• Published 27th Jan 2014
  • 20,168 Views, 1,846 Comments

Just Before the Dawn - Drefsab



In a time shortly after Luna's banishment, Celestia finds herself on the brink of war with a rival nation. Hoping to avert disaster, she seeks out someone very special: Tercio Krosus. A soldier, a confidant, and the only living human in Equestria.

  • ...
69
 1,846
 20,168
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
PreviousChapters
Comments ( 34 )

Hello everyone. As it turns out, I'm still here! I know it's been a while, but bear with me here.

As you may or may not know, I've started college classes recently. This has, needless to say, cut into my free time, as the time that I usually write -- during slow nights at work -- has been preoccupied with homework and studying. It's something that I should have done a long time ago, but at least I finally did it. Better late than never, eh?
I hope this longer chapter will at least partially make up for the delay. I meant to have it out before I started classes, but life got in the way, as it tends to, and I ended up not feeling particularly creative for a while. Thankfully things are more or less under control now, which means that I've gone back to enjoying my time spent writing...when I get the time to do so, anyway.

In all likelihood, the next chapter will be the last one. Yes, we're finally there after so many years. Or we will be, rather. I don't want to split things further beyond this point, which means that the final confrontations you've all been waiting so patiently for will play out at last. I can only hope that I do so in a way that does justice to the time and effort you've spent reading this not-so-little slice of pony.
After the final chapter I intend to put out an epilogue, and then we'll be done completely.

Thanks for sticking around. We'll put a cap on all this soon enough.

:heart: Dref

Edit: I just realized I've been on this site for *six years* now. Damn. Time sure flies.

9478061
I may have not been here since the beginning, but this is definitely a story I'm honored to stand by as it comes to an end. I'm looking forward to it. Praetoria Aeternum!

Comment posted by Luna Aeterna Solutae deleted Feb 26th, 2019

9478061
Hi Dref. Just wanted to say that I was a big fan of "Sophistication and Betrayal". So when you started another long human in equestria fic I stuck it to the top of my queue and decided to wait till it was complete to read it. Fast forward to 5 year later, I am so glad you have stuck with this story all these years, and i cant wait to read it!

After 5 years of waiting, the anticipation has built to epic proportions!

9478329
Wow, that's some dedication. Glad to have you back! Hope you enjoy it.

JMP

Well, I suppose I'll see next chapter what Elinwynn wants in the library. And how many Praetorians survive the push. This has been an epic journey, and I'm excited for its conclusion

I'm so glad to see this story through. It's been a wild ride and has certainly been one of my favorites.
I can't wait to see what happens, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit sad at the same time.
Wishing you luck with classes as well!

Polaris is going to die after this is over, isn't he? Dark magic like this is powerful, but it comes with a terrible cost. Hope his plan is worth his life.

_____*Takes a deep breath.* SINDRRIIIIIIII!

God I love this story. Good thing I've been caught up for a while. The battle is long and detailed. It'd be hard to take in one sitting.

It has been 4 years since I stopped coming here for one reason or another. But after binging around 40 chapters of this, I just can’t wait for the next one

Any word on the conclusion? It's been awhile since the last chapter and I'm dying to see this completed!

9960752
MAGIC! DON'T QUESTION IT!
Also hope the story picks back up. It is always sad to see long stories die even though I understand that writing them is completely discretionary.

Well about a year since its last update. Pretty much dead at this point I think.

Been looking for this all day! Kinda shocked it hasnt been updated in a lil over a year now...
Welp time to re-read this bad boy!:twilightsmile:

On it goes to my dead or on hiatus list.

Comment posted by Sniderman deleted Jun 30th, 2021

Well his last time online here was March 30th. I just hope he is ok and doing well, whereever he is.

9478061
However long we must wait for the final installment of this masterpiece of writing and character work it will be worth it. Wherever you are hopefully life is treating you well and wherever you go your beloved fans will always be there cheering you on.

I really hope this gets an update i finally found it again and caught up with everything i hope the author is alright and hopefully continues this masterpiece this story has been my absolute favorite since i read the first chapter

I felt like we were nearing the ending :fluttercry: I really hope the author comes back... One of my favorite war fics on the site.

Just read through this in four days.. yes I've lost much sleep.

Holy shit.

This is a mastercrafted story, every twist and turn bringing emotion to bear, I came for the adventure and romance, and was immediately enraptured by the depth and finess of the world, every character felt to be a true form of life, be it Tercio, or any number of characters introduced for but a scant few sentences. I wish every story I read to be this captivating, for I fear I've been spoiled. I could hardly pick up the next book in the series I've been reading through without feeling I was cheating myself out of this one.

I have only one real complaint, it's that Celestia is presented as a powerful goddess among a roman-esque culture and military, yet her power seems so frail at best with no explanation. It certainly does not detract from the story as a whole, but it does diminish her character slightly.

The romance itself is wholly fitting, but seems to fall along the wayside to the greater plot, considering it is not the main focus, is fine. But I fear I have less invested in Tercio and Celestias love than I do even in Gilias's lost love and own mental burnout. A small disappointment, but still there.

I think my favorite 'side' character would have to be Nocturne, you made me feel sorrow and pride in a blade, shame it was lost to Tercios' limelight. A good ending for a good weapon.

I am glad to have read this far, and dearly hope to read more soon, I'm well aware of the burnout and writers block, indecision or even loss of interest- all of which I hope to not be the case, one may only lay eyes upon my Google docs to know my pains. If these are the case I'd understand fully, if not sadly, if I do not see more. I hold hope yet, however. :twilightsmile:

I could discuss this more, but I believe I'm going to sit on this for a week or so and give it a re-read, pacing myself so I can more readily enjoy the nuances available here.

*Sigh* another great story that will never be finished.

You hate to see such a wonderful story die right before the end.

The latest war reminded me of this story

It took me entirely too long to get around to finally reading this chapter, but it was good. Don't know what's going on with you, but hopefully it won't take you as long to get back with a new chapter as it did for me to read this one.

10834717

I have only one real complaint, it's that Celestia is presented as a powerful goddess among a roman-esque culture and military, yet her power seems so frail at best with no explanation. It certainly does not detract from the story as a whole, but it does diminish her character slightly.

It's been some time since I read this story, so I may naturally be fuzzy on the details. But, IIRC, Celestia has been hit with a pretty nasty combination of legitimate doubts and careful manipulation on Elinwynn's part that's left her unsure of herself. Kind of hard to stomp someone out like their name is "Fire" when you're not sure if you should be stomping at all.

An incredible story an incredible cliffhanger I hope to see this story finished one day I guess until then I’ll have to let my imagination run free.

He hasn't been online in two years ya'll. This story is done.

beware to any new readers, this masterpiece hasn't been updated in years. It's dead.

11608355
They told me the fic was dead. BUT I DIDN’T LISTEN!!

Login or register to comment