• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,075 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,075

PreviousChapters Next
A Convenient Inconvenience

Josho's eyes were the first to open. He squinted, his bloodshot cornea squinting against the noonday sun. He winced openly, running a hoof over his skull. Stirring besides the fallen managlider against which he was reclined, the obese stallion stretched his crackling joints. He looked at his right forelimb, seeing a tall empty bottle held in the crook of his hoof. With a sigh, he glanced at his left side—then did a double-take.

Eagle Eye was curled up against him, his soft head resting innocently across the larger stallion's midsection. His lavender body rose and fell with tiny breaths.

Josho blinked. At last, he groaned, rolling his eyes. He positioned himself to shove the petite pony off him, but ultimately hesitated. After a few seconds, he sighed, lying back against the metal vehicle once more. He blew out the edge of lips and glanced across the empty countryside.

Only it wasn't empty anymore; several equine shadows stood before him.

"Crap biscuits!" Josho grunted, hopping up to his hooves in a flash. He raised the bottle like a weapon and swung it around with a glowing horn. In the meantime, Eagle Eye dangled from his forelimb, snorting awake.

"Huh?! What?! Oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez!" Eagle Eye shrieked as his hooves flailed.

"Silence, kid!" Josho snarled. "I got these mana-huffing tattoo fetishists—"

With a flash of blue light, an entire phalanx of manarifles stared the enforcer down. The first of several soldiers marched forward. Stepping out of the shine of the bright day's glare, he turned out to be wearing a purple beret. "At ease," he said. "We're not Xonans." The stallion's eyebrow raised. "We would, however, like to know what you two are doing out here with this abandoned hovercraft."

Josho blinked. He dropped the bottle and snickered awkwardly. "Yes... well... you see..." He thrusted his limbs down, forcing Eagle Eye to balance himself on all fours. "There were... uhm... foxes. Tons of suicidal foxes and..."

"Did they bind you two together?" The officer asked.

Josho shook his head. "Oh, no. That was the Killas."

"Killas...?"

"Diamond dogs enslaving stallions to harvest giant sapphires out of the earth."

The soldiers exchanged glances.

Josho sighed. "Look. My Registy Number is Seven Two Zero Five Nine Eight Six Alpha Zed. If you review your unit's fancy smancy records, you'll find that I'm a Prime Enforcer in the service of Her Majesty—"

"Josho?" Another soldier marched up. "Enforcer Josho?"

Josho blinked at the stallion. "Yeah...?"

The first officer spoke with a suspicious glare. "Are you Prime Enforcer Josho of Blue Slope?"

Eagle Eye glanced at the older stallion. Eventually, the pony murmured, "Maaaaaaaaybe... Depends. Am I wanted dead or deader?"

"You were presumed dead, sir!" the other soldier exclaimed. "Prime Enforcer Shell confirmed it."

"Did he, now...?"

"We had prepared a letter to be sent home to your next of kin and everything."

"Ha!" Josho smirked. "Fat chance! My next of kin ran off to Spark knows where years ago, and she took my libido with her." A beat. He cleared his throat. "That is to say, I'm relieved to say that I'm alive... somewhat."

"Fortunate for you that we were ordered to head north to Blue Nova," the first soldier said. "Otherwise, we would never have passed by this corner of Foxtaur."

"How... do you mean...?" Josho stammered. He heard Eagle Eye gasp. Looking up, Josho spotted an enormous shadow jutting across the bright sky.

The Steel Wing loomed immensely overhead, its hull patched up in over a dozen places. It flew as gracefully as it ever did before, and several smaller aircraft were darting around it as they performed a sweep of the area.

"We thought that you could possibly have been one of the missing crewponies," the first soldier said. "Now that we know it's you, it would be best that we brought you aboard and went on our way. Captain Filta has afforded enough setbacks as it is, and there is no more time to waste."

Josho bit his lip. He glanced over at Eagle Eye.

The petite stallion glanced back. With a sigh, he hung his head with folded ears.

"Is there something wrong, Enforcer?" one of the stallions asked.

Josho looked back. "Er, no. Well... aside from... eheh..." He raised the hoof that was affixed to Eagle Eye.

The first soldier squinted at it. "Primitive. We should be able to get it off you easily." He turned and nodded towards the lavender unicorn. "Who is this? One of the bandits from the forest?"

"Something like that, yeah."

"Well, we don't have much time." The soldier turned to his fellow compatriots. "Take care of him, ponies."

All of the guns cocked and aimed at Eagle Eye.

He clenched his eyes shut and winced.

"Whoah!" Josho jumped in front of the glowing barrels, waving a forelimb.

"Hold!" The soldier turned towards the heavyset equine. "Sir...?"

Josho gulped and said, "He's... uhm... important to the investigation. I mean, Shell's still wanting to nab that rainbow fart of a pegasus, isn't he?"

The soldier squinted. "In what way can this traitor assist the search?"

"Up your flank and spinning around with porcupines on his head! That's how!" Josho leaned in and growled into the soldier's face. "I may not have my uniform, shorty, but I outrank you from here to your mother's saddle squeegee! We're bringing him on board with me, or should I explain to Shell why you let a key component of his mission go to waste?!"

The soldier leaned back, blinking awkwardly. With a sigh, he motioned towards the distance. A hovercraft lifted up that had been parked besides a dense line of thickets. "Very well. We'll deal with your manacles on the way to Blue Nova. I'm certain Captain Filta would like to hear all about your recent exploits."

"Yeah, he'd better be sporting a leather couch, the cat huffer..." Josho grunted as the soldiers led him and Eagle Eye towards the transport. In the shadow of the Steel Wing, the stallion gulped and glanced aside at his bound companion.

Eagle Eye trotted forward, a sad expression hanging beneath his slumped gait.

With a grumbling breath, Josho gazed ahead. "Should never have shared the friggin' bottle. It went dry too dayum fast..."

PreviousChapters Next