• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,952 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,952

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 13 - The Trials - Clash of Swords, Cloaks and Daggers

Sunset’s mind was a flood of mixed emotions and thoughts as she watched General Sentry slowly and purposefully making his way to the center of the stadium’s field. She was happy that this was the last event of the day, yet also dreading that fact, since it meant that she had the evening’s formal dinner and “mixer” to look forward to. And that meant another round of “getting tarted up” with Roseluck, and then running the gauntlet with the Council. She was excited about what she was going to witness, yet confused as to why General Sentry was officiating the ceremony, rather than one of the Magistrates.

Because the participants weren’t sun-gazers.

They were kirintal.

Or, more specifically, the stags.

General Sentry’s appearance also struck her as odd. He wasn’t in his dress uniform, but instead he was adorned in a set of strange robes that looked as though they were made of woven vines, leaves and stones. The entire outfit was topped with a crown of blooming branches, which Sunset had to admit looked strange considering it was nestled in General Sentry’s living flame. Vestian was conspicuously absent from his bond-mate’s shoulder, instead having stayed behind on their throne.

Unlike with the previous events, the audience was silent as General Sentry sedately made his way to the center of the arena and sat, resting on his knees, lacing his hands together and placing them in his lab, and bowing his head.

“Vul’tethia cha’ma letach’ca,” General Sentry said, his voice barely audible yet breaking the silence with the impact of a cannon shot. “As the day ends, and the dusk begins, it is my distinct and great honor to officiate this event. This day, our allies to the north have given us the rare privilege of witnessing an unofficial version of one of their most sacred and private traditions.”

There was a pregnant pause as General Sentry allowed his words to hang in the air, before continuing. To her right, Sunset could see the does nodding with approval.

“Every fall, the stags of Himavanta gather at sacred Mt. Meru for the Imv’klech Vl'tanas. At this ceremony, these brave men compete to earn the privilege of siring the next generation of kirintal,” General Sentry continued, his head still bowed respectfully. “As a sign of their friendship to Queen Celestia and Solaria, Arbiter Black Jade has given twelve of his stags permission to perform one element of this ceremony. Though this will not officially count towards their standing in the true Imv’klech Vl'tanas, these stags wish to offer their battle as a gift to us as a gesture of solidarity.”

The silence was yet again pierced by the sound of the stadium’s doors opening to reveal the twelve stags. Like General Sentry, they were all clothed in long robes made of vines and stone. Striding forward, Sunset was struck by just how smooth and almost elegantly they flowed into the arena and formed a circle around General Sentry, before similarly sitting on their knees and bowing their heads.

“Vul’tethia im’all ith’talcha,” the stags all said in unison.

“Vul’tethia im’all ith’talcha,” General Sentry replied, before rising to his feet and drawing a pair of flint knives from within his robes. Then, with a single, swift motion, he threw both into the ground at the center of the circle. “As stone pierces, I swear to judge honorably, love those who fight with valor, and forgive those who may falter.”

“As stone pierces,” the stags said in reply, “we place our lives on the line to prove our worth to those that came before, those that are, and those who will be. We swear to battle with honor, to love our chat-velath as we fight, and forgive them for the blood they draw.”

All thirteen stood and doffed their robes, revealing their naked bodies, save for a loincloth to protect their modesty, with each stag also bearing a pair of stone gauntlets, each of which had a narrow obsidian blade running along the length of the underside of their forearms.

“Ith’techa lan-iltha,” General Sentry said as the stags paired off and took up positions in a hexagon around him.

*****

Sunset was finding it increasingly difficult to watch the spectacle occurring in the field below. Much of it was the sheer brutality of what she was witnessing. But, there was something else distracting her: before the beginning of the event, Raven had pulled her aside to speak with her.

“Sunset, when the stags are performing the Imv’klech Vl'tanas, I need you to watch, and consider how the stags’ fights are like politics. I’ve impressed on you how the game is a battle, not of blades, but of words. This is an opportunity for you to watch a real battle and see if you can draw any parallels.”

Sunset had started to reply, only to stop herself before the words had even formed in her mouth.

“The stags are going to spar? And that’s supposed to teach me about politics?”

Raven shook her head.

“The Imv’klech Vl'tanas is not ‘sparring,’ Sunset. Even if this isn’t a true Imv’klech Vl'tanas, the stags will be putting their lives on the line.”

“What’s that mean?”

“Sunset, every year some of the stags inevitably die.”

“Die?!”

“Yes. Even if the Imv’klech Vl'tanas has rules, success can mean everything to a stag. So they fight with everything they’ve got. And that can lead to casualties. Particularly among the younger generation.”

“And they’re okay with that?”

“They are. If anything, the risk makes those who triumph that much greater in the eyes of their fellows. And the does.”

Sunset stared at Raven, before regaining her composure and meeting eyes with the older woman.

“This is another one of your puzzles, isn’t it?”

“Indeed.”

“And you’re not going to tell me what I’m supposed to be looking for, right?”

“Sunset, you should know by now there’s no point in asking you to observe and think if I just tell you the answer. You pride yourself on your intelligence. I’m giving you the opportunity to use it.”

“I thought the festival was going to be ‘time off.’”

Sunset hadn’t thought it was possible for Raven’s expression to harden any further than it normally was. Yet somehow it did as she crossed her arms and glared.

“It was… until I learned about what happened this morning. Though I suppose you could just consider this an optional lesson if you want.”

“So I don’t have to if I don’t want to?”

Raven tapped a finger on her arm, then fixed Sunset with that infuriating, emotionless look of hers.

“Like I said, it's optional. But, the insight you gain could help you beat Duchess Rich and her allies some day. The longer these lessons take you to learn, the longer it’ll be before you can stand up to her. And that means she and her allies will have more time to make their own moves unopposed, including going after the Western Territory, if they think it would serve their purposes. Perhaps you want that?”

Raven paused, then turned to look towards the arena.

“The answer will not come to you right away. But if you want to survive, you’ll need to learn it. All I ask is that you watch, and consider. And if you decide to come up with an answer, I’ll be more than happy to hear it.”

Sunset pushed her conversation with Raven to the back of her mind as the stags began to go through some sort of pre-fight ceremony. It began with the paired off stags walking opposite one another along the perimeter of a wide circle of stones that they had summoned from the ground. At every other step, they would strike their gauntlets against the other, filling the air with a synchronous clank of stone on stone. They repeated the process until completing two full rotations around the circle. Then, they squared off, crouched low, and charged.

There was the clack of a dozen pairs of antlers impacting, and the battle was joined.

Sunset realized that what was happening in the arena was nothing like the festival fights she’d had seen in Golden Tree, or her own combat training on Mt. Liakeed. The moment they’d crossed antlers, the stags began to attempt to grapple each other, bringing their forearm blades to bear.

It wasn’t long before first blood was drawn.

Sunset thought she’d be prepared. She’d seen executions, including the horrific one inflicted on the former Duke Highblood. Yet, somehow the sight of one of the stags having his bicep sliced open had shocked her to the heart of her flame.

This wasn’t the death of a criminal.

This was violence.

True, brutal violence being inflicted on one sentient being by another.

And yet, despite suffering one laceration, puncture and impact after another, the stags kept fighting.

I don’t get it, Sunset sent as one of the stags twisted slightly to deflect an attempt by his opponent to grab him, retaliating by slashing with his gauntlet’s blade, only for his opponent to bring his other arm up and catch the sharpened edge with his own blade. She half expected the fragile obsidian to shatter from the impact, yet it remained intact. How is watching this supposed to teach me about politics?

Raven was pretty adamant that you’d get something out of it, Philomena sent as a different pair of stags wound up on the ground, the larger of the two managing to pin his opponent, though not without taking a deep cut to the leg. The pinning stag powered through the wound, managing to bring his antlers to bear and place a point against the other stag’s eye. After a moment, the other stag surrendered.

I just can’t imagine what, Sunset sent as she looked at another pair, which included the twelve-point stag that she’d seen greet General Sentry the night before.

Unlike the others, where the flow of the battles would shift, one gaining the advantage over the other, Sunset had seen the twelve-pointed stag maintain a constant advantage over his opponent, a ten-pointed stag. His movements were cleaner, more precise, and his reactions more deliberate in both attack and defense, leaving his foe growing visibly frustrated. The fight came to a sudden end when the other stag over-extended on one of his grabs. The moment he did, the larger stag deftly evaded and retaliated, raking the blade of his gauntlet across his opponent’s biceps, leaving a shallow yet vicious slash that sent the other stag reeling backwards. Before he could recover, the twelve-point magistrate had closed the distance between them, knocking aside his opponent’s defenses and landing a pair of vicious diagonal strikes, slamming the blades of his gauntlets directly onto the other stag’s clavicles.

Sunset closed her eyes and turned away as blood came rushing out of the wounds, the injured stag stumbling backwards and out of the stone circle, collapsing to the ground and breathing heavily. As soon as the other stag had fallen, the magistrate that had wounded him relaxed, crossing his forearms and bowing to his fallen opponent, before approaching the other stag and helping him to his feet.

“Can he do that?” Sunset asked Roseluck, turning to face the older woman. “Isn’t that against the rules?”

“No, Sunset, it’s not,” Roseluck replied far more calmly than Sunset had expected.

“But he could have killed him.”

“Yes, he could have. But he didn’t,” Roseluck said, indicating the victorious stag with a nod of her head. “That stag? He’s a ria’liv’chena. A master. He’s been through at least twenty Imv’klech Vl'tana at this point in his life. Maybe more. So he knows how to apply enough force to win without killing if he doesn’t want to kill.”

“But… but… he’s hurt.”

“Most of them will be hurt by the end of this,” Roseluck said as she indicated the field with a nod of her head. “But, that’s just the nature of it. Earning victory in the Imv’klech Vl'tanas is one of the most important things in a stag’s life outside their duty as defenders of Himavanata.”

That’s almost the exact same thing Raven said, Sunset groused to Philomena.

So it's probably true.

It still feels like too much just to ‘sire the next generation,’ whatever that means.

Your guess is as good as mine, Sunset.

Roseluck went silent, a subtle, odd look forming on her face as she looked down on the field.

“And, they won’t stay hurt for long. General Sentry will see to that.”

Sunset stole a look at the general, before returning her attention to Roseluck, an incredulous frown forming on her face as she did.

“Call me skeptical, but he doesn’t seem like someone who’d bother to learn renewing magic.”

“You’d be surprised then,” Roseluck said with a titter. “But he’s not going to be using renewing magic, Sunset. Watch.”

Turning her attention back to the field, Sunset saw that the last of the stags had finished their fights, and had reconvened around the general. Most of them were injured, a couple so severely that they had to be aided by their fellows, with gashes, cuts, bruises and puncture wounds staining their fur and scales red with blood. Yet, looking at them, Sunset could have sworn that they were less injured than she expected. Once the stags were in place, the general bent down and pulled the two stone daggers out of the ground, sending out two tendrils of flame to wipe the blades clean of dirt.

“Val’tethia im’ell ith’teleca,” General Sentry said, his arms tensing and his grip on the daggers tightening.

“Val’tethia im’ell ith’teleca,” the stags replied in unison.

Then, General Sentry lifted the knives.

And drove them into his pectoral muscles.

Sunset was too shocked by the display to comprehend what was happening. As much as she hated General Sentry, the sight of him carving his chest open filled her with revulsion. Especially when he didn’t remove the blades, but instead began to slowly pull them diagonally, allowing the edges to carve deeper into his body.

But as awful as what he was doing was, it paled in comparison to what she saw happening with the stags. Because as General Sentry slowly dug the blades into himself, the wounds on the stags began to knit and close up.

It wasn’t the rapid regeneration they were undergoing that made her stomach turn with terror. It came from the fact that they weren’t dancing, so they couldn’t be calling on the flame. And it wasn’t any kind of inherent regeneration, since it didn’t begin until the general began cutting himself. Which meant that they were obviously using magic of some sort.

But one that didn’t use flame.

Not… flame…

No… it can’t be… Sunset sent.

Can’t be what? What’re they doing?

Sunset didn’t answer. She couldn’t.

Because there was one kind of magic she’d read about in the cathedral’s library under Queen Celestia’s guidance that could do what she was seeing. It all added up. General Sentry wounding himself. The stags beginning to recover as he bled. How mild their wounds seemed after their fights had ended, despite how many times she’d seen them injured.

But the implications of the kirintal wielding it were beyond imagination. Not just that they carried that type of magic or what it was capable of, but who it came from.

Glancing to her left, she saw Roseluck calmly the spectacle below. She’d know for sure.

“Roseluck?” Sunset asked under her breath, her stomach twisting as Roseluck looked her way. “Are they using shadow-magic?”

For what felt like an eternity, Roseluck didn’t reply, leaving the air thick with trepidation. Closing her eyes, she let out a soft sigh before opening them and looking back towards the field. From the top of her throne, Amara let out a soft trill and shifted slightly.

“They are, Sunset.”

“But that’s the magic of The King of Monsters,” Sunset said, doing her best to keep from yelling. “Why are we allied with people that serve that beast?”

“They don’t serve him, Sunset,” Roseluck said with a slow shake of her head.

“But they use shadow-magic.”

“And the flame,” Roseluck said. “Kirintal bear both kinds of magic, Sunset. I’m surprised you didn’t learn that from Raven.”

Sunset felt her face flush with embarrassment, as she shrunk back slightly, grabbing and wringing the edge of her dress.

“I… may not have been paying attention,” Sunset admitted guiltily as she glanced up towards Raven. “But still, they have shadow-magic, so they have to be allied to him.”

“If that was true, Sunset, the raptorians and the changelings would be allied with Queen Celestia and Solaria, not be our sworn enemies,” Roseluck said, giving Sunset a sidelong look. “Let me ask you something. Do you think Queen Celestia would ever let us ally with people that serve her brother?”

Sunset began to reply, but stopped before the words formed in her throat. That was something she hadn’t considered at all..

“No… I suppose not,” Sunset slowly admitted.

“Exactly,” Roseluck said, reaching down to place her hand on Sunset’s shoulder and give her an affectionate pat. “If they were allied with him, they wouldn’t have ever been allowed into the Solar Alliance. But they were. So, they can’t be his allies, right?”

“I guess,” Sunset said, her attention turning back to the field.

General Sentry had finally pulled the stone blades out of the long gashes on his chest. Once the blades were out, all of the stags bowed to him, their wounds completely gone. Closing his eyes, General Sentry took several deep breaths, his own injuries beginning to slowly mend themselves. After a few minutes, the only trace that he’d been injured was the still wet bloodstains on his chest and knives. Sheathing the knives under his robes, he began to exit the stadium with the stags.

“It’s still scary,” Sunset admitted.

“It can be. But shadow is just another part of Harmony. Just like flame and gloaming. Any magic can be used for good or ill.”

“But it’s how the wielder uses it, not the magic itself, that makes the difference” Sunset said softly, recalling what Queen Celestia had said about the nature of the flame in her first lesson. Do you think that’s what Raven wanted me to see?

Does it relate to politics in some way? Phiomena sent, along with a feeling of warmth and support.

I don’t know. Maybe? I mean, I thought shadow magic was bad, but apparently it isn’t? Maybe the lesson is that there are things that I might think are bad at first, but turn out to not be? I thought all shadow-magic users had to serve The King of Monsters, but that isn’t true. Just like I thought all Helipolans would be night-lovers after meeting them for the first time, but it turns out there are good ones too like Redheart, Fancy, Fleur and Snowfall.

That… might be part of it, but I think it’s a stretch, Sunset. That’s not really about how the fights and the whole thing are like politics. Just shadow-magic.

Well, do you have any better ideas?

No… Philomena sent sullenly.

*****

Looking out of one of the building’s windows, Sunset glared nervously up at the sky. As she did, a mild feeling of queasiness started to form in the pit of her stomach. At her best estimate, there was less than an hour left of the Queen’s light. The thought of being outside after dark wasn’t one she cared much for, even safely ensconced in the inner ring of Rose’s Blossom. But the dread of being out under the Traitor's moon was only part of her discomfort.

Because for some twisted reason, the final event of the day, and one she’d been least looking forward to, was about to commence with the impending darkness of night just on the horizon.

Taking a deep breath, Sunset fell in line with the other phoenix-born as they walked towards the large double door leading out of the banquet hall and into the open air plaza where they were going to spend the next two hours “mingling.” Or, at least, Raven and the other adults were. Sunset suspected that she wasn’t going to be doing much other than standing around and watching.

At least she hoped she wouldn’t have to participate. As boring as it would be, she’d rather that than have to talk to any of the nobles. Though neither were really all that appealing when she could be doing something more productive with her time, like working on getting her magic back, or practicing her runes. Fire and light, she’d if she was going to wish, she’d ask to be given access to a blacksmith shop so she could work an anvil for a few hours.

Anything fun instead of having to play “pretty doll” for the goat-lickers.

Well, she supposed that not all of them were goat-lickers.

The feeling of warm feathers pressing up against the side of her head jolted Sunset out of her melancholy. Leaning into Philomena’s side, she let her feelings of gratitude flow to her bondmate. In return, the phoenix let out a soft trill, rubbing her cheek against Sunset’s temple.

Sunset felt a hand gently rest on her back and begin rubbing a small circle. She found herself relaxing a little, even managing to smile a little at Roseluck, who gave her an encouraging smile in return.

“Just stay close,” Roseluck said.

“Right,” Sunset said, her voice lacking energy.

“It’ll be over before you know it. Then we can head back to the estate to relax.”

“And do it all again tomorrow,” Sunset said with a pout.

“Little miss,” General Sentry’s voice cut in, “you’ll be doing this for most of what will hopefully be a very long life. The sooner you accept that there are things you need to do for the greater good of Solaria, the better.”

Sunset’s improving mood rapidly was doused as she looked past Roseluck and Raven to glare at the general.

“Like stabbing yourself?” Sunset asked, a cruel smile gracing her lips. “I bet it hurt.”

Much to her chagrin, the only response General Sentry gave her was a slightly quirked eyebrow as he looked down at her.

“Yes, actually,” General Sentry said. Then his voice turned grave and his expression hardened. “Of course, if you think that’s the worst pain that I, that any of us besides you, have ever endured, you have no idea the depths of torment and humiliation one can survive. Face the likes of Hydea or Nightcrawler, and you’d find cutting yourself open to maintain an alliance is nothing.”

“Save your breath, sir. The emberling’s never faced real hardship or suffering before,” Spitfire said as she scratched Akari’s chin. “If she had, she wouldn’t be such a brat about all this.”

“Spitfire, Steel, enough,” Raven said flatly. “Need I remind you that you were in her place once? She just needs time.”

“As long as she doesn’t insult our allies so blatantly again,” General Sentry said, Vestian giving Sunset and Philomena a hard glare. “But you know as well as I do that the real world’s not going to let her stay ignorant forever. The last two days have been proof enough of that.”

“I’m keenly aware of what’s at stake, Steel,” Raven said as she opened the doors to the courtyard.

“Of that, I have no delusions.”

Sunset found herself staring indignantly at Raven and Steel as they exited the building.

I hate it when they talk about me like I’m not even here, she sent as she fell in with Roseluck.

Sunset, is there any part of this you don’t hate?

Spending time with Roseluck and getting to have fun with my chat-lecti, Sunset sent after a few moments of contemplation.

Well, obviously, Philomena sent, her tone light and cheeky.

Don’t be smug. That’s Raven’s job.

No, her job’s being right.

Aren’t you supposed to be on my side? Sunset sent with a hard mental shove.

I am. But how often has she been right in the end? Philomena sent, ignoring Sunset’s little bit of retaliation.

I’m not going to dignify that with an answer.

You just did.

Sunset simply gave her bondmate a sidelong glare as a slow sigh escaped her nose.

*****

“Lady Philomena, Lady Shimmer, it is my honor and privilege to meet the both of you at last,” a green skinned, brown haired and eyed fire-caller man with a white soul gem dressed in a very fine Eastern style suit said as he bowed to Sunset. He, along with Sunset, Philomena, Roseluck and Ammara were all standing within a ring of prominence knights near one of the plaza’s grassy lawns. “Permit me to introduce myself. My name is Marquis Almond Swirl of House Prunus in Clan Amygdaloideae. I believe you’ve had the pleasure of meeting my dear niece before.”

Sunset put on the best smile she could and curtsied to the Marquis, even as her guts protested angrily, sending a feeling of nausea up her throat. One she had to fight down before replying, “The pleasure is all mine, Marquis Swirl. Though, if you’ll excuse my asking, where and when might I have met your niece? The last few months have been something of a blur.”

“Ah, forgive me, your grace. Her name is Cherry Jubilee. She was one of the innocents roped into that heretic Highblood’s blasphemous scheme.”

“Oh,” Sunset said sheepishly, before nodding. “I wouldn’t exactly say we’ve properly met, no, but I do remember her. Is she well?”

“As well as can be expected after the events of the ascension,” Marquis Swirl said with a slight nod and a dismissive wave of his hand. “She’s told me that she’s actually quite relieved at the outcome. She was worried that she’d have to abandon her house and beloved cherry trees if she was chosen.”

“She sounds a bit like my oath-sister Applejack,” Sunset said, smiling nostalgically as she thought back to her time with AJ at Sweet Apple Acres. Sunset did her best to maintain a pleasant expression as she saw the marquis’s expression shift slightly, before almost immediately returning to his pleasant default.

“This Applejack you mentioned,” he said, “I take it she grows fruits of the same name?”

“Yes, she does. Something of a family tradition since they moved to the Western territory two centuries ago.”

“Two centuries? Do you happen to know their family founder’s name?”

“Gravenstein Cider.”

“My my my,” Marquis Swirl said with a strange smile. “That’s quite interesting. Gravenstein Cider’s family are distant relatives of Clan Amygdaloideae, though they are not officially members as we branched off with the founding of the Eastern Territory. And you say she’s your sister? I suppose that would make us distant cousins as well.”

There was something in the way the marquis was looking at her that made Sunset’s hackles rise a little. Like he was making calculations in his mind. Calculations that Sunset wasn’t sure she was going to like.

“We’re not related like that. Like I said, she’s my oath-sister.”

“Oath-sister?” the marquis asked, his expression shifting to a bemused one.

“Yes,” Sunset said as she pulled up the sleeve on her left arm, pointing to a narrow burn-scar on her forearm, one she’d gained from the first oath she’d taken with her sisters. Looking at the scar, she felt a small pang of sorrow. When she’d taken the second oath, it hadn’t left a scar like the first thanks to her newly acquired immunity to heat. So unlike her sisters, she didn’t have proof of their renewed oath that she could carry with her. That thought alone made her stomach-ache worse. “Back home, we have a tradition of swearing oaths of siblinghood with those we care deeply for. This is the proof of that oath.”

“So you’re not her sister then?”

“I am. Just not by blood. But as far as we and everyone else is concerned, yes, we’re family.”

“I see,” Marquis Swirl said, his tone subtly disappointed. “It’s good to know that Gravenstein’s descendants are doing well. The next time you speak with her, please let her know that her family in the East would be interested in renewing contact. I’d be quite happy to meet some of our long lost relatives.”

“I’ll see what I can do,” Sunset said pleasantly.

“As much as I’m sure as you would enjoy continuing this conversation,” Roseluck said,subtly interposing herself between Marquis Swirl and Sunset, “that is all the time Lady Shimmer has for now.”

Sunset could have hugged Roseluck right then and there, if all of their precious “social protocols” weren’t preventing her from doing so.

“Of course, Archduchess Roseluck. Lady Philomena. Lady Shimmer. It’s been a pleasure. If you’ll excuse me,” Marquis Swirl said as he bowed once again, the prominence knights parting to allow him to exit.

Sunset waited until the marquis was out of earshot before slumping down onto one of the benches and groaning loudly, running her both hands through her living flame in frustration. He was the fifth noble she’d had to talk to in the last hour, and she was starting to run out of tinder with the whole thing.

“You’re doing good, Sunset,” Roseluck said, sitting down next to her and rubbing her back comfortingly. “I’m proud of you.”

“Can this just end already?” Sunset groaned, not bothering to lift her head out of her hands.

“I’m afraid not. We’ve still got at least another hour.”

“Dreaming darkness,” Sunset grumbled under her breath.

“Language, Sunset.”

“Sorry.”

“I understand you’re tired and frustrated. I do. But you can’t swear like that. It's not appropriate.”

“Yea, yea…” Sunset grumbled.

Roseluck silently continued to rub her back. After about a minute, she stopped, but didn’t remove her hand.

“How’s your stomach? Any better?” Roseluck asked quietly.

“No. I think something I ate really didn’t agree with me,” Sunset said.

“Would you like some tsujira?” Roseluck asked sympathetically. “It should help.”

“Sure,” Sunset said almost mechanically as she tried to manage a nod.

As Roseluck flagged down one of the servers and put in the request, Sunset began to regret saying yes to the tsujira. Truthfully, she wasn’t sure she wanted to put anything else in her stomach. The ache in her guts had begun just a little while after they’d gotten outside, and had only gotten worse since. The last time her stomach felt this awful was when Rainbow had tried to beat Pinkie in a baking competition.

With the results of said competition leaving both her and AJ unable to eat for a couple of days while they got over the food poisoning.

It was the last time any of them had let Rainbow anywhere near a kitchen.

She just couldn’t figure out what it was this time that could be causing it. If it was something she ate. For all she knew, it was just the stress finally catching up with her.

Sunset, maybe you should ask to go lay down or something, Philomena sent with a palpable sense of fear for her health.

Lifting her head, Sunset leaned it against Philomena’s side.

Raven’ll just think I’m faking it if I do. I just have to bear it, Sunset sent. Besides, I’m too stubborn to let some stupid indigestion get the better of me. Even if it’d be a great excuse to get out of this moorgaunt crap.

Well you’re right about being too stubborn.

Hi platinum, I’m silver, you’re shiny, Sunset sent with a sense of mirth.

Doesn’t make me wrong.

No, just worrying over nothing.

I really don’t believe that, Sunset, Philomena sent, a soft, concerned trill coming from her throat.

Sunset didn’t reply with anything more than a few feelings of encouragement, hoping that they would ease Philomena’s mind. To her annoyance, all they did was increase the intensity of her bondmate’s worries.

It wasn’t long before Roseluck returned with a small mug of the spicy beverage. Taking it, Sunset slowly downed its contents in one long drink, barely tasting the tea as it passed her mouth and into her rebelling stomach. To her relief, the writhing did seem to calm down. At least enough to go for the next round.

“Better?”

“Mildly,” Sunset said, getting to her feet. “I should be okay for now.”

“That’s good.” Roseluck said as she looked around the plaza. “Why don’t we find someplace a little more out of the way to sit. It should be just about time for the main show.”

“Main show?” Sunset asked as Roseluck led her to a tall cottonwood tree surrounded by benches.

Dusting one of the benches off, Roseluck took a seat, indicating to Sunset to join her. Once they were settled, she addressed the prominence knights. “Please inform anyone who wishes to speak to Sunset or myself that we’re taking a few minutes. If they are persistent, you have my permission to remove them. Non-lethally.”

“As you wish, Archduchess Roseluck,” the lead knight said with a bow. The fire-caller made a few quick hand gestures, and the remaining knights spread out to form a larger perimeter around the four of them.

“Roseluck, what in the Queen’s light are you going on about? What show?”

“Over there,” Roseluck said as she pointed with her chin to a cluster of tables. Sunset could see a few members of the Council of Light where Roseluck had indicated, including Duke and Duchess Rich, as well as Chancellor Neighsay and Ruby Prism. To her surprise, she didn’t see Amethyst Mirage or Sapphire among them, nor did she see Sapphire’s pig-sniffing cousin Blueblood. “In fact, I think it’s just about to start. Philomena, would you go with Amara? It’s probably best if Sunset and I aren’t anywhere nearby.”

Feeling the apprehension from her bondmate, Sunset sent a reassuring, Go on. I’ll be fine.

Reluctantly, Philomena hopped off Sunset’s shoulder and took to the air, following her sister as they circled around the plaza to avoid being seen, before quietly landing in one of the trees near the nobles.

“So, are you going to arrest that dreaming hag and her brat of a daughter?”

Roseluck shook her head.

“Language, Sunset. And no, nothing of the sort. However, I told a couple mutual acquaintances of ours about what happened earlier today. Lets just say they weren't very happy when they heard what she pulled,” Roseluck said with a smug smile. “So, they agreed to work with me to give her a little payback.”

“Who?”

“Borrow Philomena’s senses for a bit, and you’ll see.”

After a moment’s hesitation, she did as she was asked, sending Philomena a request to share her senses. Soon, she found herself in two places: one sitting with Roseluck, one looking down at the council from within the branches of a tree.

“So now what?”

“Now, we relax and enjoy,” Roseluck said perkily.

To Sunset’s chagrin, she still had no idea what was supposed to be looking for. At least until she saw a familiar pair of fire-callers approaching. There, arm in arm, were Duke Fancy Pants and Duchess Fleur de Lis, both wearing a very expensive looking Eastern style suit and dress, respectively. Their approach didn’t go unnoticed by the other Councilors. Especially Duchess Rich, who was now watching them with an almost imperceptible look of irritation.

Once Duke Fancy and Duchess de Lis reached the group, they bowed slightly.

“Ve’chalat, everyone. Do you mind if we join you?” Duchess de Lis asked sweetly.

There was a moment of silence as the Heliopolans shared several quick, furtive looks with one another. Sunset could have sworn that they were somehow having a silent conversation of some sort.

“Of course,” Duke Rich eventually said, moving to allow the two of them to enter the circle. “We were just discussing our plans for tomorrow.”

“Quite,” Chancellor Neighsay said. “Things have been rather interesting, have they not?”

“Indeed,” Duke Fancy said as he plucked a snifter and wine glass from a nearby server’s tray, handing the latter to his wife. “How long has it been since the last time we held a Fall Harvest Festival here?”

“Close to ten years, I imagine,” Marchioness Prism said with a bored tone, absently swirling the wine glass of golden liquid in her right hand. “Not that it’s really been worth the trip from Heliopolis so far. Frankly, the only redeeming part of this whole exercise so far is that the Easterners can make proper mead.”

The conversation soon began to drift into the sort of vapid, aimless ramblings Sunset had heard among the nobles when she’d been disguised as one of the sun-touched.

“Roseluck?” Sunset asked.

“Yes, Sunset?”

“Why exactly am I watching this? It’s just the Council talking.”

“Oh, Sunset,” Roseluck said with a sly smile, “it’s far more than that. Just be patient.”

I’d be more patient if I knew it was worthwhile, Sunset sent as she refocused on what Philomena was sharing with her.

At least you’re not stuck serving as a glorified pair of extra eyes and ears.

Sorry that you’re having to do that.

It’s fine. Philomena regarded her sister out of the corner of her eye. Amara doesn’t seem to mind, so I guess this is just something we do.

Sunset was about to respond, only to stop when she noticed a few new players on the field. Namely, a second knot of councilors had arrived at an adjacent table, including Duchesses Redheart and Snowfall Frost, both of whom were making idle conversation. Yet, from the elevated vantage Philomena was providing, Sunset could see that they were watching and listening to what was being said between the group that included Duke Fancy and Duchess de Lis.

There was also a shift in the rest of the Councilors, with both of the Riches and Chancellor Neighsay now acting slightly more guarded, while Marchioness Prism seemed unconcerned.

“So, Spoiled, I hear that you recently took an interest in Eastern glass sculptures,” Duchess de Lis said after retrieving a new glass of wine. “I must say, I am somewhat surprised by this.”

Duchess Rich’s eyes flicked over to both Duchesses Redheart and Frost, before returning to Duchess de Lis.

“In a way, I suppose,” Duchess Rich said, waving a hand dismissively. “My dear Diamond Tiara and I were out and about enjoying the festival, and she insisted on attending one of the shows. I didn’t see the harm, so I indulged her.”

“And what’d you think?” Duke Fancy asked. “ As I understand, you chose to purchase a custom statue for her, so you must’ve been impressed.”

“Not really,” Duchess Rich said with a shrug. “The sculptor had some skill. Nothing too impressive, if I’m being honest. But my dear little girl wanted one, so I got one for her. Nothing more.”

“Quite a generous act, ha’nilem,” Duchess de Lis said, taking a small drink from her wine. “I know such glass sculptures are not inexpensive, particularly when they are custom made.”

“Oh, it wasn’t that bad,” Duchess Rich said with a saccharine smile. “Truthfully, the sculptor was happy to give my daughter the statue as a gift, once he knew who she was.”

“That was quite generous of him,” Duke Fancy said, though his tone was skeptical.

“It’s true,” Duke Rich said. “The generosity shown by the people out here is always quite impressive, and refreshing. It makes business negotiations very lucrative.”

“No doubt,” Duke Fancy said with a laugh. “Still, such a gift is quite extraordinary.”

“True, chat’vela, very true,” Duchess de Lis said, goin silent for a few moments, then turning to her husband. “You know, this has all given me an idea. We have yet to decide on the theme of our next event in Photon. What do you think of inviting some Eastern glass-makers to our city?”

“Why, beloved, I think that is a marvelous idea,” Duke Fancy said, taking Duchess de Lis’s free hand in his and raising it to his lips, pressing a soft kiss on its back. “And I know one artist that must be on the list of attendees, since he has proven himself worth the time of one of our own august circle. Tell me, Duchess Rich, what was the name of the sculptor that so impressed you and your daughter?”

“Hmm, that’s tricky,” Duchess Rich said, tapping her chin. “I think it was ‘something Volcanic.’ I’m sure there’s a vendor list and schedule you could get from the Archduchess’s people if you want.”

“We’ll be sure to do so,” Duke Fancy said. “And when we have this event, I insist on having you and your daughter as guests of honor. After all, if she enjoys Eastern glass sculptures so much, it would be a shame for her to not have the opportunity to see more of them. Perhaps add a few more to her collection.”

“I’ll consider it,” Duchess Rich replied. “If things line up with my and dear Diamond’s school schedule, we might be able to attend.”

“I must agree,” Duke Rich said, placing his hand on his wife’s shoulder. “We cannot commit to something like this so far out. Especially with the uncertainty of our schedules, or Diamond’s. Businesses don’t run themselves after all, and her education is so very important. Wouldn’t you agree, Chancellor.”

“I do,” Chancellor Neighsay said with a nod.

“Oh, I am sure you can make the time,” Duchess de Lis said. “One or two afternoons in Photon are not going to bankrupt you and your ventures. Especially since your company’s sky-rails have made travel so much faster than in the old days.”

“Like I said, we may attend if our schedule permits,” Duke Rich said with slightly more force. “One does not commit to something so high profile without all of the details. I’m sure you of all people can appreciate that, Fancy.”

“I can. But my wife and I can also appreciate the value of artistic enlightenment. It's what Photon is all about, after all. And it would be so cruel to deprive such a sweet little girl of a chance to learn more about a kind of art she clearly adores. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Neither of the Riches immediately replied, though with Philomena’s superior eyesight, Sunset could see subtle lines that may have been the beginning of a frown to form on the edges of Duchess Rich’s mouth.

“We will consider it,” Duchess Rich said.

“That is all we ask,” Duchess de Lis said, before offering her arm to her husband. “Now, if you will excuse us, we have some catching up to do with my family. Vu’chalet’ca.”

“Vu’chalet’ca,” Duke Fancy said as he took his wife’s arm and exited the circle.

There was a strange, almost icy look in Marchiones Prism’s eyes as she watched the two Photoners leaving. With nearly glacial slowness, she turned towards Duchess Rich, her glare growing even colder as she regarded the other woman.

“I have to say, Spoiled, I’m surprised. Who’d have thought your daughter would have taken an interest in dirt-eater art,” Marchioness Prism drawled, swirling her mead in the wineglass. “I do hope this was a mere flight of fancy and nothing more.”

“You have nothing to fear in that regard, Ruby. If you want, we can discuss it later,” Duchess Rich said tersely. “In private.”

“I think that would be a good idea,” Marchioness Prism said as she began to walk off too, leaving Duchess Rich fuming in her wake.

Sunset untangled her senses from Philomena’s, though in doing so she found her nausea was beginning to return again, accompanied by a new, creeping sense of lightheadedness. Swallowing hard, she fought down the unpleasant feeling in her gut to manageable levels.

“Roseluck,” Sunset asked, fighting to keep the queasiness out of her voice, “what was that?”

“Exactly what you were hoping for: Duchess Rich getting her comeuppance for what she pulled with you and Master Volcanics.”

“Really? Doesn’t seem like it.”

“I know it might not. But Fancy and Fleur have put her into a fantastically difficult position.”

“In what way?”

“Well, what did they say they were going to do?”

“Roseluck, not you too,” Sunset whined, leaning back against the cottonwood and lolling her head back as another spike of lightheadedness hit her. In response, the archduchess brought her hand up to her mouth to muffle her laughter.

“Sorry,” Roseluck said with a mischievous smile, “couldn’t help myself.”

“I’m sure I’ll appreciate the joke when my head stops spinning,” Sunset said queasily. At first, she tried to smile at Roseluck, but another wave of lightheadedness hit her, forcing her to close her eyes again and lean back against the tree to avoid toppling over. Through their bond, she could feel Philomena rapidly approaching, as well as the almost crushing amount of worry she was feeling.

Sunset! Sunset! Philomena sent desperately as she landed next to her bondmate, pressing her head into Sunset’s hand and screeching frantically. Enough of this! There’s something wrong with you.

I… I’m fine.

No you’re not!

While she was reassuring Philomena, Sunset could almost feel Roseluck scrutinizing the two of them. Sunset wanted to tell Roseluck she was fine, except she couldn’t find her voice through the dizziness.

“Philomena, is Sunset sick?”

Sunset heard her partner shriek frantically, jumping up onto her lap and flapping her wings. She tried to reach up and pet the phoenix to calm her down. But the next wave of dizziness prevented her from doing so.

“How bad?”

Another round of frantic shrieks came from Philomena.

“…okay,” Roseluck said, rising to her feet and holding out her arm for Amara, “I’m going to talk with Raven and tell her I’m taking you back to my estate. You’re clearly in no condition to be out here.”

“I’m… fine…” Sunset weakly protested, only for the lightheadeness and nausea to force her to stop and take several long, deep breaths. Just as the world began to stop spinning, she heard something. It was faint. But, she knew it was there. Just off in the distance.

It was the sound of laughter.

But not just any laughter.

It was Pinkie Pie’s laughter.

Mena, did you hear that? Sunset sent as she tried to stand, only to slump back down unsteadily.

Hear what?

Pinkie Pie. I just heard her laughing.

No, I didn’t. Sunset, are you saying you did?

Sunset’s response was interrupted as a fresh wave of nausea hit her with the force of an avalanche of petroquines. Slapping her hand over her mouth, Sunset swallowed hard, trying to stop herself from retching.

“Roseluck?” Sunset called out weakly. No sooner did the words leave her mouth than the archduchess was by her side, holding her gently in her arms.

“I’m right here, Sunset,” Roseluck said urgently.

“Could you take me to the washroom? I think I’m about to puke,” Sunset whimpered as the nausea grew more intense, causing her to nearly topple over.

“Can you stand?” Roseluck asked as she took Sunset’s hands, helping her to her feet.

Sunset swayed unsteadily, but managed to stay up with Roseluck’s help. She was dimly aware of the prominence knights forming up around her and Roseluck

“I think so. What about Raven?” Sunset replied, following closely behind Roseluck, her steps unsteady.

“I sent Amara. I’m not leaving you alone,” Roseluck said, gently guiding Sunset towards the building.

Sunset was only distantly aware as they walked, her head spinning out of control as she staggered forward. Desperately, she clung to Roseluck’s hand with both of her own.

“Sunset… hey, Sunset…”

“What?” Sunset muttered as she tried to turn towards the voice she’d heard, barely managing to stay on her feet as she did. That time, it was Rainbow Dash’s voice.

“Sunset, where ya goin?”

“Applejack? Where are you?” Sunset muttered, desperately looking around to find the source of her oath-sister’s voice.

Sunset, what’s going on? What are you hearing? Philomena’s sending was like the roar of a wyvern in her head, rattling her senses.

Mena, not so loud…

“Hey Sunset!” “Sunny!” “Sugar-cube!”

“Stop it.”

“Come on Sunset, we’re right here.” “Why are you teasing us, Sunny?” “Cahn’t yah find us?”

“Shut up.”

“She’s not listening.” “Why aren’t you trying?” “She’s ahs lost as ah snake in ah wash basin.”

“Shut up!”

Sunset staggered to the side, wrenching her hands free of whoever it was that had been holding them. She could feel herself beginning to hyperventilate as she began to become even more lightheaded. Lifting a hand to her face, she tried to cover her mouth again as the nausea began to grow in intensity once more.

Only to freeze in horror at the sight before her.

Rather than healthy skin, the flesh on her hand was blackened and cracked. Before her eyes, her skin began to slough off, revealing rotted, maggot filled flesh below.

“Agh!… Aaaagh!…Aaaaaaghhh!” Sunset screamed, her voice rising in horror a she desperately shook her arm, attempting to dislodge the flesh-eating grubs. Instead, her flailing only seemed to spur them on, as they began to chew through the decaying meat, leaving only gristle covered bone behind.

“sUnseTTTT! whAt’S wrONg?” a strange voice that sounded like the gurgling of a drowning man said.

Looking in the direction of the voice, Sunset let out another horrified scream as she staggered backwards. All around her, the world had deteriorated into a dream. Black, twisted trees covered in long bone white spurs and bloodshot, unblinking eyes stared out at her from fields of writhing, fang-mawed worms. The sky, once the dark black of night, had transformed into a swirling pool of bloody reds and browns, while a giant, full moon floating ominously overhead. Looming over everything were massive structures of raw, bloody flesh and bones dripping with gore, the sound of buzzing flies filling the air with their insistent, ominous droning.

And through it all, the sound of not only her oath-sisters voices coming from all around, but those of Tender Heart and the others at the orphanage, Bronze Hammer, Mr. and Ms. Cake, and everyone else she knew from Golden Tree. Sometimes they whispered. Sometimes they shouted. But it was a constant cacophony bombarding her with demands for her to find them.

But the true terror wasn’t the ghastly trees, worm covered ground, or the relentless assault of the voices of her friends and family. But the creatures.

Each one was some sort of twisted monstrosity that she could scarcely understand. She could only see one of them clearly, but that was more than enough. It resembled some sort of light yellow, hunchbacked, bipedal beetle/mantis creature, its seething, raspberry colored head tendrils and piercing, hungry chartreuse eyes pinning her in place. Sunset could smell the creature’s hot, rotten breath as its mandibles flexed menacingly, as it extended ira raptorial claws to grab and devour her.

“NO!” Sunset screamed, forming her hair into six tendrils that she commanded to become searing hot. “Get away from me!”

The creature recoiled as Sunset’s hair lashed out, nearly striking its claw. As it retreated a few steps, letting out a low, angry moan as it did.

Sunset! Sunset! What’s happening? What are you doing!

Mena! Can’t you see the monsters? We have to get out of here and find Raven and Roseluck!

The creature hunched down, raising both of its arms as though getting ready to lunge forward and tear her apart.

“Stay back!” Sunset screamed, wildly flailing her tendrils in front of herself, causing the creature to retreat again.

Sunset! Stop! That’s Roseluck!

No it’s not!

Yes it is. Look! Philomena’s sending slammed into her mind as her bondmate forced Sunset to see through her eyes. From her own perspective, she was staring down the monstrosity in the twisted landscape. But from Philomena’s perspective in the sky, she could see both herself and Roseluck in the plaza where they’d been having the mixer. Roseluck was keeping her distance from Sunset, who was currently lashing out like a madwoman with her hair tendrils.

What? What’s going on? Roseluck?

Sunset’s attention was ripped away from Philomena’s perspective as the monster let out a blood-curdling wail and began to approach again, its venom filled mandibles and claws flexing threateningly.

“GET AWAY!” Sunset screamed, backing away from the creature and lashing out with her hair, desperate to keep the creature at bay.

The moment the creature stopped advancing, Sunset’s instincts told her that this was her chance to flee. As quickly as she could, she turned and lept into the air, taking flight in the desperate hope that she’d be able to escape by taking to the sky.

She got no more than two feet off the ground before a sudden, overwhelming sense of fatigue hit her. She tried to fight against the drowsiness that was rapidly enveloping her, knowing that if she fell asleep now, she’d be easy prey for the monsters. Yet, the comforting oblivion of sleep was so inviting. So enticing.

The last thing she knew before she gently landed on the worm covered ground and the black oblivion of slumber claimed her was the feeling of Philomena’s desperate sendings of worry for her safety.

Author's Note:

So, things have apparently gone awry. What's happening with Sunset? Who, if anyone, is responsible? How will the other phoenix-born react? Can I get back to posting more than one chapter a month? Find out next time on the next episode of Phoenix-born Rising.

Regarding the Imv’klech Vl’tanas, the entire thing is based off the autumn rutting season among many kinds of deer, which the kirintal take a lot of their inspiration from. Stags fight for the privilege to mate with the does and sire the next year's fawns. Because kirintal society is segregated by the sexes, does do not participate in any part of the competition other than to spectate and pick which stag they want from among the winners.

And as for why General Sentry tore himself open like that, its partially to show solidarity and commitment to the alliance, and partially to fill the role that would normally be filled by the older stags. Like with deer, eventually a stag becomes too old to effectively participate in the ritual. But, they still have a way to contribute to the Imv’klech Vl’tanas. Like shades, stags gain the life-energy they need to power their shadow magic through other living things being injured or killed (see here). At the end of each round, the elder stags will injure themselves in a similar manner to General Sentry, offering their own life energy to their younger fellows to aid their recovery, then draw on their own life-wells to heal. Some particularly elderly stags may even allow themselves to die in the process, giving one last gift to the others so that they can be as fit as possible to ensure the future of their people.

As for Sunset's little episode at the end, I can't tell you all how long I've been waiting to get to this. But, I felt it wouldn't have the proper impact if I jumped straight to it after her arrival at the festival. Hopefully I didn't miscalculate and wait too long. Eh, sound off in the comments.

PreviousChapters Next