• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,943 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,943

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 6 - The Trials - Wield the Blade for Queen and Country

Dear AJ, Pinkie and Rainbow,

Hey, girls. Sorry to bear bad news, but I asked Raven if I’d be able to attend the Autumn Harvest Festival, but she said no. She told me that this year the phoenix-born will be attending a similar festival in the Eastern Territory. Apparently the Kirintal and Archduchess Roseluck planned an event to commemorate the four-hundred-year anniversary of the formation of the alliance between Himavanta and Solaria.

I’d rather come see all of you, but it looks like my attendance at the event is not negotiable. I’ll try to convince Raven to let me come to the Winter Solstice Celebration, but I can’t promise anything.

Lady Inkwell and the queen have been working me to the last ember lately. Be thankful you’re not dealing with this, because half the time when I get done for the day, I want to scream. The other half, I’m too tired to even think about it.

I love you all. Please have fun at the Festival. Even if I can’t be there, I want you all to enjoy yourselves. Think of it like having extra fun for me.

Your sister,

Sunset Shimmer

*****

Hey, everyone,

I’m just writing to say hi from Heliopolis. I’m doing okay, and miss all of you. I know it’s been too long since we spoke, but I’ve been really busy. Learning to be a phoenix-born is exhausting. And, it's lonely here. But, I’m making do.

Please be good for Tender Heart, everyone (Lyra, I’m looking at you).

Love,

Sunset Shimmer

*****

Hello, Bronze,

I hope things are going well. I’ve been better, but I’m keeping busy. Queen Celestia’s got me working the anvil every couple of days, though it's pretty different from what we used to do.

I’ve been looking into ways to enchant the hammer you gave me to make sure it can hold up to the kind of thing the queen’s got me doing. Remember the legends about phoenix-born being fireproof? Well, it's not a legend. So I need to make sure it’s going to survive whatever the queen wants me to put it through.

Please take care of yourself. I miss you, and hope to see you soon.

Regards,

Sunset Shimmer


A feeling of weightlessness gripped Sunset’s body as she floated in the air. It was an odd sensation, being parallel to the ground yet not resting on it. It wasn’t like when she flew, though it was similar: unlike when she was flying under her own power, she could feel the pull of gravity but knew her flame wasn’t keeping her aloft.

All around her, the world was moving in slow motion as her mind tried to process why and how she was suddenly not standing on the earth.

Then her weight returned. Her breath ripped from her lungs as gravity reasserted itself and sent her crashing down onto her back.

“Night-loving bastard,” Sunset growled under her breath as she closed her eyes and grimaced as she fought down the urge to cry out in pain as her breathing became labored. All over her body, she could feel the aches and pains from a dozen other falls like the one she’d just taken.

Rolling over onto her stomach as quickly as she could without throwing up, she heaved for breath a few more times, then she forced herself to her hands and knees. As she started to properly take in air again, she slowly and painfully rose to her feet to glare venomously at the man who’d been humiliating her for the last half-hour.

There, standing not six feet away from her in one of the grassy meadows at the base of Mt. Liakeed was General Sentry, a long, wooden quarterstaff held in his right hand with its butt planted in the dirt.

Without a word, the general returned to his fighting stance, his face cold and ruthless, while his eyes dared her to try again.

Staggering over to her own staff as quickly as she could, Sunset retrieved it. Then, with a scream of primal rage, she charged at the general with murderous intent.

*****

Three days prior, Queen Celestia had told her that they would soon begin her combat training. Sunset's excitement cooled into dread when she learned who exactly she'd be training with: none other than General Steel Sentry. The news left her imagining all sorts of awful drills and grueling workouts at the crack of dawn until she was ready to collapse. She’d heard the stories about what the sun-blades went through at The Heart of Fire, and it scared her.

But the queen made it clear that this wasn’t negotiable.

And so, after three days of dreading the inevitable, she met up with General Sentry and Vestian in the front lobby of the Cathedral of the Sun. As she entered, she spotted him waiting for her, his expression as cold and hawkish as ever. To her surprise, he wasn’t wearing his usual officer’s uniform, but instead was dressed in what looked like a simple black shirt and pants. He also carried a pair of quarterstaffs over his left shoulder, though one was much smaller than the other. The only things that were consistent with his usual attire were the holster on his hip holding Bloodhound and the leather pauldron on his right shoulder where Vestian was perched.

“Bright day, little miss. I’m glad to see that you’re prompt,” General Sentry said, his tone stern and sharp but somehow managing to sound almost polite.

“Surprised that I’m capable of punctuality?” Sunset shot back.

To her surprise, the general let out an amused chuckle, though Sunset couldn’t be sure if it was from him finding what she said amusing, or because he was surprised she had spoken to him in the tone she had.

“Not at all. You did actually work for a living,” he said as he reached down to retrieve a small bundle off the ground and tossed it to Sunset. “Here. Get changed into these. Once you’re properly dressed, we’ll get started.”

“What is it?” Sunset asked as she looked at the package skeptically.

“Training clothes. You’re going to need them while I conduct my assessment. Now, do as you’re told. We have a schedule to keep,” the general said as he pointed towards one of the side rooms. “I’ll be waiting here.”

As Sunset turned and entered the room the general had indicated, she resisted the urge to argue. Instead, after helping Philomena onto one of the benches, she begrudgingly swapped into the uniform provided, which consisted of a pair of pants and a button-up long-sleeve shirt, both of which were the pale, dull white-grey of undyed cotton, as well as a pair of calf-length boots.

Any ideas why he wants you to wear that? Philomena sent as she inspected Sunset’s uniform.

Nope, Sunset sent with a grumble as she folded her regular clothes and stuffed them into the bag. But I bet we’re not going to like it.

With a sigh, Sunset returned Philomena to her shoulder and stepped back out into the foyer. General Sentry looked her over once before nodding with approval.

“Good. Now, come along. It’s not far to where we’re going,” the general said crisply as he turned to the front gate of the cathedral and marched towards the door.

Following close behind, Sunset found herself trying not to think about the general’s attitude, or how cold and distant he was. Instead, she reminded herself that General Sentry wasn’t Raven or Roseluck. Nor did she want him to be. She liked them. She… wasn’t sure how she felt about the general, but she knew that at the very least, she didn’t like him. He might have been treating her respectfully now, but she hadn’t forgotten the things he’d said when she had been disguised as Raven’s sun-touched aide.

Or that, according to Raven, he was the origin of Heliopolis’s attitude towards those not from the city.

Sunset’s smouldering was interrupted when she noticed they were outside the cathedral and standing on the sky-rail platform. General Sentry strode purposefully towards the east-end of the platform, with Sunset rushing to keep up. Once there, he offered his arm to Vestian, who climbed on and took to the air once General Sentry extended his arm. Shortly after, the general followed him into the air.

“We'll be flying to the site from here. Don’t fall behind,” the general said as he turned to look at Sunset, before taking off towards the east face of Mt. Liakeed.

Glaring at the general but keeping her mouth shut, Sunset gave Philomena her arm so she could safely take off before shakily rising into the air herself. She followed behind the general as quickly as she could, and although her flight was still far from graceful or steady, she barely managed to keep up with him.

They flew in silence for several minutes, the general not even acknowledging her presence the entire time. As they flew past a low hill, Sunset realized they’d arrived at their destination. There, sitting serenely in a large, open meadow was Queen Celestia. But to Sunset’s surprise, she was significantly smaller than usual. At her best guess, the great centaur was maybe around a third of her normal, immense stature. And, though the queen was dressed as elegantly as ever, she was not bearing her royal scepter or orb.

Sunset saw General Sentry begin to head towards the queen and quickly followed suit. Yet, before they arrived, Vestian suddenly flew between the two of them and the queen. Hovering in place, he looked directly at Philomena then gestured with his head, signalling for his sister to follow him.

Go on, Sunset sent as she felt Philomena’s unsent question through their bond.

Reluctantly, Philomena nodded, after which Vestian wheeled around and flew to a nearby oak. Perching in one of its branches, he directed Philomena to do the same with a flick of his beak. Feeling Philomena’s annoyance as she did as instructed, Sunset sent her feelings of encouragement as the younger phoenix landed in one of the branches near her brother.

With one final encouraging sending, Sunset landed and jogged to catch up to General Sentry as he approached Queen Celesita. Once both phoenix-born reached her, General Sentry dropped to a knee and bowed his head. Sunset quickly followed his lead, bowing to the queen.

“Bright day to you, Your Highness. May your light bless the land for all time,” General Sentry said.

“Bright day to you, General Sentry. And to you too, Sunset,” the queen said as she smiled down at the two phoenix-born. “I trust you are ready.”

“Indeed,” General Sentry said as he rose to his feet, before he turned to address Sunset. “Are you ready, little miss?”

“I might be if I knew what we were actually going to be doing,” Sunset said as she rose to her feet and shot the general an annoyed look.

“It's quite simple,” General Sentry said as he tossed the smaller of the staves he was carrying to Sunset’s feet. To her dismay, she realized that it was the appropriate size for someone her stature. “In order to see what I’ve got to work with, you’re going to do a few tests for me. First, you’re going to run to the end of the meadow and back twenty times. Then, you’re going to do a series of exercises that will help me gauge your physical fitness. After that, you and I are going to spar so I can get a sense of your aptitude in combat.”

“I’m sorry, what?!” Sunset shouted, the thought of facing off against the general filling her with terror. “You want me to fight you?”

A look of slight amused condescension touched the general’s face as he harrumphed once.

“I very much doubt you would last very long if we did ‘fight,’ little miss. So no, we aren’t going to fight. We’re going to spar. With the purpose of me getting a clear understanding of what you’re capable of. And if you’re worried about getting injured, don’t be. These staves–” the general said as he held up his own weapon casually “–are enchanted to prevent any blow dealt with them from doing lasting damage, but won’t stop them hurting or leaving a mark. Think of it as motivation to not get hit.”

“Why?” Sunset asked, her nervousness growing by the moment. “Why do I have to do this?”

To her chagrin, the cocky smile on General Sentry’s face grew.

“Why indeed?” General Sentry asked with a good humored chuckle, before his tone turned serious. “Why would I need to see what you’re capable of? Why would I want to know what kind of fighting instincts you have? Why would I want to help prepare you to act as one of the guardians of Solaria when it’s your duty as a phoenix-born to be ready to stand in defense of your nation and your queen? Pray tell, why would I want any of that, little miss?

Looking down at the staff, Sunset slowly and reluctantly reached down and picked it up.

“But, I’m going to be an artificer, not a soldier,” Sunset asked as she examined the staff. “I get knowing how to defend myself, but I don’t plan to fight in any wars or anything like that. So I don’t see the point.”

Sunset’s words hung in the air for a few moments, before she felt the air grow thick and heavy with a familiar weight of presence. She swallowed nervously, recognizing the sensation: it reminded her of the one she felt when Raven had disciplined Sapphire at the academy all those months ago. But also distinct. Whereas Raven’s presence made her feel like she was being crushed under a great tide, this one felt like thousands of angry eyes were glaring at her from all angles.

Her heart leapt into her throat as she felt something smooth touch the bottom of her chin, which then put just enough pressure to make her look up. As she did, she saw that General Sentry had used the tip of his quarterstaff to slowly force her head up to look him in the eyes. Sunset wanted to take a step back and curl in on herself, but she was too paralyzed by his overwhelming presence and piercing glare. A glare that was now full of contempt and burning disdain.

“I thought you were smart, little miss,” General Sentry said in a low, threatening growl. “But clearly you haven’t really learned what the blessing bestowed upon you means, or what your role to Queen Celestia is. You no longer have the luxury of being some dirt-eating artificer who gets to while your days away making trinkets for coin. You are a phoenix-born. And that means that you have a duty as both a ruler and as guardian of Solaria. Every phoenix-born must be ready to fight, and die, to protect queen and country from any threat that comes. To lead her soldiers in battle. It is a duty that I will see you prepared for, even if I have to break you in half to do it. Do you understand?”

Sunset shied away as the general continued to glare at her, before managing to nod.

“I’m glad to hear it,” the general said as he pointed towards the meadow. “Now, get going. You are to run to the far end and back at a bare minimum of twenty times. And if I suspect you’re not putting in an honest effort, I will make you run until you pass out. Am. I. Clear?”

Sunset nodded again quickly.

“Good. Well, get moving!”

And so began one of the most painful and humiliating mornings of Sunset’s life.

*****

“Yaaaah!” Sunset screamed as she rushed at the general and swung her staff.

Sunset felt her stomach seethe as the general casually evaded her swing, causing her to overextend and nearly lose her balance. When the general didn’t retaliate, she tried to correct herself and took another wild swing at him, which he dodged again. Over and over she lashed out, and over and over, General Sentry would remain one step ahead, always keeping her just out of measure. Her frustration mounting, Sunset raised the staff above her head and tried to strike him with a vicious overhand swing.

Once again, General Sentry effortlessly evaded the attack, only this time as he dodged, he caught the tip of her staff with his, redirecting it to the side. The sudden change in direction made Sunset stumble as she was thrown off balance. Before she could regain her footing, General Sentry swept the tip of his own staff downward, knocking her legs out from underneath her and painfully sending her to the dirt.

Shaking off the impact, Sunset lifted her face and spit out the dirt and grass that had gotten in her mouth. Pushing herself up onto her elbows, Sunset glared at him with all of the hate she could manage.

“I’ve seen enough. You’re done,” General Sentry said with a bored tone. “I’d actually hoped you’d show me something worthwhile, little miss, but I suppose I can’t always have what I want.”

“Have dreams, goat-licker,” Sunset growled at him as she slowly got to her feet again.

“Such spirit,” General Sentry said with the same amused and condescending tone. “That’s good. Hold onto that. You’re going to need it.”

Sunset felt her anger reaching its peak as she began to reach for her staff. Before she could grab it, General Sentry thrust his own staff between her hand and the weapon. As Sunset withdrew her limb on reflex, General Sentry pinned her staff with his boot.

“I said, that’s enough. You’re done,” the general barked.

Sunset’s glare intensified as the general slipped his foot under her staff and kicked it into the air, easily catching it in his free hand. Wordlessly, he turned and began to walk to the queen.

The sight of him turning his back on her made her blood boil with rage. Pushing herself to her feet, Sunset tensed as she considered trying to attack the general from behind. With his back turned, she might be able to get in at least one good hit.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, little miss,” the general said as he stopped walking, yet didn’t turn to face her. “If you try it, I will make you regret it.”

Something in the sharp, cold tone the general said that made Sunset’s blood freeze in her veins, though did little to quell her rage as it flared back to life moments later. Clenching her fists, she continued to glare at the general as he walked towards the queen.

“Arrogant night-loving dreamer,” Sunset muttered under her breath as she stumbled after him, the numerous bruises from the hits she’d taken during their sparring match, if she could even call it that, finally catching up with her.

Sighing as she staggered forward, Sunset closed her eyes and reopened her bond with Philomena. The instant she did, she was bombarded by a flood of concern for her well-being and agonized fretting.

Sunset winced as the sensations made her stomach turn with guilt.

After the first round with General Sentry, Sunset had had to close her link with Philomena, both to keep her worry from distracting her and to spare her partner the pain of the blows she was taking. Even with her bond almost entirely closed, she’d still sensed Philomena’s desire to come to her aid.

I’m okay, Mena, Sunset sent as she rubbed her sore stomach. Just tired, bruised, ticked off and more than a little humiliated.

You want me to claw his eyes out? Philomena sent, her worry replaced by seething anger as she glared hot death at the general.

No, don’t! Sunset sent, her own panic overriding her anger. I don’t want you to get hurt.

But, Sunset, he hurt you!

If you try, he’ll hurt you. And if he didn’t, Vestian would. Again.

Sunset could feel Philomena flinch at the memory.

The first time General Sentry had legitimately struck her during their sparring match, Philomena, overcome by rage and concern for her bond-mate, had attempted to intervene. She’d barely cleared the branches of the tree where she’d been perched before Vestian had intercepted her. The older phoenix had hovered in Philomena’s way, as if warning her not to interfere.

Philomena had ignored him and tried to fly around him to reach Sunset. Which had proven to be a mistake, because as soon as she had tried, Vestian had struck her with a powerful diving tackle, knocking the younger phoenix out of the air. Before she could rise, Vestian had landed on her back and pinned her neck with his talons.

Upon feeling Philomena’s distress, Sunset had taken her eyes off General Sentry and had moved to help her partner. Which had also proven to be a mistake, as General Sentry used her distraction to sweep her legs out from under her with his staff, sending her painfully to the ground before pressing the tip of the weapon into Sunset’s throat and warning her not to drop her guard.

It had been a particularly unpleasant experience for the both of them.

Still… Philomena began to protest.

Please. Don’t. It’s not worth it, Sunset sent before a fit of coughing wracked her as she took too deep a breath. Feeling Philomena’s renewed concern, Sunset tried to send feelings of reassurance to keep her calm.

After what felt like an eternity, Sunset finally caught up with General Sentry, who was standing at attention before the queen.

“Well, General, what is your evaluation?” Queen Celestia asked as she gestured towards Sunset.

“Frankly, Your Highness, she’s not even remotely competent,” General Sentry said as he folded his arms behind his back. To Sunset’s immense annoyance, he didn’t even give her the courtesy of looking at her while he spoke. “While she’s got fire, determination, drive, and is stronger and has slightly better endurance than I was expecting, her reflexes, speed, and coordination are all pathetic.”

Sunset bristled at General Sentry’s criticism.

“Further, she allows herself to be ruled by her emotions, becomes frustrated far too easily, over-telegraphs her attacks, doesn’t understand basic body mechanics for proper technique, and acts almost entirely on instinct and reflex. In fact, given the way she flails around like a drunken petroquine, I very much doubt she’s ever seen a real fight, let alone had any actual training in even the most basic forms of combat.”

“I see,” Queen Celestia said as she closed her eyes and nodded.

“I believe that with proper guidance, she has the potential to eventually become competent, but it will take considerable time and effort, Your Highness,” General Sentry said evenly. “With your permission, I will send for drill sergeant Sharp Shot. If any of my sun-blades is up to the task of making a proper fighter out of the girl, she is.”

“Thank you, General, but that will not be necessary,” Queen Celestia said as she held up her hand. “Her training will be handled by the sun-touched. From what you’ve said, the sun-blades would not give her what she needs. Instead, I want you to send Raven and myself a full evaluation of Sunset’s performance. Then, you are to work with Raven to devise a proper curriculum to give her the training she needs.”

If General Sentry was disappointed by this revelation, Sunset didn’t see it on his face.

“As you wish, Your Highness,” he said. “I will have a draft of my report and suggestions to you and Lady Inkwell within the day.”

“Thank you, General Sentry. You are dismissed,” Queen Celestia said with a nod.

“By your leave, Your Highness,” General Sentry said as he floated up into the air, then flew back towards the Cathedral of the Sun, Vestian close behind.

I can’t wait till I learn to fight, so I can punch him in the crotch, Sunset sent as she glared venomously at the departing General Sentry.

I can get behind that, Philomena replied as she also glared at the departing pair.

With a sigh, Sunset floated into the air and got ready to head back as well, only to be stopped by Queen Celestia as she held up a hand.

“Sunset, I said General Sentry could leave. You still have lessons to attend to.”

Sunset looked at the queen, her heart sinking and her face morphing into an exhausted frown.

Of course I do, Sunset sent as she slowly floated back down to the earth. Why wouldn’t there be?

Harmony showing you mercy?

Nah. I think the Empress likes to see me suffer or something, Sunset grumbled as she turned to the queen.

“My apologies, Your Highness,” Sunset said as she bowed her head.

“Do not worry yourself, Sunset,” the queen said. “Now, before we begin, how are you feeling? From the way you’re moving, I presume General Sentry’s evaluation was far from gentle.”

Sunset held in her angry retort, biting her lip and calming her mind through her meditation techniques.

“Hurting and angry, but it’s nothing I can’t deal with,” Sunset said. “I don’t think he did too much damage to anything except my self-esteem.”

“That is fortunate,” the queen said, either ignoring or oblivious to the angry expression that blossomed on Sunset’s face, “as this provides us with an opportunity to begin developing your earth-weaver gifts beyond simply kindling your flame. Before we begin, I need to know if you can feel Nitor’s pulse.”

Sunset wasn’t expecting the queen to ask her something like that. But, she chided herself, she should have. Not the exact question, but that kind of question.

Taking a deep breath, Sunset nodded.

In the months since her ascension, she’d grown accustomed to the strange feeling of the vital energy that made up Nitor’s heart beating deep below her feet. Even now, she could feel its pulse slowly and steadily rising and falling.

“Please describe what you feel.”

Sunset was taken aback by the question. She wasn’t exactly sure how to articulate what she was feeling. As she tried to put it to words, Sunset closed her eyes.

“It feels… safe. Like, a calm, comforting presence. It’s strange, in a way that I can’t really describe. But, it feels good. Right. Almost like I can feel a great heart beneath my feet, slowly beating and letting me know that the world is strong, healthy and living.”

Opening her eyes, Sunset saw the queen nod again.

“Good. That is good. One of the gifts bestowed upon the earth-weavers by my mother was the power to sense the vitality of the world, the very essence of all life on Nitor. Part of that gift is to receive strength from the heart. Just as the earth-weavers can help strengthen and heal the life of Nitor’s body, so can they ask for its aid when they need it. And, once your earth-weaver flame is properly developed, you will be able to as well.”

Pausing, Queen Celestia folded her arms over her stomach.

“One use of receiving this gift is to help recover from that which ails the body. At first, you will need to do this consciously. But, as the earth-weaver flame within you grows, as well as with time and practice, you’ll be able to do so without having to think about it, much like a natural earth-weaver does. Considering your current state, this is a good opportunity for you to begin to learn how.”

“Okay, Your Highness. What do I need to do?” Sunset asked as she rubbed her sore ribs. She hoped it didn’t involve a dance of any sort, because with how beat up she was at the moment, she doubted she’d be able to for very long.

“Don’t worry. It’s quite simple. To start, please lay on your back and spread your arms and legs out.”

Sunset blinked up at the queen as she considered the odd request. With a nod, Sunset slowly and gingerly lowered herself as Queen Celestia instructed.

“Now, close your eyes. Let your mind drift and the world fade away. Do not focus on anything other than the pulse below you.”

Taking another deep breath, Sunset tried to do as the queen said. Not knowing how to let her mind drift, Sunset began with her meditations as she tried to enter the proper state of mind for spell-dancing.

Gradually, she began to feel her mind slowing, and the world around her drifting away.

It was a pleasant, calming sensation as the energy emanating from the ground below her began to overtake everything around her, like the feeling of a warm bath after a long day at the forge, or laying in the sun with her oath-sisters after playing in the orchards of Sweet Apple Acres.

“Good,” Sunset heard a voice say somewhere off in the distance. “Now, allow yourself to welcome the vital energy of Nitor into yourself. Do not force it. Let it flow to you as it will.”

Taking another deep breath, Sunset reached out with her senses, trying to touch the heartbeat with her mind. Yet, try as she might, the sensation of Nitor’s pulse kept slipping from her like sand through an open hand. Slowly, as her frustration mounted, she began to lose touch with the pulse, which began to fade into the background once again.

“Sunset, no,” Sunset heard the queen say with a gentle, soothing voice. “You’re losing your focus. Relax, and let Nitor give itself to you. Welcome it to you, and it will come. You mustn’t try to claim it.”

‘Easy for you to say,’ Sunset thought ruefully.

Clearing her mind once more, Sunset gradually reentered her relaxed state and felt the pulse of Nitor envelop her again. Reaching out, she tried to do as Queen Celestia said and open herself to the world’s energy.

Slowly, she began to feel the warmth start to flow towards her, the sensation beginning to soak into her back as the planet’s energy gingerly touched her, the aches and pains where it was caressing her beginning to abate. The moment it did, instincts kicked in and Sunset tried to grasp onto the energy with her mind to draw in more and relieve more of her injuries.

The moment she did, the energy recoiled from her and retreated.

“Arrgh!” Sunset growled angrily. Sitting up suddenly, she winced as her bruises throbbed in protest.

“Sunset, you cannot claim Nitor’s touch. It will reject you,” Queen Celestia said. “You must let it come to you willingly.”

“I’m trying, Your Highness,” Sunset protested.

“I know you are, dear Sunset. But as a fire-caller, you are accustomed to taming and controlling the flame within you. As you must,,” Queen Celestia said as she held up her right index finger, before pointing down to the land beneath them. “Yet that is also antithetical to the way earth-weavers ask Nitor’s heart for aid. While it is true they draw from Nitor, they do not seek to control it. They let the world give to them, just as they give to the world. To unlock the gifts of their tribe, you must learn to do the same.

“Now, please, try again. Remember, Nitor will give, but it will not let you take or tame.”

Clenching her eyes shut and flopping back down, Sunset tried to empty her mind for a third time. However, try as she might, she couldn’t get herself back into its calmed state, even with her meditations. After a time, Sunset opened her eyes and sighed.

“I’m sorry, Your Highness. I can’t.”

“Do not fret,” Queen Celestia said as she raised her right index finger, a tiny sphere of golden light appearing at it’s tip. Gently blowing on the ball, it drifted down to Sunset, then flowed into her chest. As it did, her pain subsided a bit, and she could feel the bruises peppering her body slowly healing.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Sunset said as she got to her feet.

“You’re welcome. And do not worry about not mastering the technique on your first try. Like all of the things you’re learning, it will just take practice,” the queen said as she also rose to her hooves. As she started to turn and walk back towards the Cathedral of the Sun, she gestured for Sunset to follow her. Taking to the air, Sunset flew alongside the queen, Philomena soon joining them.

“As a former fire-caller,” the queen continued, “the ways of the earth-weavers will be the most difficult for you to learn, but you will. In time. So from now on, I want you to spend a few minutes each morning and evening in meditation to connect with Nitor’s heart. You must learn to trust it and let it in without trying to control it. Only then will you be able to draw on it for aid.

“For now, you may return to the Cathedral of the Sun, and relax for a bit. We’ll resume our lessons at one in the afternoon.”

“Thank you, Your Highness,” Sunset said.

*****

The next five days passed without much incident. Sunset resumed her lessons with the queen, and began to meditate as instructed. Yet, it rapidly became a new source of annoyance for her. No matter what she did, she’d always slip up and drive off Nitor’s heart.

She just had to remind herself that she would eventually get it.

Even if it was infuriating to no end.

The current morning was no different. She’d risen, dressed, spent ten minutes in a vain attempt at geokinesis. She eventually gave up, and ordered breakfast for herself and Philomena as she brooded over what would be in store for her for the next week.

Because the next week was a Raven week.

Meaning government lessons.

And most likely learning whatever horrors General Sentry was recommending she be put through. If the general didn’t have it out for her before, she was sure he did now after his little tirade about her “duty as a phoenix-born” to fight for Solaria. The thought of him and his attitude soured Sunset’s mood considerably.

Trying to put the general and her impending torment at his hand out of her mind, she glared at her rune guide and took a savage bite out of the chunk of sourdough bread she’d dipped in her soup. It wasn’t a perfect strategy, but focusing on the theoretical applications for the second-tier regulator rune she was examining did at least help distract her enough that she wasn’t actively thinking about whatever he had sent to Raven.

As she chewed, a sudden and unexpected knock on her door drew her attention. Setting down the bread and swallowing the bit she’d been chewing, Sunset looked towards the entrance to her suite.

“Who is it?” Sunset called, before feeling slightly foolish when she realized that it might be one of the sun-touched.

“It’s Raven. May I come in?”

Upon hearing Raven’s voice, a jolt of panic shot up Sunset’s spine as she desperately tried to figure out why Raven was here. At her room. Her eyes snapped to the wall clock, only to relax moments later. It read seven in the morning, well over an hour before they were scheduled to meet.

Mena, we weren’t expecting Raven, were we? Sunset sent as she looked back towards the door.

Not that I remember, Philomena sent as she also turned away from her own breakfast of seasoned, roasted mice.

Rising, Sunset straightened her shirt, smoothed her knee-length skirt and walked to the entrance of her suite. Opening the door, she spotted the ever-immaculate form of Raven and Dylis waiting patiently for her.

To her surprise, Raven was dressed differently than usual. Rather than her typical blouse, vest and pencil skirt, she was wearing a black silk blouse with flared, lace cuffs, an ankle length black skirt and black boots. A golden bolo tie decorated with her personal seal adorned her neck, while the black leather pauldron on her shoulder was ringed on the bottom with golden studs.

Sunset found herself staring at Raven in awe. Raven had always been handsome, but for some reason, seeing her in her current outfit accentuated that fact, leaving Sunset speechless.

“Good morning, Sunset,” Raven said crisply. “I hope I’m not interrupting.”

“Uh, no, Philomena and I were just finishing up breakfast,” Sunset said as she came back to herself.

“I see. May we join you?”

“Um, sure… is something wrong?” Sunset asked as she stepped back to allow Raven to enter.

Stepping over the threshold, Raven surveyed Sunset’s suite, before turning to Sunset.

“No. But, there are a couple of things I want to discuss with you,” Raven said as she walked up to Sunset’s food ordering system. “Do you mind if I order something?”

Sunset was momentarily stunned that Raven was asking her permission.

“I… of course, Raven,” Sunset stammered. Hearing Philomena snickering through their bond, Sunset sent a poke at the phoenix, who just giggled harder.

“Thank you,” Raven said as she pressed her hand to the panel. “One bowl of plietes, and a mug of tsujara, please.”

Sunset took her seat as Raven waited for her food to be delivered, her mind racing as she tried to figure out why Raven was here, in her suite, dressed up in an outfit that would look more appropriate for Roseluck. She’d said she wanted to discuss ‘a couple of things,’ but for the life of her, Sunset couldn’t imagine what.

It only took a few minutes for Raven’s food to be delivered. Order in hand, she took a seat at the table opposite Sunset and Philomena, before offering Dylis her arm. Bringing him down onto the table near Philomena, she placed the bowl of yellow-orange, spider-like plietes fruit between the two of them.

Taking a drink of her tsujara, Raven turned her attention to Sunset.

“I take it you’re wondering why I’m here,” Raven said matter-of-factly.

“It… crossed my mind. What did you want to discuss?”

“First, the queen, General Sentry and I have been reviewing his evaluation and suggestions for your combat training,” Raven said before as she set the mug down.

Sunset’s blood ran cold.

“…and?” Sunset said, unable to keep the nervousness out of her voice.

“I’m not surprised by what he found, if that’s what you’re wondering. I suspect you’ll begin your training proper in about a month or so, once we’ve finalized everything.”

Sunset could feel the blood drain from her face, causing Raven’s own expression to soften.

“Don’t worry. I’m not going to make you go through exactly what General Sentry wanted. But, I do agree with most of it. You need to start learning how to fight, and how to control and focus your temper correctly when you're under duress.”

“I don’t like the sound of that,” Sunset said nervously.

“I sympathize, but it’s necessary. This isn’t a matter of if, but a matter of when you will be called on to fight for Solaria. Like it or not, we phoenix-born are charged with the defense of Queen Celestia and Solaria. Which means you need to be trained. If not, you’ll be a liability on the battlefield, and an easy target for our enemies.”

Looking down at her hands, Sunset wrung them and sighed.

“General Sentry said that too. Something about it being my duty.”

A sympathetic look worked itself across Raven’s face.

“In that, General Sentry is unfortunately right. At the very least, you can be grateful that he’s not going to handle your training.”

“Yea. So what did he recommend?”

“Nothing terribly unusual: physical and mental training, tactics and strategy, unarmed, weapon and firearm drills, military and martial arts history,” Raven said nonchalantly. “I’m not going to put you through the intensity he’d want, but the program itself is sound. You’ll start once Steel and I finalize the details.”

“Oh,” Sunset muttered, “You said you had a couple things you wanted to discuss. What’s the second?”

“Don’t worry, this will be something I think you’ll enjoy. We’re not going to be having formal lessons today. Instead, they’re going to be a little more practical,” Raven said with a slight smile. “The Photon Museum of Art is holding a private viewing for their newest wing today, and Duke Fancypants has personally invited the two of us, as well as several high-ranking members of the nobility, including the Council of Light.”

Sunset could only stare at Raven numbly. That had to be the reason Raven was dressed up as much as she was. Then it hit her: Raven had said “the two of them.”

“Raven, pardon me for a moment, but how in the name of Queen Celestia’s sun does that sound like something I’d enjoy?” Sunset asked incredulously.

Raven’s mouth turned up into one of her cryptic smirks.

“Because you’re not going to be actively studying anything. This is my way of giving you something of a break after what I’m sure was a very unpleasant experience with General Sentry,” Raven said. “And other than asking you to observe how the rest of the nobles interact and try to learn how they play the game, I’m not asking you to do anything other than enjoy the museum.”

“Why would I find a museum fun? Sounds boring to me,” Sunset huffed. “Besides, I get enough watching the council when we’re in session. How is this going to be any different?”

“You might be surprised,” Raven said with a single chuckle. “On both counts. All I ask is that you go into this with an open mind.”

“I assume I don’t have a choice in the matter, do I?” Sunset asked as politely as she could manage.

“Yes, you do. If you don’t want to go, you don’t have to,” Raven said, before taking a drink of her tsujara. “…however, before you say you don’t want to go, consider that this was a personal invitation from Duke Fancypants, the ruler of Photon. Might there be benefits for accepting, or consequences for turning down his invitation?”

“Even if there are, why should I care?” Sunset replied.

“Because a single strand of chord is weak. But weave them together and they become strong.”

Sunset glared at Raven for a moment.

This is another one of those ‘cryptic lessons,’ isn’t it? Sunset sent.

No, that’s silly. Whatever gave you that idea?

Sunset gave Philomena a sidelong glance.

“Sometimes I wish you’d just tell me things rather than throw riddles at me,” Sunset sighed.

“No wisdom is worthwhile if you don’t have to work for it, Sunset,” Raven said with a half-smile.

“Yea, I’m sure. I think you just get a kick out of being mysterious.”

“Perhaps. But, you still haven’t given me an answer yet.”

Taking a deep breath in through her nose, Sunset slowly blew it out her mouth and regarded Raven.

“Fine. I’ll come. If for no other reason than that I could use a change of scenery. I assume that I’m going to be getting dolled up, right?”

“I’m glad to hear it. All I ask is that you keep your mind, and your eyes, open,” Raven said as she finished her tsujara. “And yes, you’re going to need to be ‘dolled up.’ I would have hoped you’d remembered that from your etiquette manual.”

“I do. But I can always wish,” Sunset grumbled.

“I won’t begrudge you for that,” Raven said as she rose from her seat. “Just so long as you don’t confuse what you wish things were for what they are.”

“Doesn’t mean I have to like it,” Sunset said as she also rose. “Well, let’s get this over with.”

“Open mind, Sunset,” Raven gently chided as she led Sunset towards her wardrobe.

“Yea, yea,” Sunset grunted as she prepared herself for another round of gaudy monstrosities being forced on her.

She had a feeling today was going to be another long one.

Author's Note:

Steel's not a gentle teacher.

PreviousChapters Next