• Published 11th Mar 2021
  • 3,776 Views, 73 Comments

All Hail Queen Spike - David Silver



"Long ago, this crown rested on the head of those who would rule, and still it seeks the true liege." Spike thought it looked neat and put it on. Things happened, and he's not entirely unhappy with the result. Twilight does not approve.

  • ...
21
 73
 3,776

2 - You've Gained a Sister

"Twilight? Teacher?!" The door was open. The door was always open to Twilight's castle. Smolder pushed it shut behind herself, still unlocked. "Anyone?"

Clip-clops came from around the corner as Starlight came into view. "Something wrong, Smolder? Your counselor's here to help!"

Smolder flashed a bright smile. "Hey!" Her voice was tinged with insincerity. "Not exactly the pony I was hunting for."

Starlight listed a little to the side. "Ow. Well, who are you looking for, Twilight? Why not wait until tomorrow?" Surely school would reopen, giving more chances to see the headmare.

"It's about Spike." Smolder gestured behind herself. "They're going through some... stuff... and they're counting on me to hash it out with Twilight."

Starlight leaned forward with obvious interest. "I know Twilight pretty well. Tell me and maybe I can help."

"Well..." Smolder kicked lightly at the ground. "Alright, well... you see, he... has decided he prefers being a she." She pointed up just above her head. "And her name is Spine, and she has a magic crown that I'm like 80% sure is part of the process."

Starlight slowly inclined her head. "Oh... Oh! Oh..."

"Yeah, kinda freaky, right?" Smolder threw up a hand, though her arm didn't move, hooked by her other hand so it just swiveled. "I don't--"

"--I've seen this."

"Pardon?" Smolder hiked a brow at Starlight. "You have?"

"Ah-huh, for sure." Starlight looked into the middle distance. "Party Favor, quite a stallion, but wasn't always that way... I remember when he came to me about it! 'If all ponies are equal, why can't I be what I want? Are mares and stallions not equal?!' And, let me say, I was really stumped at first."

Smolder returned with a glass of water. "I bet."

"Hey, were you listening?" Starlight glared at the dragon. "Anyway, I helped him. And now Spike's... gone the other way..." She shrugged softly. "Didn't see it coming, but what's the harm?"

"The harm is that she has a sister, and that sister is very protective, and has really strong ideas of right and wrong and this, in her eyes, falls in the wrong camp and I don't want Spine to... She's right behind me, isn't she?" Smolder peered over her shoulder to see Twilight, a quill in her magic, hanging limply. "Hey, teach."

"He took the--"

"--She," interrupted Starlight with an innocent smile.

Twilight's brows fell in a severe frown. "Their mind may be being influenced by the artifact on their head. How do I take anything they say with it on at face value?"

Starlight inclined her head. "Don't mean to propose wild ideas, but if this is what she wants to be, first accept that it's a possiblity, then approach her, like a big sister, which you are, and let them explore it, even if it means taking the crown off a moment, respectfully."

Twilight squinted at her once-student. "When did you become a font of advice?"

"I learned from the best," Starlight sang out with a smug expression. "Smolder, I think I got this."

"I think you do." Her shoulders lifted. "Huh, goes to show I shoulda tried you in the first place."

"What are counselors for?" Starlight rolled her eyes dramatically. "Now where is... Spine was it? That's a cute name."

"It's not cute!" Twilight clopped a hoof on the ground before flopping to her haunches. "This is... almost certainly the thing on their head."

"But it might not be." Starlight shrugged softly. "And even if it is, they will remember if you were on their side, or if you just shouted at them a lot."

The door closed behind Twilight, Smolder making good her escape. "Oops." Starlight nodded at the closed door. "There goes our best lead on where they're hiding."


Spine knocked lightly on the door. "Come in," sang a familiar voice from beyond it.

She cleared her throat and dusted herself, making sure her skirt was in place, not that she was absolutely sure what a skirt out of place looked like. "You got this," she whispered to herself before throwing the door open. "Rarity!"

"Creature I don't know!" she shot back, matching the smile. "Hello there, Darling. What can I do for you today?"

Spine blinked and burst into a fit of giggles. "It's me, Spine." She hiked a thumb at herself. "Little dragon, helps you with fashion... basically all the time?"

"Spike?" Rarity inclined her head. "You're trying to pull one over on me. This isn't the first time a dragon came claiming to be involved with Spike who turned out to be--"

"--No, really! Ask me something only Spike would know," she flailed her hands in the air, nervous grin worn.

"A test?" Rarity pushed a pin into the dress she was working on. "You're either quite the confident dragon..." She was quiet a moment, sewing silently. "Very well. What first attracted you towards me?"

Spine lit up a bright red. "Oh, um..." Her eyes went to Rarity's curly mane. "It's still pretty amazing."

"What would that be?" Her lips curled into a bit of a smirk, watching Spine out of the corner of her vision. "Be specific, or I'll have to assume you're making things up."

"Your mane!" Spine squeaked out, slapping her hands over her face at almost the same instant as if to keep the words from escaping, but failing. "The way your mane... It's... I really like it."

"My mane is fabulous, there can be little doubt." Rarity set her sewing supplies aside and turned to Spine. "But that doesn't even start to explain how my Spikey-Wikey became a..." Her eyes darted up and down Spine. "I'm no expert on dragons, but you appear, and sound, like a mare. Am I wrong?"

"Um, nope?" She inclined her head a bit, leading into a full body swirl. "I'm a girl, and my name's Spine. Nice to meet you, again. I'm still me, promise!"

"I... see?" She approached, her magic felt as she took hold of Spine's face and began to turn it left and right. "Spine, was it?" She chortled softly in her dainty way. "A lovely name for the purpose. You seem... larger?"

"I am!" She swatted at the magic and was able to back up a step. "Look at me." She gestured over herself. "I was hoping you could help me. I'm, uh, not an expert at girl stuff, but you? You totally are."

Rarity raised a hoof to titter into. "Well, I can't argue with that logic, darling. But there are few ponies, or dragons, that can keep up with me, and I feel there are a few things we should touch on before we even consider approaching that."

"Not to distract..." Spine worried her fingers among themselves. "You seem... alright with this. Everycreature else acted like it was this big... awkward... thing. You're not. I'm not complaining! But... why?"

"You are still my Spi--ney..." She paused, considering. "Shiney, yes. Shiny Spiny!" She looked quite proud of her work. "Though I must confess this puts you out of the running, dear. I'm on the market for a strapping stallion, which you are... decidedly not. No offense, dear. You're still a treasure of a friend." She nodded softly, seeming so confident in her logic. "That is quite a fashion statement, if I may add." Her eyes were on Spine's crown.

Spine's eyes darted up to it, only to fall back to Rarity. "Wait, you knew?"

"Darling, I would need to be blind not to." She rolled her eyes dramatically, her magic snatching a pin and poking it into the dress she had been working on. "But if you're a lady dragon, our stars are not meant to be in that fashion."

Spine's finger curled and uncurled as her tongue worked silently a moment. "That just... I have so many questions! Wait... Wait wait... I mean... I'm a girl. I already figured... Girls don't..."

Rarity got out a little aborted cough, looking over her shoulder at Spine. "You're still... settling in, dear, but allow me to dispel that myth. For every pony, there is another, if they wish. That may be a stallion or a mare, or something else entirely, and what they are makes little difference." Rarity resumed her alteration work. "Don't get me wrong, most stallions prefer mares, and most mares prefer stallions, but just because it's the most popular thing doesn't mean it's the only thing, dear." She fluttered her lashes at Spine. "Why, you may decide you prefer a lady's company. It just won't be me, I'm afraid, though I do hope for the absolute best for my Shiny Spiny."

After all that... she had been shot down. Part of her heart ached, but... It wasn't the end. It was confusing, not being as torn apart as she felt she should have been. "Thanks," she weakly got out, trying to sort herself. "So, uh... About being a girl?"

"You're already on the right track." Her magic flipped Spine's new skirt and tugged at her shirt. "Looking sharp! Oh, dear, if you let me finish this one." She pointed at the article she was already working on. "I'd love to make you something that really brings out your charms."

Spine's cheeks warmed, imagining all sorts of frilly things. "That sounds... kinda cool actually, but I more meant, you know... being girly."

"Spine, dear, a hint." She stuck the pin in quite pointedly. "'Girly' is just an idea guys came up with. A mare will behave in the manner they see fit." She flicked her mane. "Now, me? I go for high station. You'd be surprised how little that varies between mare and stallion, come to think." She raised a hoof to her chin for just a moment before it came down and she resumed her work. "You're a darling little dork, and I can't imagine that suddenly changed, nor should it. You're a perfectly lovely Spine just how you are."

"But you'd never--"

"--You're not me," she interrupted. "Nor will you try to walk the same circles I do. Don't try to be me, darling. There's barely room for one." Spine jumped as something touched her nose. Oh, it was Rarity, touching nose to nose. "I'm still your friend, don't forget that. Speaking of that, I do hope you'll still be available to help. I do favor your input, Spine dear."

"Y-yeah," she stammered out, heading for the door. "Take care, alright?" She didn't get far, thumping into another pony on the way out. "Sorr--" The words faltered, realizing who it was. She clutched for her crown in a panic and scurried away from Twilight.

"I'm sorry."

Spine blinked at her words. "Sorry for...?"

She gestured over Spine's form. "How I acted, to you, about... this..." She waved that hoof up and down. "I don't understand it, even a little... But you're still my... sibling, and I'm not ready to set that aside."

Spine's fingers trailed away from her crown. "So... I can keep it?"

"I want you to be sure you want to keep it." She inclined her head. "And if you decide you're happier like that... then I get to get used to it." She smiled awkwardly. "Just... work with me a little to be sure it's not a strange artifact warping your mind."

"I'm not evil," Spine grunted eyes half-closing in a flat expression.

"I never said you were." She raised a hoof to poke Spine in the belly. "But there's a lot of other things. I just want to be sure this is you, and not that crown talking. If this is what you want, then it's... my job, as a sister, to help you."

Spine glanced up at the crown. Twilight hadn't said to take it off, but the meaning was clear enough. "You promise you won't snatch it away and try to hide it again or just melt it in a fire or lock it in a vault?"

"You've been thinking about this," she laughed out, moving in beside Spine. "Tonight, I'll make dinner, and we can talk about this, like adults."

"Like adults, yeah..."

Spine had a decision to make, but it would be made.

Author's Note:

And fin. Which way will Spike/Spine decide? You get to make your own decision, though you're welcome to share it in the comments.

Comments ( 37 )

10718553

This community looking at something mostly meant for children and taking it way too seriously!? We would never! 👀

...

But seriously, the whole crown/Bowsette meme (for many people) ended up having a certain trans subtext, which permeates this fiction as well. And I would go further: in this day and age, I find it really difficult to read this story as anything but a trans allegory. Therefore, it is only natural that bit will hit close to home for some people while making others a bit uncomfortable... or both, as it is not a simple topic.

that said, I really liked the fic! I found it light, but respectful. It captures Twilight self-righteousness well (as seen e.g. in Starlight and Trixie's first episode together), but also her love for Spike. And I can see Ponyville being a mostly accepting place (if the only unusual thing that happened that day was for Spike to wear the crown, that would be a very unremarkable day :rainbowlaugh:). Also, I really liked Rarity in this one!

Regarding the topic of the crown's "influence"... It is left a bit ambiguous. Personally, I read the subtext of the fic as something like... Spike never really thought about "gender", but then tried on the crown (which in the metaphor would be something typically "feminine", like a dress or some lipstick, idk), and he really liked it. There aren't many contextual clues pointing to the crown's influence, besides Twilight's suspicion.

P.S. Also, I wrote the rest of this comment without realizing that David Silver is the author of Blueblooded Bluebell, a beautiful fic about the topic. That's not a confirmation of what this fic is about, but there is certainly a pattern right there :rainbowlaugh:

"Spine, dear, a hint." She stuck the pin in quite pointedly. "'Girly' is just an idea guys came up with. A mare will behave in the manner they see fit."

I really need to hear Rainbow's input on this.

10762685
More that someone knew I could write such a story and asked me to take a crack at this silly meme, but in me style. I hope I did well!

An overall great story with a heartwarming ending and message, awesome job :twilightsmile:

this journey was short but fantastic

Comment posted by Late_Night deleted Apr 10th, 2021

I say let him stay a woman, and have Ember really surprised by this, and more than a bit interested in getting to know Spine.

10762984
Actually, I had another thought. Have Garble see Spine and fall for her. :rainbowlaugh:

10762969

hate to be that guy

Then don't.

Comment posted by Late_Night deleted Apr 10th, 2021

... very hamfisted.

10762969
Maybe you should examine why it bothers you to see trans content.

Because it sure as hell not because it's "forced". If that was the case then you'd have no complaints here. Not surprising you'd reach for the talking points, but you actually can't say that the topic was a "hackneyed insertion" or "forced into this story by a committee who wanted to earn wokeness points" or whatever because this is a fanfic. There is a rhyme, a reason, and a place for transgenderism or absolutely anything else the author desires because they have sole creative control. Furthermore, the fact that this fic is getting attention and is being featured means that there is a market for it. It's on the front page because people clicked on it and read it.

So what's the problem? What's the valid criticism that you've got? If you don't desire this content then don't read it. I don't like a lot of stuff on this website, but I know it's not for me so I just go elsewhere. You can try to twist words and language all you want, but fact is: you didn't leave, you complained, because, evidently, the problem for you is that it exists at all.

Comment posted by Late_Night deleted Apr 10th, 2021

10763247
I don't have to assume jack, I'm learning so much about you:

how i read to escape the real world, not have elements of it shoved in my face

"All fiction is written for me. If somebody writes something that doesn't suit my tastes, they've failed as a writer."

transgenderism would abso-fuckmothering-lutely NOT be the same in their reality as it is in ours

"The author can't portray the setting the way they want because it conflicts with the way I want the setting to be portrayed."

it almost feels like an insult to the show and the character to do this to canon.

Careful, you're real close to tipping your hand.

you're just looking for an excuse to hate me, as everyone does.

You've got a victim complex.

Seriously, the common thread among all of these is that you think you're the center of the universe. But 'not for you' isn't the same as 'against you'.

Comment posted by Late_Night deleted Apr 10th, 2021

10763302
I'm the one intolerant of other people's tastes? I've never commanded you to start enjoying or not enjoying anything. You're the one who commented on this fic complaining about its contents. And complaining is the right word, not criticism. Criticism would be constructive. Criticism would give feedback on how the author may express their ideas better, not say that those ideas shouldn't have been expressed.
And I am treating you like you're potentially dishonest because it's the most reasonable strategy to deal with people who say inflammatory shit. Every goddamn nazi, conspiracist, and bigot on the internet backpedals and denies until we inevitably reveal their true intentions. They're all cowards who can't own their own opinions. So if you want me not to think of you a transphobe you oughta prove it. Because if I said something like "all black people are really stupid", I'd have no right to get mad at anyone for assuming me a racist, even if I actually was trying to express that there was systemic disenfranchisement in the educational system or somesuch.
One classic dishonest move is to simply say that your opponent is misinterpreting you or is wrong, without actually trying to clear up what you meant. How is it reductive when you, practically verbatim, said that your first criticism is that there are elements of the real world in the story? And it's honestly hysterical that you called your second complaint poignant, but not as funny as you proceeding to completely reiterate yourself. Because in essence, you're still saying the author should change the setting. The author didn't make trans angle reflect the real world on accident, it was a choice they made.
Every story will reflect the real world to some degree or another because it's derivative thereof. The goal isn't to make the fantasy world as utterly foreign and unapproachable as possible. Otherwise, why stop there? There are so many unoriginal real-world institutions left implicitly unchallenged by the story. Like the fact that they're carbon-based life-forms that live in a society with a government and money. Instead, the story should be about non-sentient polygons in a void that interact with each other by occasionally releasing streams of radiation.

10763302
Just leaning in to note that I've seen zero insults thrown your way... but a lot of reactions to those not-there insults.

Edit: Oops, well, now there's some.

10763356

Instead, the story should be about non-sentient polygons in a void that interact with each other by occasionally releasing streams of radiation.

I'm available for hire. Your dream could be written!

I am a little on the fence about the idea of Spike’s transition, simple for the fact that it is an item that is doing the changing. So though I like you’ve left if you readers choice, I do somewhat wish we got to explore a bit of the aftermath to see how Spike feels after the Crown is removed, could be a fun delve into the character.

That said, all the characterisation this is on point. Starlight being Twilight’s voice of reason it very nice to see and Rarity’s bits with Spike were just adorable. Also fun to see those two interact and I love Rarity’s advice about how there’s no one way to being a girl. Great work

10763425
Thank you kindly. I would have gladly pushed on, but the commissioner only commissioned so many words and we've reached them. I just hope I ended things elegantly for the words I had to play with.

10763473
Yeah i can understand that, and you did a great job with your limitations. Keep up to good work

10763508
If you want another story with the same theme that IS going on into greater details and aftermaths,

TBlueblooded Bluebell
That Prince Blueblood treats mares terribly. Luna takes matters into her own hoof to teach him a lesson, but it is she that learns something instead.
David Silver · 151k words  ·  552  62 · 9.4k views
Comment posted by Late_Night deleted Apr 10th, 2021

10763859
you use light theme?
b r u h

10763705
From the first comment I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt as someone merely regurgitating horrible arguments I've heard before, but everything you've said subsequently has convinced me that you are a bad-faith actor.

there's your true colors. just because i don't mindlessly consume, i'm a nazi, a conspiracist, a bigot. the concept of personal differences must be alien to you, huh?

I'll start with this because it's honestly the most telling. I said that I don't give people the benefit of the doubt on the internet because people on the internet lie all the time. But you saw the word nazi and immediately went with the classic: "oH sO yOu'Re SaYiNg I'm A nAzI".

really? you berating me for having different tastes isn't a subtle command to enjoy this?

I've never berated you for your tastes because I, by and large, don't know what they are, and frankly, I don't care because it's immaterial. For example: I don't like the prevalence of fanfics on this site which involves somebody putting on a costume at a convention and then being transported to Equestria as the subject of that costume. But you know what I do when I come across one of those fics? Nothing. Not only because it would be pointless, but I just don't have any amount of motivation in my heart to complain to the authors of those stories about their choice of a premise. Writing is about execution not premise, after all. Which begs the question of what's motivating you to leave that comment?
You're dancing around what I'm calling you out for: You told the author not to write what they wanted to write about. You're avoiding mentioning that you originally stated that 'transgenderism is a hackneyed insertion' when the author was at full discretion on how they wanted to write their story.
I'm not gonna let you distract from the fact that your original comment didn't make any sense as something written from the perspective of someone concerned with originality.

>10763865
i told you i'd delete everything i posted here if you replied
now if you'll excuse me, i believe i've wasted enough time here. i'm going to go enjoy myself elsewhere.

10763865
I apologize on their behalf. I don't write stories for people to have a bad time. You tried your best.

Well, good story... Maybe you should make two chapters with both option, and a third surprise chapter as the parasite crown hiss at Twilight while searching for another host while making a lair full of eggs that turn into super crown better forget about the last thing

"You are still my Spi--ney..." She paused, considering. "Shiney, yes. Shiny Spiny!"

Yeah, "Spiny Whiny" is not what Rarity's going for.

Lovely stuff on all fronts... aside from the comment section, but it's not like you have any control there. This isn't the first time I've seen the Super Crown meme lead to introspection regarding gender identity, but it handles the subject matter quite nicely. Thank you for it.

10766812
That was exactly my thought as I did those lines.

10762993
yea we need to read that :rainbowlaugh:

Nice story.

Nor will you try to walk the same circles I do.

Man, nobody gets Spike. He doesn't have to try to walk in those circles--he was born in them. He literally grew up in Celestia's court, rubbing elbow to fetlock with Canterlot's elite. On a whim, he used his connections to get Hoity freaking Toity to come to some ponydunk town for a fashion show by a nopony. Twice. His long association with Twilight keeps him well grounded, but when it comes down to it, everypony who's any pony knows Spike.

my god I thought this was gonna be a happy go lucky funny skit of a story but nah it decided to punch me like a freight train, this story definitely needs to be expanded upon

Login or register to comment