• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,081 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,081

PreviousChapters Next
Mouths of Foals

"This way!" Kera chirped in mid-scamper. She slid around a concrete corner, hung right, and galloped down a narrow corridor brimming with steam pipes and mana conduits. "Last one's a slightly less rotten egg!" The filly hopped a horizontal row of pipes stretching across a thin space lined with refuse.

"W-wait!" Bellesmith stammered. Every panting breath made her want to wretch; the stench was so bad. In an awkward jump, she cleared the pipes, then sprinted after the little foal. "Please! You're moving too fast! We're gonna lose you!" She looked behind her flank. "Mr. Phoenix?!"

"Shhh!" He slid into view, barreled after the others, and leapt over the pipes with appropriate skill Possessing stronger muscles, the stallion easily caught up with the dainty mare and nudged her into a faster trot. "No shouting! They're right behind us! They'll hear!"

"Hey, if you can't keep up, throw up!" Kera's voice sang, her voice echoing across the chilling space. She darted to the left, disappearing from view. "There's no room for sore saddles on the smell train!"

"What in the heck is she—?!" Phoenix gargled.

"Just follow her!" Bellesmith panted as they came upon the corner. "She's our only help!"

"Hey!" Kera's voice echoed. "What comes before goose?"

"Little foal, we're trying to—" Phoenix sped around the corner and immediately banged his head on two low-hanging pipes. "Aaaugh! Nnngh—"

"Duck!" Kera said from where she perched atop a bunch of crates. Giggling, she sprang off like a diver and made for a flat wall of polished stone from a looming skyscraper in front of them. "Come on! This way to Blue Belly!"

"Mmmf..." Phoenix crouched and lurched forward, rubbing his throbbing head with a hoof. "Some help..."

"Blue... Belly...?" Bellesmith murmured aloud.

The sound of scraping hooves echoed from behind.

"Go... Just go!" Phoenix hissed.

The two jumped over the crates and navigated a complicated forest of interlaced pipes. In flickering blurs, they spotted the bounding figure of Kera ahead, and they did their clumsy best to catch up with her. Ultimately, the filly ended up having to stop and wait over the course of twenty seconds for them to arrive at her location. And when they did—

"Spark alive!" Phoenix stammered, his eyes twitching. "A dead end!"

"Wh-what?" Belle exclaimed, looking every which way. The spot they had entered was a junction of three separate skyscrapers. The different buildings met together in one location, forming a curved wall and cutting the length of the alleyway at the head.

"What is this?!" Phoenix turned and snarled at the filly. "You did this on purpose?! I should have known better than to have us follow you! You want more than our books!"

"Well, duh." Kera stuck her tongue out. "Some food would be nice."

"Food?!"

"But we can totally talk about that later. Right now, it's Shinies Time!"

Belle blinked. "Shinies... Time...?"

Kera lowered her hood, once again exposing her bushy green mane. She pivoted towards a solid wall, held her breath, and concentrated. That silver tattoos along her body glowed like burning embers. Energy wafted up her body, coalesced in her room, and shot into the wall with a concentrated burst.

"It's amazing that a foal that young can pull off magic like that," Belle murmured.

"Ms. Bellesmith, now's not the time," Phoenix grumbled, looking over his shoulder. "They're coming for us and—"

A loud groan shook through the buildings. The same glow that had fluctuated through Kera was now pulsing across the granite slab. The two adults watched in awe as a door appeared, sliding up and exposing a narrow chamber within the centermost building. A dull blue glow inside the structure permeated rising mists and steam. From a distant glance, the passageway appeared to descend beyond the street-level surface.

"Ta-daaa!" Kera spun around with a grin. "What'd I tell you?! Blue Belly! Cuz it lets us go into the stomach of Blue Nova! Heehee!" She motioned with her head. "Come on, I'll show ya!"

Phoenix fidgeted, looking behind him as the pursuing enforcers grew closer. "Will it close shut behind us?"

"Uhhh... Do mules love onion rings?!" Kera motioned again. "Get your flanks in here! The smell's not so bad once you get used to it!"

"I don't think we have any other choice, Phoenix," Belle said softly.

"Story of my frickin' life." Phoenix motioned. "After you."

Cautiously, Belle stepped in. Phoenix followed, and not long after, Kera gave the wall another zap with her horn. The slab closed up behind them, just in time to shut the three off from the dead end long before the enforcers would arrive and scratch their collective horns in utter confusion.

"It's... a sewer?" Belle remarked, squinting through the steamy blue air.

"More like a maintenance hatch," Phoenix muttered. He took one sniff, regretted it, and struggled to hold his lunch in. "Nnngh... most Ledomaritan cities of this size funnel their waste and garbage through an elevated pipe system much like what we're seeing here. Each block has a mana-powered incinerator located within the largest building."

"Guess it makes sense why they'd lock a place like this up for only qualified ponies to access."

"And guess who's figured out all the locks?!" Kera tossed back at them as she innocently cavorted through the pungent fumes. "Only cuz they taught me how to pick them good!"

"Wait..." Belle narrowed her eyes. "Who taught you?"

"You've got pretty eyes," the filly suddenly said. "I bet your mane would look twice as good too."

Belle blinked at that. "Er, uhh... thanks—"

Kera shot back in a pale bolt and leaned towards the two, beaming. "My name's Kera Tin Mehjj! That's 'Kera' for short. 'Meh' if you feel like yawning."

"Uhm..." Belle shifted nervously and gave her a sisterly smile. "That's a very... uh... pretty name, Miss... Mehjj?"

"Ungh!" Kera pouted. "I just introduced myself, didn't I?"

"Right, but of course, Kera," Belle nodded. "I'm Bellesmith."

"And I wanna throw up," Phoenix exhaled, green in the face.

Belle cleared her throat. "And this is Mr. Phoenix. Thank you very much for what you did for us back there."

"That totally makes me forgivable for the stuff I did with the books, right?"

"Huh—?"

"Right!" Kera pulled the green book out from under her cloak and tossed it at Belle's hooves. "Here, save this for a time when you gotta do the opposite of throwing up!"

Belle breathed with relief as she knelt down and returned the book to Luna's satchel. "I can't believe how close I came to losing this..."

"Why's that one so important?" Phoenix asked with a raised eyebrow. "I thought the older tome was necessary for finding where you need to go."

"Of course it is!" Belle said with a frown. "But it's one of my few connections to Rainbow Dash. It was special to her, and so it's special to me. Besides, the ancient book..." She lifted the tome from the saddlebag and inspected it for damage for the first time since picking it up in the alleyway. "There really isn't any way I'm going to figure this out while relying on my spirit alone. If I focus on Rainbow's memories, then maybe—just maybe—I can adopt the same intuition she has and figure out just what—"

"'Innavedr.'"

Both ponies looked towards the filly.

"What... d-did you say...?" Belle remarked, her eyes narrow.

Kera pointed up at the tome. "That's what the crummy old book says on the front, doesn't it?"

The glanced at the bell-shaped symbol, then back at Kera. "You mean... you can read this?"

"Pfft! And you can't!" Kera smirked and began trotting down the steamy corridor. "What a waste of a cutie mark, lady!"

"But... b-but what does it mean? This 'Innavedr?'"

"The hay should I know?!"

"But I thought you—"

"Look, that's what the words say! Who cares if it's gobblygook! What, did you write it?"

"Well, no—

"Less talking and more prancing! Blue Belly is nice, but everytime I think of food in this place, I feel like spitting something up that's greener than my mane!" The filly giggled as she slid down a series of grimy steps and galloped forward. "Come on! There's a way out the other side! I'll show you!"

Belle stood, breathless, cradling the book with a quizzical expression.

Phoenix trotted head, paused, and turned to glance at her. "Is everything alright, Miss Belle?"

"I... I-I just don't understand..." Belle gulped, then glanced at him. "'Innavedr?' I mean... is she making this up, or can she actually ascertain the phonetics?"

Phoenix took a deep breath and softly said, "You've seen her coat, right? Surely you know where she's from."

Belle's brow furrowed. "What does that have to do with anything?" She blinked, and her expression melted into that of concern. "And just how did she get here...?"

"Adoption? Slavery? Pony trafficking? Pick your poison. The war makes orphans of us all." Phoenix shrugged. "As for what the little scamp just said, I couldn't tell you. Legends say that the Xonan language is as ancient as their culture. They're one of the few kingdoms left in this part of the world that values religion over the state. Why else have we been butting heads with them for so long?"

Belle's eyes drifted towards the pipes lining the corridor. "I... do remember Pilate once speaking of the complicated nature of Xonan languages..." She gulped. "And... how incredibly intricate they were..."

"Hey!" Kera's voice rang from above and below. "You fart heads making out or something?! Let's hoof it!"

Phoenix rolled his eyes. He nodded at Belle. "Supposedly, she can get us out of here."

"You think you can open the doors to these maintenance hatches with your own horn?"

"Not without the knowledge the kid's apparently got."

"Then I guess we have to depend on her." Belle slid the tome away, stood up, and briskly trotted forward. "Do me a favor, Mr. Phoenix."

"Hmm?" He moved after her. "What's that?"

"When push comes to shove..." She glanced aside. "Let me and me alone talk to her."

"Heh. You say that like it's such a sacrifice."

PreviousChapters Next