• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,081 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,081

PreviousChapters Next
Business As Usual

The announcement from the passing zeppelin did not disrupt the spirit of Evening Jubilee. Ponies from all walks of Ledomaritan life trotted eagerly towards the center of the large city. Before an enormous spire of concrete, blue metal plates, and reflective glass, a large courtyard resided. Ponies—mostly unicorn citizens—filled the area up, standing in curved lines that faced a stage positioned on a balcony overlooking the skyscraper's central entrance. Beneath the platform were the words "Nightshade Industries" displayed in bold, glittering text. Stallion guards in blue uniforms stood, flanking the entrance as they carefully eyed each chattering equine in the crowd.

Just as Phoenix and Bellesmith shuffled up to the scene, a sharply-dressed figure was alighting the platform. Belle craned her hooded neck to get as good a view as possible.

"I don't mean to sound like a thinking, breathing saddle-sore, but the longer we stand here, the more we're gonna stand out," Phoenix mumbled beneath his breath, fidgeting. "Somehow, I don't think 'Mintian Monks' are normal participants of these proceedings—"

"Shhh!" Belle insisted, her chestnut brown eyes narrowing on the stallion on the platform up above. He approached a sound stone and spoke pleasantly, his voice being broadcasted across the busy courtyard under the melting afternoon.

"And how are you all doing this fine day?!" The unicorn's smile could be seen from a mile away, much less thirty feet.

Ponies cheered and clapped their hooves against the floor. Belle glanced aside to see couples nuzzling each other and waiting the announcement with placid smiles.

"The Spark shines on the Queen, and it shines on us!" he continued. He had a slick black mane cascading over a brown, pin-striped suit that was draped over an even browner coat. "Let Blue Nova rejoice, because there is no company more benevolent or patriotic than the Madame's very own Nightshade Industries! What has the Madame been up to, lately? Why, visiting her brother in the upper Spire, of course. Novus' health has been doing much better, the Madame claims. Why shouldn't it?! Novus was named after this fair city, after all! And when Blue Nova shines, so does the Nightshade family!"

More applause rang out.

The stallion cleared his throat and levitated a crystal panel, across which he drew a glowing pen. Smiling, he read the scrolling text aloud, "I, Sir Ordo, faithful laborer of Blue Nova's finest company, am proud to present to you the latest news from Madame Nightshade's partner in the field, Prime Enforcer Seclorum." He waited for some more cheering before he continued. "According to Seclorum, several advances have been made along the eastern front. Our noble stallions have moved the war beyond the trenches, and are finally starting to advance on the cowardly hovels of the enemy. Soon, the Queen's forces will win back the fertile land taken from those tattooed savages! The Spark Endures!"

Several ponies whistled and cheered.

"This not only means a sharp increase in trade along the eastern territories, but new flight routes to the Sapphire Valley, the Ruby Highlands, and even the skyport of Gray Smoke!"

Phoenix leaned in and whispered under the latest roar of the crowd. "This is rather pathetically scripted..."

"You think?" Belle droned, her eyes locked on the skyscraper.

"Funny how they haven't said a single word about the burning of an entire forest down south," he continued. "Or the murder and manipulation of innocent ponies." He frowned. "These equines would believe anything. This 'Ordo' guy might as well be telling them that Stratopolis has been discovered."

"Stratopolis is a myth," Belle grumbled.

"I know." Phoenix fidgeted, then squinted in her direction. "See anything you were looking for?"

"Yes..." Belle pointed forward with a cloaked hoof. "This building..."

"Looks like the Nightshade HQ. What about it?"

She gulped as the stallion up above continued speaking. "I wonder if there is some way to get inside," she murmured aloud.

PreviousChapters Next