being overly grimdark. Kestral seems like a fun but natural-acting main character and I really like his powers and upgrade system. It's been a long while since any kind of update but I truly would love to see one no matter how unlikely it would be. I understand being burnt out on writing or just simply not wanting to do it, so there's no pressure to make you do it. That being said, I hope all is well and that there's still a chance this story can continue.

Login or register to comment