• Published 30th Mar 2014
  • 12,588 Views, 377 Comments

Why Am I A Bug? - DJ TR33



A human wakes up in Chrysalis' body shortly after the Changeling Invasion. She's not happy.

  • ...
36
 377
 12,588

Chapter 4: Wyrm Problems

Chapter 4: Wyrm Problems

by DJ TR33

"Jesus fuck, run for you lives!" I screamed, turning to do exactly that. Unfortunately, my mastery of running was not quite complete. To be honest, my skill in basic locomotion was pretty much non-existent. As a result, I faceplanted almost immediately.

Frank seemed to be having similar issues, albeit for a different reason. As soon as he saw the worm, he'd tried to leap into the air, but his bent wing prevented him from getting very far. He crashed down next to me, barely managing to stay upright despite the force of the impact. As his legs started to buckle, I saw green flame quickly flare up around him, his disguise vanishing.

Meanwhile, I was desperately trying to stand up, flailing my legs beneath me in an effort to push myself upright. After a few moments, I succeeded, and was able to focus my attention on other things, like the giant worm thing that had just jumped out of the ground. As it traveled through the sand, it raised a small mound of sand above its position, reminding me of a cartoon. It probably would have been funny if the creature wasn't three times taller than me.

"My Queen, we need to escape," Frank said, grabbing my leg with his own. The black chitin contrasted sharply with the pink fur that had covered my leg, and I realized that I hadn't transformed back. Again acting on instinct, I released the magic, flames wreathing me and turning me back into a changeling. I knew I might be facing my death, but there was no way in hell I'd go out as a pretty pink pony.

Once I was back to being a bug Queen, I turned to Frank. "No fucking shit, Frank, but I can't exactly run, so what's plan B?"

"You can't run? Why don't you fly, then?" he asked. In other circumstances, I would have applauded him on his sass, but I had more pressing issues, like the thing that seemed to be trying to murder us.

"I don't fucking know how, okay?" I said, feeling myself start to hyperventilate.

"Then... what do we do?" Frank asked, looking at me. "What are your orders my Queen?" That's when I really started to panic. I mean, he'd been calling me 'Queen' the whole time, but this was the first time I'd gotten what it meant to have that title. Apparently, it meant being responsible when a huge-ass goddamn wyrm jumps out of the ground. If this was what being a Queen was, I wanted no part of it.

Then I noticed it had gotten quiet. Way, way, way too quiet. There should have been the sound of the sand kicked up by the wyrm's passage, but it was missing. For a moment, I hoped that the creature had given up and gone away. Then the sand started to shift beneath me.

"Oh fu--" I said as the creature erupted from the ground beneath my legs. The next thing I knew I was thrown away from the monster. I slammed into the ground, rolling a few times, before I came to a stop. Looking back, I saw the wyrm crash back into the ground. Above it, a dark figure sailed through the air, some flecks of green trailing behind it. My eyes widened as I realized what had happened. Frank had tackled me, sacrificing himself to save me.

As the wyrm entered the ground, I felt a strange sensation enter my body, coming across my body like the flame of a transformation. It was the cold, icy feel of complete and utter rage.

Now, I'm not really one to get angry. It's not that I don't feel things as strongly, I just don't think that anger is generally worth all the effort. Normally, the worst I get is mildly annoyed, or even frusterated, but not much is worth putting in more energy than that.

This wyrm seemed to be making itself the exception, though. I wasn't mad that it had attacked me, since I'm willing to take responsibility for myself. I wasn't even mad that it seemed to be trying to kill and eat me, since I was clearly its prey and I knew that that was just how the world works. No, I was mad that it had hurt Frank, who had done nothing but try to help me since I had woken up here, in this body. A creature-- no, a person that noble didn't deserve this as his reward.

Something changed in me then, and my mind seemed to clear of everything except for one thought, one overwhelming desire: kill the motherfucker that hurt Frank.

"All right, you flaccid asshole, let's see what you've got!" I cried out, watching the sand for signs of its activity. The sand went still once more as it dove, and I knew it was preparing to attack me again. I smiled grimly to myself. This time, the thing was biting off more than it could chew.

Once again, I felt the ground start shaking beneath me. I could feel the wyrm preparing to leap up, but I was ready for it this time. Just before it erupted beneath me, I leapt into the air, launching myself way above the emerging creature. I extended my wings, using them to stay in the air. At the same time, I could feel pressure build up behind my horn, similar to what I felt with the disguise but way more destructive.

If you had asked me how I was doing any of those things, I would have had no idea. Just a few seconds ago I'd been unable to run without face-planting in the horrible sandy earth. Now I was jumping and flying and generally going around like a total badass.

My best guess for what happened is that the rage helped focus my admittedly chaotic mind. When I stopped focusing on how I was doing it, my instincts seemed to provide enough direction by themselves. At that time, though, I didn't really give a shit how I was doing what I was. All I cared about was killing the motherfucker that thought it could mess with Frank.

I released the pressure from my horn, sending the energy out towards the wyrm in the shape of a green laser beam. It crashed into the creature at the top of its leap, knocking it down towards the ground. It hit with a tremendous thud, a four-inch hole burned straight though its body.

I landed on the ground next to it, my wings coming to a halt. Once again, I felt my horn charge up with energy, an even more destructive attack than before. The wyrm was squealing, a hideous pained sound coming from its mouth-hole. I grinned vindictively as the pressure built up behind my horn. It started to glow, green light coming off it and making the whole area look like a hipster had applied some kind of stupid filter to it.

The wyrm started squealing even louder and began to thrash around, trying to get away. At the same time, I knew the attack I'd been charging was ready.

"Listen up, you son of a bitch," I said, leveling my head with the creature's body. "Don't ever fuck with me or my friends."

I released the energy, and it slammed out from me in a green flash, coursing into the wyrm's body. Once more, green flames leapt up, but these weren't sissy illusion flames. These were hot enough that I could feel their heat a body length away, and they raced down the length of the wyrm, turning flesh and sinew into a black, glossy ash. A few flakes drifted towards me, and I stepped back.

That's when I realized I had just taken down a creature that was at least five times my size, and I had done it in under thirty seconds. That was more power than I had ever thought was possible, more power than even I would trust myself with. And, what was more, I had enjoyed doing it.

"That was fucking awesome," I said, smirking at the black ash. Sure, it scared me a bit, but it was way cooler than it was scary.

"Oh shit, Frank!" I said, suddenly remembering. My wings buzzed and I leapt into the air, flying over towards where my friend had crashed to the ground. Looking at him, I was glad to see that the cut wasn't as deep as I'd assumed. On one hand, he flow of green blood had already slowed to a trickle, and he seemed to be breathing regularly. On the other hand, he was completely unconscious, and I had no experience with first aid. Even if I had experience, I was pretty sure that I didn't know enough about bug creature anatomy to be of any help.

Obviously, he needed help, but I had no idea where to go. Actually... that wasn't entirely right. I looked up, towards the large structure that lay a few miles away. Something about it seemed to call to me, and I instinctively knew it was my best option for getting Frank help. And since my instincts had just let me disintegrate a giant murderbeast, I felt pretty safe trusting them.

I picked up Frank with my front hoof, awkwardly maneuvering him on to my back. When he was safely situated, or as good as I could get to it, I buzzed my wings, launching myself into the air.

"Holy fuck, Frank, ever thinking about laying off the love?" I muttered as I struggled with the weight of the changeling. Maybe my body was just out of shape, but flying with another creature was seriously fucking hard.

Cursing under my breath, I set off towards the giant hill in the middle of the desert with the closest thing I had to a friend slowly bleeding out on my back.

Author's Note:

Woo, I made it past the horrible chapter 3! I think that's actually a first for me. For whatever reason, I can get to chapter 3, but chapter 4 is just a bitch to write.

In other news, I have no excuse for this taking so long, except that school is hard and procrastination is easy. I'd apologize, but my inner Chrys is telling me that apathy is the best option. Once again, thanks to everyone for their support, and I'll try (only try, mind you) to get the next chapter out faster than I did this one.

Thanks!