• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,950 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,950

PreviousChapters Next
185. The Poster Dragon of Being Cool and Rad

Twilight Sparkle tried not to worry about things, but it wasn’t easy. Frankly, she didn’t know how people like Applejack or Rarity managed it.

Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity were all still out of town by the time night fell over Green Neigh; this was completely normal, and in fact was expected by Applejack. Rarity made no illusions about how her trip would take her to Canterlot for at least two days, and Rainbow had apparently told Applejack— but not Twilight!— that she expected her mission to keep her busy overnight.

On top of that, there was Trixie. The little get-together for lunch that everyone had didn’t go very well. Granted, it could’ve gone much worse! But it didn’t go well. Literally not a single word was spoken until well after Trixie had finished her meal and departed the table silently, and those words were merely concern from Applejack that Trixie would try to cause trouble, and Twilight assuaging those fears.

In short, there was a lot to worry about.

And it was for that reason that Twilight was delighted by Spike’s suggestion to have a sleepover, with him, Twilight, and Applejack all gathering in Twilight’s room and just chatting the night away. It was doing wonders for Twilight’s nerves, but then the group ran out of snacks, so Twilight decided to hop down to the inn’s lobby and pick some up.

And on her way back through the dimly-lit midnight lobby, a single ‘pony’ caught her eye, sitting all by herself in the lobby’s rather spacious seating area, shrouded in the darkness of a lonely night with not even the light of her horn to illuminate her or a good book to keep her company.

“Trixie,” Twilight whispered just loud enough for Trixie to jolt herself to attention, and it wasn’t until seeing that reaction that Twilight thought to wonder why she had spoken.

“Twilight Sparkle,” Trixie responded flatly.

“How are you doing?” Twilight asked awkwardly, and if not for the ethereal glow in Trixie’s eyes that cut through the darkness, Twilight wouldn’t have been able to see the grisly stare that acted as Trixie’s only response. Well, okay, dragons’ natural nightvision helped too, but that sounds far less poetic.

“Don’t you have a slumber party to get to,” Trixie said drolly, turning her eyes back toward the ground. Just… anywhere but at Twilight Sparkle, it seemed.

“I do,” Twilight sighed. She was carrying several bag and containers of snacks in her magic, but she set them all on the couch in the seating area for a moment, and took a seat in a lounge chair next to the one Trixie was sitting in. “Do you… want to join us?”

Trixie’s single sharp cackle shattered the quiet ambience of the dark inn like a sledgehammer, and Twilight’s ears clamped against her head as her eyes darted around to make sure no one was bothered by the noise, but no one was around, so it didn’t much matter.

“Don’t act like you want me there,” Trixie spat, her voice harsh, and burning like acid on Twilight’s ears. “And definitely don’t act like your fwiends want me there.”

Twilight took a deep breath.

“Discord really fucked us both up, huh?”

“Wh— don’t say that name!” Trixie hissed, visibly cringing at the mention of their old magic teacher, and Twilight couldn’t blame her; letting that name escape Twilight’s lips felt like choking on broken glass. “And what does that have to do with anything?”

“I used to hate you—”

“I still hate you,” Trixie interrupted, but Twilight shook her head and ignored her.

“—my perspective has changed a lot since we met last though. Or rather, it’s been changing slowly ever since I left the Dragon Lands. I believe so strongly that friendship can change a person’s heart, and as someone who went through the hell of dealing with that man the same as you did, it’s hard for me to not empathize with your pain.”

“You don’t know anything about—”

“Yeah, I get that,” Twilight put her hand up and sighed harshly. “We haven’t had the same exact experiences or anything, but I recognize your pain for what it is. And I know that because of that man, or at least in large part because of him, you never had a real shot at experiencing the magic of friendship. And I would like to offer to change that, if you’re interested.”

“Why?” Trixie growled under her breath, eyes narrowed and looking Twilight over as though she were perhaps a venomous predator.

“I don’t know,” Twilight shrugged and answered as honestly as she could. “Maybe it's trans solidarity. Or maybe it just seems like the right thing to do.”

Twilight groaned as she stood up, and she moved to grab her snacks in her magic, but stopped short.

“You don’t have to take me up on my offer, obviously,” Twilight said. “It’s not my place to tell you what to do. Other than like, don’t murder. But I feel like that should go without saying. Anyway, I’m sure you know where my room is, if you decide you want to join us.”

Twilight picked up her snacks for real this time and trotted out of the seating area, climbing over tables and couches on her way. She looked back at Trixie one last time, and something caught her eye; Trixie’s tail. Or rather, what was left of it.

Unicorn tails were generally long and leonine, but Trixie’s was barely more than a stump; and it didn’t take a genius to figure out why, there wasn’t much tail left after Twilight sunk her fangs into it during their battle.

But Trixie wasn’t in disguise then. Why was her tail still injured even in her pony form?

Twilight could’ve just asked, but would Trixie give her anything resembling an honest answer? No, and Twilight would probably just get a headache for her trouble on top of it.

Oh well, Trixie’s reasons were her own, and Twilight didn’t need to pry. But at the very least, she could fix what she had broken.

A faint raspberry light shone from Twilight’s horn and enchanted Trixie’s tail, and before the fussy bitch had time to protest, Twilight had restored the tail to its former glory, little fluffy bit at the end waggling happily.

“Why?” Trixie asked, narrowing her eyes at Twilight.

“I already told you why,” Twilight said with a shrug and walked off.

“GEEZ, TWILIGHT!” Trixie groaned dramatically and threw her arms into the air, before tromping over to Twilight and rolling her eyes. “If you’re so desperate for me to join your little slumber party, then fine I’ll join, just cuz it’s so pathetic to see you practically slobbing on my knob in desperation.”

“Just be nice,” Twilight said shortly. “I know it’ll be difficult, but just be nice to Applejack and Spike.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Trixie scoffed and batted Twilight’s concerns away. “I’m practically the poster dragon of being cool and rad, I’m sure I won’t cause any problems.”

“Right,” Twilight sighed, dreadfully concerned about what she had just gotten herself into.

Author's Note:

If you enjoyed this chapter, please let me know by leaving a comment! I absolutely adore reading them!
Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next