• Published 19th Aug 2019
  • 10,728 Views, 500 Comments

Spits Fire - CommanderApplejack



Ever wonder how Spitfire got her name and what secrets she hides?

  • ...
20
 500
 10,728

Magic


"A little lower!" Spitfire called out to her father as he slowly lowered a large block of granite into place, finishing the base of the outer perimeter wall. Within said perimeter stood an almost completely finished house, a few construction pegasi were working on portions of the roof but mostly it was done. Calling it a house wasn't completely fair either as, due to it specifically being designed to be able to house a few medium-sized dragons, it was a massive mansion. The designs, which Twilight had helped to dig up, made the structure resemble an old bastion, something that would be needed if bigger dragons would be using it. "It's in place!"

Firefang dropped the rope he'd been using to carry the block and landed next to it, untying the knot and pulling it from under the rock. “Now to fix it in place...”

Father and daughter both blew flames on the edges with the other rocks next to it and fused them together. "What do you say, shall we grab a bite inside?" Spitfire proposed, wiping away some sweat from her brow.

"Sounds good to me, you had some gems in storage, right?" Firefang asked as he slowly lumbered to the mansion's main entrance.

"Some rubies. I need to ask the Princess for a resupply soon," Spitfire replied as she flew backwards along with her father.

"Dragonlord Ember should start shipping some here too sometime soon, she did promise to support the school project," Firefang replied with a chuckle.

"Princess Twilight too, something I'm all too grateful for," Spitfire said as she landed and walked into the mansion. "The foundations of her section of the compound are coming along very well too. If that building goes up as fast as ours then, she'll probably be ready to receive students in a month, maybe two."

"That'll make this place real lively, I hear she's already inviting creatures from all around the world," Firefang replied as Spitfire got a batch of rubies from the storage closet.

"And how would you know that?" Spitfire asked as she got a hold of the right bag.

"Because she is going to be sending us two new students by the end of the week?" He replied giving her a questioning look. "Did you not get informed?"

"No, I did not. Mind filling me in now?" Spitfire asked as she divided the rubies and the two of them took place at a table in the central room.

"Not at all," Firefang replied, popping a ruby into his mouth and coming down on it. "The first of the pair is called Fireball, I know him a little and he's probably being forced to go. He doesn't like to be disturbed but he's incredibly smart as far as dragons go, young enough that he's not an avid follower of the previous dragon lord's mindset too."

"That mindset being?"

"Armed isolation," Firefang shrugged before continuing. "The second is called Smolder, I actually know her very well. She tries to pretend that she's like other dragons but she's definitely not, I can see a little of myself in her. She'll also be enrolled in Princess Twilight's school when that's running and I can see her fitting in there just fine."

"Huh, alright then. I'll make sure we got a set of rooms prepared then, we should be getting stuff for that,” Spitfire said. “If you could check on the forepony to see how far they are with the roof then I'll go do that.”

“Will do. I'll probably take a nap afterwards so I'll see you again in the evening.” Firefang said as he yawned, Spitfire rolled her eyes and smirked.

“You're almost as bad as Rainbow is.”

“Hey, I can't help your marefriend has a good understanding of the importance of a good nap,” Firefang grinned back. “I'm going to check on that pony, see you tonight my little puff of flame.” He ruffled Spitfire's hair as he did so.

“Dad!” she protested but he'd already flown off laughing. Spitfire shook her head and finished her last ruby. After leaving the site Spitfire didn't take long to put in an express order for the furniture she'd need for the two guests they were getting. After getting that down Spitfire decided to drop by Sugarcube Corner to pick up some snacks before going by the school Twilight was building and looking for the alicorn.

"What do you mean we're behind?" She heard the alicorn say as she came in for a landing at the site. "School is going to start up in a few weeks and I can't teach if all the students don't have housing!"

A worker pony looked at the princess apologetically as she seemed to be stressing out. "We simply don't have the work ponies, princess."

"What's going on?" Spitfire asked as she walked up to Twilight, the alicorn jumping around to face Spitfire.

"Work on the school is behind," she sighed, her shoulders sagging and her ears drooping. "As it looks now they won't be done until two weeks after the start of the year... I won't have any place to house my students."

"That's not good. How did it get behind?" Spitfire asked as she and Twilight sat down next to the small lake that would be in front of the school that was sitting half finished in the cliffside further back.

"The quarrying away of the rock took longer than expected and with the work on your Bastion they didn't have the workponies to make up for the lost time," Twilight sighed as she looked at the pegasi flying around the place that were still busily continuing construction work.

"Are there sections that are finished?" Spitfire asked as she wanted to see if she could cheer up the Princess.

"The classrooms are good to go, it is mainly the sleeping quarters that are not going to be finished."

"I mean... The bastion has a load of unused space?" Spitfire suggested, Twilight's ears perking up at that suggestion.

"But what about your students?" Twilight asked but there was a sparkle in her eyes.

Spitfire rolled her own eyes in response. "Twilight, I didn't invite half the world for my first year of studying. Draconic magic, despite the book I got from Princess Celestia, is still a frontier field of magic. Maybe in some distant past the magic was more advanced but as it stands I'm literally creating new spells by combining spells I've found in that book. I'll have my dad, myself, and two other dragons there to study and experiment with the spells. There will be plenty of space for your students while their quarters are finished."

"And you're totally fine with that?" Twilight beamed as she looked like a filly in a candy store.

"So long as they're staying at a distance when we're playing with fire," Spitfire stated. "Not everycreature is as fireproof as me and Firefang."

"Yes, that does sound like a good idea," Twilight chuckled as she smiled. "I can arrange for the temporary bedding to be delivered by the end of the week?"

"That would work just fine. My two dragon students will arrive by then so they can give a claw putting the stuff into place."

"You really are a lifesaver, you know?" Twilight smiled as she gave Spitfire a quick hug. "I'll drop by your place tonight to check it out."

“No problem, Twilight, I'll see you tonight then!” Spitfire said as she was back off again, flying back to her mansion and landing in front of her massive gate. They had installed a pony-sized door in the gate itself so opening it wouldn't be too big an issue for anyone that wasn't a fire-breathing, flying, lizard. Spitfire's hooves echoed through the halls as she made her way to their experiment rooms. With Dash out at the Academy, Firefang napping, and Scootaloo still at school she had some time to burn.

"Hmm... I wonder if I can get that anchor set up," Spitfire approached a large gemstone that sat at the center of the room. In between the construction project and work with Wonderbolts Spitfire and her father had been carving the gemstone to exact geometry, something they knew to do partially from manuscripts sent down by Canterlot and partially from the trial and error of trying to imbue smaller gems with matrixes. They had been working on this specific Black Opal for a month already, having gotten it to the exact size they wanted to get it and now only needed to cast the spell they wanted onto it.

"Here goes nothing," Spitfire said after a last glance at the notes they had hung all over the walls and started blowing a flame over the gemstone. Opal wasn't the only material that could be enchanted with dragonfire, but the gemstone was able to hold parts of the anchor spell reasonably well so they had decided it'd be their material of choice for generating their teleportation anchor.

Spitfire guided her magic throughout the entire stone, magically etching the lines of the matrix she needed to create the magical artefact. Sweat started rolling down her brow as she engrossed herself in the process, magic draining from her core as she used a vast quantity of it to imbue it into the gemstone.

Almost there... Yes!

Spitfire cut off her fire, taking a deep breath as she looked at the now glowing gemstone. once having caught her breath she immediately went ahead and verified the magical lines, finding no flaw in its structures.

"HA!" Spitfire cried as she held the gem, jumping up and rushing back outside, landing in the garden where a stone altar of sorts had already been built in anticipation of the creation of the anchor. Placing it in its slot, Spitfire flew up again, getting some distance before spinning up some more dragon fire and casting a teleportation portal. Instead of just going in a straight line like the portal she'd been practising with, this one deposited her right in front of the pedestal with her newly enchanted gemstone. "Yes!"

Spitfire immediately took off again, glancing at Ponyville's clock tower to see if she could make it to the academy before Scootaloo's school was out before racing off for the Cloudsdale Academy. Getting up to altitude fast, Spitfire abused a few shorter-ranged teleports to gain some distance and make her way over to the Wonderbolt facility faster. It took her about an hour of flying when she reached the airstrip and slowed down, coming to a running halt on it.

"I thought you had the day off!" Soarin called out as he'd seen her land, the stallion clearly partially through a workout. "Usually ponies that are free don't go to work!"

"Hey, I still needed my fix for the day, Lieutenant!" Spitfire called back with a smirk. "Where's Dash?"

"Probably in the locker room getting ready to head home to you," Soarin replied, shaking his head as he went and started doing stretches. "That desperate to get your bit of tail?"

Spitfire rolled her eyes and shook her head as she walked past the stallion and into the building, walking down the corridor and into the locker room where Dash was indeed about to fly off.

"Spits!" she said, immediately going in for a kiss. "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be picking up Scoots from school?"

"Can't I come pick up my marefriend too?" Spitfire teased after they broke the kiss and walked off together.

Dash laughed as they made it outside. "I guess we'll have to apologise to Squirt when we get back then."

"Do we? I actually made a breakthrough while at home," Spitfire shot back with a devious smirk. "Watch!"

Calling on her magic again, Spitfire made a connection with the teleportation anchor she'd placed at her home and cast the portal spell, augmented with a cold-fire matrix that would allow Dash to step through.

"Wait, you got that teleportation thing working?!" Dash exclaimed as she approached the fire, noticing the lack of heat.

"Eeeyup!" Spitfire said. "Shall we?"

"Buck yeah!" Dash exclaimed as they stepped through the gate, feeling the rush of magic as they were transported all the way back over to Ponyville. Rainbow stumbled a moment as she had to get re-oriented after the short trip. "Whoa, that's way trippier than when Twi does it."

"I see you finally got that matrix working," Firefang chuckled as he walked up to the site. "I wondered where you'd gone."

"You're awake early," Spitfire chuckled as she looked back at the Opal. "And yeah, I decided we'd done enough prep work for the attempt. We'll of course have to make more of them later."

"Naturally," he replied, looking over his shoulder. "But I think you have a filly to attend to now."

Spitfire looked past Firefang at Scootaloo, who was standing at the front gate with her pair of flight goggles.

"Yeah, you're right." Spitfire looked over to Rainbow. "Ready to do some more flying?"

Dash gave her a quick nuzzle and smiled.

"Always."

Author's Note:

This has sat way too long as an unpublished chapter, I touched it up a bit but I think this is where I'll leave it. Hopefully everyone has enjoyed the ride! It's been a blast but I'd like to focus a bit on other projects that I've got running.:twilightsmile:

Comments ( 12 )

This was a lovely story, and a rare chance to see Spitfire take center stage. I enjoyed myself thoroughly, thanks for writing this!

I am so happy to finally see this updated. Going to put my comment here so that way when I read this back later today I can put my thoughts down. Thank you for bringing a conclusion to the fic, and thank you for writing this one! :twilightsmile:

I had not expected another update for this story.
Nice!

UPDATE! Last update unfortunately but it's been worth the trip


11874883 And even rarer, for it to finish.

This is a nice little trip. Thank you for your work.

11875041
...and what a long, strange (head) trip it's been. :moustache:

Well, I didn't expected an ending after so long ! I'll have to read it all from the start for it to make sense again, but I'm glad the story's complete ! Too many good stories get sidelined without an ending ^^

Finally this is done, now let's see the other ones completed, lol jk take your time and I feel this was kinda unnecessary given the last chapter but it's a nice epilogue

Oh dang, I'd almost forgotten about this gem. Time for a re-read!

Great story, sad it's already over :pinkiesad2:👍
A well earned like.

YOU ACTUALLY FINISHED IT AMAZING

Login or register to comment