• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,955 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,955

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude 5 - The Trials - The Price of Salvation

Raven could feel the tension in the air as she fully opened her link with Dylis, dividing her mind between her office and the grove. She could feel his fear. His sorrow. And most powerfully, his anger. The rest of the phoenixes were also with him, and they weren’t in a much better state.

“[And you’re sure about the identity of the body?]” Dylis finally asked.

“[Yes,]” Vestian said.

“[Where?]” Amara asked.

“[The Eyes tracked her to an old servant’s dormitory in the inner ring. Unfortunately, by the time they arrived, she was already dead. By her own deathshard.]”

Flames licked across every other phoenix present as they fluffed up their feathers angrily.

“[So it was Nightcrawler,]” Akari hissed. “[Have you found anything else?]”

“[When the Eyes searched the premises, they found the fireplace had been recently used, and had the ashen remains of several documents as well as some ceramic, alchemical vials. Our best guess is the latter used to have the poison they used on the little miss.]”

“[Were you able to recover anything?]” Amara asked, her tone sharp with worry.

“[Nothing but burnt residue,]” Vestian replied. “[By the look of it, she used balefire. We’ve sent the remains to the fire-callers, but I doubt they’re going to find much of anything.]”

Amara slumped down as a series of pained trills came from her throat.

“[Dreaming darkness, we needed those,]” Amara finally said, nearly trembling with rage. “[Whatever this stuff is, I’m sure it’s Chaos-alchemically enhanced. Philomena’s completely cut off from Sunset through their link, but she’s still experiencing everything Sunset is.]”

Amara paused as she fought to compose herself.

“[And whatever’s happening in her mind, it’s affecting her body. She’s got cuts and bruises just appearing out of nowhere.]”

Worse and worse, Dylis sent, his frustration mounting.

It seems that wherever Nighcrawler has been hiding, he learned more than a few new tricks, Raven sent ruefully. And planned this out too well. Just how many more of his spies and agents has he snuck into our cities?

A new feeling of distress came from Dylis through their link.

Raven, please don’t start thinking like that. It's that sort of paranoia…

…that led Steel to where he is today, Raven sent with a sad sigh and a feeling of defeat as she took off her glasses, pressed her forehead into the palms of her hands and leaned her elbows on the surface of her desk. Fire and light, we needed to take her alive. Nightcrawler really outplayed us this time.

There’s always a solution to the puzzle, Dylis sent firmly with a feeling of sympathy. You should know that better than anyone.

This one’s probably one of the hardest we’ve faced in decades though.

It hasn’t stopped us before. And it’s not going to stop us now.

True. We know Windy Skies was part of the Endless Decay, or she wouldn't be able to manifest a deathshard. And the fact that she used it to kill herself means that Nightcrawler wanted us to know that he was behind it.

If she was the one to kill the other three, then she was the one getting orders from the Cult, Dylis added.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t get us any closer to a solution. We need information. Repairing the documents is impossible. The balefire made sure of that. And without knowing what Sunset’s been given, the only ones who could cure her are Queens Celestia and Lumina.

Moving her is out of the question though, Dylis sent frustratedly. The flight to Heliopolis would take hours, even if Spitfire carried her. And it's the middle of the night. Without the sun, Nighcrawler could ambush us if we try to get her back to Mt. Liakeed.

So it all comes back to identifying the poison. Without that, we’re stuck. But we can’t get information like that out of burnt paper, alchemical cinders, or a corpse.

Raven’s head shot out of her hands as a chill of dread ran down both her and Dylis’s backs simultaneously.

We can’t get the info out of a corpse… Dylis sent as his chest tightened.

…but a master shadow-wielder could, Raven concluded.

Raven could feel Dylis’s apprehension through their bond. Apprehension that she shared.

We both know who you’re thinking of, and I’m going to tell you right now that this is a terrible idea. For more reasons than I want to count.

It is. Raven rose from her desk and began to make her way to one of the side rooms, locking the door behind her. But unless we can find another necromancer with the kind of skills she and her kind have, we don’t have any other option.

I hate that I have to suggest this, but we could always ask a linnorm.

They’d be even less likely to help than she is, Raven sent as she began to remove her formal clothing to reveal a suit of grey, skin-tight Sky-striker armor underneath.

I know, but I had to present the other option. Even if it really isn’t an option, Dylis sent, before turning his attention back to the other phoenixes, who had been sitting patiently while he and Raven had conversed.

“[Akari.. Amara. I need to speak with Vestian and Steel privately. We’re about to have an Eclipse-Blue Five level conversation,]” Dylis said gravely.

Both Akari and Amara let out startled chirps, shuffling nervously on the branches.

“[You heard Dylis,]” Vestian said, his tone just as hard as Dylis’s. “[Leave. Now.]”

Neither of them needed any more prompting as they took to the air, flying away as swiftly as their wings could carry them. Once they were away, Raven cast a sound dampening privacy spell with a one handed spell-dance, allowing the magic to manifest through Dylis.

“[I have a feeling we’re not going to like this,]” Vestian said as he fixed Dylis’s eyes with his own.

“[Probably only a little less than I do,]” Dylis said. “[First, I need to know where the bodies of the four cultists are.]”

“[Waiting to be disposed of in the barracks,]” Vestian said, narrowing his eyes suspiciously. “[Why?]”

“[I need you to bring me their heads as quickly as you can. Make sure they remain as undamaged as possible.]”

There was a moment of silence as Vestian stared at Dylis, though Raven could tell that he was really scrutinizing her. She could almost feel the debate going on in Vestian and Steel’s shared mind as they carved her request apart and examined each piece.

“[Raven, I can’t let you do what you’re about to do,]” Vestian finally said. “[It’s blasphemy. And, it's too dangerous, even for you.]”

“[Steel, if we’re going to save Sunset, this is the only way.]”

Vestian let out a frustrated hiss and shifted on his perch.

“[Ask the kirintal. The stags are capable of necromancy. And since it’s their fault you had to bring Sunset, they can fix the situation they created.]”

Dylis shook his head.

“[The only necromancers among the kitinal that can do what we need are Magistrates who have reached and passed the Circle of Compassion. And we can’t reach them for the same reason we can’t get Sunset back to Heliopolis.]”

“[Then we let her die. Better to lose a new phoenix-born who hasn’t come into power than to risk you.]”

Vestian was unphased by Dylis’s hiss of anger, and continued to glare daggers at his brother.

“[Do not make light of that, Steel. Sunset dying would be a national tragedy. Or have you forgotten Sweet Stuff and Lettie.]”

“[Don’t you dare bring her up against me, Raven Inkwell,]” Vestian said in a low, dangerous voice as flames licked across his body. “[Do you think I want to see any phoenix-born die? Don’t you think that I would love nothing more than to track down Nightcrawler and introduce him to osteophage gas for what he’s done? But I’m looking at this rationally. Sunset’s death will be tragic, but we’ll recover. But if you die too, it would break Solaria. Not only will we be left without the voice and hand of Celestia, we will be left without one of the founders of our nation. And even if you succeed, what will you have to give in order to get the information we need?]”

“[This isn’t a debate, General Sentry,]” Dylis said firmly. “[As Seneschal of Her Majesty, Queen Celestia, and hand and voice of the throne, I am ordering you to bring me the intact heads of the four cultists as swiftly as possible. Do I make myself clear?]”

Vestian silently seethed, matching Dylis’s glare with one of his own. Rolling the bone she’d just rolled was risky. Steel could refuse to obey, which would delay her even more. And would likely result in Steel reporting to the queen what she had planned to do. Something that would assuredly result in her being reprimanded, not Steel. And no matter what, was going to drive the wedge deeper between them. But she couldn’t waste time. Not with Sunset’s life on the line.

“[As you wish, Lady Inkwell,]” Vestian finally said with a clipped, professional tone as he stood at attention. “[However, I will be accompanying you on this excursion.]”

“[No, Steel. Only one of us can go.]”

“[Then let it be us. The sun-blades can survive under Spitfire’s command if things go wrong.]”

“[No. Aside from the animosity between you and her people, it has to be Raven,]” Dylis said firmly, shaking his head. “[She’s the only one who can invoke the Law of Royal Parlay.]”

“[The what? You’re going to try using that?]” Vestian asked incredulously. “[What makes you think that they’ll honor the Law?]”

“[The same reason I know we would honor it should the Traitor’s speaker somehow arrive on our borders. It is the Empress’s Law, and all of those who live in Harmony’s embrace are bound to it.]”

Silence filled the warm autumn night as both Dylis and Vestian glared at one another.

“[We don’t like this.]”

“[Neither do we, but we’re not going to lose another phoenix-born. Not like this.]”

Neither phoenix spoke for a long moment as a cold night wind blew through the grove, its mournful fluttering shattering the silence that hung over it like a funeral shroud.

“[Just be sure to come back,]” Vestian finally said, his tone becoming dangerously icy. “[We’ve had to avenge one phoenix-born. We don’t want to have to avenge two more.]”

*****

Far from Rose’s Blossom, the moonlight was shining down on a certain stretch of particularly thick woodland. This notorious stretch of woodland was situated in a deep ravine between two isolated spines of the Dawning Mountains. The forest’s dire reputation had, over the years, caused the local sun-gazers to abandon the roads that strayed too close to its borders. Within the wood, the shadows clung to the trees in a peculiar way, as though the understory was resentful of either the light or darkness. Briars and brambles clogged much of the understory, making travel harrowing to nigh impossible if one didn’t stick to the game trails.

But more than either of these things, very air felt sick. Any who entered the wood found a strange weakness infecting them, as though the very breath was being pulled from their throats. Those who spent too long in the wood found themselves choking on the very air. Those that survived a trip into the wood were more prone to disease for days after leaving. For all these reasons, the region earned the name Plaguewood.

There was a sudden rustling of the branches and a gust of wind, as though something unseen were passing through a gap in the canopy at high speed. The gust was followed by a light impact on the ground, followed by the rippling of a heat mirage parting to reveal Raven. Unlike her usual attire, she wore simple traveler’s clothes over her sky-striker armor along with a pair of flight goggles instead of her glasses. On her belt was a small pouch that held four, apple sized objects, while in her right hand was a tall stick bearing the ancient Harmonian banner, one of a crystalline tree with nine glowing lights on the tips of its branches.

No turning back now, Raven sent to Dylis as she removed her goggles, slipping them down around her neck and replacing them with her glasses. Are you ready?

No, Dylis sent curtly, his perspective showing a devastated Roseluck, Amara and Philomena all sitting by Sunset’s bedside, the latter perching by her bondmate’s head, resting her chin on Sunset’s throat. Sunset herself was growing pale, along with a myriad of cuts, bruises and scrapes showing marring her flesh. But, as soon as you find what we need, I’ll tell Roseluck.

Good. Now we just need to hope that she’s willing to listen.

Dylis only sent a feeling of concern and support in return.

Taking a deep, bracing breath, Raven twirled her left finger in the air, summoning a will-o-wisp, which floated up above her to light her path. Then, she headed into the Plaguewood.

Raven found her nerves beginning to twitch as she penetrated deeper and deeper into the woodland. While she’d never been to the Plaguewood before, she had been to other areas like it before. That familiarity did little to make the experience pleasant. There was an inexplicable sense of claustrophobia and disorientation, as if the trees were both closing in on her and shifting from moment to moment around her, making it impossible to get her bearings. There was also a sense of dread that permeated the trees. A primordial fear as though the light of her will-o-wisp was the only thing holding back some fel creature from lunging from the dark to kill her.

Unlike the local sun-gazers, she knew the source of the malaise that permeated the wood. She inadvertently felt her hand tightening on the pole of her banner, wishing that it was her battle amp Dusk Requiem.

But she’d left the enchanted bec-de-corbin back in Rose’s Blossom. Along with every other amp she could have brought to defend herself.

Such was the Law of Royal Parlay.

No weapons of any sort.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl as she walked, her ears straining to pick up the faintest sound amongst the trees. There was one in particular that she was waiting for. One that would tell her that the master of the Plaguewood was near.

From across their link, Dylis sent feelings of comfort and encouragement, while keeping otherwise silent. Both of them knew she couldn’t afford to be distracted.

And then, off in the trees, she heard it.

A faint hissing sound like the movement of a great serpent, growing louder by the moment.

Stopping, Raven turned to face the direction of the sound.

Only for it to fade away and stop.

“[You are foolish to come here, Tyrant-spawn.]”

Raven forced herself not to react to the speaker who was now somehow off in the trees behind her. More disconcerting was the sound of their voice, which reminded her of wood splintering, branches cracking in a strong wind, and the rustle of dead, dried leaves. Despite the unnerving qualities of the sound, the language itself was regal, conveying a sense of dignity and authority.

Turning around slowly, Raven faced the direction of the speaker and bowed deeply.

“[Greetings, Great Träklo, Master of Plaguewood. I am Raven Inkwell, hand and voice of Queen Celestia,]” Raven said respectfully, using the speaker’s own language. “[By the ancient Law of Empress Harmony, forever may she reign, I seek an audience with the one who speaks for the Shadow.]”

“[I know who you are, Tyrant-spawn. And I care not why you have come. You have trespassed in my domain. I should kill you where you stand for your impertinence.]”

“[And yet, you will not. By the Law, those who speak for the Trinity may seek audience with their counterparts among their master’s siblings, and shall be granted safe passage to do so. You, who serve the Shadow are bound to this Law, just as all of Nitor is.]”

A low, threatening growl came from Träklo. Moments later, Raven could feel her breathing becoming more difficult.

“[You would violate Harmony’s Law?]” Raven asked, keeping her tone as firm and strong as possible despite how hard it was to draw in life giving air. “[I come under the banner of Harmony. I am unarmed, and seek parlay with she who is speaks for the Shadow, as is my right as the hand and voice of Queen Celestia. I thought better of you and your kind, Träklo.]”

Raven suddenly found drawing breath became easier, as though whatever force had been drawing it from her ceased. She still felt weaker, but the worst of it had passed.

“[You play a dangerous game, voice and hand of the Tyrant,]” Träklo voice growled from behind her. “[And for what reason do you seek my Master’s beloved?]”

“[My reasons are not yours to question,]” Raven said, her tone respectful yet forceful as she rose from her bow and turned to face the direction of Träklo’s voice. “[The longer you delay me, the greater the chance that the agents of Grogar and D’compose will triumph in their machinations. You and your kind swear allegiance to the Empress and are tasked with guarding this world against Chaos. I call on you to fulfill that duty, and provide me with the audience I seek.]”

Another low growl like the sound of a falling tree rumbled through the air as a pair of enormous, glowing green eyes stared down at her balefully from the shadows of the trees. Moments later, a reptilian head emerged from the gloom, its snout long and narrow, and a pair of long, back-curving antlers that looked like the gnarled branches of a tree adorning it like a crown. The creature’s scales resembled the coarse bark of an ancient pine tree, while a mane of long, scraggly, lichen-like gray hair ran from between its horns down to the base of its long, serpentine neck.

Next to emerge was a pair of powerfully muscled limbs, attached to a stocky, serpentine body. Each of the limb’s four fingers ended in long, deadly looking talons that resembled polished wood, which Träklo used to aid in drawing himself out into the light of Raven’s will-o-wisp. Like his head and neck, his back was covered in the same barklike scales, while his belly resembled the scutes of a great snake made of polished wood. Patches of moss and lichen clung to his back in random spots, making his body resemble an enormous fallen tree trunk.

In total, she guessed he was close to twelve meters long, three of which consisted of his neck and head.

A head that was now staring directly at her less than a meter from her face.

“[You are wily, speaker of the Tyrant,]” the great forest linnorm growled. Raven could smell the stink of rotting wood and leaves on his breath as she got a far more intimate look at his dozens of ten centimeter long ziphodont teeth. “[You shall have your audience. But if your reasons do not satisfy my Master’s beloved, know that I will be claiming your life as recompensation for the insult. Am I understood?]”

“[Yes,]” Raven said as she unflinchingly met the linnorm’s glare.

“[Very well,]” Träklo said. Fast as a striking snake, the linnorm wrapped his right hand around Raven’s torso, lifting her from the ground and pinning her arms to her side, along with the banner she was carrying. “[You will be deprived of your senses while we make the journey. I will not have you finding your way back to where my sacred communion with the Shadows occurs, should you live.]”

Raven could feel Träklo calling on his magic. As he did, a cloud of shadows formed around her, not only cutting off all light from reaching her, but all sound as well. Then, there was a sudden feeling of inertia as the linnorm began to move.

Looks like we made it through the easy part, Dylis sent.

Now comes the real test, Raven sent, opening her link with Dylis to take comfort in his presence.

*****

The veil of shadows vanished like a puff of smoke, leaving Raven temporarily disoriented as sight and sound returned to her. Even with the shroud gone, she could barely see anything outside the dim light of her living flame’s glow, its luminance barely providing enough light for her to see more than a meter from around her.

There was one other source of light in the chamber: a massive red crystal that gave off a soft internal glow. From the dim light it was producing, Raven could see that at the base of the crystal, there was an elaborate, rune-filled triangle carved into the stone. But in such feeble light, she couldn’t see much else.

Raven’s stomach lurched as Träklo gently set her down.

“[Stay where you are,]” the linnorm growled. “[Your filthy light taints this holy place. I don’t want you polluting it any more than nescessary.]”

Raven didn’t reply, only bowed her head respectfully.

With a dismissive harrumph, Träklo slithered towards the crystal. Soon, the linnorm coiled himself around it, blocking its feeble light and leaving her standing in near total darkness.

Through their bond, she could feel Dylis’s worry as he saw the world through her eyes. She sent him a feeling of reassurance in response, though it was almost as much for her benefit as it was his.

She could feel a cold chill run through her body as the glow grew strong enough to become visible from between Träklo’s coils, then erupt into a swirling maelstrom of shadowy energy that rapidly spread outwards to engulf the entire cavern.

Instinctively, Raven raised an arm and turned her head away to protect her face as the storm of shadow energy washed over her.

Then, there was a new presence in the cavern. One hidden from her view by the linnorm, yet palpable all the same. Every one of Raven’s instincts was roaring to her that she was in grave danger. That she needed to flee whatever it was that was hidden by those coils

She fought down the feeling while opening her bond more fully, allowing Dylis’s presence to calm her nerves.

“[I am sorry for calling upon you so suddenly, my lady,]” Träklo said. Unlike when he had spoken to her, his tone was one of deep respect and deference. “[The Tyrant’s speaker has invoked the Law of Royal Parlay, and has requested an audience.]”

Silence hung in the air for a few moments.

“[She would not. Only that it was a matter for you alone, and that involves the others of her ilk.]”

Another pause.

“[As you wish. I will be nearby should you need me.]”

“[Of course. By your leave, my lady.]”

Slowly, Träklo unwound himself, and began to slither towards Raven.

“[She will hear you,]” he said with a dismissive snort. “[Hope that she finds your request worthwhile.]”

Raven didn’t reply to the linnorm as he exited the shadow maelstrom. Mentally bracing herself, she approached the crystal.

And the woman that was now standing near it.

She was about a head shorter than Raven, with grayish heliotrope skin, long, pale arctic blue hair worn loose and free flowing, and piercing arctic blue eyes. She was dressed in a set of silver, blue and violet arcanist robes in a style that Raven had seen in the old Harmonia archives, one that was fashionable nearly five thousand years before the Spintering, along with a blue crystalline staff of similarly archaic design.

She might have been able to pass for any other mortal being, were it not for one highly disconcerting feature.

She bore no shadows anywhere on her body. Not under her hair. On the folds of her robes. Under her chin. Even the shadow she should have cast on the ground in the light of the crystal was completely absent. There was only flat color, making her difficult to look at due to appearing to have no dimension to her. Like she was some sort of stained glass image come to life.

Despite the uncanny nature of her visage, the woman was both hauntingly beautiful and impossibly regal, carrying herself with a self-assurance that rivaled Raven’s own.

Once she was within four meters of the woman, Raven stopped and bowed deeply to her.

The other woman didn’t return the gesture, instead choosing to simply stare impassively as Raven slowly rose.

Raven ignored the slight, raising the banner she was carrying, bringing the butt down onto the floor. The harsh crack of metal on stone shattered the silence of the cavern as the spike punched into the ground, planting the banner in place.

“In Harmony’s name, I, Raven Inkwell, hand and voice of Queen Celestia, and highest of the phoenix-born, invoke the Law of Royal Parlay. I solemnly swear on the crown of the Queen to abide by the Law. For the remainder of the night, I promise no war. Only peace.”

Raising her staff slightly, the woman brought the butt down as well, the sound of the crystal piercing stone answering Raven’s own. Then, releasing her hold on the staff, the woman lifted her hands and began to sign.

“In Harmony’s name, I, Radiant Hope, herald and hand of King Sombra, and mind of the umbrum, acknowledge the Law of Royal Parlay. I swear on the blade of my King that the Law shall be observed. So long as no war is brought to this place, I will only give peace.”

No sooner did she finish signing her acquiescence to the Law, than the atmosphere in the room around Radiant Hope felt suddenly more dangerous than before.

“Now that we have dispensed with the pleasantries, what has happened to the child?” Hope signed, fixing Raven with a glare that would have wilted a lesser person to a husk on the spot.

Raven wished she was surprised by Radiant Hope’s question, but was not.

“I see you are well informed as ever, mind of the umbrum. The Cult of Endless Decay has managed to administer an alchemically empowered hallucinogen to Sunset. The agents that poisoned her have taken their own lives, and destroyed all of the evidence we need to find a cure through the use of balefire. Now, her life is burning out, and will soon be extinguished.”

Radiant Hope’s eyes flicked over Raven, briefly coming to rest on the bag on her hip. She could see the gears turning in the umbrum’s mind.

“I can provide you what you seek. But my aid comes at a price.”

“I expected no less. I will hear your request, but do not promise anything,” Raven said as evenly as possible. “Know that I can not and will not place Solaria at risk, even for the life of the one I aim to save.”

“You risk Solaria by coming here, Tyrant’s voice. You know that almost as well as the butcher does,” Radiant Hope signed, turning away and walking up to the crystal. Facing Raven again, she continued. “My price is twofold. The first is a sacrifice from you. The spells that I must cast require great amounts of life-energy. You will provide it.”

“Fear not, for you will live. I would not violate the Law by taking enough to kill you. Nor will I give the Tyrant’s butcher a reason to unleash his bloodlust upon my people.”

“And the second?”

Radiant Hope turned to the crystal, placing her hand on its surface, staring into its facets for a long moment. Returning her attention to Raven, she signed, “There are things in motion beyond the borders of your Tyrant’s cage. Things that could one day threaten the Empress’s plans, maybe even Nitor itself. The second price I demand for my aid is a promise. A promise that when the time comes, you will provide one your kind of my choosing to aid us in preventing such a disaster.”

Raven, Dylis sent, forcing Raven to divide her attention, Sunset is getting worse. I’m not sure how much longer she’s got.

Raven found herself in two places. The cave she was actually in, and the room where Dylis, Amara and Roseluck were watching over the convalescing form of Sunset. Since the last time she saw her, Sunset had grown even paler, and now bore numerous wounds, including the remnants of a jagged cut to her jaw that Roseluck had clearly treated with magic.

“Which of us do you want?” I cannot focus on that now, Raven sent, her tone apologetic. Radiant Hope has us in a corner.

I understand, Dylis sent. But please, hurry.

“Only when the bones land will I know. It may be you. It may be the butcher. The coward. The marauder. The child. Or one of you yet to be born.”

“You know I cannot give such a promise, mind of the umbrum,” Raven said with a shake of her head. “Not without guarantees on your part.”

“You seek to bargain? Now? Perhaps I misjudged you, Tyrant’s speaker. You may actually be worthy of your role. Very well, what assurances do you seek?”

“First: that you do not use this promise as a means to increase your incursions into Solaria. I will not permit your kind to prey upon my people because of my debt to you. This promise will only be for aid against this impending threat of which you speak. Otherwise, nothing changes between us.”

Raven’s keen eyes saw the slightest phantom of a smile on Radiant Hope’s face.

“I see no reason to deny you this. This matter is between us and us alone. So long as you do not escalate, neither shall we.”

“The second guarantee is that whoever you chose will come back to Solaria alive.”

Radiant Hope stared at her for a few moments, her expression completely unreadable, even to Raven.

“You are in no position to make such a demand, for such a promise can never be given. If that is your stipulation, then you will receive nothing from me.”

“Mind of the umbrum, you honestly can’t expect me to make such a promise,” Raven said as she folded her arms behind her back. “Especially one so ill defined. You want me to give you the life of one of my fellow phoenix-born for something so nebulous as a future threat to Nitor? Chaos claws at the Empress's defenses every moment. What makes the threat you speak of so much more dire? I will not betray my duty to Solaria and Queen Celestia by giving you such a thing.”

Radiant Hope’s expression shifted to an irritated frown.

“You are as short-sighted as the Tyrant, child. Your duty, as you put it, is to Harmony and Nitor. Just as is every one of us. The bones will fall as they fall, by the hand of the one who’s fate it decides. I can no more control it than you.”

“And what assurance do I have that you aren’t simply sending one of my family to their death?”

“You have none. And you will get none. You are asking me to save a life. I am merely asking for the use of a life in return. A life for a life, to ensure that all life can thrive. That is the pact I offer. If the price is beyond what you can afford, then you need not pay it.”

This really isn’t a choice, is it? Raven sent, her chest feeling tight as she unclasped her hands and reached for the pouch on her belt.

No, I suppose not, Dylis sent, their link fully opening. The Queen won’t be happy about this.

I’ll deal with that when the time comes, Raven sent as she untied the knot holding her pouch to her hip, saying “Very well. I accept your terms, mind of the umbrum. Now, please, I need to know how they’ve done what they’ve done.”

“Then it is agreed,” Radiant Hope signed as the hem of her robes transformed into a tendril of shadows that slithered across the ground and extended itself towards Raven. “Give them here, and we’ll see what secrets they hold.”

Opening the bag, Raven formed tendrils of her own with her living flame, pulling the apple-sized, severed heads of the cultists out. With a flick of her wrist, she undid the enchantment shrinking them. Once returned to their normal size, she extended her tendrils to the one created by Radiant Hope.

No sooner did Radiant Hope take the severed heads, than a sudden wave of pain and fatigue washed over Raven. Doubling over and sucking in her breath through her teeth, she looked at the umbrum, who had her hand outstretched and wreathed in shadow as she siphoned off the life energy she needed to power her magic.

Raven nearly doubled over in pain as the fatigue grew worse, her eyes barely able to remain open. Then, the pain was gone, though the weakness remained.

Dylis…

I’m here, Dylis sent, waves of worry for her coming through their bond. I’ll get Amara to heal us.

Good. Make sure Roseluck is ready when Hope gets what we need.

Through the link, Raven knew Dylis was telling Amara to begin to cast healing magic on him. Roseluck wanted to know what was happening, only for Dylis to tell her that it was classified. And that Raven was acquiring the knowledge to save Sunset, and that she had been hurt in doing so. She could see Roseluck wanting to push, but relented under Dylis’s glare.

As the exchange between Dylis, Roseluck and Amara was taking place, Raven was simultaneously focused on what was transpiring in the cavern. Radiant Hope had suspended the severed heads by their hair with the shadow tendril. Lifting her right hand, she reached out and touched each of the heads in turn. As she did, shadows began to writhe around each.

Then, from the stumps of their necks, a stream of liquid shadows began to pour onto the cavern’s floor. The pools of shadow seethed for a few moments, before surging upward, forming into shadowy duplicates of the four dead cultists.

“[Echoes of the dead, shades of memory and remnants of life lost,]” Radiant Hope signed. “[I am Lady Radiant Hope, and you will answer my questions.]”

Author's Note:

Oh, what's this? One of the figures from Interlude 3 - The Shadows Have Eyes finally makes her appearance? Yup. Meet Raven's umbrum counterpart, Radiant Hope. Hopefully (heh) I managed to convey just how terrifying Hope is, even to Raven.

In the original draft of this chapter, I hadn't intended to use Radiant Hope. Instead, Raven and Steel were going to capture Windy Skies and interrogate her. But then I realized that given how competent I've been portraying Nightcrawler, that wouldn't do because he wouldn't leave such a loose end if the plan worked. And considering that the Cultists embrace death, it only made sense that they'd destroy the evidence, then off themselves to take the knowledge with them. Nightcrawler just didn't account for Raven's willingness to contact the shadow-stalkers to get the information they needed.

And, we also meet our first linnorm. Of the different types, forests are roughly mid-tier in power. Most prefer the illusion aspect of shadow-magic, but learn some shadow-manipulation to round out their repertoire. They avoid the necromancy and mind-controling elements of shadow-magic, as they consider such things distasteful. A forest linnorm's breath is high velocity blast of razor-sharp moss spores. Being hit by the blast is similar to being caught in a high-speed dust-storm, shredding vulnerable flesh with the high-velocity grit and clogging one's breathing holes. These spores end up embedded in any exposed flesh hit by the blast, digging in and germinating. If not burnt off, they will rapidly encase the victim in a layer of moss in a matter of minutes, immobilizing and suffocating them. A forest's fangs also deliver these noisome spores with every bite.

Living in sun-gazer territory, Träklo keeps a low profile, rarely leaving the Plaguewood. Few of the locals know about is presence, since they avoid his home. Both Raven and Steel are aware of him, and keep watch on the region in case it appears he's starting to grow bold enough to attack the local towns. If Raven or Steel went after Träklo with a full battle setup geared towards fighting him, they'd have a 60-70% chance of winning, though they'd probably be pretty badly banged up afterwards. With a full linnorm hunting party, they'd assuredly win, though there would be heavy casualties on their side. Since he's more or less content to keep to himself, they're willing to tolerate his presence. For now.

Anyhow, the next month or two of work is looking to be pretty draining, so I'll work on Rising when I get the chance.

PreviousChapters Next