• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,076 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,076

PreviousChapters Next
Point Well Taken

The door to the infirmary swished open, and several armed guards turned to look. Many of their eyes lit up at the sight before them.

"Madame..." An older stallion in a blue uniform marched up. "He's a dangerous, well-trained pony who fractured the limbs of three of my officers." He held a hoof forward. "Please, for your own safety, I suggest you keep your distance—"

"No doubt you dealt him as much pain if not even more so by the time the door was opened the sequencing chamber," Nightshade calmly said. "Please allow me to see him. I have business to attend to."

The guard glanced behind Nightshade. Sir Ordo stood next to two intimidatingly large stallions decked out in surgical gear. With a nervous shudder, the guard stepped back. "As you wish..."

The thick group of ponies parted ways, revealing a bruised and shackled Phoenix squatting on the edge of a medicable table. He heaved in pain, his lungs whistling as blood dribbled out of his muzzle. Through a swollen eye, he glanced tiredly up at the corporate owner.

Nightsahde took a few steps forward. Calmly, she spoke over her shoulder, her eyes trained on the Franzington mercenary. "You've interrogated him?"

"Quite thoroughly, Madame."

"And have you learned anything?"

The guard cleared his throat and said, "No, ma'am. He's keeping silent."

Nightshade slowly, slowly nodded. She kept staring at Phoenix.

Phoenix didn't break his gaze either. Whatever expression he could afford beneath the fresh sea of whelts was utterly placid.

Nightshade gestured towards the two stallions in white. They nodded and trotted across the infirmary. The guards made room for them as they stood ominously behind Phoenix's figure.

The mercenary took a deep, shruddering breath. He wheezed once, but otherwise remained sitting as still as he could muster, gazing intently at Nightshade.

The mare paced before him. "Your friends escaped the building. Successfully, I might add. Oh, we know you have more than one companion. Just how many—we're not sure. What we do know is that they're very fortunate to have escaped the premises... for precisely the same reason that you have not been. I wonder... are they your family?"

Phoenix was silent.

She paused, squinting at him. "Because if you're doing this to protect family... then I can understand." She swallowed. "But it does not change the fact that what is at stake here is worth more than your life, their lives, or even my life. This country—this continent is going the way of a dying spark, and there are very few ponies with the resources and the knowledge to do something about it. Now, the Council of Ledo... they have the tools and they most definitely have the materials to pull us out of this devastating war, but they refuse. So... who then can step up to the call? Who can transform this country into something that's fertile... something capable of growing instead of giving into the ashes of all of our past mistakes? Hmm? Is it you? Is it who you work for?"

Phoenix broke his gaze with her, choosing instead to stare at the ground.

Nightshade's eyes narrowed. "I have discovered secrets... secrets that would flip this entire society up on its head. Secrets that would change the perception of everypony, leading to the collapse of fundamental philosophy and modern idealism. And yet, I have chosen to be empowered by this knowledge, and to use what I know to make a difference. It's not too late to transform this nation into something that is prosperous once again, for I have it within my ability to stop this war."

Slowly, with icy silence, she shuffled towards him.

At last she spoke, "What would you... or anypony in league with you hope to accomplish by stealing that knowlege? Is it for bits? For blood? For glory?" Her lips tensed as she added, "What is it you care for so much that you would sneak so far into this forbidden place?"

Phoenix tilted his head up. He took a long, wheezing breath before sputtering, "For a mare who wants what's best for this kingdom, you've g-got a funny way of sh-showing it..." At the end of that, he spat a wad of bloody saliva onto the tile before her.

Nightshade's eyes traveled down, then lifted back up towards him. Her brow furrowed, but before she could say anything—

"Madame!" With bumbling commotion, a messenger pony sweatily dashed into the room, squeezing past a few guards. "Madame Nightshade! Urgent news from the industrial center!"

Nightshade swiveled about. "What is it?"

The pony winced before stammering, "It's Overseer Fatch. He's been detained, and the whole sector is on lockdown."

"Lockdown?!" Nightshade gnashed her teeth. "By whom?"

"Enforcers, Madame. There's an entire blockade formed at the bottom and at the top of the buildings. Both zeppelin and hoof traffic have been blocked off. Word is that more of the Queen's soldiers are being assembled on the northeast side of Blue Nova. I've been sent to warn you, in case any Enforcers come here next..."

Sir Ordo began shivering. "The Council of Ledo..." He gulped. "It's all a conspiracy! They're onto us!"

Nightshade was silent. She spun back around and glared at Phoenix. "Who do you work for, really?"

Phoenix said nothing this time.

Nightshade's nostrils flared. "Very well. If I can't get the truth from your mouth, I will from your mind. Sir Ordo?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"Prepare the table." After a breath, she spoke without looking to the two heavy-set stallions. "Gentlecolts... prepare him."

Phoenix blinked—only to have two telekinetic fields thrust him forward. He was slammed chest-first against the bed. Two pairs of forelimbs held him in place with an iron-grip before he could even try breaking free. Then, quicker than a heartbeat, an electrified hatchet flew across his skull. With a hideous whack, the end of Phoenix's horn shattered completely.

"Gaaaa-hauuugh!" the stallion shrieked. His face tensed to the breaking point as his eyes turned red and blood trickled out of his ears. "Grrnngh—mmmmmfff-haaaugh!" He writhed and twisted in the ponies' grasp, powerless to stop them from applying a series of cables and electrodes to his sparkling stub. The sequencing device only magnified the waves of pain coursing through him. "Mmmmmmnnnghhhh..." He hissed before sobbing openly into the infirmary bed.

"Keep his vitals steady for as long as I am sequenced," Nightshade said unemotionally as she laid down, affixing cables to her stub. "Sir Ordo?"

The stallion stood, squirming, staring at Phoenix's tortured figure.

Nightshade spoke sharper. "Ordo..."

The stallion looked over with a jerk.

Her eyes were still as stone. "Your assistance, if I could."

"Yes... Y-yes, but of course, Madame Nightshade." He trotted briskly over.

"Much appreciated." She fully reclined, shutting her eyes as Ordo activated the apparatus. "Do not worry about the Council. Sooner or later, I will have answers."

PreviousChapters Next