• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 9,079 Views, 10,169 Comments

Innavedr - Imploding Colon



A broken party of friends struggles to reunite. Rainbow Dash continues to fly east.

  • ...
44
 10,169
 9,079

PreviousChapters Next
Explaining To Do

Overseer Fatch was not in a good mood. Angry lines crossed the dark brown features of his muzzle as he marched down a rubble-strewn hallway of the Nightshade Facility, flanked by subordinates.

"Overseer, the Madame is asking for another update. She says that the ring team is getting close to a breakthrough, and she wants an update on the think tank. Are they any closer to completing their augmentation of the airship?"

"Does that lady expect me to be in four places at once?!" Fatch growled. "I love the Madame with all my heart, but this tears it! I'm having to manage a hangar full of multiple hoverships AND facilitate the requisition of runic metal AND clean up a Spark-forsaken zeppelin crash ALL on top of babysitting a bunch of ponies who shouldn't even be here to begin with!"

"Overseer, you know how much this project means to—"

"Well, it's certainly taking its toll on me!" Fatch grumbled. "I know Madame Nightshade has her glorious 'vision of the future' that she wishes to achieve, but at what cost?!" He stopped before a pair of double doors leading to the most damaged section of the building. "There are just too many fissures in the whole plan, and I fear we've burned all the bridges that we need in case we have to backtrack!"

"My apologies, Overseer. But I am just a messenger."

Fatch sighed, running a hoof through his frazzled gray mane. "I know. I know. Believe me, son, I completely envy you. I'm starting to think that—in this company—it's better to be a leg than a head." He pressed a button before him.

The double doors swished open, and Shell's scarred face turned to stare at him.

Fatch and his closest workers jolted, their expressions paling.

Shell quietly gazed at them. Behind him, three hovering managliders could be seen levitating beyond the open gash in the glass windows of the crash site. Many of the Nightshade workers who were cleaning up the mess did so now with a degree of sluggishness and anxiety, constantly casting glances over their shoulders as the uniformed stallion pivoted about and marched icily towards Fatch.

"Greetings, my little ponies. I am Prime Enforcer Shell of the Ledomaritan Defense Initiative." He scuffled to a stop, blinked, and said, "Quite the hole you have here."

Fatch gulped. "Erm... yes. Yes, we... erm... we had a zeppelin veer off course and collide with our facility here. We've been spending the past twelve hours in... erm... assessing the damage."

"I trust nopony was hurt...?"

"Believe it or not, we were well prepared for this, sir," Fatch said. He cleared his throat and extended a hoof with a trembling smile. "My name is Overseer Fatch. I manage the industrial sector of Nightshade Industries. I work directly under Sir Ordo of the Domestic Division and—"

"Mr. Fatch, how does a two-ton zeppelin with Ledomaritan registration and slow manathrusters get past the local security grid and still manage to crash into one of Nightshade Industries' most important structures?"

"Erm... well, Enforcer, sir, believe it or not—collisions are quite common in a city like Blue Nova—"

"Except that they're not," Shell droned. "I'm familiar with the statistics of every major city, Mr. Fatch. Blue Nova hasn't had an airship crash in nearly twenty-two years, and that was an incident involving inclement weather. Now, don't pretend that Nightshade Industries is not in possession of exceptional security detachments. I had to speak with no less than three patrols along the way here."

"Your knowledge of Blue Nova's history is exceptional, Enforcer," Fatch said, his expression bordering that of a frown. "Though I am tempted to question the authority with which you've presented yourself here."

"National security," Shell said. "The zeppelin that crashed here was hijacked by two fugitives who are a threat to the Council of Ledo and the Confederacy abroad."

Fatch squinted. "And you know this... how?"

Shell's horn glowed. From behind his back, he levitated a shattered shard of the crashed vehicle's hull. A numerical inscription was on its side. "This registry matches that of an airship which, just days ago, was tethered to a Ledomaritan military observation post located over a hundred miles south of here. Seeing that Nightshade Industries is the generous organization that creates these vehicles, I'm quite certain you of all ponies would agree that vehicle registries simply aren't duplicated."

"That... that..." Fatch glanced between the shard and Shell. He frowned. "How on earth did you acquire that? It was being held aside for a company investigation!"

"I make it my business to ascertain the truth behind recent calamities, especially when enemies of the state are involved."

"Enemies of the st-state...?"

"It was two suspects who hijacked the craft," Shell said. "One in possesson of a manasphere, and the other capable of wielding exceptional magic. Utilizing great force, they were capable of single-hoofedly leveling an entire company of soldiers to the floor and taking the zeppelin as their own. If they are here—if they are on the loose in Blue Nova—then they are a great danger to the city, the citizens... and to you."

Fatch held his breath. He glanced aside. His subordinates looked timidly back. Clearing his throat, Overseer Fatch glanced back at Shell. "Negative," he said. "There were no suspects to be found in the zeppelin ruins. At least, not yet. Unless our investigation turns up something significant, it would seem as if the crashing zeppelin was a derelict when it got here... sir."

Shell's one good eye narowed. "Is that a fact?"

"I've already submitted my report to Madame Nightshade."

"Well, you may wish to submit another one." Shell stepped back. "Evans?"

The Nightshade workers watched as a pale enforcer with sandy brown hair marched up. The somewhat frazzled soldier did his best to maintain composure as he telekinetically dragged a body over and dumped it before the group.

"Unnnngh..." the pony groaned. He was a stallion, dressed in the blue colors of a Nightshade security detachment. Only... his uniform was tattered in several places and his body freshly bruised. "Pfftt... snkt... Overseer F-Fatch...?"

"What... How..." Fatch grimaced, his face paling. "What in spark's name is the meaning of this?! What have you done to one of my guards?"

"He did it to himself," Shell droned. "The moment he resisted telling us the truth was the very moment he allied himself with the fugitives that I am tasked with finding. All it took was a little bit of persuasion, and he realized it was in his best interest to stop lying to me."

"A zebra..." The guard sputtered, curling up into a fetal position. "It was a zebra and s-some creature with antlers. I'm so sorry, Overseer. I'm so sorry... b-but the zebra survived..."

"A zebra, how interesting," Shell said, stepping over the spasming body of the guard to approach Fatch. "Did you know that I made no mention of a striped equine when I spoke with this gentlecolt? And yet he volunteered the information—not only gladly, but specifically. As it would so happen, there is a zebra with a manasphere who is currently in the Council of Ledo's top five most wanted list. He has connections with forces that are capable of knocking entire zeppelins out of the sky. Do you realize what this means?"

Fatch was dead silent.

Shell loomed before him. "Overseer, your dedication to the executives of Nightshade Industries is admirable. But the secrets you are attempting to harbor threaten the very existence of everything we hold dear. It would behoove you to cooperate with us just like your... employee here realized it was wise to do."

After a few seconds of contemplation, Fatch calmly said, "I cannot confirm nor deny the presence of a zebra fugitive on this property."

Evans flashed a look at Shell.

Shell was silent as a statue for a while. Eventually, he nodded. "Very well." Swiveling, he faced his subordinate and said, "Enforcer Evans, send messengers to the southern armada. Have Captain Filta pilot the Steel Wing and two other zeppelins towards this location. While you're at it, set up a level one security screen with the local detachments of the Ledomaritan Defense Force."

"Aye, Prime Enforcer, sir!" Evans scampered away.

Fatch's jaw dropped. "What...?! You're sending a battleship here to Blue Nova?!"

"Affirmative," Shell droned. "Quite frankly, there is no alternative measure. This target must be acquired at all cost. It is part of a grand operation whose success may actually dictate the fate of Ledomare's military contingency."

"How can you do this?!" Fatch sputtered. "You have no right to tread all over our property with—"

"If you care so much about Nightshade's operations here, then perhaps your own actions are what deserve to be analyzed," Shell said, his voice reaching a heated, growling pitch all of the sudden. His one eye twitched as he bore down on Fatch. "By keeping these secrets, you are inadvertently protecting the one link to Ledomare's single greatest enemy aside from the Xonans. I am talking about a fugitive so strong, so single-hoofedly powerful, that when she discovers who is here, it will be she who arrives here with the anger of a million marching soldiers, and it will be up to her discretion whether this city stands or gets razed to the ground. Would you like to take personal responsibility for that?!"

Fatch stumbled back, his lips quivering in horror.

Shell breathed calmly as he said, "Now, would you kindly tell me the true fate of these two fugitives who crashed the zeppelin here...?"

PreviousChapters Next