• Published 1st Nov 2022
  • 2,840 Views, 46 Comments

Second Flesh - Caligari87



Twilight Sparkle is still alive, and Rainbow Dash wants to know why.

  • ...
11
 46
 2,840
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 13 )

I like this version better, but I think I'm a bit confused with the "What? No. No no no!" part. Was it not what the Twilight going under expected or did she think that something had gone wrong? I assume the spell was to wake up the next version of herself and/or transfer her consciousness to it? Either way, good creepy tale overall.

11411897
Explanatory spoilers about teleportation and splicing:

There's an episode of Star Trek TNG where Commander Riker is being teleported up to the Enterprise from an abandoned planet, and the teleporter beam gets bounced around in a storm. But he makes it onto the ship okay with no ill effects and they go on their way. Several years later they return to the planet, and find Commander Riker alive, wondering why they left without him.

Each copy thinks it'll be the real one. The truth is, they both are. That's why she preemptively puts on the sleeping mask before she does the procedure, because she knows that one of her will wake up on the table and not want to be there. Read Blink by ocalhoun, which was a tangential inspiration for this.

11411977
Major spoilers for the game SOMA:

In the game basically the very same happens... twice. You discover you are actually (just?) the mind-copy of the person you initially thought you were - the guy died shortly after being mind-scanned. Halfway through the play-through you need to switch to another body/chassis/suit to continue further, and your companion happily offers to help you with the transfer. One cutscene later, just as you leave the station, you hear your own voice coming from within the (locked) room you entered before starting the transfer, demanding to be let out. Your companion explains, it is not actually a "transfer" - it is a copy process. Slightly disturbed you move on anyway.
In the finale of the game you are stuck at the bottom of the ocean, but there is the "escape capsule" containing a virtual world for you to transfer to and "live" in. So you once more do the transfer - but, aside from the capsule launching into space, nothing seems to happen. Your companion reminds you: It is not a transfer, it is a copy - and this "you" lost the coinflip - this is the you who remains stuck in the ocean and you completely lose your shit. (An short epilogue follows showing the other "you" being amazed at the virtual world etc. - the process once again worked as advertised - one you gets to escape, the other remains stuck...)

11411977
...Hot damn! That is extremely clever!

I think I liked the first ending better. It kind of implied the possibility it was a conspiracy of clones (think those two from Invincible). Basically, it implied the that TwiClone was able to create a RainbowClone that instantly conformed to her morality.

I wonder... what if Applejack doubted and tried to ask Rainbow, maybe noticed the fear in her eyes and tried to stop Twilight?

Hmm, first ending is better and overall the story had a nice Twilight Zone feel to it.

Oh, I like this. I like this very much.

Gods this is why I have a distinct fear of immortality, especially with this sci-fi feel to it. You are still you but the memories of one are stopping while the other lives. Trading lives and learning from deaths abd pain only to know the true one is to never awaken again. Oh this has got to be a favorite now because I love how sci-fi “immortality” can be so different from fantasy magic, great job!

she also did the alternate ending

11718484
Oh my god.
Oh my god
I love it!

So Twilight never bothered to ask Celestia or Luna? Because I don't think this is how the princesses do it, I mean think about it, Luna was on the moon for 1000 years, she should be dead!

Login or register to comment