• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 7,569 Views, 320 Comments

No Less Than Perfect - Sparx



Sappy, lovey dovey, Sparity Romance story

  • ...
16
 320
 7,569

Bonus: The Tale of Nortune the Black

Long ago, on a mountain taller than the sky itself, the terrible tyrant known as Nortune the Black slept within. The tyrannical monster was proud of himself, for over the years, he had amassed the gold and treasures of kingdoms and empires, hollowing out the very core of his mountain with the corrosive bile of his breath. Living many lifetimes that you and I may share, the beast became the sole owner of the largest dragon hoard in existence. He had garnered the respect of his fellow dragons, and won the title Nortune of Fortune among them. His grand power and fearsome skill turned those that would attempt to take his treasures, fleeing in terror and agony.

On this particular day however, the fates wanted to test this mighty lord. For in the village just below the mountain, a young gryphon rogue, taking up the name of Billow was plotting her greatest heist yet. Billow was at odds with the goddess of the gryphons, the two were in constant competition with one another. Billow had been looking to retire, but not before she won one last game against her rival. She had heard of the mighty black dragon that slept above her village, and admired him as a fellow treasure hunter. The goddess had offhandedly mentioned how a creature so brutish and hateful, would never know the pleasures of love and compassion, that a beast such as himself was made to live in solitude.

"Well I believe you are wrong!" Billow did cry with confidence in her voice. "Grant me merely the means to attract this beast's attention, and I will show you that a monster can love. My final theft will be his heart."

The immortal laughed at this proposal, but she accepted. She granted her rival a necklace, the finest made in the gryphon kingdoms, knowing that no dragon would be able to resist. Billow gave thanks and took flight.

The black dragon stirred, awakening to the afternoon sun. As he gazed upon his mountain full of baubles and trinkets, he gave a hearty laugh to the sky. "I am Nortune the Black! All will fear and respect me, for there is no creature, dragon or otherwise that is as rich as I, and there is no treasure I cannot take!" As if the world had heard, a gryphon maiden flew but a few feet from the entrance to the beast's home and hoard. In his gaze, the dragon managed to spot the jewelery adorned across her neck. With as much treasure and fortune as he had acquired in all these years, he had yet to see a piece as elegant and fine as that one. The beast vowed to take it for himself. Now he could easily destroy the creature and lift the piece from her corpse, a quick blast of his corrosive spit would make deal with her quick enough, perhaps he would cast an affliction from which there was no cure and wipe out the rest of the town, or perhaps he'd get his hands dirty for the first time in years and simply smash her.

However, most of those methods were a bit simple, and Nortune was bored. He thought for a moment of a more entertaining method he could use. Seduction came to mind, and he gave a bellowing laugh. "If I may convince her to hand over the trinket of her own will, it would prove I am not only the wealthiest dragon, but the most clever as well." He thought of a form, and took it on quick. A black Feathered gryphon, as attractive as can be, with powerful features and a striking blaze in his eyes. Nortune, satisfied with his disguise, flew off in pursuit of the trinket.

Billow flew through the air, and as she predicted, it was only mere moments before she was joined by the most attractive gryphon she had ever seen. She welcomed him as he flew by her side, and admired her necklace. She asked the fellow his name and he merely returned with "I have none. You see, my dear, I am an orphan of our people."

"What a shame." She would say. "For any gryphon lass would adore having one such as you under her wing."

The dragon laughed silently to himself for being so clever, completely unaware his disguise was a waste on this gryphon. "But that is the very reason I come to you fair maiden. I seek a companion in this tragic life of mine, to be alone no more."

Billow merely gave the creature a smile, and told him he'd have to win her affections should she ever accept his in return. She took him back to her hut to talk. Months passed as she poured her life story to the dragon, tales of her constant wagers with her goddess and escapes from what seemed like certain death just to take another jewel. Nortune would return her tales with flattery and compliments, showering her with loving poems, soothing songs, and the kindest of words. Billow was aware that Nortune was famous for his silver tongue, for whatever treasures he hadn't stolen by force, he'd taken with his wit and words.

As Nortune worked closer to his goal, he began to observe a feeling of respect for this fellow treasure hunter, admiring the lengths she would go to for treasure. She had the lust of a dragon in her, a craving for treasure and shiny things, yet where their desires differed was what she targeted. While the black dragon would strive for massive quantities of silver, platinum and jewels, this gryphon was taking but one item at a time, often more valuable than the large quantity the dragon could amass.

Nearly a year had passed with the dragon posing as a gryphon, enticing the female with his voice and flattery. From the way she would hold herself against him, the way she smiled at him, he was sure it was time. "My most beautiful, Billow." he would say. "Surely by now you love me as much as I do love you. But I am unsure this is true. Should you be granting me a token of your love so that we may be happily in love together? Perhaps the necklace you enjoy so much."

Billow recognized the dragon making his move, and in return she made hers. "While it is true I feel deeply for you sera, I am afraid that my heart belongs to a legend, and no common gryphon. I have saved my heart since I was but a chick, for the creature who has proven himself to be the true master of my craft. Surely you cannot blame me for it, as I have saved my love for the black tyrant within the mountain. Were you only Nortune of Fortune, then I would love you."

The nameless gryphon was taken aback, had he known this earlier, he wouldn't have gone through so much trouble, though he would admit he had fun this past year. The black gryphon's beak curled into a wicked smile. "Lucky Billow, I be he!" He bellowed in a serpentine voice that shook the whole hut, green flames enveloping him as feathers became scales.

"Well, I must admit that you have surprised me." Billow lied. "But how am I to know that you truly are who you say? You might be any common dragon. Perhaps a youth from the swamps with only a hoard of bronze coins? If you truly are Nortune the Black, then you must prove yourself to be he."

"It shall be done." The dragon led her to the largest lake for miles. With his miraculous magic, the beast commanded the water to vanish, and the water obeyed. "Truly only a powerful dragon could perform such a feat." He insisted.

"Impressive, but the true Nortune could fill the lake. It is not uncommon for the black dragon race to corrupt and destroy water supplies. Replacing it however would be something only he could do." Billow would say.

"Too simple." The dragon grinned. And he commanded the water to rise, and the water obeyed. "Give us a greater challenge, Billow!"

The gryphon removed her necklace, the gift from her rival. "You have proven your power." She placed the token within the dragon's claw, confusing him. "If you want to prove you are the real, heartless Nortune, take this necklace and never return."

The dragon hesitated, for reasons he couldn't comprehend. He had his prize, he had won his game. So why did he feel as if he had suddenly lost everything? "Perhaps you aren't the true Nortune after all." The gryphon sighed. Reluctantly, the once proud tyrant flew off towards his mountain.

Billow watched the monster float off with her trinket, and heard a very familiar voice approach her. "You have lost our wager, young gryphon."

"You're wrong." Billow said simply with a talon over her heart. "I have his heart, and one day he'll come to take mine."

Days turned to weeks, weeks into months, but the young gryphon knew she was right. One day, she looked out the window of her hut and saw a familiar black gryphon, wearing a familiar necklace. She heard a knock at her door, and opened it, revealing the very figure she had seen.

The black gryphon held a talon to her heart. "I have come, for this."

Billow replied "Didn't I tell you never to come back?"

"I'm not the creature you believed you knew, that beast is dead. Perhaps you can make do with a replacement?"

"I believe that may be possible."

And they lived a life of love.

THE END

"Read it again Spikey..."

Author's Note:

Alright guys, I hope you enjoyed this bit. I felt I should get into this little legend I made up in a bit more detail, so I went ahead and did so. I just would like to know if you want to hear more from Billow and Nocturne, as there is still a story to tell here, if so I might make a one off telling what happened after the black dragon returned.