• Published 18th Sep 2023
  • 1,902 Views, 58 Comments

HOLES - semillon



Ocellus talks to one of her changeling students about a certain choice in his form.

  • ...
11
 58
 1,902

HOLES

His chitin is cyan today, like mine, but his eyes are hibiscus red, and there’s the biggest thing about him, the thing that drives me and King Thorax and Pharynx and the rest of the hive completely insane: his holes.

I can hear Smolder cackling right now. Her sense of humor has ruined me.

No, but, there’s something really wrong with me. Or is it him?

Hyaline, cyan and hibiscus and moth-eaten, sits across from me, frowning. “What am I here for, Professor?”

I smile at him professionally. “I just wanted to—”

“You haven’t been talking to many of your own kind lately, have you?” Hyaline asks.

Frustrating. He’s correct. I bet my…my….

“Can I ask you a question?” I smile at him, more genuinely, smaller and unsure. “What am I feeling right now?”

Hyaline regards me with suspicion before saying, “You’re upset. The same kind of upset that everybuggy back home feels in their gut when they look at me.”

“And why do you think that is?” I ask.

Hyaline’s wings let out a quiet chirp. He asks, “Why do you think that is?”


Smolder’s arms are wrapped around me, holding me close to her like a stuffed animal as we recline in our giant plush loveseat. I’m ashamed to admit that this is the place I belong most in the world. Not in any library or ancient ruins.

Cozy. Safe. Happy.

My dragon’s arms are warm and comforting and the sheer love I feel with every hug from her will never change. I never want it to.

“What’s wrong?” she whispers in my ear.

Nothing. Nothing’s wrong. I just can’t figure one of my students out and it’s eating away at me because his parents and my monarch both want me to figure out why he’s so sulky and not even Pharynx can get through to him, like he always does the more rebellious kids.

Smolder has enough on her plate. She’s got Ember demanding that she be ready to be her aide at the annual Convocation of the Creatures next week and she has Coco wanting notes on their most recent collaboration and she’s taking the SoF buckball team to nationals at the end of the month. Plus, she’s on her period.

I need to talk to her with nothing but questions.

“Do you think something’s wrong?” I ask.

“If you’re asking that, then there’s definitely something wrong,” she says.

I fidget. “Why does asking about your own mental state mean that something’s wrong?”

She gives me a squeeze. “Because your elytra are twitching.”

“Fuck,” I sigh.

“Whoah!” Smolder chuckles. “ Language, missy.”

“It’s Hyaline,” I say.

“Again?” she asks. “Did he get into another fight?”

I hang my head. “I think I might hate him.”

“Why?”

“That’s a good question.” I climb off of her lap and turn to face her. “It’s the holes.”

Smolder snorts.

“I’m going to murder you,” I say.

That only gets her to laugh wholeheartedly.

I cover my eyes. “Am I a bad teacher?”

“Nope,” she says.

“Am I a bad changeling?” I ask.

“That’s a more serious question,” she says. “Does Hyaline make you feel like a bad changeling?”


“Tell me about your holes,” I say to him.

Hyaline’s eyes widen. “Professor—”

“You know which ones!” I bark.

Hyaline’s eyes have a spark of mirth to them, though his mouth stays in that semi-permanent frown he always has.

A good sign, maybe?

“Do they look familiar to you?” he asks. He raises a leg, showing off how perforated it is, like a wheel of cheese.

“That’s an obvious question,” I say.

I hate looking at them. I hate looking at them. I hate looking at them. I can’t look away.

“I like them,” he says. “Other creatures don’t.”

I’m unsure what to say other than, “I can see why.”

He shoots me a look. “Is the goal of this school to learn about the merits of friendship, or is it to learn how to be friends with anyone?”

“The former,” I say. “There’s debate about the latter. I’m on the side that asserts there are some creatures who you may never be friends with.”

“You’ve said that in class,” he said. “If there are some creatures I will never be friends with, but I’m supposed to understand and value and seek out friendship, then I should be looking for creatures who understand me, right?”

I nod.

“Then it doesn’t matter how many creatures don’t understand me, right?” he asks.

“You still haven’t explained yourself,” I say.

“Why do you want to know?” he asks.

“King Thorax—”

“Why?” he interrupts.

“Your parents—”

“Professor!” he cries. “Why?”

“Because they freak me out!” The words leave my mouth before I can think about not saying them, and they come out louder than I expected—bursting out of me in a scream.

My first instinct is to apologize, to placate him or run away or—or something, but Hyaline isn’t afraid. I don’t feel any fear coming from him.

My breathing comes in heaves. He watches me with a completely neutral expression. His father was an infiltrator. He must have had lessons.

“My parents have nightmares about starvation,” he says. “My older sister can’t sleep unless she exhausts herself, so she runs around the hive all day doing every job she can find so she just passes out as soon as she lies down.”

“I have nightmares,” I say. “We all do. Did. You shouldn’t. Your clutch was the first one outside of Chrysalis. You’re the same age as my siblings.”

“I’ve heard that a thousand times,” he says. “I look like how you all do in your nightmares.”

I scoff. “Easy there, horror show.”

Hyaline glares at me. “This is how I want to look. This is what I feel like. What’s so wrong with that?”

I shake my head. “That’s all fine, but the hive—”

“You all went too far,” he says. “When ponies see me, when other creatures see me, they’re all scared. How can you not see how just—there’s a single change in how I am compared to the rest of you and they’re all scared, even though Chrysalis is petrified and everycreature loves Thorax. What would happen if my chitin was black? Do you think I’d just be getting into yelling matches with my classmates? And none of you, not Thorax, not you, not my parents, not anyone in the hive is asking why. You’re all so love-drunk you haven’t seen the price we pay to get it.”


I change forms. My chitin darkens into an ocean blue. My legs and wings feel lighter; the holes.

Smolder tilts her head.

“Do I look scary?” I ask.

“No,” she says.

“Why?”

“You’re my wife,” she says.

“And if I were a stranger?”

“I guess you might freak me out,” she says.

“Why?”

“You look like how you do in those plays,” she says. “Those stuffy ones that Professor Rarity made us watch in school? The ones that were supposed to be about her and her friends kicking bug butt but were actually about all the evil stuff your warriors got up to in Canterlot, away from the palace.”

I run my tongue over my fangs. “Hmm.”

“What’s wrong?” she asks. “Did I say something upsetting?”

“No,” I say. “No, just…I wonder what might happen if I looked like this more often. Would other creatures have a problem with me? Like they do Hyaline?”

“I’d set ‘em on fire,” Smolder says. She opens her arms, beckoning me to the warmth of her lap.

I walk to her, lie across her legs like a cat. “What do you think?”

“Hyaline’s a good kid,” she says. “And he has a couple of friends.”

“He doesn’t have five or more,” I mutter.

“Not everyone needs five or more,” she whispers. She scritches my neck, which makes me purr. “You know what I think?”

“What?” I ask.

“I think you look awesome,” she says. “From a design perspective, you look really, really awesome. You look like a sweet thing that’s been destroyed a little bit, but it’s the good kind of destruction. You’re better for it. You have the literal holes in your heart on display for the world to see, and it makes you look strong. You’re like a mountain with some chunks taken out of it. You’re all jagged and stuff but the rock is still smooth. You’re still grand. I’d still climb you.”

“You’re stupid,” I say.

“You don’t mean that,” she says.

“How do you know?”

“Your elytra are twitching.”

“Do you think I’m a good changeling?” I ask.

And Smolder takes a moment to think, which is incredibly rare.

Then she leans forward and kisses my temple. “I think you’re a changeling, and that’s good enough for me.”

The taste of her love is clean, pure, satisfying, every synonym I can’t think of right now. I’m lucky to have her. Someone who can look at me and see me, no matter what I look like.

“Fuck,” I whisper.

“Language,” she whispers back.

“I think I like Hyaline,” I say.

“He’s a good kid,” she says. “He has things figured out.”

“Not all of them.” I yawn. I lie my head on the seat’s leg rest. “But I can help him with some of the things.”

“And he’ll help you?” she asks.

“I was going to leave that part unsaid,” I say. “But yes.”

Before I close my eyes, I change forms again, and I’m greeted with Smolder humming delightedly.

“I wanted to be cyan again,” I explain.

“It’s a good color,” she says, stroking my butt. “It’s my second favorite part about you, actually.”

“What’s the first?” I ask.

Smolder snickers. “Your holes.”


At the beginning of class, a few mornings later, I enter as a mouse, surveying everyone, seeing Hyaline in the back with his friends.

And then I shift, and when everycreature sees me, their jaws drop.

“Um, is that Chrysalis?” one of the griffons, Gush, asks. He looks to his best friend—a pink hippogriff named Seaflower, who shrugs at him with their wings.

“That’s Ocellus, birdbrain,” the changeling sitting behind them says.

“It is?” Seaflower asks.

“She looks evil,” Gush says.

“No she doesn’t!” a pony across the row says.

“She kind of does,” says another changeling.

“Fifteenth golden rule of social etiquette according to Rarity Unicorn,” I say.

The class straightens up and quiets down.

“If someone is present for a conversation, do not talk about them as if they aren’t there,” Gush stammers with a blush. “Sorry, professor.”

I smile. “You’re in school, Gush. You’re learning, you recognized when you were wrong, and you apologized. You’re forgiven, and I’m very proud.”

An orange unicorn from the middle section raises her hoof. “Can I ask a question, professor?”

I know what the question is, and everycreature else does, as well.

“Why do you look like that?”

I take a deep breath, and exhale slow.

I look towards the back, to where Hyaline is, cyan like mine usually are, holes like mine used to be.

I look down at myself, obsidian chitin and punctured like swiss cheese.

I look up, at the waiting faces of the class, and at the awestruck look on Hyaline.

“Today I’m going to be talking about a lot of different things. I’m going to talk to you about changelings, and about mistakes, and ignorance. I’m going to talk about judgment, misconceptions and vindication. But I’m mainly going to talk about feelings. As a changeling, I know a lot about those, and I know about how your own feelings and others’ feelings can get tangled and frayed, and I know about how they can tie you up so bad that you can no longer lift your head and see the world around you for what it is. I’m going to tell you all something.”

Hyaline leans forward. I make sure to look at him, to look directly at him.

“It hurts to be wrong,” I say, “but it’s cruel to be wrong and to continue to be wrong. It’s okay to be wrong. It’s good to apologize. What you owe your friends the most is to recognize when your feelings are getting in the way of doing what is right, to turn yourself back around, and change.”

I look around, at the rest of the class, and I start my lecture.

“I used to look like this, not that long ago. This appearance reminds me of the worst days of my life, but it’s a part of who I am…”

And I continue and I talk and I teach, and I realize something wonderful.

I’ve learned something new.

One is the very obvious thing.

Two is that the holes make me feel about ten pounds lighter, which kind of makes me feel nice. Pretty, even.

Holes.

Hah.

Okay, maybe it’s kind of funny.

Author's Note:

written for the Quills and Sofas Speedwriting server changeling contest uhhhh, a few months ago?
(i got 2nd place!)
the prompt was love-drunk

Comments ( 58 )
Dufa #1 · Sep 18th, 2023 · · 1 ·

This fic hits a very niche sweet spot of being both a Student Six as adults fic, and a dive into lore implications. Like, it feels like something that would naturally happen in the world the show established and that is just so cool to see.

Howdy, hi~!

Really enjoyed this one. I like the implications and concepts you toss around in this. It's very emotional and it vibes with me on an instinctual level that just kind of worms its way into my brain and makes me think a lot (I like that feeling). Banger read, thank you~!

I see a lot of manipulation written in this story by utilizing some aspects of healthy mentality & logic to excuse the selfishness & unhealthy mentality displayed here that society these days is having to deal with in real life.
You voice any disagreement, like I'm doing, and someone will feel like their being denied a perceived right like a child does when you tell them no, regardless if you explain why. In response people will attack you, in one manner or another, to try to silence you so they can keep doing things as they dictate.

Tactics like that are what led to WW2. And this story just further adds to the pile of evidence showing that society is going to face serious consequences if logic & reason aren't reasserted to do away with excusism, delusion, selfishness, & manipulation. Keep in mind, there's no such thing as perfection, so no perfect society will exist. But a better one can with logic & reason. Society is, after all, an environment. A healthy environment means healthy inhabitants.

I say all this as the story is written as if the writer is writing about themself but uses Ocellus & Hyaline in substitution to play both sides of the debate. Hyaline, after all, does mean glassy & transparent in appearance.
So as I said at the start, I see a lot of manipulation written in this story.

Lovely to see more bugs from you! Another great 1st POV fic. :pinkiesmile:

i adore this story
hyaline is a great character, i think he carries a great lesson and ocellus is the perfect character to learn from him and them move that lesson forward
plus ocellus and smolder are fantastic

Ehh... my first initial reaction is WTF bu then... it grew on me as I read on. It has interesting story and I feel like this tackles some real life issues. Kinda wish for it to go on, but this is perfect as it.

Finally some good fucking food

Ooh, super neat! Can't say I ever considered this aspect of changelings and changeling culture and how it could play out. Super neat read.

Love me some good bughorse words.

The feeling I got from this is that Hyaline is like a Jewish kid walking around in fashion based on the auschwitz prisoner uniform, loudly proclaiming it as his 'culture', and is confused as to why everyone, including the Jewish community, is ostracizing him for it.

By the end I realised that wasn't the intended reading, but I couldn't shake the feeling I got.

11699283
same
to use a more mlp-aligned analogy, it's like a Kirin deciding to shut up forever because "we gotta remember how bad it was, man"
by Celestia's gilded clit, this fic pisses me off
especially with how Ocellus starts going along with the dipshit's way of thinking
author, can you tell me if this fic's supposed to be an analogy for something irl?

Okay just to let everyone know the holes of Changelings aren't because they were starving they are a defect caused by Celestia. Even Chrysalis used to not have them so this story is kind of weird to me Ocellus should have mentioned that the holes weren't a part of them and were damage that was healed by their reformation. I like the story but dislike the premise because. the reason the changelings had holes, to begin with, wasn't due to the food situation but genetic and physical damage (chrysalis' fiendship is magic shows this and comics are the current primary canon but at the time were secondary canon)


Edit: the holes in a changeling are a form of cancer just instead of tumors its voids so the reason I agree with Ocellus freaking out is because Hyaline is unknowingly making himself look like he's deathly sick, not starving but dying of cancer

11698945
You can be right and still an unlikeable asshole. Those two things are not mutually exclusive. Being right or logical does not give you a pass to act in whatever way you'd like. You are not owed respect, not a single person on this planet is obliged to give you an ounce of their time or attention. Act like an asshole, people are not going to like it - even if you are technically "speaking the truth".

Though, honestly, if you find that most people are acting like that towards you, have you considered the possibility that maybe you're not as logical and reasonable that you think you are? Maybe you're just wrong and you're being an unlikeable douche, and people are just tired of your shit?

11699327
Ehhh...problem with citing that particular comic in question is that the show later went on to render most of it quite clearly non-canon, so it's debatable how much of it is even accurate anymore, lore wise, because ultimately the show always takes precedent (as evidenced by the fact that the show's staff never checked to make sure they weren't contradicting the comics).

Point is, I don't know if I'd really treat that point from the comic as definite lore, at least. Only optional at best, so if someone chooses to ignore it for whatever reason, there's not really enough of an argument to made to stop them.

11699335
oh, I get that it's not fully canon but the idea that the holes aren't natural or due to starvation is. I'm of the mind that the reason changelings had a larger need for food is due to them all having cancer and the food shortage causing the invasion makes the most sense.

Scyphi #16 · Sep 19th, 2023 · · 1 ·

So I get what this fic's trying to do. It's trying to say that the classic changeling design needn't be seen as a bad thing. That a classic design changeling can still be a good changeling, and it doesn't have to have the reformed appearance to do that. A point that probably shouldn't even need stressing considering that Thorax himself had already proved as such, and yet here we are.

...But I don't think this was the right way to go about making this point. And it's all because of Hyaline. Or rather, Hyaline's motivations for doing as he does.

See, Hyaline may be trying to make that same point themselves...but the way they're doing it is really, really insensitive, and that does not make him in the right for doing so. Indeed, my first reaction upon realizing why he was doing it was to think that he does not, I repeat, DOES NOT understand the true depth of what he is doing, of the far deeper significance of what those holes represent to some, and that significance is NOT irrelevant, much less something to be downplayed or even dismissed entirely. And worse, he doesn't want to understand. He's doing it as an act of rebellion, and good intentions or not, that's the wrong reasons to be doing what he's doing. He's, in a way, deliberately trying to cause offense, deliberately trying to get a rise out of the others, and that's not good, because it stirs up contention that doesn't need to be there at all. And that's the real problem the fic's inadvertently bringing to light here.

And, frustratingly, it just sort of ignores it entirely, when it probably should've been the real topic of focus with this particular set-up.

And that's a shame, because the whole "these holes don't have to be seen as a bad thing" moral is a good one that I would want to support. But because it decided to broach the subject through a rebellious teen that doesn't understand or care about the ramifications of what he's doing, regardless of whether they're justified or not, it kind of shoots itself in the foot doing so.

Personally, had it been me, I wouldn't have gone the Hyaline route at all. Instead, I would've just made the story be about an innocent question from one of her students (not even a fellow changeling) asking why Ocellus or really any of the changelings never really talk about their pre-reformation days, and that's what gets Ocellus thinking about the topic and whether or not it was healthy to be hiding from the subject. It would've achieved the same end goal in a more straightforward way and without all that added baggage of a teen doing it just to be rebellious.

That all said, I think I will still upvote this story, because as already said I do approve of the intended point of it all, flawed though I think the presentation is. :twilightsmile:

11699358
Well, luckily for you, the fic never said the holes were caused by starvation. They're associated with it, simply because they marked what is now seen as a very dark time in changeling history. In other words, the holes aren't caused by starvation, no, but they do inadvertently represent a time period where such a thing was running rampant.

So it's a moot point either way.

11698945

Tactics like that are what led to WW2.

W-what?

11699373
that's exactly my same reaction i just wanted to mention the stuff in the canon surrounding my feelings as well (honestly I couldn't put it into words so thank you for doing it)

11699380

Could you provide a tad more clarity as to your inquiry?

11699384

I see a lot of manipulation written in this story by utilizing some aspects of healthy mentality & logic to excuse the selfishness & unhealthy mentality displayed here that society these days is having to deal with in real life.
You voice any disagreement, like I'm doing, and someone will feel like their being denied a perceived right like a child does when you tell them no, regardless if you explain why. In response people will attack you, in one manner or another, to try to silence you so they can keep doing things as they dictate.

Tactics like that are what led to WW2. And this story

W-what?

11699393

Ok, I think I may know what you're asking. But could you go into more detail than "W-what" as to what is confusing or not understood in your own words? Be detailed if possible. As they say, there's no shame in asking a question only those who want to shame you for wanting clarity.

11699397
The comparison of a My Little Pony fanfic to World War II.

11699401

Ah, ok. Well, to keep this short, manipulative tactics of the worst types were utilized heavily that led up, into, & through WW2. This FIMfic is reminiscent of those tactics to a disturbing degree that I felt I had to comment. Now I am unaware as to how versed you are with that point in history, so I ask for your forgiveness if at somepoint I've sound rude or confusing.
An example of someone who during that time would be wanting to silence anyone who pointed out such manipulations that was part of the Axis powers wouldn't be too far off from sounding like the SorryLamp fellow earlier in the comments. They are a pretty good example of why I felt I needed to comment. Manipulation is becoming a terrifying thing in the world once more. Unfortunately, literature & entertainment are used heavily to sway others. Even if it's bit by bit.

But history has a nasty habit of repeating itself, usually in ways that leave scars that are plain to see for later generations. But unfortunately manipulative tactics are repeated or picked up and used once again despite history showing how devastating they are.
A few decades ago comics were said to cause violence so manipulative tactics were used to destroy many of them & businesses that sold them.
Videogames were the next target for a more recent example. All of these manipulative tactics had one thing or another to give them a fake justification. Sometimes by presenting some sort of flawed debate, flawed reasoning, or social pressures while trying to pull on the emotional strings of the heart such as in this FIMfic. A tactic used in WW2 that played a part in leading to destruction, death, & more horrors I'd rather not speak of given the choice.

I hope that was sufficient enough to satiate your inquiry.

another banger fic!! six-time consecutive world smolcellus champion!!

Ngl, the pre-thorax design is way cooler, I agree with the kid on that part.

To quote Jessie: "You can dress like a fag if you want, but I won't."

...Honestly, while I sort of get while you're trying to do here?

The way its handled is making Hyaline come off as freaking Punchline. And I hate Punchline.

bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/0222DC133-1-900x900.jpg

In response to Adamastos's comment, idk how to respond to something so dumb it automatically makes me feel better about some of the dumb opinions I have, so I'm just going to read the story and leave a nice comment.

This was a lovely story. It feels like the best possible explanation to what a goth changeling would be like. My heart is perforated with holes and this story fills them. This story fills my holes.

I loved this fic when it was submitted for the qns contest and I absolutely adore it now. Really wonderful work - I am always fascinated by fictions that explore these strange cultural clashes without an easy analogue to human cultures. It takes a lot of skill and a great imagination to paint these alien conflicts as something familiar and relatable. Your wonderful prose is just the cherry on top :heart:

This is a delightful story. I like the way Hyaline is triggering a reclamation of the changelings' holes and forcing Ocellus to confront her own biases. Very well written and charming.

Sorry for all the weirdos in your comments though.

i haven't read this discussion? debate?? in depth because i don't feel like it and i don't really care to argue with the interpretations of my readers

that being said, i feel like it might help certain people if i clarified that what i had at the forefront of my mind when writing this was aesthetics, counterculture and choices in fashion—goth changelings

and in expanding on the initial premise that i thought of (a pastel changeling adorning themself with the villainous, moth-eaten form that they used to have) i ended up framing the conflict as a difference in generational beliefs because it was interesting for me to have a character who was still objectively young be confronted with something like that

imo the comics are only a single point above Word of God in terms of being canon to the show, if that,

but i have indeed been caught in the act

i am trying to start world war 3

11699435
I always find it to be incredibly curious that people can spew so many words without actually saying anything at all. It's honestly amazing that you managed to stretch "it just does" into 2 full paragraphs, without ever explaining why or giving actual concrete examples.

Though I honestly shouldn't be surprised that a garbage opinion is entirely without anything backing it up. An unfounded opinion pulled from the void surely wouldn't.

Reading this story, I was reminded of the phrase "If you can't stand me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best."

While that phrase may be true and accurate, that's hardly an excuse to be an asshole to others, just for the sake of being an asshole.

Respect, tolerance, etc. are all two-way streets. You don't get to take and take and take without giving something in return. Specifically something of equal or equivalent value.

11698912
11698918
11699008
11699012
11699020
11699185
11699251
11699454
THANK YOUUUUU :heart::heart::heart:

i've always been curious as to what Post-Chrysalis changelings might end up doing a few decades down the line—real opportunities for the average changeling hive to look like a VRChat server

11699513
that's pretty much Hyaline hahahaha

11699724
11699785
:twilightsmile:
much appreciated!

11699373
I get where you're coming from! I think the point where you get frustrated with the story, Hyaline not knowing what, exactly, he's doing, would make for a better story if I'd worked at it more. I feel like it was important for me to have him in the story at all because I wanted to avoid making the changelings monolithic as a culture, but I see why your suggestion of avoiding the Hyaline route entirely would help me make my point in the simplest way. You make me wish I sat on this a little longer :twilightsheepish:

I appreciate the support and the feedback!

11699546

A response huh? That's odd, because I would've been alerted to a response to my comment. But I didn't get one. What this is is just cowardice and manipulation. You're trying to make me look wrong for having an opinion and claiming what I said is dumb automatically just because of you're own opinions as you have stated for all to see. You are the one who asked me to explain my reasoning for commenting. I did so honestly. But you? Instead of replying that you disagree with me & leave it at that, you went & tried your hand at this toxic disgrace & dishonesty.

You haven't made a nice comment. You've just tried to sway people, to manipulate them, to see you as a better person than me without any substance to back it up. This is all the actions of a school bully or a shallow piece of work who needs others to see them as superior &/or in a good light for their own wants. Such actions remind me of two fillies from the show. Diamond Tiara & Cozy Glow.

But, if you're fine with being like them? OK, that's your choice. But I will not let some just shame me for voicing my opinion or try to make me out as an idiot for their own cowardice & dishonesty! Especially when they are the one who approached me for an explanation!

After what you have done, what have you accomplished? You have proven my opinion and explanation that manipulation is rising once more at a disturbing rate. That this story does have manipulative aspects and that there are people who will attack you, in one manner or another, to try to silence you should you voice an opinion that they dislike so they can make themselves seem better & keep doing things as they dictate.

If you were an actual fan of this show you wouldn't have done what you have done here. Instead you would've simply ignored my comment or said you disagree with a polite possible explanation as to why. But you didn't. Now everyone can see who you are & what you are. A falsehood, a liar, a manipulator, a coward, a bully. I hope you have healthier higher aspirations than being all of that & can attain them. Otherwise, like so many, you will only weave a tapestry of fate filled with hardships & regrets with truth of blame lying solely on thyself.

11699901

A response huh? That's odd, because I would've been alerted to a response to my comment. But I didn't get one. What this is is just cowardice and manipulation.

That's absolutely rich coming from a guy who has no problem ignoring people, but talking about them in comments to others rofl

While I stand by my Punchline comparison, I'd like to make it understood that I don't think the story is actually bad. For the point its trying to make, its well-written, well-made.

I just don't like it.

*bows*

11699901
...Strong levels of "Sir, this is a Wendy's."

In any case, I agree that Hyaline should have been more explored as a character here, since he seems to emulate something without fully understanding it. (Or, like many teens, he believes he understands it better than all the adults.) And he has a point in forcing them to confront something they want to leave in the dustbin of history. Interesting one-shot, but a little flawed.

11700081
Well what's a story about holes without a few flaws?

Ocellus: But why do you have to look like that?

Hyaline: Because I look cool.

Based. 😎

Sounds like somebody needs to slap Hyaline with the harsh facts of reality. It gives off vibes of a German youth deciding to wear a swastika to me and trying to play it off as them just being 'them' or just being edgy.

Comment posted by Netap deleted Sep 20th, 2023

It bugs me that I don't get to know why Hyaline keeps his holes. I get to assume, sure, but... Could be the same reason as Ocellus, but that doesn't seem right.

Interesting take on an old trope though. Good read.

Comment posted by Baree deleted Sep 20th, 2023

11700212
I would otherwise agree if not for the fact that Changelings just *look* that way. It's not an adornment that was just their natural look and others were scared of it so they could never really get any love. If anything they were constantly prejudiced against and face hardship after hardship to the point where Chrysalis became an egomaniacal power-hungry dictator hellbent on forcing the issue. Even before the Royal Wedding changelings weren't seen as great by any means, and afterwards it was even worse - Thorax genuinely just wanted to make peace with others and was nearly exiled (in a more adult show they might've literally just killed him). As a kid's show it doesn't have the opportunity to really explore these concepts, especially within the framing of near-half hour episodes that are supposed to be primarily centered around one or more of the mane six. Not like the freedom that the comics had. And even then, Thorax as a "good" changeling (I'm using the term liberally here, forgive me) even while looking like the others. In the end they didn't need to transform their bodies to transform their hearts, and neither is a body the same as a heart. It's the heart of the matter, that matters. Ultimately I believe that the entire reason the skittlebug change took place in the first place was due to the fact the creators wanted to make it clear for kids that they were "good now" and to also make them more appealing for children who may've been terrified of the prior design.

'Cause let's face it, you know for a fact that if some adults were creeped out by some of Chrysalis' Exorcist movements (and some people I know to this day are STILL creeped out by the initial changeling design and its use of tryptophobia), then children were even WILDLY more unnerved by it - most at least.

If anything I feel this is a false equivalence fallacy, and by using this false equivalence fallacy you're still essentially doing the same thing the changelings INTENTIONALLY transformed to move away from - this type of prejudice.

Edit: And to top it off, if you know what nazis are and were originally - capitalist fascists - then you know this is even more a false equivalence. You can't really exploit love out of others, otherwise they'll inevitably die - THEN it becomes capitalist fascism. But they can't sustain their love source since not only do the children need some level of love, but also you get less quantity and quality love by forcing your source of food to live in fear constantly.

Which, personally, I feel was a major flaw in Chrysalis' ideals from the very beginning and why she was always destined to fail. Unfortunately, MLP needed a villain and Chrysalis was the easy to pull from for something like what they had in mind. But it's also why Chrysalis will never be able to fully redeem herself without a lot of work and new experiences - because she's set in her ways of thinking and being, and too afraid to accept change and a new way of thinking and that others could have changed and been more courageous, which is ironic for a changeling.

@semillon:

Did you intend for this story to be an allegory? Because I get a particular meaning from it, and I see some of the very different meanings some of your other commenters are posting about, and I'm left wondering...what did you intend?

What moral lesson were you trying to convey?

Or was this supposed to be just a funny story about changelings?

Every time Smolcellus shows up in one of your fics I turn into a burbling pile of mush on the floor. they're so perfect that it actively hurts me. Please never stop writing them.

But yeah I gotta say I'm left wanting a little more out of this one. It's so easy to fall victim to the classic blunder of exploring deeper concepts in a speed-written contest entry. I do it every time I enter Jinglemas. I really want to spend more time with Hyaline and get to know more about how he thinks and all the questions he could pose about the way changelings are. This is great stuff, just wish there was more!

Reminds me that sometimes, children do know more than the adults. Or, rather, the children embrace the things the adults fear more than death.

It also has hints of debunking racism and appearances of people.

It was quite well written actually. You don't often find stories where the child teaches the adult.

Comment posted by Magic Man deleted Sep 20th, 2023
Login or register to comment