• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,075 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,075

PreviousChapters Next
Army of Two

"Raaaugh!" Crimson bucked a metal mare hard into the wall, spun, and zapped a stream of telekinetic energy into the bounty hunter's helmet.

Sputtering for breath, the metal mare slipped free of the headpiece, only to experience the less-than-heavenly sensation of the helmet slamming across her skull repeatedly.

Crimson finished the attack by launching the helmet straight into her gut. He spun around and faced the other end of the hallway junction in time to duck the swing of a metal mare brandishing a broad-axe in her teeth. She swung again and again, all the while he backtrotted towards the wall. Just as she prepared to cleave his skull in two, a beam of crystalline energy ricocheted off her spine. She stumbled forward with a cry, reeling from Tweak's shot several yards away. Crimson took a chance and dove head-on, tackling the mare hard and slamming her against the stone floor of the passage.

Standing up, Crimson kicked the axe up off the ground and gripped it in his teeth. He looked over his shoulder as three mares huddled behind an overturned pillar, sheltering themselves from Tweak's manarifle blasts. Glancing up, Crimson saw a sweeping banner, emblazoned with the impressionistic outline of the spirit of Searo. With a singular twirl, he flung the axe from his mouth, launching it ceilingward like a boomerang.

The weapon sliced through the support ropes of the banner, causing the heaping flag to flutter down and cover the three mares entirely. Grunting and growling in frustration, they flailed about, struggling to get out from underneath the banner. As soon as the first mare stuck her head out from the fabric, she swiftly wished she hadn't.

Crimson's intact forelimb flew across her cheek and collided her with a second mare. As both collapsed, the third broke free, making a run for it, only for a blast of manarifle energy to blast into the wall next to her, sending a chunk of rubble exploding into her body and propelling her hard into a nearby pillar, knocking her unconscious.

Tweak exhaled, sending a fresh recharge of crystalline energy into his translucent weapon. "Somehow, this is feeling a little too easy."

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't agree," Crimson said, fighting to catch his breath. The two dashed towards the corner of the battle-strewn hallway, peering around the corner as they made their way deeper into Searo's Hold. "It's almost as if we're running into a bunch of novices."

"Heh... only you would call that last wave of beserker warriors 'novice.'"

"I mean it..." Crimson's eyes narrowed as he surveyed the next length of hallway. "Not even ten of these freakjobs combined could outmatch that bully, Aeterna. I suspect the true, elite warriors have been relocated elsewhere."

"For what purpose?" Tweak remarked, his sparkling eyes narrow as he finally recharged the core of his rifle. "An ambush?"

"Hard to say, but the sooner we figure out where our ponies are, the better."

"Where in this prison is a prison?" Tweak asked with a smirk. "Every other room looks like a detention cell to me. This Rainbow Dash could be anywhere."

"I've been in one or two facilities belonging to enemy forces before," Crimson said. The walls shook as an explosion thundered through the structure of the place. "Even the Xonans—who pretend not to care for technology—possess the need to house a security net that keeps track of everything."

"What do you mean, 'security net?'"

"I mean a monitoring station. If we relocate it, maybe we'll find out where they're keeping Rainbow Dash." He glanced over his shoulder. "And your brother."

Tweak took a deep breath. "I don't think we'll have any problem finding my brother."

"What makes you say that?"

Tweak pointed down the far end of the nearest passageway. "You see that faint, faint glow in the distance?"

Crimson's eyes narrowed. "Yes...? I do believe so."

Tweak grumbled, "Follow the lights. If these bastards are doing what I think they're doing..."

"Say no more," Crimson grumbled, charging ahead into a limping gallop. "Let's just buck heads."

"You didn't have to ask twice..." Tweak dashed speedily after him.

PreviousChapters Next