• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,983 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,983

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 2 - The Choosing - Burn Bright Like A Flame

Tap tap tap.

Sunset was pulled out of the void of slumber by a strange tapping on the soul-gem embedded in her forehead. Whining and scrunching her face at the unpleasant sensation, she pulled her blankets tighter around her body and curled up, trying to ignore the irritation in favor of savoring the cozy warmth of the quilt. With a happy sigh, she settled back into her bed, not to go back to sleep, but simply enjoy the warm, wool cocoon she’d wrapped herself in.

Tap tap tap.

There it was again. That same unpleasant tapping. With an angry groan, Sunset slowly cracked open her eyes, intent on figuring out whatever was poking her. And, if possible, give it an introduction to the wall. At high speed.

Slowly, the world came into focus as she dragged her eyelids open at glacial speed, only to come face to face with the source of the irritation. Of all the things she could have expected, a pair of bright, gamboge eyes staring out of a light aquamarine face with a noon bright smile only centimeters away from her own hadn’t registered as a possibility. With a startled yelp of alarm, Sunset threw herself backwards, desperate to put some distance between herself and whoever or whatever was staring at her. Yet, in her rush to escape, she managed to tangle herself in her blankets, and went tumbling off the bed and onto the floor.

Sunset’s mind slowly began to fully awaken, process her current situation, and determine what her next few courses of action should be.

“Lyra…” Sunset hissed through her teeth. At the sound of her name, her fellow fire-caller peeked over the edge of the bed, staring down at Sunset with a giant, happy smile plastered on her face, which was partially obscured by a shock of her spiky, two-toned opal and light grey hair.

“Yes?” Lyra asked innocently.

“…tell me…” Sunset growled slowly as she lay on the ground snarled in a knot of blankets, “…have you ever heard the story of ‘the minstrel, the forgemaster’s apprentice, and the sledgehammer’?”

“Hmmm.” Lyra hummed thoughtfully as she tapped her finger on her chin, looking up at the ceiling. “I think you might have mentioned it three weeks ago when I was practicing the bassoon in the dining room. Why do you ask?”

“Just wondering how badly you want a dramatic reenactment.” Sunset grumbled as she finally managed to detangle herself, before flopping back down to the floor. “Because I’m sure Bronze would let me borrow one of his three pound sledges for a few hours if I told him it was for a good cause.”

Laying down on her stomach and resting her chin in her palms, Lyra regarded her fellow orphan, the cheerful smile plastered on her face unwavering at the implied threat, her legs kicking back and forth like a pair of metronomes.

“What do you want Lyra?” Sunset said, her patience beginning to run out. “You didn’t wake me up and nearly scare me to death for nothing.”

“Do you remember what today is, Sunny?” Lyra chirped merrily.

“The day you realize that being happy and cute isn’t going to save you from me when I finally decide I want to get up and start moving again?” Sunset replied calmly as she glared at Lyra through narrowed eyes, “Because that’s what today’s starting to look like.”

“Close, but… no, I don’t think so.” Lyra said with a playful wink. “It's the day that you almost miss your chance to be tested for the phoenix rite because you’re laying on the floor instead of getting ready.”

“What!” Sunset shouted as a surge of adrenaline exploded in her veins, her irritation at Lyra vanishing in an instant. Scrambling wildly, she fought against her blankets in a desperate bid to get to her feet. After a few moments of flailing, Sunset managed to free herself and stand. “Why didn’t you say that earlier! Sacred light, how long until they start?!”

“Four hours, give or take.” Lyra replied.

“Four hours?!” Sunset snarled through clenched teeth as her panic died down. “You made it sound like they were just about to finish or something! Why would you do that?!”

“Eh, seemed like the best way to get you up.” Lyra tittered.

“That doesn’t mean you had to give me a panic attack!” Sunset said, her temper starting to cool off.

“Hey, it worked, didn’t it?” Lyra said as she rolled over onto her back and regarded Sunset “I heard you were up pretty late last night. So, I figured it was this, or I break out the trumpet.”

Sunset glared down at Lyra and her irritatingly cheerful smile. Slowly, her scowl faded away and she chuckled.

“Okay, fine, I’m glad you didn’t go with the trumpet. Mostly because I don’t want to explain to Tender Heart why you mysteriously went missing, and why there was a new, unexplained mound of dirt in the backyard.” Sunset sighed.

“You wouldn’t actually do that, silly. You’d miss me.” Lyra said as she stood up and folded her arms behind her back.

“Debatable.” Sunset said. “Well, I’m up. Did I miss breakfast?”

“Nope.” Lyra replied as she walked past Sunset and headed to the door of the bunk. “Tender Heart should be finished making it right about now.”

“That’s a relief. Alright, I’ll be down in a minute.” Sunset said as she walked up to Lyra. “Oh, and Lyra?”

“Yes?”

Swift as a diving falcon, Sunset brought her right hand up and flicked Lyra’s soul-gem, earning a startled yelp as the other girl brought a hand up to cover the golden crystal.

“Owie. What was that for?” Lyra asked with a pout.

“Don’t you ever wake me up like that again, or I swear to Celestia, I’ll tell Bon Bon about the notebook of mushy poems you wrote about her.” Sunset said with an angry glare as she pointed at Lyra’s face. “Do I make myself clear?”

“You wouldn’t dare!” Lyra gasped with mock horror as she dramatically put her hand on her chest.

“Try me.” Sunset said, her glower still in place.

Neither of them could maintain the charade for long, and soon broke down into a fit of giggles.

*****

With one final tug, Sunset pulled on her boot and stood up from her bed. Breakfast had come and gone, as had her morning chores. After washing up, she’d headed back to her room and gotten dressed in a plain yet functional shirt and trousers, then spent a few minutes brushing the knots out of her long, firey hair. Looking into the mirror attached to the back of the bunk-room’s door, Sunset nodded happily at the girl looking back at her: her long crimson and gold hair was neat and tied back behind her head, her light amber skin was smooth and clean from the scrubbing she’d just given herself, and the elliptical, teal soul-gem embedded in her forehead just above her eyebrows glimmered with the thin layer of oil she’d used to polish its surface. Though she normally didn’t care about appearances, she was surprised how nice she looked when she made the effort.

On any other day, she wouldn't have bothered to spend this much effort making herself look nice. Instead, she’d already have been out the door and heading either to school with the other residents of the orphanage, or making her way to her master Bronze Hammer’s forge to begin her lessons for the day. Or just help him fill orders.

But not today. There was somewhere else she needed to be.

Leaving the bunk, Sunset headed downstairs to find Tender Heart. A few minutes of searching later, she found the matron in the orphanage’s large common room helping a few of the younger children get ready, aided by Lyra and an older sky-runner girl named Flitter.

“Matron?” Sunset said as she approached Tender Heart.

“Oh, hello Sunset. Are you ready to go?” Tender Heart said over her shoulder as she helped one of the younger boys get his shirt on.

“Yea.” Sunset said as the matron finished and turned to look at her.

“You’re going to meet up with your oath-sisters first then?” Tender Heart said with a smile.

“Yup!” Sunset replied with a happy smile.

“Well, alright.” Tender Heart said, a hint of apprehension in her voice as she approached Sunset and patted her on the head. “Be careful, and I’ll see you tonight.”

“Thank you matron. See you tonight!” Sunset said brightly as she turned and scampered out the door, unaware of the look of concern on the matron’s face.

Stepping into the warm morning air, Sunset made her way across the yard in front of the Golden Tree orphanage, and out the gate. Normally, she’d head towards the west end of town where Bronze Hammer’s forge was located. Instead, she turned north and broke into a casual jog, her destination the massive orchards of Sweet Apple Acres, where she’d agreed to meet up with her oath-sister Applejack, before going to collect the other two members of their little sisterhood: Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

Sunset found herself almost giddy with anticipation as she quickly made her way through town, her heart pumping not just with her exertion, but with raw excitement as she considered what had led to the day’s unusual break from her schedule.

It had begun almost three years ago when the phoenix queen Lumina had laid her latest egg. In and of itself, it was a momentous occasion, as Lumina’s last egg was laid over 300 years ago. But the birth of a new phoenix meant so much more to the Solarian people, and marked the beginning of a massive undertaking by Queen Celestia, beginning with a multi-year search across the length and breadth of Solaria. The point of the search was simple: find children with the strongest and purest inner fire among all the populace, and determine nine among them, three from each tribe, who best represents the highest ideals of Solaria. Of the nine chosen, one would earn the privilege of being bonded by the newest phoenix when it hatched, and ascend to become an immortal phoenix-born.

Naturally, the search had begun in the capital city-state of Heliopolis, before moving to the towns and cities of the Eastern Territories. Now, after nearly two years of surveying, the search had finally reached the scattered towns of the Western Territories, including Sunset’s hometown of Golden Tree. With the arrival of the examiners, every child between the ages of eight and twelve was to be tested for the strength and purity of their inner fire, the very source of their magic, to see if any have the potential to join with the newest phoenix.

As she neared her destination, Sunset’s jog slowed to a saunter, then a brisk walk as she arrived at the gates of Sweet Apple Acres. All across the hills to the north and down into the valley below were acres and acres of beautiful, blooming apple trees. The sight made her smile as she pushed the gate open, and made her way towards the main house, the scent of blooming apple blossoms wafting through the air on the occasional breeze, carrying not only the smell of the flowers, but the occasional flurry of petals.

It was a sight that she was sure she’d never get tired of.

After a few minutes of walking, Sunset spotted her destination; the large main house of Sweet Apple Acres, and the home of one of her closest friends and oath-sisters. Approaching the front entrance, she rose up on her tiptoes and used the door knocker to announce her presence. Clasping her hands behind her back, Sunset rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet as she heard footsteps approaching from the other side of the door. Soon enough, the door opened, revealing the girl she’d come to collect: Applejack, who, unlike Sunset, was dressed in a simple skirt, blouse, and leather boots, her late father’s signature stetson planted firmly on her head.

Sunset, in a moment of mischief, fixed the half-head taller, blond-haired, light gamboge-skinned earth-weaver girl with a steel-hard stare, and, puffing out her chest like she imagined some official from Heliopolis, addressed the young farmer.

“Ma’am, I’m here to inform you that apples have now been declared illegal in Solaria.” Sunset said gravely, “I’m afraid we’re going to have to confiscate all of your trees.”

“Mornin’ to yah too Sunset.” Applejack said with a laugh as she grabbed the shorter girl in a headlock. “Ah’m afraid yah’re goin’ to need more than just one scrawny fire-caller if yah want to take mah trees.”

“Scrawny?” Sunset said indignantly as she extracted herself from Applejack’s headlock. “Please! Just because I’m no earth-weaver doesn’t mean you get to call me scrawny.”

“Ah’ll believe it when yah work the orchard like ah do every day, furnace face.” Applejack laughed as she put her fists on her hips, giving the shorter girl a scrutinizing look.

“Whatever. I’d like to see you work an anvil, fruit freckles.” Sunset shot back, also placing her fists on her hips and leaning forward.

The two of them glared at one another for a moment, before laughing, gripping hands, and pulling each other into a hug.

“You ready to do this thing?” Sunset said after they let go.

“As ready as ah’ll ever be.” Applejack said as she looked over her shoulder and shouted. “Mac! Granny! Ah’m headin’ out with Sunset! Ah’ll be back soon!”

*****

“Sunset! Applejack!”

Both girls recognized the voice that had just shouted their names, and braced themselves. Moments later, they felt the impact as they were tackled to the ground by a blur of brilliant rose and light ceriseish gray. Before either of them could respond, they found themselves pulled into an enthusiastic hug.

“Good…morning…Pinkie…” Sunset wheezed out as she attempted to breath through the crushing force of Pinkie Pie’s greeting, noticing that the earth-weaver girl’s simple dress somehow had avoided getting any dirt on it even after she’d tackled them to the ground.

“Heya Pinkie.” Applejack said, “Yah seen Rainbow?”

“Up here.”

Both pinned girls looked up into the sky, and spotted the fourth member of their little group hovering above them. Hair as polychromatic as her name, skin just a couple shades of cerulean lighter than the sky above her, the young sky-runner was smiling the smile of someone who wasn’t currently being constricted in an enthusiastic earth-weaver hug.

“Hey Dash.” Sunset wheezed.

“G’mornin’ Dash.”

“Hey!” Rainbow called before descending and folding her wings against her back like a cape, the tips of her primaries reaching the top of her calves, her smile still in place as she watched Pinkie continue to glomp her oath-sisters.

A wicked thought entered Sunset’s mind as she glared at the smug sky-runner. Turning her head slightly, teal eyes met emerald green ones as she and Applejack made eye contact, a moment of understanding passing between them.

“Say, Pinkie… have you given Rainbow a hug yet this morning?” Sunset asked, causing Rainbow’s cersei colored eyes to shrink to pinpricks.

“Oh my gosh, I haven’t! Thanks for reminding me Sunny!” Pinkie squealed, her light cerulean eyes lighting up with joy.

Before Rainbow could react, in a single smooth motion, Pinkie released Sunset and Applejack, stood, and launched herself at Rainbow, tackling her to the ground. Sunset and Applejack got to their feet and brushed the dirt off their clothes before turning to Pinkie and Rainbow as the former was helping the latter to her feet.

“I’m going to get you for that Shimmer.” Rainbow said with a glare as she brushed the dirt off her now dirty shirt and pants.

“Consider it payback for the thing with the alligator lizards three weeks ago.” Sunset sniped back with an amused smirk.

“Alright alright, enough ah that. We don’t want to be late.” Applejack interrupted, before looking around and noticing a few people missing. “Say, where are yer folks?

“Daddy’s waiting for us with Limestone and Marble at the testing site.” Pinkie said, gesturing towards the center of town, “And I think Dashie came by herself.”

“I did. I don’t need my parents embarrassing me in front of the whole town… again.” Rainbow said as she spread her wings and lifted off the ground to hover above her friends.

“They mean well Rainbow.” Sunset said evenly. “Be thankful you have them.”

“Sorry Sunset. I am grateful.” Rainbow said, nodding apologetically, “I just wish they’d stop being so… enthusiastic about everything I do. Like, seriously, they don’t need to cheer for me flying out of the house in the morning.”

“I suppose I can understand that.” Sunset said as they turned to walk towards the testing site, before trying to steer the conversation in a different direction. “So, we going to hit up the Sweet Shoppe after the test? I got paid yesterday and I’m in the mood to waste a few sparks.”

Soon, the conversation turned towards afternoon plans and other mundane topics as they made their way towards the center of town.

*****

“Whoa.” Sunset said as she and the girls arrived at Golden Tree’s central plaza.

“I don’t think that’s a strong enough word Sunny.” Pinkie said as she looked out over the massive crowd before them. “This’s more like criminy or jeepers than whoa.”

There were hundreds of sun-gazers of all three tribes gathered in the square, most of whom were children, but with a sizable number of adults, many of them clearly parents there to escort their kids. But there were others. Dozens of men and women were scattered throughout the crowd, stationed along the edges of the plaza, or, in the case of the sky-runners, hovering in the air above. Each one was wearing a snow white military uniform with a sword superimposed over Queen Celestia’s personal sunburst emblazoned on their chests. Each one bore an ornate, bayoneted carbine, flanged mace and buckler, all of which had a distinctive sun motif.

“Girls.” Sunset said, a touch of nervousness and awe as she looked the soldiers over, recalling the legends about the sun-gazers that bore the uniforms and armaments she was seeing. “I think those are Sunblades.”

“I think you’re right.” Rainbow said as she stared at the Queen’s elite soldiers. “What are they doing here?”

“I don’t know. Keeping things orderly?” Sunset gulped.

“Gonna be ah tough job with this many folks around. Sun’s light, ah don’t recognize mosta these people.” Applejack said as she surveyed the massive crowd of people gathered around the testing site.

“Me either.” Pinkie said as she looked over the crowd. “Daddy told me that the inspectors didn’t want to go to every town in the region, so they just sent word to everyone to come here instead.”

“That’s kinda lame.” Rainbow said as watched the crowd milling about.

“It’s probably easier than having to go to every single town in the region.” Sunset said as she looked out at the crowd, trying to hide her nerves. “Golden Tree’s the biggest settlement around here.”

“I guess, but still…” Rainbow said. “Anyway, how’s this supposed to go. We just wait until we get called or something?”

“I don’t think so. There’s too many people for that to work.” Sunset said as she continued to survey the crowd. Spotting something sticking out above the horde of bodies, she elbowed Applejack and pointed. “Hey, look at those.”

All three of the others followed the line from Sunset’s finger to a set of twelve polls, each one with a tall, rectangular sign capping it. The signs were divided into three groups, each one bearing either the symbol for “earth-weaver”, “sky-runner” or “fire-caller”. Below the tribal symbols were letters from the Solarian alphabet.

“Ah think we’re supposed to split up by tribe and name or somethin’.” Applejack said.

“Makes sense.” Rainbow said as she hovered up higher to look out over the crowd. Sure enough, everyone did appear to be sorted by tribe.

“So… I guess we’re splitting up then?” Pinkie said as she looked over the crowd, trying to spot her father and sisters.

“Looks like it.” Sunset said. “Light, I’ve got no idea how long this’ll take, so how about we meet at the Sweet Shoppe after we get done.”

“Ah’ll have to pass. Ah got chores tah take care of.” Applejack said.

“No problem AJ, we get it. I’m in.” Rainbow said.

“Me too!” Pinkie chirped happily.

“Alright. See you there.” Sunset said as she gathered her oath-sisters in a group hug. “Good luck.”

*****

Sunset rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet as she stood in line for her turn. At her best guess, she’d been waiting well over two hours as she moved ever closer to the front of the line.

‘Wish I’d brought a book.’ She thought as she took another few steps forward as the next child was taken into one of the tents for testing.

At her best guess, it took another half hour for her to reach the head of the line.

“Next!” A mint-green skinned and blue haired earth-weaver man called from the entrance to one of the tents. Jogging forward, Sunset approached him, looking up expectantly.

“Name and town of residence.” He said with detached efficiency.

“Sunset Shimmer of Golden Tree.” Sunset replied.

“Lets see. Sunset Shimmer of Golden Tree…” The man said as he flipped through the papers on his clipboard, before his brow furrowed, and his voice became laced with disgust. “…you’re an orphan?”

“Um, yes sir…” Sunset said quietly, taken aback by his sudden change in attitude.

“Hmph. Get inside and we’ll get this over with.” He barked, pushing the flap of the tent open and ushering Sunset inside with apparent reluctance. Sunset did as she was told, puzzled by his sudden shift in attitude.

Inside the tent, Sunset saw two other sun-gazers seated near the back of the tent; one was a dour looking sky-runner with silver hair, and blue skin / wings, while the other was a waspish fire-caller with yellow hair / soul-gem and green skin. On the ground before them was a large, brassy disk covered in elaborate runes and bearing a motif of a phoenix, wings spread emblazoned within the Queen’s Sunburst.

The earth-weaver pushed past her made his way over to the others, where upon he sat down next to them and began to whisper something. Sunset’s stomach sank as their features also twisted from indifferent to barely contained disgust.

“Alright girl…” The sky-runner said.

“My name’s Sunset.” Sunset replied defiantly.

“Be quiet girl!” The sky-runner replied, her features turning hard. “Step onto the disk and we’ll get this over with.”

“Okay.” Sunset said as she curled in on herself a little and stepped onto the disk.

‘What did I do wrong?’ She thought as she saw the fire-caller stand up and step forward.

“Now, stand still.” She growled.

Sunset nodded and held as still as possible. The woman slowly began to move her arms and upper body, weaving her magic in a simple spell dance as her soul-gem came to life, generating a soft, ochre light as she called on her flame. Sunset could feel the runes on the disk below her feet beginning to respond as the woman poured her flame into them, activating the enchantments engraved on the surface. Looking down, Sunset marveled at the item she was standing on, and the runes on its surface. They were… some of the most complicated runes she’d ever seen, and looked nothing like any of the ones she’d studied with Bronze. Whatever it was that they were meant to do, she couldn’t even begin to fathom their function, much less how they’d been engraved with such detail.

As she was puzzling over the runes, Sunset began to feel a strange sensation within her. It was bright, warm and pleasant, and left a feeling of elation filling her heart. Slowly, as the woman completed the spell, the runes on the disk flared to life. As the runes activated, Sunset’s body began to glow. It was soft at first, but soon grew in intensity until it was a bright, brilliant white that flooded the entire tent with its radiance, forcing the examiners to averted their eyes to avoid being blinded.

‘Is this my flame? Did the disk make my flame visible?’ Sunset thought as she savored the euphoric feeling wrapped around her like a warm blanket.

In less than a minute, the light faded away, and Sunset let out a sad sigh as the warm sensation left her body. However, her disappointment was replaced with terror when she looked at the three examiners, who were now glaring at her with utter disbelief. Moments later, the disbelief turned to rage.

“That will be all. Get out.” The earth-weaver said angrily as he stood and took a step towards her.

“I…” Sunset began, but was cut off.

“You heard him. Get out! Now!” The fire-caller snarled as she pointed violently towards the flap of the tent, her soul-gem flaring up dangerously.

Fear blossomed in Sunset’s chest, and she did the only thing she could think of.

She turned and ran out of the tent and through the crowd outside, her feet carrying her away as fast as they could.

*****

Sunset’s flight from the testing area was a blur of fear and tears as she ran through town. She wasn’t sure where she was going, only that she needed to get away from the inspectors. After she didn’t know how long, her legs gave out, and she slowed to an exhausted stumble. Lifting her head, she saw she was three blocks from The Sweet Shoppe. Three blocks from her friends. Her sisters. But, she couldn’t muster the energy to reach them. Instead, she stumbled towards one of the maple trees growing along the roadside. With the last of her energy, she slumped against the tree’s trunk, slid down to the ground, curled up into a ball and began to cry.

She wasn’t sure how long she stayed there, bawling her eyes out as she worked her way through her fright, her young mind trying to comprehend exactly what had just happened.

“Sunset?”

Lifting her head from her knees, Sunset’s eyes fell on Mrs. Cake, the owner of the Sweet Shoppe, and the woman Pinkie Pie was apprenticing under. The older, cerulian skinned, two-toned crimson haired, rose eyed earth-weaver had a small cart of fruits with her and several bags of flour, likely freshly ground at the mill.

“Sunset, sweetheart, what’s wrong?” Mrs. Cake said as she rested her cart on the ground and knelt down by the young girl, lifting her chin to look her in the eyes. “Are you okay? Did someone hurt you?”

Sunset shook her head.

“Did something happen?”

Sunset nodded and buried her face back into her knees.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

Sunset shook her head without lifting it from its hiding place. She could feel Mrs. Cake’s eyes on her, the concern all but radiating off the woman like light from the sun.

“Well, alright. I understand if you don’t want to talk about it sweetie, but I’m not going to leave you out here like this. Can you stand?” Mrs. Cake asked as she rose back up to her feet.

Sunset merely nodded.

“Okay. Why don’t you come with me. I think I saw your friends heading towards the store a little while ago.” She said as she stood and she extended her hand towards Sunset. “C’mon, I’ll take you to them.”

Slowly, Sunset looked up to the offered hand. Somehow, she managed to muster enough energy to reach out and take it, letting the older woman help her to her feet. Sunset followed Mrs. Cake down the street, clinging to her arm as Mrs. Cake pulled her cart behind her.

As they approached the Sweet Shoppe, the scents of puddings, pies and pastries pierced the numbness around her, giving her a little more life. Deep down, she knew this place. This place was safe. This place wouldn’t hurt her. Clinging a little tighter to Mrs. Cake’s arm, Sunset entered the shop.

“Pinkie! Rainbow!” Mrs. Cake called.

“Yes Mrs. Cake, what’s… oh my gosh! Sunset!” Sunset was vaguely aware she heard Pinkie say. “What’s wrong?”

Sunset felt a warm hug wrap itself around her body as a curtain of less poofy than usual rose colored hair flooded her vision. With a choked sob, she leaned into Pinkie’s embrace, her fear subsiding in the safety of her oath-sister’s arms.

“Easy Pinkamena, let thine friend sit before thou accosteth her with questions.” Another distant voice said, this one belonging to Pinkie’s father Igneous Rock. It was another anchor in the storm. Igneous had always been kind to her, in his own morose way.

Sunset felt herself being led to a table by Pinkie, and felt herself sit down. There was the sound of a chair scraping across the wooden floor, and the return of Pinkie’s hug. Mustering the energy to lift her head, Sunset saw not only Igneous and Pinkie, but Limestone, Marble and Rainbow Dash, each looking at her with worry in their eyes. With a hiccup and a sigh, Sunset leaned into Pinkie’s side, letting her oath-sister cradle her.

“What happened?” Rainbow asked as she walked around the table and joined Pinkie in holding their distraught friend.

“I…I don’t know.” Sunset managed to mutter. “I think I might have messed up or did something to make the examiners angry.”

“What dost thou mean?” Igneous said in his calm, nearly monotone voice. Only years of knowing the man let Sunset know how concerned he was at that moment.

And so Sunset explained what had happened at the test as best she could. The weird way the examiners started treating her, the bright white light that came from her during the test. The way they had all but chased her out of the tent once the test was done. Throughout the whole thing, Pinkie and Rainbow both sat next to Sunset for moral support, while Igneous and Pinkie’s sisters listened. At some point, Mrs. Cake had come by and put a slice of peach and gooseberry cobbler in front of her, but Sunset barely noticed it as she told her tale.

Once Sunset finished, Igneous’s brow furrowed slightly. It was a subtle thing, but to those who knew him, could tell that he was livid.

“Moon-loving monsters.” Igneous muttered under his breath. “How dare they treat an innocent little girl like that.”

All of the girls stared wide-eyed at Igneous. They rarely heard him use bad language, especially something like that.

“I just don’t get what I did wrong.” Sunset said as she poked at the dessert Mrs. Cake had brought with her fork, her appetite completely dead.

“Thou didst nothing wrong Sunset.”

“Then why did they act like such big, mean jerks?” Pinkie asked as she rubbed Sunset’s back.

“It has nothing to do with thine friend doing anything wrong, Pinkamena, and everything to do with the backwards way the people of Heliopolis view people like thine friend.” Igneous said as he folded his hands together and rested them on the table. “I had hoped thou wouldst not have to hear until thou wert older, but the people that live in Heliopolis… they put far too much weight on their pedigree.”

“But what’s that got to do with being such meanies to Sunset?” Pinkie asked.

“Tis a sad truth,” Igneous said with a sigh, “but among all but the most enlightened members of the city, the prevailing attitude is that if one doesn't have a family, they are of no value..”

“But, Sunset does have a family. Us, and everyone else in Golden Tree.” Rainbow protested.

Igneous shook his head and sighed.

“The city folk are not so generous with their views of family.” Igneous continued, the subtlest hints of contempt seeping into his voice. “To them, the only family that matters is one's blood family. All else might as well be dust in the wind.”

“But that’s stupid!” Rainbow said with a frown. “The Queen can’t be okay with that.”

“She is not.” Igneous replied solemnly, “But, even as she publicly decries those who act in such a way, the attitude still persists. 'Tis a truly sad state of affairs. I’m just saddened thou hadst to experience such a thing, Sunset.”

“Yea…” Sunset said with a sad sigh, finally mustering the strength to lift her fork and take a bite of her cobbler. As the sweet and sour flavors of the cooked fruit and flake pastry filled her mouth, she started to feel a little more like herself. Glancing to the side, she saw Pinkie and Rainbow staying close, offering comfort and safety.

‘Thank you girls.’ Sunset thought as she continued to slowly eat the dessert before her.

Author's Note:

And so, the spark has been struck, and the fire prepares to burn.

Lyra being an orphan in the same orphanage as Sunset, and her ability to play any musical instrument was inspired by the inordinately awesome Must Love Frogs and her Junior Gala universe.

Edited 19-Jan-2020 to add descriptions of the character's color schemes.
Edited 27-Jan-2020 to correct Igneous's grammar when speaking. Thanks to Skunktrain for their help.
Edited 24-Nov-2020 to bring the time since the last ascension in line with the revised timeline.

PreviousChapters Next