• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,080 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,080

PreviousChapters Next
Ticket to Ride

"It should be just past this corridor!" Tweak shouted, galloping as swiftly as he could up a steep line of granite steps. The glow of his body and all the crystal ponies running behind him lit up the dim corridor with shimmering luminescence. "Stay close! If we run into any bounty hunters, stand behind me and I'll reduce them to smoldering shrapnel!"

"Unngh..." Crimson stumbled once or twice, fighting a wave of dizziness as he struggled to take up the rear. "This would be a lot easier without the nausea..."

He felt a gentle tug of telekinesis. Looking to his side, he saw Imre giving him a boost as she ran alongside the group.

"It's the crystal ponies' mana interference with your horn's leylines," she droned. "You're likely to feel a great deal of dizziness and discomfort—"

"Yes, yes. I'm well acquainted with all of that, thanks." Crimson picked up the pace, hobbling up the stairs on three limbs and a splintery prosthetic. "You seem to be doing very well for yourself."

"I'm used to it. I've treated most of these ponies, remember? Still..." She glanced behind her flank in mid sprint.

Crimson looked back at her. He said, "What is it? Are we forgetting something?"

Imre shuddered. "Rainbow Dash is battling Lady Pestiferous all on her own..."

"She can handle that freak," Crimson said. "I've seen the pegasus in action. She's a tough cookie."

"You make it sound sweet that she's likely bleeding out her frickin' guts to save our flanks."

"Beneath all of the butt-kicking and the guile, you bet it's sweet. I've seen it—the way she dives after her friends..."

"Friends?"

"Look, we all have something worth getting out of here for," Crimson grunted. "Most of us, at least." He gave her a sideways glance. "You aren't... worried, are you?"

Imre stared back at him, blinked, then muttered, "Don't be ridiculous. Rainbow Dash is all that stands between us and the Top Spear of Searo's Hold."

"Hmmph..." Crimson smirked tiredly, facing ahead as he continued his gallop. "You may have been locked away in this place Spark knows how long, but your blood isn't nearly as cold as the rest of the mares."

"You wanna put that to the test—?"

"Shhhh!" Tweak hissed. "Shut your traps, everypony! We're almost there!"

As the group arrived at the top of the ascending corridor, the thunderous noise of manafire exchange and explosions lit the air. Tweak peaked out onto the hangar, his breaths coming and going in little spurts. At last, he smiled and hoarsely whispered back to the group.

"Guess what! Our posse is still there! As well as the ship! Boy, do I know how to pick the right stuff..."

"Sounds like a party out there," Crimson uttered. "How many mares have shown up?"

"I'm guessing a dozen. They're all bunched up along the south end of the hangar. My boys have them pinned down with rifle fire."

"I know the metal mares around here are meatheaded," Imre said, poking her head into the group of stallions. "But they're not exactly mindless drones. If so many of them are holed up in one spot, it only means another group is either trying to attack your friends' flank or utilize a secret weapon."

"Tweak?" Crimson looked over. "What do you think? Should we risk it?"

Tweak took a deep breath. He glanced over his shoulder at Lucky Strike leaning against another stallion. "I certainly didn't come all this way to do figure skating." He turned and looked at Crimson. "I'll run out first and draw their fire. You and Miss Sunshine there cover these stallions with your magic while they make a break for the manaship. I'll come up the rear."

Imre frowned. "I don't recall enlisting in your little battallion here."

"Yeah, and I don't remember gutting your bowels with a fork!" Tweak shouted in her face. "But everything's subject to change, now isn't it, cupcake?!"

"Hmmph..." Imre crossed her forelimbs indignantly.

"I got it, Tweak," Crimson calmly said, charging up his horn. "I'll get your stallions to safety. Now... after you..."

"Be careful, brother," Lucky Strike nervously insisted.

"I never am..." Tweak charged his manarifle, held his breath, then charged ravenously out into the open floor of the rubble-strewn hangar. "Yaaaaaaaaaaah! Eat mana, you crud sponges!" The sound of his shouts were absorbed by the utter cacophony of his rapidly firing rifle. Streams of energy ate their way across the open room, knocking several mares off their flanks and backing them even further behind the flimsy line of defense they had erected besides the distant entrance ot the place.

In the meantime, Crimson was galloping forward, positioning himself between the many stallions making a run for the crystal ponies defending Aeterna's manaship. He erected a force field of energy in time to deflect several metal mares' return volleys. At one point, his shield flickered, threatening to dissipate. In timely fashion, Imre galloped up and reinforced it with a flash of energy. Crimson sweatily smiled in gratitude, but Imre simply glared past him, gesturing for more stallions to make the crossing.

At last, Tweak's rifle burned red hot. The very barrel melted and fused shut; he had fired too many discharges within a span of thirty seconds. Cursing under his breath, he tossed the item down, swiveled about, and galloped towards the group while weaponfire exchanged back and forth over his twitching, crystalline ears.

"Alright! Let's lower our energy field and get the manaship to turn on again! I wanna get home in time for—"

Three smoking objects were suddenly lobbed over his head. He skidded to a stop, gasped, and shouted, "Bombs! Get down!"

Crimson and his fellow ponies looked up. Three large, fragmentary explosives—with fully lit, sparkling fuses—rattled to a stop between them and the escape craft. He gritted his teeth and summoned a force field just in time.

The resulting explosion made everypony's ears ring. Bits of shrapnel flew in every direction. Half of them splashed violently against Crimson's energy barrier. The other half flew murderously into Aeterna's manaship. The ship shattered in many places. At last, the manacore ruptured, and the vessel went up in a huge fireball that heated up the entire hangar.

"Nnngh—Gaah!" Crimson hissed as steam rose from his coat. He fell back, only for Imre and a crystal pony to embrace him. They slid him away from the wreckage and towards the suddenly helpless group of escapees.

Tweak, dumbfounded, spun around. He spotted a hole that had been freshly blasted only ten meters away. Standing in the fresh gap of sundered rock was Terra, along with three other mares. Though their armor and gadgetry were dormant from the crystal ponies' aura, it didn't stop them from brandishing several primitive fuse bombs and a miniature catapult mechanism.

"I'm sorry, was that your ticket out of here?" Terra's meaty face grinned within the metal brace of her helmet piece. "Well, it looks like I've found you another ticket that's faster..." Her eyes narrowed. "And bloodier."

And her fellow warriors loaded new bombs into the catapult...

PreviousChapters Next