• Published 21st Jan 2019
  • 8,786 Views, 147 Comments

A Giant Adventure to Equestria - ThePinkedWonder



A young man, who is a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, finds himself in Equestria. It's a huge world for him, in more ways than one: here, he's a bug-sized human.

  • ...
34
 147
 8,786

Chapter 17: The Talk and a Flight

After five months since I arrived in Equestria, I've been through a lot. From dodging the hooves of giant ponies to taking on Queen Chrysalis, it's been a trip to remember, to say the least.

But my trip to Equestria looked like it'd be a permanent trip. Twilight told me that she'd never be able to get me back to my world, because the counterspell would never be powerful enough to do it. While Equestria became like a second home, I still wanted to go back to my world and see my family eventually. So knowing it'd never happen put me into a depression.

Over the next week, partly in thanks to the party Pinkie threw the day after Twilight told me I'd never go back to my world, I would come out of my room, though I spent a lot of time in there and didn't want to leave the castle much. But the others tried hard to cheer me up and even Sunset came to Equestria to give it a shot! My two pony sisters and Dragon brother tried especially hard; Starlight might've tried the hardest, because the roles were reversed from when we first met, when I was trying to cheer her up.

On the fifth day of that week, Twilight took Starlight and me to Princess Celestia to see if she could help. But, like Twi already thought, because she once went to Celestia for help when she was still trying to learn the counterspell, even Celestia was stumped. At the very least, Celestia explained that I somehow gained a one-time premonition ability when the Nightmare Prevention Spell entered me. It was why I had that dream about protecting Twilight months before it happened for real.

Twilight or Starlight never even thought of doing this, but Celestia also told them to don't try to remove the magic from my body and wait for it to dissipate on its own. It would take a long time, and my body's gotten too used to it so it could damage my body, or even kill me, if it were taken away now. The counterspell only negates the magic's effect on my size for a while, but it doesn't remove it, so it can be done on me safely.

Out of desperation, Twilight and Starlight, with both Princess Celestia's and Sunburst's help, tracked down as much information about the Multiverse as they could. With Spike doing what he could, my pony sisters were dead-set on trying to find something they could do, and keep the promise they made to me. Starlight even tried to find a way to become an Alicorn, thinking the Alicorn transformation might power her up to let her do something for me that she couldn't do as a Unicorn.

Yep, Starlight trying to become an Alicorn was crazy, but something bronies and pegasisters should know by now about Starlight Glimmer: she's not above trying crazy ideas!

However, even if Starlight could've found a way to trigger Starlicorn, she wouldn't need to. A month after the battle with Queen Chrysalis, Starlight, as a Unicorn, and Twilight found that "something".


With me fully healed from my injuries from the battle with Queen Chrysalis, while feeling more cheered up, but still a bit down, Starlight suddenly wanted me to go with her in the woods just outside of Ponyville. I was at my real size, so I wasn't on her head or back. She wouldn't tell me why she wanted me to come, just that she wanted me to go, badly.

Starlight liked to spend some time alone with me every once in a while, and still does (Twilight does too) but she wanted me to go too badly, and was hurrying me along too much for it to be just that. That pony had to be up to something, and I hoped it wouldn't be one of her...Starlight plans.

"Come on, Eric! Hurry up!"

Running right behind Starlight about as fast as I could, but still unable to keep up with her so she was pulling away, I yelled, "I'm trying, Starie, but I can't run as fast as you, remember? Unlike ponies, I only have two legs!"

That made Starlight stop running on the spot and nearly made me run into her flank. "Oh, right. I forgot. I'm still getting used to walking and running around with you like this."

"Me too. It wasn't that long ago when I was always on your back or head. But why won't you tell me why you want to take me in the woods so bad?"

"Because it won't be a surprise if I tell you, would it?"

"Well, no, I guess not."

"But we're almost where I want us to go, so just wait another minute, and you'll see!"

Since I started calling Twilight "Twi" I thought that I should think of a nickname to call Starlight. I thought about just calling her "Star" but I thought that was too easy. So I came up with "Starie" and she really likes that nickname I picked for her. Spike calls Starlight "Starie" now too sometimes when he feels like it, but not nearly as often as I do. Most of the time, it's a name only I use for Starlight.

Walking at a normal pace, Starlight and I made our way through the woods, through some grass and over some branches. As we got into the deeper parts of it, where the grass was the thickest, just above my ankles, and the tall trees were partly blocking out the sun, we saw Twilight standing there waiting. Twilight had a big smirk on her face, which most of the time meant she was about to do something to mess with me. But it seemed odd for her to want me to go this deep in the woods just to do it, so I thought something else was up.

"Twi? What's going on?"

"Do you remember what happened in this area of the woods, Eric?"

I turned my head back and forth a couple of times. "No, I don't think I remember."

"Well, I do. This is where you and I first met, six months ago."

I bent down to take a closer look at the ground, and I noticed that this was where I first woke up in Equestria, and where Twilight found me. And where I thought she wanted to crush me with one of her hooves, thinking I was a bug. Of course, I wasn't gonna bring that last part up.

"Oh yeah, you're right. I guess I didn't recognize it from this height. But what's going on?"

Twilight's grin got bigger. "I got a big surprise for you, Eric."

Thinking about that "big surprise" she gave me three months ago, when she playfully squeezed me in her forelegs, I huffed and asked, "It's not like that last 'big surprise' you gave me, is it, Twi?"

"Oh no, it's nothing like that this time, I promise. Trust me, You're gonna love this surprise!"

Starlight, who was beside me, walked to and stood right beside Twilight.

Twilight stopped grinning and told me, "Just stay there, and be still, Eric. Okay?"

I nodded, and Twilight's and Starlight's horns glowed. A green smoke of magic came from their horns and it surrounded me. Once the smoke formed itself into a ball around me, Twilight said, "Now, Eric, while staying in that ball of magic, call out to either one of your parents or sisters in your world, all right?

My heart started racing, and I quickly asked, "Mom?"

Their horns glowed a bit brighter, and I heard a voice that I didn't think I'd hear ever again.

"Eric?! Is that you? Where are you?!"

It belonged to my mom.

"Mom?! Did you hear me, Mom?!"

I started to move out of surprise, but Twilight reminded me not to move, worried I might come out of the green smoke by mistake.

"Yes, Eric, I can. Where are you?"

Tears flooded from my eyes in pure happiness. I couldn't believe I was hearing my mom's voice again! I went on to try to explain what happened to me, and where I was.

"...And that's what happened. Right now, Twilight and Starlight are casting some kind of spell to let us talk.

"Wow, Eric. I can't believe that you've been through all that. But you sound like you've really grown up in this 'Equestria' you're in."

"Ha, yeah, I guess I have."

"But those two ponies you just said, uh, 'Princess Twilight Glimmer' and 'Starlight Sparkle', that are now like pony big sisters to you? Are they there right now, and can they hear us?"

"No, no! They're 'Princess Twilight Sparkle' and 'Starlight Glimmer'! And I'll ask them."

I looked over to Twilight and Starlight, and they both had annoyed frowns. I guess they didn't like my mom mixing their names up. Heh, touchy, aren't they?

"Did you hear my mom just now? She asked if you two could hear us"

Twilight answered, "Yes, we can hear her."

"Does she want to talk to you alone?"

"I'll ask her. Mom, did you hear what Sta--"

"Don't worry, Eric, I just heard them. And no, I just wanted to tell them thank you for taking care and protecting you."

"It's no problem at all, Mrs. Reed. He's not a pony, but Eric's just like our little brother now, so we'll do all we can to protect and be here for him."

"Yeah! Twilight and I are two of the most powerful ponies in Equestria, so he's in good hooves with us! He won't be hurt ever again with us around!

"Hooves...? Oh, yeah, I guess ponies would say 'hooves' in place of 'hands'. And thank you so much! Please be sure to watch over my boy, okay, Princess Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer?"

"We will, Mrs. Reed. And you can just call me 'Twilight'."

"And you can just call me 'Starlight'."

"But our spell's gonna wear off in about a minute, so you'll have to finish this soon," Twilight warned us.

"But don't worry, we'll be able to cast this spell again in a week and we can do it weekly, so we'll be able to do this every week, if you two want."

"Okay, you heard that, Mom? You want to talk again next week?"

"Oh yes, I do! What do I have to do?"

"You won't have to do anything, Mrs. Reed. Starlight and I will do everything. All you have to do, when Eric calls out, is just talk to him, like you're doing now."

"But this spell can only allow Eric to talk to one pony, uh I mean person, at a time. So he'll have to decide who to talk to each time we do this, all right?"

"Really, Starie?"

"Well, in that case, who do you want to talk to next week?"

"Uh...How about Erica? I'll want to talk to her next week. So can you tell her about all this, and be ready to hear my voice?"

"Okay, I'll tell her. And she, Jenny, and your dad will be so happy to know you're all right! We all thought we lost you when no one could find you! They'll probably think I've gone crazy, but they'll see I'm not crazy when they hear your voice!"

"All right, Mom! Tell them all I'm all right and safe, and I love them!"

"I will, honey! I love you so much! Try not to give Twilight and Starlight too hard a time like you do Erica and Jenny, okay?"

"I'll try. But they love doing it to me too, almost as much as Erica and Jenny! I gotta have some fun back!"

"Well, try not to have too much fun with your new sisters then, okay?"

"All right, that I'll do!"

"The spell's about to wear off in a few seconds guys!"

"Oh, okay! Twilight--"

"I heard her, and I love you, Eric!"

"Love you too, Mom!"

The green smoke around me vanished, and everything looked as it was before.

"See, Eric? I told you would love this surprise, didn't I?"

"Happy I dragged you out here now?"

Still pouring on the waterworks, I just ran to Twilight and Starlight. Since they were standing right beside each other, I hugged them both. They hugged me back, and it became a group hug.

"I...I don't know what to say! I didn't think I'd be able to talk to my mom or family ever again!"

"Well, now you can, every week! Because this is where you entered Equestria, it's the only place we can do this spell. That's one more reason why this is a special place in the woods: it's not just where we first met anymore. And didn't we promise you that we would do something to make things up to you?"

"Yep, and this is our promise to you! This is why I made you come out here with me and wouldn't tell you why. I know you were still feeling a bit down, so we hope this cheered you up!"

"...*sniff*...Oh yeah!" I released my hug on Twilight and Starlight to wipe my eyes, then I hugged them again. "Thank you so much for this, Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer! I love you two so much!"

Starlight rubbed my back a little while still hugging me. "We love you too, Eric. Your pony big sisters will always be there for you if you need us."

"And so will all our friends, so you'll never be alone. Okay, Buggie?"

"Thanks." I let them go from our group hug. "And I'll always be there for you too. And wait, did you just say 'Buggie', Twi?"

Twilight answered, "Yep. You call us by nicknames, so we thought up one for you! You like it?"

"Figures you two would think of a nickname like 'BUGgie.' You're just as bad as my other two sisters when it comes to that kind of stuff. But seriously, I do like 'Buggie', so can that be my new nickname?"

"Yep! All right, from now on, 'Buggie' will be your new nickname!" Twilight gave me a light pat on the head. "And we hope you'll become just as home in Equestria as you were in your world. We'll do our best to help."

Starlight's ears drooped down and she frowned. "We're just sorry we can't actually send you to your world. We tried our best to find a way to do it."

Hearing that made Twilight's ears droop down and frowned as well. "Even though I could do this much, after how I kept saying that I would send you back to your world after learning the counterspell, I still can't help but feel like I failed you as your big sister by not doing it. Like I said before, I truly thought I could, and I tried everything...I'm so sorry."

"It's okay guys. I know you did all you could, and after all you've done for me, you can never fail me, Twi. But I think I can grow to feel just at home here in Equestria. Scratch that: I think I already have, and I even got a wish just now."

Starlight's ears perked back up and she smiled again and was about to ask me something.

But Twilight, while still a bit confused, beat her to it, asking, "What was it, Buggie?"

"About three months ago, I said that I wanted you, Starie, and the others to meet my family one day, remember? And while you couldn't see her, you two just met my mom!"

Twilight smiled and perked up too, when I reminded her of that. "Oh, that's right! I didn't think about it like that, until now. I'm happy we could grant you that wish at least."

"Me too, Buggie! But Spike's probably has lunch about ready. You two ready to go back to the castle?"

"That sounds like a good idea, Starlight. Let's go home." Twilight looked right at me when she said the word "home", smiled a bit bigger, and nodded her head. That nod was her letting me know that, if I didn't already know, she's not just "letting" me stay in her castle in the same way she did at the very beginning. Her castle was, and still is, my home, too. Though I'd probably still call it "Twilight's castle" out of both habit and respect for Twilight. That castle was made for a princess, after all.

I nodded my head as well. "And I'm getting hungry too, so Twi, Starie, let's go eat!"

And my two pony big sisters and I headed back to the castle. Actually, no, I'm not gonna call them my "pony" big sisters anymore from now on. I'm just gonna say they're my "sisters/big sisters" or "Equestrian sisters/big sisters".

A bit later, I went to Rarity and asked her to make me another hat, and she was happy to do it for me. But it didn't have just her Cutie Mark. This one had, as well as Rarity's Cutie Mark, Rainbow's, Fluttershy's, Applejack's, Pinkie Pie's, and, near the top of the hat, Twilight's and Starlight's Cutie Marks.


The next day, Twilight finally agreed to do something that I wanted to do with her for a long time. In my tiny size of four inches, sitting on Twilight's head, holding on to her mane, with my feet on her horn to further help balance myself, we were just outside her castle, ready to do it.

"Okay, Buggie? Are you holding on tight to my mane or horn?"

"Yeah, I am, Twi."

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yeah, I'm sure. I've always wanted to do this with you!"

"But if you get scared, let me know, okay?"

"I will, I promise!"

"All right. And remember, I'll catch you if you fall off my head. But try not to make me have to do it!"

"I know, Twilight! I'll hold on as tight as I can, so can we go now?"

"Okay, okay! I'm going to take off now!"

Twilight flapped her wings and, at a height of about as high as a five or six-story building in the "real" world, she flew around the castle in a circle. I was flying with my big sister for the very first time. I was a bit nervous at first, but that feeling didn't last long. It became all excitement!

"Wow, this is really fun!"

"How do you like the view? I'm not flying too high for you, am I, Buggie?"

"The view's great! And you're not too high, Twi. In fact, can you go higher in the sky, like when you usually fly?"

"Sure. Hang on!"

Twilight flapped her wings a little harder to fly higher up in the sky, to around as high as she usually would be when she flies.

"Wow...so this is how it's like up here. And before you ask, Twi, I'm all right!"

"You know me too well, you know that, Buggie?"

"Well, I probably should by now. Remember how I used to watch your cartoon before I came to Equestria? And that's on top of all the time I've spent with you."

"Oh, hehe, I keep forgetting about that 'cartoon' of us you said your world has."

"But if it makes you feel better, I still don't know everything about you yet. And can you take me flying like this again sometimes, Twi?"

"Sure, Buggie, ask me anytime, all right?"

"Thanks, I will."

Twilight would fly over Ponyville with me for a while before she got tired and came back down at the castle. This wouldn't be the last time Twi took me flying like this, far from it! Starie would do it too sometimes, since she can fly too using her magic.


And now that I was able to at least talk to my human family, even if it could only be just one person a week, I was fully back to my old self, and happier than ever since I got to Equestria. I'd made my peace about being in Equestria for the rest of my life, and fully accepted it. I could now fully enjoy being in my new home world with my Equestrian friends and family here. I had a lot of great times and misadventures with them.

To help it feel more like my former world as much as possible, Twilight thought to have us sometimes do some things my world has but Equestria doesn't.

Every once in a while, that Lord of Chaos/Trolling Discord would try to teach me "friendship lessons" in classic Discord fashion. Twilight still had her freak-out moments. Starlight had a few magical shenanigans, which I may or may not have been a part of. I once had a friendly(?) magic duel with "The Great and Powerful Trixie". We even had a few new Alicorns for a while.

It wasn't all fun and games, though. We all had our fair share of arguments. Even Twilight and I got into it a few times. However, she never once forgot her promise to never actually hurt me again, no matter how mad she got. And I sure never thought of trying to hurt my big sister. Of course, it was more than just love that kept me from trying anything. Even when I'm normal-sized, promise or no promise, that Alicorn could mop the floor with me and physically, Twilight's several times stronger than me, so she wouldn't need her magic to do it.

And while Twilight and Starlight were usually good at keeping the counterspell active as long as I needed it to be during the day, there were a few times it wore off too soon for one reason or another. On very rare occasions, I ended up being not just four inches tall, or even one-inch tall like I was at the very beginning, but ended up even smaller!! And...oh boy...let's just say what I had to go through before I got someone's attention was not fun. Twilight and Starlight are still kicking/bucking themselves a bit over it.



Well, that's it for my story, and I hope you enjoyed it. Like I said from the start, this really did happen to me. But if you still don't believe me, as I said from the very beginning, I won't blame you. But even if you don't, if you still liked it, that'll be good enough for me. Someday, maybe I'll tell you about those misadventures -- and mayhem -- I was just talking about. If you enjoyed this, maybe you'll enjoy those stories.

Till then, Eric Reed, over and out.

Oh yeah, one more thing. In case you're wondering how I can even write this if I'm really in Equestria right now...let's just say I've learned some things from Pinkie Pie. If you ever end up in Equestria, I can ask her to teach you how to break the fourth wall too.