• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,960 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,960

PreviousChapters
Ch 18 - The Trials - Shield and Sword, Hand and Voice

The trail back from the hotspring was longer than it was earlier. At least, that’s what Sunset felt.

Despite the fall season, parts of the garden were still green and verdant. Roseluck explained that she’d enchanted those areas so that they mimicked the conditions where the plants came from, including their temperature. Sunset’s inner arcanist had a thousand questions.

Questions she left unasked.

Roseluck suggested they return by foot over flight. In her words, 'The walk will do you some good. It’ll give you time to get your thoughts in order before we meet the others'. Initially, Sunset agreed.

Now, she began to regret the decision.

She couldn’t shine a light on why. It could be the uncertainty, not knowing how the others might respond to her decision. It could have been the looming, eventual apology she owed her friends. It could have been the sinking realization that, with her choice, she had willingly placed not only herself, but Philomena in danger. It could have been her... 'discussion' with Dawn Wings.

It could have been any number of things.

Whatever the reason, Sunset’s thoughts threatened to erupt into a wildfire. Philomena’s presence was the only thing keeping her in check. Had she made the right choice? She was sure she had at the time. Could she change her mind?

No, she didn’t want to do that.

She'd carve a path through the darkness, just as she did when she scraped and saved to attend the Phoenix-Rite. The same way she stood up to Sapphire and the other Heliopolan brats. She earned her place aiding Lady Inkwell. And she’d been chosen by Philomena to stand amongst the phoenix-born. She’d survived Nightcrawler’s poison and Roseluck’s purification spell.

She could do this.

She had to do this.

No matter how scared she felt.

They passed through the hedge archway to Roseluck’s manor. As they reached the main entrance, the sound of a door closing snapped her back to Nitor. Looking towards the sound, she spotted both General Sentry and Commander Spitfire standing at ease just outside the front entrance, their bondmates perched on their shoulders.

Neither of them approached. Sunset had a feeling that they were waiting for her and Roseluck. While the General was wearing his usual unreadable mask of disinterest, the Commander’s strange, barely toothy smirk put Sunset on edge. Sunset wanted nothing more than to hide behind Roselucks’ skirt when she realized the Commander was directing it at her and Philomena.

A gentle hand touched her free shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

“Let's go tell them your decision, Sunset,” Roseluck said warmly.

“Right.” Sunset took a deep breath, fortifying herself with Philomena’s reassuring sendings.

It took far too little and too much time for them to reach the others.

“Bright day, Archduchess. Little miss.” General Sentry said coldly. “You were away longer than I anticipated, so I trust your conversation was productive.”

“Yes, General Sentry, it was.” Roseluck’s tone was similarly frigid. “Sunset and I decided to walk back. She’s still recovering from the ul’muri and purification, after all.”

A pall of silence fell as the General glared her direction.

“If that’s so, I take it you had plenty of time to discuss the conditions, dangers and potential consequences of her choices. Is that right?”

“Yes, General Sentry, we did.”

“Good. And what have you chosen, little miss?”

Sunset's heart hammered the second he addressed her. Taking a deep breath, Sunset glared back at him.

“I’m staying.”

Sunset swore she could see the fire burning in his mind. He regarded her with a flat look eerily similar to the sort Raven would give. Chancing a glance at Vestian she saw a similar expression, suggesting the two were locked in sendings.

“I see. Very well then.”

Sunset was flabbergasted. She had expected to have to defend herself and her choice. Maybe get into an argument with him about how she should go back to Heliopolis rather than stay.

She hadn’t expected him to simply agree.

“That’s it? No interrogation? No demands for an explanation? Nothing? Just ‘very well then?’”

He looked down on her with a soft harumph, and the barest hint of a smirk.

“Little miss, do you think that Roseluck and Raven dictated to the Commander and myself that you were to be given this choice? We spent an hour debating, and eventually agreed on this course. You want to stay? Then you’re staying.”

Then, he leaned forward.

“But I do hope you understand that by staying, you will be giving them another opportunity to kill you.” Then his voice dropped dangerously. “Do you accept that risk?”

Sunset’s first instinct was to hide behind Roseluck, but she forced herself to resist the urge. She’d faced the ulmuri’s hallucinations and survived. If she could face that, she could face General Sentry.

“I do,” Sunset said with as much confidence as she could muster.

The two of them glared at the other for what felt like an eternity, harsh magenta boring into defiant cyan. This was a challenge, she could tell. A battle of wills, a test to see if she broke.

Suddenly, the stalemate ended, and the General's frown broke into the slightest of grins, and a measured chuckle followed.

"Well then." The General straightened, casually brushing down his jacket. "I suppose we'll just have to make certain you don't end up dead. Or worse.”

A chill ran down her spine.

“General Sentry.” Roseluck interposed herself between the two of them, glaring balefully. “‘You could have been more tactful.”

Standing back to his full height, General Sentry met Roseluck’s angry glare with his own.

“Dance around the issue as much as you like, Archduchess, but she needs to be aware of the stakes. It does her no good to shroud her from it.”

“Roseluck,” Sunset said, taking the Archduchess’s hand, “it’s okay.”

“Sunset?”

“It’s okay. I get it,” Sunset sighed. “At least he's being honest with me.”

“So, you’re not scared?” Spitfire chimed in, finally floating over to join them. “Not going to hide behind flower girl’s skirt the entire time?”

Wheeling around, Sunset’s temper began to burn white hot. She and Philomena glared at the Commander and Akari.

“Of course I’m scared,” Sunset admitted. “But that hasn’t stopped me before. If I go back to Mt. Liakeed, I toss Roseluck and her territory out after dark. So, I’m staying. Do you have a problem with that?”

To their chagrin, Spitfire’s smirk grew even wider.

“Well, I guess I misjudged you. You’re a lot braver than I thought… Sunset Shimmer.”

A sudden rockslide blocked the flow of her thoughts.

Mena, did... did she just call me by name?

Pretty sure she did.

“Sunset Shimmer? What happened to ‘emberling?’” Sunset finally managed to say as her mind worked around the obstruction.

“Didn’t I say I’d call you by name when you earned it?” Spitfire's cocky smirk grew wider, while Akari gave a soft affirmative screech. “You beat death twice in the last day: once at the tendrils of Nightcrawler, once when flower girl had to get that Chaos-sludge out of you. And you’re not running back to Heliopolis like a scared finch. Far as I’m concerned, you’ve proven yourself. For now at least.”

Sunset balked. It took her brain some moments to regather itself, but once it did…

“So you suddenly like me? You want to be friends?”

To her surprise and chagrin, Spitfire placed her hands on her hips and leaned back with a boisterous guffaw. Akari added a string of her own long, high-pitched trills. Their laughter died down, leaving Sunset and Philomena in stunned silence as Spitfire wiped tears away with her knuckle.

Like you? Friends? Oh, that’s adorable. You’re a very long way from me liking you, Shimmer, let alone being my friend,” Spitfire said, her smirk growing into a full blown toothy sneer. “I said I respected you. Big difference.”

Spitfire leaned forward at the waist, and her expression turned serious. Bringing herself closer to the pair with Akari, they dominated Sunset's attention.

“I like my sky-strikers,” Spitfire said, shocking Sunset with her monotone growl. “They’re my comrades. My friends. My family. General Sentry too. I adore the queen more than life itself. Tlatuani Tezcacoatl of the plumed serpents? I call him friend, even if we don’t see each other all that often. That snake’s the only non-phoenix-born who can really challenge me in the air anymore. Same with Lady Commander Deep Strike of the selkies. That seal-bird’s the best scraper among her kind. You? You haven’t given me any reason to like you. Could that change in the future? As it stands, probably not, but I’d be happy to be surprised.”

Standing, Spitfire looked down her nose at Sunset.

“Like I said, you’ve earned my respect. Don’t squander it.”

General Sentry cleared his throat, recapturing their attention.

“Fascinating as this was, there are other matters we need to address. First, I will need to inform Lady Inkwell of her decision. While I deal with that, Archduchess, I want you to arrange a meeting with the kirintal does. I believe the little miss has a formal apology to make.”

“Very well, General,” Roseluck said flatly. “It won’t be until tomorrow at the earliest. If she’s going to make a formal apology, I need to teach her how to do so without offering further insult.”

“So long as it gets done.” General Sentry turned to the Commander. “Spitfire, dispatch Thunderlane back to Heliopolis. I want five units of sky-strikers armed with dead-breaker weaponry here as soon as possible, as well as three more cases of osteophage gas grenades. Next, inform our current forces that security is to be tripled around the little miss any time she leaves the mesa. Finally, I want all bone-crackers ready to deploy on the walls before dark, just in case Nightcrawler decides to try his usual tactics.”

Commander Spitfire enthusiastically snapped a salute.“Yes, Sir!”

“Once everything is arranged, we will convene to determine the remaining logistics. Meet at the main dining hall an hour before sundown and we'll solidify our plans.”

Sunset watched, lost in the spectacle. She tried to wrap her head around all of it. But something felt off, in a way she couldn't explain. As if something were missing.

No, she realized. Someone was missing.

“Wait,” Sunset said, drawing everyone’s attention. “Where’s Raven?”

The General and Commander considered her impassively. To Sunset's growing unease, Roseluck glanced away. It didn't take long for unpleasant connections and theories to form. She hadn't recalled seeing Raven once since her recovery.

So where was she?

Theories became poisonous ideas that seeped into her mind. Ideas that explained the lack of Raven's presence. Ideas fed and colored by her growing resentment for the Royal Seneschal.

Philomena, sensing the turbulence, touched her mind. Sunset?

Mena, I need you to think very carefully: have you seen Raven or Dylis at all since I woke up?

I… no, I haven’t. The last time I saw my brother was when he told Roseluck what you’d been given. I think he left when I was protecting you from the ulmuri’s phantoms.

And Raven?

Not since you collapsed.

The confirmation threw more tinder onto her paranoid blaze.

Sunset barely kept the heat out of her voice as she asked, “Roseluck, where’s Raven? Why hasn’t she come to see me?”

Roseluck and General Sentry shared a quick glance.

General Sentry's next, blunt words shook her.

“Little miss, please come with me.”

Sunset blinked, then narrowed her eyes.

“Why should I go with you?” Sunset demanded incredulously.

“I'm taking you to Lady Inkwell. When we're finished, I'll deliver you to your room. Once the Archduchess has arranged things with the kirintal, she can collect you for our evening meeting.”

Sunset tried to speak, only to stop when General Sentry held up an index finger. "She can’t come with us. She has other duties to attend to.”

Roseluck shifted uncomfortably. Her and Amara glanced their way, and Sunset with Philomena glanced back.

As though anticipating Roseluck's protest, he clasped his hands behind his back and spoke. "It would do Lady Inkwell good to see her up and about. Much as it would do her good to see Lady Inkwell. For more reasons than one.”

A tense silence filled the air as Sunset watched Roseluck and General Sentry stare at each other down. She hoped Roseluck would deny him. Tell him to have dreams. Because the last thing Sunset wanted was to be alone with General Sentry and Vestian for any length of time.

“Alright, General Sentry,” Roseluck sighed. “Keep her safe.”

General Sentry nodded crisply. “That goes without saying, Archduchess.”

The bottom fell out of her stomach. Roseluck didn’t seriously think that she should go with the General all by herself, did she? But she didn’t get a chance to protest.

“Sunset,” Roseluck knelt down and put a hand on her free shoulder, “go see Raven. General Sentry’s right. I think it would do her good to know you’re okay.”

“But… Roseluck…” Sunset began as she flicked her eyes between the Archduchess and the General.

“You’ll be fine. General Sentry won’t hurt you. I promise.”

Looking into those chartreuse green eyes, Sunset began to calm down. This was Roseluck.

She trusted Roseluck.

“Okay,” Sunset kept her eyes locked on Roseluck’s, a small bit of tension leaving her body at the Archduchess’s reassurance, “but only because you’re the one asking.”

“Thank you, Sunset.” Roseluck stood back up to her full height. “I’ll see you in a little bit, okay.”

“If you’re finished, we should be going,” General Sentry said as he stepped up to Sunset. “Come along, little miss.”

Then, turning on his heels, he began to walk towards the manor. With one last glance at Roseluck, Sunset jogged after.

*****
The staccato of Sunset’s footsteps was the only sound that broke the quiet as she followed General Sentry. Since entering the manor, he’d silently guided them through the labyrinth of corridors. Several times they ascended stairwells, only to descend another minutes later.

Were it not for his guidance, she'd be completely lost, something made worse by the lack of windows. It was stifling, no natural sunlight to be seen, no nature or beauty beyond the wooden walls and floors.

Looking up at the General, her body tensed. He hadn't even glanced in her direction or stopped to acknowledge her presence. Not once. And yet, every survival instinct she had told he was fully aware of exactly where she was.

That would be disconcerting on its own. His eerie silence made it worse. His footsteps barely whispered as he walked, but she couldn't tell if practice or a spell was to blame. It didn't matter either way; the General reminded her unfavorably of a large predatory cat, coiled to spring into swift, precise, and violent action at the flash of a spark.

She wasn't the only one on edge. Through their link, she sensed Philomena's unease. She tried to send her bondmate feelings of calm, safety, and encouragement, although she didn't feel those things herself.

It did nothing to distract either of them. At first she tried paying mind to the architecture, the paintings, chandeliers, carpet patterns, whatever could hold her attention. But always, it came back to the General.

She just wanted to go back to her room and smolder. Or read. Or practice her runes. Or dances. Or look for Lily and Daisy so she could apologize.

Anything but this.

After descending yet another staircase, she’d had enough.

“How long is this going to take?” Sunset demanded, violently breaking the silence. “Where are we going?”

Sunset, this is a bad idea, Philomena sent.

Maybe… but I can’t take this anymore.

Stopping, General Sentry looked over his shoulder.

“We’re going to see Lady Inkwell, little miss.”

“I know that. But why is it taking so long?” Sunset demanded. “And why didn’t Raven come to see me?”

“She couldn’t.”

“Couldn’t. Or wouldn’t?” Sunset growled in frustration at General Sentry’s response.

“Couldn’t.”

“Why not? Did she have more important things to do than visit me?”

The moment the words left her lips, she knew she'd made a mistake. The realization solidified as General Sentry turned to face her, as slow and imposing as a mountain.

“She couldn't," he repeated, scowling. His voice remained cold and detached, yet the weight of his authoritative aura erupted outward. The aura slammed into her like a thousand angry, glaring eyes pressing in on all sides, "because she is recovering from injuries she sustained saving your life.”

Sunset's eyes widened. "What?"

“Lady Inkwell was injured saving your life.”

"She- she got hurt? Saving me?" Sunset asked. Philomena's own confusion and worry bled through their bond, amplifying her own.

He’s lying. He has to be, Sunset sent. Raven’s Queen Celestia’s Seneschal. She survived the Splintering. Helped found and guided Solaria from its birth. She… she’s the most powerful sun-gazer alive. She can’t get hurt!

I… I can’t believe it either, Philomena sent. But… my brother was okay, so she couldn’t be hurt too badly, right?

“Yes, she did. And against my advice, I might add.” General Sentry’s voice pulled Sunset out of her sendings.

“How did she get hurt?”

“That’s classified.”

“But…”

“That is not for you to know.” His authoritative aura pressed in on her even harder, the phantom glares growing more intense even as his voice remained the same. “Not even the Archduchess or Commander Spitfire have clearance for that information.”

Roseluck can’t know? Philomena sent.

I… that doesn’t make sense. Sunset was incredulous. Roseluck’s an Archduchess!

“All you need to know is that she nearly died saving you, so try to show some gratitude.”

Died!? Sunset sent with dismay, while saying, “But, why would she do that?”

“Risk her life?”

“Yes.”

A deeper frown creased his face. He took a step forward. She took a step back. The menace around him grew dangerous, impenetrable, even as his authoritative aura faded away.

“How much do you know about Raven Inkwell, little miss? How much do you really know about her? Not Lady Inkwell, Sceneshal of Queen Celestia, but Raven Inkwell the sun-gazer.”

An awkward moment passed as Sunset rolled General Sentry’s unexpected question around in her head. Try as she might, she couldn’t really say she knew Raven. Not like she knew her oath-sisters, friends or Roseluck.

“I… I don’t know. Not much, I suppose. She told me a bit about her life from before the Splintering, but… nothing aside from that.”

“You’ve been given a priceless gift if she confided anything about her past to you. Lady Inkwell doesn’t like to talk about herself. But, allow me to give you a glimpse of the woman under the mask. She loves you. Just like she loves all of us. We’re the only family she has left. You and Philomena. Vestian and myself. Archduchess Roseluck and Amara. Commander Spitfire and Akari. We are the most important people in her life after Dylis and the queen.”

What?! Sunset sent incredulously as she took another step back, mind reeling.

Don’t yell like that! Philomena sent with a hard push.

Kneeling down, the General leaned close, his glare matching Raven's in potency.

“After nearly seven hundred years of sparring, I probably know her better than anyone aside Dylis. And I know that she carries wounds in her heart I could never comprehend, even with everything I’ve faced in the line of duty. The few times she’s spoken of Harmonia, it was a utopia that we could never comprehend even a fleeting glimpse of. And all of it was taken away by Queen Celestia’s traitorous sister. She lost everything. Her life. Her home. Her loved ones. That pain haunts her every day. So now, she holds onto those she cares about with everything she has, because she doesn’t want to fail us like she believes she failed in the Splintering.”

After a few tense moments, General Sentry rose to his feet.

“Lady Inkwell and I disagree on a great many things. We hate each other far more often than not. We have for centuries. But I could count on her to fight to save my life if I needed it. Just as she knows I would do the same for her. We all would.”

Then, without another word, the general turned and continued to walk, leaving Sunset to scramble to catch up once she could force herself to think straight.

This is a trick. It has to be. Raven doesn’t care about me like that… does she? Sunset sent as she stared at the back of General Sentry’s head.

You’re asking me? Philomena sent with uncertainty.

I’m… just… how could she actually care? It’s just… she treats me like… I’ve been…what am I supposed to think!?

I don’t know, Sunset! I don’t know. Just… calm down.

How can I? If he’s telling the truth, Raven almost died to save me! Why would… I just can’t… that doesn’t make sense! She hates me!

“Get moving, little miss," the General barked, snapping them back to Nitor. "I don't want to keep her waiting."

*****

“We’re here to see Lady Inkwell,” General Sentry said firmly as he stared down the six prominence knights blocking the corridor. Despite her disdain for the General, Sunset found herself ducking behind him as she and Philomena stared warily at the knights.

“Passphrase," one knight ordered. The other three tensed, nakedly hostile. The firecaller gripped their halberd, the colauarata’s mandibles thrummed, and the plumed serpent's wings crackled with lightning.

General Sentry and Vestian spoke in unison, voices blending flawlessly. Fala tena lathechama pelame fala tathradu.

Did you understand any of that, Mena? Sunset sent as she saw the knights relax slightly.

I think there was something about the rising sun, but they were talking funny, Philomena sent back.

“You, Lord Vestian, Ladies Shimmer and Philomena may pass, General Sentry,” the lead knight said sharply as they moved aside. They did not, however, return to their normal resting stance. Instead, they all kept at the ready to spring into action.

With scarcely a nod, General Sentry walked past the knights, Sunset quickly following behind. As soon as they passed, the knights closed their line, blocking the corridor once more.

Guess he wasn’t lying, Sunset sent, glancing at the back of the general’s head, looking away quickly when Vestian glared over his shoulder. Raven really must be hurt if the prominence knights are this on guard.

Philomena sent her agreements.

As they walked, they passed more prominence knights, each pair parting only enough for both phoenix-born to pass. Every time, the knot in Sunset’s stomach grew just a little tighter, and her imagination ran wilder and wilder.

What could have happened to Raven? If it was the Cult that gave her the ulmuri, did Raven attack them to get the information, and got hurt in the process? That was a possibility. General Sentry did say that she did what she did against his advice. But Raven couldn’t lose a fight, could she? No, that wasn’t possible. Nobody could beat her. Not even the likes of the Storm King or D’compose.

Did she know a spell-dance that let her use some sort of divination, but her flame reacted violently? She had seen Raven use magic that didn’t adhere strictly to the normal limits of flame before, so it was possible. Her own flame rebelled when she’d pushed too hard while working with Bronze. But that wasn’t possible either. Raven was second only to the Queen in magical aptitude. She couldn’t have gotten hurt from something like that.

So what happened?

General Sentry cleared his throat, dredging her from the depths of churning thoughts. Focusing back on Nitor, she saw that they were now standing near what looked like just another door to one of the guest suites. At least, it would if it weren’t for the four prominence knights standing guard outside.

“We’re here to see Lady Inkwell,” General Sentry said as he folded his arms behind his back.

"Passphrase," one demanded. They and their fellows drew together into a fighting stance.

Fa[ta]ma [ma]la[che] pa[le]fa[na] ma[na]ta[le] fa[ta]lus.

Rather than speak in tandem like before, the General and Vestian alternated. First, General Sentry would speak a syllable, followed by Vestian, and back again. Together they formed a perfect, unbroken sentence, and if it weren't for their different voices Sunset would never know it was two people speaking.

That was… kinda creepy, Philomena sent as she eyed the General and Vestian warily.

It was more than kinda creepy, Mena. How in Queen Celestia’s name did they do that?

Practice?

Yes, thank you, I couldn’t figure that out myself.

You asked.

“You, Lord Vestian, and Ladies Shimmer and Philomena may pass, General Sentry,” the knight said as they and their compatriots parted, earning a nod from the General. Together, they strode onwards.

The room they entered was almost identical to Sunset’s own suite: large bed, several cabinets and a small floor table set into a depression in the corner. However, there were two stark differences between them. One was the complete lack of windows.

Second, a pair of prominence knights at the door.

And there, sitting on the pillows by the table with her back to them, was Raven.

Raven wasn't dressed in her typical clothes. Instead, she wore a simple white robe with brilliant yellow accents. Her living flame had been loosed from its bun, flowing down to the small of her back. She and Philomena found the sight uncanny, as with the elaborate wooden cane resting by Raven's side. Several long, fiery feathers peeked out from her lap, suggesting Dylis's presence.

"General Sentry," Raven said, "what do you have to report?"

Sunset's apprehension spiked, crawling from her gut to her skull. Raven always sounded firm and always in control of herself if not the situation. Now her voice wavered, reminding her too much of Granny Smith after pushing herself too hard on the orchard.

General Sentry stood at ease. "Sunset Shimmer has made her decision."

Raven didn’t immediately respond. Instead, there was the soft sound of paper on paper that Sunset recognized as a book closing and being set on the table. However, Raven didn't rise from her seat. Or even turn to face her.

“I see. And what was your decision, Sunset?”

“How did you…?” Sunset began to ask, only to stop as a soft, dry chuckled came from Raven’s direction.

“My ears work just fine. I heard you come in with the General,” Raven said. Her tone carried a hint of amusement. “So, what was your decision? Will you be returning to Mt. Liakeed?”

Sunset swallowed the lump in her throat. "No. I'm staying.”

Again, Raven went quiet, then asked, “And you understand what that will mean? Did Roseluck and General Sentry tell you the risks involved and what will be expected of you.”

“I… yes, Roseluck did.”

Her words hung in the air for a short time. Then, the rustling of fabric tickled the air. Dylis rose, hopping from Raven's lap to the table, his movements unsteady as though he'd just awoken. Once there he curled in and closed his eyes.

Raven lifted a hand, and Sunset's nerves jolted as it shook. She ran trembling, unsteady fingers under her bondmate's jaw, who offered a nuzzle and soft trill, before falling back to sleep.

Like with her voice, Sunset found the Seneschal's lethargy unnerving. That feeling doubled as Raven picked up her cane, hauling herself up with a grunt and great effort.

The whole scene was unnervingly alien. The weakness and fatigue in her every word, every movement.

This wasn’t Raven.

It couldn’t be.

And yet, it was.

“Lady Inkwell, please don’t push yourself. You’re still recovering,” General Sentry said flatly as Raven wobbled on her feet.

“I appreciate the concern, General Sentry." Raven turned to face them, and climbed the steps unsteadily. "But don't worry yourself. I'll be burning bright in another day or two.”

Sunset's unease erupted. On a surface level, Raven looked the same as she always did.

Only now, there was a sickly pallor to her skin, the nearly white light gray having gained an ashen quality. Like the vitality had been drawn out of it somehow. Her eyes, usually so strong and vibrant, looked exhausted and dull.

What happened to her? Sunset sent.

I… I don’t know, Sunset.

“Be that as it may, you’re not back to full strength yet. The more you exert yourself, the longer it will take.” General Sentry narrowed his eyes, glaring disapprovingly at Raven.

“I know, General Sentry,” Raven said. She hobbled close, balancing on her cane. “Sunset, please come here.”

With Philomena's encouragement, Sunset reluctantly walked over.

Once Sunset reached her, Raven looked down and asked, "Why do you want to stay?"

With trepidation, Sunset returned Raven's question with her own. "Is this a test?"

“No.” Raven shook her head. “We gave you the choice. I will abide by that. I just want to hear your reasons.”

Sunset felt a small bit of tension she didn’t realize she had been holding in release.

“It felt like the best choice. If I leave, I’ll be conceding to Nightcrawler and to the likes of Duchess Rich,” Sunset stood a little taller and looked Raven directly in the eyes. “If I’m going to rule the Western Territory, I have to make sure that everyone respects me. And to do that, I can’t run away.

“And… well… I just don’t want to go back yet. Not until I fix the mess I made with the kirintal. I need to make it right. If not for my sake, then Roseluck’s.”

“I see,” Raven said with a slight nod. “And how are you? After everything, I can imagine you’re still troubled.”

“I’m not great,” Sunset admitted, her chest tightening. “I… I can’t keep things straight in my head. What’s real. What was the ulmuri. Philomena and Roseluck have been helping, but it’s hard. And I’m scared about what’s going to happen next. But, I’m… not going to let it beat me.”

Sunset didn't know what might happen next. Would Raven insist she return to her room, prepare for tomorrow? Assign her reading on kirintal etiquette? Instruct her to wear her armor until they were back on Mt. Liakeed?

But she did no such thing. No demands, no lessons, not even a tepid suggestion.

Instead, she knelt down using her cane.

And pulled Sunset into a hug.

She held the back of Sunset's head, pressing their cheeks together. Sunset and Philomena both froze, bodies stiff.

It wasn't just the hug that made her freeze.

Raven felt... cold.

“Then it was worth it,” Raven said softly. Relief filled her voice as she ran her fingers gently through Sunset’s living flame. “I was afraid we…I was going to lose you. I’m glad I made it in time.”

“I…” Sunset stammered, only for her voice to fail her as she tried to comprehend what was happening, her jaw flapping open and closed uselessly.

Raven was hugging her.

Raven… was hugging her.

From her bond, she felt Philomena's confusion and disbelief. She imagined Philomena felt hers as well.

“Raven,” the words finally came, soft and meek, “what happened? How did you get hurt?”

Raven didn't respond, not immediately. She tightened the embrace, before giving her answer.

“I can’t tell you that, Sunset.”

“Why not?” Sunset asked, voice wavering. “Why can’t I know what you had to do? I… General Sentry said you could have died!”

“I very well could have, Sunset.” Raven’s voice was barely above a whisper.

“So why won’t you tell me what happened?”

“Because it’s classified. And that means that even if I wanted to tell you, I can’t. There are secrets that I have to keep for the good of Solaria.”

“General Sentry said the same thing,” Sunset pouted. “That and Roseluck doesn’t get to know either.”

“I’m afraid that’s also true. Just know that I’d do it again in a spark if it kept you safe.”

Unpleasant feelings began to swell up in Sunset’s chest as the weight of what Raven was saying began to sink in. Whatever had happened, it was something really bad. But, she couldn’t imagine what. Raven didn’t look injured, yet whatever she’d gone through left her weakened enough that she could barely walk.

Philomena pressed herself close, trilling and sending her love and support.

What’s wrong with me? Sunset sent as she finally lifted her arms and returned Raven’s hug. “I’m sorry, Raven.”

What do you mean, Sunset? Philomena's concern poured through the bond.

I thought she hated me, Sunset sent.

Raven sighed, “It’s alright, Sunset. You don’t have to apologize for anything.”

I know, Philomena sent. We both did. But, I guess we were wrong.

“But I do. I…” Sunset began to say, only to stop as Raven tightened her hug and massaged the back of her head.

“No, you really don’t. None of this was your fault, so you’re not to blame.”

“That’s not why I’m apologizing. I… I thought you hated me. I thought everything you were doing was to make me miserable,” Sunset said softly. “So, I’m sorry.”

“I told you, you don’t have anything to apologize for, Sunset,” Raven said. “But, if it makes you feel better, apology accepted.”

"Thank you," Sunset whispered.

Both phoenix-born clung tight, Sunset giving her warmth to Raven in the hope it would take the chill from her bones.

*****

Sunset walked behind the General, head bowed. She stayed silent, but inside her mind, a war raged. The four of them had left when he had insisted that Raven needed her rest, and that Sunset needed to prepare for tonight’s meeting with the others. Raven had concurred, saying that she would see Sunset again when she’d finished regaining her strength. And so, after another brief hug, Sunset and General Sentry had left.

Mena, Sunset sent nervously.

What’s wrong? The concern in Philomena’s sending helped her relax a little as she started to get her head in order.

That whole thing with Raven, it really just happened, didn’t it?

It did.

A low groan escaped from Sunset’s nose. Reaching up, she rubbed Philomena under the chin, savoring the happiness coming through their bond.

I guess… he was telling the truth then, Sunset sent, looking at the General’s back. Mena, do you think we could be wrong about him?

Confusion poured through their link. What makes you think that?

Sunset grimaced, trying to find the right ideas to explain herself.

Look, we… I was wrong about Raven. She’s been teaching me for months, but I never knew she thought of me as family. I just thought she saw me as a tool.

That’s… true, Philomena sent with a wave of uncertainty. But it’s not like she ever actually gave you any reason to think otherwise.

Glancing back the way they’d come, Sunset found herself frowning.

That’s the problem. I think she was trying to. Just in her own way.

And what’s that got to do with that pig-sniffer? Philomena sent, glaring at the back of General Sentry’s head.

Sunset stared at the man in question too, attempting to compose her thoughts.

I guess... I guess I'm starting to wonder if we were wrong about him. Vestian, too. We've been around them far less than Raven, and I was wrong about her.

Philomena ruffled her feathers, sending intense indignation back like a crashing wave.

Sunset, he beat you up! Repeatedly. And he’s friends with the Riches, Neigsay, the Prisms and the Highbloods, among who knows how many other people that want us out of the picture. I think we know what he’s like.

I know, Sunset sent. Her anger spiked as her stare swiftly morphed into a withering glare. But… this whole thing’s got me turned around. I was convinced Raven hated me, but she doesn’t. I thought nobody could understand what I went through, but Dawn Wings did. I know he’s friends with those goat-lickers, but could there be more to it? He was the one who arrested Highblood.

And admitted he was his friend. He probably did that because he had to, not because he wanted to.

Maybe.

The General's voice shocked her back to reality. “I can feel you staring, little miss. If you want to ask something, ask.”

“I…” Sunset stammered. “What makes you think I was staring?”

General Sentry stopped walking. "Old soldier's instincts." He glanced back. "You’re so unsubtle, you might as well have been screaming at the top of your lungs.”

Sunset flushed and wracked her brain for a distraction.

“I… was just wondering… um…if you’ve ever been given ulmuri?”

He fixed her with a look, just inscrutable as Raven's. Sunset wondered if he’d bought the lie she’d told, or if he was going to call her out on it.

To her surprise, he took a slow, deep breath, which he let out through his nose. Then, he turned to face her, crossing his arms over his chest. For the first time since she’d been alone with him, she could feel the threat around him abate ever so slightly. It wasn’t much, but it was palpable.

"No," he eventually said. His tone changed, and he looked towards the ceiling as a strange, distant look crossed his eyes. "I've faced far worse."

“Worse than ulmuri? What could be worse?”

General Sentry went quiet again, closing his eyes and reaching up to Vestian, who let out a soft trill and rubbed his head against the back of his hand.

“What do you know about the Smooze?”

“I… what?” Sunset’s tone was confused, her face scrunching up at his question. “What’s that got to do with it?”

“It has everything to do with it. What do you know about the Smooze?”

Screwing up her face, Sunset thought back to the legends she’d read about the Blight War. About how Hydea and her coven had unleashed an army of chaos-warped monstrosities on Solaria. The valiant defense by the phoenix-born and the old Knights of the Sun. And about Hydea’s final weapon.

“It was an abomination created by Hydea in the final days of the Blight War using Chaos-alchemy.”

To her surprise, the general closed his eyes and shook his head.

“It was much more than that, little miss. As powerful as Chaos-alchemy is, even an atrocity like Hydea couldn’t create an abomination. Not without an enormous amount of magic and vital energy. More than even she could provide without opening a gate directly to Chaos. In order to get what she needed, Hydea used her Chaos-alchemy to corrupt and merge thousands of victims into the Volcano of Gloom’s lava. That is what gave rise to the Smooze.”

Sunset's guts curled in knots. The implication of his words... She couldn't stop herself from pouring over them.

After a pang of silence, she managed to voice the terrible conclusion she’d come to.

“You mean the Smooze… was made of sun-gazers?”

General Sentry’s face warped into a cold, furious glower. “Not just sun-gazers. Plumed serpents. Colaurata. Raptorians. Changelings. Shadow-stalkers. Even animals. Hydea sacrificed tens of thousands of lives in her ritual. But that was only the beginning. Do you know what happened to its victims?”

A lump formed in her throat. Reluctantly, she replied, “They were dissolved and eaten, right?”

“That’s partially true. But they didn't die after it consumed them. It assimilated them into the gestalt. The more it spread, the more it consumed, the more victims it claimed, and the more powerful it became.”

Sunset stepped back. Hands shot to her mouth, and her wide eyes filled with tears. She tried to comprehend the magnitude of what the general was telling her, but couldn’t. She knew about the devastation the Smooze had left in its wake. The centuries of work by the earth-weavers to restore the land ravaged in its passing. But she never could have imagined something like that. Philomena’s revulsion was just as strong as her’s.

“That’s… by Celestia’s sun. How could she-?”

“That wasn’t the greatest cruelty of that witch’s creation. The minds of its victims? They remained intact, trapped in unbearable, endless agony, the tormented thoughts of every other creature in the gestalt wailing all around them. What you experienced when Roseluck purified you? Imagine a pain as terrible, but without the possibility for the release of death. And all the while, Hydea’s mind touched every creature trapped in the gestalt, he will directing the collective to attack and kill.”

Sunset felt nauseous with pure, visceral horror. She thought she knew the depths of depravity Chaos could stoop to.

But even her worst imagination couldn't conjure such evil.

“How… how do you know all that?”

“Because Hydea made me experience it.”

“She what?!”

“It was her final gamble. I had her cornered, but she managed one last hex. A hex that forced me to experience Sweet Stuff and Lettie’s final moments before the Smooze devoured them. All their fear. All their regret. All their pain. Every moment as that thing dissolved their flesh and merged them into the gestalt. All of it, driven straight into my mind like a spear,” General Sentry tapped a finger on his temple to emphasize his point. “The shock should have killed me. The only reason I survived was because Vestian pulled enough of the pain away to let me focus my thoughts. And I realized that if I didn’t win, Sweet Stuff and Lettie would be trapped in that torment forever, along with every living thing it consumed. That gave me the strength to fight off the hex and break free.”

Taking a slow, deep breath, the General composed himself.

“Knowing what so many millions of living things suffered, the only comfort I can take is that I got to cut Hydea’s head off. With her dead, the gestalt couldn’t focus, giving Queen Celestia and Lumina the opening they needed to end the thing’s misery in a baptism of true fire.”

Their stomachs heaved and coiled, trying to comprehend the magnitude of General Sentry's words.

“That’s… why don’t the legends…?” Sunset stammered.

“What good would it do to tell anyone?” General Sentry shook his head. “So many of our people lost loved ones to the Smooze. What do you think would have happened if they knew the true depths of evil Hydea inflicted on them? We were in mourning, not just for the lives and homes lost, but for Sweet Stuff and Lettie. The truth would have broken Solaria.”

An ill, uncomfortable silence filled the space between them. The two sun-gazers held one another's attention - Sunset and Philomena shaken, the General and Vestian quiet, stoic, and unreadable.

General Sentry broke the silence. His voice was flat, cutting the air like a blade. “That was but one wound I’ve suffered in my duty as Queen Celestia’s Shield and Sword. I accept that. People like us? We all end up bearing thousands of such wounds in our service to the Queen. That is our burden. We take these wounds so that Solaria can live.”

General Sentry’s brows furrowed. “You have just received the first of many in what will hopefully be centuries of life. But you survived. And I’ve no doubt you’re going to be stronger for it.”

“I don’t feel stronger,” Sunset protested meekly. “I feel scared, confused and… and angry. I don’t feel strong.”

“Don’t you? Weren’t you the one who said you wanted to prove your right to rule? Weren’t you the one who said you weren’t going to run back to Mt. Liakeed? Weren’t you the one who defied certain death twice in one day by refusing to break? That sounds like strength to me.”

“I did almost break!”

“Yet you didn’t. A lesser sun-gazer would have. But you aren’t a lesser sun-gazer. You found the strength and willpower to fight and live. And that takes courage.”

“But, I’ve… I’ve been scared out of my mind. The ulmuri’s phantoms keep-”

“Sunset Shimmer!”

The General's bellow echoed through the hall, making Sunset flinch back. She hadn’t felt him exert his presence, but the sheer authority in his voice pinned her in place. Looking up, she saw his and Vestian’s faces were tight glares of disapproval. Sunset and Philomena could do nothing but stare, as if they were mice gazing directly into the open jaws of a cragodile.

When he spoke again, his voice had returned to its usual stoic tone. Though his disapproving glare remained. “Do not confuse fearlessness and recklessness with courage. Courage… true courage… is not being without fear. Courage is doing what you need to do despite your fear. You say you’re scared? That you are plagued by phantoms? That may be true. Yet you have chosen to stay, knowing the danger it places you in, in order to prove your worth as a phoenix-born. You have chosen to fix your mistakes and better yourself despite being afraid. That is not cowardice. That is courageous. That is brave. Do not think otherwise.”

Both Sunset and Philomena stared up at the general in gobsmacked disbelief. Neither of them had ever expected praise of any kind from him, let alone encouragement. Their wonder only grew as his face softened ever so slightly, returning to his resting neutral expression.

“I believe that more than answers your question. Do you have any others you wish to ask?”

Snapping out of her stupor, Sunset shook her head. “Not right now. I’m not sure how much more I could take.”

“Very well, then we should get moving.”

“Right…” Sunset muttered, falling in step behind the General.

*****

With an exhausted sigh, Sunset flopped face first onto her bed. Philomena landed a moment later, sidling up next to her. Without looking, Sunset began to rub the back of Philomena's head. Her happiness, for Sunset, made the world just a little brighter.

Can this day just be over yet? Sunset sent with a groan.

I’ll give you an answer if you scratch a little to the left.

Lifting her head, Sunset attempted a glare. She managed less than half a glower and, sighing, shifted her hand to the spot Philomena wanted. A delighted trill and blissful sendings began as Philomena closed her eyes, and leaned into the contact

Weakly, Sunset smiled at Philomena's joy.

Well, I’m waiting, feather-butt.

For what?

Your answer.

Oh, that… nope, sorry. Still a few hours and one meeting with the others left.

Sunset groaned, shifting her hand to scratch Philomena's chin.

Dreaming darkness…

A wave of concern flooded into Sunset’s mind as Philomena walked over. to her and rubbed her head against her cheek. A cozy sigh escaped Sunset’s throat at the contact, the softness of her feathers and the smoothness of her beak making her smile grow wider. Opening their bond more fully, her feelings flowed back to Philomena.

Philomena walked closer to rest her head on the side of Sunset’s neck. Once she was settled in, Sunset draped an arm over her back, cuddling her closer.

Thank you, Mena.

Anytime.

Collecting herself, Sunset sent, What do you make of all this?

I’m just about as lost as you are, Sunset. Almost makes me wish we were doing lessons with the Queen. At least then we’d know what we were supposed to be doing.

True.

They allowed their minds to go quiet, and simply savored one another's company. It seemed so rare that they got to do that anymore.

Philomena huffed through her nose. The next week’s going to be hard, isn’t it.

It is. But, we’ll get through it. Sunset shifted. Rolling onto her back, she placed Philomena on her stomach, and stared up at the ceiling. After a moment of silence, she chuckled mirthlessly. It’s funny.

What is? Philomena sent as she shifted to get comfortable, resting her head on Sunset’s sternum.

What General Sentry said. That whole thing about wounds and courage. I never thought I’d hear something like that from him. Maybe… I think I was right. He’s not what I thought he was.

In what way? He’s a jerk.

He is. And a Heliopolan supremacist. And the biggest goat-licker I’ve ever met. But, I get the feeling there’s more to him. Somehow. I hate to admit it, but I think we got to see a little bit of the true Steel Sentry. The man under the mask. Raven too. I was wrong about her. I don’t know. All of this… I guess… I don’t know. It’s all too much.

Agreement touched Sunset’s mind. Yea, it is. But, at least we know Raven’s not out to get us.

There’s that. And… I think I understand what General Sentry was saying.

About being courageous?

Yes… that. Sunset idly stroked Philomena’s head, carefully considering her next sending. I guess by his definition, we are brave, aren’t we? At least, in some ways. And in others, we… I have been a night-loving coward.

Sunset, that’s not-

Isn’t it? There’s something I’ve been running away from. Something I’ve been too afraid to admit. This is my life now. You told me yourself. I’m not a normal sun-gazer anymore. I’m not, as General Sentry would put it, “Sunset Shimmer of Golden Tree.” I’m Sunset Shimmer, phoenix-born and future Archduchess of the Western Territory. A single tear rolled down Sunset’s cheek as she braced herself for what she was going to think next. I have to accept that, don’t I? That even if I go back to Golden Tree, I won’t be the same anymore. It won’t be the Golden Tree I knew, because I won’t be the Sunset Shimmer that left, will I?

Is that such a bad thing? You’re still Sunset Shimmer. That won’t change. Your oath-sisters still love you. So do your other friends. They love you Sunset, not your title or whether you’re a phoenix-born.

You’re probably right, Sunset admitted. Tilting her head down, she pressed her nose to Philomena's beak. But, I… we… are part of something bigger now. I can’t keep lying to myself about that. And it scares me.

I know, Sunset. It scares me too.

Gently hugging Philomena to her chest, Sunset rolled her head back. She formed tendrils with her flame, watching as she twirled them in the air. She reached down with one, and caressed her bondmate under the chin

So, if this is our lot… our future… then I’d rather face it.

Even if it’s scary? Philomena's tone was playful. Amused, Sunset gave a little snort.

Especially if it's scary. After all, we’re not cowards, are we?

A wave of contentment touched Sunset’s mind.

No, we’re not.

Author's Note:

Not really much to say with this chapter. Sunset's learning a little more about her new family. And finally starting to accept her role.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 15 )

Growth is pain. But it is growth nonetheless. This was an awesome look into that very concept.

TCC56 #2 · 2 weeks ago · · ·

Sunset really needed that talk.

Also, it's good to see both Raven and Steel giving a glimpse into who they are.

“Dance around the issue as much as you like, Archduchess, but she needs to be aware of the stakes. It does her no good to shroud her from it.”

I mean, it’s no hexproof, but shroud would at least—
Oh, never mind. :derpytongue2:

I’m… just… how could she actually care? It’s just… she treats me like… I’ve been…what am I supposed to think!?

That the world is more complicated than a child anticipated. Especially those parts of the world that have seen kingdoms rise and fall, if not in that order.

Like the vitality had been drawn out of it somehow.

Very astute of her.

And yeah, you don’t serve on the front lines for centuries without getting a few dents. Even beyond the duties of Steel’s station, the Sentries are a family of shields, and shields are made to get the crap beaten out of them so it doesn’t beat something more fragile. (Makes me wonder what Flash might be in for down the line if he decides to follow in his ancestor’s footsteps…)

Sunset crossed the Rubicon when Philomena accepted her, but only now is she truly accepting the implications. Good. A life in denial is a terrible thing, especially an immortal one. And I imagine that from the other phoenix-borns’ perspective, their bratty baby sister finally started the painful process of growing up.

Outstanding work on an emotionally intense chapter. Looking forward to more.

and Sunset learns her first truth, it is only when we reach our lowest point that we become open to the greatest change...

Sunset seems to be coming into her own, starting to see more of the Sunset from her time at the Academy again, the strong-willed and more kind-hearted side to her. Nice to see it peaking through after everything, and really looking forward to seeing that side evolve as she grows more accustomed to her position. And I wonder if she'll end up being a bit of a bridge between General Sentry and Raven, she has more in common with those two than the other Phoenix-Born in personality. All-in-all while it's not the most 'important' chapter it's probably my favorite one in a while, and that saying something considering how great every chapter's been.

Quiet a bit of revelation in this chapter. Made for good character development for our heroine.

"Life IS pain. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something."

But pain is not always bad. Pain teaches you NOT to do that again or how to be better, smarter, faster. And part that goes hand in hand with that is don't make assumptions. To be fair, I have to remember, she's still just a child at this point. But Sunset is getting there. little by little.

I quite enjoyed Spitfire in this as well. The "I respect you, but that does not mean I like you or that we are friends." But that door is open, time will tell.

Excellent chapter.

11873782
Thank you. Glad I landed it.

11873805
Kids often forget that adults are people too. People who have seen a lot more than they have.

11873993

That the world is more complicated than a child anticipated. Especially those parts of the world that have seen kingdoms rise and fall, if not in that order.

Indeed.

And yeah, you don’t serve on the front lines for centuries without getting a few dents. Even beyond the duties of Steel’s station, the Sentries are a family of shields, and shields are made to get the crap beaten out of them so it doesn’t beat something more fragile. (Makes me wonder what Flash might be in for down the line if he decides to follow in his ancestor’s footsteps…)

He will. It won't earn him any special treatment in the sun-blades though. Steel doesn't tolerate nepotism in his ranks. Even for his own flesh and blood. Whether Flash's "kind boy" personality survives, well, that's yet to be seen.

And as for Steel, the dent he told Sunset about was the deepest he suffered in the Blight War, but it wasn't the only one. Hydea unleashed the Smooze at the end of the conflict, so there was years of fighting before its arrival.

Sunset crossed the Rubicon when Philomena accepted her, but only now is she truly accepting the implications. Good. A life in denial is a terrible thing, especially an immortal one. And I imagine that from the other phoenix-borns’ perspective, their bratty baby sister finally started the painful process of growing up.

Pretty much. She's still got a long road ahead of her, but she's starting to get there.

11874223
Its a truth that's hard earned. But one she needed to get.

11874549
If not bridge, then someone who can be an arbitrator. While things aren't set in stone, Sunset's not likely to ever really be on Steel's side. He has a few fundamental beliefs, shaped by his experiences as Celestia's Shield and Sword, that are at odds with her Western Territory sub-cultural values and views. But you don't have to like someone to work with them.

Glad you enjoyed the chapter.

11874957
Then I hit the mark. I'm sure she'll have some periodic backslides, but she's on her way to becoming the phoenix-born she has the potential to be.

11875069
That's something I thoroughly believe in. Without discomfort or pain, one doesn't grow. Without failure, one doesn't appreciate triumph.

Spitfire doesn't get much in the way of page presence, so I try to make what she gets impactful. Though, it's not because I don't want to give her more. She just ends up not having much reason to interact with Sunset all that often.

I love Sentry's honesty. Tell the girl the blunt truth. She needs to face it.

God, Spit is so cool.

It's crazy that Rose still has to tell Sunset that Sentry won't hurt her.

Goodness. I must not know children very well.

I really want to see the moment when Sunset finally realizes what Sentry is trying to tell her. They are family. All of the Phoenix-born.

The Raven scene. Too much. Cried. I love your Raven so much. Such an amazing scene. Kudos Voice. I think that was my favorite scene thus far.

Really like Sentry too. I think he's right, to be honest. His stuff here just makes him even more likable.

Excellent chapter. Now if only they would come quicker...

I love Sentry's honesty. Tell the girl the blunt truth. She needs to face it.

Steel has been a father, and grandfather, and now great-grandfather. He's familiar with how sometimes, kids need to be treated like adults and told the truth.

God, Spit is so cool.

Spitfire is fun to write, no lie. She just doesn't get much page time because she rarely fits into Sunset's narrative path. I've wanted to do a set of "short side stories" about the other players in PBR, but want to finish the main story before I go there. Not to mention I still have to plan out the main story for Star-singer Reborn, which is the sister story that focuses on Selenia.

It's crazy that Rose still has to tell Sunset that Sentry won't hurt her.

Rose knows Sunset doesn't trust Steel. And its hard not to blame her: he's friends with people who hate her, he's "beaten her up" in sparring practice, and is well known for being the fourth most dangerous being in all of Solaria (Celestia>Lumina>Raven>Steel). Sunset, at this point, really has very little reason to trust him.

Glad ya enjoyed the chapter.

11877249

Rose knows Sunset doesn't trust Steel. And its hard not to blame her: he's friends with people who hate her, he's "beaten her up" in sparring practice, and is well known for being the fourth most dangerous being in all of Solaria (Celestia>Lumina>Raven>Steel). Sunset, at this point, really has very little reason to trust him.

You frame helping her by training her as "beaten her up" because it's not true. She's got an incorrect perception there. He wants her to be strong. He didn't "beat her up". He hasn't done anything to gain her trust? What about everything he's done for the nation and the queen. You'd think that would count for something as far as trust goes.

11877570
Again, we're looking at it as outsiders. When I write Sunset's perspective on Steel, I try to keep what she's experienced with him, and the aspect of Heliopolan culture he represents, in mind. And to her, that is everything unpleasant that happened to her from her initial testing in chapter 1 (where she was driven out in tears by the Heliopolans administering the exam) all the way up to her ascension. Something not helped by Rose and Raven being openly antagonistic towards him.

Now that she's getting to see him as a person, she's starting to realize that he's not the monster she thought he was. That doesn't mean she trusts him, or likes him, or even wants to be around him, because he still represents a lot of things she doesn't like. If anything, the last scene was meant to show that she's having a hard time reconciling what she thinks of him with beginning to see him as a person. She can't understand how someone who went through what he has can also be so unpleasant, not understanding that its because of what he's gone through that he holds the views he does.

Fundamentally, Steel is an antagonist. He's not a villain, but he's meant to be an opposing force to Sunset and Philomena.

11877586
I understand all that, but that is more "look, I'm telling you he's the antagonist" and less I can see he's the antagonist from what I read. You even said this ..

She can't understand how someone who went through what he has can also be so unpleasant

Nothing I've read of Sentry thus far makes me think "unpleasant". Hard? Yes. Cold? Yes. Blunt? Yes. Unpleasant? No.

It would be like saying Queen Celestia is unpleasant because of what she did to the traitors. I don't think that at all. Deserved and justice. They got what was coming to them. Sentry just appears to me like the gets done what needs to be done character, and I will never view that as an antagonist.

11877663
Be happy. All of your characters are so good they stir up passion. :heart:

Login or register to comment