• Published 11th Sep 2012
  • 12,832 Views, 749 Comments

What We Lose - Subsolar Drift



What happens after a horrible accident puts Twilight Sparkle into a deep coma?

  • ...
41
 749
 12,832

Epilogue

The train doors opened and I stepped out onto the platform. The sun was shining brightly, birds chirping and chittering in the rafters. The station was almost empty, only a few ponies moving to and fro. The air was warm, a slight breeze so it wasn’t too hot. I made my way through the station and out the front onto the steps. I stopped and gave myself a minute to appreciate the beauty.

The trees were in full bloom, flowers of every color sending their aromas on the breeze to my nose. I took a deep breath, my smile growing larger. The town seemed to glimmer, all the quaint houses and buildings right where they belonged. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky, and it was a perfect shade of blue. For once, everything felt right.

I moved down the steps and through town, enjoying the wonderful day. I found myself at the park in no time. The stream gurgled and flowed clearly, glistening in the sun. Little animals bounded around, pausing to nibble at the grass or flowers. It was more quiet than usual, the sounds of nature taking the place as background noise. Only one or two ponies trotted by. I made my way to a bench under a willow beside the river. It had always been my favorite spot.

I sat there for some time, simply enjoying the day. Hoofsteps echoed through the air causing my ears to twitch. I turned my head to see who else was enjoying the day. The world fell away when I laid eyes on her. Nothing else could ever matter. There stood Rainbow Dash, the mare I loved more than my magic, my country, and my life. There stood my wife.

Tears of joy in my eyes, I galloped to the bridge where she stood as fast as my hooves could carry me. She turned her head and saw me as I ran, eyes lighting up. We met there on the bridge in an embrace, more happy than in a long time. Our eyes filled joy. We kissed, a kiss that neither one of us would ever forget.

She covered me with one of her wings and pulled me close. Together we made our way back to the bench. We sat in peaceful silence for a long time, content in each other’s presence. I spoke first.

“Rainbow, I’m sorry you had to go through this. I know how hard it is for you. This shouldn’t have had to happen to you.” I held her hoof in mine.

“It’s alright. Everything’s better now, isn’t it?”

I smiled softly and nodded. “Do you think I’ll see the others soon?” She nuzzled me affectionately.

“They’ll be along in time. Though I bet we’ll have plenty of alone time.”

I nuzzled her back and she traced her feathers down my back. “Rainbow, I love you” I whispered.

She smiled. “I know. I love you too”

“I know.” I chuckled.

We sat there until the sun set. The last sliver of sun went over the horizon and Rainbow stood up. In an instant, she unfurled her wings, pulled me into her hooves, and took off. We flew together through the air. Just a couple in love.

Author's Note:

And that's it! My first ever fanfiction is complete. Thank you all for you're time. Thanks again to bats and Rainbow at Twilight. Goodnight all and stay tuned. New work coming soon. Ish.

Comments ( 119 )

“Rainbow, I’m sorry go through this." Missing you had in here.

2232764 I kinda meant the last part to be flying by in a blur, but I didn't pull it off quite right so it is a little rushed there I guess. The sudden ending was planned though.

2233419 I feel it does a better job with the epilogue, though I do understand what you're saying.

NEED TO FOLLOW YOU!* Zombie mode*

2233565
But I have to wait until tomorrow!!! It will KILL ME! :raritycry:

The. Worst. Possible. THING!

(I use Rarity emotes for a reason. :raritywink:)

Yes! Happy ending! Happy dance initiated! This was incredibly well written, you should be proud of your work :twilightsmile:

EDIT: Congrats on getting featured!

a happy ending, but lacking. good work. till next time.

must...have....sequel

A lovely happy ending.

I actually had to give this fic two goes, because after I learned that Twilight would never remember Rainbow, well, it depressed me, but Im glad I came back to give it a second chance. Great job, mate. I can't wait to see more of your work!

Also, if I may:

“I know how hard it is for you. This shouldn’t have had to happen to you.”

This just doesn't feel natural, I feel that something along the lines of
"I know this must have been hard for you. It shouldn't have happened in the first place."

Up to you, of course, but that's just how I feel. Otherwise, great work!

Well, I am happy for the happy ending to this story. I am curious though as just what was the accident that caused Twilight to end up in a coma?

Wow, I had literally just finished reading this story a few hours ago, and what do I find but it being updated with the epilogue so soon. Sweet!

2233793 seriously sequel that elaborates on things its a must i hardly say this but MOAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fimfiction-static.net/images/emoticons/flutterrage.png

Well, the was abrupt... I think i may have whiplash! Still though, definitely a good fic just a too abrupt ending mate.

YAY! Happy ending!

You know, I was kind of expecting this to end with Twilight remembering everything among her friends, and managing to say goodbye to them before dying of whatever magical thing was going on in her brain that was causing headaches and was very dangerous :fluttercry: (sorry, I kinda forgot the exact explanation for that). I am really happy with a happy ending, though. :pinkiehappy:

Yay!:yay:

Happy Ending! YES!!!

So happy right now. :pinkiehappy:

this story had me thinking that Twilight would die in the end after trying to regain memories. :fluttercry: I am so glad that everything played out just right for Twilight to regain her memories and her life. :pinkiehappy:

All in all a great story and I hop to see more from you. :twilightsmile:

Abrupt is the only word i have for the last two chapters. While it was more or less the ending that was expected, it felt belittled in its current state. Almost like you got tired to writing this story...

the ending seemed a bit rushed I mean we didn't even find out what happened to her to lose her memories in the first place. all we know is that she was reading and suddenly screamed, was it just that one of her laylines was disturbed or did that happen as a result of the coma.

D'aww. I love happy endings. :pinkiesmile: Although it feels abrupt -- even though it works -- it feels rushed.

During that epilogue I knew exactly what'd happened when she recognized the bench as her favorite spot, and pretty much went: YES!!!! Happiness incoming! :pinkiehappy: It was a good touch to not include Applejack and the others in sharing Twilight regaining her memories -- I like that that was reserved for Rainbow Dash and Rainbow Dash alone... good call :twilightsmile:

Bravo and congratulations on your first ever fanfic complete! :twilightsmile:

That was beautiful!

There ws a breif moment where i wasn't sure which character you were following, which ws probably good also that when we do figure it out, the impact its bigger: it was <i> almost</i> there inn that i felt it, but the impact could have been bigger, still; we just went on an emotional rollercoaster and need equal parts resolution to feel completely satisfied. But hey, happy ending!:twilightsmile:

Well, another great fanfic has come to an end. Sometimes i wish they would go on, but all things must come to an end eventually. It was an amazing fanfic, making me have all the feels multiple times.

2234266 yea I get that I just don't like an unresolved mystery like you get to the end of a novel where the the main aspect is resolved but there is one minor detail that that has been nagging you throughout the whole thing and when you get to the end you realize that you didn't get an answer to that one question.

I smiled softly and nodded. “Do you think I’ll see the others soon?” She nuzzled me affectionately.
“They’ll be along in time. Though I bet we’ll have plenty of alone time.”

That depends on how many wings and horns grow between now and then!

I feel like something was missed. We know celestia tried to fix her and restore her magic but failed and said she couldn't restore memories of rainbow so how was she able to do it on the hilltop. I feel there is a transition missing or something of the like. There was how the memories of her friends came back but what of her love how did she rediscover that or was it simply "poof" memories back and you love again...have fun.

Just a few thoughts. Really enjoyed it though and the double perspective was a nice touch with plenty of feels.

seems a little rushed at the end if you ask me. i feel it should have been just as long as the other chapters at least.

EoH blast yourself, Twilight!

...I choose to ignore the epilogue and interpret this fiction as a "open to interpretations" ending. :derpytongue2:

Bravo, bravo, cool story brony.

Perhaps this could be expanded to explain what she went through during the spell? I really didn't want this to end so soon, and it left me very confused when I saw "The End".

so she got her memories back?

A little bit rushed but it work in general... Still rushed, but not bad. Good ending. Happy ending, you know... SEQUEL! :flutterrage:

I would have liked to seen twilights struggle through the memories something to warrant Celestia's hesitation at preforming the spell
But Not my Story. Nice Job regardless

2234484 or what horns are missing :pinkiecrazy:

Subsolar Drift, call me crazy but why do i have the feeling that Twilight lose his magic in order to restore his memories
i mean this scene

There stood Rainbow Dash, the mare I loved more than my magic, my country, and my life. There stood my wife.

it screams to me that there was a safe way but with great sacrifices, probably something along with sealing the leylines of Twilight magic making her an earth pony with a horn.
i really enjoyed the story, short quick and to the point, you handled the emotions of the characters like a pro :twilightsmile:
so to end my comment the inevitable question :pinkiehappy: Sequel?
i´ll wait patiently your next work whether it will be a sequel or another story, i want to see what you have in the future :twilightsmile:

Did you ever actually tell us what the accident was? And why did the memory thing work all of the sudden? Just a matter of will?

Or is she actually dead, and Rainbow met up with her because.....oh dear. That's a grim thought. :fluttershbad:

I assume her magic was removed to gain her memories back. Celestia stated earlier that some of her magic had gone wild inside her mind, and they were concentrated around her memories of being married. If her magic was removed, so too would the feral part of it be gone. With that out of the way, Celestia could restore the memories without the magic tearing her head apart. Some detail on this would've been nice, but the ability to interpret what exactly happened is nice too.

I would love to see a sequel to this were Twilight deals with the loss of her magic in exchange for her memories. I imagine that would be a huge deal for somepony who embodies magic itself to handle.

Celestia: "Could even kill you..."

I smiled softly and nodded. “Do you think I’ll see the others soon?” She nuzzled me affectionately.
“They’ll be along in time. Though I bet we’ll have plenty of alone time.”

:fluttercry:
Please tell me I'm reading too much into these lines!:pinkiesad2:

I like how you expressed the beauty in the world again through Twilight's eyes. And how she is able to have a fullness of joy again.
The contrast there - between when she realized she wasn't happy at all anymore, and how she finds what she was looking for in the end - is probably what I think is the most meaningful part of this story.

Though there were plenty of cute/awesome TwiDash feels throughout. :rainbowwild::twilightsheepish:

wow bravo i loved everything so engaging and heart wrenching. i usually hate sad romances because it just kills me, because even though most of them have happy endings im forever scarred with the sad moments, they have more impact on me that the happy ones. the narration and character switching was just marvelous. i loved everything but to be honest i felt that at the Epilogue i felt you rushed it heavily and it made me disconnect from the story quite a bit and the happy ending wasn't quite as impacting as the sad moments were. again im not judging it im just trying to provide some constructive criticism. quite frankly ive never read of RD and Twi shipping but this one was nice. one more thing (this isn't criticism just a comment) i felt rainbow dash felt a bit uncharacteristic of her personality i would imagine her being a too cool for love pony that tries not to be as snugly in public but still loves twilight, like a classic male trying to talk about love as if it was a casual thing. i absolutely loved your story i couldn't stop reading again great work hope to see more amazing stuff from you. thank you for the story.

the ending was way too rushed and it totally took away the strong feel good feeling it should have caused the reader in my opinion, i mean like in the sade moments you took your time and they were really strong but the ending felt weak like it was a dream or something it didn't feel happy at all to me it actually felt more like a dream of twilight which made it all the more sadder. i wish you had take your time with the ending but the story overall is really addicting and good. also i wish you had given some details as to how she ended up in a coma instead of just "imma just read under this tree and oh no! im in a coma now!" also on how celestia fixed her and bit more of what happened after that instead of twilight just being in ponyville suddenly near the end.

Well done. A little on the short side for the ending but I like how you actually have to sit here and think about it for a second. Beautiful story.

one more thing i forgot was that I ABSOLUTELY loved the quote of tupac you used, its such a damn beautiful quote that it got me hooked on your story immediately. good choice.

2233761>>2233879>>2234156>>2234235>>2234523>>2234619>>2235016>>2235258>>2238265>>2238506 Alright. Let's talk about the ending. I had something I was trying to do, and I didn't pull it off. This made it rushed. You are all right, looking back now it is rushed. I could fix it, it wouldn't be too hard. It' would get my message across better as well. If you all would like to see what I was trying to do, then I will fix it. Either way, thank you for reading and commenting. I appreciate the different views so I can improve my writing in the future.

2237451>>2236315 I love it when readers look beyond the surface!

2239735
i would appreciate a different ending. i have no doubt you would do well with it, it's why i was surprised when the last chapter didn't meet your normal standards.

2239873 Very well. I'll try to have it up soon.

Login or register to comment