• Published 22nd Jan 2015
  • 1,371 Views, 51 Comments

The Marching Madness - Orbiting Kettle



In a world where Discord won, a colt and his family will embark on a perilous journey.

  • ...
1
 51
 1,371

The Marching Madness

Ah, another soul ready to climb up. For that, you have my respect, for all the good it will do to you. Yes, I am the Storyteller… It’s what I do and what I am, simple as that… So, what tale do you want to hear? Something heroic? A dashing story of adventure and lost treasures? You want what? Oh, I see, unusual choice, but I simply provide a service, and I never question my audience.

Let’s start from the beginning of my story. Well, not really the beginning, I don’t think you would care about the first ten years of my life. They are important memories I cherish and treasure along with those of my parents, but let’s be honest, they are a bit boring, and in the grand scheme of things they play a very minor role.

My father was a farmer, a honest, hard working pony, salt of the earth, strong and gentle. My mother was a piper, not really talented enough to tame the wilderness all on her own, but she could get you a safe passage and guard the border of the farm. Both worked very hard to give me a happy foalhood and, for what they could, stability in this mad, mad world.

All this crumbled when the First Chair died, and his apprentice wasn't good enough to fill his position. The wilderness started to reclaim the borders. Musicians like my mother could only slow it down. We had to go, but not all together; no other settlement could receive and feed a whole village. Our composer contemplated the chaos outside, then, directed by glimpses of things to come, gave each family a score that would lead them to distant relatives or other known communities.

As we left, I saw my father cry for the first and last time. My mother didn't show much, but I know now that it was hard for her too. Me, I thought it was an adventure. You know how it is when you are a colt: everything is new and luminous, there’s nothing a hug from mom can’t solve, and dad is the biggest and strongest pony ever. What I’m saying is, I was pretty dumb, like every foal of that age. Now, now, don’t act like I said something horrible, it’s that stupidity that lets us dream a better world, it’s there that hope is born, and we should do everything possible to protect it. Time wears us down enough without us shattering our own sweet illusions.

So, where was I? Ah, yes…

For the first time in my life, I left the shrinking borders of my old home, my father pulling a cart with all our earthly belongings, my mother playing an upbeat theme, perfect for a trip, carving a little path of coherence in the boiling chaos of the world. I was full of energy and curiosity, and gasped at the wonderful sights outside the path. For all its danger and insanity, the wilderness can be full of beauty and marvels. I saw giant flowers laughing at a green sun, dew dripping from them and crystallizing into incredible cities that shattered into diamond mist when they touched the whipped cream soil. Swarms of translucent books played around a towering five-headed stone giant that painted the sky with broad strokes of ennui.

There were horrors too, but I really can’t remember them, just the haunted look in my parents’ eyes as they distracted me from the worst. We traveled for a few sleeping cycles, the night chasing the day in the unfathomable rhythm of creation. Each time we stopped, my mother created a camp. It was a well known piece that permitted her to recover, but even so, fatigue was taking its toll on her. We were maybe one more rest away from Placid Meadow, where some of my mother’s cousins lived, when the dissonant Parade caught us.

It started with the path flickering, and then shattering before and behind us. The wilderness, an almost solid wall of rapidly mutating reality, came crashing down to reclaim what we had conquered, boiling with feverish visions, screaming at us, who had dared to tame it. Bubble fairies laughed under the shadow of the great lizard queen, crying black tar that fell onto a patchwork of broken dreams and candy. A cardboard pony ran circles around us, declaiming incomprehensible mathematical rhymes that oozed sideways, staining the air with a wretched smell. My mother tried frantically to improvise something even vaguely harmonical to contrast the whirlwind of nonsense around us, but it wasn't enough. Trapped inside a little spot of coherence, we heard the horrid laughter, and then the chaos parted, showing the incoming procession of insane dancers, musicians and lost souls.

Four-winged pegasi left rainbow trails around flipping and jumping earth ponies with too long legs danced to a music only they could hear, stomping and kicking each other with cruel giggles. Unicorns with beaks showered the scene with negative light fireworks. It all clashed together in a ferocious brawl, tambourines, each following a different tempo, deformed metallic cellos howling against the heavens, and angry, joyless dances filled with biting and hitting. In the center of the Parade, garish painted carts of wood and iron decorated with the bodies of ponies, dangling from them like broken marionettes, suffering groans coming from inside, a spiderlike creature on the biggest wagon improvising a puppet show with them.

I’m not too keen on remembering what followed when they reached us, even after all these years. My father died first, or at least I think and hope he did; one could never be sure. As for my mother…

Let me only say that something else happened to her. I don’t know exactly what they did, maybe I forgot or maybe I never understood, but at the end she wasn't anymore. And they made me watch. They almost never take adults alive, but colts and fillies were fine additions for their deranged festival. If things had gone differently, maybe I would be out there foaming and laughing without joy.

But salvation came, and this is what you are really here for, not the ramblings of an old stallion. No, believe me, I know your kind, now listen…
It began with a rhythmic thumping, then the pulsing of a bass I felt in my hooves, then a fiddle cutting through the dissonance like a hot knife through butter. For the first time in, I suspect, a very long time, the Parade was silent. Then a deep voice, raw and grating, yet warm and powerful, started to sing an old harvest song, about the suffering brought by bad weather and harsh winters, and about the strength to carry on. And that voice, that music, that power, blasted the wilderness open in a storm of lightning and fire.

In the middle of it all stood four ponies.

To my young eyes, they looked like the legends of the past, before the Harmony War and the fall of the old order. There was a giant brown stallion with a black mane, the biggest pony I'd ever seen before or since, pounding with his hooves on the ground and shaking the world with his thunder. Beside him was a pegasus with a deep green coat and a white mane, her left side covered in scars and her left wing crippled, playing a golden fiddle that set the air aflame. Between them was the singer, a unicorn with a broken horn, blue fur and steel grey mane, an aura of power visible around him. The last was the contrabass player, a bright yellow mare with a fiery red mane and a piece of tissue covering her eyes, her deep melody like the bones of the mountains: solid, unshakable, eternal.

The world reshaped around them, shimmering golden fields replacing the wilderness, as the Parade regained itself and, howling, renewed their wild confusion. The creatures that were holding me down let me go and charged against the band. But I knew something they didn't: the second part of the song, the one that talked about raging against the chaos and confusion, the angry part. I instinctively ran behind a rock, covered my ears and closed my eyes. I still could feel the unrelenting pounding, the precise bass, the air vibrating. And then there was silence.

I became suddenly aware that I was screaming, tears flowing freely. Somepony tapped on my shoulder. I fell silent, opened my eyes and looked up. There stood the brown stallion, a gentle look on his face. I stood and emerged from my hiding place. The shattered remains of the Parade’s wagons were everywhere, and a few corpses littered the field surrounded by heaps of ash, the only remains of those who had fully embraced chaos. The bodies lying there were ponies, without the extraneous parts I had seen on them before. They looked almost peaceful, maybe resting for the first time in many years. I walked in shock through the wreckage, the stallion following me a few steps behind, until I reached the clearing. As I saw the fiddler and the singer composing the remains of my parents, I let out a broken sigh, and ran to them. I fell down, hugging the corpses, and howling in anguish. I’m not sure how long I remained there, the screaming became crying, then sobbing. At some point, my voice gave out and I could only cough.

I think I passed out at some point, because when I was shaken awake by the brown stallion, it was night. A few makeshift torches had been placed around a rudimentary camp. At a little distance, a funeral pyre had been built, and the stallion led me there, as I tried to rub the sleep and the exhaustion from my eyes. There, on the unlit pyre, lay my parents. They had cleaned them up and given them some dignity. I stood there, staring, lost, until somepony tugged at my side. It was the stallion from before. He reached in his saddle purse, pulled out my mother’s broken flute and gave it to me. I looked at it for a while, the reality of the situation settling down inside my mind, and let out a sob. I hadn't any more tears. The stallion trotted briefly to the camp, then came back with a torch that he stuck in the ground beside me. He then took a few steps back, and pointed at it.

I nodded, took the torch, and lit the pyre. As the flames embraced the two bodies, a deep humming came from behind,a requiem sung by the singer without words to lead my parents to what came next. Their spirits would live on, and their bodies would not be ravaged by the wilderness. I looked back, to the fire consuming what remained of my infancy, grateful for these last moments I shared with the two ponies I loved most.
At the end of the sleep cycle, two quick nights later, the group started dismantling their camp. I had had an unruly sleep, nightmares tormenting me, and now I was tired and unsure what would become of me. I looked up at my saviors, the fiddler feeding the bassist with tissue on her eyes. The singer was gathering their meager belongings, while the drummer loaded an old battered cart.

I walked over and, not looking directly at him, asked. “We were, I mean, I was… I need to go to Placid Meadow. There are some relatives there, and I don’t know where else to go and…” He interrupted me by placing a giant hoof on my shoulder and shaking his head, a sad look in his eyes.
“W-what?” I asked. “is there a problem? Has something happened to Placid Meadow?” He simply pointed in the direction of the wreckage of the dissonance Parade. I looked around, and could only say, “Oh, I see…” I fell on my hindquarters, the weight of my situation pressing down on me like a lead blanket and then, too drained to even cry, I contemplated my fate from a distance, feeling just a vague connection with the stupid little colt sitting in that clearing.

A whistle put an end to my musings. Confused I saw that the band had finished loading up their camp. The fiddler had a rope around her chest, the other end held in the bassist’s mouth. The singer was pulling the smaller cart, while the drummer had attached himself to my parents’ supply cart and was gesturing for me to follow. I jumped up and trotted to them, my first glimmer of hope in what felt like an eternity.

And so started my voyage with the band. They never said a word, even Singer, yet still I came to know them a little. Drummer was the most extroverted, and gave the tempo during travel, shaping a semblance of order we could walk upon. Bassist was blind; I once saw her without the tissue, and her eyes were no more. She was gentle with me. Fiddler cared for her, leading her, feeding her, helping her with all the little things. The rest of the time, the flightless pegasus read the same book again and again, a tourist guide to Cloudsdale, whatever that was, and played lullabies. Singer was a wonderful cook and a horrible chess player. Losing against a blank flank didn't seem to bother him. As we walked, he would often start to hum something, never finishing it. It took me a while to realize that it was always the same particular theme, an unfinished tale that added to the mystery of that strange gang. They all had one thing in common: a horrible scar where their cutie marks should have been. I never asked what happened, not that I would have received an answer, but I thought it must be the reason for their silence.

In contrast to my mute guardians, I would chatter on and on. I don’t think it disturbed them, maybe with the exception of Fiddler, but at the time the possibility never crossed my mind. I talked as we were walking, blabbed when the camp was prepared, jabbered during the dinner, blathered myself to sleep hugging somepony, and started the prattle again when I woke up. I was trying to fill the void with stories, nonsensical rhymes, half remembered poems, old fables and whatever else passed through my mind. The only time I was silenced was when I started to sing, as I had never inherited even a little amount of my mother’s talent.

We came across a few settlements, or the remains of them. Where once little towns had cut out an oasis of peace from the wilderness, only smoking ruins infested by pockets of chaos and disfigured corpses remained. The traces of the dissonance Parades were evident, and every time we saw another memento to destroyed lives, I could see hatred and fury in the eyes of my companions.

The first time I helped build the pyre for the remains of a small village, I asked Drummer, “Are you hunting the Parades?” He looked down at me — he looked down at everypony — and shook his head. “Then where are you, I mean, where are we going?” He trotted to the cart, and came back with an old scroll. I carefully opened it.

To all those who can shape the world with music

To those that want to restore order

To those that believe that a better world can be rebuilt

The last princess of Equestria, Twilight Sparkle

Calls heroes and musicians of talent to Canterlot

To the most important Festival that was ever hold

Together we can bring the Harmony back!

Together we can shape Equestria again!

Together we can bring peace to these lands!

At the end of the scroll was a little note and a musical transcript that I recognized as the one Singer often hummed. The note said, “This score will help you find the way to the base of the great stairway. Once there you need to ascend it, as it is the only way to the great sky castle.”

I looked skeptically at the scroll. I had heard the stories about the last princess of Equestria, the only survivor in the war against Discord, but it was a very old legend. My father had said that his grandfather's grandfather had told it. I rolled the scroll up and gave it back to Drummer.
“How old is this?” He only shrugged as he brought it back to the cart, carefully stowing it away. As he came back I asked him, “Don’t you think that this festival has already passed?” He shrugged again. “Don’t you care that maybe you are making this long journey for something that doesn't exist anymore?” I was exasperated. He smiled and shook his head.

Our voyage continued for another month, thirty sleeping cycles of repelled dangers, daring escapes and bitter fights. We had been hunted by the ponyfication of the color grey. We trudged through a storm of chocolate milk. We needed to pay respect to the king of the bells and his armies, his reign raised and destroyed in one thousand heartbeats, and we found more and more razed communities.

A storm was brewing inside our souls, and even my chattering became more sparse. With each destroyed village, each display of senseless violence, I felt a cold fury grow inside me, fed by my pain and the horrors the Parades inflicted upon ponykind. Then, one day, standing before a burned down school, like the one I went to what seemed a lifetime ago, my anger coagulated into resolve. I grabbed a spear from the ground, its head dirty with blood. It hadn't saved the ponies of this nameless village, but it would avenge them. I couldn't make music, I couldn't reshape the world, but I surely could ram a pointy stick through the culprits of this obscenity. As I turned to my comrades, I saw a brief glimpse of guilt on the face of Drummer, pain in the eyes of Singer, and an approving nod from Fiddler.

As we proceeded in the coming cycles, the forest around us became slowly more normal, the traces of chaos diminished. Then we heard the distant drums beating conflicting rhythms. As the forest slowly cleared, other instruments joined in a cacophony that hurt our very souls. I gnashed my teeth, tears dropping from my eyes. And as we finally came out from under trees atop a big hill, the spectacle beneath us elicited a gasp from Fiddler, and left me speechless.

In the distance, in the middle of fields and orchards, sat the biggest settlement I'd ever seen, a thing that seemed one of the legendary cities of old. The oasis of order it had created was so big I couldn't see the borders on the other side. From the center of the city, a spiral stairway ascended into the sky, punching through the clouds, up to a floating castle of staggering beauty, the sun reflecting on the white walls and glittering on the windows. And yet even this scene was tainted. Between us and the city was the Parade, a sickening mass of howling, foaming, pulsing creatures, a horrid abscess of chaos infecting the valley, with more and more madness coming from all directions and gathering there.
We could hear the faint music of the defenders from the city walls, but it was drowned out by the discordant noise. I looked at my companions, and saw that the shock was fading.

Fiddler whispered in Bassist’s ear. Drummer moved the carts under the trees, bringing the instruments back. Meanwhile Singer had started to trace strange symbols in the dirt. The brown stallion returned, wearing metallic horse shoes and carrying my spear, then shoved me out of the circle the unicorn was creating. At my protests he simply gave me the weapon and indicated a tree. He pointed at the circle, and made it abundantly clear that I shouldn't go there. I stared at him, not understanding. He simply gave me a warm smile and patted me on the shoulder, then entered the almost finished design , looking out on the valley.

Fiddler and Bassist came. The pegasus looked at me, and hugged me for the first time. I could feel warm tears on my shoulder, and was about to say something as she pulled back, dried her eyes with a hoof, and smiled. Bassist gave me a kiss on my forehead. They took their instruments and joined the others in the circle. Singer simply waved at me, then turned in direction of the blasphemous festival.

Drummer hit the ground, and the sound, stronger than thunder, rolled down the hill. Another hit, another one, fusing in a precise tempo. Bassist added to that, and the ground began to shake. Fiddler interweaved a sound more luminous than the sun, sharper than a sword. The circle began to glow, the Parade turned, a tide of chaos coming up to us. Singer let out a howl of pain, and began with a song about the paradise we had lost. His voice was rough and a grating, yet it flowed like fresh water. It was a river washing over the valley, an earthquake shaking the foundations of the world, a storm sweeping away horror and dirt. The bindings that held the place together were disbanded and reformed in a new shape, chaos was molded in a image of the old world. The band shone like a star down onto earth. I don’t know how the gods of old were, but I’m sure I saw the new ones that day.

As I stared at them I started to notice other things. Bassist’s skin was stretching, opening wounds. What remained of singer’s horn crumbled. Fiddler’s healthy wing creaked and was bowing at unnatural angles, and Drummer started spitting blood. They continued, ignoring the pain, but it still wasn't enough. The screeching dissonant sea slowed down under wave after wave of power, creatures collapsing and turning to dust, but it didn't stop. The band was sacrificing themselves, and I was here, a colt without any talent, a useless spear, witnessing the end of everything good.

And I suddenly understood. It wasn't important if the festival in Canterlot had ended or not, or if it would really save the world. The important thing was hope, doing something for a better tomorrow.

I cried out, took my weapon and threw it with all my strength against the rising chaos. It never reached it: I was too young and inexperienced. But I could do something else, so I ran and jumped into the circle of light. the moment I entered the spell the world around me disappeared, and I was floating in the void. No sound, no light, only a question in my mind.

What are you willing to sacrifice?

The wordless question swam in my mind. What could I offer? I was a young dumb talentless colt, without cutie mark, without family, without even the innocence that had been murdered a lifetime ago. I didn't feel ready to offer my remaining time on this earth, not now that I had come so far and seen so much, not only despair and horror but also marvels and hope. As I racked my brain, something coherent formed in the back of my mind. I thought I finally understood some of the things the others had sacrificed. I had a name. I still had the potential of my talent, not yet expressed on my flank. I had the certainty that I would have a place in the world, one of the few fixed points that ponykind still retained. Maybe it was worth something, maybe…

So be it.

I heard those words, burning in my brain, followed by searing pain, and then nothing.

They told me later that when the song started to talk about hope, a blinding light washed away the whole valley. The horrid Parade shattered like glass under a hammer, the pockets of disorder burst and evaporated, and the old borders of the settlement expanded.

As I came to my senses again I was in total darkness. I started panicking until a soothing voice talked to me, calming me down. I was in the city of the stairway, Ponyville, and had been out for a week. My eyes were burned out sockets and scars covered the points where my cutie marks should be. The band had provided for me and found somepony to care for me as they had ascended to the castle.

They had also left me a book, one my new caretaker would read for me. It was Drummer’s journal, narrating the whole story from before they had met me. I raged, thinking they had abandoned me, feeling betrayed, abandoned a second time. It took weeks before I finally opened up to those who would become my new family, fearing they would go away like so many before. It took me months before I could even consider the idea of talking about the musicians. But becoming older means that a little bit of wisdom rubs off on you; what was only acceptance became forgiveness, and in the end love and respect.

With the passing of the years, my caretaker read Drummer's diary to me enough times that I knew it by heart. I started to tell the story again to anypony that would listen, and they told me their own in return. I will never know what my talent was, but I liked to talk and I had a decent memory. Before I knew it, I became the Storyteller and at last gained a new identity to replace the one I sacrificed.

What? Oh, I don’t know with whom or what I made the exchange. I described what I saw there to a traveling seer a few years ago. She couldn't divine much: some of the symbols apparently were ancient, older than the war or even the age that came before. As for the rest, even the blabbering pandemonium that is the wilderness was strangely silent. Drummer never wrote where they found that kind of magic. I think he feared it, whatever it is, though it didn't seem malicious to me. Maybe there is something underlying everything, a foundation for harmony and chaos. It would be comforting to know that there are some fundamental, eternal rules, even if they are cruel and unyielding.

I never left Ponyville again, what would an old, blind stallion do out there, after all? I have been here for the many that came to go up there, sometimes solitary players, sometimes whole orchestras. I have gathered everypony’s stories, I remember them all, and I tell them again when somepony like you comes along and asks.

Many decades have passed since then. You may think they have failed, but time is very different on the stairway. Those who have returned from the ascension say they haven’t managed to pass the many obstacles up there: riddles, guardians, devious traps. They returned after a few hours, but down here years have passed. So I am sure that the Fiddler, the Singer, the Drummer and the Bassist are still fighting their way up, and when they arrive in the great festival in Canterlot, they will reshape the world to what it once was.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Amneiger for the editing and the help.
Also, a big thanks to Present Perfect for additional editing and helping me fix some structural weaknesses.

Always remember this kids, Editors are awesome.

Comments ( 51 )

Was this the prompt that was based off Fallout: Equestria?

5536848 Yes, but I wanted a wasteland that was dangerous without being a poisonous desert. I am rather partial to the concept of green hell typical from how sci-fi stories from the forties and before pictured Venus.

I am here from the IRC to tell you that this story is legit as all hell. It feels good. It's an interesting take on a setting. It reflects an aspect of Discord and Harmony that most people would not even think to explore, and for that, I thank you.

Recommending this to everyone all day tomorrow.

Oh, may need another editing pass. I found a few small grammar issues with commas and other punctuation being misplaced or missing entirely.

5538882 Well, thanks. About the edit pass, could be my problem with importing it from GDocs and fixing a few things after that. I will see to solve it.

Comment posted by Magello deleted Jan 23rd, 2015

I wrote a review of this story; it can be found here.

This story is some of the most intriguing fantasy I have ever read. This is fucking magnificent.

5541671
Ok, now I'm blushing like a little filly, and that isn't a beautiful sight, believe me :twilightblush:

5541723

Haha, you deserve it, dude. Reading this made me really want to do something in a similar style.

And hey! Cheers for the watch.

That was different. Good. Strange. It took a while to get into the style, but I'm glad I did. It was an interesting, horrifying look at what life under discord's reign might have been like. Perhaps even what it was like before Celestia and Luna. Horrifying and interesting all at the same time.

Bravo.

My words are failing me.

You knocked this one out of the park. The world feels... right, even though it's gone so horribly wrong. It feels real to the narrator, and immersive to the reader.

I loved the colt's sacrifice as well. The pony standing against the chaos is what matters, not his weapon. A simple and powerful idea.

This was a beautiful tale. The setting may not have been, but the storytelling certainly was.

What is it about the Fo:E prompt and beautiful fics about the redemptive power of music?

This is amazing and beautiful in rhythm. You could sing it. This fic has the official Velvet Remedy Treble Clef of Approval.

Holy hell, this was fantastic. I'd like to see more from you in the future.

What he said. Care to explain what's going on here? (please respond to me tomorrow)

5542543
Glad you liked it. At the end this was the synthesis of a few ideas that were whirring in my head in the last years, with the contest being a happy catalyst to finally put them on (metaphorically) paper.

5549099
Well, we all have a strong emotive reaction to music, and FO:E has been for me (and I suppose for a lot of other people) about hope. The other thing, at least for me, is that music is a mathematically very tight form of art, one where disharmony is something we immediately perceive and which often disturbs us, so it is the perfect contrast for the form of real random, non creative chaos. A wonderful book on this is "This is your brain on music" by Daniel J. Levitin.

5552236
My problem is that I'm somewhat slow and that I have a bigger project that I want to finish before i start publish it.

This reminded me so much of Alice in Wonderland; only with less whimsy and more the stuff of nightmares. I really, really liked it. Kudos.

5552273
Well, here's an explanation, I like to think the whole thing is a little bit more nuanced, but this are the focal points:

-After a war with Discord, at some point after his reformation, the ponies lost. The world fell to chaos, laws of physics not meaning much anymore.
-Music, being a mathematically very precise form of art, can be used by ponies to tame the chaos and bring some order back. Settlements form, where musicians hold the chaos, now called wilderness, back as the other ponies try to live in this little oases of calm.
-The first chair of the narrators village, in orchestras that is the role of the leading instrument, dies without a successor. The settlement of the narrator must be disbanded, as they can't hold the chaos back anymore, and so the story begins.
-During their journey the narrator and his parents are attacked by a group of ponies that have fallen to the chaos, embracing the violence and abandoning the harmony. This parade does horrible things to the parents, and is stopped in the last minute by a band of traveling and very powerful musicians.
-This band adopts the orphan colt, and take him with them to the great festival, an event organized by the last princess still surviving, Twilight Sparkle. This should be a kind of giant ritual that will maybe bring order back to Equestria with the help of the best musicians among ponykind.
-As they travel they find villages destroyed by the parades of ponies fallen to chaos, the colt sees the full extent of horror the wilderness brings.
-Arriving to Ponyville, the access point to the last part of the journey to the festival, they see that it is under siege by the chaotic masses, and will soon fall. The musicians start a spell that makes their performance more powerful, but evidently requires some sacrifice from them , explaining why they are maimed.
-The colt decides to help somehow, having witnessed what's out there, and feeling he has really no other talent to help, enters the ritual and sacrifices his sight, his future and his name.
-Decades after that he is still in Ponyville, gathering the stories of the ponies that will try to ascend the staircase and telling them to others.


Hope this helps.

Fascinating concept, brilliant imagery, but wordy, telly narration. Hard to avoid when you rely on nothing else. It's an interesting approach, but you could have done better by injecting more dialogue. Not whole conversations, just a few choice words, the kind Storyteller might vividly remember after all these years.

In the second half, you did that. It helped, but give each speaker (or actor, for the mutes) his own paragraph. Keeps things neat.

Few errors--your editor is doing his job--but it reads like narrative summary. You could have dramatized a few scenes, maybe doubled the length, and had a deeper, more powerful story. Fewer, stronger words would help too. Even Stephen King writes fluffy first drafts.

"Meanwhile Singer had started to trace strange symbols in the dirt." This could be rephrased: "Singer traced strange symbols in the dirt."

You have the makings of something great, like an uncut gem. It just needs refining.

I'm reminded of H.P. Lovecraft's The Music of Erich Zann more than anything by Lewis Carroll.

5565645
Thank you for the comment and for the time you took to point out the problems. I may rewrite it in the future, when I'm better and after I've finished my other current projects, and try to fix those issues.

I admit that I'm somewhat afraid of writing too long descriptions, padded with fluff, that break the flow of the story, but I hope that learning to balance this, avoiding a too dry narration, is something I will grok with a little more experience.

Bloody hellfire, am I glad Lambent sent me here. That was brilliant. Utterly brilliant.

It took a couple tries to get used to the writing style, but I'm glad that I kept trying. Good stuff.

5568080
Glad you liked it :twilightsmile:

5578259
I've heard the thing about the style a few times now. When you have some time, could you please explain to me what the could be problem? :twilightsheepish:

Well, I found this story after seeing Titanium Dragons review, and I enjoyed it a lot. Actually, I had my phone read it to me in my car... isn't living in the future great? :D

TD asked people to consider giving you a little feedback, so here's my $.02... hopefully you'll find it useful, or at least somewhat interesting.

Personally, I would have liked to see more attention directed at the wilderness. This is a story where the world itself almost counts as a character, and it would have been interesting to see that explored somewhat. i was able to pick up on the basic ideas clearly, so no worries there, but I was left wondering... how exactly does the music look interacting with the wilderness? How does the chaos appear and disappear? Besides glimpses of beauty, and the description of the parade, it's mostly glossed over. I think I'd have enjoyed learning a little more about it.

Also, the main character's sacrifice seemed slightly rushed. I didn't feel like he even knew exactly what he was agreeing to; just a few more words where he realizes what he's losing and why that's meaningful would have given it more impact for me.

I didn't have trouble with the writing style, although that may have been because I was listening; I've noticed that makes it easier for me to consume otherwise off-putting prose. I won't say anything specific about your style except that your sentences may tend towards long, but I did read the comments, and i'd like to add my own thoughts on the 'show/tell' thing. People throw these words around a lot, and they often say one is better than the other; I don't think that's usually useful advice, and taking it at face value can actually be damaging. i think showing and telling are BOTH necessary elements in a story, and vital tools for controlling the 'flow'. I won't claim I'm an expert or anything, but here's how I see it; telling, for me, is summarizing, while showing is describing in detail. The ideas of purple and beige prose need to be kept separate from this, because summaries can be just as flowery or flat as descriptions.

I'd guess that when people say your story is 'tell-y', what they mean is that you summarized pieces they'd have liked to see described in more detail, such as my own comments above. Summary moves the story along, glossing over detail, while telling tries to draw the reader more strongly by giving a clearer picture of what's happening. Both of these have places in a story, by highlighting what the author wants to showcase while shuffling past what's incidental to the theme. Perhaps some of your readers felt they would have been more engaged with the story if you'd given more engaging descriptions on some parts?

Note, this is just how I think about those words, and that's still murky at best. They're used very differently by lots of people, but perhaps you'll find my tools useful as a way to think about story structure. You're clearly no rank amateur, so please ignore this if it's useless.

I have one specific critique. When you said the artists were 'composing' the main character's parents, my brain immediately jumped to 'composing' in the musical sense, because music has such a strong and obvious place in this story. That was a little confusing.

Also, I'm not sure this story merits either the 'tragedy' or 'gore' tags. None of the descriptions seemed overly graphic for a 'dark' story, and the heroes seemed to succeed in what they were attempting. Yeah, there was sacrifice, but... they made it to the stair, and even (maybe?) saved Ponyville. The main character's parents died, but he himself admits that's mostly incidental.

Anyways, I enjoyed this, especially the 'lush' world. I set out with a similar idea for my own contest entry, (I'm sick to death of drab gray apocalypse) and when I realized you'd done something similar, I thought I'd give it a go despite the tags. Turns out that was a good idea. Excellent work, and keep writing!

...wow, that turned out long.

5621156
Thanks for the time you took for the comment. I really appreciate it and it is helping with my other projects, although I will probably repeat some errors often before I metabolize the correct way to do things.

Well, I found this story after seeing Titanium Dragons review, and I enjoyed it a lot. Actually, I had my phone read it to me in my car... isn't living in the future great? :D

Yay for the future, I find it exhilarating when people complain that they miss their jetpack while communicating with a handheld device that has more power than a 10 kg desktop computer 15 years ago, connected to a vast global knowledge network of mind boggling complexity.

Personally, I would have liked to see more attention directed at the wilderness. This is a story where the world itself almost counts as a character, and it would have been interesting to see that explored somewhat. i was able to pick up on the basic ideas clearly, so no worries there, but I was left wondering... how exactly does the music look interacting with the wilderness? How does the chaos appear and disappear? Besides glimpses of beauty, and the description of the parade, it's mostly glossed over. I think I'd have enjoyed learning a little more about it.

Because of the twofold trauma of having been submitted to some atrocious flowery prose in the past and years of writing dry technical documents and reports, I need to seriously recalibrate my descriptive writing. I often fear to overdo it. Still, here Saint Editor helped a lot, the first draft was even drier, and this is one of the things on which I try to work most, so there should be hope for the future.

Also, the main character's sacrifice seemed slightly rushed. I didn't feel like he even knew exactly what he was agreeing to; just a few more words where he realizes what he's losing and why that's meaningful would have given it more impact for me.

He really doesn't know what he agrees on when he jumps, but you are right, I should have lingered more on the consequences of it all, even when I wanted to give the impression that he downplayed it intentionally. You can’t see that there is something left out without any hints, and these are missing.

I didn't have trouble with the writing style, although that may have been because I was listening; I've noticed that makes it easier for me to consume otherwise off-putting prose. I won't say...
… been more engaged with the story if you'd given more engaging descriptions on some parts?
Note, this is just how I think about those words, and that's still murky at best. They're used very differently by lots of people, but perhaps you'll find my tools useful as a way to think about story structure. You're clearly no rank amateur, so please ignore this if it's useless.

I am an amateur, and this is far from useless. The thing is, I wanted to write it like it was a tale told over a mug of cider (to remain pony themed), so the offsetting tone came from this, which may explain why it sounded better as a reading from your phone. I think that this can generally be grouped with my other big problem, contextualization. I need to establish a context for the whole thing sooner, I need to hint at why the sacrifice and the death of the parents of the storyteller seem to be something emotionally distant for him, even if at the moment it was a defining experience. I also need to add a few more descriptions, so as to give the parts where he simply tells things more strength.

I have one specific critique. When you said the artists were 'composing' the main character's parents, my brain immediately jumped to 'composing' in the musical sense, because music has such a strong and obvious place in this story. That was a little confusing.

Irresponsible use of a thesaurus and falling to an almost “false friend”. Another thing to be fixed in a far future rewrite of the thing.

Also, I'm not sure this story merits either the 'tragedy' or 'gore' tags. None of the descriptions seemed overly graphic for a 'dark' story, and the heroes seemed to succeed in what they were attempting. Yeah, there was sacrifice, but... they made it to the stair, and even (maybe?) saved Ponyville. The main character's parents died, but he himself admits that's mostly incidental.

Tags are a fiddly thing (rating is even worse in my opinion), highly subjective I suspect, and I am not really sure if I used them correctly. I thought they were appropriate, coupled with the Teen rating, but that’s something i need to review. Wow, my “things to review” list is growing nicely...

Anyways, I enjoyed this, especially the 'lush' world. I set out with a similar idea for my own contest entry, (I'm sick to death of drab gray apocalypse) and when I realized you'd done something similar, I thought I'd give it a go despite the tags. Turns out that was a good idea. Excellent work, and keep writing!
...wow, that turned out long.

Glad you liked it, and thank you again for the time you took to write all this. As Said before, I really appreciate criticism, even better when long and articulated.

5621230 I know! We're *this* close to usable wireless power, too! CES was great this year.

Personally, I don't re-write. I feel i learn more by moving on to new projects and applying what I've learned. if you take another go at this story, I'll be interested, but if you don't... well, that's fine too.

Ah, amateur and 'rank' amateur. You've already moved past the point of falling into traps such as assuming the reader will like your favorite characters, or not differentiating between what you've intended to convey and what people see. What I mean to say is, you've clearly got experience telling stories, and that's more than enough to put you a cut above a 'n00b'. Learning to write is about creating a set of tools for creating a story, and you've clearly started your set; you've learned how to learn, but I've no idea how far along you are, or how we compare. i see the strengths in your story and want to appropriate them, and I hope to share a little of my own, but I'm guessing at what you'll find useful. I'm glad I hit.

Yeah, tags are subjective. If you still feel they were appropriate, that should be enough; the elements ARE there, they just didn't seem prominent to me, and I tend towards minimalism on my covers. They somewhat define the target audience along with the story, so if you want to attract people who like those tags, then I'd say keep them.

I'm on the opposite curve of the descriptive spectrum; if I'm not careful, my prose flowers, sends out runners, and puts down roots before eating the plot alive. (Recently with alliteration.) I've definitely gotten the 'purple prose' complaint on my writing, so I know what you mean about needing to calibrate. The best advice I've read on the matter is 'cherish every word', and I think that sums it up well. Good description should be freighted with a weight of meaning. For me, that's cutting fluff; for you, adding emotion.

Anyways, I'm happy to help, and I've toyed with the idea of being a pre-reader. It would be nice to talk about writing with people. If you want this sort of feedback on future work, don't hesitate to send something along. I can't promise to be what you need, (or available during the week) but I'll try to be thoughtful and articulate as long as you're not writing porn or horror.

And now, I really should be getting to bed. Have a good day!

You did a very good job of making a unique interpretation of the prompt and nailing the theme of hope that was so central to Fallout: Equestria. However, this story suffers a bit from lack of immersion. The amount of telling is not overbearing, and it does make some sense given that the story was written with a "old man sitting by the fire telling stories" tone, but it's still not ideal for creating a memorable reading experience. For example, you note that "[a]s they travel they find villages destroyed by the parades of ponies fallen to chaos, the colt sees the full extent of horror the wilderness brings," but the only pertinent section within the story is:

With each destroyed village, with each display of senseless violence, I felt a cold fury grow inside of me, fed by my own pain and the horrors the parades inflicted upon ponykind...

I think the story could have benefited from showing us a better picture of what the wilderness. The first parade, the one that killed his parents, is an example of one you did right. The descriptions of what happened to the narrator's parents is a bit sparse, but it's still gripping. It would have been really great to see more of that sprinkled throughout the story.

The story has a lot of potential. I think it mostly just needs to be lengthened, with less focus on summary and more on dramatization. It's a difficult balance to be sure, but I think you're close to the right spot.

5624187
Hmmmm, do you think a memoir style, in contrast to the informal storytelling, would help fixing the problems?

Anyway, I feel that I need to develop a few tools to improve this piece in a sensible way, so I will probably let this story rest for a bit.

5625086
A memoir would allow space for greater detail, and can better provide the tension that comes with removing the emotional distance of the events. I think it definitely could world, though the informal storytelling style also has its merits.

I think a memoir would be an easier way of addressing the story's faults, but I don't think the method of narration limits the story enough that it's a necessary change. As long as you can get the execution down, the story will work with whatever manner you choose to express it.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

My god, this is one of the most fantastic wastelands I've ever seen. Is this inspired by Paprika? I got major Paprika vibes from it, mostly the parade.

I looked back, to the the fire consuming what remained of my infancy, grateful for this last moments I shared with the two ponies I loved most.

You've got some other editing issues, and it seems to get worse as the story nears the ending. I'd be willing to go through this again and give you some detailed feedback, if you'd like.

5685564
Well, it really is a pastiche inspired by Paprika, the Wyld from the Exalted setting, a bit of Grant Morrison and a bit Alice in Wonderland (but, let's be honest, in our day and age very few fantasy stories don't take at least a bit inspiration from that).

As for the editing issues, I always appreciate help and feedback.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

5686001
Give me a week or so! I really like this and want to see it at its best. :)

5686815
No problem, and thanks again.

i'm glad you liked it despite the issues.:pinkiehappy:

Wow. This was great. The post-apocalyptic world you've built here is one of the most intriguing I've seen on this site.

Also, the Parade scenes reminded me of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury.

6006066
I admit that I miss this specific novel, something I must clearly correct sooner or later. I am glad you liked the story, it feels good to do something that entertains.

This is nice. Your parade scene, and Twilight's invitation, remind me of The Neverending Story-- one of my favorite books.

6197930
That is a wonderful compliment. Thank you:pinkiehappy:

I read this while listening to a collection of epic videogame music... and it was, well, epic.
The colourful and blooming language was needed, in my mind, to describe the wilderness in all its insanity. Keeping it vague in many aspects added to the effect. Hard hitting in its brevity despite the story format, expressive with language and with vivid imagery.
I can see why this is not everyone's cup of tea.
Well, it's mine though. Have a fav.

6470912
I'm very glad you liked it:raritywink:

I read it in translation, but anyway this is outstanding story

Great story! I loved the topic you chose and how yu wrote it, have a like! :twilightsmile:

7380433
Well, thank you. I'm really glad you appreciated it, and thanks for the like:pinkiehappy:

This story is really, really good. My only objetion would be that in my opinion neither the tags or the synopsis make this story justice, with is a jame cause I think a lot of people would enjoy this. Sorry I can't comment more now; but amazing story indeed!

7780527
Thank you. I kinda still feel the tags are appropriate, but maybe more for the things implied than those shown.

As for the synopsis, you are probably right, I should go back on that sooner or later.

Incredible stuff. My only regret is not reading it earlier. Thank you for it.

8156400
I'm glad you liked it. I admit that, even among my sparse production, I'm still quite attached to this story.

What they truly need is the Impossible One, a being on pure chaos and pure order in one. Only such a being can sweep away relentness savage chaos and impose the rule of Lulz upon the broken world!

And here I am.

(Discord soils himself in terror, as the Deux Ex Self-Insert, the Troll God, Alondro the Ever-RickRolling descends upon the world to a chorus of kazoos and Gilbert Godfried's heavenly singing voice)

:trollestia:

5621328 Eh, the amount of power loss from transmitting electricity through air is quite large. It's feasible from short distances, such as those pacemaker batteries. But the greater the distance, the more exponential the power loss.

Yes, you can transmit power across the country through the air. But you'd lose more than half of it. Air is a potent resistor. And if you use microwaves, well... first off you still lose a lot of power over long distances unless you use an exceedingly cohesive beam... kiss anything in the path of that beam goodbye.

9329381
No being with any amount of true order inside would tollerate kazoos. Makes me suspect that the title in your case may be fake.

Well, that and seeing how it seems somebody added it later with a sharpie, but mostly the first thing.

9329698 I'll have you know sharpies are a legitimate editing tool!

Login or register to comment