• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,071 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,071

PreviousChapters Next
Shinra McClane Darpa

"Whew!" Kera gasped, her body thumping across the aluminum interior of the a/c shaft. "This is worse than when I was funneled down the Xonan birth canals!"

Belle gasped from where she crawled directly behind her. "Xonans shove their foals down metal chutes?!"

"Nah." Kera giggled. "I just wanted to get your reaction. Snkkkt-heeheehee..."

"Nnnngh..." Belle frowned. "Kera..."

"Ladies..." Phoenix coughed from behind the two. "A little less chatting a little more shuffling?"

"I don't even know where this darn thing goes," Kera mumbled.

"What?" Phoenix balked. "But I thought you knew the place!"

"Oh, yeah! I totally know the elevator and the hallways!" Kera flung a frown back as she shuffled over a grated vent. "But that all went flank over elbow the very moment you threw us up here, Einstallion!"

"Hey, I was only trying to—!"

"Shhh!" Belle insisted. "Everypony! Quiet!"

"What is it, Miss Bellesmith?" Phoenix whispered.

Wincing, Belle silently pointed straight ahead.

Kera glanced down and immediately grimaced, for she was perched right over the air vent looking into a brightly-lit meeting room. The heads and flanks of several business ponies could be seen sitting down at a long table with Nightshade positioned at the head.

"Alright, ladies and gentlecolts," Nightshade spoke with authoritative presence. "Let us cut to the quick..." Everypony below hushed as she stole the entire room's attention.

"Kera... be absolutely silent," Belle murmured, practically mouthed. She turned and looked back at Phoenix. "Can... we... double back...?"

Phoenix shook his head and mouthed, "I checked."

Belle bit her lip. Looking forward, she motioned Kera along with a gentle hoof.

Trembling, Kera suddenly showed her foalish qualities. Gulping, she inched herself forward, sliding along her chest like an inchworm. Bellesmith and Phoenix followed swiftly behind, struggling not to make a sound or else alert the bodies below.

Down below, the meeting continued, seemingly ignorant of the rogue trio shuffling above.

"The zeppelin that crashed into our facility was one of ours—in that it was constructed at one of our shipyards," Nightshade's voice said. "It's a small transport skiff: gas powered with support manathrusters."

"Commercial, Industrial, or Military?" an executive asked.

"Military." Voices muttered in the room below as Nightshade continued. "The craft was undoubtedly used as a miniature freight transport. Perhaps for relocating troops in small numbers."

"Was it... was it hijacked?"

"That is what Overseer Fatch and the security detachment are trying to determine. Right now, the eyewitness accounts are mixed. Some of the intervening guards say that there was only one equine present during the assault. Others are saying that there were two."

"Wait, it was an assault?"

"That appears to be the case. The zeppelin didn't immediately crash into the facility. Much rather, it idled up to the building, waited for a patrol skiff to show up, upon which there was... an attack of sorts. Metaphysical."

"Metaphysical?"

"The perpetrator displayed amazing mana-conductive capabilities. Our guards were quite literally attacked with magical thunderbolts emanating from the individual's crown."

"Was it natural? Or something augmented?"

"Fatch so far is suspecting an augment."

"Then that means..."

"Yes. This could very well be aftermath from the breakout at the Deep Ridge facility."

"Deep Ridge... it's hard to believe that any of the subjects would have survived a trek for this long," an executive uttered. "What exactly brought the equine here?"

"And why?"

Nightshade's voice sighed as the group above passed over another grate. "So far, the subject hasn't responded much to interrogation. He is proving to be... difficult, to say the least. I've authorized Fatch to incorporate more emphatic forms of communication." Her body leaned forward over the edge of the table. "But we have reason to believe that the subject was acquired from one of the airship possessions."

"You mean for the transport east?!" a stallion barked. "The timing is uncanny!"

Another executive spoke up. "There has to be another angle to this besides one vengeful equine. Perhaps this is all a plot."

"A plot by who?"

"Why, the Council of Ledo, of course! They're onto us! They can't send Enforcers in without proper search warrants, so they're trying to interefere the roundabout way!"

"Now, we have no proof of that. We need to continue as scheduled. We're behind on the project enough as it is."

"But if it's actually them, and they discovered and made allies with the survivors of Deep Ridge—"

"Gentlecolts, please..." Nightshade raised a hoof as she silenced the crowd. "What matters right now is that the ring team is properly equipped to finish with their channeling. Hopefully, the think tank in our northeast branch will have provided us proper housing for the energy beacon."

"Were they affected at all by the zeppelin incident with the Deep Ridge survivor?"

"No, thankfully. They are still in one piece. I wish I didn't have to rely on them, but—as you all well know—this damned war has consumed the best of our brightest minds. And on that note..." She shuffled out from the table and trotted towards the far end of the room where a door lay waiting. "I must go visit Novus."

"Your brother? With all due respect, Madame!" An executive sat up, exclaiming, "We're in a crisis right now! Things are going down to the wire enough as it is with the ring team and the project. If we're expected to deliver this beacon back east, then how can we accomplish it with you distracted—"

"This is not a distraction!" Nightshade suddenly thundered, shaking the walls and the ceiling of the place. Even the metal walls of the air vents shook around the three ponies, making them freeze in fear. "The beacon is the distraction!" she shot daggers at her subordinate with hard blue eyes beneath her sun hat. "My brother has given more than anyone else in this corporation... in this family! If you respect me, then you will respect him, for it is in honor of his indomitable spirit that this project was ever first engaged!"

The executive in question melted from her glare. "Yes, M-Madame," he stammered in a wilted manner. "I am sorry for questioning you."

"And you have my pardon," she said, her voice calm yet still resolute. "Remember, what we do here is for our future, and for the future of all ponies. Sir Ordo is seeing to the ring team. I want you to prepare two messages. One for the citizens of Blue Nova, to keep their minds at ease. And another for Seclorum..."

"Prime Enforcer Seclorum?" a pony spoke up. "What do you wish us to tell him?"

"What else?" Nightshade took a deep breath, turned around, and opened the sliding door to the next room. "That we are delivering him the bane of Xonans that he's always asked for..."

As the room quieted down below, Phoenix and Belle exchanged curious glances. Kera shuffled ahead, and they both swiftly squirmed to catch up.

PreviousChapters Next