• Published 29th Dec 2019
  • 7,823 Views, 2,160 Comments

Phoenix-born Rising - The Ascension of Sunset Shimmer - The Voice in the Water



The day of ascension has come. After 300 years, a new phoenix shall hatch, and with that, one child with great potential shall be chosen to be reborn in its flames. But, when a young orphan is chosen, it throws everything into chaos.

  • ...
5
 2,160
 7,823

PreviousChapters Next
Ch 4 - The Trials - Shape the Edge With Skill and Purpose

Sunset had to fight down an urge to squirm in her throne as she stared out over the nobles assembled in the council chamber. Raven’s call to order had silenced their chatter, which gave Sunset a chance to really look at the assembly and take in a few details she hadn’t noticed when they’d first arrived. Namely, how the room was arranged: each row of seats was organized by the territory they represented, with a small placard on the front row desk identifying each one.

Just as the silence was beginning to become oppressive, Raven rose from her seat and picked up a sheet of paper.

“First order of business: today’s agenda,” Raven said in her usual, unreadable tone. “We will begin with the formal introductions of our newest phoenix-born and member of the Council of Light: Sunset Shimmer. Next will be updates on the results of the Crown’s investigation into the manipulation of the phoenix-rite by Highblood and his conspirators, as well as the sentences to be carried out as a result. Then, we will hear proposals regarding the filling of Highblood’s seat. We will break at noon for lunch in the garden, and reconvene an hour later to address the changes to the administration of the phoenix-rite’s testing process as decreed by the queen in light of Highblood’s heresy. Following that, we will move on to general business and status reports for each of the rays and territories, and conclude with proposals for new projects from each region. Does anyone wish to add any items at this time?”

The room was silent for a moment, before one of the councilors sitting in a front-row desk rose from his seat and cleared his throat. It took Sunset a moment to recognize him from the rite: Chancellor Neighsay, a stern-looking fire-caller with dark azure hair, light grey skin, turquoise eyes and light tangelo soul-gem. He was dressed in master-arcanist robes and wore his hair slicked back and his goatee waxed into a sharp point, which served to accent his already hawkish appearance.

“The Crown recognizes Chancellor Neighsay. You wish to speak?”.

“Yes, Lady Inkwell. Or rather, I have a question regarding the proceedings,” Neighsay said, his voice containing the bare minimal amount of respect necessary to not give direct offense.

“Very well. The floor is yours, Chancellor.”

“Thank you, Lady Inkwell,” Neighsay said with a nod. Sunset caught his eyes quickly snap over to her before returning to Raven. “I simply wish to know if the proper age of majority will be observed for this council or not?”

“It will be, Chancellor. Why do you ask?”

“I realize that while our newest member does have the right to be here by law,” Neighsay said with the barest hints of contempt seeping into his voice, “I very much doubt someone of her age from a town in the Western Territory has enough understanding of Heliopolan or Council matters to properly participate, much less vote on propositions that will affect the lives of Solaria in ways I doubt she’s ever had to comprehend.”

There was a murmur from the council members in the rows behind Neighsay, causing Sunset to bristle. On the far left and right sides of the room, she saw the few representatives present from the Western and Eastern Territories grow agitated, while many of the representatives from the rays seemed to agree with the chancellor. Before anyone could respond, Raven’s voice cut in.

“I understand your concerns, Chancellor. However, they are unfounded. Lady Shimmer is merely here to observe. As an academic and a teacher yourself, I’m sure you can attest to the benefit of firsthand experience when it comes to learning any system or craft, would you not?”

Sunset’s indignant rage was slightly quelled and she had to suppress a smile when Neighsay’s mouth and eyes narrowed with annoyance as another murmur came from the gallery behind him, including the sound of stifled laughter from a few.

“As you say, Lady Inkwell,” Neighsay replied tersely. “Just so long as observation doesn’t become involvement before the lessons can be properly absorbed, or the right to participate has been earned.”

“Indeed, Chancellor,” Raven said before gesturing towards Sunset. “Then again, Lady Shimmer and I already discussed this very matter at length before we arrived, and established that she would only be observing.”

Sunset’s satisfaction grew as Neighsay’s brows furrowed at the implied rebuke.

“And, as we are on the subject of participation and proper protocol, I feel that I should take this time to remind all present of something: although Lady Shimmer has not been granted her full title as she has not yet reached the age of majority, as a phoenix-born she is automatically afforded deference and respect greater than that of an duchess. Please keep this in mind when you speak to or about her in these chambers.”

Sunset took no small amount of pleasure in seeing Neighsay’s mouth tighten further as he did his best not to glare at Raven.

“Is that all, Chancellor?” Raven said.

“Yes, Lady Inkwell, that is all,” Neighsay hissed before returning to his seat.

“Then, if there are no further questions,” Raven said before pausing to let any other member of the council speak their mind. When no one else did, she continued, “we will begin with the formal introductions. Lady Shimmer, would you please?”

Sunset was caught by surprise by Raven suddenly focusing the light on her, before her mind caught up.

You got this Sunset! Go for it, Philomena sent in an encouraging tone.

Even if I don’t, looks like it won’t matter, Sunset replied as she slipped out of her throne, only to realize with irritation that her head barely reached above the desk.

Of course, she sent, trying not to groan at Philomena’s snickering. Her eyes narrowed in annoyance as she considered that she’d have to walk around the front to properly introduce herself, until she spotted a stepladder hidden in the alcove.

‘So much for dignity,’ Sunset thought as she pulled it out, then climbed to its top step and looked out at the council.

And nearly froze.

She had thought she was ready for this moment, but it was one thing to think about standing before so many people, all of whom had their eyes on her. It was another to actually be there. Clamping down her panic with one of her meditation techniques, she felt Philomena send soothing feelings of safety and calm in through their bond.

Thanks, Mena.

Happy to help.

“Bright day to all of you,” Sunset said as she curtsied to the council, keeping the depth of the bow at the level given to those of lower status by one of greater.

'I'm the one with higher status here, not them. Don't let them see weakness, and don't give them any more respect than they deserve,' she thought before rising and looking directly at the council chamber.

“My name is Sunset Shimmer of Golden Tree. I suspect that we will be seeing each other for years to come, so I do hope that we’ll be able to work together for the benefit of Solaria and all of her people.”

Sunset did her best to keep her face neutral as she got off the stepladder and climbed back into her throne, her heart racing as the anxiety of having to stand in front of so many people and speak started to catch up to her. Thankfully, her meditation techniques and Philomena’s presence gave her an anchor, and she latched onto it, letting her partner soothe her nerves.

“Thank you, Lady Shimmer,” Raven said, before returning her attention to the council. “As Sunset has already been properly introduced to our august circle, we will begin with the ranking members of the Council of Light. We will begin with Photon. Duke Fancy, if you would?”

“Of course, Lady Inkwell,” Duke Fancy said as he rose from his seat and bowed respectfully to Sunset. “My name is Duke Fancypants, ruler of the Southwest Ray of Photon, and we pride ourselves as the center for the arts and theatre of Heliopolis. It is a pleasure to formally make your acquaintance, young Sunset.”

As the duke returned to his seat, the fire-caller woman to his left stood, her arms folding behind her back as she did. Like Neighsay, she had a sharp, hawkish appearance, accentuated by a pair of pince-nez she wore on the bridge of her nose. She was dressed in a finely tailored, purple, two-piece suit with a ruffled jabot that complemented her white- and silver- streaked hair, pale snow-blue-grey skin, and piercing ash-grey eyes and soul gem.

“Bright day, Lady Shimmer,” the woman said with a respectful bow. “My name is Duchess Snowfall Frost, and I am the leader of the Western Ray of Illumin, Solaria’s hub for fire-caller magical research and development. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

As Frost sat, the two earth-weavers to her left stood in unison. Sunset recognized them as Duke Filthy Rich and Duchess Spoiled Rich, the former a tall, greyish amber-skinned man with dark grey hair and light azure eyes dressed in an expensive-looking, dark grey, silk three-piece suit, the latter having pale, greyish pink skin, bi-colored magenta and heliotrope hair, and piercing opal eyes dressed in an equally expensive-looking full-length dress accented by numerous pieces of gold jewelry studded with precious stones.

“Hello, Lady Shimmer, my name is Duke Filthy Rich…” the duke began in a level, business-like tone.

“And I’m his wife and co-ruler of the Northwest Ray of Candesis, Duchess Spoiled Rich,” the duchess concluded, her voice filled with barely contained condescension, before leveling Sunset with a look that could only pass for acceptable in the most generous sense. A slight, predatory smirk worked its way onto her face. “We hope that when you take over the Western Territory, you might be interested in doing business with Candesis.”

“Indeed,” Duke Rich said with an easy smile. “I believe there will be many lucrative opportunities that would be mutually beneficial to both the western lands and Heliopolis.”

Sunset had to swallow the bile rising in her throat as the two earth-weavers sat, also noticing the hostile glare coming from Duchess Frost directed at Duchess Rich. Already having caught hints of their history at the rite, Sunset turned her attention to the next member to rise: Chancellor Neighsay.

“Bright day, Lady Shimmer,” the chancellor said, his voice tight and filled with barely withheld loathing. “I am Chancellor Neighsay, head of the Northeast Ray of Ardor. We pride ourselves as the height of Heliopolan education and academics, and as the intellectual center of our great city.”

As Chancellor Neighsay sat, Sunset bristled again at his tone. Next to rise was Duchess Redheart. Unlike the last time Sunset had seen her, she wasn’t wearing her renewer’s robes and instead was dressed in a white blouse and vibrant orange, red and purple ankle-length dress, as well as a long, red silk head-scarf.

“Sun and land’s blessings upon you, Lady Shimmer,” Redheart said in a business-like tone as she bowed. “My name is Duchess Redheart, and I lead the Eastern Ray Lioht, a haven for those who wish to plumb the depths of earth-weaver magic. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you in person.”

As Redheart took her seat, Sunset heard Raven’s stone strike the sounding board.

“Thank you all,” Raven said as she rose from her seat. “With introductions out of the way, we will move on to the next item on the agenda: the results of the Crown’s investigation into the tampering of the phoenix-rite. Does anyone wish to add anything before we begin?”

Duchess Frost rose from her seat.

“The Crown recognizes Duchess Frost,” Raven said.

“Thank you, Lady Inkwell. I’m curious why we’re spending time on this issue. Your preliminary investigation supposedly led to the arrest of all members of the conspiracy. If that’s the case, I doubt we need to use valuable council minutes addressing this when we should focus on the more important task of filling the seats vacated by Highblood and his co-conspirators.” Duchess Frost said as she placed her hands on her desk and eyed Raven critically.

“I will address that,” General Sentry said as he rose to his feet, Duchess Frost’s expression turning cold as she regarded the general. “While it is true that we’d already identified each of the primary conspirators, as well as most of their subordinates, we needed to determine both the extent of the corruption to the sacred rite, and the full nature of their crimes. Sadly, the heresy was only the tip of the batholith.”

“And were you involved in the investigation General Sentry?” Duchess Frost asked with narrowed eyes. “I know you and Highblood were friends for years.”

“No, General Sentry was not involved in any part of the investigation,” Commander Spitfire cut in. “Dawn Wings and her agents handled all aspects of tracking down the heretics. General Sentry and the sun-blades handled the arrests, with Eyes of the Sun present to ensure that none of the conspirators escaped.”

“And we’re sure that Dawn Wings’ evidence is good?” Duchess Rich asked. “They answer only to Raven, who lest we forget, also was involved in less than honest actions during the rite.”

“Why, concerned that she uncovered some of your double dealing, Spoiled?” Duchess Frost said as she glared at the earth-weaver. “I’d sooner trust Lady Inkwell’s integrity over yours in this regard. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had some hand in this whole thing. Having Highblood or General Sentry’s family take control of another Ray or the Western Territory would be quite beneficial for you and your husband, especially if you wanted to further line your pockets with industry contracts.”

“With that attitude, it sounds like you also have something to hide, Frost. Anything you want to confess to–” Duchess Rich replied with a sneer, before the sound of Raven’s stone gavel striking her sounding board silenced both duchesses. All eyes in the room turned towards Raven as she regarded the council impassively.

“Thank you both for your input,” Raven said evenly. “Duchess Frost, Duchess Rich, I remind you to keep things civil while we are in these sacred chambers. And, to address your concern, Duchess Rich, by sacred compact with Queen Celestia and Queen Lumina, my sole responsibility is to see the proper candidates brought before Lumina’s newest child. How I do so is not the Council’s concern nor do any of you have any say in the matter, as in that regard I only answer to the queens. If you wish to question my methods, I suggest you take it up with Queen Celestia or Queen Lumina.”

In the silence that followed Raven’s rebuke of the duchess, Sunset swore she felt a wave of magical energy suffuse the room. Glancing around at fire-callers, Sunset could see that they’d felt it too. Looking up at Raven, she wondered what the magical wave was, before she spotted Raven resting her hand on a familiar-looking apple-shaped ruby, obstructed from the rest of the council by her desk’s raised lip.

‘She’s using her amp!’ Sunset realized. ‘That means…’

Sunset’s thoughts were snuffed as a loud guffaw came from Steel.

“Really now, Lady Inkwell, you’re actually using that?” Steel chortled.

“I am indeed, General Sentry,” Raven replied. “After all, I want no doubt cast upon the results of the investigation.”

‘Using what?’ Sunset wondered. ‘What spell did she cast?’

“Of course,” Steel replied. “I would have done the same in your shoes.”

“Good. General Sentry, would you please deliver our report to the council?”

“With pleasure,” Steel said as his grin returned, before rising from his throne and pulling out a stack of papers from the desk. Clearing his throat, he began to read.

“Presented here are a list of all actions, crimes and heresies committed by the conspirators who sought to undermine the integrity of the fifth phoenix-rite of Solaria. At this time, I would ask you all to retrieve the packet marked as ‘item one.’ Within, the full list of guilty parties can be found, as well as all crimes they were determined to have committed. As a whole, these heretical and illicit actions were uncovered through the investigations of the Eyes of the Sun, and interrogation by Lady Inkwell, witnessed by either myself or Commander Spitfire: sedition, heresy, blasphemy, murder, blackmail, kidnapping, breaking and entering, torture, attempted theft of divinity, and unlawfully withholding of information from the Crown for the purposes of criminal action.”

Taking a breath, Steel regarded the council with cold indifference.

“We will now begin the report of the crimes committed, beginning with the lowest offenses and working up to the highest. The first count of criminal activity is…”

At that, Steel began to read the report, going into great detail on the Crown’s findings. Sunset followed along as he read, her blood boiling with rage as each crime committed by the conspirators was revealed, as well as naming the individuals responsible. Most of the guilty parties were civilians or bureaucrats that had been placed into the administration that conducted the phoenix-rite but with a fair number of members of the nobility being directly involved, as well as a handful of low- to mid-ranking individuals from the sun-blades and skystrikers.

The mildest crimes involved bribing or coercing individuals to lose materials related to the phoenix-rite, as well as tampering with or falsifying the reports sent to higher members in the administration of the vetting process. Others were far worse and involved blackmailing or bribing witnesses into silence, or if that didn’t work, using mercenaries or hired thugs to attack and silence them.

But that wasn’t the most revolting or horrifying of the crimes committed.

That came with the discovery that the heads of the conspiracy, upon learning the identities of the four true potentials discovered in Heliopolis, had lethal “accidents” arranged for them and their families to remove them as potential threats to their plan.

“All of these crimes were set in motion by the following conspirators for the purpose of subverting holy law and the authority of the Crown,” General Sentry said as he neared the end of the document. “Barons Silver Star and Pocketbook of Aurorias, Baroness Lilac Blossom of Lioht, Baronesses Chipperilla of Aurorias and Magnifique of Ardor, Captain Blazing Flare of Inciner, Countesses Burning Light of Ardor and Ringing Endorsement of Candesis, Earls Whispering Spring of Illumin and Gallant Pride of Photon, Viscount Paper Trail of Radia, Marchioness Gold Leaf of Candesis, Marquis Verdant Pride of Aurorias, and at the head of the conspiracy Duke Alexander Highblood of Aurorias. Each of these individuals have been found guilty of high-treason, heresy, conspiracy to commit crimes against sacred law and theft of divinity, as well as full complicity in all of the crimes committed under their orders previously described.”

Tapping the papers on the top of his desk, Steel returned them to the folder.

“This concludes the Crown’s report on the investigation into the manipulation of the phoenix-rite,” Steel said in a tone that told Sunset the general’s anger was only barely being kept in check. “Are there any questions?”

As Sunset looked out over the assembled council members, she saw most of them looked sick to their stomachs, with an equal number either in shock or barely containing their own anger. A few looked on in disbelief.

“No?” Steel said, breaking the stunned silence in the room. “Then, I return the floor to Lady Inkwell.

“Thank you, General Sentry,” Raven said as the general sat. “Now, Commander Spitfire will read the sentences that have been assigned to each individual involved. As these crimes include heresy against divine law and the Crown, the sentences have been passed by both Queen Celestia and Queen Lumina. Commander, if you would?”

“Yes, Lady Inkwell,” Commander Spitfire said in an even, professional voice, though one that contained her characteristic edge. As she rose from her seat and retrieved a folder from her desk, her eyes passed over the room, leveling a withering glare at the assembled nobles, many of whom shrank back slightly. “All of you open the folder marked ‘item two’ and follow along. We’ve got a long list to get through.”

There was a moment of papers shuffling as all of the council members retrieved the appropriate documents. Looking at her own copies of the papers, Sunset began to read.

“As before, the documents are organized by the severity of the sentences. We will begin with the mildest, and move towards the most severe. If there are no questions, we will begin…”

As with Steel’s previous delivery, Sunset followed along as Spitfire delivered the verdicts and sentences for each of the individuals involved in the conspiracy. For those that had been coerced into aiding, their sentences were fairly mild, consisting of being forced into indentured servitude to the Crown for several months or years. Those who willingly participated received more severe punishments, with the mildest offenses earning them forced labor by the Crown and seizure of assets and revocation of titles, while those who committed more severe crimes would be sentenced to branding and exile from Solaria into the Bright Desert to the north. In the case of the most severe crimes commited, including the murder of the potentials, they would be sentenced to death by gibbeting on the walls of the Corona.

During Spitfire’s delivery of the sentences, Sunset’s eyes would periodically drift over the council chamber. Much like when Steel had read his report, the reactions of the council were mixed.

“Before we get to the final sentencing of the core conspirators,” Spitfire said as she tapped the papers on the top of her desk to straighten them, “we will open the floor to questions.”

To Sunset’s surprise, it was Duke Fancypants that stood.

“The Crown recognizes Duke Fancypants,” Raven said.

“Thank you, Your Grace,” Duke Fancy said with a bow. “I wish to know what sort of process will be in place for requesting mercy. I suspect that many of the family members of those found guilty will wish to forestall the punishments or seek a milder sentence.”

Raven nodded at the duke.

“Under regular circumstances, there may have been allowances for such pleas of mercy,” Raven began. “However, as the crimes committed include aiding and abetting an attempt at theft of divinity and heresy against sacred law, no such allowances will be made as the queen has the right to revoke the privilege of mercy in cases such as these. And, as the guilt of the parties involved was determined by use of truth magic cast by myself and witnessed by General Sentry or Commander Spitfire, their guilt is basalt solid.”

A low murmur filled the amphitheatre, a few of the nobles beginning to whisper to one another.

“Thank you, Your Grace,” Duke Fancy said as he returned to his seat.

“Are there any further questions?” Raven asked.

Rising from his seat, Duke Rich regarded Lady Inkwell as he waited to be given the floor.

“The Crown recognizes Duke Rich.”

“Thank you, Your Grace,” Duke Rich said. “What will become of the families of those found guilty of these crimes? I understand that the normal precedent is that they are not considered complicit, but under these circumstances, I would like to know the Crown’s stance for the record.”

“The precedent stands,” Roseluck said as she rose to address the council. “Any and all relatives of those involved in the conspiracy that were complicit or aware of the actions of the conspirators yet did not report what they knew were included on the list of criminals already. Anyone who was wholly unaware of the actions of their family were absolved of any crime. However, any resources, titles or wealth, including land grants and property gained through accepting bribes have been confiscated by the Crown.”

“I see,” Duke Rich said. “And what of the confiscated resources? How will they be dealt with?”

“Seized property will be donated to charitable organizations in their home rays, while all resources and wealth will be used by the Crown for general improvements and maintenance to the rays, Corona, as well as the Eastern and Western territories. These seizures will not be available for requisition by the council, and will instead be dispensed at the discretion of the Crown.”

Duke Rich’s face fell a little at hearing Roseluck’s explanation, but he quickly schooled himself and bowed.

“Thank you, Lady Roseluck,” Duke Rich said as he took his seat.

“Are there any further questions?” Raven asked. Silence hung in the air for a few moments. “Then we will move on to the final sentencing. As the crimes committed are of the highest order and against the queen herself, she will be the one to deliver the verdict.”

A shocked murmur erupted from the council chamber as the weight of the declaration hit all of the mortals present. Then, there was a quick scramble as every one of them rose from their seats and dropped to a knee, bowing their heads deeply so as to look directly at the ground. As they did, every phoenix-born present also rose and turned to face the massive statue of Queen Celestia at the back of the room, Sunset rushing to do so when she realized what the others were doing.

“Your Highness,” Raven said as she looked up at the statue. “I, as your hand and voice, humbly request your presence in this, your Council of Light.”

There was a moment of silence as the words left Raven’s mouth. Then, a presence settled over the room. A warm, familiar one that Sunset had grown to know over her last two months on Mt. Liakeed.

No sooner had the presence entered the amphitheater than the eyes of the statue flashed with glowing, golden light. Then, it suddenly began to move, rising with a grace that no living thing could ever match as its hair and tail transformed into a flowing, rainbow aurora. As the statue rose to its full height, it raised the royal scepter held in its right hand imperiously over the assembly, then lowered it to its side.

Even as often as Sunset had seen the queen spontaneously turn a statue into a galatea to act as an intermediary, it was still an impressive feat.

“My queen,” Raven said as she bowed deeply to the galatea of Celestia, prompting all of the phoenix-born, including Sunset, to do the same. “We are ready to hear your sentence against the head conspirators who blasphemed against you and Queen Lumina.”

“Thank you, Raven,” Queen Celestia said, her voice echoing with power across the amphitheater. Unlike when Sunset normally heard the queen’s voice, this time it was laced with the tiniest traces of anger and disappointment. “For their crimes against myself and Queen Lumina, I sentence those who headed the conspiracy to subvert the sacred phoenix-rite to death by mourning glory.”

‘What?!’ Sunset thought as her stomach twisted in horror at what she’d just heard.

“In one week’s time, I will administer this punishment personally to each and every member of the cabal,” Queen Celestia’s voice cut through the haze of dread around Sunset’s mind, bringing her back to the present. “All sun-gazers across Solaria will be witness to this dispensation of divine justice by vision projected into the sky of Solaria at noon on the day of the execution.”

The air in the council chamber suddenly became hot as Queen Celestia’s aura began to press down on everyone present. Without her immunity to the injurious effects of heat, Sunset knew that the atmosphere would be painful.

“I am very disappointed in the citizens of my nation, if any among them believe that they had the right to decide who was worthy of ascension in place of myself and Lumina.” Queen Celestia’s voice dropped slightly with anger as the heat intensified. “Or seek to defile the ceremony meant to signify the bond between myself and one of my oldest and most beloved friends for personal gain. Or think that they could get away with such a thing. Know that should something like this ever happen again, there will be dire consequences. So I have spoken, so it shall be.”

And then, as suddenly as the room had been occupied by the queen, she was gone, and with her departure went the blistering heat and crushing divine presence. Slowly, the galatea sank back to its original position, reverting to an ordinary, inanimate statue. Sunset shakily rose from her bow and returned to her throne, her whole body trembling as she situated herself. Looking out at the council chamber, she saw the rest of the occupants slowly rising from their knees and returning to their seats. All of them looked pale and shaken, with sweat staining their clothes and dripping down their faces. Sunset could hardly blame them.

If she was honest with herself, she was shaken. Not just the anger in the queen’s voice and the fact she clearly could have incinerated all of the mortals present if she’d felt like it. No, it was the sentence the queen had laid down. It was monumental, and utterly horrific in its severity. Not that she disagreed with it, because Highblood deserved it for everything he and his allies had done. But it was still horrific to think about.

Sunset, what’s wrong? Philomena sent, clearly having sensed Sunset’s distress. It feels like you’re about to puke.

Taking a slow, deep breath, Sunset focused her mind on her meditations, before she replied.

Mena, I just heard the queen sentence over a dozen people to death by mourning glory.

So? What’s so bad about that?

That’s… Mena, death by mourning glory is one of the most horrific punishments ever, and one reserved for only the most vile traitors to Solaria, Sunset sent as she slowly began to recover from her shock. It’s something that’s only ever been used once before, and it was after the Skellweb Crisis.

Skellweb Crisis?

It was a ten year long conflict that nearly destroyed the Eastern Territory between the Cult of Endless Decay and Solaria. It began when an earth-weaver named Black Thorn discovered the sealed form of D’Compose and raised a cult to worship the creature before finding a way to release it from its prison.

D’Compose?

One of Grogar the Death Bringer’s abominations, Sunset explained, her stomach turning as she remembered the legends of the Skellweb Crisis, both from the horrors D’Compose and its followers had inflicted on Solaria and the aftermath when it had been re-sealed and its cult had been captured with the aid of the kirintal. When Black Thorn and the cult leaders were brought to Queen Celestia, she sentenced them to die by mourning glory. Mourning glories are magically created parasitic plants that are implanted in the body. The plant immobilizes its host as roots and vines burrow through their flesh before binding them to the ground. The vines keep their hosts fully awake and conscious from then on as they slowly shave away their host’s vital energy, the very source of the life in all living things. Supposedly, the agony the vines inflict during this process would kill in seconds if it weren’t for them preventing the host from dying, going mad, becoming numb to the pain, or even losing consciousness before they finish the job. Legends say Black Thorn lasted a century before he finally perished.

From the other end of the bond, Sunset could feel Philomena's alarm at what she'd just heard.

By mother’s fire…

You can say that again.

Sunset’s attention was drawn away from Philomena by the sound of a chair scraping back and someone rising. Looking up, Sunset saw that Duchess Redheart had risen, her face paler than usual and her body shaking.

“Your Grace,” Sunset heard Duchess Redheart say in a weak, trembling voice.

“Yes, Duchess Redheart?” Raven said, her counternance no different than usual. Sunset found that fact almost disturbing.

“I would like to request a thirty minute recess to process what we’ve just witnessed and heard,” the duchess said.

“Very well. Is there a second?” Raven asked.

“Second,” Chancellor Neighsay said, sounding like he was on the verge of throwing up.

“All in favor?” Raven said as she regarded the room.

A veritable forest of hands rose shakily into the air. By Sunset’s best guess, it was the entirety of the Council and all of their subordinate nobles in the seating rows behind them.

“All opposed?”

No hands rose.

“Very well,” Raven said as she struck the sounding block. “We will reconvene in a half-hour’s time. Dismissed.”

*****

The half-hour recess came and went. Sunset had spent the time with Roseluck in her office, drinking an herbal tea blend that the archduchess kept on hand when she “needed to relax.” It had helped more than Sunset wanted to admit, and by the time they returned to the council chambers, she was feeling much better. Not back to normal better, but able to handle the next bout of watching the council play out whatever battles they were planning to fight.

The first to return were the rest of the phoenix-born, who took their thrones with little fanfare. Once settled, the remainder of the Council of Light slowly filtered back in. As they did, Sunset noticed a distinct lack of energy in a fair number of the lower ranking nobles, as if they were still processing the verdict Celestia had delivered. However, the highest ranking members themselves appeared revitalized, and from the hard looks in their eyes, they were ready to fight. Sunset was surprised by that and wondered why they looked so eager to scrap.

Soon everyone had returned to their seats, and Raven called the session back to order with a sharp bang of her gavel stone.

“The Council of Light will now resume its session,” Raven said. “We will move to item three on the agenda: proposals for the filling of Duke Highblood’s seat. The Crown will now open the floor to suggestions from the council. Do any members wish to put a candidate forward?”

To Sunset’s surprise, Duchess Rich stood.

“Your Grace, I’m sorry, but I fail to see the point of all this. Aurorias already has a new duke: Highblood’s son Blueblood,” Duchess Rich said with a flip of her hand. “By all accounts, he should automatically gain the title as it is his by right of inheritance.”

A sharp, humorless laugh came from Duchess Frost, before she stood and glared at Duchess Rich.

“Are you serious, Spoiled? Are you actually serious?” Duchess Frost said as she turned to face the other woman, a cold, angry scowl creasing her features. “You mean to tell me that you think we should install the son of a man who was just convicted of crimes so severe that the queen herself is going to turn him into a mourning glory planter to the ruling position of Aurorias? Are you daft?”

“I’m dead serious, Frost,” Duchess Rich said as she returned the glare. “Legally, we have no reason to deny Blueblood his rightful inheritance, unless there was evidence that the boy was complicit in the manipulation of the rite. But, as he wasn’t listed as one of the guilty parties, I would assume that he wasn’t. Unless I missed something.”

“Duchess Rich is right,” Steel said as he laced his fingers together and rested his elbows on the surface of his desk. “Young Blueblood, while he stood to benefit from the manipulation of the rite, had no hand in manipulating it, just as my granddaughter had no hand in placing Flash among the false potentials.”

“Even if he didn’t have a hand in manipulating the rite,” Duchess Redheart said firmly, “I believe that the actions of his father have proven that his family is no longer fit to lead Aurorias. The boy’s outburst during the rite is proof enough that his father’s teachings have already been absorbed.”

“You cannot judge someone based on the actions they may take in the future, Duchess Redheart,” Chancellor Neighsay said, giving the duchess a sidelong glare.

“Really now, Chancellor? I find that odd, coming from someone who often stood with Highblood on issues of things like imigration bans on non-Heliopolans moving into the Rays, on the grounds of them ‘bringing in undesirable elements,’” Duchess Redheart countered. “Not to mention your policy of not allowing outsiders to attend your most prestigious institutes in Ardor. That sounds hypocritical to me.”

“My institutions welcome all those who’ve proven themselves worthy of the honor of attending through academic excellence, nothing more. If someone outside Heliopolis were to actually manage to pass the entrance exams, they’d be welcomed. And as to your first point, there is plenty of evidence showing that whenever we open Heliopolis to members of the outer territories, crime goes up in the ray where they move,” Chancellor Neighsay sneered at Duchess Redheart. “Contrary to your argument against the boy, I have actual data to back me up.”

“So, what sort of crime then, Chancellor?” Duke Fancypants interjected. “Crime against Heliopolans, or crime against the immigrants? Because from where I stand, those aren’t the same thing.”

“Primarily the former, if you must know, Duke Fancy,” the chancellor replied curtly.

The sound of Raven’s gavel silenced the council members. All eyes turned to Raven.

“That is enough,” Raven said sternly. “Duchess Rich has proposed a candidate. Are there any others?”

“Lady Inkwell, may I have the floor?” Duke Fancy said as he rose.

“The floor is yours.”

“Thank you. While I recognise that Duchess Rich has presented a valid option, one that is viable from a legal point of view, I also agree with Duchess Redheart and Duchess Frost regarding the former duke’s son. I’ve had interactions with the boy, and frankly I see far too much of his father in him. The child is arrogant, condescending, and considers others to be beneath him on principle,” Duke Fancy said as he rested his hands on his desk. “I believe that we have an opportunity to change the course of Aurorias’s future here today. We could continue along the line that led to a heretic that thought himself above divine law, or we could change things for the better. Put a new family in charge of Aurorias. One with greater integrity than Highblood’s line.”

“And who would you suggest, Duke Fancy?” Duke Rich asked with a skeptical tone. “Of the rays, Aurorias has always been particularly insular. I doubt they would accept a ruler from outside the ray, let alone the outer territories. Unless you want more disruption than Highblood’s removal and execution will cause.”

“What do you suggest then, Duke Rich?” Duke Fancy countered. “Even if we felt that young Blueblood was a viable candidate, which I have serious reservations about, we established not two hours ago that we are now very strictly observing the age of majority with regard to council appointments, and leaving Aurorias without a ruler for the next six years isn’t an option. Unless the chancellor’s comments regarding minors serving were only in relation to our newest phoenix-born.”

Sunset watched with satisfaction as the chancellor bristled slightly at the barb sent his way by his fellow fire-caller.

“There is another option,” Spitfire said, drawing all eyes in the room. “If we do not wish to place the duke’s son on Aurorias’s throne, we could always elevate his brother Marquis Amethyst Mirage, as he also has a claim to the seat by birthright.”

“And that would be any better?” Redheart asked.

“Marquis Amethyst isn’t Highblood,” Steel said as he stood to address the council. “I’ve known the man for years, and his loyalty to the Crown and Heliopolis has been unshakable, even in light of the events surrounding his brother’s arrest. Furthermore, since it seems that your primary objection is that Blueblood would follow in his father’s footsteps, then choosing the next legal candidate down the line would satisfy the rules of inheritance, and remove the question of…”

Sunset’s attention began to drift off as the Council of Light continued to prattle on back and forth. She had had a feeling things would be like this, but by Queen Celestia’s sun, she didn’t think it would be this boring.

Hey, Mena, Sunset sent as she watched Duchess Rich and Duchess Frost begin arguing with one another again.

Yea? Is the meeting over?

Nope, the Council’s still arguing over which goat-licker gets to take Highblood’s place, Sunset sent as she rested her elbow on the arm of her throne and propped her cheek in her hand. I’ve kinda stopped paying attention at this point. Can you get to the books I left on our bed?

Well, it’s not like I can exactly get off the bed, now can I? Philomena sent back with a playful lilt.

Missing having me around to carry you yet? Sunset sent back with a mental chuckle. She had a feeling Raven wouldn’t look too kindly on her not paying attention, so she did her best to not let it show.

Of course! How else am I supposed to get around?

I have no idea. In any case, if you’re resigned to being stuck on the bed, think you could head over to my rune guide?

I thought you said you were bored.

I am. Reading about rune theory is interesting. Listening to this pig crap isn’t.

Alright, give me a few seconds, Philomena sent. So, you want me to read to you?

You can read now?

No, but I thought it’d be funny.

Hilarious. Just let me borrow your eyes for a bit. All you need to do is turn the page whenever I’m done.

Thrilling.

Mena, I can feel how bored you are too. So, you can either help me, and we keep each other company, or I go back to sitting here listening to these pompous goat-lickers yammer and you go back to sitting in our room doing nothing. Take your pick.

Philomena was silent for a few seconds.

Fine, Philomena sent with a huff. Can we at least read something a bit more fun?

Sure, but only after some studying, Sunset sent as she shifted in the throne to rest her head in her other hand. Let’s get through a couple of runes, then I’ll read you something from Solarian Legends. Sound good?

No, but I can work with it, Philomena sent, before Sunset was suddenly looking at two places at once. One was the council chamber watching Duchess Rich and Duchess Frost arguing, with the other members of the council periodically chiming in.

The other was her bed, a set of large books laid out on the pillows. From the second perspective’s point of view, the books were enormous, coming just to under their eye level.

But the altered perspective and scale paled in comparison to the dissonance between the way the world looked through the two different perspectives. While the amphitheatre was normal, her bedroom was sharper. More detailed. She was sure she’d have been able to count the threads in the blanket on her bed if she tried. But that wasn’t all: there were the colors. Everything was saturated and vibrant, like someone had somehow made everything twice as intense and bright.

Thanks, Mena, Sunset sent. Do you think you could pry open the rune guide at the red bookmark?

Sure, just give me a moment, Philomena sent as she bent her head forward and grasped the book in question with her beak. It took some effort, but she managed to get the cover open and eventually flip pages to the right one.

Thanks, Sunset sent as she began to read.

Yea, yea. You still owe me a story from the fun book after this.

I know. We can read one about your mom again, if you want. Sunset sent as she continued to study the process for inscribing the tier-three rune on the page and the properties it carried when used as a linkage between other runes in a circuit.

Sounds fun. I liked the last one a lot.

Me too, Sunset sent as she studied the rune, while making sure she continued to feign boredom with the council proceedings. From the sound of it, the phoenix-born aside from Raven had gotten involved and were politely arguing on and on about whatever it was they were talking about.

Suppressing a sigh, Sunset went back to studying.

It was going to be another long couple of hours.

*****

The debate about Aurorias’s new ruler had lasted until the midday meal break. Much to Sunset’s intense chagrin, it hadn’t been resolved by the end of the allotted time, meaning the council would be returning to the discussion at their next session. Several proposals had been made before Raven had called an end to the debate.

Thankfully, she’d caught the tail end of it, or at least enough to get an idea where the council stood on the matter. There was currently a three way deadlock: Duchess Frost, General Sentry and Commander Spitfire supported elevating Amethyst Mirage to be the new duke, while the proposal to place Blueblood on the throne had Chancellor Neighsay and both Duke and Duchess Rich’s support. Duke Fancypants and Duchess Redheart had pushed for someone from outside Aurorias to take over, which was also supported by Roseluck, though they hadn’t offered a proper candidate yet. Only Raven had abstained from making her opinion known.

After Raven had called an end to the session, the council had all filtered out of the chamber, followed by the phoenix-born. As they walked, Sunset stuck close to Roseluck and Amara as the nine of them made their way towards the garden exit. None of them spoke as they walked, though Sunset could feel palpable tension in the air between the four elders.

It was a great relief to her when they arrived at a set of double-doors, exited the palace, and entered a large, open patio area on the north side of the building. Near the center of the patio were long tables covered in platters of food and decorated with bright, colorful floral arrangements. The air was filled with the sound of idle chatter as the nobility had already broken up into small, nearly impenetrable cliques, while servers dressed in finely tailored outfits collected used plates or delivered drinks. The outer edge of the patio was surrounded by a trimmed hedge that Sunset could tell was just slightly taller than herself, with flowering trees and shrubs peaking over the top of the green wall.

The setup was remarkably familiar to Sunset, though it was the first time she was on the outside rather than being one of the people serving.

As they stepped out onto the patio, all four phoenixes spread their wings and took to the air, flying off into the garden, while three of the elders broke away and headed towards the nobles. Raven veered off towards the north where she saw a cluster that included Duke Fancy, Duchess Redheart and, to Sunset’s surprise, Duchess Frost, while Steel and Spitfire headed towards another that included Neighsay and the Riches. To Sunset’s relief, Roseluck stayed with her, going as far as to put a hand on her shoulder before giving it a reassuring squeeze.

“How about we get something to eat, Sunset?” Roseluck asked as she pointed towards one of the tables. “Then, we can head out into the garden. There’s a nice spot where we can relax.”

Sunset looked up at Roseluck and creased her brows in disbelief.

“I’m sorry. What?” Sunset said.

“I figured you’d rather spend lunch somewhere private. I’m sure you could use it after how long you’d drifted off during the council. Of course, I trust whatever you and Philomena were talking about was more engaging,” Roseluck said as she started to lead Sunset towards one of the tables.

Sunset felt her face flush red with embarrassment.

Busted! a snarky voice in her head cheered.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Sunset stammered as she looked away nervously. Not a word, Mena. Not a nighted word!

“Of course not,” Roseluck said with one of her signature titters as she took a pair of plates from the table, and offered one to Sunset. “And the fact that you stopped looking bored halfway through had nothing to do with you sending with Philomena instead of paying attention.”

Yup, busted. Just be glad it’s Roseluck and not Raven, Philomena sent cheerily at Sunset’s discomfort.

You’re not helping!

“I… uh,” Sunset weakly said as she took the plate Roseluck handed her. As she looked at the table, she frowned as her embarrassment was swiftly replaced with confusion. “Roseluck, what is all this?”

“Hmm?” Roseluck said as she filled her plate. “Oh, these dishes are from the northern border of Eastern Territory. They’re inspired by kirintal cuisine… with a Solarian twist, of course.”

Sunset looked back at the table and frowned. Set out before them were plates of odd-looking flatbreads, bowls of different stewed vegetables and fruits in spicy-smelling sauces, mounds of savory-smelling grains that she didn’t recognize, all garnished with exotic-looking flowers. There were also pitchers of what Sunset assumed were fragrant beverages set around the table, though she wasn’t sure.

“Okay…” Sunset said as she eyed the food.

Hearing Roseluck tittering again, Sunset looked up to see the archduchess smiling down at her.

“Would you like some recommendations?” Roseluck said with a good-humored lilt.

“That would be nice, thank you,” Sunset said flatly as she regarded Roseluck, before making a wide, sweeping gesture to the table. “Because I clearly know what any of this is.”

Without a word, Roseluck reached over to one of the plates of flatbread. Plucking one near the middle of the stack free, she placed it on Sunset’s plate.

“Well, to start, you’ll want one of these…” Roseluck said as she began to guide Sunset through choosing the contents of her meal, as well as explaining how each dish was to be eaten. Soon enough, Sunset had a generous mound of food on her plate, including the flatbread, a scoop of one of the milder-smelling grain dishes, and two different types of sautéed vegetables in savory-smelling sauces, as well as getting a mug of floral-scented iced tea.

“Well then, shall we?” Roseluck said as she led Sunset towards a break in the hedge. Several times during their walk, some noble or other had tried to approach either of them, but Roseluck had politely turned them away, much to Sunset’s relief. She wasn’t ready to deal with any of the nobles in person. Not yet.

Eventually they managed to reach the edge of the patio and made their way out into the garden. The two of them walked in pleasant silence deeper into the grounds, Sunset taking time to look at all of the beds of flowers, shrubs and trees, her link with Philomena open to let her share in the artistic splendor she was seeing.

After a few minutes of walking, they passed through a large, arched gate in another tall hedge wall. On the other side, Sunset saw they’d entered an area that consisted of an expansive, lightly wooded area of tall, fragrant cedar trees with lots of low-growing shrubs and herbaceous flowers, none of which she could identify. Yet, unlike the rest of the garden, this area looked far less neat and orderly. In fact, if it wasn’t for all the plants she didn’t recognize, it looked more like someplace she’d encounter outside town back home in Golden Tree. Yet, when she took a moment to look closer, she could see that it was clearly cared for: the path was neatly maintained and kept clear, there was a certain pattern to the placement of each of the plants, and what leaf litter was left on the ground had somehow been arranged to accent the appearance of the plants.

“And here we are,” Roseluck said cheerfully. “Now, there’s a spot nearby I always make a point to visit when I’m here, so let's head there, okay?”

Sunset simply nodded as she followed Roseluck deeper into the garden, her senses being assaulted by the smell of the flowers and vegetation. This place was far too perfect to be as natural as it looked. Not to mention that they were still on the grounds for the Palace of Light.

“Roseluck?” Sunset ventured.

“Yes?”

“What is this place?”

“A piece of the garden Raven gave me for my own,” the archduchess said. “Unlike the rest of this place, I’m given free reign here.”

Looking around, Sunset considered what she was seeing. The order hidden behind the veil of wildness.

“This is an Eastern-style garden, isn’t it?” Sunset asked as they passed over a small wooden bridge spanning a softly babbling creek.

“You're a sharp one, Sunset,” Roseluck said with a smile. “It is indeed. The rest of the gardens may be tormented into shape by the Heliopolans. But here? Here, this is my kingdom.”

Her suspicions confirmed, Sunset looked around at the landscape.

“It’s incredible,” Sunset said with a slight smile.

“Thank you, Sunset.”

It took a few more minutes of walking to reach their destination. Before them in a clearing in the trees was a small field of flat-topped granite boulders covered in moss and patches of tiny yellow, white and pink flowers around small pools of water that were being fed by some hidden source of water at the top of the pile.

Yet, the most striking thing about the glen were growing between the stones: numerous small, dense shrubs, each one covered in tiny, deep green, needle-like leaves with tall stems covered in long chains of silvery, pendent, inverted teardrop-shaped flowers. Sunset wasn’t sure if it was an optical illusion or not, but she could swear that a slow, steady cascade of faintly shimmering dust was coming from the blossoms.

On the far end of the glen, there was a small boulder with a wooden bench on top: the only thing in the entire glen that didn’t look like it could have been plucked from the wild and dropped into Chromos.

Hearing the sound of flapping wings from above, Sunset looked up to see Amara flying towards the bench. Instead of landing on it though, she alighted in one of the trees behind it.

As the two phoenix-born made their way towards where Sunset figured they’d be eating, she noticed an unusual fragrance in the air. Unlike the rest of the garden, the smell here was a mixture of water, moss, petrichor, and a slight hint of decay. Yet, there was another smell, one that was mild and pleasantly sweet, and filled her with a sense of calm.

“Wow,” Sunset said in awe as the two of them arrived at the bench. “I can see why you like it here.”

“That’s only part of it,” Roseluck said as she set her plate and mug on the bench. “Why don’t you take a seat and enjoy your food? There's something I need to do first.”

“Oh, like what?” Sunset said as she climbed onto the bench and sat, facing Roseluck.

“You’ll see,” Roseluck said cryptically before turning and floating into the air above the rocky outcrop.

Taking a piece of her flatbread and using it to scoop up some of the vegetables and cooked grains, Sunset opened her link with Philomena, sending the taste and texture of her food to her bondmate. As she watched Roseluck with great interest, the archduchess called down a small cloud with a short spell-dance. Taking the cloud in her hands, she shaped it into a wide, flat disk. Sunset wasn’t sure what Roseluck was doing, until she removed her boots and landed on the white, fluffy platform. Once settled, she began a longer, more elaborate spell-dance.

Her meal forgotten, Sunset was mesmerized by the grace and ease that the archduchess moved with on top of the cloud. But, there was more. Unlike the spell-dances Sunset knew, the one Roseluck was performing involved more motion of her legs and hips, with only small flourishes of her arms, rather than the twirling, sweeping motions she was used to.

What do you think she’s doing? Philomena sent as they watched Roseluck step and shuffle along the top of the cloud, her feet almost gently kneading it with the tips of her toes.

No idea, Sunset sent as she took another bite of her food.

As the archduchess danced, Sunset could feel Roseluck's flame growing in power and flowing down into the cloud. With a flourish, Roseluck finished her dance, and the cloud began to break apart into a glowing, rainbow-colored mist that slowly descended over the glen. As it settled onto the ground, Sunset saw the plants grow just a little more vibrant, and the air began to smell just a little sweeter.

As the last of the mist had settled into the ground, Roseluck slowly flew back over to Sunset. Taking a seat on the bench, she slipped her boots back on, Amara joining them moments later, landing on the back of the bench between the two phoenix-born. Once settled, the archduchess picked up her plate and began to eat, a warm smile on her face as she looked out over the landscape.

“What did you just do?” Sunset asked as she finally recovered her voice. “I’ve never seen a spell-dance like that before.”

“I’m not surprised,” Roseluck said with a slight smile as she held up a piece of her meal for Amara. “It's something I developed to keep these plants alive and healthy. They should be good for another four months or so.”

Sunset regarded Roseluck for a moment.

“Why wouldn’t they be?” Sunset asked as she looked back over the garden.

“Those shrubs out there,” Roseluck said as she nodded her head towards the silver-flowered bushes, her voice turning a bit sad. “They’re called silver fue’litsi’l.”

“I’ve never heard of those,” Sunset said as she looked at the bushes. “Are they from the Eastern Territory?”

Roseluck closed her eyes and shook her head as a soft sigh escaped her throat.

“No, they’re not. They’re from Himavanta, the kirintal’s kingdom.”

“Wait, what?” Sunset said in shock as she snapped her attention back to Roseluck. “Really?”

“Yes. These plants were a gift from Arbiter Rain Shine as part of the alliance between the Himavanta and Solaria,” Roseluck said, an almost sad look in her eyes as she regarded the shrubs. “A third of the seedlings were planted here, while another third were planted on Mt. Liakeed. The final third were given to me, and now live in my garden back in Rose’s Blossom.”

“Wow. That’s incredible,” Sunset said as she looked back at the plants with a new sense of wonder. “But, wait, why would they need you to use that spell then?”

“Because,” Roseluck said with a sigh, “they can’t flourish in this environment. Sure, they can survive. But to be healthy and happy? They need something that they can’t get in this place. Something that’s missing from the air, soil and magic. Something that only their home can give them.”

Looking back out at the bushes, Sunset considered what she’d just heard. These plants were from somewhere far away, and now stuck somewhere that wasn’t right for them. A profound sense of melancholy settled over her heart as she set her plate aside and folded her hands in her lap, Philomena sending her subtle waves of love in an attempt to make her feel better. Sending a feeling of gratitude to Philomena, Sunset closed her eyes and sighed.

“I can relate,” she said as she regarded the flowers in this new light.

“I suppose you can, can’t you?” Roseluck said as she put a hand on Sunset’s and squeezed. “To be honest, so can I. This place? Even for as long as I’ve played the game, I’ve never really liked it. It's why Raven let me have this part of the garden. To give me something to help me feel just a little more at home.”

“It gets easier though, right?”

“Depends on what you mean by ‘easier,’” Roseluck said as she let go of Sunset’s hand and reached up to scratch Amara’s chin. “Do you get better at the game? Sure. It just takes time. But, then again, time’s something we’ve got on our side. Do you ever stop hating it and learn to enjoy it? I don’t know. That’s up to you.”

“I don’t think I’ll ever really enjoy it,” Sunset said as she poked at her cold food listlessly. “I think I’m like the fue’litsi’l. I don’t belong here.”

“Maybe,” Roseluck said sympathetically. “Maybe you won’t thrive here. Maybe it’s the wrong place for you in the end, even if you have to be here. But maybe, just maybe, you might find a way to survive too.”

Then, to Sunset’s surprise, Roseluck lifted her arm and performed a quick spell-dance with her hand. As she finished, the food on Sunset’s plate warmed back up.

“But, that’s for later. Let’s finish eating. No sense in letting good food go to waste, right?” Roseluck said with her characteristic cheery warmth. “After all, we have a long afternoon of listening to Heliopolans prattle.”

Looking up at her, Sunset found herself smiling at Roseluck.

“Right,” Sunset said before turning her attention back to her food, her eyes drifting over the peaceful section of the garden and the fue’litsi’l flowers. Looking at them once again, she found herself feeling a little better. There was still a lot of time left in the day’s session. Back among the vethris swarm of a council. But, that was then. This was now. And for now, she was going to enjoy the time she had before having to jump back into the fray.

Author's Note:

Sunset gets her first taste of Council politics. And Solaria is put on notice by one very unhappy centaur.

To those not familiar with D'compose and Black Thorn, I will refer you to the Inhumanoids, another property created by Hasbro in the 80s. One that, while having a delightfully horrific premise, failed as the toy sales that it was created to generate didn't materialize due to the cost of the large inhumanoid figures.

Mourning glories are based on a combination of two members of Convolvulaceae, the morning glory family. One is Ipomoea, or morning glory. The other is Cuscuta, also known as doder, which is an obligately parasitic plant (don't worry, it feeds on other plants, not animals).

As for the fue’litsi’l, it's appearance is based on White mountain heather (Cassiope mertensiana).

PreviousChapters Next