• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,952 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,952

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 16 - The Trials - Pain and Poison, Pure and Raw

Sunset stared listlessly out the bay window overlooking Roseluck’s garden. The Queen’s sun had begun rising past the mesa and over the treetops, banishing the night and heralding the start of a new day.

Normally, the sight eased her mind. Filled her with peace seeing that the Queen’s light was watching over her. A feeling that had only grown with her time on Mt. Liakeed, and in the queen’s presence.

But at that moment, she felt little comfort.

Instead, she felt exhausted, confused, frightened…

And sick.

Whatever had happened to her had left a lingering malaise. A creeping fatigue that had sunk into her bones and muscles that even Roseluck’s magic couldn’t relieve.

She hadn’t slept the rest of the night. Whenever she closed her eyes, the phantoms of Golden Tree’s destruction and her friends casting her out kept her from the restful oblivion of slumber. Instead, she’d stayed curled up in Roseluck’s arms, Philomena nesting in her lap, listening to the archduchess read some of her favorite legends from the Eastern Territory.

Yet, with the rising of the sun, Roseluck had to excuse herself, saying she had to attend to, “some things,” but would be back with breakfast as soon as she could be. Sunset had tried to protest, but Roseluck had firmly yet gently told her that she had to go. Instead, Amara had leapt from Roseluck’s shoulder and landed on one of the golden perches above the window.

Sunset relaxed a bit. If Amara was staying to make sure she was safe, Roseluck wasn’t going to be far.

And so, she found herself sitting on the bumped-out window seat, the memories coming back in full force.

Tormenting her.

Taunting her.

Reminding her that on the other side of Solaria, the people that she loved now hated her. That they wanted her dead and gone.

And that it was all her fault.

Philomena shifted, snuggling up to her right elbow before her brooding could spiral out of control. Glancing down, their eyes met, and Sunset pulled her into a tight hug.

I’m right here, Sunset, Philomena sent, touching Sunset’s nose with the flat of her beak and letting out a soft trill, letting her love and worry flow through their wide-open link. I’m not going anywhere.

I… I know, Sunset sent, a few tears rolling down her cheeks as she savored the feeling of Philomena, both in her arms and in her mind. A feeling that she thought she’d lost.

Like her family. Like Golden Tree.

I just... I-

Another wave of love came through their bond. Warm. Gentle. Comforting. And earnest.

It’s okay. We can stay like this as long as you need.

Sunset didn’t send anything in reply, simply pulling her bondmate closer. Her fear of losing contact with her again flooded through their bond. A wave of reassurance and love like sunlight trying to burn away a bank of storm clouds came in response. It couldn’t completely drive the pain away.

But for a moment it made it more bearable.

Then, the phantoms came surging back. Even as sleep-deprived as she was, she could have closed their bond. But she didn’t want to risk being cut off from Philomena again. So she left it wide open, giving Philomena a perfect view of her failures and what they had cost her.

Philomena’s concern and a strong feeling of rejection came in response. Rejection that was directed at the memories and self-loathing that was clouding Sunset’s mind. The force of the sending was staggering.

Sunset, none of that really happened. The poison made you see that. I promise. Everyone in Golden Tree is safe.

But I saw it. I was there.

I know you saw it. I could see it too. But I swear, it wasn’t really happening.

How do you know? Chaos was involved, so... maybe I was in two places at once, o-or it was showing me the future! How can you be sure none of it happened, or that it won’t?

A fleeting twinge of frustration entered their bond.

So you’re a night-weaver now? Philomena sent, dryly.

Sunset recoiled in raw horror and outrage.

What?! Mena… did you just…HOW DARE YOU?! How dare you suggest that…

I’m not the one implying you can teleport or see the future. What kind of magic lets you do that, exactly? We’ve sat through enough lessons with Queen Celestia to know that it isn’t flame.

Sunset’s incredulity was doused as she thought about what Philomena had just sent.

Okay, fine, you’re right. But you could have gone with something less insulting, like saying I started burning villages or poisoning wells.

It got you to stop and think, didn’t it?

Sighing, Sunset went back to hugging Philomena.

That’s not a no, Philomena sent with a smug lilt.

Don’t try to distract me, Sunset sent firmly. Even if you’re right…

Which I am.

…Even if you’re right and it wasn’t real, it was real to me. You said you could see everything? Then you know exactly what I saw. What I did. Mena, I killed Lyra. I burnt off her hands and incinerated her brain. I’ve known Lyra longer than my oath-sisters. Bronze threw me away, told me that everything that happened to Golden Tree was my fault, and that he regrets taking me as his apprentice. And my oath-sisters. I… they told me they didn’t want me anymore. And that I was responsible for the deaths of their families. It hurts. It hurts so much. I thought I was going to die, Mena. And…I... I think part of me wanted to.

A maelstrom of conflicting emotions swirled from Philomena. Sympathy. Worry. Anger. What she thought might have been... disappointment?

Most of all, she sensed hurt and sorrow.

Don’t ever say that ever again, Sunset, Philomena sent softly, her own memories flowing into Sunset’s mind’s eye. Watching her get hurt by the phantoms, both within and outside Sunset’s mind. The desire to aid her bondmate. And the torment of knowing she could do nothing.

Do you even understand what it was like for me to watch you suffer and know I couldn’t do a nighted thing about it? To feel everything you were feeling? I didn’t even care about what would happen to me if you died. All I could think about was how helpless I was, how much I wanted to protect you. And how agonizing it was that I couldn’t.

Sunset felt Philomena’s rebuke like a wave of freezing cold water thrown right in her face. The sheer pain in her sending was unbearable. It was almost enough to make her forget her own hurt.

Almost.

Then you know how much it hurt me to be cut off from you. I thought you were gone, Sunset sent as she shifted her hand to pet the side of Philomena’s beak. I thought I had been abandoned… again.

Philomena didn’t respond with a sending. Only an intense wave of sympathy and fear for Sunset. Sunset knew her own feelings were flowing to Philomena just as intensely. Those of sorrow at hurting her mixed with the pain of remembering their separation.

How do I make this better, Sunset? Philomena finally sent as she nuzzled Sunset’s cheek. What do I do to help you? I don’t understand. I just don’t.

Philomena let out a soft trill as her worry and frustration hit Sunset, making the young phoenix-born hold her bondmate tighter.

How do I make it better?

*****

A soft poke to her shoulder jolted Sunset awake. Letting out a startled shout, she began looking around frantically. Philomena was likewise yanked out of slumber, her confusion coming through their bond even as she took to the air, trying to figure out what had startled them.

As the daze of sleep faded, the world came into focus around her. She was still in Roseluck’s bedroom, sitting by her bay window. Amara was still above, resting on her perch, an amused look in her eyes. And as for what roused her…

“Roseluck?” Sunset asked as Philomena landed back in her lap.

“Sorry to wake you up like that, Sunset,” Roseluck said with a warm smile, holding up the wooden tray she was carrying. On the tray was a steaming mug of what smelled like eincjira, along with a pungent bowl of some sort of light-green porridge filled with flecks of what looked like herbs, and a small pile of roasted mice. “I brought you and Philomena some breakfast. And some medicine.”

At the thought of food, Sunset’s stomach sent a sharp hunger-pang through her guts. But, her attention was fixated on something else that Roseluck had said. Something that filled her with dread.

“Medicine?” Sunset asked nervously.

Unpleasant memories of bitter herbal tinctures and foul smelling oils she’d been forced to take whenever she got sick came rushing back. Tender Heart was a skilled healer, but the things that she used were nearly as bad as what they were meant to cure. “What kind of medicine?”

“Something to finish getting the ul’muri out of your body,” Roseluck said, her tone somber.

Something about what Roseluck said made Sunset’s skin crawl. She’d never heard of whatever Roseluck had mentioned. And it was somehow still in her?

“Ulmuri? What’s Ulmuri?”

Roseluck looked away, a strange expression coming to her face as she let out a soft sigh, then set the tray on a low table set into the wall.

“You need to eat something first, then we’ll talk about it, okay?”

Roseluck’s tone and evasiveness put Sunset on edge.

“No! Roseluck, what’s Ulmuri? What was I given?” Sunset demanded with more force.

Sunset, don’t do this. Not now, Philomena sent, a feeling of concern and desire for her to calm down flowing into her bondmate.

Jaw set, Sunset ignored Philomena’s warning and continued glaring at Roseluck. To her frustration, the woman’s face remained unchanged. Sympathetic, but unchanged.

“Do you trust me?” Roseluck finally asked.

“What does that have to do with anything? I’m not moving until you tell me what Ulmuri is!”

“I will explain it, Sunset. But you need to eat before you take your medicine. Otherwise it won’t work.”

“Why?”

“Because, the ul’muri they gave you was Chaos-tainted. Unless we purge the taint, you could become Chaos-corrupted.” Roseluck said firmly. “We need to get it out of your body. To do that, we’re going to have to draw out the Chaos-taint and make you vomit it out.”

“I- What?!” Sunset balked in horror. “Chaos-corrupted? I’m Chaos-corrupted?”

“No. Not yet. But if we’re going to stop you from becoming Chaos-corrupted, you’re going to have to take your medicine and vomit the Chaos-taint out,” Roseluck repeated in that same calming, gentle tone she always used. “I promise you, Sunset, this is the only way. Now please, come over and eat.”

Sunset didn’t want to believe what Roseluck was saying, Yet the idea of being contaminated with Chaos was terrifying beyond what she experienced under the ulmuri. Being Chaos-corrupted was a death sentence. She could and would be killed on sight.

Yet Roseluck had never done anything to warrant her mistrust, so she doubted she would lie about something like that.

No, that wasn’t true.

She hadn’t lifted a finger to protect Golden Tree from Blueblood.

Sunset, Roseluck didn’t do that. Remember? That was this… ulmuri stuff.

She glared at Philomena, who glared back defiantly. After a few moments, she took a deep breath and ran through one of her meditation techniques to steady her mind.

It did little to quiet the phantoms.

You don’t need to remind me.

Clearly, I did.

…fine, Sunset sent sullenly.

“Okay…” Sunset’s voice was unsure as she pointed at the bowl. “What is that?”

“Sweet herbal nalanta. Made with fresh sumiril tubers and herbs from my garden. It should help settle your stomach and make it easier for the medicine to work.”

“And what is this medicine you keep talking about?” Sunset asked nervously. She didn’t like how evasive Roseluck was being about something that was supposedly going to make her sick. Especially after what happened right after she’d been sick last evening.

Had it really only been one night? It felt like so much longer.

“After you’ve eaten, I’ll explain everything.” Roseluck gathered three pillows, setting them near the table. Sitting on the largest, she patted the one beside her. “Now come come. Nalanta’s best eaten warm. You too, Philomena.”

Reluctantly, Sunset offered her arm to Philomena as she made her way to the table. Once the two were settled, Amara flew from her perch and landed by her little sister.

Looking down at the strange porridge… nalanta as Roseluck called it, Sunset’s stomach growled loudly. Yet she didn’t move to eat. Instead, she looked at Roseluck with a frown.

“Here,” Roseluck said, taking a spoon of the dish and eating it, chewing several times before swallowing it down. “See. It’s safe. Now please, eat.”

Tucking in, she realized just how hungry she was. While the taste wasn’t remarkable, a sort of mix between sweet and savory, she found it quite filling.

After finishing half the bowl, she turned to Roseluck, “You said you’d tell me what ulmuri is. So, what is it?”

Once again, that strange sigh escaped Roseluck’s lips as she closed her eyes, taking a deep breath before answering.

“Ul’muri… is a sacred, ritual medicine used by the kirintal.”

Sunset nearly choked on the spoonful of nalanta she’d just stuck in her mouth. Coughing, she grabbed the mug of eincjira and swallowed a few gulps, clearing her airway. She could feel Philomena’s surprise and concern through their bond as she looked with alarm back and forth between Sunset, Roseluck and Amara.

“I’m sorry, but what did you just say? The kirintal were involved?” Sunset snarled, her temper rising at the thought of the people she’d been forced to placate and get yanked around on puppet strings for being responsible for her poisoning. Especially if they were allied with the Cult and Nightcrawler.

“No, Sunset,” Roseluck said with a shake of her head. “It’s more likely he stole it from them. Or stole the way to grow the ingredients.”

“What makes you so sure?” Sunset asked angrily.

“The only ones that know how to grow and make ul’muri are the kirintal spiritualists. And they are among the kirintal’s most devoted to Himavanta,” Roseluck said, before her expression darkened. “Knowing how Nightcrawler works, he probably tore the knowledge from the shades of kirintal he slew during or since the Skellweb Crisis.”

“That’s not exactly proof.”

“Sunset, the kirintal have been our allies for centuries, and have suffered just as much as we have from the cult’s predations. If that isn’t enough for you, then you’re just going to have to trust me.”

Sunset glared at Roseluck. Through her bond, she felt Philomena wordlessly urging her to stop, memories of times Roseluck had helped her when she needed it. As the memories kept coming, Sunset found her temper cooling as they drowned out the false, ulmuri created memories. She sent a feeling of gratitude to Philomena in response.

“I’m trying. But you’re not giving me an nighted answer. What. Is! Ulmuri!?” Sunset demanded, emphasizing her growing frustration by slamming her fist against the table, making both Philomena and Amara hop back.

“As I said, it’s a sacred medicine used by the kirintal. It comes from two compounds: ground ul’itha leaf and dried tath’muri mushrooms,” Roseluck explained, lacing her fingers together and resting her arms on the table. “Alone, they’re inert. Combined, they become an extremely powerful hallucinogen. One that creates visions of your greatest fears.”

Amara walked over to Roseluck, trilling softly as she rubbed her beak against her bondmate’s hand, bringing a smile to the archduchess’s face.

Sunset’s head hurt as she tried to understand what Roseluck was telling her. The kirintal willingly took Ulmuri in order to face their fears? She couldn’t fathom anyone willingly going through what she did.

“And they do that to themselves willingly?” she asked incredulously. “Why would they try to kill themselves?”

“They don’t,” Roseluck said with a shake of her head. “The visions caused by ul’muri only last an hour or so. Otherwise, it’s harmless. What you were given was heavily altered by Nightcrawler and the Cult using Chaos-alchemy to make it into a lethal poison.”

“So, you know what they gave me, but you managed to neutralize it. So why do you still need to get it out?”

Roseluck looked away again, stroking Amara as the phoenix rubbed her head against her hand, trilling supportively.

“I didn’t neutralize it, Sunset. I extracted one component,” Roseluck said solemnly, giving Sunset an apologetic look and placing a hand over hers. “When Raven told us what they used on you, I tried removing both components. But I could only purge the ul’itha.”

Sunset considered what Roseluck had just said, turning it over and over in her mind until an ember ignited.

“Is there any reason why you couldn’t get rid of the other one?”

Roselucks’ face fell at Sunset’s question, as though it physically pained her to think about.

“Chaos. The tath’muri was the part that Nightcrawler corrupted, meaning that basic spells or rituals won’t work. Removing the ul’itha stopped the visions, but couldn’t get rid of the tath’muri. Or the Chaos-taint. We’re going to have to use something else to purge that from you. Something more potent,” Roseluck said as she set a small, plain looking ceramic bottle with a metal cork on the top of the table. “Which is why I had to make this. You’ll need to drink this, after which I’ll be able to use my magic to catalyze it and pull the Chaos-taint out of you.”

Looking at the bottle, something deep inside her was drawn to it, yet repulsed at the same time.

Mena, do you feel that?

No. But I can feel it from you.

…I don’t like this. “I assume that’s this medicine you keep telling me about,” Sunset said, glaring at the bottle. “So, what is it?”

Roseluck didn’t immediately reply. Instead, she looked mournfully at the bottle, as if the sight of it pained her.

“It’s a Chaos purgative Raven and I developed after the Skellweb Crisis. It’s… the main ingredients are enchanted phlume heartwood sap combined with true water,” Roseluck said, a touch of sadness creeping into her voice as she ran a hand down the bottle.

“WHAT!?” Sunset shouted in horror as she shot up from the table and backed away, startling both Philomena and Amara again and forcing Roseluck to grab the bottle to prevent it from falling over. “You want me to drink phlume?!”

“Sunset, please calm down,” Roseluck pleaded as she set the bottle back on the table and rose to her feet.

“No! Do you think I’m stupid?!” Sunset backed away from Roseluck, her breathing becoming shallow. “Phlume sap is pure poison! It’ll kill me!”

“Chaos-tainted phlume is poison. Uncorrupted phlume isn’t. I promise,” Roseluck said placatingly.

“So you’re saying it won’t kill me?”

Roseluck looked strangely guilty for a moment, causing Sunset’s hackles to rise.

“It might,” Roseluck finally admitted with a sad sigh.

“I knew it! I knew you and Raven had it out for me!” Sunset shouted, transforming her living flame into tendrils as she backed away even further. “You just want to get rid of me, don’t you? You want me dead after you made me try to impress those stupid deer! Or…or you’re secretly in league with Blueblood. Admit it. You think I’m a failure of a phoenix-born, so you’re just going to kill me and be done with it!”

The look of hurt on Roseluck’s face almost made Sunset feel guilty, as did the feeling of sadness coming from Philomena. But she wasn’t going to fall for Roseluck’s acting.

“Sunset,” Roseluck said calmly, “I don’t want to kill you. I don’t hate you, or think you’re a failure. I love you like a little sister.”

Sunset! Stop! Philomena’s sending came with a feeling of panic.

“Sure doesn’t sound like it.” Sunset glared, ignoring Philomena’s sendings. “Why should I believe you when you say you don’t want me dead?”

“Because… if any of that was true, I wouldn’t have removed the ul’itha. Raven wouldn’t have risked her life to find out what the Cult used. And General Sentry would have just cut your head off when we found out you might become Chaos-corrupted.”

Sunset recoiled at the ease with which Roseluck had just said what she said.

Sunset, listen to her, Philomena sent, her tone similarly placating. Along with the sending came feelings of calm and composure, as well as a pleading sensation for her to relax.
Who’s side are you on!?

I’m on your side. But stop and think about it. This is Roseluck. When has she ever tried to hurt you?

She…

In the real world. Not in your ulmuri induced hallucinations!

The ferocity of Philomena’s rebuke stopped Sunset dead in her tracks.

…never, Sunset reluctantly admitted. She’s never tried to hurt me.

Has she ever been anything but kind, supportive, or loving?

No.

And if she just wanted you dead, would she have saved you from the ulmuri, only to kill you by making you drink a poisoned “medicine?”

No…

And if she wanted you to drink poison, would she have told you that it might kill you?

No…

So, that means what?

Slowly, Sunset relaxed, but didn’t go any closer to Roseluck, instead staring fearfully at the bottle on the table.

“Why?” Sunset asked nervously. “Why is this the only way? Can’t you do something that won’t…”

Sunset’s voice trailed off, leaving the rest of her question unspoken.

“If there was any other way, I’d do it.” Roseluck’s tone was regretful, soft… and infuriating. Sunset wanted to trust her sincerity, but it was hard. “But Chaos-taint is resilient. And pernicious.”

Roseluck paused, her face with a look that told Sunset she was considering her next words very carefully.

“You’re a blacksmith. Have you ever worked with metal ingots that have a lot of impurities?”

“Yes?” Sunset replied cautiously.

“Is it easy to get the impurities out?”

“No,” Sunset said with a furrowed brow, thinking back to several long days with Bronze where they had to spend hours at the crucible, her maintaining the heat of the furnace and him spell-dancing to facilitate the purification process. “We have to melt the metal down and either scrape off the impurities as slag or use spell-dances if that doesn’t work.”

“That’s like what the purgative is going to do. You’re contaminated with Chaos, so we need to ‘purify’ you. It’s why we need to use phlume. It has a natural affinity for Chaos-energy,” Roseluck said, as she approached the younger phoenix-born, kneeling down and putting a hand on her shoulder. “That’s what makes it so useful as a catalyst in Chaos-alchemy. But that property also means it can be used to draw out and bind Chaos-energy, given the right spells.”

“What about Queen Celestia? Couldn’t she remove it?”

“She could. The problem is time. It’d take most of the day to get you back to Mt. Liakeed. The longer the tath’muri stays, the harder it will be to cleanse the Chaos-taint without it being a guaranteed death sentence. We need to do this now, Sunset. Before it sinks in too deep.”

Sunset gingerly brought up her hands and returned Roseluck’s hug. How much more was she going to suffer today? She’d already been clawed, bruised, beaten and stabbed. But if… no, Roseluck was telling the truth. She had to be. If she was lying, then…

“Will it hurt?”

“Regrettably, quite a lot.”

“How badly?”

“Probably the worst you’ll feel in your life.”

Sunset tensed up as terror shot through her like lightning. Before she could spiral, Roseluck tightened her hug, rubbing her back as she whispered, “I promise I’ll make this up to you, Sunset.”

“And there’s really no other way?”

Sunset felt Roseluck flinch at the question.

“I’m afraid not,” Roseluck sighed, her voice shaking like it was almost on the verge of tears. “If there was, Amale wouldn’t have had to sacrifice herself.”

The sheer hurt and grief in Roseluck’s voice caught Sunset by surprise. In a way, it reminded her of the way Granny Smith, Big Mac and AJ sounded when Bright Mac and Buttercup died.

“Who’s Amale?”

Roseluck went quiet, the only sound she made the slow, steady rhythm of her breathing.

“She was one of my oldest phlume plants. When I told them that I needed heartwood sap to save your life, she volunteered to let me harvest her’s,” Roseluck said, her voice going quiet. “Unlike harvesting normal sap, taking heartwood sap is fatal, but she gave it willingly. She was with me for over three hundred years. I don’t want her sacrifice to be in vain.”

Roseluck’s words hung in the air like a stormcloud.

“So,” Sunset sighed dejectedly, “my choices are to do nothing and have General Sentry put a bullet in my brain, or take a medicine that might still kill me.”

Roseluck didn’t say a word. Only nod.

“Right... How does the medicine taste?”

A single, soft chuckle came from Roseluck’s throat. “Revolting.”

“Of course,” Sunset groaned.

“I’m sorry, Sunset.”

“Let’s… just get this over with,” Sunset said, letting go of Roseluck and pointing to the bottle. “So I just need to drink that?”

“Not quite,” Roseluck said as she rose to her feet. “Once you’ve finished your nalanta, we’ll head to my spellforge. I’ll explain everything else there.”

*****

Roseluck pushed a large pair of double doors open before ushering Sunset inside, both of their bondmates perching on their shoulders. The four of them had left Roseluck’s room not long ago and headed deeper into the manor escorted by a pair of prominence knights.

For Sunset, it felt like she was being led to an execution. In a way, she was.

No, she had to remind herself, it wasn’t an execution.

Roseluck was trying to save her life.

With a method that could kill her.

“Are you ready for this?” Roseluck asked, pulling Sunset out of her brooding.

“No.” Sunset inhaled, longing for the feeling of her hammer and tongs. If… when she got through this, she was going to spend as much time at her anvil as she could. “But that doesn’t matter.”

The prominence knights remained outside as they entered the spellforge. The room they entered was modestly sized for a spellforge, and bare of furnishing other than a few perches jutting from the walls. All around the room were familiar lines of runes carved into the wood of the walls. Even from a glance, Sunset could tell that they were very advanced, probably tier four and five at minimum. Not as complex as the ones she’d seen Raven use, but still far beyond her own ability.

In the center, there was a short, raised platform, with a ceramic, rune-covered bucket sitting at the edge. Around the platform were four concentric circles of high-tier runes.

And standing out amongst the sparse background were a pair of familiar figures.

“Lilly? Daisy?”

“Sunset, you’re okay,” Daisy cheered and rushed up to her, with Lily not far behind. Philomena barely launched herself into the air before they wrapped her in a tight hug.

I wish they wouldn’t do that, Philomena sent irritably as she flew to, then landed on one of the perches jutting from the wall.

Sorry, Mena. “What are you two doing here?” Sunset asked as she returned the hug.

“After Roseluck told us what happened, we wanted to know if we could do anything to help,” Lily said.

“What did she tell you?” Sunset asked as a spike of panic shot through her chest.

“Most of it,” Roseluck said as she approached the three. “Namely that the Cult had poisoned you, and left a parting gift in the form of Chaos-taint.”

“And that she’d need our help saving you,” Daisy declared.

“She didn’t tell us how though,” Lilysaid, looking up at Roseluck.

“It’s simple,” Roseluck said as she knelt down and put a hand on both Lily and Daisy’s shoulders. “Once the purification begins, you two will be her anchors.”

“Anchors?” Lily and Daisy asked in tandem.

“What’re anchors?” Sunset added.

“Remember what I told you back in my room? How just drinking the purgative wouldn’t be enough?” Roseluck asked Sunset.

“I do,” Sunset nodded. “You also said you’d explain once we got here.”

“I did, and I will,” Roseluck said solemnly. “Once you drink the purgative, I will activate it with my magic. Once I begin, and I must emphasize this, you must hold completely still. If you don’t, the process fails.”

“W-wait. You said it would hurt. And I have to hold completely still?”

“Yes. I’m afraid so.” Roseluck closed her eyes, squeezing the girls’ shoulders. “That’s why they’re here. They’ll be your anchors, something you can focus on. It won’t lessen the pain, but it should make it more bearable.”

None of them knew what to say.

“What... what happens if she fails?” Daisy asked.

Sunset’s chest tightened as Roseluck’s brow furrowed, as though she were weighing her words carefully.

“The spell backfires, and the feedback will....”

“Will what?”

“It will kill you.”

“What?” Daisy gasped.

Sunset didn’t say anything. Instead, she just stared at Roseluck, the weight of the archduchess’s declaration constricting her heart and mind like a great snake.

“… how?” Sunset finally asked, her voice trembling. “How will it kill me? I want to know.”

“Believe me, you don’t.”

“Yes I do!” Sunset balled her fists and glared up at Roseluck. Her voice broke, and she hated herself for it. She felt weak, powerless to even control her own emotions, let alone anything else. “Please. Tell me.”

Roseluck rose and took several deep breaths. When she opened her eyes, they were cold and clinical.

“If the purification fails, the feedback will liquefy your insides, killing you instantly”

“It’ll do what to her?” Daisy shouted in horror.

Lily’s lip trembled as she wrapped herself around Sunset. “Why did you make something like that?”

Roseluck shook her head and sighed.

“Girls, I don’t think you understand just what removing Chaos-taint requires. There’s a reason why corruption is a death sentence. Before, only the Queen could cleanse the taint, and even then there was a very high fatality rate.”

Her expression grew hard as she pulled the jar from her robes, holding it for them to see. Sunset instinctively shrank back.

“Even if I was willing to carve the heartwood out of every one of my precious phlume plants, that’s not the limiting factor. The true water is. Producing a single drop of it takes months of careful refining. Making this bottle of purgative took all of the true water I’ve got, which I’ve been making for over a century.” Roseluck looked at the bottle in her hand, and sighed. “Even getting this far took decades of development between myself and Raven, with the Queen’s aid. I’m sorry, but this really is the best we can do.”

Her expression grew hard. “I understand how much this must be to take in, but our time is running out. If we don’t do this soon, your fate will be out of my hands and into General Sentry’s. And I know neither of us want that.”

Sunset and Philomena shared in their distress. The instinctual, animal fear of pain and death held her back, but she had no choice. Die by the hand of General Sentry, or gamble on what felt like impossible odds.

But... did it matter if she died?

It wasn’t like she had anything to live for. Everyone in Golden Tree hated her - or they’d learn to eventually. The Heliopolans certainly did, and the kirintal were well on their way.

She didn’t have much better luck with her fellow phoenix-born either. She’d ruined her relationship with Raven. Steel and Spitfire would never like her.

Roseluck was different, and she had Lily and Daisy, too, but how long would they last? How long until she did or said something so unforgivable she drove everyone who had ever loved her away?

Maybe... maybe they’d be better off without her.

A wave of hurt and sadness came flooding into her mind from Philomena.

Sunset, Philomena sent, I don’t think that Nitor would be better off without you. And neither does anyone else that matters.

Mena, how can you say that? Everyone hates me.

Do Lily and Daisy hate you? Do you think they’d be sad if you died?

Sunset’s eyes flicked between the two earth-weavers.

I don’t know.

Yes you do. They don’t hate you, and they would be sad. And what about Roseluck? Do you think she would have done everything she’s doing to save your life if she didn’t care? That she didn’t love you and wanted you to live?

I... guess. But my oath-sisters…

They don’t even know what’s happened here, Sunset. I promise.

But, still…

Even if they didn’t, it was only a matter of time. Only a matter of time until everyone knew how much of a-

Are you just going to give up?

I…

Because that’s not the Sunset that I know. The Sunset I know is the girl who, in spite of everything, figured out a way to Heliopolis. She got there on her own. She survived the rite training, and she beat Sapphire Prism. Or am I mistaken?

Sunset swallowed. You’re... not.

Isn’t Sunset Shimmer the girl who proved herself worthy of being a phoenix-born? Or am I wrong on that, too?

She is.

And isn’t she the one who’s going to rule the Western Territory and become one of the greatest artificers Solaria has ever known?

Sunset wanted to rebuff Philomena’s sendings, but found herself faltering.

You’re right, Sunset sent, a fire beginning to burn in her heart. One that the ulmuri had tried to extinguish. Sunset Shimmer doesn’t give up like that. She’s survived everything that Raven, Queen Celestia, and the Heliopolans threw at her. That didn’t beat me. This won’t either.

That’s the Sunset I know and love, Philomena sent, her joy shining through like pure sunlight.

That’s right. And… I love you too, Mena. I… we aren’t going to be beaten like this. Not by Nightcrawler. Not by anyone. We’re going to find a way to win this, aren’t we?

Yes, Philomena sent happily. We will.

Then let’s show everyone why they should never count us out, Sunset sent as she stood up straighter and looked Roseluck in the eyes.

“You’re right,” Sunset said firmly and surely. “We don’t have time to waste.”

“Sunset? Are you crazy?” Lily gasped.

“You heard her,” Daisy added. “You could die.”

“If I don’t do this, I’m dead anyway. I’d rather take the chance than just give up.”

“But…” Daisy began to say, only to be cut off by Sunset lunging forward and hugging her and Lily.

“I’m counting on you girls, just like in Chromos,” she said as she hugged them tighter. “We’re chat-lecti after all.”

Both easterners inhaled softly, before returning Sunset’s hug.

“You’re crazy, you know that, right?” Lily said. “Completely insane.”

“You’re only just noticing?” Sunset laughed.

“Nope,” Daisy added, fighting back her tears. “Knew it the moment we met you. But, you can count on us.”

“I know I can,” Sunset said as she gave her friends one last squeeze, before letting go and walking up to Roseluck. “I’m ready.”

“Then, let’s begin,” Roseluck said with a nod as she put a hand on Sunset’s back and led her to the platform, pointing to a small runic circle at the center of the platform. “You’ll need to stand here.”

“Can’t I sit?” Sunset asked.

“I’m afraid not,” Roseluck said, before handing Sunset the bottle. “Now, be sure to drink the whole thing. Once it settles in your stomach, I can begin.”

“Okay,” Sunset said as she stared at the bottle, an army of petroquines fighting in her guts.

Taking a deep breath, she popped the cork off the bottle. Then, closing her eyes, she began to drink.

The moment the liquid hit her tongue, she had to fight every instinct she had to avoid spitting the noxious concoction out.

It was vile, like the smell of black river mud mixed with an outhouse that hadn’t been cleaned in too long, transformed into a flavor, but also bitingly bitter like over-brewed tea. The liquid itself stuck to her teeth and gums, slimy and sticky at the same time, pricking every inch of flesh like a million biting ants.

Focusing all her willpower, she fought down the noxious brew.

“T-that... that was...” The bottle fell from her hands, bouncing and rolling harmlessly across the floor. Her stomach rebelled angrily, and she clutched it miserably. “I think I’m gonna be sick.”

“Don’t!” Roseluck rushed over, using one hand to straighten her back and the other to rub it. “Just breathe through your nose. In. Then out. In. Then out.”

Sunset wordlessly followed Roseluck’s instructions, knowing that if she didn’t she’d waste the purgative.

“Good. Now widen your stance. Here, I’ll show you. Okay, now cross your arms, over your stomach, and grab your elbows. Like that, good, good. Hold that pose. It should help you maintain your balance.”

Once Sunset was in position, she turned to the others. “Daisy, Lily, this is where you come in. You need to stand where she can see you, but do not cross the outer ring. Am I understood?”

Both nodded in unison. “Yes, Your Grace.”

“Is there anything else we can do?” Lily asked.

“Encourage her not to give up.” She looked to Philomena. “You too, and keep your bond open. Sunset will need you now, more than ever.”

Philomena let out a short, sharp shriek as she sent feelings of reassurance to Sunset.

Roseluck placed the bucket before Sunset, moving between the outermost rings. “Are you ready?”

Sunset nodded, tightening her grip.

Then, taking a deep breath, Roseluck began to dance between the two outermost rune rings.

At first, Sunset didn’t feel anything.

Then Roseluck completed her first lap, and the archduchess’s flame ignited and spread through the runes.

And suddenly, Sunset’s world vanished.

Something new took its place. Something that wiped clean everything else, everything that had come before, and everything that existed mere seconds ago. A single, overwhelming sensation.

Pain.

Pure.

Raw.

Sharp.

Dull.

Throbbing.

Stabbing.

Piercing.

Freezing.

Burning.

Obliterating.

Pain.

Nothing before, not even in her ulmuri-induced visions, measured up to even a fraction of what was coursing through the entirety of her being. It crawled in her flesh. It gnawed at her bones. It flayed off her skin.

She wanted to scream.

She wanted it more than anything.

To fall, and crumple, and wail in agony.

But she knew the moment she moved was the moment she died.

She clenched her jaw, until it felt like her teeth were shifting in the bones. She clutched her elbows, so hard she was sure it would leave deep, ugly bruises. She searched desperately for any other sensation other than this. Even pain, so long as it was of her own making.

The second wave crashed into her.

She wanted to die.

She wanted General Sentry to burst in and shoot her. The oblivion of death was preferable to this.

From someplace far away, she heard Philomena’s agonized screech, as they shared in the pain. She could close their link. Spare her the torment.

But she couldn’t.

Philomena was one of the only things that kept her will from breaking.

If she gave in, they both died.

The third wave slammed into her, and she had to suck in a breath between her teeth to avoid doubling over.

Through blurred, darkening vision, she saw the vague shapes of her friends. Her chat-lecti.

They were there. Saying something. But what?

She tried to focus on her meditations. Clear her mind enough to hear them.

But she couldn’t.

Another wave. Her knees trembled. The muscles in her thighs shook.

She wasn’t sure how they didn’t buckle. All she knew was the pain, and that she was still, somehow, alive.

Her tears seemed paltry by comparison, yet they worsened her torture nonetheless. Blazing hot, stinging acidic. Rubbing the skin raw with salt.

She couldn’t fail.

She had to survive.

For her friends. Her family. Her chat-lecti.

For Roseluck, Raven, and the Queen.

For Golden Tree.

For her oath-sisters.

For Philomena.

Another wave hit.

She tasted blood. The stink of copper, and the taste of iron. Bit her cheek, cracked tooth, she didn’t know where it came from and it didn’t matter.

Another wave.

She couldn’t do this.

She was going to fail.

She was going to die.

It was too much.

And she was going to die.

She had to endure.

But it was too much, and she was going to die.

Another wave.

Philomena shrieked.

Something happened.

Something pulsed.

Had she died?

No. The pain. Still there. Still alive. Somehow. Don’t ask. Just be glad.

A pulse. Again.

Another wave.

A pulse again. Closer. Closer. Closer now.

It felt familiar. She thought she remembered it. Did she?

Again.

Another.

She remembered.

Nitor.

Nitor’s pulse. The world’s heart.

She didn’t reach. She called out.

It answered, drawing closer. Again, again, again, each pulse nearer than the last.

Slowly, it crept towards her, its movements shy and uncertain.

She wanted to grab it. Snatch it for herself and never, ever, ever let go.

Somehow, she didn’t.

Another wave.

Whimpers spilled down her throat.

Again. Nitor pulsed again.

And she felt it touch her.

Through her feet. Up her legs. Blooming into the veins, bringing relief and comfort.

She didn’t claim.

She didn’t control.

She let it flow into her.

“Sunset, you can do it!” “Don’t give up.” Sunset, hold it together!

Sunset could hear her friends’ voices and Philomena’s sending as the heart’s energy suffused her entire being, holding the agony of the purification in check. The pain slowly began to concentrate in her gut, spiking her nausea to a new level.

“Sunset, it’s done! You can move!” She heard Roseluck shout from somewhere far away, “You need to vomit the corruption out now!”

Sunset didn’t need any prompting.

She fell to her hands and knees and vomited into the bucket.

As bad as the purgative was going down, it was worse coming out.

One heave was followed by another as she continued to expel the noxious sludge in her stomach.

Then, it was over.

Sunset stayed in place, gasping for breath as the last of her heaving finally subsided.

Spitting out the last of the purgative from her mouth, Sunset slowly opened her eyes. The bucket below her was filled with a thick, light toxic blue sludge that smelled of rotten eggs and putrid meat. She blinked once, and swore it moved, trying to reach back towards her.

The sound of flapping wings and running feet reached her ears as she threw herself backwards and away from the noisome liquid.

“Everyone, stay back!” Roseluck shouted. “That’s active Chaos-taint!”

Sunset could feel Philomena’s panic as she stalled in mid-air at the same moment that the sound of two of the runners stopped. The next thing she knew, Roseluck placed a thick metal lid down on the bucket. Two tendrils of living flame lashed down, welding the bucket shut.

“Okay, it’s safe. For now,” Roseluck said with a sigh.

Then she took a couple steps forward, dropped down and pulled Sunset into a hug.

Philomena, Lily and Daisy took that as permission to join in, and they swarmed her, their voices and sendings mixing together into a cacophony of worried, comforting white noise.

We… we did it, Mena, Sunset sent, her thoughts and body weak and trembling after enduring the purgative.

We did, Philomena sent. Let’s not ever do that again.

Agreed, Sunset sent as she slowly melted into her friend’s embrace.

Author's Note:

Y'know, sometimes I wonder if there's something wrong with me, considering the nightmarish things I come up with. Then I look out at the world, see all the crap going on, and think to myself "No, this is just my way of coping."

Anyhow, I've been looking forward to dropping this little bit of information on exactly what they gave Sunset. A bit of background. ul'muri was inspired by the real world physchotropic compound ayahuasca. Like ul'muri, ayahuasca is produced through a combination of two separate plants to create a potent hallucinogen. Producing ul'muri takes a long time, specifically the tath'muri component. The fungus must be grown on the corpse of a sentient being, and can take a decade to produce the fruiting bodies needed to make ul'muri. Elderly kirintal customarily allow their bodies to be used to grow the fungus after they pass, allowing their bodies to be of use to their community one last time.

Also, I want everyone to welcome our new editor Incandesca.

PreviousChapters Next