• Published 12th Nov 2017
  • 10,013 Views, 171 Comments

A Place Among Her Kind - milesprower06



Tempest Shadow reflects and prepares for the new role she has been given in Twilight's kingdom.

  • ...
9
 171
 10,013

Epilogue

With a Princess as tidy as Twilight, there were more cobwebs in the basement of the castle than Fizzlepop imagined, especially in a place this new. According to Starlight, she had actually helped Fluttershy replace cobwebs that had been disturbed in a magical-based animal gathering incident.

The state of the basement corridors didn't really matter to her, as she came up to a set of double doors, and opened them, magically carrying the framed newspaper article that Rainbow had given to her. What mattered was this; her new barracks for her squad. Directly under the library and previously used as storage, Princess Twilight was all too happy to clear it out and get her library back. In the two weeks since Spring Rain and Glitter Drops visited, she had quickly renovated it into everything they needed. Mannequins for armor now lined the outer walls. The center of the room was open and clear for training sessions. Just down the hall through the very next door, a smithing furnace had been set up with all the tools needed for basic maintenance.

Walking to the back wall, Fizzlepop stood before a six-pointed star lavender emblem; the Kingdom of Friendship's coat of arms, or crest; the same that adorned the front of each of their chest pieces. She then gazed down at her newest addition to her uniform, this one somewhat informal; a simple necklace, at the end hung the remains of the top half of her horn.

Though the orchid coat had long since rotted away by the time Spring Rain and Glitter Drops found it, with the aid of the teachers at the school, they were able to use polyurethane to preserve the bone that was left. Even with Starlight's magical know-how, it would have been impractical to try to reattach it in any manner; the nerve endings had died long ago. But with Rarity's expertise, Fizzlepop was able to string a ball chain through the thickest section of what was left. It was a way to keep the part of her that she had lost with her from now on.

Before departing in the morning, Spring and Glitter gave her the address of the Vanhoover Weather Team headquarters, and they promised to write letters and share updates in their lives with each other. It wasn't a renewed friendship yet, but they could consider themselves acquaintances for now.

Smiling briefly at the neckace, she took the framed newspaper, and hung it directly under the six-pointed star emblem of the Kingdom of Friendship. The squad's first sign of recognition, now on display for all of them to see.

She could only hope it was the first of many.

Author's Note:

I really can't say how much fun this was to write. Also a bit unexpected, as my opinion of the movie was quite low the first time around. Luckily, I gave it a second chance and liked it much better. So...

Thank you for reading. Thank you for commenting.

And as of this writing, thank you for making this the highest rated of my 29 stories so far.

-milesprower06

Comments ( 41 )

I knew there was a story here... you've written something wonderful.

This is what I like to see. An optimistic ending; a non-zero-sum game.

Fun, interesting. I’d look forward to follow ups.

I hope you write more to this one day.

I'm so glad you continued this! I love the final product. Great job, Miles!

Awesome work :twilightsmile:

8573491
Excellent

8573491
Most fantastic!

Feels like a really long prologue.

8589197

You did. But I try to comment on stories as individual stories, not as a series/trilogy/collection (unless they're really inseparable.) If the author says its completed, its completed.

8589237
It was completed, for a time. This started out as a oneshot, then with all the praise it got, I got ideas for bonus scenes, then as I wrote more and more, I got the idea for another story, and before I knew it, my 2100-word oneshot turned into a two-part, 24,000 tale.

Regardless, thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed.

Well I definitely enjoyed reading this. Although some chapters were very short indeed. One nitpick I have is that Celestia seems very stern with Tempest but that could be just Tempest pov looking at the princess. The conflict with Tempest old friend seems rather rushed as well. In the end I'll recommend anyone to read this.

Funny thing, this story paves similarities with another Tempest Story I'm reading "The Redemption of Tempest Shadow"

I know she wasn't shown for too long but this just doesn't feel like the actual Fizzle Pop. Her sternness wasn't depicted too well and that alone killed it for me.

8605217
It was never my intention to portray her as stern. From my point of view, her character has absolutely gone through some changes through the final act of the movie.

8605242
I considered that, but I have a thing about seeing characters change too quickly personality wise. Starlight still has her base personality excepting not being able to trust herself to lead after being redeemed along with a few other things, and while she defers to Twilight's example and tries to be nicer she is still recognizably the same person personality wise. This feels like a luna situation without the harmony blast to explain it away... tho I guess her experience almost dying but being saved by twilight could have been a life-changing moment for her due to almost losing her life. But then she would have most likely been exposed to the danger of that caliber multiple times before considering her line of work, and the fact she couldn't always have been a badass.

I would more expect her to have a lot of trust and respect for twilight but be extremely skeptical of anyone she didn't know. Noone completely changes so quickly, but her personality seemed to have done a complete 180 with not the least sign of relapse. the closest that got was the scene with her former friends and that would have been expected of any normal person. I would have expected her to either completely keep her cool/cold demeanor towards them or... well to be honest the way you did it was great, maybe have her break down somewhere alone, or tears without the sobbing but her reaction felt perfectly natural for her character.

All in all, i just feel like the strong intimidating no-nonsense tempest I was originally introduced too and immediately took a liking too wasn't portrayed that well, and that's quite literally all I have to complain about. The story was great otherwise.

8605267
That's probably a path I would have pursued if the story were considerably longer, but I don't have as much time to devote to fanfic writing as I used to, and personally I don't expect my readers to spend more time reading than I do writing. Thank you for your thoughts, regardless.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Oh geez. D: That's kind of morbid.

Not bad, though. I'm gonna catch heck when I post my fic, this one's probably the most like it. :/

8633288
Thanks for the recommendation. I hope the sequel is of some interest to you.

8677386
But you might have a point. Changed them to just regular titles now that the story is complete.

8678999

Twilight Sparkle: No Spike, Ponyville was started by Earth ponies, so for hundreds of years they've never used magic to clean up winter. It's traditional.

Zero reason to believe as a magical Earth-attuned creature they'd have even remotely similar lifespan to a human. Plus the photographs of the founding of Ponyville are similar in quality to ones from the 1800s.

8678981

8678990

8678996

Welp... I honestly don't know what you were expecting from this fic, but suffice to say, you are not the type of reader I write for.

This story was originally a one-shot, and feedback and further inspiration pushed me to write out those short bonus chapters, and I'm not sure if you read way too deeply into it, or demand the strictest adherence to established character traits, but adding this to your "I Give Up" shelf is quite frankly a disrespectful move that warrants no further discussion. Good day.

8690214
I thought back to the end of No Second Prances, wondering when Celestia finally snapped and went "Screw this, I'm out of here."

I love this story. And it’s sequel.

8858020
Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the second sequel!

9043652
me neither I want to know what happens and I'm like stupid cliff hangers!

I know this is REALLY petty, but as much as I want to fave this fic, I just can't.
And it has nothing to do with the writing itself, since the story itself is fine.
It's that I just can't bring myself to see her as anything but Tempest Shadow.
I know her real name is Fizzlepop Berrytwist, but it just seems wrong for her to be called that, at least to me.

Those plushies make me really happy

Pacing; for me, was quick but not overly so. I enjoyed the interactions. I found them believable within the realm of the story. Overall; good story and enjoyable read. I look forward to reading the sequel. Thank you for creating and sharing.

9556776
Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the sequels!

9616474
I can't seem to remember which one it was...

9616641
Pity, can you try to look for it? Sounds like an interesting story.

9885547
I'll see what I can do... I've read a lot of Tempest reform fics

a simple necklace, at the end hung the remains of the top half of her horn.

But with Rarity's expertise, Fizzlepop was able to string a ball chain through the thickest section of what was left.

man, now I want one of these

Walking to the back wall, Fizzlepop stood before a six-pointed star lavender emblem; the Kingdom of Friendship's coat of arms, or crest; the same that adorned the front of each of their chest pieces. She then gazed down at her newest addition to her uniform, this one somewhat informal; a simple necklace, at the end hung the remains of the top half of her horn.

I don't know this struck me as a little morbid. It would be like someone saving the bone from a lost finger, and wearing it as a necklace.:pinkiesick:

FINALLY got to read this and it was good. Not great, but that's what sequels are for.

11700291
I hope you enjoy the rest of them! Thanks for reading!

10119667
Just a sudden thought, but perhaps it could be seen along the lines of how some people keep baby tooth or similar things in "the old scrapbook". Compared to what her adult horn would probably look like if it hadn't broken, this bit of young filly horn would be quite small.

Login or register to comment