• Published 3rd Feb 2013
  • 38,495 Views, 868 Comments

Kinds of Love - Rainedash



There are some things in life they don't warn you about, such as your wife asking to try new, rather unique things in the bedroom. But to please her, Shining would do damn near anything.

Comments ( 74 )

I thought Kinds of Love might get back into the featured section but didn't expect it to happen that quickly. You guys are impressive.

8-Bit is Button's Dad?

derpicdn.net/img/2013/2/28/258010/full.gif

A nice little view of Shining being comfortable as a mare. Loved it, brah. :ajsmug:

4445651 I originally heard of the idea from a random comment on Derpibooru and then when I thought about it, it just kinda made sense considering his age and cutie mark.

mithril mace

Wouldn't a Mithril mace be really light and not very good for smashing things?

I like gender shifting Shining Armor being all calm with it. It is a nice touch to the story.

4446430 as gandalf once said, "...light as a feather, but hard as dragon scales". Therefore, you can swing it a lot faster than a iron or steel mace, but still inflict a lot of damage to get dat dps

4448189

The hardness isn't the issue. The issue is that if it weighs much less then there's much less crushing force.

That was fun, though at on point Medley's Name changes to Lyric.

4448360
I'm going to guess it's the JRPG rule. Much like in some Final Fantasy's Mythrill is far stronger then any other metal due to 'magical qualities'

4449868

It doesn't matter if it's completely indestructible. It's still LIGHTER.

4450120
Doesn't matter, 'Magical Qualities' remember? It's still hard, just being lighter means faster swinging. Welcome to the world of DnD and RPGs.

4450174

Maces don't hurt because they're hard, they hurt because they're heavy.

Posting an extra chapter to a story to raise attention for the sequel?
That is positively wicked, evil even.
Having said that, please continue. :twilightblush:

4445612
You are the one who's impressive.

so first was cleric is the cautionary of the group and is the one always warning them of danger and not to rush into it , and then you say "Shadow knew that clerics weren't particularly well known for spotting traps, illusions, and the like,"??......

and then you end up making shadow fall for the obvious traps anyways -.-? like wtf......

4457256 Because cautious doesn't mean you're good at spotting traps. It just means you're cautious. Also, clerics as a class just don't have any type of trap finding bonus.

4457298 i don't play d&d so i wouldn't know , but that doesn't answer the problem with shadow suddenly becoming dumb.....

4457321 Shadow wasn't particularly dumb though. It was the illusions around the undead that was making him uneasy since he could sense something was off about them, so he went back to the one pony that didn't have an illusion and thus didn't trigger any strong feelings in him.

4457682 mmmmmok i'll buy that.....

4457256 In D&D, especially in 3.5 and Pathfinder, the Cleric is basically just a walking health pack.

4458022 well that's lame :l , clerics in dark souls can at least do other stuff with their incantations or w/e it is they use.....

4458062 So can clerics in D&D, it's just the role they usually end up filling, especially with new players.

4458102 i see , also i want more kinds of love pony d&d along side more clop now too :l ....

hold on now , that also doesn't make any sense , so the demon reanimated a bunch of murdered corpses , and then they apparently had illusion magic cast on them to make them appear normal , while at the same time they're also held together by a magic that prevents those bodies from decaying , which is also effecting cider , meaning she still had some magical influence on her body which shadow should have picked up on....

also how does they rp playing a table top d&d game like that to have it come out as described in the story?.....

4460979 The demon's magic isn't affecting the cider. That was just an old fashion charm potion. And the DnD sections of the story are simply telling what's happening from the character's perspective. What would actually be happening in reality is simply them saying what their characters are doing and making all the necessary checks to perform the actions.

4461224 nooo not the apple cider , cider the character , that was her name wasn't it?....

and i see.....

4461266 Oh, her. Yeah. The demon magic just keeps her young, but there is no illusions with her. What you see is what you get. That's why she wouldn't set off red flags that the undead might in a rogue good enough to tell that something is off about them.

4461717 ok i see......

4446430 Maybe the mace has a lead core?

Took me longer then I would've liked, but I finally finished reading this and all I can say is :yay:

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

I loved this story and what you did with it! Can't wait to see how the sequel goes! :heart:

When I was a young, this power hungry jester poisoned my town. There weren't many survivors.”

"

And a character named Shadow? Could these be references to Final Fantasy VI?

.......NAH. :pinkiecrazy:

“Getting the mental image of one of my best friends as a chick making out with her hot wife and then noticing that I'm focusing more on Aegis than Cadance.”

Poindexter blushed and 8-Bit's wings went up.

“And now you two are doing the same, aren't you?”

“Yep,” replied 8-Bit.

“This is so messed up,” said Gaffer.

And this is why I avoid certain moral limitations.

4446430 isn't mythril a hard, light weight meta- oh. Now I get it.

4447042 not to mention amusing.

4548923 He was based on a one time character in Rocko's Modern Life. Actually, the whole chapter was. So, if you want to see more of him, looking up the Rocko's Modern Life episode called: Carnival Knowledge.

I loved this story, particularly the part about Aegis and Eros, fantastic.

Id suggest you do an entire story about them, maybe in some kinda R63 universe.

The bonus chapter though... didn't particularly care for.

Four filler chapters without baring or pay-off...And the fourth some kind of pseudo-chapter that doesn't even truly belong. What in the name of frosty quagsires are you even thinking, author?!

4568444 It's a slice of life story. It's all filler about them doing random stuff in their lives. And Slice of life rarely has some kind of big payoff.

4568699 No, the problem is that it's 'unrelated filler'. You basically ended the story on the 7th chapter and tacked on a useless subplot that's not even part of the timeline... I don't think you realize how insulting that is to your readers. We came to read about Shining and Cadance, not alternate universes going over the same damn things from the show...The last four chapters could have been split up into two different stories...they had no relevance!

I feel like I've gotten half-way through something, and now I'm being cut off! Don't separate me from my weed stories!

4568734 It is related though. The whole reason they started switching back and forth was to experience love from other angles, which is what prompted the dream sequence, something that was more or less set up by Aegis talking to Luna in her dream. Also, it wasn't an alternate universe, and last time I checked, the show itself did not go over the history of how Cadance and Shining Armor's relationship.

Oh and the bonus chapter was about them playing a game with their friends... how does that not fit into a story that was nothing but events from their average day to day lives?

4571522 ...You basically inserted a stylistic 'alternate' point of view where Shining grew as Aegis. That wasn't dream sequence, that was full on alternate reality. (It was also boring in the extreme, as most other authors have gone over it several times. The show does gloss over the building of the relationship, as do the comics.) The chapter before you started the three-part 'thing' you inserted in was dream sequence, and that was what I'd expect from it.

Oh and the bonus chapter was about them playing a game with their friends...how does that not fit into a story that was nothing but events from their average day to day lives?

Because it wasn't clear that they were playing a game. You take things entirely from the game's perspective and therefore, the only real dialogue between the characters you've established is at the end.

It's the same problem with the previous segment. You disable the characters you've already introduced to go through something that doesn't belong. In these two partitions, you've basically set aside the characters you brought to the table, (knocked them on the floor like cheap trash), to give us, (readers), a handful of characters with no bearing on either the plot or the end goal, (which you did establish despite the 'slice-of--life' you claim to be writing).

It's disconcerting. It's like... you have a set of toys and once you're bored you melt the plastic over a pot for a water bottle. That's really the best analogy for what you have.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly like the story so far...I just think you went off the deep end with the last four chapters.

Only issue?

Poindexter should've asked if Cadance could switch him for a bit.

Veteran crossplayer AND crossdresser, and he wouldn't go for it? P'shaw!

4788454 Yep. Even the name of the chapter is a play on the carnival episode title of Rocko, Carnival Knowledge.

4788575 I thought it was a reference of "The Spoony One"?

...or was that just the title?

4851339
Oh, that comment was in response to someone asking about chapter 2. Not sure why it put it in the Chapter 11 section (probably because I'm doing this off front page rather than going to the chapter and then responding).

The chapter title is just a play on the term, spoony bard.
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/you-spoony-bard

4851500 Funny, and I thought it was a reference to this guy.
img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120606111816/at4w/images/2/25/SpoonyAndGuardian.png
"How do they not know I'm the Avatar?! I'M BIGGER THAN JESUS!"

:rainbowlaugh:That's a laugh.
-The Character

Watching this display of fan hype from behind the counter was a blue unicorn who had been wearing her version of his costume long before it became popular. Trixie smiled at the sight and thought to herself, Finally, Trixie has found where she belongs.

Pfff! She doesn't even have the proper number of bells on the hat. Fake geek mare! [/comicbookguy]

“Actually, I'm going to sit this one out guys,” said Shadow. He quickly added, before they could respond, “An experienced cleric should be able to take goblins out with ease, and the novice there could use the experience.”

Dammit, Shadow! Never split the party!

5041008

I'm not sure what you're implying.

Oh hey a new chapter-oh.
Somebody hit the publish button by accident.

Login or register to comment