• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,080 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,080

PreviousChapters Next
Know Belle Fu

"Nnngh... fuuuu... fuuu-nnnghhhh..." I hugged myself, quivering all over. I heard her hoofsteps shuffling through the mud, only it wasn't mud. My ears were dancing with the rhythmic chirps of a health monitoring station.

I looked up, and I saw my mangled body lying in bed. Only it wasn't my body. I wasn't a stallion... a soldier... a martyr...

What was I?

Then I saw her face. She had eyes like demonic pools of blue beyond the fabric of nightmares. And I realized finally what I was.

I was helpless.

"You infiltrated my home..." The mare said. Ripples of magic emanated from her figure, flying into me, into my entrails, into my soul. "You accosted the components of my experiment..." Her eyes narrowed like sapphiric daggers. "Why?"

"Unnngh!" I yelped, feeling my body melting into the floor. I planted my front hooves against the tile to keep from sinking, and I felt like I was swimming through a sea of briars. "Unnff... I... I-I wanted to know... t-to know more..."

"You seem to have many answers," she said. She was towering over me at this point. "What could I possibly give you... besides a swift end to your stubborn mind."

"What you do here..." I said, snarling up at her. "What you do to these foals..." I gulped as I felt my lower body merging with the black, thoughtless void that surrounded us like ravenous limbo. "It is wrong. I don't care how rich or ancient the past is that you wish to excavate..."

"I am not a historian," Nightshade said. "I am a revolutionary. What I am building is a utopia, free from this war, free from pain..."

"Like the pain... of y-your brother?" I spat, staring at the effigy lying upon the cloud that was drifting peacefully away from us both. "What kind of a sibling would steal his last waking memory... and use it as a weapon?"

Her piercing eyes melted briefly. "The kind who wants the end to all weapons... and pain..." Her deep breath added to the vacuum of the nebulous mindscape. "Even if she must die as the last monster of a wasteful era..."

"I... I don't understand..." I hissed, my eyes tearing as I felt my chin sinking into the puddle that my conscious was becoming against the floor. "What could you possibly accomplish? Are you trying to rebuild some... s-some ring? An arcane world?"

"You cannot rebuild the world. It is far too shattered. I only wish to reinvent. To repeat history is to repeat pain. My brother and I... have given up far too much to let that happen." She lowered her muzzle and hissed at me. "What have you given up?"

I glared at her. My words came out like glaciers in a river of death. "Do not talk to me about sacrifice." I felt my vision dancing to yellow and red and back as a fit of anger made my voice crack. "The closest you'll come to loyalty is a bad case of indigestion."

"You won't be around to test such a stab," Nightshade said. "You have a rich, eloquent consciousness." Her horn glowed as my vision fogged up from the floor washing up around my head. "I'll enjoy wearing it from time to time..."

I gasped. I thrashed. I sputtered.

Then as the waves of blackness almost overtook me... there was a spark from the deepest pits. The room shattered, and I felt my body blossoming back into the fabric of the dreamscape once again. I was flailing, enraptured to see my own limbs again. What's more, I was falling... flying... sailing away from the room and the darkness and the ring and her surprised blue eyes.

"You'll have to get used to your own skin, lady!" I shouted in some far-off voice. A devilish grin washed across my features and disappeared just as quickly. "Unless you are giving wind to her wings, you're not going to invent a single blasted thing!"

She shouted something, but I was blissfully out of earshot. Blood rushed into my head, followed by a blinding, cleansing flash of light.

PreviousChapters Next