• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,080 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,080

PreviousChapters Next
Right to Bear

"Scatter!" Rainbow shouted, though she was the only one to hear it. Nevertheless, her terrified cohorts were already doing the smart thing and scrambling out of the path of the incoming Ursa. The massive bear only needed to make three earth-shattering bounds, and already it was plowing its weight into the side of the arena.

With a grunting breath, Rainbow shot up, avoiding the smashing impact of the monster's girth against the wall by mere feet. She twirled about, skimmed the surface of the force field, and rocketed towards the far end of the arena. A swinging paw followed her, its six feet claws scraping against the sparkling streams of mana that guarded the cheering onlookers.

Rainbow's teeth clenched hard over the levers she was using inside her helmet to steer the rocket jets. She could feel the sparks from the distorted energy field bouncing off the Ursa's clawswipe and arching towards her metal suit. Suddenly, she was flying faster, as if the energy surge was causing her thrusters to burn with far greater fury.

She was far too busy trying to survive to bother with dwelling on the matter. Instead, she dove low, which was a fortuitous thing, for it helped her dodge a second swing of the giant bear's other limb. Angling about, Rainbow found very few spaces left to fly in the arena; most of the massive chamber was filled by the looming body of the huge beast that Pestiferous had unleashed.

So, with few other options available to her, Rainbow resorted to flying blazing loops around the snarling creature. "Darn it darn it darn it!" she hissed several times as her teeth gnashed against the instruments. "I need space! I need—"

With a startling show of intelligence, the Ursa next smashed both paws into the forcefield ahead of Rainbow Dash, anticipating her approach vector.

Gasping, Rainbow jerked to the side, flew towards the Ursa's chest, squeezed out of reach of an enormous bear hug, and rocketed towards the thing's chin.

"Nnnnngh!" Rainbow spun and bucked it hard across the mouth. "Take that—Gaaah!" To her surprise, she flew straight through the monster's cranium, her body pinballing stupidly across the lofty ceiling above. "Guhh! What the buck?!"

"You idiot!" Imre shouted from where she was ushering several pale-stricken equines along the outer rim of the arena below. "It's a giant creature comprised of cosmic effluence!"

"Tell me the part that isn't lame!" Rainbow shouted, having to cut her breath short as she dodged a wave of claws flying past her and into the ceiling.

Imre and other ponies stumbled as the entire arena shook from the Ursa's wrath. "She's only corporeal when she wants to be! The sole part of an Ursa's body that's c-constantly solid is the starry crest on her forehead!"

"So what, then?!" Rainbow shouted as she circled overhead, weaving and diving around the bear's snapping jaws. "I've never been all that good with precision! Besides, it's not like you built torpedoes into this thing I'm wearing!"

"It was not my job to arm you!" Imre hissed.

"Nnngh!" Rainbow flew suicidally between the Ursa's legs and flew out from underneath an epic butt stomp. "Tell me, for real! Is there some sort of weapon I can use against this giant piece of bear crap?!"

"How the heck should I know?!"

"You're the smart one!"

"No, I'm the dumbflank who got herself stuck here in this mess with you—Gaaah!" Imre shouted as the monster suddenly bore down on her, attracted by her shrieking voice. It roared with foul breath and prepared to cleave her in two with its claws.

Rainbow Dash hovered to a stop, glancing everywhere frantically. She saw the smoldering pile of timberwolf remains. In half a second, she was diving through the mess, sweeping up as many burning branches as she could.

"Nnnngh—Hey! Bright eyes!"

The bear's sparkling ears twitched. It turned its fanged head around to glare at the rocketing pegasus.

"Choke on this!" Shouting, Rainbow flung the burning wreckage into the Ursa's face. Every sizzling twig bounced ineffectually off the beast's muzzle. Rainbow hovered in place, sweating beneath her helmet. "Yeah, that's about as best as it could have gone—"

Her vision filled with a starry crest as the Ursa viciously headbutted her.

"Ooof!" With a raspy cry, Rainbow flew hard into the opposite end of the arena. She collapsed against the wall, slumping to the ground in her rattling armor. Before she could get up, a set of claws flew down at her and pinned her to the rocky barrier behind. "Gaaah!" she gasped, struggling to pry herself free from the massive claws on either side of her. "I c-could totally use one of those 'dough sexy machines' that Twilight used to c-complain about right about now!"

The Ursa lowered its snout, growling at Rainbow. Just as it opened its drooling mouth to swallow her torso whole, a familiar diamond dog leapt onto the creature's claws and perched there protectively in front of Rainbow, giving the huge bear an angry growl.

The monster merely blinked, then opened its jaws wide as it roared louder than a crashing meteorite.

The diamond dog blinked. Its ears drooped as it ran away, yipping with its tail between its legs.

Rainbow watched it. With a sigh, her helmet swiveled back to gaze at her doom. "Yeah, see, this is why I like cats more..."

And then, with a mighty lunge, the Ursa swallowed Rainbow Dash whole, much to the cheering of the metal mares beyond.

PreviousChapters Next