• Published 30th Mar 2014
  • 12,588 Views, 377 Comments

Why Am I A Bug? - DJ TR33



A human wakes up in Chrysalis' body shortly after the Changeling Invasion. She's not happy.

  • ...
36
 377
 12,588

Chapter 3: Changes and Changelings


Chapter 3: Changes and Changelings

"So, what exactly are you?" I said, sitting down in the sand. My headache seemed to be clearing up, but my body still felt bruised, and it was much easier to not have to concentrate on hard things like standing or walking. "What species?"

"We're changelings, My Queen," he replied. To his credit, he didn't seem to shocked by my question. That was good, since I had quite a few questions that would probably seem stupid as hell to him.

"Right, of course. Changelings. You wouldn't mind telling me everything you know about changelings, right?" He gave me another startled look. Maybe he wasn't as stoic as he had seemed.

"My Queen, I- I don't know where to start," he said, looking at me in alarm, as if he had no idea how to answer the question. Come to think of it, that's what he just said. Huh.

"What about... food? What do changelings eat?" It had been at the top of my list of questions, ever since I'd realized that I was in the middle of a goddamn desert. All I knew for certain was that Changelings didn't eat sand, but if I wanted to survive I'd have to know what was edible.

"We eat love, my Queen." He said it with such a straight face that I almost believed him.

"No, but seriously," I said, smirking at the changeling. I didn't think he had a prank in him, but I guess I was wrong.

"I am serious, my Queen," he said, starting to look nervous. I knew he was lying, but it somehow looked too convincing. For a moment, I entertained the idea, then immediately pushed it away. There was no way in hell he was telling the truth, but the doubt wouldn't go away as easily.

"Frank, I swear to God if you're fucking with me..." I said, turning on him. His eyes grew wide with fear, and I knew then that he was telling the truth.

"Holy shit, you were fucking serious?" I started laughing again. "Jesus, first Chrysalis, and now this bullshit? How do you even fucking get love?" I asked, my curiosity overcoming the sheer absurdity of the situation for a moment.

"We feed off the ponies, my Queen," he said, and I completely lost it. Frank gave me another one of his mildly concerned expressions, but it just made me laugh even harder. For a moment, I forgot about any of the pain in my body, and even the sand in my mouth.

"Ponies!" I screamed, laughing hysterically. "I can't handle this shit, I just can't." Something in me broke then. Just yesterday I'd been a normal person, trying to get through my classes and trying to deal with normal problems like rent and cooking. Now I was in the middle of a desert, as a changeling, whatever the hell that was, and apparently a queen as well. Oh, and apparently I ate love as well. I started laughing even harder. It hurt, my whole body protesting the action, but I just didn't give a fuck.

"My Queen?" Frank asked after a few minutes, looking more than mildly concerned this time. To be honest, he looked downright worried. "Are you alright?"

"Of course I'm not fucking alright, Frank," I managed, between gasps. I was honestly surprised it had taken him so long. "But I'm as sane as I'll ever be." Unsurprisingly, this didn't seem to help his concern.

Slowly, I managed to regain my composure, what little I have of it. When I'd calmed down enough to handle the thought of bug-horses eating love from ponies, I turned back to Frank. As amusing as--, no that didn't quite do the situation justice. As fucking hilarious as it was, it only raised more questions.

"So, how does the whole getting love thing work? Do you just go up to a herd of ponies and ask politely for their love, or do you have to feed them sugar cubes too?" Okay, so maybe I still couldn't entirely handle it, but I was trying, goddamnit!

"No, my Queen," he said, sounding almost ashamed. I turned to look at him, and if I'd still been human, I would have had one eyebrow raised. This was the first time since I met him that he'd expressed an emotion that wasn't fear. "We watch our target, then wait for one of their loved ones to leave. Then we step in and disguise as the absent pony, gathering love until our mission in finished. At least, that's how it's supposed to go."

His voice sounded angry then, and I realized I'd touched on a delicate topic. If my survival didn't depend on it, I probably would have changed the subject, but it couldn't really be helped. As it was, I was more preoccupied with the other, more disturbing implications of his statement. Like, for instance, that ponies were apparently sentient in this world, which made stealing their love seem less funny and more fucking terrifying. I had another question, though.

"You said you disguise yourselves, right? How does that work? Black bug things don't exactly make me think of ponies."

"Like this, my Queen," he said, and a green glow lit up around his horn. Green flame erupted from the point, quickly covering his whole body.

"Jesus fuck!" I yelled, stumbling back. A second later, a blue pony was standing in front of me, the flames rolling past the ends of his hooves and turning them into blue fur. The pony had a yellow mane and a tattoo of a hammer on its ass.

"How the hell did you do that?" I asked, moving closer to inspect him. The hair looked completely convincing, and when I poked him it felt like real horse hair too. I probably would have made fun of his blueness if the whole transformation wasn't as awesome as a rollerblading ferret.

"It's not very hard, my Queen," he replied, a definite blush coming to his cheeks, the red discoloration showing through his new blue hair. I was tempted to poke fun, but I wanted to learn how to do it more. "I just picture myself as the pony, then use magic to make it true."

"Oh, right. Just use magic, of course," I said. Still, I wasn't going to let a little thing like the laws of physics stand in the way of my awesomeness. It's not like the universe had been giving a shit about the limits of reality anyway. I closed my eyes, trying to picture myself as a multicolored pony. Almost instantly, a picture came into my head.

It's a bit difficult to explain what I did next, partly since I was acting entirely on instinct I didn't know I had. In essence, I pushed the idea of the picture out of my head and into the world. I felt a pressure build in my horn, as if the world itself was resisting the change, but I'd had enough of the world's bullshit. I felt a cool tingling envelop my body, falling down from my horn and enveloping the rest of my body, and when I opened my eyes to look at it, I saw that it was the same green flame that had covered Frank.

"That is so sick," I whispered as the transformation finished. Looking down, I saw that my body was covered with pink hair. I had a long mane that actually came out in front of my head, and I could see that it had a purple, rose, and white color, in different layers. Looking back, I saw a pair of pink wings and a tail with the same colors as my mane.

"Well, not a great start, I suppose," I said, examining myself. Bringing a hoof up to my head, I found that I also had a horn. "Fantastic," I muttered. "I look like a goddamn pony princess." Still, it was cool as shit.

I could still feel a slight pressure in the corner of my mind, trying to get me to stop defying physics, but it was easy enough to ignore. I was sure that somewhere my physics teacher was crying to himself as I did so. I turned to Frank, but his expression looked pained.

"What's the matter?" I asked, cocking my head. He opened his mouth, but he seemed very reluctant to speak. Unfortunately, he was interrupted by the ground shaking like crazy. From a dune thirty feet away, a giant creature erupted from the ground. It had green gray skin, and its face was just a ring of teeth surrounding a black hole. It kept on coming out of the ground until it broke free entirely, leaping up in a small arc before crashing back into the ground, moving through the sand like a fish through the water.

That glimpse had given me a sense of its size, though. At about three feet wide and over fifteen feet long, the creature looked like a fucking massive...

"Wyrm," Frank said, his voice laced with absolute terror.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone, here's chapter 3. It's a bit later than I would've liked, but... real life. What can you do?
Anyways, thank you all for getting this to the feature box. I won't lie, its been awesome seeing something I wrote get featured, and I only have you guys to thank for that, so... thanks again. Yeah.

Special thanks to Alondro, Garbo802, and Whitespace Only for their interesting discussion on the last page, and to Maelstrom and Vates Despero for pointing out errors in the last chapter. Also, thanks to the band Tyr, because they're fucking awesome and I wrote this chapter while listening to their songs.