• Published 30th Mar 2014
  • 12,588 Views, 377 Comments

Why Am I A Bug? - DJ TR33



A human wakes up in Chrysalis' body shortly after the Changeling Invasion. She's not happy.

  • ...
36
 377
 12,588

Chapter 5: The Flight

Chapter 5: The Hive
By DJ TR33

I flew toward the sandstone structure, my new-found wing muscles screaming in agony. The Hive had seemed pretty close before, only a few miles, but that had been an illusion. It was far larger than I had thought, and as a result it was a lot farther away as well. Which meant that not only was it harder for me to carry Frank, it was also important that I flew quickly.

Imagine the first time that you get on a bike, then imagine that you're biking with strange new appendages that you've never used before. Then imagine that you have to bike as fast as you possibly can, with an ungainly weight strung over your back, and you'll start to imagine the problem I was facing.

Flying isn't exactly like biking, though. In addition to the whole wings thing, it also has two extra directions that you can fuck up in. There's a bit more room for error, but if you screw up and actually crash the consequences are way more severe.

Admittedly, I had some help with the whole mysterious instincts thing, but I was still swerving around like a bumblebee on crack when I first started, and I only marginally improved as I went.
"I swear to god, Frank, if we don't make it I'm going to fucking kill myself. Then the wyrm. Then you." He made no comment, being as he was completely passed out. "Yes, in that order, and I don't care if it doesn't make sense!" I yelled back to him. This was accompanied by another swerve, this one sending me down toward the sand. Objectively speaking, when you're flying, down is the worst direction to go if you fuck up, and also happens to be the most common.

"Fuck!" I screamed as we plummeted back toward the sand, only recovering when I was about ten feet off the ground. Fortunately, the drop had resulted in a surge of adrenaline, helping me forget about how much pain I was in and giving me a momentary burst of energy.

I looked up and noticed that the Hive seemed to have grown bigger. By my estimate, it was about the size of a small town, probably about one mile in diameter and half that in height. Despite myself, the pain, the heat, Frank's condition, and my erratic flying skill, I started to smile. So, of course, the universe decided it was time to fuck with me one more time.

"Who goes there?" a voice shouted out at me, seeming from out of nowhere. Fifty feet in front of me, a slight shimmer in the air that I had taken for a heat mirage flashed with green fire, revealing another drone much like Frank. His sudden appearance and loud voice momentarily startled me, but I'm proud to report that I kept all dignity in handling the surprise.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!" I screamed, losing control of my wings and falling toward the sand at an alarming speed. After a moment I regained enough clarity to try to get back up, but all my frantic flapping did was slow me down enough to only crash into the sand, and not slam into it like a whale falling from space.

I hit the ground hard and immediately lost my grip on Frank. I then stopped noticing anything else as I tumbled head over... hooves, I guess, finally ending up lying face down in the sand, every part of my body hurting once more.

"It's the queen!" I heard a voice distantly call out, but I was more preoccupied by the fact that, once more, I had gotten sand in my mouth. I had just gotten to the point where my whole mouth didn't feel unbearably gritty, and now I was back to square one. Fuck you, too, universe.

I slowly stood up, wincing as the pain in my everywhere throbbed. Fortunately, no one part seemed seriously injured. As I did so, a buzzing sound came from the sky, and Frank landed next to me, looking a lot better and more conscious than the last time I'd seen him.

On closer inspection, I realized that this wasn't actually Frank. Not just because of the lack of a heavily bleeding wound-- there were other signs, small details that I doubted I would have noticed if my new instincts didn't immediately draw my eye to them. A small difference in his stature, mane thingy, compound eyes, and even the pattern on his wings all told me that this changeling was most definitely not Frank.

"My queen, are you all right?" he asked, his voice filled with concern. It had a slightly higher pitch than Frank's, although the whole honorific thing would fit right up Frank's ally. In fact, I think that was the exact same thing Frank had said when he bumped into me. "I offer my humblest apologies. I have injured you--"

"Okay, we are not doing this fucking thing again, you shitwank!" I said, as he started to offer up his neck. "I already had to deal with it once, and if I have to do it again I'm going to scream!" I realized that I had gotten louder and louder as I was talking, to the point where I was already screaming when I reached the end of my sentence. The drone graciously didn't point out the irony, being too busy cowering in fear. I felt my anger go out of me. It wasn't his fault he'd been there, and he was probably just acting under orders from "Queen Chrysalis". It made sense to have guards around a city, especially one filled with emotional bug vampire things.

"Look, I'm sorry. I think we got off on the wrong hand-- er, hoof." He looked up, seeming to be completely taken aback. I guess Chrysalis wasn't big on the apologies. Or mercy, if the whole offering their heads for their mistakes is any indication. "I've just had a long day, and I just got a bit fired up. My bad."

"Yes, my Queen," he said, bowing, although he still seemed very confused. He looked back up at me. "What are your orders?"

I paused, thinking for a second. I'd kind of forgotten that being mistaken for a bug queen could have benefits, too. I mean, why do I need to wear myself out flying Frank back when I could just get drones to do it for me? I stopped, realizing that was a very dangerous line of thought. Time and again, rulers have come up who treat their subjects like nothing more than tools, and all of those rulers have been horrific tyrants. Still, I was really tired, and in a lot of pain, and there was some fucking sand in my mouth again, so maybe just this once...

I made a decision. "Go and get Frank over there, then fly him back to the Hive," I said, gesturing with my hoof. "We had a bad encounter with a wyrm, and he took a hit for me, so I'd like him to be given everything he needs to get back up to full strength." He nodded, then sent up a burst of magic with his horn. Two other spots of air shimmered and turned to drones, who came down and helped the first drone with carrying Frank. Two of them lifted off, holding Frank between them, while the third came back over to me.

"Do you have any other orders, my Queen?" He asked. I thought for a moment.

"Yeah, I do. Help me get back to my chambers, and then go see to Frank," I said. I knew that I was treading on thin ice here, mainly because I didn't know if I even had quarters, and I really didn't need this drone thinking I was crazy. But it seemed to work, because he nodded reverently and then helped me take off, guiding my flight as we came back toward the Hive. I found that flying without a weight was way easier, but by that point I was tired enough that I would probably have crashed headfirst into the sandstone side of the Hive without his help.

We landed at one of the tunnels, and I could feel exhaustion pulling at me, like some kind of tentacle beast in those fucked-up hentais. I cringed at the mental image, although it's nice to know that my brain was already messed up before I was deposited in the body of a tyrannical insect equine.

We went through some winding and rough-hewn tunnels before coming out into a large opening, crowded with a number of different changelings and carrying innumerable tunnels with changelings coming and going through each one, each tunnel set at a different height in the room. Because they were flying creatures, the changelings didn't need bridges, and the room had an air of chaotic energy as they weaved through the air and around each other, flying to and from various tunnels.

All the changelings in the room stopped what they were doing and turned to watch as we came in, their faces all masks of apprehension and fear. There'd been some noise in the cavern before, but now it was completely silent, save for the buzzing of wings as they all hovered in place, watching me with buggy eyes. The effect was kind of creepy, and I felt compelled to speak.

"Hey! Everyone, just... keep doing what you were fucking doing, alright?" I said, my voice carrying through the large chamber. Slowly, the changelings started moving around again, but I noticed that they all gave the drone and I a large berth as he led me across the room, finally taking me to a smaller tunnel. I noticed that this one was far nicer than the ones we'd been in before, a smooth tunnel with the circular walls and ceiling polished to a shine and soft sand on the floor to make it easier to walk.

Eventually, it opened up into a oval shaped room that shone black like the night sky. A lamp burned in the corner, lighting the room an eerie color with its green flame. A small pile of books was line up neatly on a shelf carved out of the rock wall, although judging from the dust I would've guessed they hadn't been read in a long time. But what really caught my interest was the large bed standing in the middle of the room, looking like something pulled straight from the seventeenth century. It had black curtains that went around it, hanging on golden rods. The comforter was also golden, comfortable, and looked really goddamn expensive, all though I was tired enough that it probably didn't really matter.

I mustered the last of my energy and threw myself up on the bed. I was asleep before I landed.

Author's Note:

You probably thought this story was alive. Nope! Chuck Testa!

Chrys, Frank, and Sand in the Mouth are back for another exciting episode of "Why am I a Bug", in which... nothing really happens. So I guess I lied about the exciting part. I also lied about the whole updating promptly thing. I would give an excuse, but I don't really have one, so how about we all just accept that I'm an asshole, and just (hopefully) enjoy the story.

In all seriousness, thanks to everyone who liked, faved, commented, and stayed with me. Your combined weight has caused enough guilt for me to practice the dark act of necromancy and bring this story back to life. Oops, guessed I lied about the seriousness part too. My bad.

Comments ( 134 )

W00t,

Frank is the best pone and It's nice to see more of him

Oops, guessed I lied about the seriousness part too. My bad.

So, this isnt srs bzns?

Yay, an update.

Woohoo guilt tripping the author into updating! The best way to get new chapters!

I eagerly await MOAAAAAR.

>long wait
>update

Yay! Brb reading.

Let's see how this ends.. and some reason I feel either the guard will come and mess everything up, chrys would change the hive big time, and well... still be stuck as a changeling for a long time...

4812380 Mango (Eat that bitch)

4812380
4812391 ...*flips table* fuck this *walks off*

but I was still swerving around like a bumblebee on crack when I first started

That I wanna see!:raritystarry:

It's about time Frank got some help...

4812243
Nah man
it's cereal business

idsgn.org/images/business-cards-from-cereal-boxes/cereal_boxes.jpg


4812363 :raritywink:

4812202 Nope. Kafka is boring and has a depressing outlook on humanity. Also, Gregor got fucked over in that story.

Congrats for featured.

4812500 oh. That's much more business–y.

4812425 Thats right....wabbajack defys logic so it wins instant....good slave of Madgod, good slave....NOW FETCH MY FISHSTICK TOWER!

4812578 I'm gonna have to go with no and by no I mean hell no and by hell no I mean fuck no and by fuck no i mean sweet mother luna fuck no

4812584 *hands you a cupcke in a crescent moon shape with Lunas' face iced on* will you do it now?

4812594 no...and when I said sweet mother luna it's because I worship the moon...I've always called it mother luna...and I hate cupcakes cause the cake is a lie even when it's a cup!

I'm half expecting an order to be given of, "Go forth and multiply... I mean worship... Which in this case are pretty much the same thing."

4812639 that's it. *starts to throw butter everywhere in a mad haze nearly killing everyone in the process of the magical butter of holy butterness*

I would give an excuse, but I don't really have one, so how about we all just accept that I'm an asshole, and just (hopefully) enjoy the story.

I cant do that!
Because...
1. You dont act like you're serious about that
2. Im already enjoying the story

4812656 ......wait one minute holy butter??? thats not butter thats swiss cheese!!!

Gonna have to end up naming every single drone in the place. Like the one that led her to her room, just be like 'Hmm, I'm gonna call you Dave.'

Anyway, I like this, it amuses me. If you'd care for an editor or pre-reader or anything, just ask.

The story is a ridiculous comedy and yet I cannot help but start considering how the languages are the same, and if that means that whenever she says "fuck" the surrounding changelings are hearing it as an equivalent profanity a literal translation or just a nonsense word?

Ahhh, an update! Long live the Queen!
But seriously, how long did it take? 3 months? Anyway, this is a good chapter, a bridge to future happenings, especially like the well awaited return of the queen...
Hm, I hope this time we will have a new chapter in a shorter amount of time.

Also, Frank should be back to 100, he deserves it.

-Zeph

*Sees new chapter in favorites* uh, let's see what story has been updated. *sips glass of water-* *sees it's this story* *proceeds to choke on water* KUGH HACK HACK KUGH HHHHHUUUUUUUUU(deep breath) huff! I GOTTA SEE THIS!!! *reads chapter* well fuck... nothing happened... sigh, I guess I just have to wait... AGAIN!



But all in all I can't wait to see what happens!!!

Still as good as ever. But please, try to update this more often.

4812578 And CHEESE! CHEESE FOR EVERY ONE!:pinkiehappy:

4812996 Sixteen weeks, so, four months.:moustache:

Nice to see that everyone at least managed to get out of the attack fine.

4812500 You americans get the most ridiculous cereals I swear, I mean Eggo cereal? EGGO FUCKING CEREAL? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHO WOULD LIKE THAT? :twilightangry2:

I've noticed a bad recurring habit in most HiE fics. Too much cursing. It is really distracting how just about every second sentence or so there is an unneeded curse thrown in for whatever reason.

:yay: Yaaaaay.

4813484 Egg based waffles, that are tasty enough for people to want to take them, hence "Let go." Tagline being: let go of my egg waffles. Into leggo my Eggo.

Marketting is weird.

Megayay, the story continues^^:yay:
I wonder how "her" changelings will be towards her

I must have more of this PLEASE :pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2:

We landed at one of the tunnels, and I could feel exhaustion pulling at me, like some kind of tentacle beast in those fucked-up hentais. I cringed at the mental image, although it's nice to know that my brain was already messed up before I was deposited in the body of a tyrannical insect equine.

that part made me laugh, good chapter.

I would give an excuse, but I don't really have one, so how about we all just accept that I'm an asshole, and just (hopefully) enjoy the story.

Indeed you are, if you're enjoying torturing us with the wait. :rainbowhuh:

4813713 The thing is, we have Eggo waffles here and I know the tagline. The problem is, who the fuck came up Eggo cereal? And why would anyone want it?

Takin sand to the face, LIKE A BAWSE!:rainbowdetermined2:

4814785 Okay that one I have no idea.

Login or register to comment