• Published 12th Feb 2019
  • 5,194 Views, 55 Comments

A Real Wendigo - Tjtbomb

  • ...
9
 55
 5,194

Chapter 2

Year Two of the Lunar Return Era…


Twilight mumbled to herself as she reread the passage over and over.

She had recently been granted access to the deeper levels of the Canterlot Archives simply because she had read all of the rest available to her.

She had started at the very beginning, as was most efficient to get a full understanding of all that had transpired in the past. But she, as detail-oriented as she was, could not stand loose ends. And she had come across one that was particularly troubling to her.

A small passage, barely a page long, that told of an unexpectedly harsh winter that forced Celestia and Ponykind out of the Castle of the Two Sisters. It was said to have lasted less than a week, but as soon as it ended, all of Ponykind fled at top speed from the forest. There was no solid reasoning given, only a single snippet from a captain stating that a “statue” was taken with them along with the imprisoned Discord at Celestia’s order.

All royal orders were recorded in the archives, but this one was the least detailed one Twilight had come across. Grumbling under her breath, she picked up the book with her magic, saving her place, and walking up the long staircase from the deep archives.

She needed Celestia’s input on this.

Celestia sighed at the rather slow day court. There had been practically nopony there that day, and she was almost ready to hire a court jester for these dull hours when she must sit on her throne for hours on end with nothing to do.

She smiled instantly as she heard the quick steps of her favorite student approaching the throne room.

With a bang, the doors burst open and Twilight hurried through, yet another book floating behind her.

Celestia rolled her eyes and beckoned her forward before she could say anything.

“Well then, Twilight. What new mistake have you discovered in the history books today?”

“A minor thing, at best Princess, but there is simply a lack of information in what should be a more detailed royal order.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow as Twilight presented the book to her. She smiled grimly as she recognized the passage.

“Ah, yes. The Wendigo.”

Twilight smiled instantly.

“Oh! That would explain the harsh winter the-“

“Not so fast, Twilight. This was not the cruel frost spirit you know from the Hearth’s Warming story. Though it is where they got their name. The Wendigo is much stranger and much more dangerous.”

Twilight promptly sat down like a little foal, expecting a story with big eyes.

Secretly laughing to herself, Celestia told the bizarre tale of her experience with the Wendigo.
Twilight dutifully recorded the entire event as she listened attentively, her eyes widening as Celestia told of the creature’s strange spell craft, if it could even be considered as such.

“... Its statue is still here, though hidden on the other side of the gardens. Would you like to see it, Twilight? I am sure you would seek it out yourself just to make a detailed sketch for the records.”

Twilight blushed and nodded, she had been planning to correct the record as quickly as possible.

Celestia chuckled and turned to a guard.

“Day Court is officially adjourned, thank you for your services.”

The guard saluted and made his way out of the room, followed by the rest shortly after. Celestia beckoned Twilight after her and walked towards the gardens at a regal pace.

“So, are the spirit variety of wendigos actually related to this one? Or was it just a misunderstanding?”

“I do not believe we ever found out. My own encounter was the only documented time one of them spoke, so we could not exactly ask. They had similar powers and appearances, so it seemed natural.”

Twilight fell silent for awhile, lost in thought until Celestia suddenly stopped. She nearly ran into her but stumbled back.

She glanced about as Celestia glanced back at her.

“There’s only hedges here. Where are we going?”

Celestia only smiled and lit her horn, parting the hedge in front of her, revealing a secret covered glade. Twilight was amazed she had never noticed the perfect cube of hedges before, and realized it was quite an effective disguise.

“Behold, Twilight, The Wendigo.”

Twilight instinctively gulped as she caught sight of the intimidating creature in all of its frozen glory.

It was still half-turned around, mid-roar with long teeth bared savagely, and it’s entire body flexed in an eternal primal display of power.

“Have you checked the seal upon it recently?”

Celestia nodded. After Discord had been released, she had promptly checked the statue for signs of decay or weakening, but had found nothing.

“We have nothing to fear, unless somepony has the misfortune to discover what frees him, much like Discord’s innate ability even when sealed to escalate a simple argument into enough chaos to loosen his bonds.”

“What do you suppose might free him?”

“If I had to make a guess Twilight, it would likely be deep feelings of bitterness or anger, but who knows? It might be as simple as wanting to free him.”

They continued to look over the statue, Twilight bringing out her sketchbook to get a rough draft.

After a good ten minutes of looking at it, Twilight suddenly gasped as whispers began fading into the back of her mind, telling her things she could not quite hear.

Celestia was immediately by her side and ushered her out of the enclosed space, closing the entrance behind them.

“Are you alright? I nearly forgot about that. Prolonged exposure to the statue causes mental whispers to appear. I’m afraid they will linger for a short while. I apologize, Twilight, that was foolish of me.”

Twilight smiled and waved a hoof.

“No, no, it’s fine. They’re already quieter.”

As Princess and student made their way back into the castle, a bush in the hidden space shifted, revealing a small bunny rabbit.

It already seemed dazed, and as it caught sight of the statue, it only confused it more. Quickly growing whispers were overtaking its small mind, seeming to emanate from the still face of the statue in front of it.

Many voices growled, snarled, howled, roared, purred, and whispered into its small and unexpecting mind.

Telling it, demanding of it, begging, crying, screaming in agony, whimpering in despair, alluring, manipulative, intimidating, all calling for one act.

FREE HIM.

With shaky little hops, it made its way closer and closer before laying a paw on a single claw.

*CRACK*

With a hiss, frosty air escaped the open mouth, and the bunny scampered away, squeezing into the hedges and outside.

And the statue breathed.

Comments ( 45 )

You had me with the use of the native american Wendigo. Not the watered down sack of horseapples Hasbro feeds us with the show's version.

Upvoted and faved for sure.

Hmm, interesting. Although the MLP version are called WINDIGOS, the WENDIGO is by far the better version, having innate power over ice and snow? That's a little new to me since I thought they were forest creatures that cannibalized on one another

First of all I always love it when someonebrings up the similarities between the European and Native American Wendigos, I think this is an amazing way of showing some understanding of these differences and then saying screw it and mashing them together to get a relevant, distinct, and entertaining comparison to the originals.

next chapter please

This reminds me a lot of the Lich (Adventure Tine)

Please more I’m craving more CRYPTIDS. This story by far is one of the best I have read keep it up!

The mage in that one anime is totally a wendigo.

9453625 The Jersey Devil is a draconequus. :raritywink:

weirdnj.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/JerseyDevilIllustrationFinal.jpg

He's Discord's brother Corruption... so it makes sense his home base is in New Jersey. :rainbowlaugh:

9453205 Except they weren't really all that powerful. Gamers have power-gamed the heck out of them, like they do with everything else.

They were actually spirits that could possess a human being, and became cannibalistic and gluttonous. In several versions, they would grow in proportion to what they ate, meaning they would become enormous in size, yet always ravenous and starved-looking, as they could never be full (one might be correct in assuming the Titans from AoT were influenced by this trait.)

Its existence threw the local environment out of balance and tilted it toward destruction. They were seen as the embodiment of gluttony, greed, and excess. It would certainly NOT be something a forest was begging for!

Though, if one wished to similarly over-power them and keep them in the theme of the show's aspect-like entities, the wendigo traits are the perfect fit for another draconequus: Avarice

cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/007/905/476/large/philip-sandstrom-hannahrender001-56graded008.jpg?1509280377 Don't know about you guys, but Wendigos are the scariest fucking thing I've seen in my entire life. If you've played/watched the game Until Dawn, you know what I'm talking about.

Snow #12 · Feb 12th, 2019 · · 1 ·

And then someone set a weasel on it, making it shriek like an 80s cartoon housewife over a mouse and flee.

What with weasel being a Wendigo's natural predator and all (enough so that it's apparently a chippawa fable?). They climb up through the rear and eat its still beating heart out of its chest. ... I'm not kidding, this is actual folklore.

9454032
Wow. That’s, uh......interesting?
Great story!

And the statue breathed.

”You know what this shit means...it means Flutter Butters will lose her powers over the animals...it means the weather won’t be as easily manipulated...it means the Everfree will get more so active...but mostly it means they’re all fucked.”

Modified quote from Far Cry 5

9453708
One interpretation of the myth is that the wendigo is a spirit of nature - specifically that of survival through any means necessary. Most tales of wendigo origins that I've heard don't have the creature start out being some random tribesmember who randomly just decides to eat flesh; rather it was more often a "donner party" scenario. The necessity of survival drove them to eat the flesh of their party members, and supposedly opened them to be influenced and possessed by the spirit, transforming them into a wendigo. They aren't necessarily or innately evil like skinwalkers and such, but are wild. Territorial, losing most if not all speech functions, eating raw animals and humans alike, et cetera et cetera. Moreover, in this case it's clear that the wendigo isn't a "normal" being at all, but is likely an avatar of some force, such as Nature, which throws all the expectations out the window.

Una

In real life just thinking of a Wendigo can summon one. Look it up in native American folklore....also please hold off on eating each other.

9454688
I promise nothing.

I wonder if the leshen or the chort is related to the wendigo...
And did geralt of rivia ever faced a wendigo?

9455257
I’d say the closest that Geralt has ever come to facing a “Wendigo” would have to be the Striga that Princess Adda became in the first Witcher game. In Witcher lore, Strigas are women- typically infants and young girls- who are cursed, for one reason or another, to become a monstrous nocturnal predator with an innate hatred for all living things and an insatiable appetite for flesh- not entirely unlike the Wendigo. The Striga in the first Witcher is also the only Striga that we the players have encountered in any of the games.

Im kinda on the Everfrees side on this one, anyone else?

9455622
Same celestia was just being irresponsible and selfish.

I love if other mythical beasts emerge from the forest to assist the Windego.

this thing looks like the monster from The Ritual movie i.4cdn.org/tv/1550090183277.jpg

OH, this is gonna be good.

Nice... Let's see how THE Wendigo returns the balance of the natural cycle.

Keep it up:moustache:

Ohhhh this story is so good!

9453901
Statement: This Unit fears skinwalkers more.

Out of curiosity, will this story be continued?

9762195
Ah, at some point, but I’m focusing on my most popular two at the moment

Hope to see more in the future.

When are you going to shit out another chapter yet?

9954489
I’m basically in the middle of finals. Sorry.

9764248
Trying to control nature itself is the heightest from of hubris and is downright heretical

It's a damn shame that you haven't continued this book as so far it and the concept are amazing!
I really hope you update it again one day.

10122433
It's one of those stories where someone gets a Great even Amazingly Great idea makes a chapter or two and tosses it away...

10219594
It's always a shame when that happens...

10222419
I’m considering putting it up for adoption. I’ve just honestly gotten burnt out on the idea. I’m not too sure where to proceed from here

10222754
Well, guess we can only hope.

10222754
Don't worry about it. If you are burnt out then it's fine for you to not update. There is no point in writing for a story that you don't feel motivated about.
Take care dude!

Is no one else going to mention how the words FREE HIM were in glorious Rainbow Color?
As in, Harmony just started a jailbreak?

No one? Just me?
...Okay then...

10278819
*cough*Thx for the idea *cough*

10279243
You said this idea was up for adoption?

Login or register to comment