• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 7,610 Views, 320 Comments

No Less Than Perfect - Sparx



Sappy, lovey dovey, Sparity Romance story

  • ...
16
 320
 7,610

An End for His Story

"Are you alright grandpa?" Spike's attention was grabbed by a young pony, tugging at his wing. He looked down at the tiny creature, barely the size of his pinkie. He smiled down at her, and let his claw down as a platform for the little one to stand on.

"Of course I am, little one." His voice was low, slow, and raspy. He was very old now, well beyond where he had expected time to take him. Today marked his one million and first birthday. This age was unheard of among dragons, even the legendary Nortune the Black had lived to one million. "I was merely thinking...remembering your ancestors and my descendants. We've had quite a legacy."

Spike slowly moved across the stony floor of his cave, towards the entrance, looking down the mountain he had settled down in, able to survey the entirety of Ponyville. The mountain held sentimental value for him, as it was the mountain where he and Rarity had fallen, as Spike attempted to make his confession. He brought everything he held of value with him to this cavern that he had clawed out himself. He thought it made a great place to watch his family grow.

"You know...your grandpa has been around for a long long time, and he's seen many amazing things, but the ones like you, little one, are probably the most amazing thing I've ever seen." Spike said. "You see Ponyville down there?" He held her out over the mountain, up high, where she could take in the massive city in it's entirety.

"Of course I do grandpa."

"Would you believe me if I told you it used to be a lot smaller?" The young filly turned back to Spike with a confused look. "It's true! In fact, I came here when I was about your age. I was the Twilight Sparkle's number one assistant."

The little unicorn's jaw dropped. "No way!" She said, bouncing excitedly in Spike's palm.

"It's true. She was the one who hatched me!" Spike gave a chuckle. "She was hardly a 'brilliant wizard' when she started out...but she was very impressive. A little crazy, but brilliant. I remember hearing about her breakthrough the very day it happened. The True Magic of Friendship. A brilliant read, and a remarkable tool in unifying the races of Equestria."

"Unifying?" The filly asked.

"That's right." Spike smiled. "Equestria wasn't as it is nowadays. Ponies were the only ones to live under Celestia's rule." Spike had seen though, that the world was willing to change, and alliances and friendships were made as the years passed by. He had aided in bringing the dragons and ponies together, and it didn't take long for the griffons to join under Willow's guidance. Eventually, the offers of peace and friendship reached to farther corners of the world. The Diamond Dogs were the next to join in on the family, and soon followed the Minotaurs. Stories from the deserts told tales that ponies had made peaceful contact with the highly intelligent Sphinx race in the years to come, and to the east were tales of the Tanuki and Kitsune throwing themselves into this large melting pot. But one that Spike was truly surprised to see, was when the changelings slowly began to be welcomed into Equestria. It took many long years, and intolerance still rang in various parts of the world, but it was happening, just as Celestia had dreamed

It always amazed Spike when he would see another group of creatures work to bring peace to the land. Even when Celestia and Luna had contracted him to act as diplomat to help, he never imagined he would see this much progress in his lifetime. Yes, there was still anger and hostility at points, but Spike and the princesses would always intervene and smooth out the process. There were still many more creatures in the world, but Spike was confident that Celestia's dream was possible.

"You remembering again grandpa Spike?" The young unicorn piped up, catching Spike staring into space again.

"Yes...I do that a lot nowadays." He smiled. "I have a lot of remembering to do if I'm gonna remember all the stories I have to tell them."

"Tell who?"

Spike let out a long sigh. "My oldest friends...My family."

"I thought mama and papa and I were your family." The filly raised an eyebrow high.

"Of course you are young one. I mean my original family. The ones who I grew up with and grew up with me. I've had a truly amazing and tremendous family. Much bigger than most folk could ever keep track of. And I remember each and every one of them." Spike then returned inside the cave, and made his way to a massive tome in the back of the chamber, spread open to it's final page with a large quill resting in a bottle of what little ink it held left. Spike then let the unicorn onto his shoulder so that she might watch, as he turned the pages. Eventually he stopped on a page with the word 'Fluttershy' written in big, thick letters at the very top. "The former Element of Kindness, and the wife of Big Macintosh. I remember how positively adorable she struck me to be. Her love for animals was paralleled only to the love she had for her friends. She brought about great help for the Apple Family supporting five of her own foals who grew to help their father run the orchard, not to mention the fact that they expanded the farm as a natural preserve for wildlife, both magical and natural."

"You knew her too grandpa?" The filly asked in amazement.

"I did indeed. I knew all of the former elements of harmony...but the originals were my dearest friends." Spike turned a few more pages until he came to one titled 'Rainbow Dash.' "The first Element of Loyalty, and nopony wore the title better. Sure she was a little self-centered when we first met, but they all had their weaknesses. To this day, nobody has been able to break her speed record, pony or otherwise. It was her final hurrah before she had to quit competitive flying, and it still holds today. In total, there have been four ponies to ever manage a sonic rainboom, but she was the first. She was strong, and proud, but as she grew older, she became a brilliant coach and an even better partner to the one she loved."

"Applejack! Right grandpa?" The unicorn responded happily.

Spike let out a low laugh that caused some of the loose scales on his throat to wobble. "That's right." He turned the page and there was her name; 'Applejack.' "Truly, many knew her as the wisest of us. She was stubborn, I won't lie about that, but she was always a pleasure to have around, and always willing to help. Even after Bic Macintosh's children began working the farm, Applejack was working behind the scenes to make sure it all ran smoothly, taking after her own Granny Smith. She made Sweet Apple Acres into what it is today, and provided food all across Equestria. I've yet to meet anyone who worked harder than her. She made excellent use of the pegasi that were brought into her family, allowing her to harvest the orchards quicker and plant the crops faster." Spike brought his tail winding over towards a barrel in the corner of the cavern and wrapped it around an apple, bringing it to his young guest. She graciously accepted the fruit and took a bite out of it. "Best apples you'll ever taste."

Spike returned to the book, flipping through the pages again until he came to the page for 'Twilight Sparkle.' "Element of Magic, the center and leader of the first Elements of Harmony. She was part sister and another part mother to me. We would argue, and fight like any siblings, but she also raised me and cared for me. We took care of one another and went through most everything together. I was nervous when I left her, I wondered how she was going to fare without me. But she did well, and eventually became one of the greatest unicorns to exist, surpassing the knowledge and skill of Starswirl. She kept the best company I could ever think of, with the greatest friends to have lived. She studied directly under the princess, and even found somepony to speak to her on her own level about magical studies."

"The Great and Powerful Trixie!" The filly pronounced, throwing her front hooves into the air in a cheer.

"Indeed, and she let everypony know it." Spike laughed. "But, when she and Twilight met up in their adult years, they came to know one another, and she took a turn for the better. She became just as well known as Twilight, if not more. I think all she ever really wanted was to have ponies enjoy having her around. Surely enough, they came to absolutely adore her when she began putting her talents towards making other ponies shine. Ponies from all around Equestria came looking for Trixie to set up effects and illusions to add to their own performances."

Spike then flipped through ore pages. The next name that he stopped on was 'Pinkie Pie.' "Laughter...there was so much more to her than that though. She was joy itself. Only under the most extreme of circumstances was she never seen smiling. I swear, when I heard she was settling down, I could hardly believe it. She was quite knowledgeable too! She saved the town from a parasprite attack all by herself, and always seemed to know how to solve the most strange and obscure problems we ever came across in her own Pinkie Pie way. She was a great source of wisdom and joy for me, and one of my greatest friends, and happened to be the mother of the first hippogriff when she found a strapping young gryphon who had been eyeing her. She was an individual who made the world better, simply by being in it, with a laugh so contagious, she could bring the entire town to their knees, out of breath."

Spike continued to flip through pages, telling the little filly on his shoulder the stories of the friends he had met. How the Cutie Mark Crusaders went on and made their organization into something that foals around the world could get into, helping them reach self discovery through camps and classes to help stop bullying towards blank flanks. He told her about every member of his family that joined the Wonderbolts, starting with Nail, and the others who went on to become brilliant scholars like Mythic. He recounted the various adventures he and the Elements of Harmony went on, from their stopping Nightmare Moon and Discord, to how he helped to save the Crystal Empire. He let her know how Shining Armor and Princess Cadence were the first ones to stand up for a changeling who was discovered in his village, and how his friend Willow was able to beat Rainbow Dash in a race through the mountains.

Spike painted images of the stories as he told the in the air with illusions he cast from his claws, showing the filly some of his favorite moments and experiences in life. He went on to tell her about the families his friends had left to grow, and what they were doing. He remembered all the friends he had grown to know and see leave through his long life, and how Celestia, Luna, and even Discord had been there to watch the world grow with him.

Then Spike came to a page that made him stop. He placed his claw back to his heart. Halved and given as a gift in his youth. "Then there was her. Generosity. I fell for her at first glance. I was always eager to help her, a vision of beauty itself. We had more adventures together than with anybody else. I gave her my heart, and she gave me hers. We felt what the other felt, and loved deeply. She was dedicated, focused, and very very passionate. She was very professional, and yet incredibly fun. We moved into a cave under Canterlot together where we raised our children. She was a trooper...worked behind that counter until she couldn't work anymore. And I mean that quite literally. She started Carousel Boutique with her own hooves, and I know she'd be glad to know that your mother and father are taking good care of it." Spike smiled, feeling a warmth fill him. "The last of the six to leave, and the one that hurt the most. But I continued. And I watched our family and friends grow. Because she'd want to know how everything was going." A single chuckle escaped his old lungs. "She'd be disappointed if I didn't take care of things while she was gone. And she'd let me know it too!"

The little filly looked down at the pages of the book. "Hey grandpa... This chapter is longer than the others."

"Yes...it is...It holds my dearest memories." Spike explained. "She was the one I knew most about, and the one I thought of every day, reliving those happy memories. So I wrote about her...every day."

"But grandpa, isn't that my name?" Spike turned his head to look to the little unicorn filly. She was a snowy white, with a brilliant purple mane and tail, straight and long. He chuckled.

"It is indeed, Rarity. You were named after her, and I know she would love you just as much as I do. It's a name she'd be proud to see given to you." Spike once again held out his claw for the young Rarity to step onto, and brought her to the ground. "Now, your parents should be here soon. Tell them I said hello...and goodbye. I'll see you all again, but not for a while."

"Where are you going grandpa?"

Spike brought his nose down to level with young Rarity. "To see some old friends of mine, little one. They've been waiting for me very patiently, and I think I've kept them waiting long enough. I have to share my stories with them too, after all. But know that I will always love you, no matter where we are, or what separates us."

Rarity smiled at Spike, and rubbed her face against his nose affectionately. "I love you too grandpa." She then turned and started running toward the cave entrance. She stopped to turn at the last moment. "And happy birthday! Thank you for telling me those stories!" She once again turned, and made her way out of the room.

Spike smiled after her, and returned to the book, picking up the quill, and turning to the back page, on the final chapter only labeled as 'Spike.' This dragon, lived a life of love and joy, brought to him by the most amazing of friends, and the most loving of family. He lived adventure, and romance. And as his life came to a close, he had to admit, he wouldn't have changed a thing. His life was no less than perfection. He then returned the quill to it's pot, empty of ink, and closed the tome. The cover was adorned with large violet letters, spelling out the title, No Less Than Perfect: The Lives and Stories of Equestria's Finest. At the top of the book, two fire rubies were embedded into the cover.

Spike mad his way to the entrance of the cave. Rarity and her family had already left, but he was looking for someone else. In the sky, he focused his gaze. He smiled, as the vision of his friends standing together appeared before him, just under the sun. They all looked just as they had when he first met them in Ponyville, hundreds of thousands of years ago. Rarity, was standing there in the front, with Mythic and Nail by her side. "I've missed you all dearly. I've had my fun, and found my stories...but I'd like to come home now." His friends all nodded their heads, and Spike smiled, he could feel himself being lifted, his body returning to what it was in his prime. He stood among them, in front of his love.

"Welcome back, Spike." Rarity said.

He simply smiled, and hugged her, tears streaming down his face. "I've waited to do this for so long." He then pulled his head back and met her eyes, leaning in and giving her as big a kiss as he could manage. "I have so much to tell you..."

Author's Note:

Well gang, that's that. I hope you've enjoyed this, and that it warmed your heart if you let it. It's been a long one, and I'm happy I could finally get it done. I now leave you with this piece, that kept bringing inspiration back over and over again for this one.

Comments ( 58 )

Nice end to the story :twilightsmile:

its not a sad end at all but it had me shed many tears.

A million...seems a little excessive but a wonderful, touching ending regardless.

3450703
Aye, was more of an attempt to draw a parallel to Nortune. :derpytongue2: :twilightblush:

>A million years of technological advancements.
>Still use quills.

I noticed quite a few little errors, I'd suggest doing a quick read over to fix them.

Yep it's official, all of my feels just died.......all two of them.........:pinkiesad2:

3451201
Isn't it great to have opinions? :trollestia:

3451239
>Implying this isn't a fantasy setting :trixieshiftleft:
>Implying that this isn't merely your opinion :trixieshiftright:

You know, I think I'll keep it as it is thank you.

The ending was sooo beautiful T-T I just had to give a moment of silence and put my hat down. The story was magnificently beautiful.


When I read the story, it feels like a movie, ya know? I loved it and I wanted to express how I felt about this story but words cannot simply describe the story.

Floop :3

Sincerely,
Lime Greensharde'

Well that ending was a downer.

3450706
Yeah, I can easily see Spike deciding he just has to break the record first. :moustache:

3451509
He never decided. We can never decide how long we live. :trixieshiftright:

A million years, with the names of the Element Bearers still common knowledge? The time scale is a little silly and kind of hurts the story.

3453085
History is recorded, and we have figures that have lived that long and preserved their names.

Celestia, Spike, Luna, Discord.

I hardly see how their names would be forgotten. :unsuresweetie:

3451330 I dunno, you'd expect some stuff to change in a million years :P

3453541
Most often in fantasy stories, if magic exists, it will become the main focus, and progress will be put towards developing better spells and more efficient magic. Technology will come either second or third.

Besides, this is one old dragon in a cave. We never saw outside of his old fashioned ways. Who's to say there weren't space cars flying down below in Ponyville. :rainbowkiss:

3451516
Your description certainly made it seem like a conscious choice, not an involuntary one. And there are plenty of stories that present that as one form of immortality: living until you wish to do otherwise.

3454106
Never though was immortality mentioned. It may have seemed as if he made a decision, but it can also be interpreted as him simply knowing his time and accepting it willingly. Ultimately though, when it comes to any form of media, the audience are the ones who interpret the meaning. IF that is what you got from it, that's fine, but as the one who wrote it, I tell you that it was no conscious decision, as if it were, he would have ended himself a lot earlier. :ajbemused:

My feels, my liquid pride and my heart strings.

Well done you beautiful bastard, just well done.

This was excellent. I do plan on reading this again eventually. And the song you've provided us with does fit perfectly for this story of yours, and makes me feel as if I'm in an epic story. Exquisite job my friend, I salute you.

Must not cry must not cry must not cry must not cry.....*sniff* :applecry:

Just wrapped this all up at about 3am... MAH FEELS! I can't go to sleep now, this has made me think about my life and such. :pinkiesad2:
(I need to be up in 6 hours too)

:raritycry::fluttercry::applecry::pinkiesad2: i dont know if i can add anymore. whats there to say, it was beautiful. i loved this. this was amazing. the saddest thing i have ever read in my life

Awesome story, even if you did put a couple of meh shippings in there. :raritywink:

3483038
They aren't the main focus. And get used to them, they're ones that I like..

3484199

Somebody's defensive.

No need to get mad, we all know not every shipping can be as good as the following (in no particular order):

AppleSpike
SpikeDash
FlutterSpike
TwiSpike
PinkieSpike
Spikelestia
Spuna
SpikeTrixie
SpikeDerpy
ScootaSpike
SpikeBelle
SpikeBloom

:D

3484219
I'm not defensive...Just annoyed. I don't honestly care how meh people think my ships are, voicing that won't change my opinion, especially when I honestly believe that there are much worse and I don't bother voicing my own opinion about it unless asked to. :ajbemused:

I'm not mad, and sorry if it seemed that way. Just kinda 'ugh' whenever I read something like that. :ajsleepy:

You sail some pretty interesting ships, my friend. :ajsmug:

3484238

I wouldn't expect you to change your stories. They're your stories. Even if I don't like them, that doesn't mean that they can't be in an awesome story. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was trying to tell you to change anything. I was just giving my opinion about things.

Heck, I really kind of meant it more like "OMG THAT STORY WAS SO AWESOME" because it was. Kind of in the "That was an awesome roller coaster ride, even if I did get head butted by the guy behind me when the ride ended" sort of comment. And yes, that did happen to me.

Which ones would you say are interesting? :ajsmug:

3484268
Aye, I know, and I thank you for the compliment. I just get tired every now and again. Like an old man. Nothing personal. :pinkiesad2:

I think more along the fact that every one of them involves Spike. :moustache:

3484293

Of course they do, Spike is best ... errr .... dragon-pony?

Also, I was wondering if you might find a few of them more interesting than the other. Somebody already asked me to write a TwiSpike. And since I'm going to unceremoniously be out of school within about 5 weeks I have time.

3484319
I'll admit that Spuna is a new one to me.

3484327

Time to go all planning phase on it. Eventually I'll get something up and link you with it.

3484368
Sounds interesting.

I feel like an ass for passing this by since it came out. This ending of a story is one of the best to a MLP fiction that I have read up to date. I wish that I joined when this site came out so I could meet the best of the best, but season 4 starts tomorrow. Anyway that was rambling, I did enjoy the ending I had tears swell up, it was close and I congradulate you.:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

3525382
Much thanks! Took me a while to finish this one, glad you like it. Also, Season Four hype is here. Up all night tonight for me.

3536035 Well Superman has always been a character to represent an almost unattainable level of good, that's been his gig since his inception. Superman is space Jesus the things he wants to do aren't really attainable they are just something to aspire to.

3536163
Exactly. It's an unobtainable dream, to be sure, but it's one worth fighting for, trying to achieve. In a land like Equestria where good and peace are a norm, it seems more likely. Not to mention that Celestia is basically the closest thing we have to Superpony. She has represented harmony and good as well, capable of things most ponies aren't, taken down threats that only she was able to. Yes, in our world, I'm pretty damn sure that something like this is very much near impossible, but in Equestria, it seems more plausible. Perhaps Celestia will never see this happen, but that's no excuse to stop trying. She even said that she had begun to lose faith in the idea for a moment.

But I guess this argument is mostly based on philosophy and the possibility of peace in a fictional world, there would be no "correct" answer in that case. But as a person who finds impossible goals like this one admirable, and even desirable, that's where I'm coming from.

3536194 Well given Celestia's track record so far in the show I'd say shes pretty far from Superpony, but that's just me being silly. I get where your coming from and I'm on the other side of the field with Tolkien and Martin and that lot. There is no absolute good or absolute evil rather a balance between the two in the souls of all living things that keeps everything in order.


Except for the Macho Man Randy Savage, Randy was a paragon of goodness and he died so the world might not face the rapture.

3536203
It's a tad more complicated than that. I don't really believe in evil, and see "good" more as what's right, not this overall green powerful force. I still think that folk should work for good however, as it's synonymous for healthy, superior, etc. for a reason.

And yes, let us remember out lord and savior, Macho Man for the sacrifice he made so that we all may go on, stalling the horsemen so that we may stay here today!

3603405
You honor me with your thanks friend. I'm glad I could entertain you. :twilightsmile:

3618833
I've seen another duo of Kirin before...or at least I think they were a duo, I'm not really sure.

Anyway, I'm glad you're enjoying the story, and hope you continue to do so.

this is the fifteenth time ive read this fic! and each time ive loved it more then the last time! the title of this fic couldnt be more accuret! this fic is truly no less then perfect! :pinkiehappy: thank you for writing this, and sharing it with us! its so amazing!

3996098
Fifteen?! Wow. Never knew someone would like it so much, but I'm glad you do.

27th and still going!!! Man, the feels! I love this story so much! Its amazing and beautiful! Gaaa... my heart and dem feels... give me a moment, I might cry again! Thank you! Thank you thank you thank you! I can not say it enough! I love this story

Wowzer ! One great story 10/10 on the scale of feel, :pinkiehappy::rainbowlaugh::twilightblush::trollestia::raritywink::yay:

Now love and hate you...so much feels. But I knew how this was going to end. And for the longest time I couldn't read this chapter. I finally finished it now, and you tugged on my heart strings roughly... it was a wonderful journey you took me on...I wished it hadn't ended, but every thing must come to an end. I hope my fic will be close to your skill when I'm finished.

5479181
It's a story I just wrote because I wanted to see it and everything in there was there to entertain me. That's kinda how I write, and if I don't enjoy it, I don't write it, because if I can't, I won't expect anyone else to. Though this was admittedly more of a story that I just put what I wanted to see in it with Sparity at the center, Spike kind of in the lead of it all. Any ships in there that weren't necessary were there because I wanted them in there and some other people will enjoy it, though admittedly there will also be whiners but there are with anything that's been created. As for Pinkie Pie, Zecora doesn't exactly hold a monopoly on rhyming, and I've always seen Pinkie Pie as a bit of a sage herself, wise in her own ways. I hate the interpretations of her that have her being zany and wacky for no fuckin' reason whatsoever, I don't see her as a raving madpony, just someone with a different way of seeing things, and there's some wisdom in that. Yes the million years thing is over extravagant perhaps, but a lot in this story is and if that's the main gripe people are bringing up, then I'm not too concerned about it. Besides...dragons. The story is a product of me being mostly emotional and thinking with a less logical part of my brain, an unload and making myself happy, and I'm glad that it makes others happy as well. Most things I write nowadays are better thought out and focused (I tell myself), and I now have an editor helping out, so spelling and grammar mistakes get another set of eyes.

Glad you liked it though, hope your friends enjoy too.

This made me cry.

my heart burst when reading the chapter and I cried. but this was an amazing fic and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I love what you did here and I wish there were more writers like you. you are awesome for this fic. I'm just sad that it ended.

Login or register to comment