• Published 21st Jan 2019
  • 8,824 Views, 147 Comments

A Giant Adventure to Equestria - ThePinkedWonder



A young man, who is a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, finds himself in Equestria. It's a huge world for him, in more ways than one: here, he's a bug-sized human.

  • ...
34
 147
 8,824

Chapter 18: Lunar Advice

About a week after Twilight and Starlight mastered a spell to let me talk to one of my family members back in my old world once a week, I found myself in a terrifying situation. It's not the first time it happened to me since I got to Equestria, though. I wasn't even awake an hour here before a certain Alicorn put me in the first one by trying to stomp on and crush me, or I thought she was about to.

But this time it was different.

This terrifying situation was different, because it wasn't something that happened to me because of simple bad luck, or because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, or because I charged into it. I was intentionally bought into it, and it wasn't my choice. Because of something I did three months before.

I was in a dark area and was only able to see about ten feet in front of me, because it was too dark for me to see any farther than that. I couldn't even tell if I was in a cave, building, forest, or somewhere else. I was tied to a wall by green magic so I couldn't move. The one that put me there...was Queen Chrysalis herself, who was in front of me, just inside the limit of my sight range. She also seemed to be fully recovered from any injuries from being blasted out of the cave wall by Twilight and Starlight three months ago.

I yelled out in anger, "What are you up to now, Queen Chrysalis?!"

Chrysalis chuckled, and responded, "What do you think? I'm getting my revenge on you, Eric Reed."

I calmed down a bit. A bit smugly, I threatened, "Are we really doing this again? Don't you remember what Twilight and Starlight did to you when you blasted me three months ago? They'll be all too happy to do it again!"

Chrysalis grinned evilly. "Aw, that's cute, you haven't noticed them yet."

"What do you mean by that?"

Chrysalis's horn glowed, to allow me to see more of wherever we're in, though I still couldn't tell where I was. When I looked to my left, my mouth dropped and my heart sank at what I saw.

Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer, my big sisters, were both lying on the ground on their stomachs, right beside each other, and not moving a single muscle. Their manes and tails were ragged, like if the two were shaken severely, and both had small and medium-sized cuts all over their body. My sisters' faces pointed near my direction, but not directly at me, but to where someone in front of me by three feet would be, and the ponies' eyes were closed.

"What...what did you do to them, Chrysalis?! They're not dead are they?! If they are, so help me...!!"

Laughing at my panic and anger, Chrysalis gloated, "No, don't worry, dear boy. They're just unconscious. They're still alive...for now."

I felt relieved for a moment, but it didn't last long. They still might have been alive, but they were still hurt and defenseless. I was stuck on a wall, so I couldn't do anything for them. I had no idea if help would come in time. Or if help would come at all.

"But since you're awake, dear boy, it's time to get to the...fun part of this."

I gulped, and asked, "What 'fun' do you mean?"

"I could've already killed these two pests, but I wanted you to see it. To teach you a lesson on what happens if you mess and make fun of me, Queen Chrysalis!"

At that point, what was left of my defiant stance vanished. I broke down in tears and cried, "No, no, please don't do it! I-I'll do whatever you say, Queen Chrysalis. Just don't kill them! They're my best friends! My sisters!"

But all that was music to Chrysalis's ears. She wanted me to suffer, so the more I begged, the more she enjoyed it, as she walked slowly to Twilight and Starlight, who were still out cold.

"Yesss! Keep crying, keep begging. Beg me to spare your 'sisters' lives!"

I was only making things worse by continuing to beg and cry. But I was too freaked out to even notice it, as I kept begging Chrysalis to spare them.

Standing right over them, Chrysalis leaned her head down, with her still-glowing horn pointed at Twilight and Starlight, and it glowed even brighter.

"Now, take a good look, Eric Reed, but don't worry too much. You are going to be joining these two sorry excuses for ponies in the other world soon, so you won't be grieving too long for them!"

After giving that evil laugh of hers louder than ever, Queen Chrysalis fired a huge green beam from her horn, the biggest one she's ever fired, and it was about to hit its two targets, I just couldn't believe it. I was about to lose Princess Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer, my best friends, my two Equestrian big sisters, and thoughts of how much they have helped me, and all they have done for me, flooded my head. And yet, I couldn't do a thing to save them. I thought that this was how Twilight felt when she thought I was about to die in front of her.

It felt even worse than I imagined it did for her.

Crying and yelling louder and harder than I'd ever done, I looked away.

I heard nothing, and the wall I was tied on seemed to just vanish from thin air, but I remained standing.

I opened my eyes, and I found myself in a completely different place. I was standing in some kind of a clear "bubble". I was floating in what looked like the late evening sky, but more impressive than anything I saw before in the night sky. It had a dark-blue background, and there were a bunch of little white, blue, orange, and red points in every direction, like stars in the sky.

A calming voice asked me, "It is a breathtaking sight, isn't it, Eric Reed?"

Still sniffing a bit, I turned behind me, where the voice came from, and Princess Luna was standing there, in the same "bubble" I was in, smiling.

A bit starstruck, I asked, "Wait...Princess Luna? Is that you?"

"Yes, it is, Eric Reed. And I am sure that you of all ponies, er, people, know where you are right now, and why I am here."

And Princess Luna was right, I did. I was in the dream world. What "happened" with Chrysalis just now was just a dream. Or a nightmare I should say.

Feeling so relieved, I gave a deep sigh. "Whew! That was just a dream. I really thought I lost Twilight and Starlight."

"It must be fate tonight as one of the nights you chose to fall asleep with that counterspell still active, or you would not be here right now."

I put a hand on my chin. "Yeah, I guess so, Princess Luna. I guess I was more worried about it than I thought."



The last three days, I was thinking, and worrying, about how Queen Chrysalis was still out there, and probably wanted to get revenge on not just Starlight, but on me now too. To be honest, I wasn't too scared for myself, but much more so for Twilight and Starlight. If Chrysalis would go after me, and later Twilight, to get revenge on Starlight, she might try a similar trick if she wanted to get revenge on me.

She knew how much I love those two ponies, so one of the best ways to hurt me, is to hurt them. I didn't even let myself think that Chrysalis might go after the others as well, or even someone who had nothing to do with us. It might have overwhelmed me if I did. Just worrying about possibly losing Twilight and Starlight felt bad enough.

I thought about going to Twilight and Starlight and talk to them about it, but I wasn't sure if even they could say anything to ease me. I thought Twilight would tell me to try not to worry about it, and usually, when she says it, it works, and it's not like she overuses it. But, that only works if I'm worried about myself. Since I wasn't this time, and it was about her, Twilight telling me not to worry wouldn't have been much help, if simply thinking about the power Twilight has with her magic had no effect.

Starlight herself struggles with this kind of worry, and I wasn't even sure if she'd know how to handle it. Let alone be able to teach or help me learn how to do it, like she did when I was struggling with guilt over lying the first three weeks I was in Equestria. I thought telling her all this would do nothing but make her become worried over me.

This was a rare time I fell asleep at night before I shrunk back to four inches, so I wasn't immune to nightmares. Thus I had my first nightmare in Equestria. Lucky for me, Equestria has Princess Luna around to help those suffering from nightmares, and it was my turn to get it.



"Even if you never go to sleep with the counterspell active again and never suffer another nightmare, it would not change any worries or issues that are on your mind, Eric Reed."

"Yes, I know, but what do I do? Hearing Twilight tell me not to worry won't help me this time. And I don't know if Starlight would know how to tell me how to handle this kind of worry. In fact, I'd probably just make her become worried about me without her needing to be."

"Well, for one thing, how do you know that all Princess Twilight would say is not to worry, or that Starlight Glimmer would not know how to help you?"

"Well, that's because they, well..."

That forced me to think hard about how Twilight or Starlight might react. Thinking this hard, I wondered if how I thought they might react was for sure how they'd react. I mean, I don't know everything about Twilight, and there's still a lot about Starlight's past that I still didn't know. I still didn't even know how Starlight got her Cutie Mark! Maybe I was overthinking it.

Luna saw me looking more and more unsure of myself, and told me, "You see? They might surprise you, Eric Reed. And you are like their little brother, so you know they will want you to go to them for help for anything, if you need them. Just trust your sisters."

"You're right, Princess Luna. By now, I should know to always have faith in them, and for that matter, all of my friends, including you. I guess I was just overthinking things."

"I would now feel too bad, Eric. Princess Twilight does that too, so 'tis only natural that you would have some of her bad habits. She is your big sister, after all." Luna gave me a wink.

I chuckled and admitted, "Yeah, maybe I've hung around her a bit too much."

"But you have some of her good habits too. Thinking about others is also something Twilight does, which you have done many times too. Not only that, Starlight may understand it better than you think too. I gave her this kind of advice too when she was still nervous about going back to her village's festival, remember?"

"Oh, yeah, I forgot about that. Okay, thank you, Princess Luna. When I wake up, the first thing I'll do is talk to Twilight and Starlight about how I was worried about what Chrysalis might try to do." I gave a bow.

Luna nodded and opened a portal, ready to leave my dream. "You would be surprised how much of those two I see in you right now, Eric Reed. It may be another reason why they have bonded so strongly with you, and as quickly as they did. However, try not to be too much like them. You need to be your own person. Plus, I would rather you not panic while with a third of Starlight's magic, and try to switch Princess Celestia's and my Cutie Marks like she once did!"

I laughed, and assured, "I'll try my best to do that, Princess Luna. But not the Cutie Mark part!"

After Luna chuckled, she went through the portal she opened.

The next thing I knew, I was in my normal-sized bed, but back to four inches tall. The counterspell must have worn off, right before I woke up. Because I might take naps during the day, I have both a tiny bed, and a normal-sized one in my room, so I can sleep no matter what size I was at during the time.

Like I told Luna I'd do, the first thing I planned to do was talk to Twilight and Starlight, and I waited for one or both of them to come into my room to cast the counterspell, to make me normal-sized again.


An hour later, and normal-sized, I told my big sisters about that nightmare I had, what I'd been thinking about the last three days, and what Luna told me.

Twilight smiled and, Instead of trying to tell me not to worry like I thought she might do, her horn glowed. A lot of sheets of paper rained down on us.

Looking at all the paper around us, I asked, "What's going on, Twi? What's with the 'papershower'?"

Twilight answered almost smugly, "Oh, these? These are just a few of the plans I've thought about to prevent what you've been worried about. I've been thinking about it too after since you and Starlight saved me from Chrysalis."

"A few plans, Twi? There's gotta be over a hundred sheets of paper here!"

"Well, for me"-- Twilight pointed her hoof at herself --"these are a few, when it comes to plans. I'm Twilight Sparkle, Buggie, remember?"

"Ha, point taken," I admitted and laughed. Twilight had me on that one.

Starlight cut and said, "Yeah, Buggie. After Twilight got captured by Chrysalis three times now, and almost lost you when you got captured, you really didn't think she would start coming up with plans to keep that from happening again?

"Guess I should've thought that you'll start making plans in case Chrysalis tries something again, Twi. Does Spike know about these plans too?"

"Yep, who do you think helped write these down? And I'm still not done making more, so Buggie, rest assured that I'm not going to let Chrysalis take me like that again, or anyone."

"And I won't either. I felt the same way as you, Buggie, so I helped Twilight with a few of those plans. And when I say a 'few', I mean what you or I might call 'a few'." Starlight gave me a wink.

"So just try to let your big sisters worry about Chrysalis, Buggie, and we'll make sure nothing like that happens to any of us again. That's why I didn't tell you about these plans: I didn't want you to think about the threat of Chrysalis returning. I'm sorry if it backfired."

After hearing that, I felt better, but also a bit guilty. I wanted to do something too to help.

"It's okay, Twilight, and thanks, guys. But I don't want to count on you two for everything, so can I at least help come up with a few plans too?"

Twilight came beside and wrapped a wing around me. "Sure you can, Buggie, if you want to. We're a team after all."

Seeing how Twilight had already made so many plans thought out to protect not just us, but others from Chrysalis, and with Starlight and now me helping come up with more, I felt much calmer again. I didn't think I'd need to worry about someone getting hurt because of Chrysalis's problem with me, because we're preparing on how to stop her, if we'd even need to. And like Starlight once told me: worrying or blaming myself over something, and not do anything about it, won't do me any good. I guess I just needed to relearn that lesson.

From how Twilight didn't tell me about those plans, I guess my sister sometimes tries to guess how I might react to things, just like I tried to do with her and Starlight. Because I have a few of Twilight's personality traits in me, it was probably why she didn't just say I had nothing to worry this time, but she said and showed it: she would've only calmed down that way too, if she were me. And like Princess Luna said, she's prone to overthinking things sometimes, like me, which was why Twi didn't tell me about the plans sooner: she thought it could make me feel worried if she talked about Chrysalis returning, and didn't want me to think or worry about it, instead of the other way around.

I guess I'll never know everything about her or my friends, or that they'll know everything about me. Heh, it's not a bad thing, though. It makes things even more fun.

But I did finally ask Starlight how she got her Cutie Mark. And it wasn't quite how I thought she might have gotten it.

Comments ( 50 )

9422044
Woah, for a new writer you're fairly skilled:ajsmug:

gotta say i'm impressed:twilightsmile:

9429137
Thanks a lot for that!

I know there's probably some mistakes in there that I still couldn't find or know that I did, but I'm glad to hear you and others like this story.

Very nice story, I look forward to more similar ... good job:twilightsmile:👍👌

What a coincidence; I happen to be working on a story where a kid named Eric is sent to Equestria as well.

What are the odds? :)

9517962
Right now I'm just writing shorter stories, mostly light-hearted stories with takes place after this story that uses Eric Reed, but for the time being I'm not planning on writing a "true" sequel to this story yet.

I'm planning to do it eventually, but I'm Just not sure when.

9688475
Reed...... REEED...... REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!


















I hate myself....

i like the way this story was done nice :)

9727680

Thanks! This was the first story I've ever written, and something I was thinking about now since I have more experience was pacing in this story. Especially after chapter five and going into chapter six and I've been giving heavy thoughts about adding an "in-between" chapter between chapters five and six. But no one mentioned it's an issue as it is, yet.

9688475

You think so? I didn't think it was too bad.

I love how the human isn't giant in this story. It's pretty annoying, at least to me, when the human is always taller than the ponies, so this was great to read!

9834053

Thanks, and glad you liked it!

I've read some of the spinoffs, which I liked, and I guess I owe you a full review here.
If I must be honest, this story's pretty weak. The main character isn't really given much of a personality, and the story goes into a lot of really cliched writing, like Twilight basically adopting him, the whole Chrysalis thing (seriously, what did she think was gonna happen), and the dialogue's pretty bland and predictable. I'm sorry, I hate criticizing, but there doesn't seem to be a lot to this story.

10050352

Thanks for those thoughts.

At the time I wrote this, I was pretty new to the site, so I didn't really know what was cliche or not, so i just went with what I knew. If I were to ever do a rewrite or something, it'll be better with some of the stuff I've learnt over the past year.

Is there anything, if any, you did like or stood out? Don't get me wrong: I appreciate your honesty and you're definitely not trying to be mean about it, and knowing not to do or try to avoid doing is useful. But it's tough to use even constructive criticism if It doesn't give me anything to build on. Not because I just don't want to, though. I know some writers may look the other way when they get criticism they don't like, but I try not to be and take any and all criticism into account.

That's the criticism I love to get. The kind that don't just tell me what I did wrong or could have done better, but also what I did right or what worked mixed in,

10150645
Ahh, but cartoons are but a modern incarnation of legends. The medium is unimportant, but the message contained within carries the core. For what is a legend, but a story sharing a message?

10150668

Hmm. I've never once heard cartoons being thought of like that. Said that way, assuming that Twilight would think of cartoons in that way, saying it that way could work on the post-EQG Twilight and post-Mirror Magic Starlight, given they both learned about cartoons.

But again, that's assuming Twilight and Starlight think of cartoons in that way, so they could back you up. The rest of the mane 6 (except maybe Pinkie) shouldn't even know what a cartoon is, let alone that it could be thought of in a similar way as Equestria's legends.

If Twilight and Starlight wouldn't think of cartoons like legends, that explanation would just confuse them as well as the others. In which case, all the whole group would get out of it is that beings from another world have been watching them without them ever knowing, which is really the truth, but also saying it like it's a "legend" could help justfly it.

Wow I remember before I made an actual Fimfiction account, this was one of the first stories I read, I loved it so much:twilightsmile:

10333964

This was one of the first ones you read? Neat! Like you loved it! :twilightsmile:

this may seem weird but i work with a guy named Eric Reed

10342469

Neat! With Eric being a very common first name and Reed's not an unusual last name, I had a feeling someone that either has that name or knows someone that does would come sooner and later.

10342670
yep and now I have to read this just for the novelty it will bring at work

10614172
So, because he’s caring about her “too much” he’s suspicious?

10614215

In Applejack's eyes, yes. When you're already suspicious of someone, anything they do, even if it's not much of anything, is going to look more suspicious. It's even more so because Applejack is sensing correctly that Eric was lying about how much he knew, which Applejack was reacting to.

I don't know how to explain it any better than that, other than just say that's how people/ponies act when they are suspicious of something/someone: they are much more sensitive to anything that might support their suspicions.

Luna nodded and opened a portal, ready to leave my dream. "You would be surprised how much of those two I see in you right now, Eric Reed. It may be another reason why they have bonded so strongly with you, and as quickly as they did. However, try not to be too much like them. You need to be your own person. And I would rather you not panic while with a third of Starlight's magic, and try to switch Princess Celestia's and my Cutie Marks like she once did!"

He still has her magic?

Starlight cut and said, "Yeah, Buggie. After Twilight got captured by Chrysalis twice now, and almost lost you when you got captured, you really didn't think she would start coming up with plans to keep that from happening again?

Twice?

10615782

He still has her magic?

He doesn't. Luna was really just making a joke about what Eric might do if he became too much like Starlight and did more things that she had done, such as panic and switch Luna's and Celestia's Cutie Marks.

Starlight cut and said, "Yeah, Buggie. After Twilight got captured by Chrysalis twice now, and almost lost you when you got captured, you really didn't think she would start coming up with plans to keep that from happening again?

Twice?

You found another error I failed to catch. I was thinking about how Twilight was caught in the season 6 finale, so that was why Starlight said "twice". But it's really three times, since Twilight was also caught by Chrysalis in the season 2 finale. She freed herself in the S2 finale, so I wasn't thinking about it,

10616120
I honestly forgot to count those, because I thought she was only captured once by chrysalis.

10616141
Is it even possible for Eric to even have magic?

10616273

technically, Eric "has" magic, but it's the magic from the Nightmare Prevention Spell. It entered his body and it never left, but he can't use it.

10616290
No, I mean permanently.

10616354

theoretically, he could.

10616704
Theoretically?

10616956
Yeah, if a spell that would keep magic in his body permanently is cast, he could have magic indefinitely. His body isn't meant to hold it, but it's not impossible for it, given it's not too much.

If you talking about Eric having/using magic naturally, like how unicorns and alicorns do, that would be impossible without him being turned into a unicorn/alicorn.

10616968
I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree about being impossible for protagonists to have magic. If an author wished to they could do so without it being totally unrealistic by citing the many myths, Legends and lore involving Magic in our world one face-palmingly obvious example is Merlin. With regard as to why magic is merely the stuff of myths and legends one could cite dark and tragic instances of persecution such as our own Salem witch trials of the US. I hope my ramblings are not seen as being critical or just a straight up jerk as thats not my intention at all I merely wanted to share my thoughts that could be incorporated into or create a whole new story with an author I have come to respect even with not yet having read the original story of how Eric came to be in Equestria (I'm starting on it right now don't worry lol)...

One little nitpick I have is with the size descriptions of the ponies or at least Twilight, I see her as only coming up to chest height at the most with standard ponies being more like waist height (though that maybe because I'm 6' 6" lol)

Thank you for your time, keep up the splendid work!!

10759541

With regard as to why magic is merely the stuff of myths and legends one could cite dark and tragic instances of persecution such as our own Salem witch trials of the US

I've seen some more scientific videos about that, and it appears to really have been a case of psychosis (or something similar) rather than outright magic, so I personally (at least right now) don't count that or similar events as "magic". That said, it's more of how this world operates and how things were at the end of it than anything else. It's possible things could change and that Eric could gain the ability to use magic on his own, but for the sake of potential future stories, I can't say too much more.

One little nitpick I have is with the size descriptions of the ponies or at least Twilight, I see her as only coming up to chest height at the most with standard ponies being more like waist height (though that maybe because I'm 6' 6" lol)

To be honest, that is just more of a choice I made at the time I wrote this story. However, not counting a HiE story I adopted, if I write more HiE stories that don't take place in this continuity, ponies will very likely be shorter, more like what you said about Twilight or another full-grown pony coming up to chest level of a adult human. You could think of how tall the ponies are here as more of a quirk that's unique in my Eric Reed stories.

I hope my ramblings are not seen as being critical or just a straight up jerk as thats not my intention at all I merely wanted to share my thoughts that could be incorporated into or create a whole new story with an author I

Oh, don't worry, you never gave off the vibe of a jerk, since all you did was point out some factors that were why you disagreed and was quite peaceful about it. Since you never got nasty or aggressive, I'm perfectly okay with what you said, In fact, if what you brought up gives me an idea from something I'll end up doing. I'll even give you credit for it:twilightsmile:

Thank you for your time, keep up the splendid work!!

Thanks, and I will try!

Wow... just wow, that was amazing, bravo my friend bravo, I'm not to proud or ashamed to admit that this story plucked at my Heartstrings and unleashed some serious water works at times :raritycry: :fluttercry: now having finished this story I'm off to read everything else you have to offer...sniffle

10761204

Thanks a lot, and I'm glad you enjoyed my story!

What's the order for the sequel stories? There's so many I don't wanna accidentally read out of order.

11030745
More will be added over time, but chronologically, they are in this order, starting with the one that first takes place after this story. I generally wrote the spinoff stories in a way where the overall continuity is loose, so you can pretty much read them in any order and even skip ones that don't interest you if you wanted, and you wouldn't miss anything critical. The only one (so far) that really changed the status quo is "When Dating a Sunset..." although Sunset only appears in a handful of stories anyway.

A Great and Powerful Test

Too Many Marefriends (And wives)

WAY Too Many Marefriends and Girlfriends(?)

The Advice That keeps Giving

To Prank a Glimmer

The Misunderstanding

Twilight's Bookless Week (Celestia Help Us!!)

The BSBFFs and LBBFF

A BIG Day With Cadance

Don't Go In, Twilight!

Pinkie Pie, What Did You Do?!

Spike, Why Is Starie Not Moving?

When Dating Advice Doesn't Work...

When Dating a Sunset...

Alicorns And Beards

How To Frustrate Your Adorkable Alicorn

That Morning I Woke Up With an Alicorn Princess

That Afternoon I Lied About Impregnating an Alicorn Princess

Starlight, I'm Sorry!

Otherworldly Music Craze

Today's His BIRTHDAY?!

The Princess of Ear Scratches

Truth or Cuddle?

Would You Rather...?

Massaging Rarity

I generally wrote the spinoff stories in a way where they are each self-contained, like most FIM episodes are and the overall continuity is loose, so you can pretty much read them in any order, and even skip ones that don't interest you if you wanted, and you wouldn't miss anything critical. The only one (so far) that's really changed the status quo is "When Dating a Sunset..."

I was meaning to have a list of the stories on my profile for easy and immediate access to them in one spot, which I'm finally going to do now.

Since you asked for the order of the spinoff stories, I take it you enjoyed this story: in which case, I'm glad you did!

11249249
Im not joking. No way would i go into fire for ANYONE. Its a perfect opportunity to get YouTube famous though Also im not sick. Im actually a very healthy piece of shit. Bakka

There were a lot of grammarly mistake, just so you know to improve.

11626800

My grammar's a lot better now compared to how it was when I wrote this story. There were even a lot more errors originally that I later fixed

11626842
Reduce the announcing characters names to a minimum and less description towards storytelling.

Laughing at my panic and anger, Chrysalis gloated, "No, don't worry, dear boy. They're just unconscious. They're still alive...for now."

11864480
Thanks for pointing out those errors and they should all be fixed now.

Login or register to comment