• Published 31st Dec 2018
  • 3,944 Views, 1,221 Comments

Azure Edge - Leaf Blade



Rarity is a Slayer. Her life is devoted to hunting the bloodthirsty beasts and magical monsters that would threaten the sleepy winter homes of Equestria, but that doesn't mean she can't flirt with the cute librarian during her days off. [Omniship]

  • ...
22
 1,221
 3,944

PreviousChapters Next
27. In Which Rarity Meets a Cute Librarian

“You’ve finally done it, Rainbow,” Rarity said in mock-defeat as she followed Rainbow Dash’s steps, “you’ve finally convinced me. So how do you feel?”

“Pumped!” Rainbow turned to Rarity and grinned. “Super hyped! How ‘bout you?”

“Intrigued,” Rarity said after a short pause, “let’s leave it at that.”

Nearly three weeks ago, Rainbow Dash had visited a library. A most unbefitting place for her to be, Rarity had thought when Rainbow told her, and yet nearly every day that the two had seen each other since, Rainbow had pestered Rarity to come with her to the library.

Not necessarily for the books, though Rainbow was always eager to share the exciting adventures of Daring Do whenever the opportunity presented itself, but Rainbow returned almost every day to the library for another reason, a reason she seemed absolutely certain that Rarity would appreciate just as much as she had:

The librarian.

And every time Rainbow would request Rarity join her library escapades, Rarity would always find some way to excuse herself. Now that she finally had a reason to go, she wondered why she had put it off so long, but the truth of it was as simple as it was depressing.

There is no life outside the Hunt, and now the Hunt had led her to the library.

If one had seen Rainbow Dash’s excitement when Rarity shared with her their mission, to slay a frenzied cragadile in Haysead Swamp, one would have thought Rainbow was possessed by some sort of spirit.

No, it wasn’t the mission itself that excited Rainbow, but Rarity’s admission that she knew next to nothing about cragadiles. That was when Rainbow became excited, because she knew exactly where they could learn all the information they needed; or rather, from whom.

“Trust me, Rarity,” Rainbow said with a huge grin, completely unable to contain her excitement, “you’re gonna love the librarian! She’s smart, she’s rad, she’s really funny, and hey she’s trans just like us. She said it was cool if I tell you that.”

“I take it she already knows that we have that in common?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah, sorry,” Rainbow said bashfully, stopping in her tracks and rubbing the back of her neck. “I kinda made an offhand comment one time that like all my friends are trans and she put two and two together.”

“Which makes her better at math than you are,” Rarity smirked, giving Rainbow a very smug side-eye.

“Har har,” Rainbow stuck out her tongue and sighed. “I am sorry though, I didn’t mean to out you or anything.”

“You have nothing to apologize for,” Rarity traced her thumb across Rainbow’s cheek. “It’s not like my gender situation is a secret, or as if you outed me to somepony dangerous.”

“Yeah I guess,” Rainbow huffed. “Still feels bad though. Outing your friends is just not a cool thing to do ever.”

“True,” Rarity shrugged and put her arm around Rainbow, dragging her into some combination of a hug and a headlock. “But in this case no harm was done, so don’t worry your pretty little head over it.”

“Okay fine,” Rainbow laughed softly and squirmed her way out of Rarity’s embrace.

Rarity pondered for a second as she continued following Rainbow to the library; it was true that almost all of Rainbow and Rarity’s friends were trans, but it was also true that Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Luna, and Celestia were the only trans ponies Rarity could think of off the top of her head, and it was depressing to think that she had so few friends in the world.

Maybe striking up a relationship with this librarian wouldn’t be such a bad idea after all.

Rainbow had long since given up the pretense of restraint by the time they reached the giant oak tree nestled into the side of the snowy mountain; Rarity almost likened her to a child on Hearth’s Warming Eve.

While Rainbow headed inside to prepare her friend the librarian for Rarity’s arrival, Rarity lingered outside and her eyes fell on the tarnished golden plaque that rested above the library’s entrance way.

The Golden Oaks Library.

Rarity thought the name was quite majestic, and she giggled to herself that she was already taking a shine to the place.

She didn’t wait for Rainbow Dash to return to step into the building, it was a public place after all, and Rarity had no desire to stand around in the snow and blistering cold. Rarity let out a quiet gasp as she walked inside and a radiant warmth instantly washed over her as soon as she shut the door behind her.

The first thing that caught her attention was the smell not only of old books, but also of burning incense. She found it rather peculiar for a moment, but breathing deeply into it she discovered it was quite pleasant.

The library was so warm compared to the winter landscape outside, and even the hardwood under her hooves felt bright and inviting, as if the very place beckoned her to come further inside.

Everywhere she looked she saw rows and rows of bookcases and she was baffled by just how many books could seemingly fit inside of one tree, even musing that the place must have been bigger on the inside than out.

It was comforting. That was the primary conclusion that Rarity had come to; that being in the library felt comfortable, and that was a far cry from her usual routine. Even her own house or her home in Hunter’s Haven weren’t ‘comfortable’. Familiar, certainly. Pleasant even. But not comfortable.

It was beautiful too. Rarity couldn’t help but admire the sleek and efficient designs of the bookcases, the plush chairs that sat in a circle in the lobby, or the reception desk which she swore must have been made from the finest polished mahogany.

Everything was lovely, but the most beautiful thing in the room—besides Rarity herself, of course—walked out of a doorway to the side of the reception desk.

The librarian.

Rarity was leaning against the reception desk when the librarian walked into the lobby, and the lavender mare had yet to see her, so Rarity took a moment to appreciate the woman’s beauty.

Her fur looked soft and vibrant, her long indigo hair tied into a ponytail that fell past her shoulders was already a stunning sight, but the streaks of deep violet and bright pink that streamed through it made it even more so.

But Rarity was most of all captivated by the woman’s eyes; stunning violet that glittered with ethereal light.

“You’re the librarian, I presume?” Rarity said softly, alerting the woman to her presence and seemingly startling her, if her little adorable squeak was any indication.

“I am,” the librarian said with a bow of her head. She walked behind the reception desk, so Rarity took her elbow off of it and stood up properly to look her in the eye. “How can I help you?”

“I can see why Rainbow keeps coming back here,” Rarity said with a soft laugh, “you’re quite easy on the eyes.”

Rarity’s comment was meant to clue the librarian in that she was friends with Rainbow—as Rainbow had suggested she do in the event that Rarity met the librarian without her—but Rarity couldn’t deny that she looked forward to seeing the cute librarian’s reaction to Rarity’s light flirting.

“Oh, um,” the librarian cleared her throat and looked away, but she had a very distinct blush across her cheeks. Suddenly her ears flicked up and she looked back at Rarity. “You know Rainbow Dash?”

“Yes, I—”

“You’re her partner!”

Rarity wondered for half a second how on earth she figured that much so suddenly, but by tracing the librarian’s line of sight to the dragon fang hanging around Rarity’s neck, she found her answer.

“You’re Rarity, then,” the librarian said confidently, and she suddenly seemed like a much different mare than the one who had been so easily flustered just a second ago. “Rainbow Dash has told me about you. You’re a Slayer like she is, but you’re kind, and generous, and would never hurt an innocent.”

“Right,” just like all Slayers, Rarity wanted to conclude, but she didn’t, for thanks to Rainbow’s prior warning she was well aware of the librarian’s distaste of her guild. “And you are Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight nodded, but seemed preoccupied as she continued to look over Rarity, not that Rarity could blame her, of course. “She also said you were—” the librarian looked Rarity up and down for a moment and bit down on her lip to an almost comical degree.

“Charming? Illustrious? Beautiful?”

“Yes, that,” the librarian cleared her throat awkwardly.

“And am I?” Rarity put her hand on the desk and leaned toward Twilight Sparkle, fluttering her eyelashes.

The librarian gulped audibly and that familiar rosy hue crossed her cheeks, to Rarity’s delight.

“Hey, I couldn’t find her in the—” Rainbow Dash jumped from the second story balcony, using her wings to slow her descent, and her eyes immediately locked onto Twilight Sparkle. “Oh, there you are! Thought you’d be in your room, so I knocked!”

“I was in the kitchen,” Twilight said, Rarity thinking it was unusual for a library to even have a kitchen before remembering that this library was not merely Twilight’s place of business, but her home as well. “You told me you were bringing a guest, so I prepared milk and cookies, like we do for our book club.”

“And how is she?” Rainbow grinned and cocked her head toward Rarity, who played with a curl of her hair, shooting a tender glance at Twilight. “Everything I said she’d be, right?”

“She’s—” Twilight looked at Rarity and it was as if all incentive to speak had washed away from her, her face turning a very bright pink. “I should check on the cookies!”

With that, Twilight fled behind the very door she had come through, leaving behind a rather confused Rainbow Dash and a rather pleased Rarity.

“Hope you didn’t tease her too much,” Rainbow said.

“Not at all, darling,” Rarity smiled. “I was nothing but honest.”

Author's Note:

*steam boat noises* all aboard the s.s. raritwi!

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

PreviousChapters Next