• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 7,609 Views, 320 Comments

No Less Than Perfect - Sparx



Sappy, lovey dovey, Sparity Romance story

  • ...
16
 320
 7,609

A Trip for Four

Time had passed once again in Equestria. Ten years since the twins were born, and they were more than eager to go on their vacation. It had been a while since they had been to Ponyville, but they loved it whenever they came around. Spike and Rarity walked down the middle of the road at one another's side with Mythic keeping in step next to her dad. Nail was fluttering above the three of them, attempting a few loops every now and again.

Spike looked down to his daughter. She had grown into quite a beautiful creature, holding the grace and poise of her mother, yet there was fire in her spirit that led to her taking after Spike, especially the sass he used to exhibit in his youth. Of course, as Rarity's daughter, her mane had a definable flow to it, giving a single curl in the style her mother loved to wear. Her tail however was that of a dragon's, swishing to and fro with her green scales on the underside, and violet spines lining it's white fur. Her legs ended in reptilian claws with long feathery fur giving her the appearance of sleeves. Her horn was a bit longer than it would be for a filly her age, and she was able to harness her magic a bit easier as well. And of course, the single fang she had been born with was poking out below her chin, and had become a sort of trademark of hers.

"Who are we going to go see first, daddy?" She asked, looking up to Spike with the amber pools in her eyes that had drawn the attention of the colts at her school.

"Well, we're going to go see the place your mom and I used to work before we moved to Canterlot. Your aunt Sweetie Belle made us promise to check in with her first." Spike explained. "Then I thought we'd stop by the library and see Twilight." The mention of Twilight brought a special sort of glow to the young filly's face. She had always been the intellectual of the family, her passion for gems and magic taking a large focus in her free time, something Twilight had always been able to share with her.

"Then can we go see Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash?" Nail inquired from above.

A low giggle escaped Rarity. "But of course, Nail." The colt gave out a whoop and went to perform a backwards loop, crashing into Spike's back and forcing his dad to the ground. Spike and Rarity gave out a laugh before Spike let himself up and offered a claw to bring Nail to his hooves.

"You're getting better, Sport. Though you're gonna wanna try that stuff up higher until you can maneuver tighter." He said encouragingly, resting a claw on his son's shoulder.

The young kirin gave a toothy grin. While Mythic came off as the intellectual and more mature of the two, Spike and Rarity were well aware that Nail was bound for a life of laughter and sport. From the moment the two had brought him home, Nail had been stretching his wings. He had a habit of crashing quite often as well, but he was a tough kid, and would always pull himself up and laugh about it, despite whatever bruises may be showing on his face. As his mother had said, he looked much more pony than dragon, the exceptions being his wings, eyes, and unlike his sister, he had frills on the side of his head like his father for ears. Despite his mother's best efforts, his mane and tail would lose their styling and end up in a sort of messy windswept look. As far as personality, the colt took after his mother in areas. He hated dirt and filth and mud, often hurrying to clean himself. The same went for his room and possessions, everything had it's place and he took pleasure in redecorating his room at least once a month. He also had a love for the sky that nearly paralleled that of Rainbow Dash, and as such often loved to go flying with her and Scootaloo whenever they were around.

After dusting himself off, nail continued along with his family, on hoof this time. As they strolled along the streets they saw many a pony along the way, and even the occasional griffin. The two races had been living together for quite a while after their witnessing of Spike and Rarity's ceremony. The kirin had even grown up with Willow telling them various tales from griffin folklore.

As the family approached the old Carousel Boutique, the children were taken aback at a sudden scream. "This is the worst, POSSIBLE, THING!!!!!" Spike and Rarity could only let out a bit of a laugh.

"I guess it runs in the family huh?" Spike said as they approached the door.

"Apparently it does." Rarity agreed. As they walked inside, they saw Applebloom and Sweetie Belle running around the boutique in a panic, various fabrics and ribbons flying all over the place. "Well then girls, I see that we've come across a bump today?" Spike simply watched with a smile as he saw his beloved undergo a sort of transformation. The kids had seen it happen before as well, but never as partners. Rarity levitated over a pair of her glasses, slipping them on, before she stepped up and gathered the two young mare's attention.

"Rarity! Thank Celestia you're here, Sis." Sweetie Belle said with a relieved sigh. Her voice had smoothed out over the years from her squeaking chirp-like tone to that of an elegant and trained singer's tone.

"Ah can agree with that sentiment. Would ya mind lendin' us a hoof here boss?" Applebloom chimed in, tripping over a glittering sheet of blue cloth.

"But of course, what appears to be the problem girls?" Rarity took her place behind the counter next to Sweetie and began looking over a nearby clipboard at the current orders.

"Coach had me put in an order for her next show, down in Appaloosa. I need three for her and one more for me. She wanted one of them to be sewn from the wool of a chimera." Sweetie Belle explained in a rush.

"Chimera wool? Truly Sapphire's appetite has only grown for fine fashion. But luckily, I have dealt with Sapphire Shores' demands before, and I won't be outdone this time." And with that, Rarity opened her saddlebag and brought forth what looked like a beautiful, fluffy, grey blanket. "If she only wants one outfit, this should do." Rarity turned back to Spike and the kids. "We can always get another one, Honey."

Spike merely smiled and waved her concern aside. "You're the only one who uses it, Rarity. If you're fine with it, so am I. We can hit up Jason's Golden Fleeces when we get back." With that, Rarity gave a smile and nod before turning back and started giving orders to Applebloom and Sweetie Belle. Spike always admired her when she got serious. It was a passion in her that she only showed during moments that she became enthralled in her work.

After shouting a few quick orders to Applebloom and Sweetie, Rarity turned back to Spike and her children. "I'm going to be only a moment darling, I swear. Would you be a dear and entertain the Mythic and Nail? Take them by Sugarcube Corner and get them some ice cream if you would, I'll meet you there when I've got these two set."

"What? But Rarity, we want ice cream too!" Sweetie Belle whined.

Rarity shot a harsh glare at her younger sister. "You want to perform with Sapphire Shores too, don't you? Well that isn't going to happen if you can't get these outfits done on time. And I would like if you wouldn't whine in front of the children. Honestly Sweetie Belle."

Spike let out a chuckle before he gathered Mythic and Nail. "C'mon guys, let's go say hello to Pinkie Pie."

"Yay! Pinkie Pie!" Both of the kids called out in unison. They dashed their way to the door with Spike walking behind them.

When Spike made his way to the door of Sugarcube Corner, the kirin were already hopping about, eager to make their way inside. He asked for them to take his side, and made a rap at the door, in a rhythm he remembered from years ago.

From inside the building the three of them heard a cheerful and peppy voice sing aloud. "Hey howdy hey! Spikey's here today!" The door flew open, revealing Pinkie Pie in the entrance. With hips wider than Spike remembered, she was wearing a frilly blue apron with the design of a cake right in the center. "It sure would be neat, if he came for a treat! So come take a seat, was travel hard on your feet?"

"Pinkie!" Mythic and Nail cheered to see her, smiles stretching from cheek to cheek.

"Mythic and Nail! Eeee! Fun! Do I get a prize for getting it right?" Pinkie returned their enthusiasm in spades, earning their laughter. She turned her attention back to Spike. "Spikey! What are you doing out there? The party is in here!"

Spike made a false frown and stuck out his bottom lip. He then turned his chin up, mockingly ignoring Pinkie.

"Oh! Of course! How silly of me. Woops!" Pinkie rose onto her back legs, spreading her forehooves wide open. Spike instantly dropped his charade and with a glowing smile, went in and accepted Pinkie's hug. "When Spikey returns, a big hug he has earned!" She let out a giggle as she returned to her hooves. "How could I forget my own rule? Definitely an oopsie on my part."

Spike's smile refused to leave his face. "Well, let's see this party you mentioned then, eh?"

"But of course! We were wondering what to do with this cake." As Pinkie Stepped aside, she revealed a large chocolate cake with white frosting dripping down the sides, with a pegasus colt and a unicorn filly piling on strawberries, pinapple slices and blueberries.

They turned their attention away from the cake as Spike and his kids made their way inside. "Well well, you two just get bigger every time I see you!" Spike called over.

"Well, maybe if you came by more often, Pumpkin--"

"--and Pound wouldn't look like giants!" The twins said, mocking the dragon with their smiles. "It's good to see you though Spike!" Pumpkin clapped her hooves together to brush off any fruit juice that may have gotten on her hooves. She then took off her apron and made her way over to Spike, giving him a hug.

Pound on the other hand stayed over by the cake, fluttering above it as he laid the finishing touches. "You've gotten a little wider yourself, big guy." He chuckled to himself.

Spike let out bit of a smile as he crossed his arms. "It's all muscle Pound. Gems don't have fat."

Pound flew over to the group and let himself land. "Fair point. What brought you around? I heard Sweetie and Bloom had first dibs on you and...hey where is Rarity anyway?"

"Yeah! It's not like Rarity to miss out on getting a big slice of Pinkie Pie!" Pinkie chuckled as she bounced in place.

"Mama's getting things in order, since Aunt Sweetie Belle has a show to do soon." Mythic said as she took her place by Pumpkin's side, the two of them exchanging smiles.

Spike nodded in agreement. "So she told me to come and say hi, maybe get a bit of ice cream for the twins!"

"Hey! That was our title first you know?" Pumpkin spoke up with a teasing tone.

Spike let out another laugh. "Anyway, she'll be here shortly."

"Welly well well, hows about we get some flavors for this favor?" Pinkie zipped away and seemed to be back in a second with a pencil and pad of paper in her mouth, taking them in her hooves, ready to take orders. "What'll it be?"

Nail seemed like he couldn't yell his answer out loud enough, his wings fluttering with excitement. "Orange, strawberry and banana! In a raspberry drizzle!"

"Could I get some mint and vanilla in a waffle bowl?" Mythic, in comparison to her brother, was more reserved. "And can I get a double scoop on the mint?"

Pinkie finished writing down the order and gave a wide smile. "Okey dokie then! Pumpkin. Pound. Let's get some service going!" She thrust her hoof in the air, bringing the cake twins to give out a cheer and make their way to the back of the store. "Now! Here will be your seats, and we can have cake when Rarity gets here!" Pinkie sat the kirin to a table with four seats. "I'm sure Pumpkin and Pound will want to catch up." Pinkie flashed a smile towards Spike. "I know that I want to catch up with your dad."

Spike merely shrugged and followed Pinkie to a table to seat two. After letting out a cute sigh, Pinkie adapted to the more relaxed side of her that only Spike knew. "So how's it going at home, big guy?"

"Things are going along pretty well." Spike returned. "Mythic is top of her class, as expected, and or course Nail's wings are getting larger and stronger. Kid's going to be a better flyer than myself."

Pinkie let loose a sly grin. "Think he'll ever be better than Dash?"

Spike shook the table they were sitting at with his laugh. "Ya know, I asked myself the same question, and I think I liked Rarity's theory on the matter. She says that, 'while Nail may never reach her speed, his eye for aesthetics will make him a stronger show pony.' Sounds pretty accurate to me. He's a lot like his mother."

Pinkie giggled. "Rarity's grace and Dash's dreams eh? He's gonna be quite the stallion one day. And what about Mythic? Any goals from that one?"

"Learning. Oh Celestia, that one cannot learn enough. It's a funny thing when your own kid starts beating you at your favorite game, and even knows more about dragon history and culture than me! That was like the only thing I actually enjoyed learning about when I lived in the library." Spike laughed even more. "I feel both proud an kinda dumb at the same time. I think she's already smarter than me."

A light giggle came from Pinkie again. There was a slight pause between the two of them, before Pinkie began again. "Y'know, I've been thinking about finding somepony myself."

Spike looked towards her with genuine intrigue upon his face. "Have you now? Party-Powered Pinkie thinking about settling down?"

Pinkie Pie threw out a hoof and gave Spike a bump on his shoulder, maintaining that relaxed grin. "Don't tease, Spikey. But yeah, I have been thinking about it. Think it's time that the party become exclusive to somepony special, y'know? Been shakin' and bakin' round Ponyville for a while, and it was fun, but I think it's time to put these big ol' buns to use and start bakin' up some bite sized Pies."

"Kids too?" Spike turned his head to see his children being served their ice cream and speaking to the cake twins.

Pinkie nodded. "Seeing Pound and Pumpkin grow as they have kinda makes me want to have some of my own."

"Well in that case you're gonna have to seek out a stallion if you're looking for baby batter." Spike said.

Pinkie chuckled for what seemed like a whole minute. "Never thought you'd start firing off baking puns as well Spikey. But, no. There's always adoption if I find myself in the hooves of some attractive mare. Hey, Dashie and AJ were able to take Scootaloo in as their sister after all."

Spike nodded in agreement. "Well, that's definitely some news Pinkie. Rarity would love to know about it too once she gets here. Have you told the cakes?"

Pinkie nodded. "Carrot and Cup said it sounded like a great idea, especially if it meant getting somepony else to help out around here. They're not as young as they used to be, they said."

Spike took pause at mention of that. He had noticed that Rarity was showing signs of aging lately. She would complain about the wrinkles that had been forming on her face and finding the occasional gray hair. It had only happened once or twice, but to someone who lived the lifespan of a dragon, it seemed almost rapid.

"Hey...Spikey?" Pinkie piped up, grabbing Spike's attention back. "You okay there buddy?"

Spike thought for a moment. "None of us are as young as we used to be...are we?"

Pinkie Pie gave a small and understanding smile. "Well, no. We aren't Spike. We're a lot older than we were when you and Twilight came to Ponyville. You and Rarity have kids now, I'm thinking about settling down, Twilight's become the top professor in Ponyville, Fluttershy has had to give some of her animals away, and even Applejack and Rainbow Dash have had to slow down nowadays." Spike could feel his mood declining at a rapid rate. "But have we enjoyed it?" Spike looked Pinkie in the eye. She had no hint of depression nor negativity on her face. "You see Spike, every one of our friends are completely happy and satisfied with their life. That's a rare thing, an incredibly rare thing. I get the feeling that when our time comes, we'll be ready and satisfied. And, I get it, you're worried you're going to be left alone once she's gone. You're going to miss her, and miss her dearly. But you'll be able to see things that she won't, stories that she would love to hear when you return to her buddy. You and her have brought about a revolution my scaly friend. We have dragons, ponies and griffons wandering around Equestria as friends and allies. You'll be able to see the greatness that you have helped to bring about, not to mention watching your foals and mine live their lives and make their own stories to share with their children."

Spike's eyes widened slowly. She made a valid point, and his mood had stopped declining. "Pinkie...How do you..."

"I know a lot of things Spikey. Pages and pages of knowledge, written by many many folk with a strange love for creatures like you and I."

Spike stared at Pinkie as she gave a wink to seemingly nothing but air. "You know... I don't think I will ever understand you."

Pinkie Pie held her gaze towards the empty space with a knowing smile. "I don't think anybody ever truly will." She turned her head back to Spike. "But in all honesty, she wouldn't want you to spend your many years after her passing in mourning. I say, you collect as many stories as you can to tell her. I hear that sharing tales is a favorite hobby in the family."

Spike nodded, and went to speak, but stopping when he heard the bell signaling that somepony had arrived. "I'm done! Spikey, Mythic, Nail!" Rarity called out as she made her way through the door.

Mythic leaped from her seat, abandoning the crumbs that were left on the table from her treat. "Mama!" She met Rarity halfway as the two met and rubbed noses in affection and greeting. "Did you get aunt Sweetie Belle and Applebloom back on schedule?"

"But of course, honey. Mama has been in the business long enough to know her way out of a scrap like that one. And Applebloom is more than capable of catching up on time. She was my apprentice after all." Rarity proudly announced.

Nail seemed to be a bit busy with his ice cream, as he had tried to finish his before Mythic, only to find himself stopping every few minutes to grab at his head. Of course this would send Pumpkin and Pound howling with laughter.

"Good to see you again, love." Spike spoke from his seat. "Pinkie and the Cake twins were wondering where you had gotten to. Not to mention that Pinkie has a bit of news for you."

"Oh?" Rarity turned her attention to Pinkie Pie, walking over to the table that she and Spike sat at, levitating a chair over towards her to drop her plot. "What news would that be?" PInkie Pie giggled and grinned before leaning over and whispering something into Rarity's ear. Rarity gave a gasp. "Truly?" Pinkie Pie gave a nod. "That sounds like a wonderful idea! You must keep me updated on the details!"

Pinkie Pie chuckled. "But of course i will Rarity!"

"Mom! When are we going to head to Golden Oak? I wanna go see Twilight!" Mythic asked as she brought herself to Rarity's side.

"Right! We haven't seen Twilight yet!" Spike suddenly remembered. "Sorry Pinkie, do you mind keeping a hold on that cake for us?

Pinkie Pie, having returned to her energetic self, bounced out of her seat. "Of course! We'll have it for your vacation party!"

"What an excellent idea." Rarity agreed.

"Then make sure you guys get back here at five, no, Six! Does that work?" Pinkie Pie jumped up and down in anticipation.

"Should be. I don't think we'll be doing anything that late." Spike responded. "Heck, we're only catching up with everypony today. Ain't doing any real activities 'til tomorrow."

"Perfect!" Pinkie beamed wide. "Pumpkin! Pound! Let's get crackin'!"




Spike could feel a wave of nostalgia overwhelm him as they approached the tree where Twilight Sparkle resided. Mythic was wearing a large grin on her face, showing the excitement that was hiding under her calm demeanor. Nail on the other hoof, was busy trying to perfect a loop he had been working on for the past week, causing Rarity to duck and scold him with nearly every failure.

Spike gave the door a knock. When the door didn't open, he gave it another. He began to wonder what would cause Twilight to delay their welcome, and pressed his ear to the door for a moment. While muffled, he was able to make out a few whispered words. "Hide it.........No he'll be looking...........know you're bad with kids. Just smile and............they'll love you. I do....." Of course, this sent Spike's mind whirling with possibilities and potential setups for what was behind the door.

Eventually, they heard the turning of a knob and Twilight stood there in the entrance with a big, yet nervous looking smile on her face, glasses crooked on her muzzle. "Well hi there guys!" She said through her teeth, trying unconvincingly to seem like nothing was wrong.

Rarity gave a pouting frown. "Twilight, by now you ought to know that it's--"

"--rude to make ladies wait." Mythic proudly finished her mother's thought, looking up to Rarity with a nod. "Hi Twilight!" It was as if she suddenly noticed who she was talking to and widened her grin further.

Twilight's uneasy features seemed to vanish at Mythic's sudden enthusiasm. "Well hello Mythic! Been keeping up with your studies?"

"Absolutely! I can cast a full moving image now! It can only be a small one though..." Mythic stated, following Twilight as she led them inside the library.

"That's incredible! I could barely pull that off at your age."

Nail was the last one inside the tree as he ended up muzzle down into the center of the floor. "I'm okay!" He insisted, picking himself up. When he looked up, he saw a blue mare staring quizzically at him. A unicorn with eyes like amethyst. "Hi!" He said excitedly. "I'm Nail, and I've never seen you before."

"Uh...hello...Nail. I am Trixie." Trixie gave an obviously forced smile, and looked over towards Twilight for help. However it seemed that Twilight and Mythic were a bit engrossed in their conversation. "Um...Trixie thinks that... you made...quite an entrance there Nail."

Nail's eyes widened and he beamed proudly. "You really think so?"

Spike and Rarity, still having just come in the door, found the scene amusing. "Well, seems that Trixie has a new fan." Spike chuckled.

"Oh, and Nail too." Rarity giggled back.

"Indeed. Trixie thought it was...smashing...to say the least." Trixie then found herself gaining a bit more composure. "However, if it were Trixie who was doing it, it would be beyond smashing."

Nail nodded. "Yeah, I think it can be better too. Maybe with some fireworks or something."

"Trixie agrees! Fireworks are grand! The perfect accent to any great entrance." Trixie was now completely invested in this conversation. "Not very many ponies appreciate the fine art of the showpony."

"You're a showpony?" Nail's wings fluttered wildly with excitement. "I wanna be a showpony."

Trixie nodded. "Of course! Trixie was once the greatest, most powerful showpony in all of Equestria!" She smiled and held a hoof to her chest, puffed out and proud. "Trixie sees potential in you Nail. Perhaps one day you might become a great and powerful showpony like Trixie once was?"

"Oh that'd be something to go through." Rarity chuckled dryly. Trixie and Nail seemed to ignore her though.

Spike and Rarity watched as their children continued talking to Twilight and Trixie, and began to feel a little left out. They hadn't even been here for two seconds and they were being ignored. By their own children for that matter. "I guess I get no 'welcome back Number One Assistant' or anything like that?" Spike inquired, looking off to the space overhead.

"Or perhaps, 'good to see you again Rarity my dear friend? How have you two been?'" Rarity joined in.

Twilight turned her attention back to the two of them. "Oh! Sorry guys! I just got caught up with Mythic. I guess we talk so much through letter, I forgot to actually recognize you as...actually here." Twilight chuckled to herself. "But yes. Welcome back! How are you two?"

"Fine thanks for asking." Spike replied quickly with a smile. Twilight gave him a bit of a glare, only pulling a laugh out of him.

Rarity let out a sigh. "Well, I had to help Sweetie and Applebloom get back on track, but other than that I'm glad to be back."

"She was glad to do a bit of work back here at home." Spike said.

Rarity smiled. "Well....yes, I guess it was a bit enjoyable to be back in the old boutique once more. What about you Twilight? How are things going here in Ponyville? I notice that Trixie and yourself have been...how should I say...fooling around."

"What?!" Twilight blushed furiously. "Rarity, what are you talking about?"

"Spikey pressed his ear to the door when you wouldn't answer. From the rate our heart was going, I assume he heard something a rather interesting." Rarity giggled. "Oh don't worry about it Twilight. I won't gab. In fact I'm always welcome for a little 'girl talk.' Spike rather enjoys it when I brag to the other ponies as well." This time Spike was blushing.

"Nonononononono!" Twilight insisted. "I mean...yes, but that isn't what you heard! It's just..." Twilight opened her mouth to explain, but caught herself. "Well...Trixie had made me something."

"Oh?" Spike piped up. "And what would that be?"

Twilight's cheeks brightened a bit. "A...adndceybe." She mumbled.

"Sorry dear?" Rarity insisted.

"At nd ceype..."

"One more time?" Spike pressed on. He and Rarity offering their ears quite literally.

"A hat and cape...like hers...but blue..." Twilight whispered, looking off to the side.

"Well why ever are you embarrassed by that darling?" Rarity asked.

Twilight looked back at the two of them. Then Turned to make sure Mythic wasn't listening. Sure enough she was burying her nose into a book. "I'm no showpony. I had asked her to make them for me for...a bit of roleplay. I'd rather not have the kids ask why...and I'm sure you don't want to explain to them what....what a...." Twilight shook her head. "Let's just say the words on the cape don't exactly mean 'CAT' wizard, alright?"

Spike let out a loud snort as he slammed both of his claws to his mouth, his chest silently bouncing in laughter he tried not to let out. Rarity however was tearing up at her effort to not bust a gut.

"Yeah yeah yeah, I know." Twilight frowned. "It's just something....you know I'm not gonna justify this, let's move past it. Mythic! You haven't met Trixie either have you?"

Mythic raised her head from the book she had been reading. "No, I haven't."

"Well, Trixie's talent is magic as well. I'm sure she could teach you a thing or two about magic as well!" Twilight said with a smile, leading Mythic over towards Nail and Trixie.

Nail looked to his sister with a smile. "She can make fireworks! And she's a showpony!"

"Well, retired showpony. But yes, Trixie's new protege is correct!" Trixie said with pride.

"How about you give the two of them a show?" Twilight offered with a wink.

The twins started cheering, and Trixie gave a smile. "Well, if Trixie's new fans demand it, then Trixie supposes that she might take up her old mantle once again. Very well! The Great, and Powerful Trixie shall perform!"

Twilight returned to Spike and Rarity, as Trixie let loose a small fireworks spell to indicate the beginning of her show. "She thinks she's not great with kids, but when she's in her element, she's capable of some quality entertainment." Twilight said. "It's good for her."

Rarity stared on at the show. "I don't believe you've told us quite why you fell for her, Twilight. I remember you sending Spike a letter stating that you two had found one another again, and that you had fallen in love...but I've yet to know why. She's still as boastful as she was years ago when we first saw her."

Twilight nodded. "You know Rarity, I've thought about that. You'd think we're polar opposites, she and I. But we're quite a lot alike. We have the same passion and talent for magic, and she's pretty well read for somepony who thought a doorstop could be an amulet. We're alike. Two of a kind, and yet we're also different enough to complete one another. Yes, she is boastful and loud, but I've often been told that I can be quiet and reserved. It's a balance." She looked to Rarity with an understanding look in her eyes. "Kinda like you and Spike. You both love gems and beautiful things...sometimes a bit much, but Spike also has an appreciation for the simple and standard, and Rarity for the complex and sophisticated. You're similar enough to find yourselves in one another, but different enough to keep it fun and interesting. I've found that in myself and Trixie."

Spike and Rarity looked at one another, exchanging smiles. "You give a brilliant point, Twilight Sparkle." Rarity returned. The three of them watched Trixie entertain the twins, pulling cheers from them with even her simplest tricks.



Before they left the library, Spike told Twilight and Trixie about the party that Pinkie Pie was going to be hosting. They gave confirmation that they would be there, and Twilight had given Mythic a few books for her studies, and Trixie had offered a few tomes on performance for Nail. As they waved goodbye and began walking away, Spike could swear that he heard Trixie calling for a certain wizard to take her away to the magical land of 'Pleasuregasm.' He once again had to bring his claws to his mouth to stop himself from cackling like he had gone mad.

As the family approached Sweet Apple Acres, they noticed streaks flying across the sky. Nail, growing even more excited, started flying a bit higher. Spike grabbed him by the back hoof however, pulling him back towards the ground. "Hey hey hey! Hold on, bud. We came to say hi to everypony on the farm. Applejack will be wanting to see ya too."

"But dad! Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash are flying up there! I can go say hi to them now!"

"Yeah, or we can all say hi together as a family, and you three can fly around ignoring us afterward." Spike retorted.

"Alright." Nail responded dejectedly.

"You know, they'd probably like to show off their take off techniques if they're on the ground." Rarity offered. This brought a smile right back to Nail's face as he landed.

The four then continued on their way down the dirt path, past the apple trees. Eventually, they found themselves in front of the Apple Family barn, where Applejack was playing with an aged Winona. She noticed Spike, Rarity and the twins and said something they were to far to hear. Next thing they knew though, Winona was stepping along at a brisk jog towards them. When she stopped in front of Spike, she let out a happy and welcoming 'woof;' though it was deeper and slower than he had remembered it. He smiled and leaned down, petting her head. "How you doing old girl? You miss me?" Winona's tongue was hanging sloppily out of the side of her mouth as she panted with what looked like a smile on her face.

"'Course she missed ya. We all miss y'all when yer not here." Applejack called as she approached. "But now that ya are here." She turned her head to the sky. "RAINBOW! SCOOTALOO! GET YER ASSES DOWN HERE AN' SAY HELLO!"

It only took a few seconds for the pegasus duo to make their landing next to Applejack. "Well well well. Looks like we got a new flying buddy." Rainbow Dash said, turning her attention to Nail.

Scootaloo chuckled. "Been practicing any, Nail?"

"Of course I have!" Nail responded, wings fluttering at a rapid pace. "How else would I get into the Wonderbolts?"

"Gee Captain. Looks like you have an eager recruit here." Rainbow Dash said to Scootaloo.

"Indeed it does, Former Captain. And with spirit like that I think he'll be making the cut sooner than he believes!" Scootaloo responded.

"Well fer now we got company." Applejack interjected. "Y'all gotten anythin' ta eat since ya got here? It's nearly noon."

"Well now that you mention it, I am rather famished. What about you, Spikey?" Rarity answered.

Spike nodded in return. "The kids had a bit of ice cream at Sugarcube Corner, but some actual lunch would be nice. Give us some time to chat as well."

"Well then it's settled! Ah'll head on an' grab y'all some Apple Family treats. Ah even baked a few pies fer when ya got here." Applejack turned and started walking towards the barn. "Rainbow! Would ya mind givin' me a bit o' help?"

"Sure thing AJ!" Rainbow Dash quickly turned to Nail. "After we eat, we'll see how well you're doing champ!" She then flew off to catch up with Applejack.

Scootaloo brought the group to a set of benches and spread a blanket across the tops. "So how are the Wonderbolts doing since you've become the captain?" Spike asked.

"It's not as easy as when I saw Dash do it, I'll admit that much." Scootaloo replied. "But it's pretty rewarding. We have a show coming up in Canterlot real soon. I expect we'll meet up around then?"

"As we always have." Rarity smiled.

"Well, I can't promise it'll be as great as it was when I was a member." Rainbow Dash called from a distance, Applejack at her side. The two were carrying a large tray across their backs full of pies, applesauce, sliced apples, and various other goodies. They came to the benches and Scootaloo helped them slide the tray on top. "But Scoot seems like she's doing a pretty fine job so far. Still something worth seeing." Dash let out a laugh and tussled Scootaloo's hair.

"Lot less crashin' since she took over." Applejack said, managing to give out her own laugh.

"No surprises there." Rarity added, joining in on the laughter.

It didn't take long for Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash, and Nail to scarf down their meals and take to the sky. For as young as he was, Nail did well to keep up with veteran fliers of their caliber. Mythic stared up at them and let out a little bit of a sigh. Spike noticed this, and walked over to his daughter, scooping her up in his claws and putting her onto his back. "Hold on tight." She nodded and smiled excitedly as Spike spread his massive wings, and made his way up to the sky to join the fun.

"That's a real good dad right there." Applejack said as she and Rarity finished the last of their own meals.

"Indeed he is." Rarity smiled. "Truly, I can hardly believe how lucky a girl I am. He's remarkable at most everything he does. He makes the children happy, amazing help around the boutique, a brilliant husband, not to mention a god of a lover." Rarity could feel her cheeks redden as a naughty smile spread across her face.

Applejack could only snicker and shake her head. "An' ta think that he started out as jus' a little thing when we first saw 'im. Jus' how big is he truly?"

"Oh well he's as big as he wants. And Applejack, I'm not lying when I say that he's reached places I can't even begin to imagine I had. Like this one time I--"

"WHOA there cowgirl. Ah meant his BODY. How much SPACE does he take up? At full size?"

"Oh." Rarity blushed a bit harder. "Well, I'd say he's grown larger than that one time on his birthday when he went tearing through Ponyville."

"Really?" Applejack's eyes widened with surprise.

"Yes. I think he's about reached his full growth. He's quite large in comparison to other dragons. It's rather funny, he'd always insisted that he was a bit of a runt." Rarity continued.

"Shoot! Little guy musta had quite a lot in 'im." Applejack chuckled.

"Indeed." Rarity paused as the two of them watched the pegasi fly around Spike like a ring for him to dive through. "I often wonder if I deserve him."

Without skipping a beat, Applejack responded. "Well 'course ya do."

Rarity was a bit taken aback by the sheer speed at Applejack's answer. "What?"

"Ah said 'course ya do. Ah know it was probably jus' a rhetorical thing ta say, but don't ya remember it was him who fell for you?" Applejack continued, still staring at the group's game. "Spike fell in love with you first Rarity. He's happy. Ah know how ya feel though, seems ta ya that maybe he's got so much more talent than you. He's great at most anythin' he tries as ya say. See, ah felt the same way about RD when we had started off. Ah mean, how was ah supposed ta keep up with somepony who lived and breathed in the sky?" Applejack removed her hat, looking into it. "Ah thought that maybe she'd grow bored with me when ah couldn't join her. Ya know what she said ta that?" She asked, turning and looking to Rarity. "Don't be an idiot AJ! Why would I do that? I love you, I'm happy, and so are you! Isn't that the point of this whole thing?"

Rarity looked dumbfounded towards Applejack. "You know Applejack, you do a frighteningly good Rainbow Dash impression."

Applejack chuckled. "Yeah. Ya ought ta hear Fluttershy's impression of Pinkie. You'll swear they were the same pony or somethin'. Y'all ought ta ask her to do it when she an' Big Macintosh get back from honeymoonin'." She then let out a sigh and returned her hat to her head. "Point ah'm tryin' ta make is, he's gettin' just as much out of yer relationship as you are. Hell, you can feel that. Ya got 'is heart beatin' in yer chest there. An' ya know, there's gonna come a time when he's gonna be here, an' you ain't. But you know what else? Ah'll bet he'll be spendin' every day after that time thinkin' of you, an' all the joy an' love you brought to his life, Rarity. Ya know what that means? Already, you've given him happiness that'll probably last thousands of years! Ah'd say you deserve the big lug if ya can offer 'im that."

Rarity thought for a moment. Applejack made a good point. Not only that, but Spike had a privilege that she helped bring about. With his lifespan, he'd see generations of the family she started with him live full and happy lives. "You know Applejack...I truly have missed talking to you."

Applejack merely smiled as she watched the ponies and dragon play in the sky. "...Ah missed it too..."

When Spike, Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash and Nail landed, everypony said their goodbyes and promised to meet up again during the vacation.

The rest of their day went by rather quickly, as Rarity and Spike showed the twins various activities they used to do in Ponyville, passing by to chat with old friends. Sooner than they realized, the time had come for them to make their way to Pinkie Pie's party. Upon arrival to Sugarcube Corner, Spike stood at the door, and raised a claw to knock. Before he did however, he felt a sudden warmth in his heart, a culmination of the joy and conversation he had partaken in. It was a bit nostalgia, and a bit hope, all coming together inside his chest. He could feel that Rarity was having the exact same reaction.

He brought his claw down, and turned towards her and his children, and scooped them all in a large hug. "I love you all."

Rarity could only smile as she rubbed her face against her husband's. "We know. And know that no matter where the three of us are, we will always love you too Spike." The twins simply accepted the hug and giggled.

Spike then let them go, giving them another quick look as he turned back to the door and gave it a quick knock. As Pinkie Pie opened the door, he smiled wider than he ever had in his life, seeing all his old friends in one place like the old times. It was like magic.