• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,949 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,949

PreviousChapters Next
250. So It Goes

“Twilight Sparkle,” Pinkie’s smile was shaky and pained, she almost looked demon-possessed, “I wish I was dead.”

“Is that right?” Twilight said tonelessly; not because she didn’t care, but because she felt so overwhelmed that she didn’t know what to do. “Big same.”

“Noooooo I was just kidding!” Pinkie cried real tears, hugging Twilight and shaking her as the two hid out in the bathroom of the restaurant where they took their double date with Trixie and Maud. “You’re not allowed to wish you were dead!”

“Then neither are you!” Twilight yelled, feeling like one of those silly comic characters whose eyes bugged out of their head.

“I know,” Pinkie sighed and fell flat on her back. Twilight patted her tummy and that made her giggle, which made Twilight smile.

Twilight was feeling like she’d been carrying a thousand pounds on her back on a ten thousand mile journey through the desert, and she could tell Pinkie was feeling the same way, so it was nice that they could bond like this and reduce each other’s burdens, at least a little.

“Twilight? Can I be honest?” Pinkie said sadly.

She was past the point of tears, and was now just staring vacantly up at the ceiling. Twilight laid next to her and joined her. Maybe that was rude to do that in a public place, but it didn’t matter to Twilight. Anyone who had a problem with it could take it up with the wrath of a dragon.

“Of course, Pinkie,” Twilight said, “always.”

“I’m depressed,” Pinkie said. “I’ve been worried sick about Maud and Trixie, and about you, and about our trip to the Empire, and especially about Fluttershy, and all that worry was like a fire burning through a rope attached to an anvil over my head. And I think the rope broke.”

Twilight squeezed Pinkie Pie’s hand.

“I feel you,” Twilight sighed, and then she let out an empty laugh. “And I wish I knew what to say or what to tell you. But I’m feeling really lost myself. We’re under the same anvil, you and I.”

“So it goes, huh?” Pinkie chuckled.

“So it goes,” Twilight nodded.

“We gotta do somethin’,” Pinkie groaned and sat up, her hand still holding tightly onto Twilight’s.

“Yeah,” Twilight groaned just as harshly as she sat up, breathing a weary sigh once she was upright. She felt like she was getting old, but she was barely a young adult still. Time was aging the young faster than ever these days it seemed. “We can’t stay in this hole forever.”

“Mixed metaphor,” Pinkie giggled and smiled brightly at Twilight; even now, her smile was so full of beauty. “I like it!”

“Hehe, thank you,” Twilight said bashfully, putting her arm around Pinkie, who replied by putting her arms around Twilight’s stomach. “So what do you want to do?”

“What do I want to do?” Pinkie laughed bitterly. “I dunno, cry? Go to bed? Divorce myself from my family entirely so I don’t have to worry about them ever?”

“What do you really want?” Twilight asked coldly, shooting through Pinkie’s humor to get to the center of her truth.

“You tell me, Twilight,” Pinkie looked Twilight in the eye, “what you want. We’ll exchange truthy goodness.”

Twilight took a deep breath and looked up at the ceiling. She needed to think about it for a sec, cuz she didn’t know.

She didn’t know.

She honestly just… did not know.

“I dunno,” Twilight said blankly, her mind echoing with the revelation. “I honestly don’t know what I want to do, and that’s where my problem is. I want to talk to Shining Armor, but I don’t want to talk to him. I want to help my fellow dragons, but I don’t want to get involved in these battles or these politics. I’m tearing myself up inside because I don’t know what to do.”

Twilight tried to sigh but it came out more like something between a groan and a depressed whimper.

“Okay, Pinkie,” Twilight tried to smile at Pinkie, and she mostly succeeded, “your turn.”

“I dunno what I want either,” Pinkie laughed, and Twilight laughed with her, and the pair’s hug tightened. “But I know what I don’t want, and as much as I hate to admit it, what I don’t want is to have anything to do with Trixie. Maybe someday… I can change my mind. But right now? I don’t want anything to do with her.”

“Then don’t,” Twilight said, caressing Pinkie’s shoulder.

Pinkie took a deep breath…

…in through the nose…

…and out through the mouth.

“Okay,” she said with a shrug. “I’m gonna tell Maud, I guess. Then I’m gonna bounce. You wanna come with?”

“I want to make sure I do right by Trixie,” Twilight said. “It was our idea to double date, and if we just leave them… I’d feel bad about it. Not bad enough not to do it, but… I’d like to clear things up first.”

“Sounds good,” Pinkie stood up and beamed at Twilight, and Twilight got up with a weary groan right after her. “So I guess let’s just—”

The door to the restaurant bathroom opened up and startled Pinkie and Twilight, who forgot they were in a public place. Twilight sighed and looked behind her, curious to get a look at who was interrupting, and she almost couldn’t believe her eyes.

“Rainbow Dash?” Twilight said incredulously.

“Twilight!” Rainbow said, her whole face turning red. “What are you—”

“Hi Rainbow Dash!” Pinkie said in a sing-songy tone and waved excitedly.

“Pinkie! You’re here too!”

“Oh, hello,” Cadance was here too, and suddenly Twilight realized the reason behind Rainbow’s blush.

“Don’t worry,” Twilight said coolly, “we were just leaving.” Twilight took Pinkie by the hand and left for the exit, but she stopped just short. “I hope you treat my girl right, Cadance.”

“Believe me, Twilight Sparkle,” Cadance grinned like a cat and traced a finger under Rainbow’s chin, Rainbow’s body stiffening like a board and an enchanted smile crossing her face, “I’m going to treat her like a queen.”

“Excellent,” Twilight whispered and put her own finger under Rainbow’s chin, guiding her to look at Twilight and planting a kiss on her lips. “Knock her dead, hotshot.”

Author's Note:

i won't know for sure until i hit publish on this, but i'm pretty sure that this, my 250th chapter, officially puts the wordcount for azure edge over the wordcount for the enchanted library. that milestone is pretty meaningless, but i'm proud that i finally reached it :3

If you enjoyed this chapter, please let me know by leaving a comment! I absolutely adore reading them!
Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next