• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,076 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,076

PreviousChapters Next
Party All Night

“I don't... suppose... it's worth asking...” Eagle Eye panted in mid-sprint. “Where... exactly... we're going...?”

“Land's sakes, boy!” Tweak uttered from halfway ahead of him. All three ponies followed the darting figure of Rainbow Dash down a long, narrow corridor laced with glowing blue leylines. “You always this out of breath?! Fancy one of us carryin' you?”

Eagle Eye frowned sweatily. “I haven't eaten or slept a lot lately...” He glanced aside at the spray-painted numbers that they passed. “Anypony mind answering my question?”

“Beats me where we're headed!” Rainbow Dash's voice cracked from far ahead. “So long as Pilate's there, then we're gold! According to Roarke's manaship sensor thingy, he should be somewhere ahead of us!”

“But is this a dead-end or...?” Eagle Eye began.

“The numbers seem to be counting down,” Imre droned as they passed the number “06” and “05” and eventually “04.” “Whatever is down here, we're about to stumble into it.”

“Hey paint bucket!” Tweak called ahead to the armored pegasus. “You see anything?!”

“I... I...” Rainbow Dash's eyes squinted. Up ahead, beyond the haze of blue lights, the corridor opened up into a large chamber. “I think there's a chamber up ahead!”

“What kind of a chamber?!”

“Look, I dunno! You guys slow down some and let me scout it out!”

“Don't go too far ahead, Rainbow!” Imre exclaimed.

“Holler if you need anything, Missy!” Tweak threw in.

Rainbow Dash kicked her thrusters into a hotter burn and rocketed ahead. The thin space of the corridor echoed with her momentum as she roared past the last few numbers and into the open space beyond. The air was cooler here, and as Rainbow Dash lifted into a gentle hover, she heard the hum of fans directly overhead. She gazed up and saw several enormous grates, beyond which metal blades spun, channeling ventilated air down from the surface world.

“Whew-wee...” She blinked, her mouth dropping open. “This place was definitely built to last.” She saw a glint of yellow light, and she looked ahead. An extremely large door of reflective metal hung before her, bolted into the concrete foundation in several places. “What do they got in there? Cerberus?”

There was a clatter of hooves to her left.

“What in blazes' name is that rumbling noise?”

“Somepony has followed us...”

“Who?! Who?!”

“My word...”

Rainbow Dash spun, and her blood ran cold.

Four ponies were staring up at her, struggling to hack into a mana conduit of sorts. With bright eyes, three of them froze in fright. One wasn't even bothering to tilt his head up. A hovering sphere rotated around his haggard features, illuminating every black and white band of his coat.

A sharp breath left the pegasus' mouth. “P-Pilate...?”

He gasped in like turn, aiming O.A.S.I.S. in her general direction. “Rainbow Dash?!”

“Oh, Stripesey!” Rainbow smiled wide. With forelimbs outstretched, she soared loudly down at him. “Boy am I glad to see you—”

“Hnnnngh!” A large brown figure charged in from the side, slamming Rainbow's armored body with a forest of antlers.

“Oooof!” Rainbow Dash flew to the side, pinballed off a concrete wall, and somehow uprighted herself just in time to come to a gliding stop with smoking horseshoes. Bruised and rattled, she looked up, frowning. “What in the tap-dancing heck just hit me?! A Hearth's Warming Tree?!”

Her eyes scanned across the four frightened ponies, the corridor, a seven hundred pound elk, and the reflective metal door.

“Where are you?! Show yourself!”

“The vomit bucket's face is covered with spit to have attacked Floydien's friends and not smelled the spit!”

Rainbow's ruby eyes went crosseyed. Her gaze snapped back to the elk. “Buh?”

With crooked red eyes, the earth-colored creature grind his cloven hooves and aimed its sharp antlers forward. “Back to the light and the splitting with your spitting, yes yes?!”

“Floydien!” Pilate outstretched a limb. “No!”

“I dunno who you are, but I'm sure you can get punched just like everything else in this world!” Rainbow Dash shot forward like a bullet. “Haaaugh!”

“Rainbow Dash! Please! Stop—”

“Bend backwards, boomer!” Floydien shouted, his voice distorting beyond a wave of mana as his antlers grew brighter than the sun.

Rainbow Dash's hooves thrashed as she tried in futility to brake in mid-air. “Whoah whoah whoah whoah—What?!

The antlers produced a sphere of psionic energy that flew straight at her, knocking her armored body back like a pummeled hoofball.

“Ooof!” She slammed into a nearby wall, wincing and spitting up blood and smoke. “I did not fly eight thousand miles to become a hackey-sack for Sparky the Wonder Deer!”

“Boomer puts her stab where her mouth is, yes yes?!”

“No no, ya diabetic reintard!” Rainbow Dash vaulted forward, flipped, and flew diagonally at the creature. “Hiyaaaaugh!”

Her hooves flew violently across Floydien's muzzle. Floydien sneered and flung a burning swath of antlers at her figure. She backflipped, hooked a limb around the one part of his branches that wasn't burning, and swung so that her lower hooves smacked his front legs in the knees.

“Ooof!” Floydien slammed down, belly-first. Rainbow Dash immediately mounted his back, holding his massive neck in an angry legbar. “Nnnngh! Let go of Floydien's neck! That is Floydien's favorite neck!” His red eyes twitched and glowed as pulse after pulse of psionic energy bounced off the walls.

The ponies ducked low, flinching, as Pilate screamed into the melee. “Please! You both have it wrong! We're all on the same side!”

“Striped... boomer... is m-mistaken!” Floydien hissed and struggled.

“Wanna explain why Hairy McHookHead threw a glowing death loogey at me?!” Rainbow Dash grunted, trying to cut off the oxygen in the elk's skull. Just then, her body tingled with telekinetic energy. “Oh Celestia, please tell me he doesn't have magic farts too—Gaaah!” She shrieked as her entire body floated upside down over the scene.

A little brown rodent mounted Floydien's panting body. It was a gray squirrel with hollow black eyes and a sparkling teslacoil poking out of each end of his skull. With an angry shriek, it levitated Rainbow Dash higher and higher.

Rainbow blinked at the thing, then droned in Pilate's direction. “Okay. Who ordered the Nightmare Fuel Army? Was it you, Pilate?”

“I... uhm...” The zebra winced then waved his forelimbs. “Everypony, just calm down. Please, we're all in this together—”

“Freeze where you are!” Tweak shouted, rushing into the room with his rifle trained. Eagle Eye posed beside him with sparkling tasers, as did Imre with a pistol nervously raised. “Let go of Rainbow Dash before we put you through of holes—” He blinked.

A twitching, electrical squirrel levitated Rainbow Dash upside down above a wheezing elk whose glowing antlers illuminated three ponies huddled behind a blind zebra with a floating manasphere.

Tweak blinked again, then lowered his rifle entirely. “Shucks... I plum don't know where to start...”

“Heehee!” A brightly-coated mare fell back on her haunches, slapping her knees and giggling. “He said 'plum!'”

“Ahem...” A stallion trotted forward, his gray coat reflecting the shimmer of the squirrel's telekinesis. “I think this situation calls for some delicacy.” He turned to smile at Tweak's group, his brown eyes calm beneath a thin black mustache and goatee. “Hello, my fine crystal fellow.” He extended a hoof. “I am Jasper Clark. It's a northern name.”

“Right...” Tweak awkwardly shook it. “As opposed to a southern name?”

“I knew you would understand,” Clark said with a smile.

Tweak stared at him blankly.

“Ahem, never mind then.” Clark gestured towards his cutie mark of a ruler and a compass. “I'm a graduate from the Central Confederate Academy of Technological Sciences. The fine madame in our midst is Props. We were both... erm... 'acquired' against our will by Nightshade Industries to design the energy core to a zeppelin, and this fine fellow by the name of Ebon Mane, a fine cook, was captured along with us. Now, beyond this door, there is a large hangar full of zeppelins, all appropriated illicitly by Nightshade and the forces at her disposal. Thanks to the assistance of Mr. Pilate here—whom, no doubt, you have come here to find—we broke free from our imprisonment within the upper spires of Blue Nova's northern industrial district. Along the way, we gladly received the generous albeit explosive assistance of Mr. Floydien, the elk whom your friend tried choking, and his rodent companion, curiously named 'Simon.' I do believe Mr. Pilate would be better at relating to them...”

“Rainbow Dash, please, just try and calm down,” Pilate said.

“It's a little hard to be either pissed or pacified when I'm not even able to control my own body...” the mare grumbled.

Pilate moved his face in the squirrel's general direction. “Simon?”

With a sigh, the squirrel lowered his telekinetic field.

Rainbow Dash breathed with relief. “That's much better—Whoah!” She fell down to the concrete floor with a thud.

Pilate winced, but nevertheless trotted forward to help Rainbow up. “Shortly after I was tossed from Enforcer Shell's vessel, I landed in the good grace of Floydien.”

“Nnngh... the stripes and the glimmer become us all now, yes yes?” the elk muttered while struggling to get up.

Gulping, Pilate smiled nervously and said, “He's... a rather eccentric fellow, but it's thanks to him that I'm here to begin with.”

“I don't get it...” Rainbow Dash murmured, still trying to catch her breath. “Why'd you even come here to begin with?”

“Nancy Jane awaits Floydien!” The elk stood up, only to slam his hooves down angrily into the ground. One red eye twitched bigger than the other. “Enough time has been wasted on spit as it is!”

“He... has a beloved here,” Pilate said. “He wanted to do battle with the Nightshade security guards responsible for... erm... holding her hostage.”

“We were just in the middle of trying to hack our way through the door when you flew in.” The burgundy stallion trotted up, bearing a calm face and soft brown eyes. “Props and Clark were just about to make some headway, but then... well... this turned into a royal rumble.”

Rainbow Dash squinted at him and his sailboat cutie mark. “And you are...?”

“Ahem... Ebon Mane...” He smiled awkwardly. “The cook.”

“Can you make a Summer Cider Alfredo?”

“Erm... I'm afraid not.”

“Then shut up.” Rainbow looked back at Pilate. “You mean to tell me that you guys sneaked your way into this underground place all on your own?”

“We had very little choice,” Pilate said. “The city is filled to the brim with Ledomaritan soldiers, and without warning!”

“Something tells me that they caught wind of you being here and went nuts,” Rainbow Dash said. She slumped back on her haunches and sighed. “As usual...”

“And... uhm...” Pilate shivered. “I-I have reason to believe that Shell may be here, Rainbow.”

“Yeah. Uh huh. I just kicked his flank.”

Pilate did a blind double-take. “You... y-you did?”

“Yup.”

“Dare I ask what became of him?”

“I think I killed him.”

Eagle Eye cleared his throat.

Rainbow Dash's ears drooped as she muttered without looking, “...again.”

Pilate shrugged that off and said, “Well, just what brought you to Blue Nova?”

“I was looking for you!” Rainbow Dash pointed wildly. “We were all looking for you! Crimson and Roarke are out there, blasting the heck out of managliders! We don't have much time before they—”

“Wait...” Pilate's metal brow scrunched in confusion. “Roarke?”

“Uhm... er... yeah...”

“You have enlisted the help of that metal mare?”

“Totally. Why, does that freak you out?”

“Well, I... tr-trust your judgment, Rainbow Dash. It's just that...”

“Yeah...?”

“Can... Can you really trust her? I mean, those of Searonese standing?”

“Celestia, I hope so...” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “I only—like—had the most stupid battle arena adventure trying to win her over.”

“Really...?”

“Yeah. There were explosions, Ursa Majors, and giant leprotic spider mares. It was actually kind of cool.”

“Floydien is intrigued...”

Rainbow Dash frowned at the elk. “Nobody told you to talk, pointy!”

“Seems like you went through a heck of a lot of heck to save our special little Pilate-poo!” chirped a happy voice.

Rainbow Dash glared past Clark and Ebon. “Yes! And we're getting nothing good accomplished by just sitting here on our—Hello!” Rainbow's jaw dropped.

A lithe, peach-coated mare with sparkling blue eyes and a flowing blonde mane grinned with teeth that sparkled crystal-clean in the manalight. “Pizz fah wizz! Your mane looks like a Model B Xonan Battlecruiser Engine exploded all over a cloud!” Props giggled with the sound of happy bells, her cutie mark of two steam handles wriggling with an added bounce beneath a bandolier stuffed with various tinkering tools. “I bet it smells just like Eastern Jet Extract too!”

“Uhhhhh...” Rainbow gulped and immediately looked the other way with flushed cheeks. “Uhhh... yeah, sure...” She fidgeted. “Smells like lots and lots of jets. Ahem.”

“Well, we can attempt getting this door open,” Jasper Clark said.

“What would that accomplish?” Imre asked.

“Nancy Jane waits for Floydien and Floydien's friends,” the elk grunted. “Also bright blue freedom beyond glimmer spit.”

“Ehhh...?” Rainbow looked towards Pilate with a twisted expression.

“We're attempting to spring an escape from the hangar,” Pilate said. “There should be plenty of zeppelins to choose from.”

“We could get your other friends to rendezvous with us here!” Ebon said.

“First thing's first!” Props frowned towards the door with a toss of her golden mane. “We gotta get that meanie-weanie metal unstuck from its stickiness!”

“Well, you've got a magical god-squirrel,” Rainbow Dash said, pointing at the twitching rodent in question. “Shouldn't that get you a leg up?”

“We were hoping not to resort to brute force unless we absolutely had to,” Clark said with a dull expression. “There is no telling what's on the other side.”

“O.A.S.I.S. has already sensed multiple bodies,” Pilate said. “I'm certain that whatever hold Nightshade has had on this hangar, she's not going to let go of it easily.”

“Well, alrighty then!” Tweak pumped his rifle. “Throw the damn door open and let me at 'em! She can't very well hold onto something when her leg's shot off!”

Ebon Mane groaned. “Please don't tell me we're just going to be answering violence with violence...”

“Look, if you don't like the smell of the train,” Rainbow Dash grumbled, “Then feel free to jump off!”

Ebon frowned. “I just think this would be a lot better for everypony if we could find a solution peacefully...”

“Peacefully?!” Rainbow Dash did a double-take. “Just how long have you been locked up, salt-shaker?! My buddies and I here had to break through a mile-thick blockade of every hot headed Ledomaritan this side of the warfront! I want a perfect world as much as you do, but Shell's army isn't letting us out of this city easily!”

“Every spit glimmers the same,” Floydien grunted.

Rainbow squinted his way. “The hay is that supposed to mean...”

“Rainbow...” Pilate rested a hoof gently on her shoulder. “I am immeasurably happy that you came here to save me. But please, listen to my friends. They're more than just fugitives in arms, they're a think tank... and a source of good counsel. I'm certain, with our collective mind and spirit, we can think of a way out of here that involves as few fireworks as possible.”

“Pilate—”

“Just give them a chance.”

“Nnngh... Yeah, okay...” Rainbow Dash leaned back on her haunches with folded arms. “We just can't take forever, y'know? As soon as we spring you out of here and reunite with Roarke, we gotta head west and find Belle—”

Pilate gasped, his jaw agape. “You...” He gulped. “You kn-know where Belle is?”

Rainbow Dash blinked. She scratched the back of her neck above the armor and smiled nervously. “Yeah... uhm... Eagle Eye has reason to believe she's alive and well, and out of enforcer custody. If we search west of here, I'm sure that we'll find her...”

“And... Eagle Eye is alive as well...?” Pilate gazed into nothingness with a slowly evolving smile. “You... Crimson... Eagle Eye...” The zebra inhaled sharply, and his gray eyes watered. “Bellesmith. Oh, Bellesmith, my love...” He ran a hoof over his weary head and glowing plate. “I've been so caught up... so stressed.” He seethed. “Oh, blessed Spark, thank you... th-thank you...”

Rainbow Dash smiled awkwardly. She reached a hoof forward to hug him, but Ebon Mane had already beaten her to it.

“Oh, Pilate... I'm so glad for you,” Ebon said. Clark trotted up and placed a hoof on the quivering zebra's shoulder.

“Looks like your good deeds are being repaid, good friend. We'll have you with your beloved sooner than you know it.”

“Yaaaay!” Props slid in, hugging all three of them into a warm embrace. “Everypony is beloved! Heeeheeehee!”

Pilate chuckled helplessly. Simon barked and alighted one shoulder after another across the felicitous scene.

Rainbow Dash blinked, her smile fading slightly as she saw Pilate surrounded by so many kindly souls. She fidgeted in her armor, hanging her head—along with the confused expression plastered across it.

Imre saw it from afar. She cleared her throat and trotted forward. “I suppose... uhhh... you might want to know who the rest of us are. For—like—simplicity's sake.” She pointed at herself. “I'm Imre, and... well... I guess all you need to know is that I'm an expert medic at patching ponies up.” Silence. She groaned and rolled her eyes. “For Pete's sake, why am I even here...?”

“The name's Tweak,” the crystal pony said proudly, leaning on his rifle. “And I think I'm warmin' up to this crew already.” He turned aside and slapped Eagle Eye upside the horn.

“Dah! Jeez! I get it!” Eagle Eye trotted forward, still trying to smooth out his mane. “Uhm... and I'm Eagle Eye, from... er... Franzington...”

“Eagle Eye?” Clark glanced over. “Franzington? Why, that's home to many a mercenary guild.”

“Yes, and that's a whole thing I really don't want to get into at the moment—”

A blonde blur soared forward, gazing straight into Eagle's face. “Wait! Say your name again!” Props bounced. “Say it! Say it! Say it!”

“Uhm... Eagle Eye?”

“That's a colt's name!”

“Uh... yes?”

“Oh. My. Goddess.” Props scooped him up into a crushing hug. “You. Are. The. Most. Beautiful. Stallion!”

“Snkkkkt—Spkkkt!” Eagle Eye flailed a hoof loose towards the other end of the chamber. “Somepony... anypony...” he wheezed. “I'm dr-drowning in blondeness!”

“Ahem...” Rainbow Dash turned around, trotting her red-face away. “You're on your own, handsome.”

“Pretty... please...?”

Ebon chuckled, patting Pilate's back as he shuffled over. “Okay, Propsy. Put the pretty pony down.”

“Awwwwwwwww... but I dun wanna, Ebonnnnnny...”

“Propsy. You want nothing but asparagus for a week once we're back in Gray Smoke?”

“Eeeps!” Eagle Eye gasped as she dropped him like a bad habit. “Oh no! D-Do you think I broke him?”

“I doubt it. Looks like he can bounce.”

“Heeheehee!”

“Room... is... sp-spinning...”

“Nnngh... What spithole has Floydien fallen into...?”

PreviousChapters Next