• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,079 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,079

PreviousChapters Next
Rock the Posse

"A ship like Roarke's could easily slip past its outer defenses," Imre said. In the last few minutes, she had crossed the length of the cockpit so that she was now standing by the seat, gesturing at the three-dimensional slice of map. Her hoof pointed at a crevice in the middle of tall mountain peaks. "Landing, however, would be a different matter. There's an outer entrance and a secondary entrance at the end of a long ravine, too small for any transports. Prisoners who are taken to Pale Shelf are dropped off and then escorted in hoofcuffs to the inner doors of the facility."

"And just what kind of a facility is this?" Crimson asked.

Imre fidgeted. "The kind where laborers of the Council of Ledo show no regard for equine life." She turned and glanced at Rainbow Dash. "There are many like it throughout the kingdom, including 'Blue Shelf' to the west, where your friends are apparently from."

Rainbow Dash was silent.

"How in spark's name did you ever end up in a place like that?" Crimson stammered, squinting. "Much less get out in one piece?"

"Look, I told you what I know because I'd like to help you! Not give you my damn autobiography!" Imre snapped.

"I meant no offense," Crimson said. "I simply was curious how—"

"Keep your curiosity to yourself," Imre muttered, turning to look lethargically at the map. "I'm taking a lot of risks by going back to that place."

"And just why are you going back?" Tweak asked.

"Because if your friends are indeed there—or at least one of them—then you're going to need me." She blinked and clarified in a colder tone, "You're going to need a surgeon."

Rainbow Dash bit her lip as the coat hairs on the back of her neck rose on end.

"Imre..." Roarke spoke in a metallic drone. "You've been yanked around enough as it is. There's no need for you to go back to—"

"You and I have never had much of a sympathetic relationship, Roarke. Don't start now. It doesn't suit you." Imre swiveled and trotted for the exit of the manaship. "Seems like it's been my place to prove myself lately. Well, it's never too late for the old college try."

"You sure of this?" Crimson asked.

"No." Imre hopped out of the vessel. "I'll go grab my instruments and things. I'll likely need them."

Rainbow Dash watched as she trotted away. In the meantime, Tweak shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well, then, I suspect we're going to need lots of manarifles for if this is gonna turn into an actual mission on hoof."

"Yes, that would be essential to—" Crimson did a double-take. "Excuse me?!"

"What?" Tweak's reflective brow furrowed. "You mean you'd rather use pea-shooters?"

"Did you just imply that you were going with us?"

"Damn straight I am."

"Out of the question!" Crimson grumbled, accidentally vibrating the energy in his new prosthetic. He canceled the sonic frequency and learned forward to say, "Tweak, this is not something for you to risk your skin over!"

"First off, it's crystal, not skin."

"You can still bleed—!"

"And second, I owe you, fella." Tweak somehow glared and smirked at the same time. "I owe you big time. You brought me back my brother, my friends, and my peace of mind. Consider me enlisted."

"Dammit, Tweak! You have a family!"

"So do you."

"But... that's... nnngh..." Crimson shook his muzzle, grumbling. "That's not the point!"

"Isn't it, though?" Tweak raised an eyebrow. "When I'm old and falling to shards, I want my foals and my grandfoals to know that I repaid honor where it was due."

"But—"

"And I would be plum blessed to think of your grandchildren and mine sharing such trust and respect into the far off future."

Crimson opened his mouth, but lingered. The muscular stallion leaned back, exhaling in thought. "Our... grandchildren..."

"Think about it. Franzington and Aurum..." Tweak's lips curved. "Joined by an integrity that is unknown north, south, and east of us. Reckon it's been a long time since this continent has had it's fair share of heroes."

Slowly, Crimson nodded. "Yeah..." He turned and gazed at Rainbow Dash, and his smile widened. "Yeah, I suppose it has been a long time..."

"Right... uhm..." Rainbow Dash cracked a smile. "The more the merrier! Uhhh... bee arr bee." She jumped out of the manaship.

Roarke watched silently, her eye-lenses retracting as she pivoted towards her instruments.

Outside, Rainbow Dash galloped briskly, catching up with the unicorn mare. "Hey! Imre! Hold up, will ya?"

Imre grumbled and turned around. "For once, I thought I had chosen to do something you'd approve of. What have you come to gripe about now?"

"No griping! I think that what you're doing is really cool!" Rainbow Dash said. "I just wanna know one thing—"

"I'm only doing it for your friends, okay?" Imre sighed. "Maybe it was treating all these ponies here in Aurum. Maybe it was listening to you go on and on about friendship and journeys and crap. Maybe I'm just sick of having my ears stuffed with warm fuzzies. But I know that I can do this. I can help you. And maybe, just maybe, I can get ponies like you and Roarke off my back—"

"You lied back there, didn't you?" Rainbow Dash asked. "You were never a prisoner at Pale Shelf."

Imre glared. "Who died and made you the Queen of Honesty?"

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth, lingered, and eventually uttered in a dry voice, "It takes one to know one."

Imre was silent.

"Well?"

Slowly, the unicorn bowed her buzzed head. With a sigh, she muttered, "You're right. I wasn't a prisoner." She bit her lip, then eventually said, "I worked there."

Rainbow Dash leaned forward. "You were employed by the Council of Ledo?"

Imre winced at the notion.

Rainbow's face twisted briefly. She cleared her throat and said, "Well... uhm... the Council is... the Council is pretty messed up. I wouldn't hold it past them from forcing a doctor like you to use her medical skills for stuff she never wanted to—"

"You don't get it, I chose to work there," Imre said, her frown returning to her face. "And I was never a doctor. I was a butcher."

"Pfft! Please. Don't be hard on yourself again—"

"I am not!" Imre shrieked, making Rainbow jolt. "Don't you get it?! There's a reason why I could take Searonese guts apart and not bat an eye!" She leaned back, panting slightly, but then rediscovered her usual composure. "I was knee-deep in the stuff. I was totally involved and... and..." Her voice trailed off, as did her eyes.

Rainbow stared at her, trying not to grimace. "But... you regret it all... don't you?" She exhaled, nodding slowly with understanding. "And that's what you're now living with."

"At first, I believed that I was doing what was best for my country, that I was helping with the Confederacy's research." Imre swallowed hard, her voice taking on a shaky quality. "I-I was raised in the military by my parents. I was proud, and I wanted to make them proud. So, I went to a military academy, excelling in science and biology. When I was transferred to the mountains up north, I didn't ask any questions. I was willing to go wherever the Council sent me, because the Queen's honor was all that mattered."

"What changed?" Rainbow Dash asked.

Imre squinted curiously at her.

Rainbow shrugged with an awkward smile. "You're standing here, aren't you?! You're not in a uniform! You're not wearing one of their goddess-awful berets! You're healing ponies you've never known before and you're helping me find my friends! Obviously you changed..."

"Something... s-something happened in my life..." Imre stifled a whimper. "I thought I had gotten used to all of the ugliness I was dealing with. What I didn't realize was that I was simply blind to it. It took something devastating to rip the wind out from my sails, to make me see how cold I was becoming. Just like..." She lingered.

Rainbow listened patiently.

Imre took a firm breath, frowning again. "It didn't matter. All that's important is that I left. I fled east. I didn't want to defect to the Xonans, but I knew that the only way... the only guaranteed way to get someplace where the Council couldn't reach me was to put their greatest enemy between me and them. As you can guess, I failed, and it wasn't until Roarke bailed me out that I was able to escape their capture. Y'know, it doesn't matter if you're made of flesh or metal, or if you've got fur or tattoos; somewhere deep down inside, you're ugly, and you gotta learn to face it."

"I can help you, y'know," Rainbow Dash said with a tranquil smile. "Just like you're helping my friends. I can help you get to that place... far far away from the Council and all of this craziness."

Imre gazed up at her, and for the first time since Rainbow Dash knew the mare, her face bore a pained expression. "Why? After what I've just told you... why would you do something like that for me?"

"'Cuz I also had to come to terms with my ugliness," Rainbow Dash said, tapping the ruby lightning bolt around her neck. "But the last step isn't learning to face it." She leaned forward and rested a daring hoof on the mare's shoulder. "But learning to live with it. And that's not nearly as easy to do by yourself as you might think."

Imre exhaled heavily, as if a deep weight was released from her insides.

"You wanna give it a try? Hmm?"

Imre gulped. "Y-yes," she said, sniffling.

"Hey... no more sap, now...huh?" Rainbow Dash patted her shoulder and led her towards the barn. "Lemme help you get your healing stuff. This isn't a time to mope, girlfriend. Roarke's on our side. We can track Pilate. We even have Tweak the army guy is in on this crap." She giggled and her voice cracked, "This is gonna rock!"

PreviousChapters Next