• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,983 Views, 2,177 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,177
 7,983

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 13 - The Ascension - The Day Before Dawn

With a low groan and sigh, Sunset pulled herself from the dark abyss of sleep and stretched her neck to drive the last bits of unconsciousness from her body. Looking to the other beds in the room, she spotted both Daisy and Lily still slumbering in their beds, the former curled up and smiling blissfully, while the latter was splayed out on her back, mouth open with a slight trail of drool trickling down the corner of her mouth.

She’d give them a few more minutes of sleep before she woke them up.

Leaning her back against the headboard, she took a deep breath as she mentally prepared herself for the day ahead. After their visit with Queen Lumina, she’d brought Sunset back to her office, and laid out their itinerary for the next day. They’d begin bright and early makeing the morning rounds to check in with the staff, before they went to welcome the first wave of guests.

Which included the potential ascendants.

The nine sun-gazers in Solaria with the strongest, purest flames, one of whom would be chosen by the new phoenix to be their immortal bonded partner.

Sunset bunched her blankets in her hands when she remembered that all but one were from Heliopolis.

Before, the idea just bothered her. It was an abstract. Something that would happen a world away.

But now, after experiencing the Heliopolans first hand?

The thought of another one of them rising up and joining the sacred numbers of the phoenix-born made her skin crawl.

Still, it was out of her hands.

Her only hope was that they’d be assigned to one of the Rays of Heliopolis, and not to the Western Territory. The mere thought of having one of those arrogant goat-lickers ruling over her hometown, and the way that they’d force it to be like their conch-shell up the butt city left her gripping the blankets so tight her knuckles ached.

Taking a deep breath, she focused on her meditations, and brought her emotions under control.

‘Well, I’m up now,’ She thought as she threw off the covers and swung her legs out of bed as she walked to the food dispenser and pressed the panel, causing it to light up and list her food options.

“Tsujara,” She said.

A few moments later, she was rewarded with a ceramic, handleless mug of the spicy beverage. Taking the mug, she took a light sip of the steaming tea, the heat and spices waking her senses up.

‘Might as well get the two of them up too,’ Sunset thought as she walked back towards the beds. ‘We still need to shower and get all wrapped up in our nice, claustrophobic robes.’

Walking up to Daisy, Sunset gently poked her shoulder, causing the other girl to grumble and curl deeper into her blankets.

“Hey, Daisy, time to get up,” Sunset said as she poked her again.

“Five more minutes grandma. I don’t want to boil the scrabii fruits. It makes the kitchen smell like butt,” Daisy grumbled as she rolled away.

Sunset furrowed her brow, then shook her head. Walking to Lily’s bunk, she tried to rouse the other girl with a gentle shake.

“Lily, time to get up,” Sunset said gently.

“No it isn’t. I still have twelve minutes,” Lily said as she smacked her lips and rolled onto her stomach and hid her head under her pillow.

Sunset closed her eyes and sighed. She didn’t have time for this. Walking back to the common table, she set her tsujara on its surface, and out of range of any potential retaliation, before walking back to the foot of their beds..

“Daisy, Lily, Archduchess Roseluck is here. She wants you up and ready in three minutes,” Sunset said in a serious tone of voice.

“WHAT!” Daisy shouted as she bolted awake and looked around frantically.

“SHE IS!?” Lily shouted as she flailed around under the covers and almost tumbled off her mattress.

‘Okay, now I can understand why Lyra likes waking me up like that,’ Sunset thought to herself as she crossed her arms over her chest and looked at her friends, who were frantically looking around the room. After a minute, they both were awake enough to glare at Sunset.

“Sunset, don’t do that! You almost scared me to death!” Lily growled, before grabbing her pillow and tossing it at Sunset, smacking her in the face with the feather filled cushion.

“Seriously!” Daisy snarled as she glared obsidian blades at Sunset.

“It got you up, didn’t it?” Sunset said with a cheeky grin as she bent down and picked up Lily’s pillow and tossed it back to her.

“Just for that,” Lily grumbled as she got out of bed, “you get to use the shower last.”

“Sorry for doing you a favor,” Sunset snarked. “Next time, I’ll be sure to let you sleep in until the Archduchess actually shows up.”

Both girls kept glaring at Sunset, before looking away and sighing.

“I’m still taking the shower first,” Lily mumbled as she trudged towards the bathroom.

*****

Some time, three showers, and a breakfast later, Sunset found herself getting her robes on, while Lily and Daisy did the same.

“So, what’s the Archduchess got planned for you today?” Sunset asked as she worked on getting her sashes properly knotted.

Both of her friends perked up in a way that was eerily like the phoenix-born in question.

“We’re designing the centerpiece arrangements for the second and first tier tables,” Daisy said with a sparkle in her eyes.

“I see…” Sunset said, unsure of how to interpret Daisy’s sudden, almost euphoric upturn in mood.

“And then, later this afternoon, we’re going to be finishing up the centerpieces for the royal tables,” Lily chimed in.

“Archduchess Roseluck even gave us permission to help with the stage arrangements,” Daisy chimed in.

“Can you imagine!” Lily cheered as she grabbed Daisy’s hands and bounced up and down with her fellow Easterner. “We’re actually making the displays for the phoenix-rite! The phoenix-rite! Ah, I just can’t believe it!”

“Are you channeling the Archduchess right now, because you sound just like her,” Sunset said with a smirk.

Lily and Daisy both looked at Sunset and playfully stuck their tongues out, earning a hearty laugh from Sunset.

“Well, at least you’re having fun,” Sunset said with a smile.

“So what’re you doing today?” Lily asked.

“Well, let’s see…” Sunset said as she curled her left hand into a fist, and pressed her index finger out with her right index finger. “Assist Lady Inkwell with staff check-ins and ritual preparations.”

Next came her thumb. “Then, meet the potentials and nobles at the sky-rail platform.”

Middle finger. “Noon is a mixer with the nobles.”

Ring finger. “After that, practice for the rite.”

Pinkie. “After practice, Lady Inkwell is heading to Queen Celestia’s castle to meet with the Queen and the other royals who are visiting from our allied nations, so I’ll have the evening off.”

“That… doesn’t sound so bad?” Lily said in the form of a question.

“I’m helping Lady Inkwell greet the nobles… most of whom are from Heliopolis. Then there’s a mixer… where I’ll be serving Lady Inkwell,” Sunset said slowly. “Then helping do practice runs or the phoenix-rite… on the stage…”

Both Daisy and Lily gave her a look.

“Okay, that sounds a lot less fun than what we’re doing,” Daisy said solemnly.

“Well, I’m the idiot that decided she had to be at the top of the class, so I don’t have anyone to blame but myself,” Sunset said with a sigh.

“Yup, you’re the idiot that impressed the Queen’s Voice and Hand,” Daisy chirped merrily.

“Total nincompoop, managing to get picked by the highest ranking phoenix-born in all of Solaria. What were you thinking?” Lily chimed in.

Sunset gave her friends a half-hearted deadpan glare.

“Okay, fine, you made your point,” She said as she finished tying her sash, then reached for her mask. “I totally brought this on myself by being a brilliant overachiever. Completely my fault.”

*****

Sunset found herself fighting an intense desire to fidget as she stood on the receiving platform before the Cathedral. Standing before her was Lady Inkwell and Dylis, while to her left and right were a line of sun-touched.

It was only about an hour after sunrise, and she was already feeling tired. In the time since she’d been collected by Lady Inkwell, she’d been struggling to keep up with the royal seneschal as she dealt with no fewer than five different minor crises among the staff as they began stoking the fires for the rite.

And Sunset had been there with her the entire time, watching, recording, and marveling as she watched Lady Inkwell somehow manage to get the rogue blazes under control and get the flames burning properly. If she’d been in awe of Lady Inkwell before, she was in reverence now. The ease with which Lady Inkwell handled everything the rite was throwing at her was almost unreal.

And now?

Now they were waiting for the sky-car of high ranking nobles and the potentials to arrive from Chromos.

That in and of itself wasn’t enough to make her nervous. It was the presence of nearly one hundred prominence knights standing guard on the platform.

As she stared at the lines of white armord soldiers, she noticed something odd. Despite the almost crystalline precision of the lines, there were conspicuous gaps in the rows of armored sun-gazers: every two knights, there was exactly enough space for a third to go, yet there was no sign of the armored protectors. And like when she’d arrived, the plumed serpents were conspicuously absent from the lines.

‘I bet they’re on top of the Cathedral again,’ Sunset thought as she stood behind Lady Inkwell, waiting for the newest arrivals.

“Ah, bright morning Raven. So good to see you,” Sunset heard from above and behind.

Sunset didn’t move her head at the sound of the voice. Instead, she clenched her fists within her robes and pinched her eyes closed as two forms silently descended from the sky to land on Lady Inkwell’s right.

It was both General Sentry and Commander Spitfire, Vestian and Akari landing on their shoulders moments later.

“Bright morning to the two of you as well,” Lady Inkwell said pleasantly. “What brings you here General Sentry?”

“Come now Raven,” General Sentry said with a chuckle. “As if I wouldn’t be here to greet our esteemed guests. And, beside, my great-grandson is arriving in this car. What sort of grandparent would I be if I wasn’t here to greet him?”

“And what about you, Commander?” Lady Inkwell said as she gave Commander Spitfire her attention.

“Added security for the VIPs,” Commander Spitfire said tersely as she and Akari looked out over the formation of prominence knights.

“I see,” Lady Inkwell said, before giving General Sentry a sidelong look. “And I assume the need for added security has nothing to do with young Flash being present?”

A chuckle escaped from General Sentry’s throat at that.

“I’d be lying if I said it didn’t play some small part in it,” General Sentry said.

“Of course General,” Lady Inkwell replied, allowing the conversation to die.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl for Sunset as she stood there, waiting for the sky-car to arrive. She’d heard rumors that one of General Sentry’s relatives was a potential, but this confirmed it.

‘So, Flash Sentry is the General’s great-grandson? I thought he was just some distant relative, not that closely related,’ Sunset thought bitterly, the idea of another Sentry ascending making her stomach turn. ‘Great. Just great. I wonder if he’s as big a goat-licker as his great-grandsire.’

Sunset’s smouldering was interrupted as she heard the telltale sound of a sky-car coming down the rail. Turning her eyes towards the sound without moving her head, she almost did a double take, but schooled herself before she could react to what she was seeing: the air all around the sky-car was filled with the brightly colored forms of plumed serpents, as well as a small number of winged prominence knights.

Sunset’s eyes went wide from within her mask as she did a rough headcount of the now clearly sky-runner prominence knights arriving.

There were just enough to fill in the gaps in the line of knights.

‘So that’s where they were!’ Sunset thought as the sky-car began to pull into the station. As it did, the plumed serpents and winged prominence knights scattered as one, the latter landing in the gaps in the line, while the former flew directly to an armored sun-gazer and coiling up in the spaces between the now symmetric line of armored forms.

The arriving sky-car came to a stop at the precise moment the flying members of the knights had landed, and with a hiss, the doors on the first car slid open, allowing the occupants to exit.

The first passenger off was a white skinned, blond haired, sky-blue eyed fire-caller boy not much older than Sunset, his soul gem the same color as his eyes. He wore an expensive white suit, and had a look of casual disinterest as he walked with purpose off the sky-car and onto the landing area.

‘That must be Vladamir Blueblood,’ Sunset thought as she recalled the list of potentials. ‘He’s the son of Duke Alexander Highblood, the ruler of Aurorias.’

The ray city where that night-loving dreamer Sapphire Prism was from.

Sunset felt her pulse spike as she glared daggers at the young man.

‘I already don’t like him,’ Sunset thought to herself.

Next to exit off was a duo of sky-runners, a boy and a girl. The boy had cornflower blue skin and feathers, dark blue hair, and emerald green eyes, while the girl had arctic blue skin and feathers, white hair and brilliant fuschia eyes. Both were dressed in light-weight, dark-blue shirts and pants with black boots, and carried themselves with the same casual grace and ease that most of sky-runners had, though there was a touch of military discipline in their steps.

‘They must be Soarin and Fleetfoot,’ She thought. ‘They’re from Spitfire’s Ray, Radia. Really hope they’re not with her.’

After the sky-runners came a pair of earth-weaver girls who were chatting amiably with one another. One had sea-green skin, two toned cerise and pale cerise hair, and light grey rose eyes, while the other had pale goldenrod skin, carrot orange hair, and dark olive green eyes. Both were dressed in expensive sun-dresses, and appeared to have forgone footwear, instead walking barefoot, with silver-bracelets adorned with small bells around their ankles.

‘That’s got to be Minty and Golden Harvest. If I remember right, they’re from Duchess Redheart’s Ray of Lioht.’

Following the earth-weavers came a pair of fire-caller girls. One was at least half a head taller than her companion, and had pale amber skin, raspberry, orange and gold hair done up in spikes, and light orange eyes and soul gem, her outfit consisting of a white blouse with pink and blue highlights, and a black skirt. Her companion had lemon yellow skin, aqua hair with a darker aqua streak, and cerulean eyes and soul gem, her outfit a elegant, long blue dress and grey blouse.

‘Fire Flare and Lemony Gems. Fire Flare’s from Photon, which is Fancy Pants’s ray, while Lemony Gems is from Ardor, and that ray’s ruled by Chancellor Neighsay.’

And, exiting last, were a sky-runner boy and earth-weaver girl. The boy had brilliant gamboge skin and feathers, with two toned sapphire blue hair and cornflower blue eyes. Like Blueblood, he was wearing a well-tailored suit, though unlike the other boy, his was dark, gunmetal grey. The earth-weaver girl had pale yellow skin, her two-toned crimson hair done up in a high bun and wrapped with a yellow ribbon decorated with cherries, and light pistachio eyes with a noticeable beauty mark just below her left eye. Unlike the others, she wore a pink, eastern-style blouse and red, full length dress, with a pink ascot tie around her neck. The two of them were engaged in energetic conversation, the girl holding a hand up to her mouth as she giggled daintily at whatever the boy had just said.

‘And that must be Flash Sentry, the Generals great-grandson’ Sunset thought as she glared at the young sky-runner, her skin blistering at the thought of his great-grandsire. ‘But… wait, if that’s Cherry Jubilee, why’s he talking to her? She’s from the Eastern Territory…’

The moment all nine of the potentials had exited the sky-car and gathered on the landing, the sun-gazer prominence knights lifted their halberds and brought the butts down onto the marble surface, while the plumed serpents shook their rattles in tandem.

“Welcome, chosen of the Ascension, to the Cathedral of the Sun!” they called out in unison.

The nine potentials were stunned for a moment at the greeting. But only a moment.

“Well, that is certainly an appropriate welcome,” Blueblood said with a smile as he looked back at his companions. “Wouldn’t you agree?”

A small chorus of affirmations followed.

Spotting Lady Inkwell start to walk forward, Sunset fell in line with the other sun-touched as they followed behind her to greet the new arrivals. To her surprise, General Sentry and Commander Spitfire began to walk beside Lady Inkwell as well.

“On behalf of the Queen, and all of Solaria, I wish to welcome all of you,” Lady Inkwell said to the nine potentials.

“Thank you, Lady Inkwell,” Blueblood said as he approached Lady Inkwell and bowed. “On behalf of our Queen’s great city and nation, we hope to live up to the honor bestowed upon us.”

“Yes.” “Absolutely.” “Truely.”

“It stokes my inner fire to hear that,” Lady Inkwell said. “Now, if you’ll please follow the sun-touched, they will take you to your rooms. Take some time to freshen up, and then we will begin practice for the ceremony.”

“One minute Raven,” General Sentry said as he stepped past Lady Inkwell. “Hello Flash, it’s been too long.”

Unnoticed by Flash, Cherry shied away as the General approached, her eyes growing nervous.

“Hello General Sentry,” Flash said with a bow.

“Oh, come now my boy, no need for formality,” General Sentry said as he kneeled down and opened his arms, Vestian taking to the air as he did. “Come here and give your great-grandpa a hug.”

Sunset watched as the boy eagerly ran to General Sentry and threw his arms around his great-grandpa. As soon as the boy was in his grasp, General Sentry rose to his feet and hoisted the boy up, hugging him tight.

“I missed you, sir,” Flash said happily as he hugged his great-grandsire.

“As did I. Let me get a look at you,” General Sentry said as Flash let go of the hug and leaned back, a warm smile spreading on the elder Sentry’s face as he looked the younger over. “You’ve gotten so big, my boy.”

“Mama says I’ll be as tall as you some day,” Flash said with a goofy smile.

“We’ll see,” General Sentry said as he ruffled the boy’s hair affectionately.

“Ahem,” Lady Inkwell cleared her throat.

“Raven, Flash and I are going to catch up for a little while. I’ll be sure to bring him to the ceremonial theater when practice begins,” General Sentry said.

Without waiting for Lady Inkwell to reply, General Sentry set Flash down and, turning away, took to the air. Moments later, Flash spread his wings and quickly followed as Vestian joined them in flying towards the cathedral, with Commander Spitfire and Akari following wordlessly behind.

Sunset watched as the five of them flew off, before noticing a slight narrowing of Lady Inkwell’s eyes. Yet, no sooner than it happened than the look vanished, and Lady Inkwell’s expression returned to normal.

“All of you, please follow the sun-touched to your rooms,” Lady Inkwell said as she gestured to the line of masked figures behind her. “Once you’ve had time to relax, the sun-touched will come and bring you to the main hall, where you will be served lunch, and then, we will begin practicing for the rite. Are there any questions?”

None of the potentials said anything.

“Then I will not hold you up any longer,” Lady Inkwell said as she stepped aside, allowing the sun-touched to lead the potentials off.

As they began to depart, Sunset watched them go out of the corner of her eyes. As she did, she saw something subtle: unlike when the Sentry boy was present, Cherry Jubilee was hovering near Fire Flare and Golden Harvest. Yet, even as they included her to a degree, Flash’s departure had somehow shifted the dynamic in the group, and now she was subtly being excluded by everyone other than the two nearest to her.

‘Looks like those two are the only ones willing to associate with her,’ Sunset thought. ‘So why was the Sentry talking to her? If he’s anything like the general, he’d have nothing to do with her…’

Sunset’s simmering was interrupted by the sound of the prominence knights performing their greeting ceremony again.

“Welcome, noble rulers and scions of Solaria, to the Cathedral of the Sun.”

Chastising herself for drifting off, Sunset saw that the doors of the second through fourth cars had opened. On the platform by the second car were six very overdressed looking individuals, while dozens of others had emerged from the third and fourth cars, most of whom were also well dressed, but not as well dressed as the first group.

Once the cars had been emptied of their passengers, the doors slid shut and the sky-car began to retreat down the rail back towards Chromos.

Unlike with the potentials, Lady Inkwell did not approach the new arrivals. Instead, she remained standing where she was, hands folded behind her back, waiting. She didn’t wait long, as the six individuals that had exited the second car began to walk up to her and Dylis.

At the front of the precision was a white skinned, bronze haired fire-caller man with emerald green eyes and soul-gem, his white suit accented by a long, blue cape with white fur trim, and an elaborately decorated dress cane that clacked on the marble as he approached, it’s rounded golden head gripped firmly in his right hand.

As he and the others reached Lady Inkwell, they bowed. Some, deeply with respect. Others, including the one that had led the precision, bowed just enough to not offer insult.

“Lady Inkwell, on behalf of the ruling Dukes and Duchesses of the Council of Light, we present ourselves to you,” The man said, his voice refined yet containing only just enough respect to Lady Inkwell to be proper.

“Welcome, Duke Highblood,” Lady Inkwell said. “I take it your trip was pleasant.”

“Always,” Duke Highblood said with an easy smile. “It's such a pleasure to get to see our beloved Queen’s demesne. Truly, fantastic.”

“It’s a pleasure to hear that,” Lady Inkwell said evenly. “Now, if you would please follow the sun-touched behind me, they will take you to your accommodations.”

“Thank you,” Duke Highblood said, before lifting his arm to signal to his fellow nobles to wait. “Though, perchance, might I request a moment of your time during the noon mixer? Several members of Aurorias’s nobility have conveyed some distressing rumors to me concerning the attendants serving at the rite that I would hope to clear up, when it is convenient for you.”

“I fear that is very unlikely to happen before the rite has been completed, as there are several other members of the Heliopolan, Western and Eastern nobility that have made appointments with me beforehand, and therefore take priority.” Lady Inkwell said. “However, if you wish to make an appointment, I might be able to find a slot for you in the next four or so months. Chances are I’ll be busy assisting the Queen train the newest phoenix-born, and will therefore have very limited time to address whatever has come to your attention.”

“That is unfortunate, but understandable,” Duke Highblood said, before bowing slightly to Lady Inkwell. “Though, perhaps we might be seeing more of each other than expected, should my son be the one chosen.”

Lady Inkwell’s visage remained completely impassive and unreadable.

“If such an event occurs, perhaps. Now, unless there is anything else, please follow the sun-touched to your rooms. The midday mixer will begin twenty minutes before noon, and I’m sure you all wish to be refreshed and proper for it,” Lady Inkwell said.

“Of course,” Duke Highblood replied. “By your leave.”

And with that, he walked past Lady Inkwell and towards the line of sun-touched, followed closely by his fellow Light Councilors.

“Duchess Redheart, a moment please,” Lady Inkwell said as an elegant, white skinned, pink haired, blue eyed earth-weaver woman in a white long-coat bearing the elaborately carved oak staff of a master renewer began to walk past.

Stopping, the duchess turned towards Lady Inkwell and bowed deeply. “Yes, your grace, how may I be of aid.”

“Several of our gathering teams ran into trouble while collecting the required supplies for the rite,” Lady Inkwell said solemnly. “Perhaps you might see to their wounded and sick, should the opportunity present itself.”

Duchess Redheart smiled warmly.

“Of course, your grace,” She said with a bow. “Tell me, where are they located?”

“The Cathedral’s infirmary. I’ve had my staff examine them, but they lack your skill with renewal,” Lady Inkwell said. “And, unfortunately, I’ve not been able to make enough time to tend to them myself.”

“It’s no trouble at all, your grace,” Duchess Redheart said with a smile. “I’ll see to them now, if that’s alright.”

“I’m sure they and their team leaders would be grateful,” Lady Inkwell said. “Additionally, several of the sites where the injuries occurred will need earth-weavers deployed to remove the threats. I will have a report sent to your office after the rite has been completed.”

“I will see to it as soon as possible,” Duchess Redheart said.

“Thank you,” Lady Inkwell said. Turning towards the sun-touched, Lady Inkwell gestured for one to come over. “Please guide Duchess Redheart to the Cathedral’s infirmary.”

The sun-touched bowed, then turned away and began to leave, Duchess Redheart following not far behind.

Sunset watched the Duchess walking away, as she tried to make sense of what she’d just seen.

‘Wait, are Lady Inkwell and Duchess Redheart on the same side?’ She thought as she watched the Duchess walk off from the corner of her eyes. But, before Sunset could further ponder this newest mystery, the next group of nobles began to approach.

‘Doesn’t matter anyway. This isn’t my life or my world,’ Sunset thought. ‘I just have to stay in Lady Inkwell’s good graces for a little while longer, then I can go home and get back to my life.’

*****

Sunset tried not to be irritated. It was an almost impossibly difficult task, given her circumstances, but she tried. She found that the best way to stave off her annoyance was to review her runic inscriptions in her head, or try figuring out new and exciting circuits she could create. Imagining lots of horrible things she could do with them helped too.

Possibly ones that would convert the sounds of select individuals into the bleating of goats or sheep. Then she could at least get some form of entertainment out of her situation.

Or maybe draw in biting flies to people who were too full of themselves. That’d be nice.

The noon mixer had begun not long ago, and was taking place in a large dining hall. Tables were set up all around the room, and were stacked to the brim with extravagant plates of delicacies, from sliced meat, to rare fruit, and aromatic cheeses. On one end of the room was a large bar, staffed by three sun-touched, while others, including some that looked about Sunset’s age, given their size, wandered the crowds taking drink orders or removing used plates.

And standing by the three entrances to the room were pairs of fully armored sun-gazer prominence knights, each holding their halberds at attention. Their plumed serpent partners were, conversely, stationed along the walls between the doors, each one coiled and ready to leap into action, while the colaurata hung in groups of two from chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.

Sunset’s role so far had been to occasionally bring Lady Inkwell a fresh drink or plate of hors-d'oeuvres. She was doing the latter at the moment, balancing a tray with a single, carved and polished ruby snifter filled with sparkberry cognac on her fingers, the light-red liquid glowing slightly with inner light.

But, her current task wasn’t her source of irritation.

No, it was the bleating of the various nobles scattered around the room, or occasionally trying to approach Lady Inkwell.

And because she was always nearby, she was forced to listen to them and their empty headed frivolity. As she passed along the edge of the crowd, the inane yammering almost made Sunset want to take her smithing hammer to her skull. It was all vineyards this, serfs that. What school they were going to send their precious brats too. How they’d gouged a bunch of farmers in the Eastern Territory on the price of grain. Which designer they should buy a new ten-thousand radiant dress from. Or in the case of the group she was approaching, how ghastly it was to discover that one of their servants was caught stealing fruits from their garden.

“I can’t believe it. How dare she touch my precious apricot tree like that,” A particularly haughty and over-dressed earth-weaver woman with pale pink skin, magenta and heliotrope hair and opal eyes whined to a group of other women, eliciting scandalized gasps from all of them.

‘She was probably hungry because you’re not paying her enough,’ Sunset thought as she listened to the noble woman that had been identified as Duchess Spoiled Rich by Lady Inkwell. She, alongside her husband Duke Filthy Rich, were the rulers of Candesis, and had their hands in almost all of the technological research and development organizations in the ray. As well as many other businesses.

“Indeed. Still, it won’t be a problem anymore,” Her husband Duke Filthy Rich, another earth-weaver with greyish amber skin, dark-grey hair and light azure eyes, said. “I had her branded a thief and removed from Heliopolis the very day. Pfft, thinking she could steal from us.”

“And the gall of her, claiming that she didn’t take the fruit. Our dear, sweet Diamond Tiara told us she saw her take it,” Duchess Spoiled Rich said with a harumph. “Such a shame that she had to witness something like that at such a tender age.”

A chorus of gasps and affirmations of just how terrible it was floated through the air.

“Ugh, I need a drink,” Duchess Rich said just as Sunset began to walk passed. “You, sun-touched! Bring me that snifter. I demand it this instant.”

Sunset had a feeling that Duchess Rich was speaking to her, but she paid her no mind, and continued walking towards her destination. Her only responsibility was to Lady Inkwell. Nobody else. And, considering that the snifter she was carrying was one reserved only for phoenix-born, the Duchess could get a drink elsewhere.

“Insolent little… how dare you walk away from me like that,” Duchess Rich snarled.

“Spoiled, hold on,” another female voice said. It was one that Sunset didn’t recognize, but she didn’t look back to identify her savior as she continued on. “Look at the snifter. That drink’s for Lady Inkwell. Unless you want trouble with her, I’d suggest you leave it alone.”

A grumble of annoyance worked their way out of Duchess Rich’s throat.

“How many times have I told you not to call me that? You are to address me as Duchess Rich,” She snarled back.

“I’ll return the courtesy when you start using my title when speaking to me,” The mysterious woman said.

“I’ll use your title when you apologize for turning Luna on me and my husband, Frost!” Duchess Rich retorted.

‘Frost… Frost… wait, could that be Duchess Snowfall Frost?’ Sunset thought as the voices began to fade as she put more distance between their sources and herself.

“If you call not letting you exploit my ray’s research to line your pockets ‘turning Luna,’ then I’ll happily do it again, you miserable shrew,” Duchess Frost said.

“Oh, so we’re going to start this ag…” Duchess Riche’s voice faded into the background chatter as Sunset reached where Lady Inkwell was standing with an immaculately dressed fire-caller with white-grey skin, azure hair, light azure eyes, and a golden soul-gem that Sunset had heard Lady Inkwell introduce as Duke Fancy Pants, the ruler of Illumin.

Approaching Lady Inkwell, Sunset held the tray up and offered the snifter to her.

“Ah, thank you,” Lady Inkwell said as she took the snifter. Once the vessel was in Lady Inkwell’s hands, Sunset bowed and took her spot behind and to the right of the phoenix-born.

“Now, Duke Fancy, you were saying?” Lady Inkwell said after she took a sip of her cognac.

“Yes, yes, as I was saying, the plans for the summer harvest festival are proceeding as normal,” Duke Fancy Pants said. “Our newest storm-dancer troupes are in excellent form this year, as are the flare-shapers, and the earth-spirals. I’d say that the festival will be one to remember, especially since we’ll have a new ascendant to further add to the celebration. Of course, that’s supposing that we don’t have problems from the usual suspects.”

“I don’t foresee too many issues,” Lady Inkwell said as she took another sip of her cognac. “Usually they just complain about having to leave the city for the festival. But they always complain about that, so it won’t be anything new.”

“Indeed. Now, regarding the grants to the Heliopolan Art Museum,” Duke Fancy said.

At this point, Sunset began to drift off again as Duke Fancy began to talk business with Lady Inkwell.

‘How much longer are we going to be doing this?’ Sunset whined in her head, even as she kept her body as still as possible. ‘I’d take making steel ingots over this crap. At least that’s fun.’

Sunset tuned Duke Fancy out after a few minutes of him droning on, instead using the opportunity to watch the crowds of nobles, between drifting off into brief periods of more theoretical runecraft. Most of them were gathered into tight, impenetrable cliques. Every so often, she’d spot the telltale living flame of one of the phoenix-born among the crowd, usually General Sentry or Commander Spitfire. Periodically, she’d spot Archduchess Roseluck’s distinctive fire off with a group of men and women in Eastern style clothing, along with a small number of them in Western style clothing. Despite Archduchess Roseluck’s presence, Sunset didn’t see either of her friends with the Eastern phoenix-born.

‘I guess she’s got them off somewhere else working on the flower arrangements,’ Sunset thought. Forcing down a sigh, she was at least happy to see that Roseluck was welcoming to people from her home region.

“Lady Raven Inkwell!” An angry female voice shouted, pulling Sunset out of her smouldering.

Turning her attention towards the direction of the shout, Sunset saw a group of five individuals, three that she knew, and two that were unfamiliar, approaching Lady Inkwell. The three she recognized were General Sentry and Vestian, along with Duke Highblood, the former looking disinterested and annoyed, respectively, while the latter still had the same smug arrogance on his face that he’d been wearing when she first saw him at the station platform.

The two unknowns were a woman and man, both fire-callers. The woman was wearing a full length red gown that accented her short, dandelion-yellow, red streaked hair. Her skin was light, sky blue, and both her eyes and soul-gem were ruby red. The man was dressed in an expensive dark purple suit, that blended into his similarly dark amethyst colored skin. His hair, by contrast, was two toned lilacs and azure, and while his violet eyes and soul-gem burned with barely contained rage.

As they approached, Sunset saw Dylis fluff up his feathers and narrow his eyes, while Lady Inkwell looked at them with a look of bored, disinterest.

“Pardon the interruption Duke Fancy, it seems that someone has forgotten their manners,” Lady Inkwell said softly as she took another sip of her cognac and eyed the approaching party.

“Lady Inkwell,” General Sentry said, his voice level, “I believe I have yet to introduce you to my dear friends. This is Marchioness Ruby Prism and Marquess Amethyst Mirage. Duke Highblood informed them that you were indisposed at the moment, but they insisted that they speak with you.”

Sunset’s stomach twisted into a knot, dropped out of her body and crawled away to hide in a dark corner. Ruby Prism and Amethyst Mirage were Sapphire’s parents.

“Greetings,” Lady Inkwell said, before taking another sip of her drink, “What is so important that you felt you had the right to interrupt my meeting with Duke Fancy Pants?”

“You know very well what this is about,” Marchioness Prism snarled. “When we arrived, we learned from General Sentry that you had the gall to put our daughter, a Marchioness, on latrine cleaning duty! HOW DARE YOU?!”

Lady Inkwell regarded the irate woman for a moment, before finishing the contents of her snifter in a single gulp, and holding it off to her side. Instantly, Sunset was there, holding her tray for Lady Inkwell to place the drinking vessel on its surface.

“Please bring me another sparkberry cognac,” Lady Inkwell said to Sunset without taking her eyes off the noblewoman.

Bowing her head, Sunset turned and walked off to fulfill Lady Inkwell’s request.

“First of all, I will give you the same warning I gave your daughter the first time she spoke to me in such a way…” Sunset heard Lady Inkwell say as she began to steadily put distance between herself and the Queen’s senechal.

Under her mask, she let out a quiet sigh of relief .

She didn’t need to be witness to whatever was about to go down between that night-lover’s arrogant, offal eating parents and Lady Inkwell. If she was honest with herself, she probably wouldn’t have been able to keep herself from reacting.

‘Was that why she sent me away?’ Sunset thought as she approached the bar, her heart filling with gratitude towards Lady Inkwell for her forethought. ‘Thank you, your grace.’

Reaching her destination, she climbed the stairs to a special elevated platform for the younger servers, and placed her tray on the bar’s top, drawing the attention of one of the sun-touched bartenders. As they approached Sunset, they handed her a small notepad and pen, which she used to write Lady Inkwell’s order. Passing the pad back to the bartender, Sunset leaned up against the platform’s banister as she waited for the bartender to return.

When the bartender returned a few minutes later with a fresh snifter, Sunset placed it on her tray without fanfare, before descending the few steps off the platform and headed back to Lady Inkwell. Unfortunately, she spotted Duchess Rich near one of the tables along her route, forcing Sunset to take an extended detour to avoid the Duchess. She didn’t feel like dealing with her. Not now.

Especially since she had a reputation for being vengeful and vindictive towards anyone she felt had slighted her. Which went double for anyone who was “beneath” her.

Even taking the long route, it didn’t take long enough for her to return to where Lady Inkwell was standing. Unsurprisingly, but much to her disappointment, she saw that she was still trapped in conversation with Sapphire Prism’s parents, Duke Highblood and General Sentry. Unlike when she’d left, both the Marchioness and Marquess looked distinctly distressed. Duke Highblood’s face was creased with a mix of anger and fear, and he kept glancing at the two nobles. Only General Sentry looked barely more than concerned, and that concern appeared to be mostly directed at his friends.

As Sunset approached and held up the snifter, Lady Inkwell stopped speaking and glanced down at the vessel, and Sunset.

“Thank you,” She said warmly as she gently took the snifter from the tray, and after swirling the beverage, took a sip. “Now, as I was saying, the number of mortal and ethical lines you crossed supporting Sapphire in her vendetta against that other girl are beyond revolting, not to mention the utter disrespect she showed me. Now, since you did not go so far as to actually break any laws, and your daughter has already been punished for her actions, I’m not going to press the issue.”

“Um, that is…” Marquess Mirage began.

“However,” Lady Inkwell said levely as she casually swirled her drink in its snifter, “understand that should either of you cross any legal lines, I will be coming down on you with the full power of the crown.”

“Are you threatening my friends Raven?” General Sentry asked with a slight glare.

“Not threatening. Promising,” Lady Inkwell said as she looked at General Sentry. “It is my duty to uphold the law, particularly when someone violates it so flagrantly in my presence.”

“And what of Sapphire Prism’s rights?” General Sentry said as he crossed his arms. “She’s Heliopolan nobility, and you let that other girl get away with striking her. It seems you’re disregarding the laws yourself, Lady Inkwell.”

“Had the girl initiated the conflict and struck Sapphire, then yes, she would have faced the appropriate consequences,” Lady Inkwell said as she met General Sentry’s eyes.

“She’s still a commoner,” General Sentry countered. “Legally, her life is worth less than that of Sapphire Prism’s. At best, she should have been branded for such an act, if not forced to serve her family until such a time as her debt to them was paid off.”

“If the incident took place in Auroras, and if it were under normal circumstances, that would be true,” Lady Inkwell said, “However, by submitting themselves to serve at the rite, all of the children forfeited all status, noble or otherwise, and became temporary sun-touched. And, in case you’ve forgotten, this incident took place in Chromos. My domain. Which means they fall under the legal jurisdiction of my city’s laws. And, as sun-touched, they are held exclusively to the authority of the Queen, and her Hand.”

“It seems odd that you’d go so far for some random orphan girl,” Duke Highblood said, emphasizing words orphan girl with disgust. “Perhaps you have some additional interest in her for some reason?”

“Perhaps you’ve misunderstood what I’ve said, Duke Highblood,” Lady Inkwell said as both she and Dylis turned as one to stare him in the eyes. While the Duke didn’t flinch, there was a moment of fear on the edges of his eyes. “So, I will explain it again. Slowly. So that you can understand it. Had the girl been the one to initiate any of the altercations, or escalate them, I would have come down just as hard on her as I did on Sapphire Prism. But, since she was the victim in all of this, she received the appropriate punishments for her actions, and nothing more.”

Taking another sip of her drink, Lady Inkwell regarded the Marchioness and Marquess.

“Normally, as the Hand and Voice of Queen Celestia, I do not involve myself with such matters because they do not warrant or come to my attention,” Lady Inkwell said, before adjusting her glasses slightly. “However, should such things be brought to me, I am inclined to deal with them. Sapphire’s disgraceful behavior, as well as yours, forced me to notice. You are all walking through a field of obsidian splinters right now. Be sure to step carefully. Have I made myself abundantly clear?”

“Yes, your grace,” Marquess Mirage said as he held his trembling wife.

“Good. Now, I believe our… business is concluded,” Lady Inkwell said with a dismissive wave of her hand. “Be on your way.”

At that, the three mortals turned and walked away, Duke Highblood’s cane tapping angrily as he went, while Marquess Mirage held onto his trembling wife with an arm as he helped her walk towards a row of sofas at the far end of the room.

Leaving only Duke Fancy Pants, Lady Inkwell, and General Sentry standing near Sunset.

“Duke Fancy, would you leave us for a moment. I need a word with the General,” Lady Inkwell said as she and Dylis turned to face General Sentry and Vestian.

“Of course, your grace. General Sentry,” Duke Fancy said as he bowed to both of them and took his leave.

Once he was out of earshot, Lady Inkwell fixed her fellow phoenix-born with a flat stare and a slight frown.

“And what was the point of all that, Steel?” Lady Inkwell asked. “Surely you didn’t think that you’d actually accomplish anything, did you?”

“I’ll admit, it was a long shot,” General Sentry said with a shrug and a slight smile. “But, there was always a chance. An admittedly small chance, but a chance nonetheless. And, to be honest, it’s always good to test a foe to see how they react. If they react.”

“Really now, Steel?” Lady Inkwell said as she took another sip of her cognac. “Throwing your friends to me to be eaten. Have you no sympathy?”

“You said it yourself. As long as they obey the law, they’ll be fine. Perhaps I merely wished to remind them of that, without having to be the one to do so.” General Sentry said with a slight smile. “Of course, the people of Auroras are quite loyal to one another. What would happen if they knew that a beloved and well respected family was being persecuted by the Queen’s Hand over such a petty thing as a lone orphan from outside blessed Heliopolis? And how would the other rays react? Especially if they learn that there might have been ulterior motives on the part of the persecutor. Truly, the waves would be impressive.”

“I hope neither of us has to find out, since those waves wouldn’t just be confined to Heliopolis,” Lady Inkwell said as she tilted her glass at the General. “After all, Solaria doesn’t end at the edge of the walls anymore, Steel. Hasn’t for seven hundred years.”

“Nobody is more painfully aware of that than I am, Raven,” General Sentry said as he crossed his arms and quirked an eyebrow. “And who is it thanks to that those who chose to forsake our blessed Queen’s light and crawl around in the dirt and mud can do so without fear of death?”

“I would never deny that you’ve proven capable of protecting us, General,” Lady Inkwell said, “But, the dagger is only one way. An essential way, when used correctly, but not the only way.”

“And offering honey to the untrustworthy and unscrupulous only invites them to come and steal from your hives,” General Sentry countered with a tilt of his head. “Better to be sure your hives are strong, your bees can sting, and the keepers can defend them, than leave them vulnerable.”

“Then I suppose it falls on those of us who can see the difference to know when the dagger is needed, and when a drop of honey should be offered, or who are the best beekeepers to be brought in to keep the hives healthy,” Lady Inkwell said. “Only hold a dagger for too long, and it looks like the only choice.”

“Set the dagger down, and you won’t have it when you need to fight,” General Sentry replied. “Or be ready if your foe tries to sneak up behind you to strike from behind.”

Sunset could have sworn that for a brief second, Vestian’s eyes shifted to her.

“Perhaps. But, when the one holding the dagger decides they know best, rather than the one tasked with the care of the whole apiary, where does that leave us?” Lady Inkwell asked.

“I would say in a place where the hives are protected and safe,” General Sentry said as he stroked Vestian’s head, earning a trill from his partner.

“At the cost of their health and prosperity, no doubt,” Lady Inkwell said. “But, I digress. We can continue this later Steel. I’m needed at the theatre for the rehearsal of the rite.”

“Of course, Raven,” General Sentry said before turning and walking away, hands clasped behind his back. “I can’t wait to see your next move.”

*****

Sunset flopped face down onto her bed with an exhausted groan, her hair falling around her head like an sheet of red and gold, her discarded mask and hood clattering to the ground. The mattress may not have been the highest quality around, but for the moment, it felt like she was laying in a bed of clouds made of pure joy, on top of a sea of relaxation.

“Long day?” Sunset heard a voice that she knew was one of her friends say from somewhere far, far away. She thought it might have been someone she was sure was called Daisy, but she wasn’t completely sure.

Voice didn’t matter. Mattress too soft and cozy. So a low moan was the only response she could muster.

“Long day,” The voice, plus a second one that she thought might belong to someone named Lily, said in unison.

There were soft thuds coming from down below where the mattress was. They started from far away, but were getting closer, until they were right next to her bed.

The smell of something sweet and spicy began to tantalize her nostrils, cutting through the haze of her exhaustion. Cracking an eye open, she spotted a white, ceramic cylinder held in a light, greyish raspberry colored hand. The cylinder itself wasn’t solid, but instead hollowed out, and appeared to be filled with a very nice smelling red-brown liquid. Something about the liquid was familiar, and pleasant. She knew this liquid, and she liked it.

Groggily lifting her hand, she took the cylinder, finding it warm, almost hot to the touch. On some strange, forgein instinct, she brought the cylinder to her face, and, tilting it back, poured some of the delicious liquid into her mouth, savoring the taste before she swallowed it.

As the warmth of the wonderful brew began to spread through her, she began to feel less like she’d just been trampled by an avalanche of petroquines.

“Thanks,” she said to whoever it was that had handed her the cylinder.

“No problem,” The voice that probably belonged to someone named Lily, said. “Maybe when you’re not about to die, you might want to come over and get something to eat. You probably need it.”

“No move. Bed nice. Food later,” Sunset groaned.

“Okay. Let us know if you need anything,” The voice that was probably called Lily said, before the rhythmic thumping started up again and moved away.

Sunset didn’t respond. Instead, she took another drink of her tsujara and replayed the last five hours in her mind.

It began with the final, shocking revelation that Lady Inkwell had dropped on her as they’d approached the central theatre of the Cathedral. And what her role in the rite was. She’d had thought that she would simply be standing on the sidelines during the rite. Maybe be one of the sun-touched that would stand along the back edge of the stage. As it turned out, that was not the case.

Apparently, as part of her reward for her performance, she was going to be the one to bear Lumina’s egg onto the dais during the rite.

After that particular revelation had followed close to four hours of practice with Lady Inkwell and the potentials to get their timing just right.

Time and time again, the potentials would come in from all sides of the stage, take their seats on the pillows surrounding the dais. As one, they would sit, and the moment they were settled, Sunset would come in, carrying the pillow, and set it on top of the dais. Then, she would move back and take up a spot next to Lady Inkwell and a sun-touched that was standing in for Archduchess Roseluck.

And every time, Lady Inkwell would wait a moment, tell one of the potentials that they’d been chosen, and they would rise and approach the dais to touch the “hatchling”. Then all of the non-ascendants would exit the stage along the same paths as they’d arrived, while the “ascendant” would pick up the “hatchling” and walk towards the back of the stage and out the double doors that Sunset had brought the egg through.

And afterwards, Lady Inkwell would inform them of some mistake in the timing that they’d made, and they’d reset and do it again. By the end, Sunset’s legs and arms felt like they were on fire from how many times she’d walked from the back of the stage to the dais, carrying the mockup of the egg on its pillow. Though, from the tired looks on the potentials’ faces, she suspected they were in worse shape. She supposed it was one of the advantages of having a job that involved actual physical labor.

But, she wouldn’t give it less than her all. The timing needed to be perfect for the rite.

A sigh escaped her throat as she took another sip of her tsujara. Her exhaustion wasn’t just from the hours of practice she’d gone through with Lady Inkwell.

It was from what happened after practice had concluded.

Once Lady Inkwell was satisfied with their timing, she’d called the potentials together to give them one last bit of encouragement, then summoned a group of sun-touched to escort them back to their suites. After that, she’d informed Sunset that they were done for the day, and, after assigning one of the sun-touched to bring Sunset back to the dormitory level, left to prepare for her dinner with the Queen and the visiting royals.

Yet, before she left, Lady Inkwell left Sunset with one final instruction regarding her role: she was not to tell anyone, even Lily and Daisy, that she was the one who would be carrying the egg. After receiving a nod of affirmation from Sunset, she’d sent Sunset on her way.

It had only taken a few minutes to reach the familiar territory of the dorm halls, at which point her guide left to resume their other duties. Which left Sunset with plenty of free time, and nothing to do. So, she decided to head back to her room, and take the time to enjoy a hot bath to get the knots out of her muscles.

But as she’d been walking back towards the dormitories, her thoughts were swirling around and around. Why had Lady Inkwell not told her before that she was going to be bearing the egg? And why had she stressed so hard that she couldn’t tell anyone, even her friends, that she’d be the one to bear it?

As she was making her way down one of the main corridors, her thoughts running round and round in circles, she spotted movement out of the corner of her eyes. Ahead of her, there was someone pushing a small cart of cleaning supplies towards a doorway marked as a latrine.

At first, Sunset thought there was something familiar about them, but didn’t think it mattered. But when she took a second look, she was shocked when she realized who she was looking at.

It was Sapphire Prism.

But, Sunset barely recognized her.

Gone was the haughty pride in her bearing and her extravagant clothes. Instead, she was slumped forward with defeated resignation and misery, her face one of deep contemplation. Her clothing was the uniform they’d worn back at the academy, but one that was obviously well worn from use. And her hair, once so immaculately styled, was now sweat matted and sticking to her face.

Sunset could only stare as Sapphire wordlessly pulled the latrine’s door open, and shuffled in, pulling her cart in behind her.

At first, Sunset’s heart was filled with rage at the sight of her former tormentor, coupled with a small dose of satisfaction that she’d been brought so low as to have to clean up other people’s piss after so blatantly threatening her family and home.

But, in the midst of that rage, there was a kernel of something else. Pity. The Sapphire Prism she’d just seen wasn’t the Sapphire Prism that had tormented her for so long. This was a Sapphire Prism that had been on the receiving end of Lady Inkwell’s wrath. A Sapphire Prism that looked broken.

Miserable.

And alone.

Sunset’s heart was conflicted.

Sapphire had hurt her so badly. Had threatened to have her home destroyed and her family murdered. Repeatedly tormented and abused her because she was nobility, and from Heliopolis. It would be so easy for her to walk by and ignore Sapphire. She’d earned this. It was her punishment for everything she’d done.

But still…

The situation reminded Sunset far too much of one she’d been in not half a month ago while in Lady Inkwell’s office. Of seeing another girl, like Sapphire, torn off her pedestal and forced to face the ugliness of her own actions, and had been left shaken and hurting.

Just like Sapphire was right now.

Taking a deep breath and steeling herself, Sunset gathered her determination and marched up to the latrine’s door. Pulling it open, she spotted Sapphire on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor listlessly.

Looking at Sapphire again, she felt her anger return. She could go over to her and rub her fall in her face. Kick over her wash bucket and run. To do any number of things to plunge a dagger into her soul and twist the blade.

But, Lady Inkwell’s words from the day after her first practical continued to echo in her mind.
Sunset stepped up to the supply cart and grabbed a spare brush, and, walking up to Sapphire, dipped the brush in the wash bucket and began to help her scrub the floors.

“What… who… what are you doing?” Sapphire said, her eyes wide and disbelieving.

Sunset simply looked at Sapphire, and went back to scrubbing. After a moment, a look of gratitude spread across the other girl’s face.

“Thank you,” Sapphire said as she resumed her work.

Sunset spent the rest of the afternoon helping Sapphire clean the latrines: scrubbing the floors, washing out the basins, refilling the wash cans. It was late afternoon by the time they finished, and both girls were exhausted. But, they’d finished the section Sapphire’d been assigned to earlier than she’d have if she’d been on her own.

As they put the supplies back in the janitorial closet, Sunset turned to leave.

“Wait, please,” Sunset heard Sapphire say. Turning back to the other girl, Sunset saw her holding her hands nervously over her chest, and an uncertain look in her teary, turquoise eyes.

Sunset waited for Sapphire to say whatever it was she needed to say.

“I just wanted to say thank you,” Sapphire said nervously. “I don’t know why you helped me, but thank you.”

Walking up to Sapphire, Sunset lifted a hand and placed it on her shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze and a short nod of her head. There was a moment where Sapphire looked confused, before realization began to mix in, which finally transitioned to shock.

“Sunset?” Sapphire whispered, her eyes going wide.

Sunset simply gave her shoulder another squeeze, before letting go and walking off.

“Wait, Sunset, please,” Sapphire called, her voice desperate.

Pausing and turning to look back at Sapphire, she saw something new on the other girl’s face: gratitude. And regret.

“I… I just wanted to say that… I’m sorry,” Sapphire pleaded, her face pained and her eyes welling with tears. “I know it might not mean anything coming from me now, but… I’m sorry for what I did to you. I know I can’t take it back, or ever really make up for it, but I hope that maybe someday, you can find it in your heart to forgive me.”

Sunset stood there for a few seconds, processing what Sapphire had just said. Then, lifting her right hand, she placed it over her heart and nodded her head at Sapphire, causing tears to start welling up in the other girl’s eyes again. But unlike her earlier tears, they weren’t sorrowful tears. They were tears of joy.

“Thank you, Sunset,” Sapphire said as she wiped a tear away with the back of her hand. “I mean it. From the bottom of my heart. Thank you.”

Giving Sapphire one last nod, Sunset turned away and made her way back to her room, her exhaustion finally starting to catch up with her.

PreviousChapters Next