• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,939 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,939

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 7 - The Choosing - Finding A Different Way to Win

Dear Applejack, Rainbow, and Pinkie,

How are you girls doing? I hope that you’re doing well, and that you’ve managed to keep Pinkie out of the “special” cider. Celestia knows how loopy she got the last time she got into it.

I wish I could tell you just how amazing Heliopolis is. I’m staying in Chromos, the city inside the corona’s ring, and it's the most breathtaking thing I’ve ever seen. There are so many wonders here, I can’t even begin to describe it all.

Sadly, it's not all sunlight and joy. Let’s just say that I’m learning really fast that there are a lot of really nasty people here. The girls that I was supposed to share a room with wanted to make me sleep in the hallway because I’m not from Heliopolis, and tried to throw me out when I told them no. Thankfully, Lady Inkwell put a stop to it, but I got in trouble too for hurting one of the girls that attacked me.

I did make a couple of new friends. Their names are Flower Wishes, but she goes by Daisy, and Lily Valley. Turns out that of all the servers that were chosen, only three of us were from outside Heliopolis. I’m not sure what to think of that.

Anyway, I have to go. Classes start in a little while. I’ll write again soon. I miss you all so much right now.

With love.

Your sister, Sunset Shimmer.

*****

Sunset’s mind was focused, her body still and her breathing slow. She was currently standing in one of the classrooms of the Academy, surrounded by the other children. They were spread out in a neat, organized grid across the open floor, each holding as still as possible, and balancing a book on the crown of their heads.

Nobody spoke.

Nobody moved.

They had been standing in place for, at Sunset’s best guess, ten minutes now, and she was starting to feel the ache in her muscles, made worse by the slight itch from the server’s uniform she was wearing. They’d been wearing the uniforms, which consisted of a sky blue, knee length, pleated skirt, white blouse with lace cascade on the neck and circular cap sleeves, and simple, black doll shoes with calf length socks topped with ribbons, for the last few days when they did their training, and Sunset still hadn’t gotten used to the things. Aside from not feeling right, the thing was itchy and uncomfortable. She’d have much prefered her regular clothes, smithing apron or forging robes. Those felt good. This, this felt like she had biting ants crawling across her skin.

Resisting the urge to squirm, Sunset kept herself focused on keeping the book balanced on her head.

The only sound in the room was the slow, staccato clack of Lady Inkwell’s high-heeled shoes as she walked between her students, inspecting them and occasionally making corrections to their posture. Currently, Lady Inkwell was to her right, walking the rows. Just knowing the royal seneschal was there drove Sunset to keep her focus.

Ever since the incident with Sapphire, Sunset had become even more determined to rise to the top of her class, partially to put Sapphire in her place, but mostly to impress Lady Inkwell. Even if she never saw the phoenix-born again after the ceremony, she wanted to make an impression on her. Show her that she was good enough to warrant being allowed to attend the rite. To pay her back for the kindness she showed when she repaired the book her oath-sisters gave her.

She wouldn’t disappoint the queen’s senechal with anything less than her best.

Looking to the head of the room, Sunset spotted Dylis, resting on one of his elaborate golden perches, glaring out over the students like a hawk inspecting a warren of hares. It was disconcerting to say the least to have the firebird watching them like that. In fact, Sunset was sure that when his eyes passed over her, his glare would intensify just a little, giving her the impression that the phoenix had it out for her somehow.

Seeing Dylis begin to look in her direction, she averted her eyes, and adjusted her posture, keeping the book balanced on her head.

It had been a week since she’d arrived, and the training had been brutal. Morning lessons consisted of readings from the manual Lady Inkwell supplied to them, and intense quizzing on the materials therein. Knowing that as an outsider to Royal Solarian decorum she was at a severe disadvantage, Sunset had knuckled down hard, and spent most of her free time studying the manual.

Sunset could feel the book on her head beginning to unbalance, and she corrected her posture, and felt it settle back in place

Afternoon lessons were just as brutal. Posture training. Applications of their morning etiquette lessons. How to properly carry a serving tray with drinks. Each setting for each stage of different meals. The difference between salad, pasta, desert and fruit forks, and where they were placed with each setting. Which type of glass was used with each type of drink, and how much was added when served.

All of it made Sunset’s head spin.

Feeling the balance of the book shifting again, she made a subtle correction to her posture, stopping it from tumbling from her head.

Now certain the book wouldn’t fall, she glanced to her right without turning her head, and spotted Daisy and Lily a couple of rows away, both balancing their own books. Sunset felt herself smiling a little on the inside at the sight of the two girls. The day after they’d introduced themselves, she’d asked if they’d be interested in bunking with her. When asked why, she’d told them about Sapphire’s little “dirt-eater” stunt, and that she was hoping that they would be willing to move in with her so she didn’t have to worry about getting stuck with another set of “pleasant” Heliopolans.

Both girls said that they’d think about it, which left Sunset worried that they might say no. But, much to her relief, they approached her at dinner to say that they’d be happy to bunk with her. They’d spoken with Lady Inkwell before Sunset began her punishment cleaning shift that night, and had been moved in the next day.

It was a great relief for Sunset, not only because she’d been worried about who Lady Inkwell might put in the room with her, but having others in the room with her helped her sleep. She never realized just how much she needed others around her when sleeping to feel safe.

And, it gave her some safety against the other students.

After word of what happened between her and Sapphire spread among the other children, several of them had flocked to her in solidarity against the “unworthy dirt-eaters”. So far, all they’d done was glare, make snide remarks, and occasionally try to mess with them when they were alone. Unlike the first time, they always made sure to avoid doing it in a way that would actually get them in trouble with one of the adults, particularly Lady Inkwell.

Though it hadn’t escalated beyond simple verbal bullying, bumping into them ‘accidentally’ or attempts at tripping them as they walked, it was persistent enough to make the non-Heliopolan girls wary. So much so that they had taken to always moving around in a group when they were between classes. Even knowing how hard Lady Inkwell would crack down on anyone who actually tried anything, the three girls weren’t willing to give them the opportunity.

Her thoughts were broken at the sharp sound of Lady Inkwell clapping her hands loudly. A sound quickly followed by the thud of several books falling. Thankfully, Sunset managed to avoid jumping at the sudden loud report, and kept her book balanced and in place.

“Disappointing.” Lady Inkwell said as she surveyed the room, “That’s enough for now everyone. Remove your books, and we’ll begin the next part of the lesson: maintaining proper posture while walking. All of you, gather on the east side of the classroom, and you will take turns walking laps with your books balanced on your head.”

Sunset reached up and grabbed the book from the top of her head, then alternated hopping up and down on her right and left legs to regain some of the feeling in the limbs. She heard a couple of venomous snickers behind her, but ignored them. All that mattered was getting her blood flowing again.

Circulation restarted, Sunset moved with the rest of the students to the east side of the room, forming into lines as directed by Lady Inkwell. Fortunately, she’d avoided ending up near Sapphire and her known goons. Unfortunately, she hadn’t managed to end up with either Daisy or Lily. It left her feeling naked and exposed, but there wasn’t anything to be done about it.

“Alright, ten lines, medium pace, far end of the room and back.” Raven said sharply, looking over her students.. “Keep those books balanced and your heads high. Anyone that dosn’t keep their book in place can look forward to an extra ten laps after class. Understood?”

“Yes Lady Inkwell!” Everyone replied in chorus.

“Good.” Lady Inkwell said with a nod. “First line, ready? Begin.”

With that, the first row of students began to walk across the length of the room. Half way across, one of the sky-runner boys lost his focus and dropped his book.

“Open Skies, you’re staying after.” Lady Inkwell said calmly. “Please go to the end of your row.”

“Yes ma’am.” The boy in question said, reluctantly picking up his book and making his way back to the far end of the room.

Once the other students in the first row made it to the far wall and back, they went around to the end of the line.

“Next in line, begin.”

The process repeated itself several times: Students walking to one end of the room and back. By the time it was Sunset’s turn, four other students had failed, and were going to be staying after for extra practice.

Finally, Sunset’s row was up. Taking a deep breath, Sunset brought her book up and balanced it on her head, before stepping into position.

“Next in line, begin.”

With careful, deliberate steps, Sunset began to make her way across the room. Unlike her first attempts at this, she found it far easier to manage. She kept her posture straight, her steps even, making subtle corrections to her posture as she strode to the other end of the hallway. She could do this. She…

Sunset’s world tilted to the side as she set her right foot down but found she suddenly had no traction on the floor and her foot slid out from under her. With painful suddenness and a startled yelp, she came crashing to the ground, barely stopping herself from face planting into the cold marble by throwing her hands out and bracing herself. The impact still sent a shock through her, and she cried out in pain at her arms, chest and forehead slammed into the ground.

For an eternity of seconds, Sunset did her best to figure out exactly what happened, but the shock of the impact left her dazed. Disoriented as she was, she could hear the riotous laughter of the other children behind her, as well as three voices call her name. She was sure she heard a few mocking words mixed into the laughter, including “klutz”, “clumsy”, and “dirt-eater”, but she was unsure if it was real.

“Quit!” She heard someone somewhere far off yell, instantly silencing the laughter.

Moments later, she felt someone land on the ground next to her, a gentle hand resting on her back. A few seconds later, two more arrived, the sound of their shoes hitting the marble echoing through her head like bass drums.

“Oh my gosh. Sunset!” A voice called out to her.

“Oh no oh no oh no!” Sunset heard another voice say.

“Be quiet, you two, and give her some space.” A familiar voice said nearby. She knew that voice. It was a safe one. “Sunset, are you okay? Can you hear me?”

“Yes.” Sunset managed to say as she pushed herself up. Fighting through the ache in her shoulders, got to her hands and knees, before turning over and sitting on the ground while propping herself up with her arms. As her eyes came back into focus, she saw Lady Inkwell kneeling above her, concern written on her face. Behind her were Daisy and Lily, both wearing fearful looks.

“That’s good.” Lady Inkwell said, before lifting her hand and holding up her ring, middle and index fingers. “How many fingers am I holding up?”

“Three.” Sunset said as she looked at Lady Inkwell’s hand.

“Good. Good.” The phoenix-born said, “What happened.”

“I slipped.” Sunset said, her head clear enough to look away in embarrassment.

“You slipped?” Lady Inkwell asked as she regarded Sunset.

“Yes, your grace. I’m sorry.” Sunset said, still unable to look at Lady Inkwell.

“Hmmm.” Was the only sound that escaped Lady Inkwell’s throat as she ran her finger across the floor where Sunset had slipped and fallen. Lifting the appendage to get a look at it, she stared at a thin, glossy film of liquid coating the tip, before rubbing her thumb and index fingers together, her brows knitting together even tighter.

Sunset was about to ask what she was looking at when her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the classroom doors opening. Moments later, Dylis flew in and landed on Lady Inwell’s shoulder, followed by a white skinned, forest green haired, ruby eyed earth weaver woman, who rushed up to Lady Inkwell.

“What’s happened?” The woman asked as she knelt down by Sunset.

“She slipped, fell and hit her head.” Lady Inkwell said, “Can you check to make sure she didn’t hurt herself too badly? Especially her head.”

“Of course, your grace.” The woman said as she scooted closer to Sunset. “Sunset, can you stand?”

Pushing herself up, Sunset got to her knees, then slowly, unsteadily got to her feet, having to brace herself by holding onto the earth-weaver’s shoulder.

“I… think so.” Sunset said as she managed to keep her balance, though she still found it hard to find traction with her right foot.

“Okay. Steady now. Take my hand, and we’ll get you checked out.” The earth-weaver said as Sunset took her hand. “Do you want me to look for anything else, your grace?”

“No, Dr. Arnica. Just make sure she’s okay and clear up any injuries she’s got.” Lady Inkwell said as she rose to her feet, and looked over her left shoulder at the assembled children, a few of whom shrunk down at her and Dylis’s glare. “I have something else to deal with at the moment…”

*****

Half an hour later, Sunset was making her way down the hallway towards Lady Inkwell’s office, the aches and pains from her fall cleared away by Dr. Arnica’s treatment. Once said doctor was sure Sunset was okay, she had told her Lady Inkwell wanted to see her. She’d added that she wasn’t in trouble when Sunset started to look like she was going to panic.

The assurance that she wasn’t in danger of losing her spot calmed Sunset enough that she could make her way to Lady Inkwell’s office.

But it did nothing to assuage her concern about what had happened? Or her embarrassment about tripping over her own feet, as it were.

Reaching the beautifully carved yet simultaneously ominous door, she took a deep breath, and knocked.

“Enter.” She heard Lady Inkwell reply from within.

Reaching up and grabbing the doorknob, she twisted it and pulled the door open. Lady Inkwell’s office was much as she remembered it from her last visit. Except this time, Lady Inkwell was at her desk, examining papers critically, with Dylis perched on his stand to her right.

“You wanted to see me, your grace?” Sunset said.

“Ah, yes, Sunset.” Lady Inkwell said as she set down her papers and regarded the young girl, before gesturing to the chairs. “Please, have a set.”

Sunset hesitated for a moment, remembering what happened the last time she sat in one of those chairs. But, she knew that this time, she wasn’t in trouble, and wasn’t likely to be put under a binding charm.

Slowly making her way over to the chair, Sunset hoisted herself up and sat down.

“To start with, are you okay Sunset?” Lady Inkwell asked.

“Yes.” Sunset said, “I’m sorry I messed up.”

Rising from her chair, Lady Inkwell walked around her desk and leaned against the side closest to Sunset, regarding the young girl.

“You don’t need to apologize, Sunset.” Lady Inkwell said. “You didn’t mess up.”

“But I tripped and fell!” Sunset protested, before slapping her hands over her mouth, her eyes going wide with terror. Slowly lowering her hands, Sunset bowed her head towards the Queen’s seneschal. “I’m sorry Lady Inkwell. Please forgive my rudeness.”

Lady Inkwell’s face remained unreadable.

“You didn’t trip.” She finally said, “Someone threw oil on the floor for you to slip on.”

“What?” Sunset said, her embarrassment abating and her anger rising. “Was it Sapphire!?”

“No, it wasn’t.” Lady Inkwell said, “I caught five of the other students with empty vials of oil on them. They admitted that they threw it along the lane you’d be walking, but since I can’t figure out which one put which oil patch where, we can’t identify who actually caused you to slip.”

Seeing the enraged look on Sunset’s face, Lady Inkwell raised a hand, forestalling Sunset’s rant.

“They’re being punished, make no mistake about it.” Lady Inkwell began, “But… I have to ask you a far more pressing question: do you want to stay? If they’re brazen enough to try pulling this sort of thing right under my nose, then they’re probably going to try doing something like this again, regardless of my threats of reprisal. So, I can understand if you want to leave. If you don’t want to stay, I can arrange for transport for you back to Golden Tree.”

Sunset was stunned. Both that some of the students had done what they did, and at what Lady Inkwell was saying. That she was concerned enough for her safety that she’d offer to send her back home. The thought honestly scared her.

Looking up at Lady Inkwell, Sunset wondered what the right choice was. If she was being honest with herself, the thought of four more weeks of having to look over her shoulder constantly wasn’t a pleasant one. If she left, she could go back to Golden Tree, and put all of this behind her. Foget about the Heliopolans and their dumb prejudices. Go back to Tender Heart, Bronze Hammer, her home, her job, her friends, and her oath-sisters. Pinkie. Rainbow Dash. Applejack. They were safe. They wouldn’t hurt her.

It was so tempting. More tempting than she cared to admit.

But… then that would mean that the Heliopolans would win.

That they’d forced her to run away like a scared puppy with her tail between her legs.

If she left, she’d have let them beat her. Prove that they were “better” than her.

She could just imagine Sapphire and her friends laughing at her as she left, saying that they knew that she was a coward. That they’d won and driven the “dirt-eater” out of the rite.

No.

No!

She wouldn’t give them that satisfaction. She was Sunset Shimmer, and she was not a quitter. And she wasn’t someone who would be bullied by people who had their heads so far up their own butts that they couldn’t smell anything but poop.

Steeling herself, she looked up at Lady Inkwell.

“Thank you, your grace, but I want to stay.” Sunset said with conviction. “I’m not going to give up. They don’t want me here? Tough. I am here, and I’m not going to give them the satisfaction of making me run away.”

“Are you sure?” Lady Inkwell asked.

“Positive.” Sunset said.

A ghost of a smile touched the edge of Lady Inkwell’s lips.

“You are one stuborn little girl.” She said as she stood up, a small chuckle escaping her throat as she regarded Sunset, “You remind me of Roseluck when she first ascended. Determined and headstrong. Well, okay, if you want to stay, I’ll do what I can to keep you safe.”

Sunset went to thank her, but Lady Inkwell raised a finger, silencing the young girl.

“But… there’s only so much I can do. And, remember, that you’re also on your last chance.” Lady Inkwell said gravely. “I don’t want to hear that you’ve hurt anyone.”

“Your grace!” Sunset exclaimed, “But how am I supposed to protect myself if they try something and you aren’t around?”

Lady Inkwell’s expression stayed firm, but Sunset could see a small bit of sympathy behind the phoenix-born’s eyes.

“That’s the risk you’ll have to take if you chose to remain.” Lady Inkwell said evenly as she stared down at Sunset. “That being said, you’re a clever girl. There are other ways to protect yourself besides throwing a punch. And there are other ways to solve problems besides violence. You just need to use your head.”

Sunset frowned at that, but didn’t protest. Instead, she simply nodded.

“I…understand.” She said, trying her best to avoid speaking tersely.

“I’m sure you do.” Lady Inkwell said with her own nod. “Now, run along. Dinner’s starting soon, and I’m sure your friends are worried about you.”

“Yes, your grace.” Sunset said as she rose from the chair and made her way towards the door.

*****

Sunset’s arrival at the dining room was not a pleasant one. The moment she entered, she could hear venomous giggles from around the room, as well as whispers of things like “Sunslip Stumble”, “looks like she does eat dirt”, and a couple lecherous “did you see her underwear when she fell?” or the like. Balling her fists, she made her way to the food line. Grabbing a tray and a plate, she found the pickings pretty slim, most of the other students having already taken their share.

Grumbling, she managed to gather enough for herself, and headed towards her table, holding her head high and ignoring the giggles and barbs from the other students as she walked by. Reaching the table and finding Daisy and Lily waiting for her, she set down her tray and deflated a little, letting out a tired sigh.

Seeing her arrival, both of the Easterners perked up.

“Sunset, you’re alright!” Daisy said with a giant smile.

“Yup, it’ll take more than an oil slick to get rid of me.” Sunset said with a cheeky grin.

“Well, just as long as you’re okay. It was horrible watching you go down like that.” Lily said with tiny notes of panic in her voice. Taking a deep breath, then a bite of her sage and rosemary bread, she continued. “After you left, Lady Inkwell had everyone empty out their pockets until she figured out who was responsible. Turns out it was some boys and girls from Radia and Lioht that did it. You should have seen them when Lady Inkwell caught them and made them confess.”

“Radia and Lioht?” Sunset asked.

“The south-eastern and eastern arms of Heliopolis.” Daisy said.

Sunset’s grip on her mug tightened dangerously. Focusing her mind on her meditation techniques, she forced herself to be calm.

“And, what happened to them?” Sunset growled, “Did Lady Inkwell punish them?”

“From what I heard, she’s got them scrubbing the kitchen floors for the next two weeks.” Lily said with a nod, before a vengeful smile turned up the corner of her lips. “With toothbrushes.”

That got a smile out of Sunset, and she let out a loud guffaw as she slapped the table with her right hand.

“Well, it's not as bad as I’d want, but I hope they like being on their hands and knees.” Sunset smirked viciously, “Take it from me, scrubbing a kitchen’s not a fun job. Even with full sized brushes.”

“Oh, what’d you do to end up doing that?” Daisy said with a mischievous smile. “Put hot pepper in your mom’s underwear?”

The soup Sunset was currently eating almost went down the wrong pipe, causing her to explode into a fit of coughing. Lily quickly rose from her chair and rushed over, slapping Sunset’s back until she stopped hacking.

“You okay Sunset?” Lily asked as she handed Sunset a glass of water, which she took gratefully. Once she was sure Sunset wasn’t going to choke, Lily shot Daisy an angry glare, before walking over and flicking her ear. “Daisy, that’s not appropriate.”

“Sorry.” Daisy said, clapping her hands in front of herself, closing her eyes and bowling her head slightly to Sunset.

“It’s fine.” Sunset said, taking a drink of water to clear her throat. Fortunately, neither girl knew the reason she’d choked, and wasn’t just from the outlandish idea of her spiking Tender Heart’s underpants with hot pepper. No, it was the sudden and intense fear she’d felt when her familial situation had been brought up.

Because neither Daisy or Lily knew that she was an orphan.

She hadn’t told them, and if she had anything to say about it, that’s how things would stay.

She already had a noose around her neck for being an outsider. She didn’t need to give the Heliopolans more reason to hang her. Let alone not knowing how Daisy or Lily would react.

She wanted to trust them. To be honest with them. But after everything, she wasn’t sure if she could.

“So, do you want to review what we went over today?” Sunset said, trying to change the subject. “I’d like to go over the section on how to address nobles of differing ranks again.”

Thankfully, both Daisy and Lily were all for the idea, and soon, the three began to quiz each other on the day’s lessons. Sunset knew that after today, she was going to need to be even more on guard than ever. But, she hoped that Daisy and Lily would make it bearable.

*****

Dinner ended, and the three girls headed back to their room. Normally, Sunset would have gone to the supplemental, after diner lessons with Lady Inkwell, but tonight, she just wanted to go to her room, relax and do some non-rite based reading. Maybe pull out her forging manual and pick up on her runes again. She had a feeling that she was getting a little rusty.

Reaching their room, Sunset pulled her key from a pocket in her skirt, and went to unlock the door. Yet, as she turned the key, she didn’t feel the bolt retract.

Sunset’s heart jumped into her throat.

That could only mean one thing. The door was already unlocked.

“Lily? Daisy? Have either of you been in the room since this morning?” Sunset asked slowly.

“No.” Lily replied. “We’ve been at lessons all day. Why?”

“And I locked the door when we left this morning, right?” Sunset asked.

“Yea, we saw you do it.” Daisy said as she approached Sunset, and put a hand on her shoulder. “Why? What’s wrong?”

“The door’s unlocked.” Sunset said as she turned to look over her shoulder at her roommates “Someone went into the room.”

All three shared a look.

“Could the cleaners just have forgotten to lock up?” Lily asked as she approached the door.

“I…don’t think so.” Daisy said, nervously, “They’re professionals. They wouldn’t leave it open like that.”

Turning back to the door, Sunset steeled herself, and pushed it open. Seeing the inside of the room, she didn’t immediately spot anything out of the ordinary. There was the mild mess they’d left of their old clothes, the neat and professionally made beds that told them the cleaners had been through.

Walking in, Sunset began to look around. Nothing was obviously wrong with the room. Lily and Daisy soon followed, immediately heading to their bunks to check if anything was awry. Sunset didn’t join them, and instead headed directly to the chest at the foot of her bed. Nervously, Sunset grabbed the lid, and with a fortifying breath, opened it and looked inside. She was hoping, praying to Celestia, that what she suspected would be missing wasn’t.

Her heart sank as her blood boiled, her fingers clenching the lid to her trunk so hard the wood began to creak. Clenching her jaw with rage, she screamed at the top of her lungs and slammed the lid down, causing both of the other girls in the room to jump in fright.

“Sunset? What’s wrong?” Daisy said, approaching Sunset with concern.

As Sunset turned to face them, both girls took a nervous step back. Sunset’s face was twisted into a grimace of pure rage, one that looked ready to explode at a moment’s notice.

“My book…” Sunset growled in a harsh whisper. “My Solarian Legends book is missing.”

“Are… are you sure?” Lily asked, worry replacing fear as she saw Sunset trying to calm herself enough to think.

“Positive.” Sunset said, her posture still tight with anger, but her voice much calmer. “I always put it back in my trunk after I’m done with it.”

Both Lily and Daisy took a step back from Sunset.

“That… that’s horrible. Oh Celestia, that’s horrible!” Lily gasped in dismay.

“But who would…?” Daisy began, only to be interrupted by a knock at the door.

All three girls’ heads snapped towards the sound, Daisy and Lily looking nervous, while Sunset’s glare grew even hotter. That someone had just shown up at the door right as she discovered her book missing, it was too much of a coincidence for Sunset’s taste. Stomping past her roommates, she yanked the door open.

Of all the faces she wanted to see on the other side of the door, the person she found was close to the bottom.

There, standing in the hallway, was Sapphire Prism, an insufferably smug look on her face as she crossed her arms across her chest and stared at Sunset.

“Sapphire…” Sunset hissed.

“Oh, good evening Sunslip Stumble. Did you enjoy your dirt snack this afternoon?” Sapphire said with smug condescension. “With how easily you fell over, I bet you were starving.”

“Where’s my book you moon-loving bitch?!” Sunset snarled as she stomped up to Sapphire, readying herself to acquaint the other fire-caller’s face with her fists. “Where?!”

“What makes you think I know where your book is you dirt-eating rat?” Sapphire sneered.

Sunset’s blood all but ignited with rage as she slowly stormed out of the room towards Sapphire. She was going to finish what she started last week and pound Sapphire’s skull into the wall until it looked like tenderized meat.

Coming within arms length of Sapphire, Sunset lifted her arm, ready to pummel the pompous Heliopolan into the ground, but stopped when Sapphire didn’t react. If anything, her grin grew even larger as she eyed Sunset’s raised fist.

…remember, that you’re also on your last chance. I don’t want to hear that you’ve hurt anyone.

Sunset froze. This was what Sapphire wanted!

She knew that if Sunset laid a hand on her, she’d be thrown out of the rite. She couldn’t touch Sapphire, and the night-lover knew it. Closing her eyes and lowering her fist, Sunset forced herself to calm down with her meditation techniques. As her emotions settled, Sunset met Sapphire’s eyes, which were still shining with smug superiority, and just a subtle hint of disappointment.

“You didn’t answer my question. Where’s my book?” Sunset growled as she took a step back.

“What makes you think that I have it?” Sapphire said, placing a hand on her chest with completely mock indignation. “I haven’t laid a hand on that filthy thing. Not after Lady Inkwell unjustly put me on cleaning duty for riding the world of such dirt-eater tainted literature.”

“Somehow, I don’t buy that.” Sunset said as she clenched her fists, fighting to keep her emotions under control.

“Such accusations.” Sapphire mocked, “You have no proof that I had anything to do with it going missing.”

“And yet, here you are, right as I learn it’s missing.” Sunset retorted, “Too much of a coincidence if you ask me.”

“Well, I didn’t, and I resent the implications.” Sapphire said with a smirk. “…but, I think I remember seeing something like it earlier.”

Sunset held her ground. She couldn’t let Sapphire goad her into making a mistake.

“Oh, and where is that?” Sunset replied as calmly as she could.

“I think it was out by the gazebo in the southern side yard, by the pond.” Sapphire said as she tilted her head and brought up her right hand, placing her index finger on her cheek and rolling her eyes in “thought”. “Yes, I think I remember seeing it there in about an hour.”

“You…” Sunset hissed.

“Hmm, yea, that’s right. It was at the gazebo in one hour.” Sapphire said, “You should probably go get it. But it’s weird. It was like it wanted you to come alone, or it would throw itself into the pond. And I think it was on fire if Lady Inkwell found out. Odd.”

Sunset fumed silently, glaring at Sapphire as she uncrossed her arms and clasped her hands behind her back.

“Well, would you look at the time. It's ‘not be near a dirt-eating mongrel’ o’clock. So, I think I should go.” Sapphire lilted as she brought her right hand up and wiggled her fingers at Sunset. “Tah tah Sunslip Stumble. I hope you find your book, and that it doesn’t get set on fire because Lady Inkwell learned it was missing.”

And with that, Sapphire turned and began to walk down the hallway, leaving Sunset to fume impotently.

Once the other fire-caller was out of sight, Sunset stormed back into the room and slammed the door. Immediately, both Daisy and Lily rushed up to her.

“Sunset, you can’t seriously be thinking about going, can you?” Daisy asked, her concern clearly showing on her face.

“I have to. If I don’t, they’re going to destroy my book.” Sunset hissed, her fists clenching and her head bowing as she pinched her eyes shut in frustration.

“But it’s a trap. You have to know it is.” Lily protested.

Sunset walked past her and slammed her fists on her bed.

“I know.” She growled, “But I have to go. I have to get my book back. But they know I can’t fight back, or I’ll get kicked out. And I can’t go to Lady Inkwell, or they’ll burn it.”

Both Daisy and Lily looked at Sunset, concern painted on their faces.

“So, what are you going to do?” Daisy asked tentatively.

“I don’t know!” Sunset spat as tears began to form in her eyes. “Damn it!”

Slamming her face into the bed, Sunset screamed into the wool blanket.

It was obviously a trap. There was no way around it. But it was one she had to walk into. She couldn’t just ignore it, or she’d lose her book. But that left her with the same problem. How was she supposed to get it back?

If she showed up alone, who knows what whoever took it would do.

If she went to tell Lady Inkwell, they’d burn her prized possession.

But, there were no other options.

‘Why? Why do they keep going after Solarian Legends?’ Sunset screamed in her head, ‘Why not go after my other books, like my forging manual, or my… rune… guide…’

Slowly, Sunset lifted her head from the mattress.

‘Runes…’ Sunset thought.

There are other ways to protect yourself besides throwing a punch. And there are other ways to solve problems besides violence. You just need to use your head.

“Daisy…Lily…have you told anyone else that I’m an apprentice smith?” Sunset said slowly as she turned to look at her friends. “This is important.”

Both girls looked at each other, then back to Sunset.

“No, we haven’t. We don’t talk to the others. You know that.” Lily said. “Why? What’s going on?”


‘They don’t know that I know how to carve and power runes.’ Sunset thought. Slowly, an idea began to form in her mind. Lady Inkwell was right. There were other ways. She just hadn’t let herself realize that. And that meant she’d been playing right into the Heliopolan’s hands. She’d been letting her tormentors dictate the rules.

She’d let them decide how the dance was to be done.

But… she didn’t have to dance to their tune.

She could dance to her own.

“Daisy, can you go get me a couple of medium sized pebbles from outside?” Sunset said as she slowly made her way to her trunk and pulled out her rune guide.

“Um, sure, but why?” Daisy said nervously.

“I don’t have time to explain. Please, I need them. Quickly.’ Sunset said as she set her manual on the bed and flipped it open, her fingers scanning the pages. Finding what she was looking for, she grabbed a sheet of parchment, her dip pen, and her ink stone. Wasting no time, she ground up a small amount of ink and, dropping it into one of the bottles she kept in her pen kit, swirled the liquid until the pigment dissolved. Dipping her pen, she set the page on her nightstand, and began to write furiously, consulting her guide every couple of seconds.

Daisy looked at Lily, who returned the look. An unspoken understanding passed between them, and they nodded to the other.

“I’ll come with you.” Lily said as she grasped her friend’s shoulder, a smile forming on her face as she watched Sunset scribble furiously. “I think Sunset’s got a plan.”

Without another word, the two turned and jogged out the door, closing and locking it behind them. Sunset was aware that they’d left, but she was too lost in her arcana to give it any mind. She knew what she wanted to do. She just needed to figure out how to do it. It didn’t need to be fancy. Or permanent. All that it needed to do was hold together long enough for her to get her book back.

She wasn’t sure if she could make it work.

No.

She would make it work.

She wasn’t going to be beaten.

Not by Sapphire. Not by Helioplolis. And not by Lady Inkwell’s ultimatum.

She was Sunset Shimmer. She was a Solarian. A sun-gazer. A fire-caller. And she would have her due.

If the Heliopolans weren’t going to play fair, then neither was she.

*****

An hour later, the sun had dipped below the horizon, ending the blessed day and bringing forth the cursed night, with the traitor Luna’s silvery moon high in the sky. At this time of day, most decent sun-gazers were indoors and lost to the black void that was their nightly slumber.

It was into the unhallowed gloom of the early evening that Sunset exited from the back door of the Academy. Using a small piece of wood, she slipped it in between the frame and the door, ensuring that she wouldn’t lock herself out. Nodding at her work and keeping as low to the ground as possible, she made her way towards the eastern yard. She had to avoid being seen by any of the adults, or by the other children. If the former spotted her, she’d get in trouble with Lady Inkwell for being out so late. If the other children saw her, they’d either tattle or warn whoever took her tome that she was coming.

Neither of these were good outcomes.

Looking up at the sky, she had to suppress a shudder. With Celestia’s sun gone from the sky, this was the traitor’s time. The time when the dark ruled, and all the debased, evil things that slithered around at Luna’s behest came forth to devour and destroy. Even as safe as she was, nestled in the very heart of Celestia’s sanctum, the night still held a special dread for her. It was a cursed time, and she didn’t want to be out in it any longer than she needed.

But, as awful as the night was, she had to get her book back. And to do that, she needed the element of surprise if her plan was going to work.

In the palm of her right hand were two pebbles, each with a series of crude runes rent into their surface. Sunset hadn’t had the proper tools or the time she’d needed to carve them as cleanly as she’d have liked, meaning that the runes wouldn’t hold her flame for long.

But that didn’t matter. She just needed them to hold it for a few more minutes.

She’d done the calculations.

She’d carved the runes.

She’d performed the infusion dances, set the triggers, and had thankfully avoided any spell backlash as she fed the runes with her flame. Too much flame if she was being honest with herself, but the second-tier binding and stability runes she’d integrated into the enchantment were holding, albeit barely.

After she’d infused the runes, she’d prepared to leave, only for her friends to stop her. Both Daisy and Lily had begged her not to go through with her plan. It was too risky. And if she got caught…

Sunset reassured them that she’d be careful. And that she wouldn’t get caught. With the number of times she’d snuck out with her oath-sisters to get up to mischief, she was certain of her ability to avoid the eyes of the adults.

But, that was back in Golden Tree, where she knew her way around. And it was during the day.

Here, she didn’t know her way around, and that put her at a disadvantage.

Yet, as much as she hated to admit it, she was a little grateful for the light from the traitor's moon. Even though it was weak and barely enough to keep her from stumbling every so often over some unseen branch or root as she wove her way through the trees that lined the path to the pond and gazebo, it still provided her with enough light to stumble her way towards her goal.

She felt unclean for such thoughts, but in the moment, she wasn’t concerned with that. She’d take a hot bath later to wash the feeling away. But for now, she had to force aside her feelings and move forward.

After nearly stumbling again, she considered summoning a will-o-wisp to light her way. But, after a moment’s thought, she decided against it. The light would give her away, so she had to do without.

A few more minutes of flailing around in the darkness, and she spotted her destination. Surrounded by a low hedge, the gazebo was painted in a soft white that glowed vilely in the light of the moon. Beside it was the yard’s pond, the water gently riffling as a soft breeze blew across its surface, the reeds along its edge gently swaying. And, gathered at the base of the gazebo, were three of the other children standing in the light of a will-o-wisp: two sky-runners, and one fire-caller. She didn’t know who they were, and it was too dark to really make out their faces, but that didn’t matter. What mattered was that the fire-caller had her book in her hands.

Sunset’s grip tightened on the stones she was carrying. She needed to get closer before she could use them.

Crouching low and moving as silently as she could, Sunset made her way to the hedge, working her way along until she was close enough to hear the three of them talking.

“Are you sure she’s coming?” One of the sky-runners asked with a bored groan.

“Positive. Rosy said that dirt-eater loves this book.” The fire-caller said as she studied the book. “Heh, shame really. It's such a nice book, wasted on such a worthless piece of trash as her.”

“I’m surprised the dirt-eater can even read.” The other sky-runner said with a chuckle, one that was soon echoed by his companions.

“Hey, every dog can be trained to do tricks with enough time.” The fire-caller said with a smirk.

Sunset’s blood boiled, but she forced herself to stay low and not rush in. Instead, she edged closer. She was almost in range.

“Well, I’m tired of waiting. I say we chuck the thing into the pond and be done with it.” The first sky-runner said.

Sunset nearly panicked at that, her grip tightening on the pebbles dangerously. Moment’s later, she forced herself to calm down and relax her grip. Too much force might set them off.

“Hmm, no. Let’s not.” The fire-caller said as she admired the book in her hands. “It’d be a waste to ruin something so rare. Let’s just hide it, and once she shows up, I’ll tell her we threw it in the pond for being late. The moment she lays a hand on us, she’s gone, we’ve removed an unworthy stain on the rite, and I get to keep a beautiful, rare book. Win-win-win.”

‘You are not keeping that book, you singer.’ Sunset thought as she edged even closer. She had to stay calm. She had to stay collected. She couldn't rush things. She had to wait until she was sure she had her opportunity.

“Whatever. Just hurry up in case she shows.” the second sky-runner said.

With a nod, the fire-caller ran up to the gazebo and, looking left and right to check if anyone other than her friends were watching, slipped the book under the stairs leading into it, before climbing the staircase and taking a seat on the top step.

Sunset’s heart skipped a beat. Her book was right there.

But now the fire-caller was too far away from the other two. She had to get them closer together, or her plan wouldn’t work.

Looking down at her feet, she desperately searched for something she could use to get their attention. Seeing several small rocks, she grabbed one, transfering the rune covered stones to her left hand. Peaking around the corner of the hedge, Sunset wound her arm back and threw the stone. Seconds later, it landed in the pond, creating a loud splash.

Instantly, all three turned towards the pond, the fire-caller rising to her feet and starting to descend the stairs.

“You hear that?” One of the sky-runners asked.

“No, I didn’t hear a loud splash just now.” the other said, “Of course I heard that dingus.”

“Well, go check it out.” The first sky-runner said.

“No, you.”

“Both of you be quiet and get over here.” the fire-caller hissed at her companions. “I bet it’s that dirt-eater. Probably skulking around here somewhere. Heh, animal’s more clever than we gave her credit for.”

The two of them started to walk towards the fire-caller. Good. Just a little closer.

“Should we split up and go looking for her?” The first sky-runner asked as he and his companion reached the fire-caller.

This was it. They were close enough.

“No. One of you stay here, one of you fly up and see if you can spot her…”

It was now or never. Transfering one of the stones to her right hand, Sunset grasped them in her fingers and violently slammed them together, setting off a chain reaction in the impact trigger she’d put into the enchantment. Transfering the one in her left hand to her right, she could feel her flame beginning to overload the runes, meaning she only had a couple of seconds before they went off.

“Hey, over here!” Sunset shouted, as she shot up from her hiding place. Instantly, all three turned towards her, just like she’d hoped. Before they could respond, she threw the glowing, rune-covered stones. The stones arced through the air, and landed at the other children’s feet, just as Sunset slammed her eyelids shut and buried her face in the crook of her elbow.

In fraction of a second later, the runes overloaded, and discharged. A bright, dazzling burst of light erupted from the first stone, flooding the area around the gazebo with blinding radiance. At the same instant, the noise dampening rune on the other stone went off, devouring all sound within a five meter radius, including the startled, pained screams of the three Heliopolan children, who were now flailing around, temporarily blinded by the bright light hitting their dark adjusted eyes.

Lowering her arms, Sunset wasted no time in rushing forward, past the three blinded and flailing children whose cries were still being devoured by the overloaded rune, and to the stairs of the gazebo. Reaching under, she retrieved her book, and, without looking back, burst into a full sprint back towards the Academy. Moments later, the sound dampening rune burnt itself out, and the disoriented cries of the three thieves came back in full force.

As she approached the Academy, she saw lights starting to come on in the main building. No doubt some of the staff had been alerted by the bright flash of light that her rune’s detonation had created. Thinking fast, she veered off to the south, and headed towards the side entrance she’d come from.

Moments later, she heard the back door slam open. Ducking behind a bush, she saw Sparkler and two other staff members rush out and make their way towards the gazebo.

Getting back to her feet, Sunset broke into a sprint, not stopping until she reached the south-side door. Yanking it open, she kicked the wooden shard away and pulled it shut behind her, hearing the latch click as she did.

Collapsing against the wall, Sunset let out a huge sigh of relief. Looking down at the book in her arms, she hugged the tome against her chest, the urge to break down in tears starting to overwhelm her. She couldn’t keep doing this. She couldn’t keep almost losing her sister’s gift.

Taking a deep breath, her brow furrowed, and she pushed herself off the wall. Lady Inkwell was right.

She needed to use her head.

*****

The next morning, Sunset, Daisy and Lily were heading towards the breakfast hall, chatting about the day’s planned lessons. Of the three, Sunset looked like she hadn’t slept well, but didn’t look too much worse for wear outside that.

As they neared the dining room, they spotted three unpleasant and angry looking fire-callers. Standing by the doors, Sapphire, Rosy and Orange were glaring daggers at the three non-Heliopolans as they approached.

“Good morning Sapphire.” Sunset said cheerily. “How’re you doing?”

Sapphire’s eyes narrowed as she glared at Sunset.

“Oh, by the way, I found my book.” Sunset said sweetly, “So, thanks for the tip.”

Sapphire’s glare grew in intensity.

“You know, after misplacing it, I was so worried that I’d never get to read it again, that I just had to spend some time going through my favorite stories. Found one I haven’t read in a while.” Sunset said as she matched Sapphire’s venomous glare with one of her own.

“Really…” Sapphire growled.

“Oh, yes. It’s called ‘the dogs and the winterchilla’.” Sunset said, still smiling sweetly. “Have you ever heard of it?”

“No.” Sapphire said.

“It’s a fascinating tale.” Sunset continued, “It’s about a bunch of foolish and stupid dogs that like to pick on smaller creatures for fun, thinking that because they’re so much bigger, they’re clearly better than their prey, and can do whatever they want. One day, they come across a small, defenseless looking little creature, and decide they want to chase it. And they do.”

Rosy and Orange were fuming at this point, but Sapphire raised a hand, keeping them from advancing on Sunset.

“And they have a grand old time, running after the poor little thing, biting at it, and basically scaring it nearly half to death.” Sunset said, before a smug smile worked itself onto her face, “But, they’re so caught up in their game, that they don’t notice it starting to get dark.”

“Is there a point to all this Sunslip Stumble?” Sapphire growled.

“Before they know it, the sun has gone down, and the little creature stops running.” Sunset said, ignoring Sapphire’s barb. “At first, the dogs think they’ve won, and move in to finish the creature off. But then, it turns to face them, and something happens. It starts to grow. Soon, it's taller than the trees. Before they know what’s happening, the not so little creature starts chasing them, catching them one by one, and smashing their heads open on the rocks. Soon, all the dogs are dead, and the monstrous creature turns back into its little form and scampers off. It would almost be a sad ending for the dogs, if they hadn’t brought their fate on themselves.”

All three Heliopolans glared daggers at Sunset, Orange balling her hands into fists.

“I’m surprised you never heard that story Sapphire.” Sunset said cheerily, before her voice dropped and became dark and condescending. “I mean, it’s not like you’d be able to relate to those dogs, now would you?”

“This isn’t over, dirt-eater.” Sapphire hissed before turning on her heels and walking into the dining room, quickly followed by Rosy and Orange.

“I don’t like this.” Daisy said nervously. “She’s really got it out for you now.”

“I know.” Sunset said, glaring at the door Sapphire and her cronies had just passed through.

“Just… be careful.” Lily said, “She’s not going to forgive you for that.”

“I’m not looking for her forgiveness.” Sunset said gravely. “She backs off, so do I. But I’m not going to let her step on me anymore. She wants to play rough. Fine. I’ll play rough. But I’m playing by my rules. Not hers.”

And at that, Sunset stepped forward and pushed open the door to the dining hall, holding it for her friends before following them inside.

Author's Note:

Winterchillas are cute, fluffy, fast, and oh so cuddly. They can also smash you into paste if you piss them off when they go winterzilla.

If you're wondering what exactly Sunset did with those runes, I'll address it next chapter.

PreviousChapters Next