• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,077 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,077

PreviousChapters Next
Chalk It Up

Pilate's ears rang from the sound of a chalkboard being slid across the room.

"Here we have our latest design for the... "cage," as we are apt to call it," Jasper Clark said. "Though, it's not so much a cage as it is a container..."

"And it's not so much a container as it is the golden nugget of a rumble-tumble magic machine!" Props' voice chirped.

"I see..." Pilate said. "Or, more appropriately, I am about to see..."

"Is this for real?" Ebon Mane could be heard saying. Pilate sensed him and the other two ponies bunching together from another one of the pulses emanating from Simon's position. "That metal ball thingy is going to help you read what my buddies here have been working on?"

"It's not nearly as user-friendly as it sound," Pilate said, all the while loosening his O.A.S.I.S. sphere and levitating it towards the chalkboard. "It helps to concentrate and have a mimetic memory, both of which I excel at."

"Er... does that mean that we all gotta shut our traps?" Ebon asked.

"So long as you don't blast music into my ears or ask me to dance..." Pilate's metal brow furrowed as he activated the manasphere, flashing a wide beam against the chalkboard and sweeping across. "...I should be fine..."

"Ooooh! Lookie! Lookie! He's got his own headlights!"

"Those are runes, Props. They're obviously facilitating the channeling of magic without the aid of physical mana conduits." Clark's voice was droning. "I mean, just what have you been working with all this time?"

"I just never expected to see them on a living, breathing, ear-twitching pony!"

"I, for one, have never seen them in action," Ebon Mane said, and his smile could practically be felt through his voice. "Though, I'm rather envious. I've heard of chefs from clear across the Confederacy who have used rune spells to heat up stroganoffs and omelettes... like... perfectly."

"Awwww! Well, Ebony, I betcha you could have saved up for some runes and made us an omelette in Gray Smoke!"

"Props, what good would runes be without a horn? I don't have one, remember?"

"Not on your head at least. Snkkkt-Heeheehee!"

"Ungh... Just what did you eat in Gray Smoke before I found you? Engine grease and dead pigeons?"

"Enough!" Clark grumbled. "The both of you! Can't you see that he needs to concentrate in order to evaluate our—"

"My stars..." Pilate murmured, his jaw dropping. "This... this is uncanny..."

"Ahem..." Clark's hooves clopped closer as he shuffled towards the zebra. "It's our latest prototype, mind you. The first three failed because the metal container wasn't strong enough to contain the energy source. The purpose, you see, is to keep the energy intact while at the same time using it to power the zeppelin in its trip. The sheer amount of propulsion that the vessel will receive is beyond average—"

"I have seen these runes before..." Pilate pointed blindly to where he had sensed a series of symbols built around the circumference of a solid ring. "Do you know what their purpose is?"

Clark sighed and said, "Blasted if we did. We don't know their names or their meaning, only that they are bound to the energy and the engery is somehow bound to them all the same."

"It's like a whole heapin' mana family!" Props exclaimed.

"But..." Ebon shuffled closer. "How could you have seen any of these runes before? They're top secret information kept by Nightshade and her guards!"

"In my travels," Pilate murmured. "I have stumbled upon them." He pointed at a pair of emblems. "This is Austraeoh." He pointed to the next couple. "This is Eljunbyro..." At last, he pointed at a singular emblem that almost looked like a vase or a dumbbell. "This... I have seen from a book pried from the dead hooves of a centuries-old pegasus, lost within the bowels of an abandoned cave..."

"Oooooooh..." Props cooed.

"A... pegasus...?" Ebon stammered.

"He means a fabled flying pony," Clark remarked. "Although... coming from him, I trust it is not so fabled..."

"What in Spark's name could Nightshade need or want with these runes?" Pilate swept the beam of O.A.S.I.S. across the chalkboard again, sensing the symbols in their entirety. Altogether—in singulars or in pairs—there were twelve runes total. "What's more, how did she stumble upon—?"

Just then, the building shook and the windows rattled. Simon chattered in mixed anger and fear, and in the next pulse from O.A.S.I.S., Pilate sensed half-a-dozen metal bodies surging past the floor they were on and heading south towards the zeppelin crash site.

"Ungh!" Ebon's voice grunted. "I really, realy hate it when they do that!"

"You'd think they'd have better sense around their own property," Clark grumbled.

"Those... didn't sound like the same aircraft that Nightshade uses," Pilate said. "The noise of the manathrusters is different."

"Yeah! He's right!" Props exclaimed. "The engines sound way cleaner and fresh! Like they were manufactured within the last year!"

"What, pray tell, are you trying to tell us?" Clark said.

Pilate couldn't help but shiver. "I think... uhm... I think that I should be trying to get you three out now, sooner than later..."

PreviousChapters Next