• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,074 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,074

PreviousChapters Next
The Iron Pony

Inside the Noble Jury, a swath of light rolled across the cockpit as the airship in question slowly exited the mouth of the hangar. The loud engines of all of the Nightshade ships rattled through the tight metal bulkheads. Clark leaned forward, peaking out the port and starboard edges of the curved windshield to see the manned airships veering off.

“Looks as though they are already making a break for it!”

“Easy, brain boomer...” Floydien forced Clark to trot back with a brush of his antler. “Swim by glimmer currents in separate ways, we must.” He fired more beams of energy into the cockpit, his brow furrowing and unfurrowing as he guided the skystone powered vessel by mental command. “Let them live by their own spit. They've burrowed themselves deep enough in the muck as it is. Boomers should be lucky to boom another day.”

“Then when will be our time to depart?” Clark asked.

“One thing at a time,” Pilate muttered, squirming pensively where he stood. “Rainbow Dash is still out there.”

“I cannot say that I am a firm believer in her plan, but it seems to be working.” Clark gulped. “So long as she doesn't hurt herself unnecessarily in the progress.”

“That makes the two of us.”

“Floydien isn't sure whether or not Floydien wants to be third...”

“Hmmm...” Pilate raised a soundstone to his lips. “Better check up on how the ship's functioning.”

“Nancy Jane dances without mishap!” Floydien growled. He barely had room to turn his head and glare at the zebra. “What is this that striped boomer insists?”

“Just making sure everything goes off without a hitch, Mr. Floydien. We've talked about this.”

“Hmmmph. Fine... speak to blonde blonde in the womb of my beloved.”

“Props? Are you there?”

”Oh... my... gosh... it's so sparkly in here I could poop kittens!”

“Miss Props...”

”Ahem. Sorry, Mr. Zebra. Everything is fine and dandy in the engine room! I would have killed to see skystone conduits this magnificent, but I doubt they have many engine rooms in prison... or prisons in the sky in general.”

“So, everything is operating efficiently, then?”

”They tried making a jail in Grey Smoke once, but the imports for soap started getting gobbled up for some reason...”

”Propsy, just answer the stallion.”

”Why, Ebony?! I'm too busy being awestruck by this perfectly running engine to answer anypony!

”Hey, uh, Mr. Pilate? Ebon Mane here. Does that answer your question?”

Floydien grumbled, “It didn't need to be asked from the first spit! Nancy Jane is no hussy!”

Pilate and Clark exchanged shrugs. “Copy that, Ebony... er, I mean Mr. Mane. Nice to know things are good on your end.”

”How's it all look from the cockpit?”

One of the many unmanned zeppelins blew up several leagues ahead. It caught flame, falling into its nearest airships and crashing with them towards the earth below.

Clark and Pilate winced as more shells exploded on either side of them.

“It's not exactly a walk in the park,” Pilate murmured into the sound stone.

“Too much glimmer in the hooves of the air stabby!” Floydien grunted.

“Huh?” Clark remarked.

“The shelling is too much,” Pilate explained. “If we had an opportunity to fly away from the main group, I almost fear that it has passed.”

“Perhaps Miss Dash need only to propel more vessels into their line of fire?” Clark squinted. “It seems as if at least one of the battlecruisers has moved off course.”

“I'll get Rainbow Dash's attention and ask if she could do just that—”

Just then, an errant shell whizzed past the Noble Jury. The stallions inside gasped as it erupted into an airship's side just west of them. As the air heated up, three bodies galloped up from the top deck, poking their heads into the rear of the cockpit.

“Bad news!” Eagle Eye exclaimed. “One of our 'buddies' have been it!”

“There must be at least three ponies inside,” Imre exclaimed breathlessly.

“Better send help!” Tweak called from where he gawked over the side at the smoking, plunging aircraft. “It's goin' down fast!”

Pilate raised the soundstone to his lips. “Rainbow Dash, did you hear that?”

“On it!” No sooner had her cracking voice responded when a swift thunder of roaring thrusters zoomed by the Noble Jury.

“There she goes!” Eagle Eye cheered.

“She'd better hury...” Imre said in a dull tone, her hooves squirming.

Plummeting past the empty airships and sailing past the wake of the Noble Jury's engines, Rainbow Dash made for the burning craft. Three equine figures could be seen clambering over the only upright edge of the teetering vessel.

“Don't you fret!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she hovered over them and scooped two with her forelimbs. “I've got ya!” She spun and offered her armored shoulders to the last pony. “Climb on and don't let go!”

The ponies obliged. Just as the ship began breaking apart, Rainbow Dash lifted up, kicking away from the ship just seconds before it shattered. She made for one of the silver zeppelins above where she knew there'd be pilots. Halfway through the ascent, however, another ship blew up from a wave of cannonfire. She heard shrieking voices and looked to her left to see two ponies plunging with their ship.

“Luna poop!” Grunting, Rainbow Dash looked left and right. She found a tiny skiff and darted towards it. “Sorry! Temporary measure! Let go!” She dropped two gasping ponies onto the petite deck. But as the stallion on her back began to climb off, she squealed, “No! You stay on! I'll need as many hooves as I can get!” Without a choice, the stallion clung tightly as she dove down. “I'll be back for you two! Don't worry!”

Rocketing earthward, twirling to dodge bits and pieces of burning shrapnel, Rainbow caught up with the falling ship. Just seconds before she arrived, however, the two ponies lost their hoofing and fell loose from the aircraft.

“Crud! Don't worry! We're gonna get you!” Rainbow Dash zoomed towards one and grasped her in four forelimbs. She aimed one forelimb out and used it to propel herself backwards in fall until she lined up with the last pony. “Hey you!” she shouted over her shoulder. “Give her a hoof! Come on!”

The stallion gritted his teeth, reaching towards the flailing pony. The pony reached back to him. The ground flew up towards the group like an ocean of stone.

“Come on... just a little bit more...”

Their hooves met each other and clasped tight. Soon, all three ponies were hugging Rainbow tight.

“Boo-ya! Now keep a firm grip!”

Rainbow Dash held the first pony in her forelimbs while kicking her rear hooves down. The armor fired off past her fetlocks, and she beat the pull of gravity just seconds before the falling zeppelin beneath her exploded in a spray of fire and jagged shards. Soaring skyward, she found a medium-sized airship and dropped the three ecstatic ponies off in the welcoming limbs of their cheering companions. After adding to the crew complement, she darted back to the skiff where she had left the two ponies.

“Toldja I'd be back!” She grabbed them without stopping for a breath. In swooping motions, she dodged cannonfire and deposited the two atop an airship on the other side where two other ponies were minding the controls. “Okay, I gotta do something wickedly awesome to steal the guys' attention! “ She whipped out her sound stone and shouted, “Ya hear that?! No more ponies try making a run for it until I tell you to!”

”Snkkkt—Rainbow, this is Pilate. Just what do you have in mind?

“The one thing I'm good at using my mind for...” Rainbow Dash took a deep breath and charged the three encumbered battlecruisers from afar. “...a battering ram...”

PreviousChapters Next