• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,957 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,957

PreviousChapters Next
42. Heart To Heart

Rarity was allowed into the library without any more resistance, and she quickly made her way upstairs to the spacious attic that acted as Spike and Twilight’s joint bedroom.

The thought briefly crossed her mind that this was certainly not how she wanted to visit Twilight’s bedroom for the first time, but she swatted that thought away in disgust because now is hardly the time for such notions, thank you very much!

Spike was on his bed, curled into a ball and moping as he stared out the attic window.

“Spike?” Rarity said softly as she approached. “May I speak with you?”

You can do whatever you want,” Spike huffed, which was not a great sign.

“May I sit next to you?”

Spike shrugged.

Rarity took a deep breath and sat down on the bed next to Spike. He had been crying very recently, and by the way his lip quivered when Rarity fixed her gaze on him, he had only just stopped as Rarity came up the stairs.

“I heard you got into a fight with Twilight,” Rarity said. “What’s the matter?”

“Nothin’,” Spike said with a grumpy shrug.

“Come now, Spike,” Rarity gave a courteous chuckle, “you and I both know that isn’t true. I heard that you were upset with me, and your mother is very upset that you’re upset, and I don’t want to be the cause of any undue conflict between the two of you, so will you please tell me what’s wrong?”

“You’re stealing Twilight,” Spike hissed, “that’s what’s wrong.”

Rarity inhaled sharply through her nose. She already knew that’s what was bothering him, but to hear him say it out loud, directly to her? Well, she would be lying if she said it didn’t sting.

“I’m not trying to—”

Rarity stopped as Spike sniffled and wiped a stream of tears from his face. For a moment, Rarity stopped seeing the huffy, grumpy pegasus who was struggling with childish jealousy, but saw the genuine distress and worry in a small child who felt like he was losing the most important person in his world.

“I’m sorry.”

Rarity couldn’t think of anything else to say.

“I’m so sorry, Spike.”

“Why’re you sorry?” Spike asked, trying in vain to keep his tears at bay.

“Because I wasn’t thinking of you,” Rarity said, her eyes stinging with tears, “and I should have. It never even crossed my mind that my late nights with Twilight were taking her time with you away, and that was wrong of me. I’m sorry.”

“C’mon, Rarity,” Spike put his arm on Rarity’s knee, “please don’t cry.”

“Hey, I’m the one who’s supposed to be comforting you!” Rarity said with a laugh, ruffling Spike’s hair which made him give a soft laugh in return.

“Sorry,” he sniffled, “force of habit.”

“I want you to know,” Rarity said soothingly, her hand resting on Spike’s shoulder and caressing him with her thumb, “that no one is going to take Twilight away from you. She loves you far too much to let that happen.”

“I know,” Spike took a deep breath and wiped his eyes. “I just got scared, cuz we’ve been alone together all this time, now she’s starting to make a bunch of new friends, what if she doesn’t need me anymore?”

“She’ll always need you, Spike,” Rarity said, aghast that Spike would even think such a terrible thing. “You’re her son, and I have it on pretty good authority that you’re her best friend too.”

“Really?” Spike whimpered, his eyes glistening with tears.

“Absolutely,” Rarity gently brushed the tears from Spike’s cheeks. “She talks about you all the time, you know. Just absolutely gushes about you. If there’s one thing I can say about that woman with absolute confidence, it is that she loves her son.”

Spike sniffled and Rarity embraced him in a soft hug, which the young pegasus gladly reciprocated.

“To be honest,” Rarity smiled at Spike, “she talks about you in such glowing terms, that I’ve been rather looking forward to meeting you for real. I just wish our first heart-to-heart had been under better circumstances.”

“I’m sorry, Rarity,” Spike said, his arms wrapped tightly around Rarity’s stomach.

“It’s okay, Spike,” Rarity placed her hand atop Spike’s head and gently stroked his mane. “I understand the feeling of watching someone you care very deeply for suddenly spending so much time with someone else. You feel left out, and it hurts, and I never should have placed that burden on you. For that, I apologize.”

“I know you didn’t mean to hurt my feelings, Rarity,” Spike said, “and I’m sorry I made such a big deal out of—”

“You have nothing to apologize for, darling,” Rarity placed her finger on Spike’s lips to shush him. “Though I do think there’s a certain purple pony who the two of us should probably speak with together. I would very much like to continue seeing her, but I also have no desire to siphon the time she shares with you.”

“Knowing her,” Spike chuckled, “she’ll probably try to put together a color-coordinated schedule and jot down specific times to hang out with everyone, right down to the minute.”

“Oh goodness, I could absolutely see it,” Rarity giggled. “Well, let’s go down there and talk to her before she starts organizing her life down to the second and forgets to put eating or bathroom breaks on there.”

“And then she realizes she didn’t plan for them,” Spike giggled, “and as soon as she has to go she freaks out cuz it’s not in the schedule!

“Oh the poor dear,” Rarity laughed, “where would she be without her friends watching out for her?”

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next