• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,071 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,071

PreviousChapters Next
Somewhat Relevant Things

"Uhh..." Phoenix craned his neck to better see the spry young filly at the front of the group. "You sure that this is a shortcut, kid? At this rate, we're never gonna get there."

"I promised I'd get you inside the Nightshade place!" Kera squeaked as she led the mercenary and the mare through steamy, the morning-lit urban canals of Blue Nova. "I didn't say it'd be short!"

"But I swear that we've gone in circles, twice."

"Not everything is all cookie cutter and cute in these streets!" Kera said. "If we wanna get to Nightshade Industries, we gotta cut our way past the front courtyard, ya smell me?"

Belle smiled from the center of the group as she said, "Just trust her, Mr. Phoenix."

"Yeah, trust her, Mr. Phoenix!" Kera chirped, then giggled. "I swear, for a bounty hunter, you're super stiff!"

Phoenix growned. "I am not a bounty hunter! I am a mercenary!"

"You get paid for swinging swords, hammers, and other relevant heavy metals, right?"

"Er..."

"Cuz it all sounds the same to me! Heeheehee!"

Phoenix sighed, his breath fogging against fractured glass windows as they passed an abandoned storefront. "Can't we just go up from the sewers or something?"

"Nuh uh. The Nightshade building ain't attached to the lower passageways like all the others," Kera said. "This place has only two ways to enter, and that's either ground level or by zeppelin at the upper balconies."

"This Nightshade pony must be very powerful to afford such special privileges here in Blue Nova," Belle remarked.

"Eh, she knows how to get what she wants. That much is true." Kera hopped over a mound of garbage and made for a straightaway that led towards an open courtyard several dozen feet ahead. "Metal. Manacores. Ponies."

"Ponies?" Phoenix repeated, blinking wide.

"Pfft! It wasn't a stork that brought me here!" Kera said with a devilish grin.

Belle squinted. "Kera, where did you say that you were from again?"

"Eh... east of here."

"East of the warfront..." Phoenix leaned in. "Right?"

"Nah. Not that far. The ponies who raised me didn't have tattoos like me. They're boring."

"I don't believe you ever told us the name of the place where you were raised," Belle said.

"That's because it's called 'Lerris!' And it's boring!"

"Did the ponies who raised you have a part to play in having you come to Blue Nova?"

"No! 'Cuz they were boring!" Kera turned back with a frown. "Seriously, what's with all the stupid questions? Jeez!"

"I'm sorry, Kera. It's just... well..." Belle shrugged. "We're concerned about you, is all. You're... well... you're not exactly a common sight in this part of the world."

"Just the way I like it!" Kera turned her chin up and trotted proudly toward their destination. "And, for real, stuff it with the questions! You don't see me asking you a bunch of crud left and right!"

"I wouldn't mind if you did."

"Oh yeah? How'd you get your horn all stubby?"

Phoenix glanced between Belle and Kera.

"Well, if you must know, it happened seven years ago," Belle said.

Kera blinked. She glanced over her shoulder. "Really?"

"Indeed."

"You... didn't have it lopped off when you were a filly?!"

"Spark, no!" Belle grimaced. "What would you make you suspect that?"

Kera shrugged. "You seem so cool with it."

"I really don't have much of a choice."

"So many ponies in this city make a big deal about magic. I mean, I know a lot of tricks. They're cool tricks. But if I lost my ability to make things float n'stuff, I'd find another way to get on top of things. It's 'cuz of how together I am and stuff. Ya dig?"

Belle stifled a giggle and nodded. "You almost remind me of somepony else I know."

"Ew, now I know you're just making that up."

"Why's that?"

"'Cuz I'm the one and only! That's why!"

"You'll get no argument from me," Phoenix grumbled. Belle shushed him.

"So, what broke it, huh?"

Belle glanced back at Kera. "Huh?"

"Your horn. What snapped it off?"

The mare winced slightly, but ultimately said, "There... was a zeppelin that crashed near the university in Mountainfall, where I was earning my doctorate in science."

"Oh?"

"I was one of the first ponies at the scene of the accident. I was no firefighter, but the aircraft was burning and... and there were ponies inside who needed help. Me and four other equines used our magic to tear open a part of the ship's hull so we could rush in and grab as many bodies as we could."

"Well, sounds like you handled it just fine!"

"I did..." Belle sighed. "Until my third trip in. A part of the ship collapsed. I was underneath it and... well..." She smiled painfully. "When I awoke, I wasn't the same."

"Wow..." Kera muttered, blinking ahead of her trot. "That had to have sucked."

Phoenix suddenly snickered. He quickly forced himself into a straight face and waved an apologetic hoof towards Belle. "My apologies. I didn't expect that..."

"It's quite alright, Mr. Phoenix." Belle turned towards Kera again. "As a matter of fact, my recovery went well. It so happened that I shared a room in the Mountainfall hospital with one of the survivors of the crash. He was a lot worse off than I was, but I was too busy being mesmerized by his intelligence and sincerity to even begin pitying him. Even though I was released earlier, I stuck around to help him with his physical therapy. I even made it my personal project at the university to design for him a neurological device that could help him navigate his surroundings better."

"Well, hey. That's pretty cool. So you're something of a smart pony, eh?"

"So others have told me."

"Heeheehee... and yet here you are in the street with no diploma and no mane." Kera smirked goofily. "I wonder what he'd say if he saw you now."

Belle opened her mouth, but said nothing. She swallowed a lump down her throat as her trot became a slow, scuffling thing. "He... he wouldn't have much to say... not now... not ever..."

"Yeah? Why not?"

"Because... because I lost him, Kera..."

Kera glanced back. "Huh? Lost him?"

Belle didn't reply. Phoenix was dead silent.

Kera stared at the two with a furrowed brow. Suddenly, her ears twitched. She flung a glance ahead, towards the courtyard looming beyond the narrow alleyway. "Wuh oh. Now that's a big crowd."

"Hmmm?" Phoenix suddenly galloped ahead so he could stand protectively at the front of the group. "A little too early in the day to be natural."

"Can you hear what th-they're saying?" Belle asked.

"I... I'm not sure..." Phoenix leaned in. "They're all gathered in front of Nightshade Industries..." After a few seconds, he blinked, then glanced back at the two with a pale expression. "I think... something has happened..."

PreviousChapters Next