• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,079 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,079

PreviousChapters Next
Lonely Hearts' Club

The sun had risen over the eastern horizon, but it took at least three hours before the landscape could see the light of it. This was because the looming spires of Blue Nova cast a grand shadow over the outlying province, darkening the towns and villages and merchant hubs that clustered around the highways leading into the metropolis.

The air here was buzzing constantly, filled with creaking of wagons, the humming of manacarts, and the continuous chatter of dozens upon hundreds of ponies standing by the wayside, bartering, gossiping, and talking about all things from the Queen to the war to the rumors from the south.

On every other town square of the surrounding villages, an identical wanted sign lingered, showing a rough, prismatic sketch of a pony with wings. For the most part, the locals ignored it—some of them going so far as to scoff at it. Instead, they busied themselves with transporting goods from one end of the province to the other, running some unofficial race with the zeppelins that puttered and drifted overhead.

The only signature of warmth and hospitality to be seen was in the occasional pair of ponies who would trot through the suburban landscape. Beloved couples walked side by side, some sharing smiles, others sharing the tasks for the day. They operated as one, and not once did they forsake a chance to nuzzle each other and express their effections. Those who weren't paired up were usually lonesome souls, a great deal of them nonequine, who were merely passing through from distant corners of the grand Confederacy.

Through this mixed soup of culture, another pair of ponies trotted slowly. One had a midnight blue saddlebag and a bulging satchel of belongings clinging to her flank. The other—a tall, mustached stallion—was packed to the brim. Though his muscles could handle the load, he glanced left and right, nervously eyeing all of the locals as the two ponies made their way slowly towards the distant gates of Blue Nova.

"They... They don't seem to be paying us much attention," Phoenix murmured under his breath.

"I'm not about to complain," Bellesmith muttered. "This certainly beats sneaking off road, avoiding sight."

"But... what's the deal, I wonder? We're obviously strangers. We're obviously from out of town."

"Shhh..." Belle gulped and glanced down the adjacent alleyways that they were passing. "Don't press it."

He gazed at several pairs of ponies lingering in front of market bazaars. He suddenly remarked, "Could it be that we both look like... like..." He bit his lip. "Well, you know."

Belle said nothing.

He gulped. "I don't suppose that—if push comes to shove—we'll have to blend in somehow—?"

"Let's not even think of that unless the opportunity forces it to happen," she grunted.

He nodded fervently. "Right. Right. I'm sorry I even said anything."

"No. No, you're..." She sighed. "You're thinking. And thinking is good. I feel like I haven't done much of that lately."

"Huh?" he glanced aside at her.

"I've sort of been flying by the seat of my saddle, as t'were."

"Uhm..." Phoenix blinked a few times. He winced and whispered, "You mean that you don't have a plan?"

"I have a plan!" she hissed back, then stared straight ahead. "Only, it's not exactly my plan."

"Then... uhm... whose is it?"

She shook the midnight blue saddlebag. "In here is a tome that Rainbow Dash picked up from an age-old pegasus skeleton west of Foxtaur."

"No kidding?" Phoenix remarked as the two paused to let a wagon or two pass through the bustling intersection in front of them. "A pegasus' remains?"

Bellesmith nodded. "Since you and I landed from the crashed hovercraft, it's been glowing with a magical effluence."

"What does that mean?" Phoenix gulped. "It's h-haunted?"

"No. What it means..." Belle winced, then shrugged it off as she and Phoenix continued trotting again. "What I think it means is that I should be heading in a particular direction. When I position myself due east from here, the tome's runes glow even brighter."

"Meaing?"

"I'm following where it takes me," Belle said. "It wouldn't be easy to explain, but I think it has something to do with what's brought Rainbow Dash out this far. And at this rate, the closer I can get to something that relates to her, the better."

"Wait..." Phoenix stopped in his tracks, his eyes wide. "Due east from here?! But... th-that will lead us straight into—"

"Blue Nova," Belle said with a nod. She trotted ahead, undaunted. "I don't know how or why, but there's something in that city that the tome is leading me to."

"You can't be serious!" Phoenix squawked. He galloped to catch up with her. "That place has got to be swarming with Enforcers! Plus, those guys we beat up—"

"That YOU beat up..."

"The guys that I beat up obviously hailed from there. That's not one—but two groups of ponies who will want to see us dead! And at least half of them will be looking for us in particular!"

"Look..." Belle turned to glare at him. "Did you or did you not promise to help me wherever I happen to be going?"

"Well—Yes! Of course! But... b-but..."

She stared at him, deadpan.

He blinked, ultimately sighing. Gazing ahead, he muttered as they came within the shadow of the grand city's walls. "Alright, but if we really gotta do this, we can't go about it in a hurry. We gotta be slow and careful, not to mention stealthy. I don't know if you've ever been in a big city like this before, but the security is tight as heck."

"How so?"

Phoenix stopped in his tracks and pointed towards the massive city gates. "Take a gander."

Belle stopped where she stood and squinted. "I... I-I'm sorry, Phoenix. But I'm no Eagle Eye."

"Heh, who is?" He smirked slightly and gestured at the scene. "They have enforcers and city militia parked at the entrance at all times. Anypony entering or exiting the city is subject to a thorough search. It would be the same if we entered the upper spires by zeppelin. If you wanna do business in the Queen's cities, then you gotta fly by her rules, no matter how ridiculous."

Belle's gaze pivoted towards the south, following a mass of ponies as they trotted towards the gate. "You're saying that they check everypony?"

"Right..."

"Without exception?"

Phoenix opened his mouth, but paused. "Well..." He scratched his mustache in thought, gazing skyward. "If you were part of a scheduled visit that was planned well in advance, or part of a Confederate province that received special consolation—"

"Like Mintian monks?"

"Huh?"

Belle tugged on his shoulder, then pointed towards the highway leading up to the gates. Phoenix glanced over, and he saw what she saw: a line of thickly robed equines marching softly in unison towards the western entrance of the epically grand city.

"Well..." Phoenix thought aloud. "We've got the sort of clothing that just might blend in. But that's still not good enough."

"How do you mean?"

"Well, you and I don't exactly look pious enough, now do we?"

Belle took a deep breath. Without hesitation, she pivoted about and reached for some of the satchels on his back. "Quick, what's the color of the bag you put the stallions' personal effects in?"

"Er... uhm..." Phoenix leaned awkwardly to help her reach the belongings. "The orange sack, up top." He cleared his throat. "Why do you ask?"

"One of them had a collections of razors, did he not?"

"Yeah...?"

Belle sighed. "I think we're both going to need your delicate telekinesis..."

PreviousChapters Next