• Published 7th May 2016
  • 10,223 Views, 192 Comments

Changing Lanes - AutoPony



When a human and his home land in Equestria, his love of speed quickly draws a few ponies to him, most notably Princess Luna. But her own desires and secrets soon begin to create..... complications in their friendship.

  • ...
31
 192
 10,223

Epilogue

It's been about a week since everything has (relatively) returned to normal.

As it turns out, Discord should have asked for directions for reinstalling Twilight's mind to her body. It ended up taking another day before Celestia triumphantly presented her to you and Luna.

It was... a little awkward. Twilight was more than happy to see Luna, but it seemed like she was a bit nervous being around you. Nonetheless, she gave you a hug, though you sense it was more for your sake than hers. She wouldn't divulge what happened in her home that fateful night, and her memory was apparently blank after the scuffle you had with her and Chrysalis.

It was a bit disappointing, but understandable for her to feel out of sorts. She assured you in private before she left that you were still friends, she just needed some time to get herself back to a normal frame of mind.

Reading between the lines, you believed her, but also knew in the back of your mind your relationship would not go back to how it was, in the sense of beyond "good friends."

But it was somewhat of a blessing in disguise, even if it felt wrong to say such a thing. With what you had gone through with Luna, you were set on her - a one-mare man. Recalling the reasoning for Twilight to explore a relationship with you, it brought a concern to you on how to lightly put her down. That wasn't necessary now.

In addition, Canterlot's castle was beginning to feel more and more like home. Ponyville was great, and it seemed most of the threat of changelings plotting against you were past. But you could tell Luna really wanted you to stay with her, and you felt the same way. In time, you planned on getting your old home cleaned up and using it for extended visits with your friends. But home is where the heart is - and your heart belonged to a navy blue alicorn.

Nightmare Moon is finally appearing to you again. You've sensed her presence since coming back from the dead, but she has been elusive. Evidently, she wasn't just miffed at you; rebirth took a lot of juice out of her, inhibiting her ability to manifest.

But she was pretty pissed off about it; after all, she did tell you to not get the two of you killed. She was also kind enough to replay the memory of what happened, since she did remember the whole day.

You understand why it upset her so greatly to have experienced that, and it confirmed your theory about your experience in the hospital. The memory brought an indescribable agony with it as it played out - not only the pain of the fight, but the sensation of every nerve in your body being burned at once.

You definitely don't want to experience that again - you're going to do your best to stay away from life-threatening situations.

But now, with things calmed down, you can return to another important part of your life - the Superbird. You were granted space in the garage where the royal chariots and carriages were kept to work on it and store it.

And boy, it needed a lot of work. Besides the destroyed nose and beat up hood and fenders, there was a radiator to replace, and an oil cooler that wasn't doing a very good job of cooling oil - or keeping it contained, for that matter.

It was only by a miracle you didn't starve the car of oil and ruin the engine on your way to Canterlot. Though with everything going on at that point in time, the car was the least of your concerns.

Speaking of which, as you finish removing the last bolt from the bracket, the oil cooler comes off in your hand, allowing you a better look at it. Definitely needs replaced, as the whole core of it is slightly warped, even ignoring two telltale trails of oil.

But the sound of hooves pulls you away from the setback, as you lift your head slightly from the floor you lie upon. You can't help but smile as you find Luna casually plodding toward you, sans regalia.

"Hi Luna, how was work?" Your light-hearted sarcasm gets a weary chuckle from her as you sit up, greeting her properly with a quick peck on the lips.

"I suppose it was a fairly good day. Only minor squabbles from court that were easily dealt with. Nothing major as far as issues needing my advice or oversight. Though I will be overjoyed when I finally get a day of relaxation again."

"To be fair, your sister said you didn't have to do your two-week straight stint ruling the kingdom right away," you remind her.

"Yes, but I would prefer to get it out of the way as soon as possible," she replies. "Besides my own desires, my sister needs her rest, she's been through a lot."

"No kidding. I don't know how anyone can get enough rest with her snoring." The comment gets another giggle from Luna.

"You get used to it after a while. But you seem to have had a productive day," she says, Her eyes scan the pile of parts and tools gathered on the floor around you.

"Sort of, I guess," you sigh with defeat. "There's a lot of work to be done to get it back into shape. The nose is a mess, I tweaked the radiator support a bit, and a lot of odds and ends that need to be looked at. I have some spare parts at home, but other things I'm going to have to try to fix or somehow have manufactured, I'm afraid."

"You know I am more than willing to help in the ensuing days and weeks to come, Anon. I am sure we can bring this back to top form," she reassures you, flashing you an encouraging smile.

"I certainly don't have to worry about a time limit, huh?" you suggest.

"I feel there is some additional connotations to that comment. I assume you have been dwelling on the idea of immortality the past few days," she says, cocking her head.

"A little bit. It's hard to wrap my head around, but I've been trying," you admit. Luna takes a seat upon the floor in front of you.

"I understand it has been a long time since I have made my peace with the idea of a neverending existence, but it will become trivial to your mind one day. You will only be reminded of it when you lose a dear friend," she replies, sounding slightly troubled with the last sentence.

"So how do you not just full recluse and not get attached to people, knowing full well you're going to outlive them?"

"A wise pony told me that with each connection we make, we learn and grow. There is much we can learn from those in our lives, whether it be a five minute conversation, or a friendship that lasts years. You keep those lessons close to your heart, and those you care for remain with you forever."

"I'm going to go out on a limb and say you heard that quite recently from your big sis."

"Correct on both accounts, but nevertheless, advice that may very well help you. Live for the moment, Anon, do not concern your mind with the future. It will drive you mad."

She does make a very good point, you have to admit.

"Another oddity came to my attention today," Luna says, changing the subject as her smile returns. "Apparently, rumors are circulating that Canterlot's castle has had to deal with an issue regarding changelings. Can you believe that?"

"No, not at all," you jab back playfully. "Don't ponies have more important things to worry about that gossip?"

"I suppose if that is the main concern, things are going well for now," she replies with a chuckle.

"You aren't worried about them at all? Even the queen?"

Luna shakes her head. "I'm sure word will quickly get around that you are alive and well - to those that believe you are dead. But I doubt it changes any of the dynamics. Until next time, we shall let resting dogs lie where they are."

"Gotcha," you say, looking behind Luna. "Uh, you know you sat in a puddle of oil, right?"

"What? I did not feel anything," she says, standing up quickly and turning to view her resting place.

Just as planned, as you reach out and goose the black splotches on her flank. "Right here!"

Luna squeals as she turns around, pushing you down onto the floor as she tackles you. "You're terrible!" she shouts, all the while smirking.

"I can't help you fell for it," you tease her. You reach up and stroke her mane, the sensation of a cool summer's evening breeze washing over you.

"Luna, I hate to interrupt but it's time to- Oh for Equestria's sake, you could at least close the garage door!"

Luna turns her head while you crank you neck to get a look, finding Celestia covering her eyes with a wing before turning tail and trotting off.

"We weren't doing anything, sister!" Luna calls out after her with a bout of laughter. She turns back to you. "I suppose we should go after her and find out what she wanted."

"Okay. You think we traumatized her?" you joke. Luna shakes her head.

"No, she'll be fine, she likes to overreact from time to time." Luna backs off of you, helping you to your feet with her hoof.

Both of you head out into the evening air, as you stop to close the garage door behind you. With that done, the castle dining room is the likely next stop.

"Oh, I bet that is why she decided to pop in. My mistake," Luna says, her gaze directed upward to the sky. The sun is almost completely below the horizon now, the slightest light from it dying the indigo sky with a splash of pink and orange fade. Luna's horn glows as her eyes close in concentration, the pale white moon easing up into the sky with silent grace, lending it's own light to the landscape as the sun finally rests.

"Beautiful as always, Moonbutt," you say, your eyes breaking from the sights in the sky to her bright teal eyes.

"The night sky, or me?" she teases, batting her eyelashes at you.

You can't help but grin as you lean over and give her a quick peck on the snout.

"Yes."

Author's Note:

And with that, this little story finally comes to a close. It's been a long journey - with more than a few delays - but it is a satisfying feeling to bring the tale to its completion. I want to thank those of you who have offered your compliments and words of encouragement. And in general, thank you for sticking through it all and following along.

I have to say I'm surprised at how far I've come as a writer, which was pointed out to me by a reader. That being said, while I could give the earlier chapters a polish someday, I think it's safe to say I'm going to leave it as is. That could always change though.

Yet this likely is not the end of this universe; I still have some one shots that come after all these events in my pastebin yet to be dusted off and rewritten. I will publish them as a separate entity, either as a collection added on to, or as individual stories themselves (probably the former rather than the latter).

But until that time, remember: Luna is best pony.

Comments ( 20 )

Thank you for giving us a wonderful story to read, I really enjoyed it. :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

Can you please make a sequel

9636158
As I mentioned in my author's notes, I have some one-off/ slice of life pieces that I will dust off and rewrite at a later date, as well as the possibility of new ideas. They will be published sperately as a "sequel," But as for a direct adventure sequel with a story arc, I doubt it.

I do hope there is a sequel to this, the foreshadowing with the alicorn outline in the scorch marks was a nice touch.

9636164
Ok thanks kinda just skimmed the notes so did not see that.

ROBCakeran53
Moderator

Damn, I really enjoyed that ending. I eagerly await some continuations, or side stories, whatever route you take. Some good ol' slice of life is always a good thing.

You did a really good job with the re-write and gave the story a satisfying ending while leaving plenty of room for expansion. The original green was one of the first Luna X Anon stories I read and I'm glad you'll be continuing it here. I can't wait to see what other adventures Anon & Luna get up to. Thanks again for creating and sharing.

This was a great story. It had everything you need in T-rated one, thank you AutoPony.
And you're right, Luna IS best pony :twilightsmile: and we need emoji of her

"Yes."

Smart man, good answer.

9737491
Or he could just be magically immortal, because reasons. That works, too. :twilightsmile:

That was phenomenal

9784681
Indeed..... Also I kinda want a sequel.

9784681
Also it would be nice if you would include when the POV shifts and to who.

9784717
This. Everytime the POV changes, I'd spend half the chapter trying to figure out whose perspective we were seeing things from

This was a great read. Thanks for the story :twilightsmile:

10077586
Absolutely, I agree, I just use a couple parts from that movie to make jokes quite a bit. https://images.app.goo.gl/AaZdLFp4MgfpGf1x6 Also, the comment itself was kind of just a joke for the sake of an extreme friend of mine who would say exactly that.

That was quite the ride

10514968
You would assume so, yes. Countless other writers on this site would not. I have seen this exact set up so many times, where there is danger explicitly stated, an argument between friends or lovers happens, and one person storms of in a tizzy and is immediately beset by the danger when they are by themselves.

It forces the characters to immediately reexamine their feelings and admit that they care deeply about each other and adds cheap drama.

Hell, I read a story on this site where Rarity was stranded deep in the Everfree with a HiE, and this shit happened THREE TIMES!!! Once, she ran off after an argument and got attacked by direwolves, once she ran off and got attacked by a giant thunderbird, and then the third time the human wandered off in a dangerous, unexplored cave and got captured by Diamond Dogs.

Believe me when I say that this gets really old when you're able to see these things coming miles away. I am truly, genuinely grateful with this author that that didn't happen. Had he decided for it to happen, the fact that it took place on the castle grounds would not have made a difference.

Just as planned, as you reach out and goose the black splotches on her flank. "Right here!"

Yep. I would not be able to resist doing that.

What a great story! I feel a bit bad for Twilight's ending here though. I really wonder what happened to her when Chrysalis acted as Anon...

edit: i may or may not have binge-read this story in like two nights, staying up way too late even though i have exams all week this week... Oops

Login or register to comment