• Published 21st Dec 2020
  • 3,677 Views, 66 Comments

The Things In Between - Gay For Gadot



At first, Wallflower Blush was excited to visit Equestria with her girlfriend, Sunset Shimmer. Then she saw how different each of them became on the other side of the mirror.

  • ...
8
 66
 3,677

All The Hidden Love Beneath

Wallflower Blush had been quiet on the train ride to Canterlot.

To be fair, Wallflower was quiet a lot of the time. Sunset never minded. While she loved a good conversation as much as anyone else, she didn’t need to fill the silence all the time. There was a serenity in just lying together as the world passed by.

The shades of the painted world beyond their window exchanged as they made their way north: the greens and golds of the forest and meadows; the purples and whites of Mount Canterlot; the growing reds and pinks against the blue sky as day winded closer to night. All were in silent symphony as Sunset held Wallflower tight in her forelegs, her eyes drawn to no one else but her.

When the train came to a halt, the conductor announcing that they had reached Canterlot, Wallflower looked up from her chest. “We’re here already?”

“Yup! This one’s a short ride. Not like going all the way to the Crystal Empire or something.” As they untangled their hooves, Sunset offered her an encouraging smile. “Though, we could go there someday, too, if you like. I haven’t been there in a long time.”

“Hmm, maybe.”

Unaccustomed to her new body, Wallflower needed a hoof up. No matter. She was light in Sunset’s grasp. Even if she wasn’t, she had her magic. Using either was good exercise.

Once they were settled, Sunset led her by the forehoof out of the train. “The Crystal Empire’s an interesting place. Lost to an ancient curse for a thousand years. I’d never seen it before I crossed the mirror. It was still nothing but a legend then.”

“Oh, wow.” Wallflower glanced up at her with those beautiful brown eyes. Sunset almost led them into a group of giggling mares, circumventing them at the last second. She could get lost in those eyes if she let herself.

Taking a moment to focus on the task at hand, Sunset pointed towards Mount Canterlot. “See the castle up there?” When Wallflower nodded, Sunset explained, “That’s where we’re headed. That’s Canterlot Castle, where Princess Celestia and her sister, Princess Luna, live.” She paused. “Where I used to live.”

Though it must have taken some effort, Wallflower gently squeezed Sunset’s forehoof like she would her hand. Sunset’s heart fluttered in response. She had to nuzzle her then. Simply had to. Otherwise, the adrenaline would make it impossible to breathe. Or focus on anything else.

The way Wallflower’s breath hitched when she caressed her almost made Sunset pull them into somepony again. She laughed, then steered them better. Steered herself better.

Hoof-in-hoof, they walked through the streets of Canterlot. Sunset pointed out things along the way. Places that had meaning and memory to her. Donut Joe’s, where she’d study late into the night, fueled by far too much sugar and caffeine. The park where she used to practice her magic. The Canterlot Library, where she’d devoured every book within during her search for…

Well, she left that part out. Wallflower knew about that already. No need to spoil the mood.

All the while, Sunset kept her close. Although still unsteady on her hooves, Wallflower seemed calm. She occasionally asked a question, but appeared happy to mostly just listen to Sunset’s recollections.

Wallflower had her own stories, Sunset knew. Everyone did. Once Wallflower trusted Sunset enough to tell her own, she would gladly listen. For now, Sunset was happy to play storyteller. Especially when she made her laugh.

“No, I’m telling you the truth! I bought all of the eclairs! Every last one!” Sunset hid a laugh behind her free forehoof. “Donut Joe had to close early!”

Wallflower giggled. “N-no way!”

Gah! She was far too cute for words.

“In fact, he not only closed early, but had to open late the next day! There were more than a few ponies wondering why they couldn’t have their usual eclair and coffee!” Shaking her head, Sunset said, laughing, “Oh, wow… Poor Joe…”

More giggles. “Yeah, p-poor Joe… And the others. You gave them…” Wallflower snorted as she finished, “A total eclair of the heart.”

“Hey! That’s my kind of line!”

Wallflower gave her that perfect smile. “Too late.”

If they hadn’t been in public, Sunset would’ve kissed her. Since she didn’t feel like turning her girlfriend into a literal shrinking violet, she held back. Instead, she laughed and nuzzled her again.

By the time they reached Canterlot Castle, Sunset didn’t notice the chill in the air. Despite the fact that Princess Celestia was in the process of lowering her sun, Sunset felt as warm as they had throughout the entire day. Crossing the portal, walking through the market, the tour, the picnic, the train ride… None of it would have felt as warm without the mare beside her. Or the girl that she would become when they went back home.

As they approached the castle gate, the sight of Royal Guards made Sunset cringe on instinct. Wallflower must have noticed, for she, too, avoided their gaze. The soldiers’ golden armor glinted in the fading sunlight as they locked eyes with Sunset.

“Hello there. I’m Sunset Shimmer, and this is Wallflower Blush.” Sunset cleared her throat, steeling her own nerves. This was the first time she’d seen Princess Celestia since the incident with the Memory Stone. While the meeting would be on good terms this time, she couldn’t help but feel nervous. “I know it’s past the usual time for an audience with Princess Celestia, but Princess Twilight Sparkle should have informed her that we would be stopping by.”

The two guards exchanged a glance, then stomped their front forehooves. The great doors to the castle gradually opened.

“Thank you.” Sunset bowed her head. Wallflower was already doing the same—or hiding within her mane. Either way, Sunset laid a forehoof over her withers as they passed the guards and entered the castle courtyard.

When Wallflower continued to avoid her eyes, hidden beneath her silky green mane, Sunset came to a halt. “Hey.” She took one of Wallflower’s forehooves between both of her own. “You doing okay? Everything alright?”

It was something Sunset asked often. Sometimes, it felt like some variation of “okay” was the most common word spoken between them. There was a time in Sunset’s life when she might have been annoyed by this, but not anymore. Not ever. She never wanted to force anything on Wallflower. Not meeting her friends, not sitting with them at lunch, not hanging out with them on weekends. Not coming to Equestria. Tartarus, not even being with Sunset.

Everything had been a slow process after the Memory Stone. It started with including Wallflower in the yearbook—both in its development and its content—and promoting the Gardening Club. And it hadn’t ended there.

Weeks went by before Sunset and Wallflower realized that what was growing between them was more than just friendship. Months passed before it was official. Throughout all that time, Sunset never once felt impatient. She reeled things back at times, yes—but it was never done begrudgingly.

Above anything, Sunset just wanted Wallflower to be happy.

So, when Wallflower finally met her eyes and said, “I’m okay, Sunset,” Sunset believed her. She had to, after all. Trust went both ways. As afraid Sunset was of hurting her, she had to trust that Wallflower was being honest with her when she said she wasn’t.

“Alright.” Sunset gestured towards a long, spiraling staircase that led further into the castle. “That’s where we’re going. It’s a bit of a walk, but it shouldn’t be too bad. You’re feeling better on your hooves, right?”

“Yeah, mostly.”

“Okay.” With that, Sunset started them towards the stairs.

“Hey, Sunset…”

Sunset looked over. “Mmm?”

“I…” Wallflower untangled their forehooves. “I, um… Need a moment to get ready. I-if you know what I mean.” With a light blush on her cheeks, she rubbed one foreleg with the other. “Can I just meet you up there?”

Without hesitation, Sunset answered, “Of course.” She pointed towards the opposite side of the courtyard. “Just down that way. You shouldn’t miss the signs. Then I’ll meet you at the top of the stairs. If you get lost, just ask any Royal Guard where to go.” Against her own reservations, she mustered a grin. “I know they look scary, but they’re nice. Trust me.” She brought a forehoof to her muzzle, adding in a conspiratorial whisper, “Not to mention that they couldn’t even stop me when I was a teenager.”

They shared a slight, if somewhat forced, giggle. With one last nod, Wallflower trotted off, her bushy green tail swishing behind her.

When she’d realized she’d been staring, Sunset whirled back around, cheeks crimson. She was as attractive in one form as another. No amount of magic could change that.


Seventy-one tiles. No, seventy-two. Seventy-two tiles on this section of floor. A third count confirmed that the first two had forgotten something. The one in the corner. Ah. It was far too easy to forget the one in the corner.

Sunset stopped pacing and glanced down the stairs. Nothing. How long had it been? Five minutes? Ten? Fifteen? She should’ve tried bringing her watch across the portal. Her phone probably wouldn’t survive the dimensional magic, but maybe a simple watch would have. In lieu of that, a clock on the wall would do wonders. Maybe she would suggest Princess Celestia add one.

… That was a joke.

After everything, Sunset had no right to so much as let her former mentor know about the cracks in these tiles. Of which there were fifteen of them. No, wait. Twenty.

The sound of hoofsteps yanked her from another round of counting. Her eyes lit up as she turned around. “Wallflower!”

“‘Wallflower’? No, I’m planting more begonias tonight.” Princess Luna, wearing a big, floppy gardening hat and pulling a small wagon behind her, rounded the corner. “What’s this ‘wallflower’ you speak of? Never heard of it. Other than the expression, of course.”

Sunset’s ears drooped, her smile fading.

“Oh, don’t act so happy to see me now, Sunset Shimmer. I might not be able to handle the enthusiasm.”

Both her ears and muzzle drooped further. “S-sorry, Princess Luna. I was just—” She sighed. “I’m waiting on Wallflower. My girlfriend,” she clarified, seeing the same question springing to the alicorn’s lips.

“Ah.” Princess Luna looked over her assortment of gardening supplies. “The one who found the Memory Stone buried by Clover the Clever?”

Sunset nodded.

“The one who stole your friends’ memories to get back at you?”

Sunset bit her lip. “It’s—it’s more complicated than that.”

Princess Luna shot a knowing grin her way. “Love always is, isn’t it?”

Grateful for the darkness of the growing night, Sunset replied, “Y-you could say that.”

“So, you’ve brought her here to meet my sister.” Princess Luna looked down at her potting soil and trowels before returning to Sunset. “Does your Wallflower realize the significance of this?”

“I—” Sunset’s mouth suddenly grew dry. Where was Wallflower? Why was this taking so long? “I-I’m not sure.”

“... Do you realize the significance of this?”

“I—I’m not sure…?”

“Really?” To Sunset’s surprise—and irritation—Princess Luna snorted. “I may not know you that well, Sunset Shimmer, but from my sister’s stories, you never do anything unintentionally. You’re crafty. Cunning, some would say.” A brief pause. “Maybe to the point of overthinking.”

“I guess I should have overthought this, then, because I’m still confused.” Sunset sighed. “I just want her to meet Princess Celestia because she’s important to me. They both are.”

“Of course. I don’t dispute that. However—and I say this as one still a thousand years behind, in many ways—” Princess Luna’s smile faltered for a moment—“but, given that my sister practically raised you, bringing Wallflower here to meet her is—”

“—Like having her meet my mom.” Another sigh. “Y-yeah, I—I get what you mean now.”

The silence was punctuated by Princess Luna examining the begonias in her wagon. Sunset Shimmer may have not known her well either, but she was cognizant enough to know when somepony was stalling for time. Letting her breathe. Letting her think. Letting her feel.

Realization washed over her like moonlight, which was now in full swing. One alicorn had finished her duties when Wallflower had left. Another had completed them before she returned. The sister she sought, Sunset had yet to see. Perhaps it was better that she had met the other one first.

“W-well… I’m already here. We’re already here. It would be rude not to meet with Princess Celestia at this point.” She released a breath she hadn’t realized she’d been carrying up the stairs. “But I didn’t—I didn’t mean for it to be this significant. To mean so much. To go so fast. It just… kind of happened. And I don’t want to overwhelm her.”

Across from her, Princess Luna set the flowers in her magic down. “This is my niece’s realm, more than mine, but I will do my best.” She looked away, seeming deep in thought, before meeting Sunset’s gaze. “Things only have the meaning you ascribe to them. Flowers start dying from the moment they are cut.” She considered the bounty in her wagon. “Even so, we give them as gifts because of what they mean to us. And that meaning is whatever we decide. Collectively, there are commonalities, but… the true significance is from one pony to another. Do you understand what I am saying, Sunset Shimmer?”

The weight of the day, the night, and the moment lifted from Sunset’s withers. “Yes. Yes I do, Princess Luna. Th—thank you.” She hesitated at the sound of more hoofsteps.

They both turned around. Just a Royal Guard. His mane and coat colors seemed familiar, but he was no Wallflower.

Sunset sighed towards Princess Luna. “Well, I should probably go find her. I think she must have gotten lost.”

The Royal Guard turned around. “Are you looking for an Earth pony mare? Light-green coat, dark-green mane?”

“Yes!” Sunset zipped over to him, eyes wide. “Where is she?”

The guard did not shirk from Sunset’s advance, though his eyes widened a bit. “The Royal Gardens, just outside the courtyard. She looked a little lost, but wouldn’t respond to me.”

At his words, Sunset’s heart sank. “O-oh. Um, thank you. Uh…” She looked him up and down. Where had she seen him before? “Sir…”

“Flash Sentry. Sir Flash Sentry.”

A bark of a chuckle roared through Sunset. Both Sir Flash Sentry and Princess Luna raised their brows in response, exchanging quizzical looks.

“Sorry! Sorry! Long story.” Once Sunset calmed, she said with a bow of her head, “Thank you, Sir Flash Sentry. Thank you both.”

As Sunset headed down the stairs, she caught wind of Sir Flash Sentry asking Princess Luna, “First, Princess Twilight. Now, her. Do I have something on my face?”


Just as Sir Flash Sentry had said, Sunset found Wallflower in the Royal Gardens. Beneath a weeping willow, she sat with her back to Sunset, gazing up at the great branches of the mighty tree above her.

Sunset approached as quietly as she could. However, there were some things she couldn’t put past an Earth pony’s magic. Especially one so connected to the life she trampled underhoof.

Wallflower’s ears flicked. When her eyes met Sunset’s, she turned back around. Sinking into herself, she pulled at the long sleeves of her baggy sweater.

When she joined her side, Sunset took a deep breath. “Wallflower,” she said, laying a forehoof on her withers as she sat down.

It didn’t take long for Wallflower to take a deep breath of her own. Fidgeting in her characteristic way in an uncharacteristic body, she laid the blame for their tension on herself. Not surprising, though it was always hard to hear. “Sunset, I—I’m so sorry. I just...” She sighed. “Th-this is all my fault.”

“All your fault?” Sunset moved her foreleg from her withers to her waist, embracing her in a more human way. “Wallflower, you didn’t do anything wrong. I’m the one who should be apologizing.”

Both her words and the gesture were meant to be comforting. Yet, Wallflower tensed as she faced her fully. “Y-you? Sunset, none of this is your fault!” She tugged at the sleeves of her sweater. “Y-y-you’re not the one who’s—who’s—d-disappointing.”

“Disappointing?” Sunset could barely believe her own ears. She blinked once, twice, a third time. “Wait. Back up.” With a confused frown, she asked, “Are we even talking about the same thing right now?”

Both mares stared at each other. The gentle breeze through the gardens was the sole cadence to the silence humming between them.

Then, Wallflower cracked the tiniest of smiles. “Maybe not…”

Sunset returned it with one of her own. “Didn’t think so.”

“Sorry. I’m playing the pronoun game again, aren’t I?”

“Mmhm. And I’m not very good at it.”

Wallflower’s tiny smile withered as quickly as it grew. Sunset wanted to comment, but waited, letting Wallflower gather her words. “Sometimes, it feels like that’s the only kind of thing I’m good at. The pronoun game, misreading things, and…”

As Wallflower looked over her pony form, she finished, “Being disappointing.”

Without missing a beat, Sunset gently guided Wallflower’s gaze back to her. “I misread things too sometimes. Everyp—everyone does. And disappointing? You’ve never disappointed me, Wallflower.”

“Sunset,” Wallflower said, an edge in her words and a grit in her teeth, “you and I both know that’s not true.”

“Well—not since the Memory Stone, at least.” Sunset shook her head. “But not since I’ve gotten to know you.” The smile on her muzzle grew. “Everything I’ve learned about you since we started spending time together has only made me like you more.”

Her words were sincere, as real as she could make them. As real as the tangle of their forehooves, as the wind that teased their manes, as her heart thumping in her chest. Regardless, Sunset knew—though she would never, ever fault her for it—all the things she said couldn’t hold a candle to the storm that raged inside Wallflower’s mind.

Outside of the storm, Sunset could only wait for it to swell. Could only ride the waves once they broke.

After the silence sang, Sunset witnessed what had been brewing.

“You—I—I-I have no idea what you see.” Splendid copper eyes crashed into Sunset’s own. “Inside my head, I just hear how worthless and invisible and broken I am. It never stops, no matter what I try. No matter what I do… O-or what you do. A-and then we come here, to this magical place, and…”

Sunset looked over the mare in her forelegs. Every inch of her was beautiful, down to the freckles on her cheeks that the transformation magic had thankfully spared.

“A-and what do I become? I’m—I don’t have any magic, o-or a special talent, really. I-It’s a flower, yeah, but that’s nothing special at all! Just like back home. Same ol' boring Wallflower who fits in better with plants than people—or ponies. And even through a magic mirror, I look the same as before, but worse! My hair becomes this frizzy thing—”

Sunset sparked her magic, moving a bit of mane from Wallflower’s eyes.

“A-and my colors are the same. Everyone else is pretty and shiny and colorful, but I’m just dull. I’m all ugly and gross and clashing and I can’t—I-I can’t even be without—w-without my… W-w-without the…”

Red magic concealed what Wallflower was looking down at with shame. The sleeves slid back down over her fetlocks. That same aura traced back up to her chin, bringing her eyes, brimming with tears, into Sunset’s own.

“Wallflower, listen to me.” Sunset chose her breaths, and her words, carefully. “I’m sure you know this by now, but it bears repeating: I will always be honest with you. After all the awful things I did when I first came through the mirror, I vowed to—before anything else—be open and honest about who I am and how I feel.”

Sunset let her words sink in before continuing, “You are beautiful to me. Absolutely beautiful. Back home, and here, too.” She couldn’t help but frown. “I’m sorry if I made you feel inadequate in some way by introducing you to my friends here—some of whom, yes, are Princesses.” She gave Wallflower’s forehooves a gentle squeeze. “I didn’t intend to, but I should have thought about how that must have made you feel.”

Sunset didn’t have a chance for the silence to linger this time.

“D-did you know I was going to look like this?”

“Do you mean, did I know you’d become an Earth pony?” Sunset shook her head. “No, because not even Princess Celestia knows how the mirror’s magic works. I had no idea what you’d come out as.” Sunset nuzzled her cheek. “But that doesn’t matter to me. I’d still like you just as much even if you were a pegasus or a unicorn on this side.”

“... Or an alicorn?” Wallflower added, almost in a whisper.

“Of course. No matter what.” Sunset realized what she’d been implying. “No more, no less. Just as much.”

When the silence returned, it felt lighter than before. Despite this, Sunset felt a familiar tension winding back through her. It tightened when she realized what was rising from her stomach. Something other than flutters or nerves.

In time, she would share it with Wallflower. When she was ready. When they both were ready. Right now, she needed to make her convictions known past any shred of reasonable doubt.

“I—I think having you meet Princess Celestia after everything else we’ve done today might have been too much. I didn’t mean to put pressure on you, but I did. And I think it’s been building up all day. Hasn’t it?”

A long minute passed before Wallflower gazed up at Sunset. “W-well… I am really nervous to meet her, but it’s not really about her. It’s… it’s just…” She shook her head. “I never understand what you see in me, Sunset. Why you like me. Why you’re with me. After all, you’re Sunset Shimmer. You can have anyone you want.” Her chest heaved. “Besides, this—this isn’t going to last. L-let’s be real. I’ll hurt you again, or you learn something about me that makes you n-not like me anymore. Or you’ll look around and see wh-who else you could have, and—”

Closing the gap between them, Sunset countered that thought.

The kiss was brief but fierce, Sunset pulling Wallflower flush against her. It wasn’t their first kiss overall, but it was their first as ponies. One that Sunset had been wanting all day, starting when Wallflower emerged with uneasy hooves and the prettiest smile.

As they pulled away, Sunset rested her snout against Wallflower’s. An ancient gesture. The sharing of breath. A reinforcement of intimacy and connection, dating back to when the first ancestors of ponies—who were all Earth ponies, full of burgeoning magic—roamed free. Something that Wallflower could not have understood on the same instinctual level that Sunset did.

Something that she returned all the same, the warmth of her breath so sweet and tender on Sunset’s muzzle. She smiled as she gazed into her eyes. No magic known to man or equine could compare to the majesty that accompanied them here. They were both strangers in a strange land in their own ways, brought together from the ends of space, time, and reality itself.

Meeting her eyes, Wallflower whispered, her cheeks scarlet, “Fl-flutters.”

Sunset’s blazed back. “Yeah?”

“Y-yeah.”

“Me too.”

They stayed like that for a little while longer.

When Sunset Shimmer pulled away, still holding Wallflower’s forehooves in her own, she spoke one last time. The very bottom of her heart was scraped bare as she said, “I choose you, Wallflower. The kind, beautiful, caring girl whose eyes light up at her passions. The one who shirks from the limelight, but who shines when she’s needed the most. Whose heart is nothing but pure. Who just needed someone to treat her like a person to really flourish.”

Sunset was beaming now. “Just like flowers need the right water and soil to not only survive, but thrive, all you needed was the right care. The right chance. The right environment. Between my friends and I, you’ve been given the opportunity to show the world who you really are. And you have.

“And that’s who I choose, every single day. You aren’t forcing me; no one is. I’m choosing to be with you. Because that’s what I want—who I want. You.” Sunset’s heart raced, leaving her breathless, as she finished, “Even if you can’t believe it—even if there’s a part of you that will never let you accept it—it’s still real. And I’ll keep telling you it is. No matter what.

“Out of all the choices I have, I choose you. And I’ll keep choosing you as long as you keep choosing me.”

Joy glimmered in Wallflower’s new tears, rather than sorrow. This time, she didn’t shy away, leading them with clumsy forehooves into another kiss. Sunset closed her eyes, savoring the sensation—the warmth of the truth that flowed outwards from her to the one she beheld.

When Wallflower broke the caress, she wrapped her forelegs around Sunset at last. Together, they held each other tight. Wild ponies—even the mighty Earth ponies of eons past—couldn’t tear them away.

Wallflower nuzzled her. “I choose you too, Sunset.”

Sunset rested her head atop Wallflower’s, holding her close. She sighed contentedly, relieved in her own way.

“Sunset?”

“Mmm?”

“I… I still want to meet her. Princess Celestia, I mean.” Wallflower met her eyes. “If it’s not too late. But I think I need a little time with just you right now, if that’s okay.”

Truth be told, Sunset had half a mind to forego their visit entirely and stay like this as long as Wallflower would let her. Knowing how much this meant to both of them, she smiled down at her and replied, “Of course it’s okay. Princess Celestia usually stays up pretty late, so I don’t think she’ll mind. I know that I certainly don’t.”

When Wallflower replied, “Okay,” and held her tighter, Sunset sensed something different in it. Something that spoke louder than the dark thoughts that often stood between what Wallflower heard and what Sunset meant.

It was nice to hear the latter sink in.

Despite what Wallflower’s mind would argue, Sunset hadn’t been disappointed in the slightest. Growing up, she never thought something like this could happen. That she could share her life—especially her old life—with someone who meant more than magic to her.

No matter how long it took Wallflower to see herself in the same way that Sunset did—if she ever would or could—Sunset vowed to be there to remind her. To keep making the same choice, day by day, over and over again. Never tiring of it.

After all, it was an easy choice to make. To have her.

When she broke their embrace, Wallflower pecked at Sunset’s cheek.

Sunset traced over where she’d been kissed. “What was that for?”

“That was a thanks.” Wallflower’s tail swished as she rose to her hooves. “For being so patient and understanding with me. Like you always are.”

Sunset rose in turn, smiling. “How could I not be? You’re always worth waiting for.”

Rather than argue otherwise, Wallflower only smiled back, her eyes shining.

For the first time in a while, Sunset felt like that part of Wallflower believed what she said about her. Sensing that recognition, she felt more than happiness or joy. More than euphoria, even. She had an inkling of what the right word might be to describe it, though she knew it would take more time to know for sure.

“So…” Sunset looked around the sprawling garden. “Before we head out, can you tell me anything special about the flowers here? Other than the roses I used to practice magic, I don’t think I recognize any of them.”

There was a spark of magic in Wallflower’s eyes. One that the mirror hadn’t given her. One that she’d carried all this way herself. She took Sunset by the forehoof, leading her to a group of plants with green, fern-like leaves and a cluster of white petals. “These are yarrow, also called Asteraceae.” She delicately showed them to Sunset, her soft, sweet voice almost alluring as she continued, “In mythology, they were used to heal battle wounds…”

While Sunset watched Wallflower move from one end of the garden to the other, one thought rose above everything else:

This must be what love feels like.

Author's Note:

This fic makes use of flower language. All plants mentioned are deliberately chosen.

Gardener Luna is an idea inspired by Sledge115's fantastic fic, Moonbug.

If you liked this story, please go check out Scampy's work. I'm sure you'll like her stories, too.

Thanks for reading. As always, comments are appreciated. :heart:

Comments ( 57 )

Of course she’d spawn in wearing her fucking sweater.

OH MY GOD I LOVE IT FOREVER EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS IS PERFECT

THEYRE SO PURE AND GAY AND LOVING AND GOOD AND PRECIOUS AND ITS PERFECT THANK YOU

okay okay so
okay

okay

holy beans this is a good story

I absolutely adore how you used pony stuff to make Wally's insecurities literal--I've never actually seen a story do that before. All those little moments flitting to her sweater sleeves, that's how you imply heavy stuff and have it enhance the story without taking over the focus of it. It's like adding just the right amount of just the right spice to something you're cooking--it doesn't overwhelm the flavor, rather it enhances it and makes it even better.

Starlight taking the opportunity to give Wally a positive experience was a nice touch, and it's fitting (and sad/ironic/sadronic) that Wally finds a way to twist that positive experience into negative feelings. You very clearly get the way her mind works, why it works that way, and why Sunset specifically is the one person who can effectively break through the haze of deflections and bad thoughts to make Wally feel truly loved. This story is a shining example of why SunFlower is so effing perfect 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Thank you so much for writing this, it's lovely and so are you :heart:

It makes perfect sense to have someone with such an affinity for plants to become an earth pony. It's just too bad that she didn't understand that earth ponies have a magic all their own. (For instance, if she planted and tended a garden on the Equestria side of the portal, I have no doubt it would be amazing.)

So romantic

“Though, we could go there someday, too, if you like. I haven’t been there in a long time.”

You've only been there once, to steal a crown - the place only reappeared some time after you originally left, after all.
Does it really count as having "been there" when you stealthed through a couple hallways and a bedroom in the castle, and never saw the actual town?

When Wallflower replied, “Okay,”

Justified error #3.

10591545

The mirror knows all.

10591701

10591769

I think there's something going on with the site's code. I write everything in GDoc as left-aligned, then copy/paste it into Fimfic's text editor (which only gives me the option of right-aligning or centering, neither of which I do). I've noticed random justified spacing problems cropping up in stories the past couple weeks, though neither of the ones you are seeing are ones I'm seeing right now (Win10, Chrome). Might be worth pinging the mods about, though they are probably aware of the problem.

10591644

Oh, most definitely. She'd be an excellent gardener. She and Luna would probably get along well due to this and other things.

I might have made it a little too subtle, but in the first chapter, Wallflower does notice other Earth ponies doing great, magical things. She just can't see that magic in herself, even if the text (more in the second chapter than the first) implies it's been there all along.

10591819
I saw them on macOS 11, using Brave - which is based on Chrome.
Weird site glitch.

Clicking on "Chapter Formatting", and I'm running Helvetica, 1, Default colours, 1.8, 1.6, Double Spaced, and Justified. Maybe I'll change to non-Justified for now...

Now this is the varied type of stuff I followed you for!

This also is the first SunFlower story I’ve ever read.

10591545
How the hell does that mirror work.

Sweet and adorable. Poor Sunset trying so hard to please, and poor Wallflower trying so hard not to be daunted by it all.

10591859

If you liked this, here are some more good SunFlower romances. :twilightsmile:

10591895

IMO, the mirror gives people/ponies what they need on the other side.

10591960
The primary reason I liked this one, they were ponies!

Simply because there’s not enough pony Sunset to go around if you ask me.

10591968

Ahh, fair enough. Funnily enough, there's another pony SunFlower story that was released today (which I haven't read yet). I think these might be the only ones...

10591975
Yeah I noticed that one, I’ll have to check that one out at some point.

Again - it's the little things that make it. Like the differences in how each describes the color of Wallflower's eyes.

As usual? Nicely done. Good and sweet and proper to the characters.

10592249

10592269

The details really are what makes things like this so important. Thanks for reading. Glad you liked it. :twilightsmile:

Just realized, 10,000 words on the dot!

10592347

Getting to that exact number was a proud moment for me, not gonna lie. :pinkiecrazy:

I thought I caught you using the language of flowers. Excellent detail :twilightsmile:

I do so like the way you employ the little things in life, to make your stories breathe and live as it should. It's heartbreaking how much Wallflower compares and belittles herself to others when she's capable of so, so much more. Poor girl. It's touching how much everyone tries their best to make her feel welcome, too.

I enjoyed how... light the story feels. Don't get me wrong, no, there's a lot of weight to what Wallflower's feeling, but the story does it well enough that it doesn't feel crushing. It feels... warm, soft and all. You definitely portrayed Sunset and Wallflower's dynamic well, in how they handle this little relationship of theirs. It's not perfect, and both of them are well aware. But they'll make it work, and that's what matters the most.

Across from her, Princess Luna set the flowers in her magic down. “This is my niece’s realm, more than mine, but I will do my best.” She looked away, seeming deep in thought, before meeting Sunset’s gaze. “Things only have the meaning you ascribe to them. Flowers start dying from the moment they are cut.” She considered the bounty in her wagon. “Even so, we give them as gifts because of what they mean to us. And that meaning is whatever we decide. Collectively, there are commonalities, but… the true significance is from one pony to another. Do you understand what I am saying, Sunset Shimmer?”

Gardener Luna! :yay: I'm touched and humbled that Moonbug's inspired you here. And aside from that, though, I like how you've smoothly written it here, and how well it fits! A strong message from Luna, and furthermore - Wallflower belittles herself as just a gardener, and yet here comes Luna, an alicorn, the Princess of the Night herself, partaking in her hobby! Gah, now I want to see the two of them interact, just as much as I'd have loved to see Celestia here.

A very touching read :twilightsmile:

Sweet, comforting but not without an idea and a one that I much enjoy.
It must be a scary feeling, knowing that your whole world (and you in it) is a shadow of another one. Of course, this is very much due to Wallflower's self doubt, but I can relate to that very well.
This story made me think about relationship between Sunset and Wallflower. You make them work great. A shame we didn't see anything like that in EG. Wallflower is one of best original characters, and yet we haven't seen her ever since "Forgotten Friendship". (Or have we? I lost track of EG some time ago.) Now I want to see more of SunFlower and this calming contrast of Sunset's energy and Wallflower's fragility. So cute.

Also, it's kind of tragicomedic how Wallflower assumes that everypony is more powerful than her and so makes no difference between Starlight and Trixie. Girl, if you knew! :trixieshiftright:

10591968
FanOfMostEverything also has a SunFlower Goes To Equestria story. Honestly, any Sunset ship is sort of obligated to visit her homeland at some point.

10592347 on the ga-dot

This was wonderful. Really loved it. Very sweet.

10592693

I'm glad to hear my use of detail enhanced the story (and my stories in general), rather than bogged it down. There can be a delicate balance with including details, I think, so I'm glad to hear it's working. Also glad to see you picked up on the flower language. :twilightsmile: I do love my Easter eggs.

I will continue to steal Gardener Luna and other associated ideas from Moonbug because, let's face it, you made a fantastic headcanon. :raritywink: I'd like to think that after Wally had some time to be in her element with Sunset, they had a nice visit with Celestia, along with maybe running into Luna on their way out. The two gardeners could probably have a fun little conversation.

Thanks again for reading and commenting! :ajsmug:

10592705

Sounds about right. :rainbowlaugh: Undertale was such a good game!

10592727

The only time we see Wallflower after Forgotten Friendship in Equestria Girls, as far as I know, is this shot from the Let It Rain music video:

derpicdn.net/img/view/2019/8/25/2127355.png

She's looking up at Sunset, by the way. :raritywink:

Thanks for reading and commenting! Glad you enjoyed the story. :twilightsmile:

10592824

Yeah, I noticed that. Earth ponies have their own magic too, but it's less flashy to most people. I don't have an OC myself, but if I were to make one, I think I'd make her an Earth pony just to... buck the trend.

10593451

Huh, guess that makes three then. And yes, Sunset would be a bad girlfriend not to take someone to visit the magic ponyland at some point.

10594210

Thanks, glad you thought so. :twilightsmile:

10594263
She does make a few more background appearances in Backstage Pass and the associated CYOEs. Interestingly, she's in her original outfit half the time and the Let It Rain outfit the other half.

This is really good. It was masterfully crafted and the change of perspectives really threads it together, especially where Sunset fundamentally mis-reads Wallfloower's nerves.

Just one small thing, stuck out because it's right at the end.

“These are yarrow, also called Asteraceae. ”

Now, technically it's not really wrong, but Asteraceae is a family of plants. A breathtakingly big one, possibly the biggest single family of flowering plants in the world with over 30,000 species (many yet to be discovered too, no doubt). So it's a bit like saying "This is a cat, also called Mammal." (Which is the wrong level, but given there are far fewer mammal species it's a better metaphor for the scope).

I did a masters' degree in species identification and classification and I guess some of it actually stuck.

It's also the kind of slip up that can happen if someone's excited and getting ahead of themselves so if that was intentional it's magnificent.

10595468

It's also the kind of slip up that can happen if someone's excited and getting ahead of themselves so if that was intentional it's magnificent.

I wondered if anyone was gonna catch this. I'm glad you did. :twilightsmile:

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

This was so very sweet and precious, my poor heart is gonna collapse. I absolutely adore how you describe how they express their love and how they feel it. Things like this:

Sunset nuzzled the side of Wallflower’s face with her own. Warmth tingled through Wallflower’s veins. The gesture sparked another fresh wave of flutters. Butterflies danced in her stomach, flapping all the way to her throat.

It's so warm and fluffy but awkward, just like love really is.

Oh Wallflower, this poor girl has so much worry and inadequacy in her heart. The switch over form her perspective to Sunset's was another thing I liked. We see her fears and worries and then Sunset's view of it and how she addresses it. It just works well.

10595753
Oh, that's pretty cool. I never noticed the thing with the flowers. I love it!

10594268
I know I'd be disappointed if my wonderful magical pony girlfriend never took me to magical pony land.

10595762

I take no responsibility for heart problems arising from this story. :ajsmug:

I know I'd be disappointed if my wonderful magical pony girlfriend never took me to magical pony land.

Right? I'm sorry, I couldn't date a literal alien and not be taken to outer space. Good thing Sunset is considerate of this, otherwise she'd be getting dumped a lot. :rainbowlaugh:

Thanks for reading and commenting! Glad you enjoyed the story. :twilightsmile:

Both of your last two didn't seem like my cup of tea, but when I saw your name attached I decided to take a look anyway.
Yeah, I'll probably be checking out any and all of your stuff from now on.
Me and my wife are both wallflower here, making this so relatable. I don't know why she stays with me and she says the same about herself, but we just keep on loving each other. And yeah, that is what love feels like if sunset was still wondering.
Love the transition of characters between chapters. Seeing how both felt about the other, and at those crucial moments, perfect choice.

10596266

I'm glad you and your wife have each other. :twilightsmile:

Glad you enjoyed the story, and I hope I continue to please!

Is it odd that I find pony Wallflower really cute? As in "I wanna squeeze her like a teddy bear" cute?

10606243

Not at all! Though I would argue that Wallflower is adorable and deserves all the hugs, regardless of whether she's a pony or a human. :twilightsmile:

I just wan to say I came for the picture, then I noticed the perfect word count.

Now to actually read this

I want to melt this story down to bits and drink it like the fucking soul-warming soup it is.

I do love a good tale of transdimensional day trips. Doing it in a Sunflower story, with one chapter for each to emphasize the differences and similarities in their perspectives? Brilliant stuff. Thank you for an incredibly sweet read.

This was really beautiful. Lovely read.

Login or register to comment